Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 5,501
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Reviews: 889 | Hads: 2,739

I want to do a standard review, but this deserves so much more. I'll start with appearance. This beer poured a burnt orange color that was lightly effervescent, but had great lacing and head retention. Smell was slightly piney, but more florally and citrusy. This is bitter. And not a harsh and spicey bitter, but a citrusy and floraly bitter. The younger gives it smell every cent it's worth. Hints of diacetyl on the malt. This is very well balanced. More on the hoppy side, but the malt gives the perfect smootheness to it that makes it so drinkable. Hops sit on the palate and fills the nose with that perfumy floral hops. I had a 17 oz pour and I've become a philosopher. Amazing beer. Never had better. (708 characters)

This is as good as it gets! A very balanced triple IPA that is very very smooth. This is the most drinkable and delicious TIPA there is for sure. I have gone up to Russian River the past two years to get this and will continue to do so! (236 characters)

I acquired a growler of the infamous Younger from vacax (thanks mate)! Served it in a Bruery tulip glass. I poured 3 glasses of RR brews and compared them. Blind Pig, Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger.

A - A beautiful orange/copper tone with minimal head but amazing lacing that lasted the whole glass. A darker orange color than that of it's uncle.

S - Chocked full of piney aroma! Compared with the Elder it was far more hop aroma, grapefruit, citrus and pine just fills your nose! Absolutely beautiful smell!

T - Grapefruit, pine and citrus; just as the scent would allude to! Bitter! But, not over the top (believe it or not). It was a well balanced bitterness, no funny facial expressions after taking a sip of this beer. Insanely flavorful and potent! Some beers you'll need a few sips to get the flavor, this one is not that! If you're offered a sip of the Younger, take it and you'll know how it tastes! No new flavors come through near the end!

M - Medium bodied, nice carbonation that creates a little dance party on your tongue. The finish sticks around too, which I really enjoy in good beers. It's a shame when they go away quickly, the Younger does not do this!

D - 2 friends came over and we had the growler gone in less than an hour! 11% so be careful! This is no harder to drink than Blind Pig or Pliny the Elder! Amazing for such a big beer!

I would say I was blessed to have been able to finally get this beer. I would love to get some every year! For anybody that's wondering if they should try to pile into a small bar to try get this on tap, I would say DO IT! (1,592 characters)

I have to say I was very skeptical about this one. I've been to the RRBC several times, and overall arn't a big fan of too many of their beers, including the elder (OK, imo). Maybe it was the waiting in line on a warm california day that makes you appreciated a cold beer more, but I have to say that for the most part the hype is true. I agree with the prev reviewer, it's 11%, and you can't taste the alcohol AT ALL. This a truely DANGEROUS BEER. The best description that I could come up with at the time was that you take the Elder and add the subtle, yet complex taste of a Belgian and this is what you get. I'm not a big IPA fan, but this one is definitely the exception (and I've tried a lot of IPA's looking for one I like, but so far this one is IT). (759 characters)

Perfect 5 you say?! Well, I'll let you guys in on a little secret. I cheated a little bit, filling out these scores. Don't tell anybody, though... the truth is, I may have had beers that looked better than Pliny the Younger. (/sarcasm)

Whew.

Now that's over with, let me start the worshipping of this beer. This beer is easily in my top 3 beers I've ever had. I've had great, huge, stinging barley wines laced with wood and whiskey, but no beer comes close to Younger in terms of a big, balanced, delicious beer. This beer may be the best-looking, most easily-drinkable beer above 6% I've ever had. Couple that with a great taste, well, 5.

I've had this on tap at Hollingshead about a half dozen times over the past few months, and it really is a finicky beer. Some kegs Kenny taps seem a bit more stale than others. The pint I had today, though, was godly.

For all the gushing that the Pliny the Elder receives, Younger should get a waterfall. It actually has a pretty different mouth profile than the Elder, but a similar hop bouquet and complexity. For those of you who haven't tried Elder, Younger, or Blind Pig, and love IPA's, try to get your hands on these. The only experience I can compare tasting these beers with was me trying and enjoying my first glass of IPA at the Stone Brewery -- that one Ruination that made me fall in love with the IPA style. Bitterness to hide the alcohol, best served cool (not warm) to enjoy on a hot day, with fruits and malts to balance it all out. I've since moved on from Ruination, but I get to have that falling-in-love experience every time I try one of these great Russian River IPAs.

To start, Younger is a truly different IPA. Most IPA's pour somewhat clear -- Younger is very opaque and almost looks like a Hef or Belgian ale. The head is creamy, but settles down fast.

