Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

to view more.
Ratings: 2,680 | Reviews: 912
4.85/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A must have. Great IPA from this northern cali

Perfection. Flavor a mile deep.

4.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap 2015 in Monks in Philly. It was allright.

For not being an IPA fan, this Triple IPA is something that I wish you could purchase in a bottle. Tap availability only makes it taste that much better, sucks for those who do not get Russian River.

Ok, had to find out what the hype was all about. Waited 90 minutes and was told I was a genius for going on a Tuesday. The nice thing is, Russian River only allows in as many as can be seated (none of the usual madhouse, quite civilized) and they charge the normal pricing for it (and are proud of it! Truly a labor of love!). Background: I'm not a hoppy guy. Doppelbocks, stouts, porters, ciders are where I live. This beer changed all that. Smooth, amazingly smooth with a hoppy finish at the back / center of the tongue. Not overpowering at all in taste but packs a punch at 10%. Very much worth the wait. Best beer I've ever had? Yes. Easily the best IPA. Got to enjoy seven (10 oz) glasses this year and I'll be back for more next year.

Simply the greatest beer known to man. If you can get a chance to enjoy Younger, you need to jump on that chance right away!

Uh Not sure what @GregSpeaksHisMind is smoking but I'll have what he's having. Protip: If you have to claim your taste is "impeccable", it isn't.

1.68/5  rDev -64.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I'm not going to lie...I bought into all the hype of this beer. I read the countless reviews from you guys praising this "holy grail" of beer. I was nuts for waiting in line for 5 hours just to sample this beer. Can you guys all pitch in for the time I wasted waiting for this over hyped beer? Seriously...I'll start a go fund me and you can all chip in.

My palette is impeccable so I know it's not me. This beer, if you want to call it that, wasn't the worst I've ever experienced (Sierra Nevada) but it's a close second. It's the equivalent of drinking fermented eggs with a hint of hibiscus. Seriously you guys have things backwards here at Beer Advocate. I'm sure all sane people will agree with me. 2 thumbs down. 1.75/5.

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

First sip at Mediterraneo Hermosa Beach annual Pliny the Younger celebration March 2015 with JT.

4.81/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Toronado - San Francisco, CA
San Francisco Beer Week

4.8/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

FINALLY tracked this one down! 7oz pour into a tulip glass. Floral and light citrus nose. Resinous and a bit piney with some heat from the booze, but amazingly well balanced for a big 11% triple IPA. I understand the hype... this beer was very solid!

4.27/5  rDev -9%

A beer I thought I'd never get to try. 64 oz. growler poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear orange body with a small white head. A few wisps on the surface and a thin collar.

Smell - Orange. Some pine hops. Lots of caramel malt, but doesn't smell all that sugary.

Taste - Tastes like an amped up Pliny. Orange hops up front. Sweet pale malts. A touch of booze. Pine hops build in the back end with a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Not a sugar bomb, which I was afraid of. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Glad I got to try it. It's very good. I'd take a lot of things over it, especially if it avoids a trip to CA to get a taste.

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%

Wait was 2 1/2 hours, weather was perfect (as usual) and we got seated right away on the patio. I got an Elder to taste side by side, and was surprised to find Elder to be a better beer in every way. And Elder isn't even the best IPA on tap every day! Still, I had a great time and probably will too. Just don't expect to have your mind blown, Younger is good but this is an over-hyped release that owes its weeks of long lines to those who suffer from FOMO.

Row 2 however, is the bomb.

Pony and a surprisingly assertive bitterness with herbal aroma and a persistent head. Definitely drinkable but overhyped.

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%

Wine glass on tap, pre purchased to avoid crowds.

Surprisingly disappointing nose but hard for the beer not to be disappointing given all the hype. Nice, little fruity, not too overpowering.

Mouth feel standard, little less bubbles than average.

Light pretty pour with a small head

Taste was clean - reminded me a bit of heady topper. Couldn't really taste the alcohol - definitely a nice bitter clean ending which somehow reminded me of a stainless steal finished white wine.

4.19/5  rDev -10.7%

I Prefer elder... A little less intense

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My number one IPA. Its a must every year now

4.83/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

3/2015 on tap at the Pour House. Fantastic DIPA, but now that I've had it, I wouldn't fight crowds and drive hours to try it again..... But, I certainly wish it was easier to obtain....

Believe the hype. This beer is great.

4.49/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Happy to finally try this whale. It was damn good, but not one I need to seek out. Perfect balance of super hoppy and nice malt backbone. Great aroma.

Edit - had a second glass which was so much better than the first. Now I understand the hype.

4.89/5  rDev +4.3%

Like the elder on steroids. Tasted smoother and not as malty when I had them side by side. Just imagine a more potent or concentrated elder and you get the younger. An amazing beer!

3.99/5  rDev -14.9%

2014 release on tap at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach.

4.83/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Worth the wait, had it three times in one day at 3 different spots.

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Worthy of the hype...the alcohol is apparent but seems part of the overall package that is not overly anything...bitter, but not too much so....well balanced...good hop kick with fruit notes from many angles...tropical comes to mind...

4.65/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This and the elder side by side made the elder seem like it had no hops it in. Amazing beer. Super light body, not painfully malty like you could expect at 11% and honestly not crazy hoppy either.

4.29/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Three 10oz pours at the RR Brewery in Feb/2015