Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Reviews: 889 | Hads: 2,738
4.4/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled on tap at Small Bar - thanks to cuz for cluing me into this under the radar tapping. Pours a beautiful bright hazy mandarin color - much richer in color than Elder. The nose is huge citrus fruit and pine. Taste is citrus and juniper but drier than expected. Really interesting and complex. Crisp finish. (316 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Growler courtesy of urwatuh8 - many, many thanks for perhaps my #1 want. Split several ways w/ dkachur, proteus93, and one other friend (who has just begun to appreciate DIPAs - beeradvocacy at work!!).

Appearance: Pours a golden bronze body, gorgeously crisp and clear, with occasional sparse, slow, medium-sized carbonation. The head on this one is very attractive - it's a creamy snow-white, an initial finger-and-a-half high, and has above average retention. It in fact never really fades beyond a healthy thick dusting of snow and a firm, spongy collar. The lacing is similarly attractive, strewing waves and chunks of foamy, occasionally glittery lace all over the place.

Aroma: Very reminiscent of HopSlam, actually. It's incredibly citrusy and fruity - definite apricot, pineapple, strawberries, peach, white grapefruit, blood oranges all make themselves known throughout the course of the sip. It's also fantastically sweet, with notes of honey, tons of pale, saccharine sweetness. The loss of half a point is due to - upon intense, intense inspection - the emergence of a faint whiff of ethanol, light and spicy, and though not imbalanced with the other notes. This one's borderline 4.0, IMO, if only because I get almost the same thing out of HopSlam, with no alcohol there.

Taste: Massive bitterness up front and throughout, though it's a very soft, gentle, well-balanced bitterness. It melds fantastically well with the intense, large, biting citrus, grapefruit, ruby red grapefruit, tons of tropical fruits, and backed up by a big, bold, simplistically sweet malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: Wonderfully smooth and even, with a moderate, subtle carbonation, a surprisingly moderately-viscous body - i.e., I would expect it to be a lot thicker given the amount of malt that had to be pumped into this one - gentle, and subtle, pleasant, nice.

Drinkability: I actually liked the Pliny the Elder better, I do believe, though they're really, truly very different brews. The Elder seems to be a far less balanced brew, actually, with a far more herbal, minty, hop-forward nose than this brew. This one's balanced, but bigger all-around, and (in my personal opinion), the sum of its parts is just a little less overall than the Elder. That's not to say this isn't a fantastic beer - it's stellar, amazing, well-crafted. If you like balanced beer and HUGE beers, this one's for you - it's big, tasty, aromatic, well in-proportion with itself, and just all around amazing. I give many, many thanks to urwatuh8 for the growler of this fantastic brew. As an aside, the Russian River growlers are super-awesome sexy - sort of low to the ground, squat, maybe like a Russian babushka? Regardless, if I lived in Cali, I'd move into RR for this one. As it stands, I'll likely only try it once, and was very, very glad to do so. (2,828 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -6.2%

Color was a golden light orange.  Citrus bouquet. No head at all, but nicely carbonated. Nice mouthfeel.  An immediate blast of pine that yields to alternating grapefruit and floral flavors. Finishes with distinct grapefruit. No discernible alcohol warmth despite having an ABV of 10.7%.  Great beer, but not my own personal number one--certainly not the best on the planet.  (379 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had it in a wine glass type vessel at Toronado San Diego 2/18/14.

The color was a great, golden ale color. I was expecting a little darker, but you can't smell or taste color, so no worries. No head, no lacing.

I didn't get much on the nose surprisingly. some tropical notes for sure. Some hop oil.

Taste was great. The booze was minute in it. the hops didn't linger at all. very smooth and enjoyable. tropical hop extract perhaps?

mouth feel was very creamy and stuck to the side of your mouth, I liked that.

was happy I lucked into getting this beer to cross off my bucket list. Would have it again if available, but not wait for a long time in line for it. The experience drinking it with other people waiting for it was actually pretty neat, as we all had the same goal. (779 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Hollingshead Deli in Orange County, CA.
Poured a golden yellow with a white half finger head that melted slowly to top covering, very sticky lacing. Beautiful.
Lots of hops and a little brown sugar amber malt in the aroma.
Very balanced with it's sweet amber malt and fresh grapefruit peel bitter hops...nothing really fighting anything...just two very strong, impressive opposites complementing each other very well.
Great DIPA from a great West Coast Brewer.
Wish they would bottle this stuff. (510 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a hazy gold with a billowy, creamy head that clings till the end.

S - Spicy pine and intense citrus give a firm punch to the nose while the sweet smell of malt gently follows.