Smell might not be as complex as Elder, but it has a very different, less pine-y, and more citrus-y and sweeter nose to it. A sign of things to come.

As you take your first sip of Younger, it becomes clearly evident that this is not Elder (which, to me, is the premier DIPA). No, this is something different. To a hophead, it's very creamy, sweet, and yet still bitter and hoppy. To a casual drinker, this beer probably is supremely hopped but bearably so, with a deep taste and great feel. The complexity of the hops underlies the sweet nectary feel around your mouth. It's a pretty strong beer, but it seems Vinnie almost used a hidden alcohol hotness to blend a further dimension into the hops and malts. And that creamy feel just adds even more depth. Mmm.

Next sip -- wow! This is almost the pinnacle of mouthfeel. A taste so delicious you could swish it around your mouth until it gets warm, or you could gulp down its cool soft feel.

So you take another gulp, and another, and then you go on BA because you aren't really sure why you're feeling buzzed off of 6oz. of a tasty medium-bodied beer. Oh, that's why, it's 11%.

To the negative reviews of Younger here -- I can only assume the keg was stored differently or was from another batch. I had thought Younger didn't age that well kegged, but trying it today on tap, at least 4 months after its February '08 release, changed my mind. This keg tastes as good as the first one I had, and much better than the couple I've had in between. If you like Elder, you'll love Younger. If you're a hophead, you'll love Younger. If you love beer, well, you'll probably love Younger.

Undoubtedly, the beer that everybody will compare this one to is Pliny the Elder. Younger sacrifices some pine, grapefruit, and bitterness, and replaces it with a milky, creamy, sweeter taste and feel. Highly desirable, in my opinion.

I thought IPA's couldn't get any better than Elder, but after trying both Elder and Younger, Younger wins by a mile. When I talk about loving a Triple IPA, most people look at me and make a bitter face. Younger is not overly bitter, regardless of its IBU. Pliny the Younger sits at the summit of IPA and determines what else is worthy of being its kin.

Now I've fallen into the trap of believing a beer was great just because of its ranking (coughAbysscough), but Younger completed my search for a perfect 10 (or 5) IPA. I've read reviews that praise a certain beer, lifting it above its style, and tried them, thinking, "well, this it a great stout, but i was expecting cotton candy." But for all the hype this beer gets, I think it deserves its ranking. I haven't tried the current #1-3 beers above the #4 Younger, so I can't argue Younger's place, but to see it stand out up there, away from the Belgian ales, Stouts, and Barley Wines, means something to me.

You might not like it, but I know I do. It's the only beer I've tried that doesn't taste like it holds even half the abv it really has.

IPAs I've had: Lost Abbey 2nd Ann, Stone 10th/11th/Ruination/IPA simcoe hopped, Avery Maharaja, Alesmith, DFH 60/90, Racer 5/X, among many, many more. (4,951 characters)

I've saved my first review to review the younger. I was there on feb 4 2011 waited five hours and will say well worth the wait!!!

Im going to just say apperance smell taste was all 5s

my overall of the younger is that its the best beer ever point blank! (255 characters)

Amazing.

Tasted again for the 10th time during the last release. I loved every bit of it. Wish there was more to go around.

The hugeness of the aroma and flavor is such a blast to the senses. I loved it.

Way to go Russian River, Please make more next year. (259 characters)

this was the best beer i ever had. belive the hype. full bodied, very smooth with a high abv. creamy head on top. very hard to get. waited an hour and a half and luckily was still on tap. would definitely do it again. i have tried almost all the top beers and this definitely my favorite of them all. (300 characters)

Served from a tap in San Francisco during the launch week. Pours just like any other IPA of it's style; Crisp, golden and clear. A sniff brings about a lot of similar notes as Pliny the Elder, but I get a lot less pine and more of that malty sweetness on the head, especially as the beer warms. Citrus, a subtle grapefruit and some bitters all present. The taste, like the Elder, stay true to it's smell, and the abundant hop character comes right out at the front, with a consistent, malty undertone that slowly takes the focus as it goes down, leaving a very palatable taste in your mouth. This beer hides its alcohol just as good as any I've had. It really gets lost in the sweetness from the malt, and I wouldn't have pegged it as a >10% beer if I wasn't already aware that it was. The style of hops that are used really compliment the malt well, so there isn't a flavor that dominates the taste of this beer. It's smooth and the tiniest bit more creamy than a usual IPA. This beer really has the same taste as the Elder, but with a sweeter backing to balance well with the additional hops. Not as malty as a 120-minute, but not an overloaded hop-bomb either. You can tell it has been meticulously balanced.

