Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 2,697 | Reviews: 919

Great IPA. Not sure why it's in the top 10 on BA. But great

4.06/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

A great beer. Great floral and citrus scents. Dry finish with overall low boosiness. Great marketting makes this beer highly sought after. I have tried it three times 2015 being the best.

The 2015 batch was significantly better than the 2014, in my opinion. In 2014 my friends and I enjoyed younger but wouldn't have put it as a top beer, however, in 2015 the experience was completely different. The floral smell at the start told us this was a different brew. It was smooth with an overall amazing taste. Hard to believe it was over 10%. By far, the best beer I've had.

1st keg at falling rock in 2015
great ipa but over-hyped. lacking carb and head, almost no lacing

4.78/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

8oz pour @ Pizza Port Carlsbad during the Younger tapping

A - Pours a dark amber color. No head on the glass we got since they were pouring and walking them out to us. It had dissipated by the time we got it. Looks very similar to Elder.

S - Sweet hops. Tropical fruits, pine. The 11% is no where to be found.

T - I must say this is the smoothest triple I have ever had. Again, sweet hops up front, lots of pineapple, underneath the sweetness is a piney, resinous, dank note. People say its like Elder cranked up, and I can see that. As it warmed, much more bitterness came out, as well as some candied orange.

O - Did this live up to the hype? Yes. Its delicious. Best triple I have had. Would I wait hours on hours for a small pour of this? Probably not.

4.89/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Late review - tasted at Toronado in 2013. Blown away by mellowness of this high abv double (triple?) IPA. Hops are big but not overwhelming. Lives up to the hype.

4.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Better than elder. Though not too different than Simtra or Notorious. Really good for the style.

4.85/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A must have. Great IPA from this northern cali

Perfection. Flavor a mile deep.

4.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap 2015 in Monks in Philly. It was allright.

For not being an IPA fan, this Triple IPA is something that I wish you could purchase in a bottle. Tap availability only makes it taste that much better, sucks for those who do not get Russian River.

Ok, had to find out what the hype was all about. Waited 90 minutes and was told I was a genius for going on a Tuesday. The nice thing is, Russian River only allows in as many as can be seated (none of the usual madhouse, quite civilized) and they charge the normal pricing for it (and are proud of it! Truly a labor of love!). Background: I'm not a hoppy guy. Doppelbocks, stouts, porters, ciders are where I live. This beer changed all that. Smooth, amazingly smooth with a hoppy finish at the back / center of the tongue. Not overpowering at all in taste but packs a punch at 10%. Very much worth the wait. Best beer I've ever had? Yes. Easily the best IPA. Got to enjoy seven (10 oz) glasses this year and I'll be back for more next year.

Simply the greatest beer known to man. If you can get a chance to enjoy Younger, you need to jump on that chance right away!

Uh Not sure what @GregSpeaksHisMind is smoking but I'll have what he's having. Protip: If you have to claim your taste is "impeccable", it isn't.

1.68/5  rDev -64.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I'm not going to lie...I bought into all the hype of this beer. I read the countless reviews from you guys praising this "holy grail" of beer. I was nuts for waiting in line for 5 hours just to sample this beer. Can you guys all pitch in for the time I wasted waiting for this over hyped beer? Seriously...I'll start a go fund me and you can all chip in.

My palette is impeccable so I know it's not me. This beer, if you want to call it that, wasn't the worst I've ever experienced (Sierra Nevada) but it's a close second. It's the equivalent of drinking fermented eggs with a hint of hibiscus. Seriously you guys have things backwards here at Beer Advocate. I'm sure all sane people will agree with me. 2 thumbs down. 1.75/5.

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

First sip at Mediterraneo Hermosa Beach annual Pliny the Younger celebration March 2015 with JT.

4.94/5  rDev +5.3%

Toronado - San Francisco, CA - draft (San Francisco Beer Week)

4.8/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

FINALLY tracked this one down! 7oz pour into a tulip glass. Floral and light citrus nose. Resinous and a bit piney with some heat from the booze, but amazingly well balanced for a big 11% triple IPA. I understand the hype... this beer was very solid!

4.27/5  rDev -9%

A beer I thought I'd never get to try. 64 oz. growler poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear orange body with a small white head. A few wisps on the surface and a thin collar.

Smell - Orange. Some pine hops. Lots of caramel malt, but doesn't smell all that sugary.

Taste - Tastes like an amped up Pliny. Orange hops up front. Sweet pale malts. A touch of booze. Pine hops build in the back end with a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Not a sugar bomb, which I was afraid of. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Glad I got to try it. It's very good. I'd take a lot of things over it, especially if it avoids a trip to CA to get a taste.

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%

Wait was 2 1/2 hours, weather was perfect (as usual) and we got seated right away on the patio. I got an Elder to taste side by side, and was surprised to find Elder to be a better beer in every way. And Elder isn't even the best IPA on tap every day! Still, I had a great time and probably will too. Just don't expect to have your mind blown, Younger is good but this is an over-hyped release that owes its weeks of long lines to those who suffer from FOMO.

Row 2 however, is the bomb.

Pony and a surprisingly assertive bitterness with herbal aroma and a persistent head. Definitely drinkable but overhyped.

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%

Wine glass on tap, pre purchased to avoid crowds.

Surprisingly disappointing nose but hard for the beer not to be disappointing given all the hype. Nice, little fruity, not too overpowering.

Mouth feel standard, little less bubbles than average.

Light pretty pour with a small head

Taste was clean - reminded me a bit of heady topper. Couldn't really taste the alcohol - definitely a nice bitter clean ending which somehow reminded me of a stainless steal finished white wine.

4.19/5  rDev -10.7%

I Prefer elder... A little less intense

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My number one IPA. Its a must every year now

4.83/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

3/2015 on tap at the Pour House. Fantastic DIPA, but now that I've had it, I wouldn't fight crowds and drive hours to try it again..... But, I certainly wish it was easier to obtain....

Believe the hype. This beer is great.

to view more.