Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 5,714
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Reviews: 894 | Hads: 2,762
4.15/5  rDev -11.1%

One of my bf's favorites, i heard so much about this beer and heard also that it was not sold much and that it would not be in stock much longer, so of course i had to have some. I'm not usually into this heavy of a beer, but boy was i shocked to taste it and want more. Yummm! Boys sure do have a set of extra taste buds just for beer! I'm glad my bf is such an advocate otherwise i'd be missing out on a lot!

4.15/5  rDev -11.1%

Was able to do a nice vertical of the Blind Pig, Pliny the Elder, and Pliny the Younger.

A: Nice garnet hue with no head. Swirling it around in my glass - it looks rather thick.

S: Smells sweet and syrupy, reminds me of stone fruit.

T: Nice sweet aftertaste of cherries. Overall it was very sour - you can taste the hops. Unfortunately the bar where I had this has sat on the keg for a few weeks before taping it. When I had this about a month ago in Portland it was really splendid - a nice and fresh taste of hops hops hops! The color was a bit lighter and the aroma very citrusy and fruity. Although it wasn't as fantastic this last time it still was an exceptional IPA.

M: Nicely carbonated. A good balance.

D: Not too bad to drink but the 11% abv was a bit much for me - can't drink too much! But in small quantities for those of us with lighter-alcohol tolerances it was quite grand! Personally I don't adore lots of hops but that is just me. I don't think this is the best beer ever and rather liked PTE better...now don't shoot me for it! But I can see why others think it is a gift from the beer gods. Great beer though!

4.16/5  rDev -10.9%

Had twice on tap in Philly. Really glad I got to try it twice. Went into it not buying the hype, and while it exceeded my expectations, it's nowhere close to the best beer in the world. Review is based mainly on the 8 oz. tulip of Younger I scored at Resurrection Ale House. Kudos to Brendan and Leigh for doing it right!

A - pale orange, with a bit of white head, which quickly receded to a mere ring, although lacing was somewhat impressive given the lack of retention. Carbonation was what you would expect from a beer this big.

S - this is where Younger really shines. Slight bit of bitter hops gives way to a wonderful citrus hop aroma, accentuated by a nectary, honey note in the background. Strong and balanced, the insane amount of dry hopping has a definite payoff in the aroma. Well done.

T - flavor follows the nose. Massive citrus notes blend well with the honey and malt backbone. There isn't much bad to say about the flavor, but it didn't wow me the way you'd expect from all the hype. The overall lack of cloying bitterness was a welcome surprise considering this is a west coast IPA, but since I'm used to a maltier, more balanced IPA experience here on the east coast, this isn't anything new to me. Good for sure, but not a revelation by any means.

M - a bit thin, as is typical for a big IPA, though it did leave a lasting film on the tongue which gave it a pleasant aftertaste, for a while. It became less pleasant as it lingered.

O - A very good beer, but not quite world class. Not up to the hype by any means, but worth seeking out if you can score a pour without elbowing your way through a crowd.

4.17/5  rDev -10.7%

I had this on-tap at The Drafting Room. My glass was filled with a golden copper color liquid with a thin white head. Some lacing was left but not like the amount left by the Elder. The aroma was filled with pine and citrus from the hops and a sweet caramel / tofffee scent. The flavor followed the smell. Hops were there but so was the sweetness. Somewhere in between a 90 min. and a 120 min. with the sweetness. Very smooth and not as bitter IMO as the Elder. The abv in this one (11%) limited me to only two glasses but they were tasty. Great brew, but I think the Elder comes out on top.

4.17/5  rDev -10.7%

From notes: Sampled at EBF 2010. Pours a murky pale golden color with a stingy off white head that dissipates quickly. Wonderfully complex hop aroma, lots of citrus grapefruit and orange being in the forefront. The flavor is big with lots of caramel offset with plenty of hop flavor mostly of the peach/grapefruit/orange vein. Medium body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet resinous mouthfeel. Very nice big IPA that I waited much to long in line to taste. I’m glad I got to try this its a great beer, but I think I prefer the elder.