T - Call me crazy, but I don't think it's as aggressive as the Elder. It's super balanced and super piney. A honey-like sweetness calms the intensity of the citrusy flavors: grapefruit and pineapple are most prominent. So spicy and sweet, it's very complex.

M - it feels like the th carbonated sap of a pine tree is smoothly sliding around my mouth. Velvety an light yet still rich an thick.

O - I do hate how hyped up this beer ha become. I definitely think there are better Dipas out there, but I can't deny that this is definitely in the top 10. Extremely delicious. Dangerously refreshing. (783 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -6.6%

Served on tap at Russian River Brewing the day after the Super Bowl. I'll be honest, it was just too big for me and I LIKE big beers but there was just too much going on. It is still a fantastic beer but I found myself getting through my ordering other RR offerings after finishing my 10oz. pour. I'm glad I tried it but didn't think that it was worth elbowing my way through the crowds. (387 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -6.6%

On tap tonight at Monk's Kettle.

A: Pours clear golden color with a moderate white head.
S: Very fresh citrus, pine, and floral hop notes. Really good smell to this.
T: Again, the citrus, pine, and floral hop qualities dominate the taste, but are somewhat balanced with the malts. Still an out-of-control hop bomb, but far better than most, and probably the best California IPA I've had.
M: Mouthfeel is spot on for the style. Not too heavy, not too light, and the carbonation is perfect.
D: High ABV and out of control hops hamper drinkability, but this is very good. (570 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I might be one of the few who at least from the 2013 batch of PTE think that it wasn't as good as other beers that I have had. The beer reminded me of a apple or cider after taste. It wasn't as hoppy as I personally would like and it's very smooth. Reminds me of a cross of Apple Cider and Chardonnay and an IPA.

I have heard that 2013 was different from previous years. I prefer Pliny the Younger. Glad I got to try it at Russian River Brewing. (447 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -6.6%

Growler shared by mreusch. Thanks! Served in a Boulevard Tank 7 glass. Poured a deep gold with a thin white head. Massive piney hop aroma. Flavor is dominated by hop bitterness as you would expect, but there is a solid malt base without being sweet. Very drinkable for the abv, alcohol was not very evident. Lots of hops without being too green in the flavor. Nice mouthfeel, medium to full bodied. Believe the hype. (416 characters)

4.36/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

(combination of samplings consecutive days at City Tap House and Monk's Cafe, respectively)

I'll just start off by stating that this is one of, if not, the most well-balanced, elegantly-crafted hoppy ale(s) I've come across. A true example of brewing art. That said, the taste is quite fine but perhaps a bit underwhelming for more seasoned hop heads.

The liquid is a fiery orange hue with a jewel-like glow, faint haze, and nearly pure white, sticky-cottony foam that stands for a bit before being overcome by lip oils and/or the alcohol level. Looks nice, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The smell is somewhat, somehow restrained, but has one of the most well-defined, 3D aromatic representations of a handful of newly-dried hop cones in the palm of one's hand - dirty/earthy with a ghostly, subtle, spirit-lifting, mildly-mineral, tonic alcohol delivering it to the sinuses... mild orange-citrus undertones... once again, nice, but requiring a few healthy, deep inhales to take it in.

The flavor is ridiculously refined - it is easily seen that this is PtE, attenuated, flattened-out. Tastes about the same, just the depth and definition found in PtE is lacking in this. One would guess, however, that the alcohol would jump out a bit more in PtY and, yet, it doesn't at all. It's amazing how well-hidden it is, though a sense of quiet warmth rises by the last couple sips. Perception of bitterness is minimal, if at all a factor. Extremely well-balanced, but nearly brut-champagne-like in its dryness - the hops (flavor) and malt are too quiet.

Where this beer really captured my attention and imagination was in its absolutely feather-light body. It's as if the carbonation was the only thing that indicated to my senses that I had beer in my mouth. I wouldn't be surprised if this beer finishes at down close to 1.002-1.004. While I attempted to savor it at CTH, at Monk's (owing partly to the excellent special draft list) I powered through it in 3-4 sips. Sooo easy to drink. Dangerous. (2,001 characters)

4.36/5  rDev -6.8%

On tap for Churchill's Renaissance at Churchill's Pub & Grille in San Marcos, CA.

