Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Reviews: 891 | Hads: 2,764
4.45/5  rDev -5.1%

Went to the tapping at the South Philly Taproom in Philadelphia. Full blown blizzard, everyone was out of work for the day. The line wasn't too bad, only about 30 people at 930ish for a 10am tapping (the line grew a ton in the last 10 minutes however). Pours were $10, first come first serve, keg was kicked in 19 minutes. Color was a beautiful orange-y gold, head was thin. Served (unfortunately) in a skinny taster glass so I couldn't get much in the way of the nose (or maybe it was because I waited outside forever in the freezing cold). Taste was a little dank, but with some citrus. Sticky but had a fresh bouquet of hops on the back end that balanced everything out. Was tasty and I can see what the hype is about, but I don't think I'd be willing to stand in line for more than an hr to get a pour. Definitely a bucket list/BA Top 250 experience though for anyone who hasn't tried it yet. (897 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Pliny the Younger on tap at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia, fifteen dollars for 6.5oz, cash only for Alex's Lemonade charity. for charity, 10.5% ABV

App: ½ finger head, some floaties, soapy bubbles. Low retention. Orange-tropical color.

Smell: Intoxicating! Citrus, tropical aromas, pineapple juice, dank and sticky. Pomelo bitterness and lovely tartness. Fresh-squeezed OJ.

Taste: More of that pepperiness, super spicy, pineapple cake, piney. Don Limpio. Orange rind. Aggressive hops, lip-smacking. Oily, resin, like licking sap.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and low carbonation, could use more bubbles. Dry, sticky finish, need water! Spicy, peppery all around- not too pleasant.

Overall: Very drinkable! Like water, poundable. World-class? Not so, but delicious. Worth trying once or twice, but I wouldn’t go crazy or stand on line for it. There are many wonderful Triple IPA’s out there these days… (Knee Deep is making some killer ones!). (949 characters)

4.54/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

If not for the lines around this beer I would like it even more. There are some amazing IPAs out there without a 3 hour hype train. Maybe I wish I could just get more though. (176 characters)

Had a much more unique depth of flavor than Elder did. Much fresher too, cuz obviously, it is consumed within days of release. Aroma was particularly alluring. I wouldn't wait 8 hours like some people do for it, but there's really nothing that compares in terms if IPA. I recommend you get to whatever venue it's hosting earlier than two hours before tapping, or wait in line with the other hundreds. (400 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on opening day Feb 6, 2015 after waiting in line for 4.5 hrs in the pouring rain. It is a spectacular beer to have straight from the source. Although a very high abv it does not taste alcohol forward and is truly balanced with a good amount of hops on your tongue, a bit of grapefruit follow through and a floral scent. Had a great time drying off and warming up and 3 10oz pours along with some Elder and Blind Pig hit the spot. It is a special beer worth the effort. (477 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this on opening day Feb 6, 2015. Waited from 5:00 AM around 70th in line. Had 3 10oz pours. This beer definitely lived up to the hype. I've had plenty of triple IPAs and this was hands down the best. And much better than similar ABV double IPAs. The balance of malty backbone with bitter hops was perfection. 0 alcohol whatsoever. Each sip made you desperate for more. Definitely going back. (395 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +5.3%

Had this in 2013. Waited in line for almost four hours and it was well worth the wait. The taste was as good or better than any beer I'd had up to then. Since then I've had beers I like more but it is certainly world class. (226 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Big hop aromatics are the star of the show for sure. Just a touch too sweet and syrupy for my taste. Especailly considering what it takes to get a scant 4oz pour of this beast I'll take the Elder any day of the week. (216 characters)

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer manages to do the "look" well - pale straw, makes you anticipate a pils if you just saw the glass but had nose plugs in. Take those nose plugs out though - big floral and citrus aromas, some pine. Once you take a swig, the taste transforms into a berry/pine marijuana flavor on the tongue. Mouth is smooth, and dry. Overall, this hop combination has likely been perfected, and better beers only occur because they approach with different combos. (457 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +5.8%

Very good, very strong. Don't drink before your wait in line, otherwize you will be the silly person. If you are that person, it's ok. My friend James thought he was drugged, there is a limit for a reason. Also, Younger is a masterpiece of the modern style. Check out the current champ on a weeknight and you'll only have to wait a half hour or so. (353 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

A great beer. Great floral and citrus scents. Dry finish with overall low boosiness. Great marketting makes this beer highly sought after. I have tried it three times 2015 being the best. (187 characters)

The 2015 batch was significantly better than the 2014, in my opinion. In 2014 my friends and I enjoyed younger but wouldn't have put it as a top beer, however, in 2015 the experience was completely different. The floral smell at the start told us this was a different brew. It was smooth with an overall amazing taste. Hard to believe it was over 10%. By far, the best beer I've had. (386 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

8oz pour @ Pizza Port Carlsbad during the Younger tapping

A - Pours a dark amber color. No head on the glass we got since they were pouring and walking them out to us. It had dissipated by the time we got it. Looks very similar to Elder.