Update 2/24/2010-
10 oz at County Cork for $5.75 IIRC. I enjoyed three glasses, and over all had a much more favorable impression them my first sampling, and have updated my scores to reflect it. In general, I found it to be exceptionally smooth, with only mild heat on the finish when I really looked for it. I don't feel that it's particularly hoppier tasting then PtE (I assume they've reached saturation point), and is simply a bit thicker and stronger, which detracts from the drinkability and overall enjoyment to PtE, which I prefer. A bit more of that resinous dank bite, but definately dangerous. Still, I don't think this would be the frenzy inducer that it is if it was a regular release. Luckily, PtE is!

Initial review 2/21/2009

10oz. snifter at the Concordia Ale House for a whooping $8 (granted hops aren't cheap now and there are clearly a lot in this, but still...). Clear pale orange with a light sand head.

The aroma is very fragrant and bright, much more resinous then the Elder, and really smells exactly like a bag of dried hops, with a blast of alcohol.

The taste was a let down for me. This beer is too hot and boozy for my taste. The 11% is painful, and detracts from the hop flavor, which ends up falling short complexity wise (e.g. the floral notes I enjoy in PtE), with a firm bitterness and dry finish.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily, solvent like, medium bodied.

Drinkabilty is pretty low all things considering, and overall I was sorely disappointed. PtE is one of my all time favorite beers, but probably I'll never bother having this again. If you can't find this but are eager to try it, take a PtE and drop a shot of vodka in it and you'll get the idea.

2015 update:

Seems like a down year. Love the mouthfeel and drinkability for a IIIPA. But lacking a bit in the aroma this time.

2012 review:

At Belmont Station, side-by-side with Elder.

A: Copper, good clarity. Small, but persistent, head

S: Intense piney hops, forest floor earthiness, and something else a little funky in there, maybe a whisper of diaper. Except in a good way? Having a hard time describing it.

T: Huge hops flavor, but not overwhelming bitterness. A somewhat peculiar and almost artificial sweetness gives it backbone.

M: Long finish, slightly drying. Medium-low carbonation, enough to keep it quite drinkable

O: Okay, Younger you win. I take back everything I've said in the past about you not actually being as good as Elder. Maybe my tastes have changed, but I'm enjoying a bit more sweetness and malt-body in my IIPAs these days. Best beer ever, I don't know. But I sure wouldn't have minded having another.

4.17/5  rDev -10.7%

Waited in line a little over an hour at the brewery to enter the all-you-can-drink Pliny the Younger outing today! Hell yeah! Poured into a 10oz pint glass on tap. Served with delicious pizza made by the fellows at Russian River, who use their own beer batter for the dough. Does Pliny the Younger hold up? Oh, yes. Yes it does.

Pours a golden, copper-tinged amber orangish color with a slight amount of head. Glasses were arbitrary all around in terms of good head retention, and it seemed as such depending on the pour. I would have really preferred to see this in a snifter, but with the massive amount of people drinking this beer PER MINUTE, I doubt that would be the most feasible option. Nevertheless, the color is extraordinary. It's similar to PtE, except it looks far darker and intense in appearance, as if it spent time soaked in oak. There are bubbles that glide to the top of the glass in a graceful, near poetic manner. No alcohol legs on the glass, which is nothing but extraordinary. Has a syrupy, thickened look resemblant of wine. This is art, first and foremost.

Aroma is a little difficult to capture in a glass this small, or while it is too cold, but when it finally reveals itself, it's incredible. The triple hop markup from the original PtE recipe is evident, yet not as explosive as you'd think. There are tons of tropical notes here. This continues later in the flavor, which I will vividly explain. Mango, papaya, and pineapple soaked with pine needles, huge citrus lime flavors, and awash with alcohol sweetness and malt hearty goodness often resembling light toffee.

