Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,300
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros

pbsmooth, Dec 14, 2011

DavyJones, Mar 09, 2013

readicculus, Nov 14, 2011

On tap at RRBC on Tuesday the 8th and again on Friday the 11th.
Trying very hard not to get caught up in the hype but couldn't help it.
This is one amazing beer. The perfect balance between flowery smoothness and hoppy essence you want from a DIPA.
It just tastes sooo good!
Thanks for the memories RRBC! My new gold standard to measure all others.

NWer, Feb 12, 2011

jp7161, Apr 08, 2012

Britton, Nov 18, 2011

Pooles26, Aug 12, 2014

Snikwad1020, Feb 10, 2013

Weird, it appears I didn't actually review this when I had it last year. I guess I have to rectify that mistake.

There's nothing I could say that hasn't been said already, so I'll focus more on differences between this year (2013) and last year.

Last year I waited a week to go to the brewery, so I was first in line. Unfortunately, this meant I was wasted by noon - not the most fun thing. My main recollection is that PtY was the most smooth, drinkable 10+% ABV beer I'd ever had in my life. The alcohol was smooth and well integrated, providing a spicy background flavor and a bit of alcohol sweetness to balance the massive hop bomb. This is nothing like the typical SoCal double or triple ipa, which is more like an overhopped barleywine and you can't drink more than a snifter of it. It smells so great you don't want to stop sniffing it and actually drink it!

This year, Natalie claims they added more hops and it is the 'best Younger ever'. I did notice that the quoted ABV on the board was 10.8%, while I think I remember it being more like 10.5% last year. My first thought this year was the opposite of last year - there was a LOT more alcohol heat. While the 2012 PtY tasted like a smooth 7-8% DIPA, you could taste every percentage point of alcohol in this year's younger. Palate fatigue starts to set in pretty quickly, so the first taste is like manna from heaven, but the last isn't nearly as good. I recommend eating this year's younger with food, probably some pizza bites, to periodically restart your palate.

I also made the mistake of showing up on the Saturday after Younger day, and thus waited SEVEN hours in line.... Yeah. Seven. Won't be doing that again.

Don't get me wrong. PtY is still an excellent beer, and it is still more drinkable and better made than any other double or triple ipa you can get. Even this year's PtY hides its alcohol better than other DIPAs, like the Hop Henge I tried just two nights before. I'm basing my 5 score on last year's younger. I would dock this year's maybe 1/2 point on flavor for the alcohol heat and the overall increased 'roughness' of flavor.

Side note: I wish there was a way to score on drinkability of a beer, which seems like a much more important factor in the enjoyment of a beer than appearance or mouthfeel.

JupiterJesus, Apr 19, 2012

GarrettB714, Feb 21, 2012

rob133, Nov 14, 2011

ricoch3t, Nov 17, 2011

Altenor, Jun 28, 2013

2/28/11 - 8oz pour in to a tulip glass

The color was exceptional, a clear shiny copper color with a thin white head that was only about 1 finger or so that dissipated quickly.

The aroma was full of citrusy & floral hops. A very intense aroma for a beer, but had the perfect blend of hops in the nose that work very well with each other.

Taste was amazing. It was sweeter and maltier than I expected, possibly to better balance out the loads of hops this beer has. Full of grapefruit and sweet like honey. The finish has a nice piney note on the end as well.

Mouthfeel was perfect, not too heavy or light, the carbonation was a bit lower than most IPAs, but suited this beer just right. It really brought out the smoothness and balance between the malts & hops on the tongue without the bringing out the bitterness.

This is quite possibly the best balanced IPA I've had even though it's a TIPA. I love the Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder, this is just one step beyond and much more refined. Excellent beer, well worth the wait, only wish it was more readily available.

Prospero, Mar 01, 2011

On-tap@Toronado S.F. on 2-6-09(Good times Joe...good times!)
Warmed up with a pint of his uncle to be able to fully appreciate the differences...
Looks lighter in hue and less haze than his uncle PtE. Smell is a big dose of hops, no malt or alcohol comes through. Taste is nothing short of spectacular! Just so easy to quaff, but with each drink you feel yourself getting more and more buzzed. This is hands-down the best triple IPA. It's just so smooth and rounded you feel like you can drink it 'till the cows come home. Then before you know it your on your thrid one and crossed-eyed, stumbling out looking for a cab! I'm knida glad they don't bottle this one(yet) because I could see myself going overboard on this beer(literally, I ride the ferry everyday). People go wild over this beer with good reason, it's the best! I thank my lucky stars(and curse them at the same time)that I live in the bay and get to have all these awsome RR beers!

ironlung, Feb 07, 2009

jburchett, Feb 11, 2012

CaptinRedBeard, Nov 16, 2011

ryser2k, Mar 06, 2013

When looking, you probably won't think this is the greatest beer in the world. It's real yellow. But the aroma, jeez, what is this, like triple or quadruple dry hopped?

Amazing aroma, dry hops of multiple hop varieties, summit, amarillo seem plentiful. So smooth, yet so hoppy, you don't taste a hint of alcohol, a favorite at the DIPA festival hosted by the Bistro. Mouthfeel, while not complex, is perfect. You love to burp after drinking this beer. Very drinkable once again, no alcohol noticeable. You just want more and more.

This beer packs ton of hop flavor into a super light, dry body. Relatively low bitterness. Lots of dank pine and cannabis type of flavors and aromas. Legit as tit.

Beerandraiderfan, Feb 27, 2010

Had this in a pint at the Brewery, loved it so much got a growler also served into pint glasses (6)

A - Slightly hazy golden with one finger white head with good lacing and good head retention.

S - Great hop profile with balance of citrus and pine and a bit of malt sweetness.

T - Smooth and balancde beginning to end, amazing hops grapefruit, orange, lemon, pine, with a sweet malt and the best dry bitter finish I've had in an IPA. Nice alcohol flavor as well.

M - Full body, medium carbonation.

O - Best IPA I have ever had. This is my favorite style. This is among my favorite beers. DRINK IT!

williamjbauer, Feb 03, 2012