S - Sweet hops. Tropical fruits, pine. The 11% is no where to be found.

T - I must say this is the smoothest triple I have ever had. Again, sweet hops up front, lots of pineapple, underneath the sweetness is a piney, resinous, dank note. People say its like Elder cranked up, and I can see that. As it warmed, much more bitterness came out, as well as some candied orange.

O - Did this live up to the hype? Yes. Its delicious. Best triple I have had. Would I wait hours on hours for a small pour of this? Probably not. (775 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Late review - tasted at Toronado in 2013. Blown away by mellowness of this high abv double (triple?) IPA. Hops are big but not overwhelming. Lives up to the hype. (162 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +5.3%

10oz pour at Britannia Arms Almaden in late February. Served in a lowball glass.

A: Medium to dark orange in color. 1/2 a finger of head that dissipated quickly. Clear, not cloudy in the least. Great looking beer, very similar in appearance to Elder.
S: Malty sweetness right upfront with pine and tropical fruit. Passion fruit, orange, tangerine come through as well. No alcohol to be found in the aroma, the 11% doesn't come through even a little bit. Catty aromas from the simcoe are definitely present.
T: Sweet pineapple upfront, pine, and malts. Tropical flavors in the middle mouth and finish. Little bit of bitterness but not very much.
M: Big mouthfeel, this is the only place where the size of the beer really comes through. Medium carbonation and a clean finish.
O: This one lives up to the hype. An incredibly well crafted triple. Easy drinking, smooth and delicious. (881 characters)

For not being an IPA fan, this Triple IPA is something that I wish you could purchase in a bottle. Tap availability only makes it taste that much better, sucks for those who do not get Russian River. (199 characters)

Ok, had to find out what the hype was all about. Waited 90 minutes and was told I was a genius for going on a Tuesday. The nice thing is, Russian River only allows in as many as can be seated (none of the usual madhouse, quite civilized) and they charge the normal pricing for it (and are proud of it! Truly a labor of love!). Background: I'm not a hoppy guy. Doppelbocks, stouts, porters, ciders are where I live. This beer changed all that. Smooth, amazingly smooth with a hoppy finish at the back / center of the tongue. Not overpowering at all in taste but packs a punch at 10%. Very much worth the wait. Best beer I've ever had? Yes. Easily the best IPA. Got to enjoy seven (10 oz) glasses this year and I'll be back for more next year. (757 characters)

Simply the greatest beer known to man. If you can get a chance to enjoy Younger, you need to jump on that chance right away!

Uh Not sure what @GregSpeaksHisMind is smoking but I'll have what he's having. Protip: If you have to claim your taste is "impeccable", it isn't. (271 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

FINALLY tracked this one down! 7oz pour into a tulip glass. Floral and light citrus nose. Resinous and a bit piney with some heat from the booze, but amazingly well balanced for a big 11% triple IPA. I understand the hype... this beer was very solid! (254 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -9%

A beer I thought I'd never get to try. 64 oz. growler poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear orange body with a small white head. A few wisps on the surface and a thin collar.

Smell - Orange. Some pine hops. Lots of caramel malt, but doesn't smell all that sugary.

Taste - Tastes like an amped up Pliny. Orange hops up front. Sweet pale malts. A touch of booze. Pine hops build in the back end with a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Not a sugar bomb, which I was afraid of. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Glad I got to try it. It's very good. I'd take a lot of things over it, especially if it avoids a trip to CA to get a taste. (663 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%

Wait was 2 1/2 hours, weather was perfect (as usual) and we got seated right away on the patio. I got an Elder to taste side by side, and was surprised to find Elder to be a better beer in every way. And Elder isn't even the best IPA on tap every day! Still, I had a great time and probably will too. Just don't expect to have your mind blown, Younger is good but this is an over-hyped release that owes its weeks of long lines to those who suffer from FOMO.

Row 2 however, is the bomb. (491 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%

Wine glass on tap, pre purchased to avoid crowds.

Surprisingly disappointing nose but hard for the beer not to be disappointing given all the hype. Nice, little fruity, not too overpowering.

Mouth feel standard, little less bubbles than average.

Light pretty pour with a small head

Taste was clean - reminded me a bit of heady topper. Couldn't really taste the alcohol - definitely a nice bitter clean ending which somehow reminded me of a stainless steal finished white wine. (483 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

3/2015 on tap at the Pour House. Fantastic DIPA, but now that I've had it, I wouldn't fight crowds and drive hours to try it again..... But, I certainly wish it was easier to obtain.... (187 characters)

4.49/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Happy to finally try this whale. It was damn good, but not one I need to seek out. Perfect balance of super hoppy and nice malt backbone. Great aroma.

Edit - had a second glass which was so much better than the first. Now I understand the hype. (247 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +4.3%

Like the elder on steroids. Tasted smoother and not as malty when I had them side by side. Just imagine a more potent or concentrated elder and you get the younger. An amazing beer! (181 characters)

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company