As for the flavor... My God, the flavor. I can't describe how amazing this is here. While the aroma was a little bit more subtle in showcasing the aspects of this recipe, the flavor is outstanding in every respect. The juicy mango notes continue, as well as other tropical varieties, and yet a huge backdrop resembling tangerines appears after every sip. There are playfully tinged pine/citrus flavors at the tip of the tongue with every sip, but they soon are replaced by the tropical flavors and bready, crisp finish aided by the malts. The more this warmed up, the more the flavor resembled taking a spoonful of fresh grapefruit right on the palate. For a beer this crazy, this is so easy to drink that by my second I was passively taking huge gulps while chatting about (contrary to the first glass, where it was respectfully sipped). The aftertaste goes on forever. Other than being easier to drink than water, the texture and body is out of this world. After each sip, the mouth slightly salivates, floral notes numb the cheeks, and the tongue is coated with a mango-hemp buttery texture. It creates a chemical reaction that makes you smack and lick the walls of your mouth and teeth, and then immediately takes you to straight to Beer Heaven.

This is utter bliss. I've had plenty of beers that far more exaggerated that this in flavor, and yet, this wins in being so ridiculously EASY to consume, especially considering the amount of flavors and complexity that goes with this. I'll be looking forward to driving up to Russian River every year when this comes out as my personal Mecca in beer enthusiasm. It's because of beers like this that I eventually took up homebrewing. Don't miss out any chance to have this if you can. It's worth every penny spent.

UPDATE (1/6/2014): The more I think about this beer, the more that I feel that I was way to swept up over the hype to review it objectively. This is a fun brew, very experimental in nature, and fully reflects the great diversity of the beer landscape in America. However, with that said, it lacks so much balance for any practical consumption if this were, say, a year-round beer. It's exclusiveness makes it fun to drink, but there's a lot of stuff whacked out with this overall - slightly under-carbonated, syrupy, extremely bitter and fruity, but no bready or dry profile to back it up. It's kind of the antithesis what makes PtE such a perfect beer to begin with. Nevertheless, it is really good and I will give this a proper revisiting this year. Until then!

4.18/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Toronado SF.

A- Pours rusty orange with 1/4 inch of brilliant white head.

S-Piney, resinous hops, grapefruit, weed.

T/M-You'd never peg it for 11%ABV. If you're familiar with the Elder, the Younger is Elder times two. A beer whose hop profile shifts from piney to earthy to tasting like a mouthful of sticky weed, to tangerines and mouth watering bitterness, all held together by vibrant, chewy carbonation.

D-Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome beer. But it's not worth the hype. The way people trip over themselves trying to get their little 4oz sample doesn't add up. Yeah, it's a really good DIPA, but there are plenty of really good DIPAs, and most of them are available for more than 2 weeks a year.

4.19/5  rDev -10.3%

Reviewed from notes, enjoyed in early March in Philadelphia.

A: A clear golden, with a fully one-finger head that sticks around.

S: Sweet honey, hops, and orange citrus.

T: Sweetness, with hints of honey upfront. Grapefruit dominates mid-sip before relenting to a strongly bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied, slightly slick, and fairly low carbonation.

O: Great beer (sort of reminds me of Hopslam, only with the strong bitterness in the finish that I feel Hopslam lacks), but not worth the insane hunt.

4.2/5  rDev -10.1%

Had a 5.5oz serving in a small snifter at Capone's in PA.

Appearance: Beautiful transparent golden color. No head as it was decanted once into a pitcher and again into the snifter. No big deal I think I will live.

Smell: Beautiful hop pungent aroma. Slight amount of booze, but at 11% that is not surprising.

Taste: While there are a ton of hops that hit you right away, there is quite a noticable malt backbone that kind of turns me off. A little boozy, but I guess it all balances out.

Mouthfeel: Even though it was was poured twice it still has a nice bubbly crips clean mouthfeel.

Overall: Very good beer, but IMO Elder is better by a longshot. Hype it huge on this and while it is very solid, I think it is overhyped. Thank you Russian River for another great offering!