Pours a clear golden color with an off-white head that fades to nothing. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of pine and citrus zest hops, honey, and alcohol. Taste is of citrus zest, citrus fruit, slight pine, and a honey sweetness. There is a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a light level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good DIPA that is quite tasty but it doesn’t quite live up to the hype in my opinion. (584 characters)

Russian River- Pliny the Younger

A- Bright clear copper orange with a huge fluffy white head. Good messy lacing down the goblet.
S- Strong pungent pine hops with a big dose of alc. and sour grapefruit.
T- Thick malt, slight burnt brown sugar. Huge pine hops, oily fresh pine hops. Alcohol and bitter grapefruit rind.
M- Thick malt up front with quite a bitter oily pine tar hop body. Alc. and bitter dry hops finish this off.

Overall- Gulped my beer down in under a minute! Alc. is potent in this 1. Very drinkable. (517 characters)

On tap at Pizza Port San Clemente

A: translucent gold with thin white head and decent lacing

N: tons of citrus, primarily orange with some grapefruit, noticeable fresh pine in the background, fair amount of alcohol

T: big hit of hops right away, loads of citrus, passing note of mint, loads of hop bite (literally coating the cheeks with a warm bitterness), finishes with a faint fresh herb note, very dry, ABV very noticeable

M: extremely dense feel straight away, very round, mellow body, very fresh and clean

D: incredible, only planned on one but had to get a second, (576 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

Was very pleased to find this at a favorite little place of ours, Pleasantons Main Street Brewery. Nice crysal clear light amber color was topped by a nice white head that retained well and left nice patterns of lace. Aroma, hops hops and more hops. Very piney and inviting. Taste, very hoppy with emphasis on the pine, fantastic freash taste and very smooth despite the high bittering. Not thick and viscous like some other beers of theis type can be. How can I give a average drinkability score to a beer that tastes exceptional? Well I don't think beers in the 11% realm are the kind you sit around and knock back. This is a great beer but I don't look to get ripped on one brew. (682 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance:
Vibrant chrysanthemum yellow. Crystal clear. Medium white fine head that dissipated quickly.

Aroma:
It was served cold. First aroma was sweet - not malty sweet, cleanly floral sweet - with crisp herbal notes. A 12 oz pour allowed time to warm slightly, aroma and flavor opened up. Hints of desert sage and green peppercorn, clean tangerine sorbet like aroma in the backbone, and a echo of juniper.

Taste:
Malt is very clean and crisp, the residual sweetness is more like blonde candi syrup than malts. Hardly any yeast esters, no fruitiness unlike typical ale yeast. The bittering is low, but the hop presence is huge - clean, bright, peppery, and crisply herbal. Alcohol presence is remarkably clean, more like a good gin than the boozy or hot character in most big DIPAs.

Mouthfeel:
Medium body, slightly dry. Finish is very long, hoppy, and carries the crispness of hop oils.

Overall Impression:
I see many pours of PTY are about 5 ounces - and I don't think that's enough to get the full impression. At first I was a little underwhelmed. But after about 4 sips and 1/3 through the glass it really picked up. When it warmed just slightly and opened up it really started to shine. As it warmed and opened it remained clean, crisp, and invigorating across the board. The alcohol was not boozy or hot, but clean almost like a white spirit. The malt was clean and very slightly sweet, balancing the hugely floral and herbal hops very well. Altogether, fantastic.

A 4 hour wait in line for one pour is a bit of a buzzkill, yet I'm glad I did it. However, I don't think I'll do it again. It's worth doing at least once. (1,638 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured a bright golden color with a medium sized, creamy, white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of piney hops, citrus fruits, tons of resin, caramel malts, and light alcohol. Strong pine in the taste, more citrus fruits, bitter grapefruits, with some sweet malts, and alcohol in the finish. Much more enjoyable than DFH 120. (339 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

appearance: that's a fine looking glass of beer, that can't be denied. Pours a nice pale, slightly amber color. That is some haziness to it, the hoppier the beer the more hazy. poured in to a pair of pint glasses to share with my dad. that head stayed along time.

smell: volumes and volumes and volumes of hop aroma. However, it doesn't really smell all that different than the standard Russian River IPA or Pliny the Elder for that matter.

taste: well, i ate a small dinner and i can feel a buzz with one sip. You can taste the hop fiber, alcohol, more hop flavor. There is alot of bitterness, more than the elder by far. The bitterness drowns out more of the flavor, however, there is still quite a bit of hop flavor in this sucker. If there was something like hop jucie this is. This tastes as close to "beer" as lambic does, if you get my drift. over the course of a pint i warmed to this beer more and more and it's not as bitter as some other beers i've had, again more hoppy than bitter.

mouthfeel: you can actually feel the coursness of hops in the mouthfeel. While that is probably an illision, to say that this beer is syurpy, would be an understatment.

drinkabiliy: it's a sipper, but i'd imagine most triple ipa's would be.

