Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,071
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
jose34

BeerSociety

01-17-2012 10:25:12 | More by BeerSociety
Bbates

2.61/5  rDev -44.3%

Ok guys.... This beer is pure marketing hype. I hate to be a buzzkill here, but anyone can create a beer that is so over-hopped that it kills the taste of a mediocre brew. When did overly-hopping a beer become the gold standard? This started in California and has unfortunately spread to other states. Hops do nothing but mask the true flavor of a brew, and have classically been used to cover up mistakes. In the case of Younger, a hop EXTRACT is used, ala Anheuser-Busch. Look, I LOVE beer- all styles but just as hops can set a brew off they can ruin it very quickly. It seems Belgian an German brewers, with centuries old tradition, have a firm grip on the concept of the judicious use of hops to complement a beer without overpowering it. The only explanation I can come up with is the fact that lupulin, a compound found in hops, works on the same receptors in the brain that THC does. At one point I had great hopes for the direction of brewing in the states, but am dismayed at the current school of thought that hops equals great. I know I may be ruffling a few feathers here but let's keep it real. This brew is pure viral marketing and nothing more. The best thing about Pliny the Younger is the sense of camaraderie it creates among those waiting 3+ hours in the rain for it. This is what people really love about it. That and the feeling of exclusivity they get from the unreasonably difficult process of obtaining it.

02-21-2014 22:26:15 | More by Bbates
mentor

2.88/5  rDev -38.6%

Thanks to Redwoodgeorge for the opportunity...I was part of the unauthorized bottling project he undertook. Pours a one finger white head over a nearly clear orange amber liquid. Smells clean grapefruit pith. Sugar sweet and cherry. Underlying caramel accompanied by buried apricot esters.

Tastes buttery (blech). Caramel. Acidic. Mostly piney hops with some softer citrus. Cotton candy. Brutally woody dry with a taste of fresh 'morning cobwebs' in the forest. Fruity esters are lost under the hops.

Md thick mouthfeel and moderately carbonated. I swear I could feel the hop oils on my tongue. What I didn't like was a prominent and unpleasant diacetyl (buttery) that I found completely distracting. Ruined the beer for me, and it's reflected in the 'taste' portion of my rating. I found this same flavor in the samples I had at GABF last year (2005). In front of the brewer (knee-jerk reaction), I actually spit the beer out and said 'pediococcus!'.

05-14-2006 07:49:14 | More by mentor

3.25/5  rDev -30.7%

03-05-2014 01:37:59 | More by hiphopj5
CharcuterIAN

3.33/5  rDev -29%

Served 8oz pour, red wine glass @ The East-side club, OLY, WA.
Nice orange/gold color, no head/lacing. smells of mandarin orange, rose, malts up front, medium hop.
Taste much the same as smell, hoppy, malty sweetness, light alcohol tinge. sticky mouth feel...
SOOO much hype about this beer...but is it all manufactured obscurity? Frankly, this beer (for me ) was BORING! I'd much rather spend 5.50 for a full pint of the elder rather then 7.50 for a half pint of this. Don't get me wrong, it's "good" beer...but, it didn't knock my socks off.
Not the best beer in the world.
Looking forward to trying Sanctification.

04-19-2011 07:53:44 | More by CharcuterIAN
rustycentipede

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -29%

Had this on tap at Apex in Portland. Was surprised to find it a very average imperial IPA.

A - Poured a very pale clear gold with no head and lots of bubbles.

S - Citrus and pine

T - I did not find this beer to be nearly as hoppy as I was hoping it would be. It was a pleasant taste, definitely nothing to complain about, but nothing stood out as special about this beer. A standard piney bitterness but very little residual hop flavor.

M - Very nice, almost champagne-like mouthfeel.

O - I am glad to that I got to try it, but I would not make any effort to have it again. It is by no means a bad beer, but I don't think I would have thought twice about it if I had not heard so much about it prior to drinking this. It's true that this beer "doesn't taste like it is 11%", but in my book that is not necessarily good. I found it to be lacking in both malt and hops flavor.

02-12-2012 07:13:46 | More by rustycentipede
Dubbercody

3.35/5  rDev -28.6%

Got a glass with lunch today....12 oz glass.

Clear amber golden with a fantastic nose, smooth and with a nice malty edge.

Certainly nice to try, but I doubt I'll drop the amount of coin it cost to get this beer.

Good, nice tasty beer, really phenomenal ...but like Girl Scout Cookies...if they were available all the time wouldn't be such a big deal or so costly.

02-21-2009 06:46:31 | More by Dubbercody
DT509er

3.38/5  rDev -27.9%

I'm a IPA guy, but my taste buds are over-loaded from the alcohol on the triple IPA's.

PTY was a rather surprising taste for me, I found it to have a subtle alcohol effect with a sweet taste overall. Texture was creamy, reminded me of a Cream Ale soda (texture only). No real head to each pour, its beer in the glass top-to-bottom.

This is a good beer but if I had to stand in line as others have done, and continue to do, this is not the beer I would wait for.

Prost!

02-16-2014 20:21:50 | More by DT509er
PDXHops

South Carolina

3.43/5  rDev -26.9%

Thanks to a hot tip, I got to enjoy a couple of the first glasses poured at the Horse Brass Pub. Served in a small nonic glass.

Pours bright and light golden orange with an almost pure white head. The head is ~3/4 of a finger, and with some gentle swirling lingers pretty well considering the ABV. A little bit of lacing is teased, but drips back in.

Loads of pine and grapefruit aromas, plenty of sweeter tangerine, peach(?) and floral notes, with quite a bit of alcohol weaving through it all. I can only imagine how great this would smell in a big snifter. Served in a nonic glass is no way to show it off, though. Really had to dig in there to enjoy the bouquet, literally getting my nose wet a couple of times.

There's not much of the sweet fruitiness I was excpecting based on the smell, but there's a ton of pine and grapefruit. The balancing sweetness tastes not of caramel or even light malt, but rather like simple syrup. Odd- it doesn't complement the bitterness very well. As it warms, the alcohol becomes increasingly pronounced and distracting. Pronounced alcohol burn as it warms up. Booziness aside, it's not as big and aggressive as I expected (I definitely prefer the Elder).

Mouthfeel is decent. There's a slick/oily quality that, in combo with gentle carbonation, smooths out the substantial ABV. However, it doesn't disguise a distracting sugary stickiness left on the palate in the finish (sticky hops= good, sticky sugar= bad). Not nearly as raw and angry as expected from a beer with this much hops.

Drinkability is OK, but not great for me based on the sugary stickiness, weird sweetness(tasted at times like straight simple syrup instead of light malt) and, to a lesser degree, the alcohol burn.

Overall impression: Glad I got a chance to give it a try without promising my firstborn for a growler trade. Intense and pretty enjoyable, but doesn't live up to mystique (and isn't even the best DIPA from Russian River).

02-17-2009 05:03:21 | More by PDXHops