4.2/5  rDev -10.1%

Mostly diminishing, but initially generous white head takes position above a straight golden body. Extremely complex hops nose hints at most nuances you can think of, all ahead prefumey and piney, but underneath hinting at a broad range of citrus fruits, leafy and minty in nature. Might gain a bit from being less liquorous, but this nose is truly fantastic, magical hoppiness I’d dare say, with maltiness being certainly felt if not exactly managing to show any flavours all the way through the hops. Palate is oily, full, slick, tannic and liquorous, hence surprisingly sweet, but it works thanks to a controlled level of citric acidity.

Review #200

Younger watch 2012!
No sad sob stories of long lines or pawning off my first born here. Seems like the SD establishments handled this year’s release in stride.

-1st sampled at Pizza Port Brewbies Fest 2012
$5 per 6oz taster – 02-11-12

Aroma and flavor was so on point here – hops were floral, vibrant, and pronounced. Alcohol barely detectable. Could have been Elder if I didn’t know any better! Really great stuff.

-2nd encounter at Stone Brew – happened upon a “silent tapping” & quite the dumb luck.
$8 per 10oz - 02-21-12 at time of review

A: Served in a chilled 10oz goblet by Dr. Bill himself. Pours a golden straw-amber color with decent clarity. Tiny white rim of head and a bit of leggy lace down the glass.

S: Smells of citrus peels and various stone fruits like apricot. Some evergreens and light caramel sweet malts. Noticeable Alcohol notes.

T: Tastes of citrus fruits with predominant grapefruit and tangerine flavors, loads of resinous pine, and a smooth caramel malt backing. Alcohol definitely present and warming but not too overbearing. Moderate bitterness levels overall. Not too sweet. Smooth drinkable and delicious.

M: Med. body but rather light for such a big brew. Smooth overall with a decent creamy texture. Some sticky hop resin coating. Nice crisp drying finish. Signature Pliny.

D: A really great TRIPA that isn’t cloying in any way. Solid in balance. Hoppy yes but definitely enjoyed this more just 10 days prior. Went from really great to just really good. Not sure if it is Stone’s use of chilled glassware that muted the hops a bit here but alcohol seemed much more evident to the point of being a touch boozy.

All in all Younger will kick your ass!

Snootch Out!

4.2/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 10oz goblet.

Appearance- Slightly hazy and straw colored with a very nice white head. Good lacing on the glass.

Smell- Huge piney hop aroma. Not much malt smell. Some alcohol.

Taste- Big piney bitterness all over my mouth. Small malt taste and lots of alcohol. VERY dry as well.

Mouthfeel- This is a lot thinner than I remember. A lot thinner. I did not expect this.

Overall- Very good IIPA. When I first had this two years ago I thought it was good but too boozy. I stand by that now, but I like it better this time around. Could it be my palate or the batch? It is much drier and thinner than I remember. I was glad to get this at the Horse Brass. This tapping was under the radar to say the least. Slow night and easy to get and enjoy quietly.

2012. Better than 2011s batch. Much more of a mouthfeel to it but still not sticky like some big IPAs can be.. Crazy booziness.

4.2/5  rDev -10.1%

Had this on tap at a few places during SF Beer week but this review is based on the pint at had at Pi Bar during Russian River night.
Pliny the Younger- Imperial IPA & 10.75%. It poured a golden vitamin pee yellow with a touch of white cream for a head. It smelled of lemon, lime peel, pine, grass and hops. It tasted surprisingly sweet with a bitter grapefruit peel on the back of the throat. It left my mouth tingly and dry.

4.21/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The holy grail of beer right? Well, no, not really. Sure it's a more hopped up version of Pliny the Younger, but it honestly does away with the biggest strength that Pliny The Elder has and that is balance. I found Pliny The Younger to be too much. I much prefer Pliny the Elder to Pliny the Younger and find no need to search this out again, though the party was fun :)

On tap at Horsebrass

A - Apricot in color, and very transparent.

S - incredible and my favorite part of this beer. pine, spruce, and lots of vitamin c.

T - The balance of this beer is quite an achievement. delicious hop goodness. I can for sure taste the elder in there. slight alcohol burn on the very back of the throat but very well hidden...actually amazingly well hidden...it was very hard to notice.

M - light and well carbonated.

