Pliny The Younger | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

Reviews: 922 | Ratings: 2,924
3.79/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

had last years batch at obriens in san diego. about 30 people for one keg. everyone got as much as they wanted, real chill atmosphere with people enjoying the nice san diego weather.

not much to talk about, really hoppy. I prefer elder over the younger, and prefer many other ipas over the elder.
don't believe the hype

4.74/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was fortunate enough to be visiting friends in the Bay area so drove myself up to RR for the first morning of release. 3 Hour Line around the block but very worth it. Easily the best IPA I have had so far. So well balanced, the fresh hop oils are my favorite part, and just an excellent mouthfeel. Very resiny but the high abv is hardly noticeable. I very much enjoyed every drop of all 3 pours.

4.78/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

By far the best triple IPA I've ever had. Got two large pours at the Stone Brewery last month and this baby packs a punch but goes down like a single IPA. Definitely not boozy at all like most triple IPA's I have had. Looked great, Smelled light, Tasted Smooth and went down smooth. Great beer, not sure if I would wait in line for hours for this, but worth standing in a line for 30 minutes for sure every time.

4.72/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I went into this thinking it would be good but probably really wouldn't live up to the hype. I was wrong. While the Elder has many peers nowadays, the Younger is still elite. Pretty much what you'd expect from an IPA rated so high. Excellent taste, smell, flavor and mouth feel.

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

I found myself in Philly with the family for the weekend. Serendipitously this trip coincided with some Younger tappings. Had a pleasant wait at the front of the line outside of Monk's Cafe, which was good enough to get one of the five or so seats at the front bar. 6oz pour served in a wine glass.

4.0 A: Nearly clear golden color. One finger of white lacing.

5.0 S: Superbly resiny and grassy, yet ultimately clean overall. Also tons of tropical fruits in there - mango, pineapple, papaya. The intensity of the aroma is where it's at though. I kept an inch in my glass for quite some time so I could keep smelling it.

4.75 T: Moderate bitterness. Resiny, grassy, tropical hops. Had an Elder to compare and surprisingly it tasted quite similar, just a bit more intense.

4.75 M: Medium body. No alcohol to speak of. Lightly spritzy and quite creamy.

5.0 D: Awesome beer that may be worth the wait in line, but not something I'd travel for. Having joined BA when this was THE beer atop the best of list, I'm glad I finally got to slay this whale.

This one was a 5 for me. It might be mainly because of the hype and rarity, but I absolutely loved every drop of this beer. It was clean and crisp like most west coast IPAs, but had the juiciness of a NE hopped IPA.

4.51/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2016 edition.Beautiful gold with a decent head. Tropical fruit aromas with a touch of pine. Flavor is similar with a rich yet deceptively smooth feel. Perfection of balance. Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had at Burgers n Brew in Davis. Waited 3 hours to get this - missing church ...now been 26 years since I was in church....I blame beer. Pours a typical Amber with modest head and lacing. So tropical and fruity....but so overwhelmingly smooth - hard to believe this is 10%. Such a great triple IPA. What also makes this beer better is that Mike and Chris haven't had it...which makes them inferior beer drinkers

4.79/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours light amber and small head. Good carbonation. Aroma isn't as pronounced as i'd like, but floral and citrus are present. Taste is incredible, citrus, floral, earthy, but so smooth for abv its hard to believe this is a Triple IPA. Smoother even than Elder IMO, malt and hops nearly perfect balance. Maybe my favorite hoppy beer.

4.36/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Vibrant golden color with thick white head. Intense aroma of mango, orange and a little peach. These continue to the taste, with little alcohol kick at end, a slight spiciness and lingering hop bitterness. Medium bodied. Amazing beer that's definitely worth trying at least once.

4.67/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

All time want. Had at Saraveza, 10/10 for their handling of this, walked right in and had this peer on their patio on a beautiful Portland Spring evening...

Beautiful beer, golden wheat color, clear and beautiful carbonation. Thin, pure white head that laces beautifully all the way through. Aroma is rather gentle and subtle, smells nice, the aroma is more malt.

Beautiful balance here in taste and feel. Hop forward with a nice progression all the way through.

So happy to have tried this beer.

4.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So today, I got to try super-rare Pliny the Younger at Slater's 50/50 in Anaheim Hills. I'll put this into perspective: I'm a fan of Russian River's beers. Elder, Consecration and Blind Pig are among my all-time favorite beers. Do I think the Younger is worth a three-hour wait? If just for the beer itself? No. However, It was a great opportunity to socialize with other beer-lovers.

Is the Younger a damn good beer? You bet it is. It's rich, citrusy, piney flavor is beautifully balanced by a syrup-thick mouthfeel and malty milkshake-sweetness that's absolutely superb. I'm not debating the quality of the beer here. It's the hype behind it, and the trouble people go to obtaining it. You'd think Younger was made from white truffles and 24k solid gold by how crazy people go over it.

