Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,557
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros

BobbysLiquors, Apr 10, 2012

GlassHound, Apr 05, 2014

TimMack, Mar 02, 2012

kslsc400, Mar 17, 2012

I was lucky enough to have a friend bring me a growler of this, last month after a trip to Northern California. Immediately after opening the growler the hop punch hit me. A bouquet of hops almost overwhelm me. It poured a golden haze while the aroma continued to permeate my senses. The balanced foam head filled out what looked to be a picturebook painting of what a pint should look like. The scents still swimming around my nose: piney, gorgeous hops with a slight citrus undertone. It was a complex aroma that was truly remarkable.

My first sip completed everything. The aroma perfectedly made it’s way to the taste: it was a complex delight of many flavors, including a slight sweetness. The mouthfeel was a bit creamy, well carbonated but decidedly easy drinking for it’s 11% ABV.

This is as closed to a perfect beer as it can come, possibly the best beer I’ve ever had.

sloejams, Nov 21, 2005

InfernoBoss, Feb 18, 2013

Aberration, Jan 16, 2012

brians52, Sep 15, 2014

ReddMoneyBrown, May 17, 2013

I was one of the first 20 people in the joint SuperBowl Sunday and thought I might as well order a Younger while I'm here. I mean...everyone else was doing it.

I've had this beer now 5 years now in a row and it never disappoints. (Note - I did review the 2009 Younger but I was new to BA then and to reviewing beers. That review was all over the place so I'm going to leave it out of this review. If you want to compare it that bad search my profile)

A - Looks very similar to Elder, the pour was to the tip of the 10oz glass so no head to speak of but the lacing stuck all over the glass from top to bottom. Looks, crisp and beautiful for an DIPA this big.

S - Smells similar to PtE but a tiny bit muted in comparison in regards to not as pungently floral. BUT, the Tropical Fruit and hemp and earthiness coming out of this is fantastic. Smells very balanced. Can't wait to dive in.

T - I've heard Younger referred to as Elder on Steroids which I agree with and disagree with. How could it be on steroids if it's a smoother beer? BALANCE...wow. It's everything Elder is but a bit stronger malt profile to balance out the enormous amount of hops. The Tangerine forward Grapefruit that the Elder provides in citrus is replaced by Younger with Tropical Fruits and I want to say strawberries. There is less pine in Younger than Elder but the earthiness is still present. Similar bitter finish in the end but not quite as much as Elder. If I could give a 6 here I would.

M - Similar qualities to Elder but smoother and easier drinking??? This is a 5

D - In my 2009 review I gave this category a 4 but this year is the easiest drinking Younger I can ever remember having. I could session this beer, and pretty much did as I drank my 3 pours and my wife's 3 pours as well. I could have kept going but she was starting to get annoyed with me.

Final Thoughts - If you can improve upon Elder which near impossible to do, it's been done with Younger. Many similarities but this is more complex and masterfully crafted. There were more "stages" to this beer. I kept thinking to myself...when you get this this level of IPA (10% +) it really can't be crafted any better. Truly world class. Never had a better IPA or beer period.

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Feb 10, 2011

Dawkins, Mar 10, 2014

domjwl, Nov 21, 2011

Bellybuttonjam, Sep 29, 2014

halffull77, May 23, 2012

On tap at Russian River Brewpub on 2/17/2011, the last day before Pliny the Younger left Santa Rosa.

A: Light amber/orange color with a faint white head. Only complaint related to appearance was the 10 oz. pour.

S: Awesome and unbelievable hop aroma.

T: Hop flavors and bitterness which match the smell. Excellent malt blending, not too sweet and does not mask the hop flavors.

M: Definitely palate pleasing. Residual hop flavors present long after each sip.

D: After drinking 3 sips, I flagged down the waiter and ordered another. Good thing, because they ran out about 15 minutes later. Surprisingly easy to drink at 10.% and GOBS of IBUs, though it is probably a good thing they ran out, it might have gotten ugly.

I had several glasses of Pliny the Younger last year during SF Beer Week at Toronado and really wasn't all that impressed. I thought it was overhyped and I came away thinking that Pliny the Elder was still the top rated IPA in my book. However, based on my recent tasting of the 2011 Pliny the Younger, I can understand why it is the number one beer, not just the number one IPA, or should I say triple IPA. Anyway, I will be seeking out this beer every chance I get.

beerfan99, Mar 05, 2011