D - Very drinkable, you can get through one fast. But after two, I'd much rather move onto a pale ale. If it was availabe all the time, not sure I would seek it out.

Perhaps a over hyped, but this is due to its rarity and it's unique Triple IPA status. I prefer other Big IPAs but this is an amazingly well crafted beer. I can now say I tried it, and very much enjoyed it, but I will go for something else at any bar with rotating taps...actually, I would order it again.

4.22/5  rDev -9.6%

With CrellMoset's before mine, it would make this #200 on here. Shared with Chris and dkachur with Clare.

A: It is an pretty clean amber. Nice creamy head that has great retention, and a nice spotting of lace.

S: A fruity and floral aroma - peach, pear, clementines. A sweet citrus scent and a scent similar to that in a florists shop.

T: Fruity sweetness is not as apparent in the flavour. It's a lot more piney on the palate, with a soft fruit peel flavour. Very little alcohol, quite smooth despite the hefty bitterness.

M + D: Body is medium and slightly tacky. A tasty beer, though admittedly I prefer the Elder, and found the scent to be more attractive than the flavour. I do look forward to another opportunity to drink it.

4.22/5  rDev -9.6%

Had on tap at Fathers Office in Santa Monica, CA. A nice suprise on a recent trip there. Pours copper, looks virtually clear, with creamy head and decent lacing and retention (note: bar lighting was not the best so this is the best I can get to the look). Smell was superb. A nice kick of piney hops with some caramel maltiness. There is a presence of alcohol but nothing terrible. Taste was great as well. A strong citric kick to it, stong tastes of pineapple and grapefruit I thought. Strong malt backbone, a bit of a sweet caramel taste. Warming on the way down and leaves behind a nice hop bitterness to it. The first sip is pretty intense I must say. The mouthfeel was perfect I thought. Very smooth, somewhat silky...just great. Not too light or thin, but not too thick or creamy. Overall a great beer, not that anyone is suprised. I could easily have a couple in a sitting. I, unfortunately, had to drive so I could just enjoy the one. But between a great beer and a great bar, this was an amazing beer experience.

4.22/5  rDev -9.6%

Served on-draught into a 10 oz glass at Russian River's taproom during the 2012 release. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were through the roof given the brewery, site ratings, and how good Pliny the Elder was.

A: Pours no real head - but with a floater. Colour is a nontransparent gold. I'm disappointed by the lack of a head; you could blame the glassware, but the brewery chose it. It's vibrant and appealing, however.

Sm: A citrusy hop aroma. Quite powerful and fresh. Clean and inviting. Floral hops. Pine. Juicy citrus; grapefruit. Refreshing and appealing.

T: Hoppy, but delightfully well balanced with a citrusy body and relaxed mellow balancing climax. I really like it. Layered and complex for an IPA - surprisingly so. Some hop bitterness comes through in the aftertaste. Crisp and fresh. Pleasant. No alcohol comes through. Quite subtle. Really refreshing. Would pair well with food. Supple. Quite enjoyable. Orange peel comes through, maybe citra hops as well. The structure is nice, with a subtle body, unobtrusive open, and nice finish.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Just the right thickness, until the finish, wherein it's a touch too thin. Suits the refreshing feel of the flavours quite well, but not perfectly. A touch sharp on the finish.

Dr: Delightful. Well priced for the high quality, but evidently difficult to acquire. Very refreshing and enjoyable. Best served fresh - of course. I'd definitely have it again if I could find it. I'm shocked as how well it conceals its ABV. Certainly amongst the best IPAs I've ever had (not to mention imperial IPAs). The only IPA that comes to mind immediately that compares is Sculpin.

I was skeptical of the hype, but while it's not a perfect beer - nor the best beer in the world - by any means, it's a great beer worthy of any beer fanatic's time. Well brewed, Russian River.

2013 Batch: High A- (Consumed at Verdugo Bar in Los Angeles) 16 oz/$16

4.22/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a growler courtesy of tzanio. HUGE thanks!! This guy went out of his way to send me a growler, because he felt he shafted me on our last trade, which he did not. Mega-karma his way!!