In the end, this beer is really just an IPA. There no special ingredient or process that goes into it's production. It hasn't been fused with anything extra or aged in special barrels for extended periods of time. It's just an IPA, and that's all it will taste like. That being said though, after sipping on it for awhile, it's hard not to appreciate how drinkable it is for a triple. If anything, the alcoholic will sneak up on you before you want to stop drinking this beer. On one hand, it's hard to give all 5's to any beer, but on the other, give Vinnie credit where credit is due for cramming such a large hop bill into as remarkably well-balanced and drinkable a beer as any. 5/5. (1,903 characters)

From Russian River brewery at 11.30 am on Monday morning. This is the earliest I've had a drink in years.

Appearance: Golden honey amber color. Younger is glowing in the glass. It's slightly. Not much a head though my wife's glass did have a thin creamy head that laced up the glass with it's sticky residue.

Smell:The aroma is a resiny dank hop opera. It is big and bold in all the right ways. This ale smells so fresh. I pick up big lemony citrus and peach.

Taste: The taste is immediately bitter but this bitterness isn't cloying at all. It's smooth, menthol-like and refreshing. The bitterness vanishes in a subtle way. The tropical fruit flavors linger on my tongue. Bright grapefruit. Slight grassy notes in the secondary. I can't taste the alcohol. Amazingly played Russian River.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is smooth,resfreshing and creamy. Full flavored but light and drinkable. This is a real bold ale.

Overall: Pliny the Younger taste terrific. The balance between a high ABV and ridiculous bitterness is managed perfectly. The price is good at $4.50 for a 10 oz. snifter and the wait wasn't even long. A must drink ale for any northern, CA hophead.

(1,166 characters)

On tap at Union Jack's in Boyertown, Pa as part of Easter Hopfest '09. Served in a tulip; 10.5 oz. serving.

A: Beautiful golden, copper color. Off-white/ ivory head that dissipates in about a minute or so. Left great lacing on the glass as the beer consumed.

S: White grapefruit up front, taken over pleasantly by the sweeter, more tropical fruit smell of pineapple as the beer warms a bit. Maybe a hint of maple syrup offered as a malt backbone, but very minimal.

T: This is the most interesting and complex beer that I have ever tasted. In addition to an exquisite flavor, I loved the fact that this beer had a "3 Phase" taste to it. The first phase consisted of a huge grapefruit punch. The second phase was the big grapefruit flavor giving way to a sweet pineapple flavor. This only lasts briefly, but is extremely pleasant and is the perfect balance for the grapefruit. The third phase consisted of more grapefruit taste, but this time a more tart grapefruit. The aftertaste lasts a minimum of 10-15 seconds post-swallow, before it heads the way of a nice and dry finish.

M: Smooth, medium bodied, with a bit of oiliness/ stickiness left on the tongue from the massive amount of hops used to make this fine brew.

D: I am forcing myself to drink this slowly, which is hard to do since it packs so much flavor. I would love to drink this every time I have a beer. IIPA's are my favorite style of beer, and PtY has everything I could ever want, and more, in a beer. (1,472 characters)

Had on tap at Toronados

A: A beautiful clear golden color with a nice foamy head that quickly drops to a few off white bubbles on top of the beer.

S: Unbelievable. Smells a lot like the other Pliny, but with a little bit of a tropical flare. Lots of piney hops, some mango, apricot and a lot of pineapple. As the beer warms, an earthy smell appears and some bitter hop resins.

T: I was expecting this to just be a bigger version of PTE, but as other have said, it doesn't taste "bigger," just better. The balance in this beer is uncanny. Citrus hops and grapefruit hit the palette first along with a sharp peppery bite and then it gets mellowed by the malts and finishes pretty crisply. It takes all of the rough edges that PTE has and polishes them into a masterpiece. One of the best beers I've ever had. (810 characters)

Drank on-tap at Stone Brewing (Just freakin' 8oz pint glass. I want BIGGER!!!).

A: A cloudy golden color. Very hazy with a head that lasts for the duration of the brew.

S: Hops and malt. Nice sweet smell that lets you know what's to come.

T: All I need to say is, WOW! The balance between the hops and the malt is exceptional. Great use of them to make this the best brew I have had yet.

M: Nice.

D: Too easy for an 11% abv brew. I could drink 10 of these if it weren't for the fact I knew about the alcohol contained here. It is masked exceptionally well.

Conclusion: I like this one better than the Elder, but not by much. These are the two best brews I have ever had! Got to try it if you haven't already! Good stuff. (730 characters)

World Class Beer. I wish there wasn't so much hype around this beer because I really hate waiting in line to drink. I'm lucky enough to live really close to some of the best craft beer bars in the San Francisco Bay Area and there's always some place that has a keg once released.