My quest for the hoppest beer in the world ends here.(come to think of it i wasn't really on a quest, but i degress) However, this isn't really a beer I'd like to have that often really. Pliny the Elder is far more drinkable, and is just an all around more balanced great beer. I know this beer is a hop showcase, but I think just a hair more "oumpf" in the malt deparment would improve it. Still what can I say, if you see it you'll no doubt grab a growler, although a growler is sure alot of this beer, i would recomind enjoying this beer very, very slowly (1,812 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -7.3%

On tap at Apex in Portland. Poured into 6 oz glass.

A- Pours a clear golden color with a thin white head. Head dissipates quickly. Minimal amounts of lacing.

S- Glorious amounts of citrus, grapefruit, apricot, pine and floral hops. This beer really brings the hops for sure. I don't detect any malt presence.

T- Apricot, citrus and slight pine flavors become immediately recognizable. It's followed by some resinous and hop oils. Not much going on as far as malts go. So it's basically hops followed by more hops. This one is bitter from start to finish.

M- Medium-full body with a good amount of carbonation. Very dry finish. The alcohol does leave a warming feel on the palate. An odd syrupy feel to it that I'm not used to in an IPA/DIPA. Very drinkable for 11% abv.

O- Pretty damn good beer. While I do think this beer is hyped up too much, it's still well worth seeking out if you can. As a side note, I'm probably in the minority here but I think I enjoy Elder better than Younger. Elder has a little more balance to it. Regardless, get yourself some Younger if you have never had the opportunity to try it. (1,120 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -7.3%

On tap at Falling Rock.

App- Straw colored with a slight bit of white head. Dissipates fairly quickly. White lacing left behind.

Sm- Fruity, resinous, pine. Pineapple. Some malt sweetness lurking back there. Amazing.

Ta- Resinous hops, some hop bitterness but the malty sweetness really shines though. Great balance. Very minimal heat.

Dr- Amazing considering the copious amount of ingredients that go into this beer. Everything is well balanced and alcohol is hidden exceptionally well.

Overall- I would choose this over elder. however, its not so much of a difference that i would go to the ends of the earth to get it. Excellent beer though. (650 characters)

2/15/11 on-tab at San Diego Brewing Co

Spent about two weeks watching Facebook to actually get a taste of this beer. Luckily I found it at the SD Brewing, a fantastic establishment with good beer of their own.

A: Pours a deep orange with a small amount of head that dissipates quickly. Clear and crisp, little to no lacing.

S: Nothing beats the smell of this beer. Simicoe hops, pine, citrus that you can smell from several feet away. You have to get it right off the tap or the smell will diminish in a hurry. As the beer warms up you start to get a bit more of the scent when drinking. Edit: I stand corrected. The nose on this beer is somewhat muted compared to other DIPA and TIPA's on the market. It's still great, but the smell isn't as strong as it should be. Lowering this from 5 to 4. I have had this at four different tastings now, and my opinion only of the smell has lowered. Everything else is is accurate. Still extremely smooth and wonderful.

T: Sweet and malty with upfront bitterness and an alcoholic finish. Complex flavor without being too overpowering. That being said, I didn't give the taste a '5' because the alcohol is still there and so is some astringency that I wasn't expecting.

M: Mouthfeel is fantastic. Bar none. Creamy and sweet without feeling like you're eating a malt sandwich. Goes down smooth.

D: It's actually quite hard to session this beer. Besides being quickly intoxicated, the strong bitterness lingers on the back of the pallet for a long time. A great beer that I wouldn't want to have more than 2 of. (1,552 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Had a few glasses with my homey Joe. Poured from a super cool flip-top growler, it has a bright, yellow gold color with good clarity. The head is white with good retention and lacing. Carbonation held up good in the growler shipped across the country.

The aroma is nice, but not as strong as I expected. It had some citrus and general fruitiness, a bit of wood, and a lot of pine. A touch of alcohol is detected, but it is very low considering the strength of the beer. A touch of peach as it warms. Some very slight tropical notes come through to add a touch more complexity. The one thing I wanted from this beer was to be blown away by the aroma, but I've had better smelling hoppy beers before. It's a great smelling beer, but not one I'll be dreaming about.

The taste of this beer is great. It's sweet and filled with flavors of fruit gummies and bitter pine needles from the hops. Younger is very bitter, but not as much as the drier Elder. The finish has thick, malty sweetness as well as a very solid and pleasant bitterness.

Me and Joe both agreed that the mouthfeel is the highlight of this beer. Perfect as far as the style goes. It's thick and gooey, but with a clean and dry finish. It made me think of a hop flavored gummy bear. I would give it a 6, but I can't, so it gets a 5. The half growler gave me a good buzz, and was enjoyable to drink till the end.