Poured this into my brand new snifter (what better way to break it in). Pours a beautiful orange/gold with a sticky, frothy white head on top. Decent amount of carbonation rising up. The webbing on this clings to the glass edge for dear life. Perfect sip rings follow.

This is the best smelling beer I have ever dipped my nose into! Wonderful mixture of flowers, grapefruit, pine forest, and alcohol. Other beers attempt this scent, but fall way short. I wanted to bathe myself in this it smelled so good.

Mouthfeel was creamy, yet still held a nice mellow crispness that I like in my DIPAs. This beer had a high warming quality as I sipped and sipped. Flavor was strong citrus smack smothered in booziness. I could sense the alcohol very much so in this beer. This hindered my drinkability, as I could only drink one glass of this. Curse my feeble palate!!

Besides the high boozy quality in this one, this is near perfect. I'm glad I saved some for the next couple of nights. And I'm glad I had an opportunity to try this. Thanks again, Tzanio!

4.22/5  rDev -9.6%

Had this on tap at Falling Rock.

Pours a very clear golden,orange color. A small white head drops to a thin crown very fast. Good lacing. Looking at the beer it's hard to imagine the hugh flavor and alcohol it holds.

Nose is very dank. Big pine and some citrus. Resinous with sweet malt balancing in out. Alcohol is definitely present.

The first sip hit my taste buds with a bittersweet and hop oil feel. Really good. Very hoppy with the sweetness of the malt doing it's best to keep things in check. Not as balanced as Elder. The hops do scrap across the palate with the alcohol providing a burn. I love an in your face IIPA so I loved it. The only negative was that as it warmed the alcohol became hot and started to compete with the hops.

Good mouthfeel and drinkability for the style. 8-10oz is enough to satisfy with completely wrecking the palate.

4.23/5  rDev -9.4%

This is my first official BA review. PtY on tap at the Bier Stein in Eugene OR.

A- Great golden almost orange appearance. No great head but the color was fantastic.

Smell- After being poured it was very piney with a good citrus note. Delicious hop smell that can be smelled from distance. Can tell that a hop punch is going to come with the taste.

Taste- First sip the citrus comes out very clearly with a still piney/ fruit hop aftertaste. Delicious. After it started to warm up the pine settled and the a lot more tree fruit comes out. I got green apple and pear.

M-Good mouth feel for an IIPA. Much better then the elder which I feel lacks in mouth-feel. Really felt as if something was going down.

O- I think it is a great IIPA. Best beer in the world...EEHH? It really does mask the alcohol incredibly and tastes great. Since we only had one 8oz pour and this is my first taste I don't think I can have the same review as people who have had it multiple time. Great beer. Would definitely have it again? Yes. Would i fight huge mobs of people. Probably not, unless it was from the source.

4.23/5  rDev -9.4%

on tap at the Toronado SF.
pours a dramatic orange/amber with a creamy one finger head. the head dissipates rather quickly, but there is some ok lacing left in the glass.
smell is the expected citric and piney hops, with a bit of grass and earthiness in the back.
the taste is rather unexpected, however, as I was anticipating an amped-up version of the Elder. the immediate impression is of pine, but that quickly gives way to a really nice spice, like some peppery greens, and black tea. the citric notes from the nose are barely present, but there is a nice floral character at the end, with a pleasant bitterness in the finish. malts do not register too much except as a faint sweetness in the memory.
mouthfeel is medium-full, without too much carbonation, a little sticky in the finish.
overall this is a heavenly tasting beer, but the ABV really sneaks up on you. I was aiming to have a few but had to quit after one.
definitely worth trying if you can, but the Elder is the more drinkable brew.

4.24/5  rDev -9.2%

Many thanks to redwoodgeorge and mntlover for making this possible.

This beer is like Elder on steroids. The beer looks the same, smells much the same but there are some differences. The higher abv of the younger is evident. This takes just a touch from the drinkability because caution is needed. Much like the Elder, this beer is worthy of the hype and and I will likely try and get some more in the future.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company