The combination of hops, malt character and finish make this a world class beer. Well done, Vinny. (380 characters)

The 2015 batch was significantly better than the 2014, in my opinion. In 2014 my friends and I enjoyed younger but wouldn't have put it as a top beer, however, in 2015 the experience was completely different. The floral smell at the start told us this was a different brew. It was smooth with an overall amazing taste. Hard to believe it was over 10%. By far, the best beer I've had. (386 characters)

Finally got a chance to try the newest number one on Beeradvocate.com.

Poured from the tap into a tasting glass.

The color is a deep dark orange, is clear with a nice finger or two head. Some nice lacing on the glass.

The smell is just hoppy from the start. The is some nice grapefruit and pineapple that comes out first to welcome the aroma into sweet and delicious hop dream.

The taste is pretty hoppy but even balanced with a mellow fruity flavor. There are just a few fruits that cam into mind as I tasted this. A nice banana flavor with some grapefruit flavor mixed with a bit of melon. A wonderful fruit experience.

The feel of this beer is pretty mellow. There is a few points that come out to pronounce themselves but there seems to be less of a kick to the Younger than the Elder and I was really happy to say I was a able to take my time with this beer and enjoy it. Worth the wait and the hype. (910 characters)

I am not into overhyped beers, but PtY really is as strong as the reviews indicate. Straight 5's fromm me.

I have had it three times over the years and most recently had it for the first time in a quite a few years. My pallate is more refined, I've seen more, I've done more. This beer still took me by surprise. I didn't even take a sip for ten minutes, I just smelled it. This beer is a style defining beer in my opinion. Forget about putting the Coke recipe in Fort Knox, lock this baby up.

Trade for it, beg for it, travel for it. Just make sure you try it before you die. (579 characters)

Body is a clear gold poured from draft to about a half-inch head. White foam dissipates pretty quickly to a cap and ring. Leaves trace lacing on the glass, which is motile and does not stick.

Aroma of light malt, floral and fruity hops--green grass and grapefruit, pine. Somewhat resiny. Hops are present across the palate, and begins with sweet malt and caramel. Mid-palate and in the finish, there is a pleasant hop burn on the tongue.

Body is medium with pleasing carbonation, producing a very creamy mouthfeel.

This is a great tasting, pleasant drinking ale. ABV at 11% is well masked by the big flavor. Excellent beer, but should be consumed responsibly. (665 characters)

Presentation: A Growler freshly plundered and expertly filled at Hollingshead Deli in Orange this past weekend.

Appearance: A massive thrupp resounded from the RRBC Growler, only the proper Growler for this one! Hey this is a little darker than I recall from earlier rounds of this one, though that was in Bars and my mind can play tricks on me. Fiercely examined at close quarters with a sober light, this has a soft lush fettered peach skeleton with a nectarine body that exhibits some faded gold wedding ring flashes. Shear white head, rises boldly, it will fight you if you want. Nice off-white lacing and fresh carbonation lend a lively “young” feel to this one. Gentle swirls reveal the true nature of this brew. A milky mélange settles out to reveal the dog’s hoppy bollocks. Hard to knock.

Nose: Mmmm, I just burnt out my Septum…..4 lines of Pliny the Younger and that’s it. Dilated nostrils and hop oils trickle down the back of my throat. Fresh cut ferociously rubbed hops straight from the vine rubbed in the palms. I’ll whiff this one for weeks…..least I hope so.

Taste: The bell tolls and I am sure I get my lights punched out way before the ringing in my ears dissipates. The hops are intense, but unlike other “hop bombs” the overt yet fine-tuned balance is shattering in its perfect balance. The malts lay under the see-saw and act like the ideal fulcrum for the alcohol and bitterness. The piney Pliny has the hoppiness, but it’s in check, and it just pumps you relentlessly. I love it.

Mouthfeel: Now you’re playing with the Big Boys. A Wolf in Fairies clothing of sorts. Hard but soft. “Oh my Grandma, what big hairy balls you have”, “All the better to fuck you senseless with my dear….”. This one will get you, even if you ain’t wearing a red hood.

Drinkability: Half the Growler has gone and it’s getting to 1pm, I better leave the rest of this one for later…..no I really should,…..I must not drink any more……work tomorrow……Growler back in fridge…..must go to Bed…..don’t clean teeth…taste and dream HOPS…..I am so fucking tempted to drain this Growler and take a day off work tomorrow!! What’s the bet that I wake up on the Sofa at 5am with an empty Growler!?