I didn't like the beer as much as I thought I would, but that's only because the expectations were so high. A lot of people rave and rate highly of this beer for great reason. It needed a bit stronger of a hop aroma for me, but maybe the condition of a shipped growler affected that. I'd love to have it again someday. (1,694 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

On tap at Falling Rock on 2/22 (and again at Backcountry on 2/23)

While I don't think any beer is worth waiting 5 hours for, this was on my "must try" list, and I wasn't too hungover to wake up at 6AM. Headed to the taphouse at 7:30am, in line at 7:45, and surprisingly, was not first. Nice little gathering, people drinking coffee, playing board games, and enjoying each others company waiting for the doors to open.

A - pours a lovely hue, somewhere between golden and amber. Other beers of similar stature have a better pour (i.e. Hopslam), but the color is not why I was there.

S - Holy Moly. If someone finds a way to harness the scent of this thing, please let me know. I would pay handsomely for it. Literally spent the first 2 or 3 minutes just smelling it. Everything you would expect from something in the IPA family (layer upon layer of hops, grapefruit), but jesus, was this a step in the right direction.

T - everything I was hoping for. So much going on in this pour, every sip makes your brain spin trying to wrap your head around the complexity. Piney, earthy, boozy. The one downside, the booze. I did not feel that the ABV was very well hidden. Still delicious, and I had 3 of them, but it was a TINY bit overpowering.

M - beautiful

O - Look. If you can get some friends together, and the weather is nice, go ahead. Its worth it for the experience and frankly, the beer also. Is it really #2? Eh, probably not. I am glad I went, and would absolutely drink it again if it were available, but I probably will not be attending another release day. (1,569 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Cheers to Mikeoxlong for trading this growler, I have been wanting to try this beer for about 2 years now! Als shared among friends as it will be ahrd to finish a whole growler!

After traveling across the country, the growler opened up with a nice hiss - no carbonation lost during transit. Poured into a snifter glass, and with an aggressive pour, only an 1/2 inch head appears and leaves little lacing. Instead, swirling the glass reveals the legs of this beer, an indication of alcohol content. The brew looks great - a wonderful amber/golden color and absolutely clear.

Smell: An interesting mix of resiny hops, toasted malts, and wafts of spicy alcohol. Breathing in more I find more complex nose, minor citrus, tropical fruit, pine, spruce, and sap. The nose is does not knock me off my feet but it is complex with many different hop profiles added into the aroma. The alcohol, which not terribly noticeable, detracts from the nose only slightly and lends a very spicy character to the brew.

Taste: Holy hops! Bitterness grabs the tongue and refuses to let go! Hops are a strong and harsh when the beer is cold but tends to be smoother when the beer warms up. The bitterness lends a resinous, piney flavor to the brew. Quickly after the hops however, the malts come through very clean and fresh with caramel, breadiness, and toffee. Very well balanced for 11% ABV but the alcohol is present and leaves a prickly feeling on the sides of the tongue. Complexity for a DIPA as through the roof on this one. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and finishes rather dry, very typical of west coast DIPAs.

Overall: Pliny the Elder on steroids. Satisfies every hop heads wet dream with a doubt. My only marks on flaws would be the nose which is not as strong as other DIPAs. Gruit 16 ale comes to mind, PTY doesn't go past 16 in the nose. For 11% ABV, which is really hard to make in a DIPA, the beer is dangerously drinkable and well balanced. This beer would be perfect with 0 ABV heat more hop aroma, but is great as it stands (2,021 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Sampled at a local tasting in St. Louis, big thanks to hooliganlife for bring 2 growlers.

A - Pretty typical of an IPA/DIPA, yellow-orange in color with a tightly dense white head that faded after a minute or so, a peek through the glass showed little hop chunks, awesome.

S - Huge grapefruit and citrus, but pretty one note. Best described as mild grapefruit juice.

T - Great DIPA, lots of citrus like the nose, good amount of malt, maybe some honey like flavors, little bit of pine and black pepper. What stands out to me the most about the beer is the bitterness, alot of DIPA are too syrupy and can't hold back all that sugary sweetness, this one stikes a good balance.

M - Mild mouthfeel, not too watery but has enough body to hold up to the taste.

D - Great great drinkability, hides the 11% perfectly although I was good at one glass.

I gotta say, I'm glad to have tried it. I was really hoping for a life changing event, but alas it was just a really good DIPA and nothing more, I'd be happy to try it again, but at least I know not to get all worked up over future releases. (1,089 characters)

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company