There are so many great beers out there that are underrated, that many people don't know about. You can obtain Trappistes Rochefort 8 from BevMo, and it's an equally good, if not better brew than Younger. If you're ever out in Denver, Colorado, Odessa Brewing Company makes a mean double IPA that hangs with the best of 'em. There are German selections out there that are just tops.

So if you don't make a Younger tasting, you're simply missing out on only one great beer in an endless sea of great beers. It's good, but it's not the "best ever," as some make it out to be. You could sit at home with an easily-had Rochefort or Grapefruit Sculpin, and enjoy yourself without all the stress and chaos. Cheers!

4.69/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This was my first time having the Pliny the Younger. We've all heard about how great this beer was, but many of us haven't had the chance to have one.. Some would say its not worth the lines you'd have to wait for a glass or its price. Maybe some would hate on its hype. This beer is worth all its hype! its such a light triple IPA. Nothing like any other 10% beer I've had before. Looks and smells amazing. its darker then I thought it would be. The hype is so real.

4.34/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Draft at the brewpub. Pours clear orange-gold with a slender, frothy white head. The nose has a lot of piney hops, pale bread, tangerine, light grass. Medium sweet flavor with some juicy melon, tangerine, light piney bitterness, peach, alcohol. Full bodied, lightly chewy, with fine to average carbonation. Warming finish, lightly resinous, with lots of juicy citrus fruits, tangerine, some grapefruit, nips of boosty alcohol, orange, mango, mellow bitter grass and citrus rind. Well, it’s very good, and very drinkable, but there are more expressive ’imperial’ IPAs out there nowadays. Still, I can appreciate that this is juicy and drinkable stuff.

4.01/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tried it on tap at a local event. First impression was that the aroma was lacking. Maybe it was an older keg (2-3 weeks). The taste was overly sweet, which was unheard of from Russian River's beers that tend to be balanced nicely.

4.63/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

really good beer just like pliny the elder just more bitter and hoppy and stronger but all that said its super smooth still. if you get a chance its a must try.

Got some today at the taproom San Diego. Best thing I've ever seen, smelled, or tasted. Words just can't do it justice so I won't even try. Ill just say that world class is quite an understatement.

4.99/5  rDev +6.9%

Drank this right after the Elder. First impression was pretty good. Then I went back to the Elder and it tasted watery. Blown away by that. Ate some bread to cleanse the palate and went back to the Younger. Obviously as the score indicates it was incredible. Pine, Dank, Grapefruit, Resin all X 2. Seek it out and wait in line for an hour for this beer. You won’t be disappointed.

4.43/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got to try this after all these years last weekend at Toronado. It's absolutely a great beer, but I was sure there was no way it was going to live up to the hype and I was right. It smells incredible, but I honestly thought the flavor was a little on the boozy side, and after two 7 oz glasses, I felt like I'd had enough. So glad to have tried it though, life goal fulfilled!

4.55/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2016 version.
Look: 9oz pour. Good frothy head and amber in color.
Smell: Tropical, piney, and floral. Just dank!
Taste: Follows the smell.
Feel: Perfect carbonation and very smooth for +10% abv. Not boozy at all.
Overall: Had this three straight years and this year seems to be the best.

4.85/5  rDev +3.9%

Had the Younger on two separate occasions at the same establishment with consistent results limited to two 5oz tulip tasting glasses. Clear, light amber color with little head. Sweet vanilla, orange and papaya nose with just the slightest, slightest hint of barnyard animal aromas, but in a good way. Creamy, rounded and well balanced flavors of vanilla, citrus and tropical fruit with just the right amount of hops. Had a pint of the Elder next to the Younger for comparison purposes and I can say the Younger is no comparison. Big, big triple IPA with smooth and delicate features. Delicious!

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

2016 version on tap at O'Briens San Diego.
Poured into a 10oz glass.
The absolute freshest IPA I have ever had. The hop complexity is outstanding. Perfect carbonation. The smell is of fresh citrus fruit. The look is golden yellow with a nice head. You do not realize that you are drinking a 11% beer. The best IPA I have ever had.

Had the 2016 this last week at the brewery and it was the best batch yet! It made Elder taste like water to me side by side. Fabulous full bodied and incredibly balanced. If I didn't know that it was 11.25% ABV I wouldn't have had a clue......until later.

4.9/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Harry's Hofbrau in San Jose, Ca.

Transparent golden. Slight lacing
Tropical fruits, floral bouquet
Piney, melons, slight citrus
medium mouthfeel, the alcohol is very well hidden.
Glad I got to try this epic liquid

Lucky enough to catch the 2nd keg before it tapped out at Toronado. No wait in line made this even better than last year. It's that time of year when I stalk my social media accounts waiting to see where it may or may not get tapped. I hope to try a couple more times before this season is over.

The appearance is bright with citrus. Smell is juicy. Taste is smooth as can be, hard to believe it's a triple. Feel makes me think the trouble to try this beer is worth it. Overall happy to say I had one but I'll be happier if I can find a couple more.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company