Overall: My first Review of this marvel was for a Pub based experience, far from accurate I am sure, but I just wanted to record and portray the experience rather than the technicalities. But now, sat at home with my very own Russian River Growler that started life with Deification barely 6 weeks ago, it is now staring at me like a corner-hanging panty waving crack whore touting for business. I can’t think of anything except, what is wrong with this, what could be better?! (The beer that is not the whore). Well, it could be easier to get a hold of for a start, and, erm, well that’s it. I’m sure this has just got better since I last tried it too.

Perfect!? I….think…..so…..but why do I feel reluctant when I type that? Perhaps because it means the end of a beer journey in a way maybe!? Well not quite, I’m sure that today’s 5.0 will be tomorrows 4.75 when the next marvelous Ambrosia to come out of Santa Rosa appears and realigns the envelope. Change is the only constant, but right now I’d settle for this being a constant in my life.

Utterly Remarkable, Staggeringly Brilliant and Classically Definitive!! (3,367 characters)

On tap at Stone 1/10/11

PTY arrived in a 8oz glass with a one finger layer of dense white foam atop it. The head bubbled away quickly leaving a small ring around the outside of the glass. The beer is a clear golden orange color, beautiful! The nose is huge citrus and floral notes with a good dose of pine, very nice! The taste. Is. Incredible! Orange, tangerine, and grapefruit play across my tastebuds. The malt manifests itself as a sugar cookie sweetness. The most amazing characteristic of this beer is the balance it exhibits. The ABV is completly hidden. It is the perfect blend of sweet biscuity malt and citrusy, piney bitterness. In a word, exquisite! Mouthfeel is medium with an appropriate level of carbonation. It's creamy, smooth and perfect. Drinkability is over the top. No trace of the 10+ABVis noticeable at all. This beer is the pinnacle of IPA evolution. A must try for any hophead. (903 characters)

Amazing beer. This year is better than 2012. Also incredible to taste this side by side with Pliny the Elder and seeing how much better it tastes given that Elder is a great beer as well.

Had it on tap at Russian River and at the City Beer Store in SF. (253 characters)

A - Classic IPA coloration of amberish golden

S - Another definite hop bomb

T - Taste was right on with the nose. This beer smelled like hoppy citrus and couldn't have delivered any better. Not the hoppiest beer I've ever had, but close to it, yet still maintains a balance of delicate undertones

M - Medium in carbonation and body

D - While this is crazily hopped, I could drink it just for sheer appreciation of its beauty. This is by and far the best beer I have ever tasted. I have had a lot of beers that haven't lived up to the hype, but this one did. (561 characters)

Walked into one of favorite bars and there it was. I was very happy.

A- Orange, amber with a beauty of a white 2 finger head. I was surprised I did not see hops floating in the beer.

S- Huge pine, citrus (tangerine, grapefruit, orange) and hops.

T- Hops tons, a touch sweet and balanced very well with the malt backbone, resiney. A touch of alcohol that burns slighty. Amazing tasting beer.

M- Nice medium body with perfect carbonation that coats the mouth wonderfully.

D- 11%, no problem I threw back two of these in an hour and was ready for more. It was so smooth for what this is. Very easy to drink.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers. Amazing, and glad I got to try this one. A hop lovers wet dream. (721 characters)

To me, this is the perfect beer. I've since had 7 growlers of it from Hollingshead and am finally reviewing.

A - a rich honeyish amber color with a little apricot with a creamy smallish egg white head. Many little buggles dance in my goblet.
S - solid wall of floral pine assail my nose. Very crisp and present aroma that opens up as the beer warms down a bit. Scent does punch you in the nose in a good teasing way... oh this teasing.
T - the scent segues to a delicious meadow of flowery citrus that says hops, pine and grapefruit live here. Enter if you dare, and you do. Strongly hopped but remarkably balanced per se. The malt backbone allows the hops to really shine, like salt added to cookie dough. There is a faint hint of alcohol that is hidden very well so watch out.
M&Dr - nicely carbonated and a bit viscous, ambrosia i say. This is one aggressive beer not for the faint hearted and definitely meant to be appreciated. Sip this with delight. (961 characters)

Sometimes a beer kept in such high regard can falter when actually faced with reality. This beer somehow became even better than the old stories I had heard for years befor having the chance to try it out.

The same DNA as the "Elder" but richer, velvity, and the best finish I've ever experienced with a beer ever. Aroma is also lifting, needed as the light in color beer is still huge in style and hop weight. Magic hops maybe? There is no other way to explain it. Please please please bottle this beer!!

This tasting note is from O'Briens Pub in San Diego back when this was released in Feb or March. That's how memorable it was. And with the Elder to be bottled very shortly, Pliny "Elder" will finally be available to the masses. For good or bad?! (754 characters)

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company