Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,219
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
realmpel

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at Father's Office. I had three of these nice little guys before the bar was even half full. I greatly appreciate the bar abstaining from doing a hyped-up Pliny the Younger night. Much nicer in my opinion to bust this thing out quietly.

The beer is nice to look at, has a nice fresh floral scent, and is at the same time a hop explosion and a well-balanced beer. I find it quite refreshing. You don't taste much of the 11% ABV. It's remarkable that a beer can be his hoppy, yet balanced and big.

02-17-2010 04:10:42 | More by realmpel
brewdlyhooked13

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance - pours a hazed light orange amber. Very little head, but after transfers from tap to growler to bottle to glass, well, I can be forgiving. A thin layer of bubbles appears and kind of limps off to the side.

Aroma - good malt base, intense pine and fragrant grapefruit following.

Taste - whew! A sweet start, the malts are there but struggling to develop because the hops are on right now! Intense in many ways - pine, grapefuit, bitter, and a late sweet orange citrus on the back of the tongue that comes outta nowhere. I think the underside of my tongue is even tasting this, and that's impossible!! :-D Very sweet and bitter on the same swallow, pretty cool. Late aftertaste is quite dry and bitter. It does the DIPA proud. A smooth warming alcohol feel as it warms. What a fine glass o' beer.

Mouthfeel - as expected, the carbonation is probably half of where it started. I still get a good hoppy burp here and there. For a DIPA the body is thicker than normal but most reasonable.

Drinkability - sickeningly drinkable. At 11%, that is a problem. No wonder pimpp offered to hook me up with a sample, he was probably very 'happy' after downing over half the growler, lol. At any rate, big karmaic kudos to him for sharing this delicious brew.

02-21-2008 03:54:03 | More by brewdlyhooked13
WesWes

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

The beer pours a beautiful golden color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is outstanding. It's your typical West Coast DIPA, but done to perfection. It has your standard pale malt base which seems to provide adequate balance. The hop aroma is sublime. It's citrusy with hints of pine. It's very bitter, yet not as much as I thought it would be. The taste is great; so smooth and drinkable. The alcohol is nowhere to be found. What there is , is a damn tasty beer that's relatively light and loaded with hops. This is a thing of beauty. The mouthfeel is great as well. It's a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. The drinkability of this beer is off the charts. There's not heat whatsoever, just heavenly golden nectar.

03-08-2010 14:03:03 | More by WesWes
Arbitrator

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Rewriting my review from the ground up.

From a two-week-old growler. It was waxed and refrigerated after release while my shipped ones landed. From notes.

A: Carbonation held up surprisingly well. I'd attribute that both to the wax job and to Russian River's choice of excellent glass. This is the first time I've ever filled a growler at RR, since they're too far away to visit more than a couple of times a year.

The pours crystal clear in the glass: it's a dark amber body with orange hues against the light. The head is fluffy and off-white, filling the snifter with crackles and pops. It leaves some register marks down the glass. This doesn't look quite as nice as the tap form, but for an 11% TIPA, it's impressive it even has head at all, much less this much.

S: Starts off with tropical citrus (pineapple, oranges, tangerines) and grapefruit. There is a wet pine needle aroma behind it. Malt isn't that pronounced, but it does have a sugar cookie backing. Very simple, I guess, to let the hop flavors come out. I also detect -- and this is different from the tap version -- a hint of booze.

T: Citrus, citrus, citrus. Grapefruit primarily, but it's followed closely by pineapple, tangerine, orange. The mid-taste progresses into dank pine flavors and light, perfumey floral hops. The sugar cookie aroma I noticed is apparent underneath as an underlying, lightly bready sweetness; but it doesn't add much as far as flavors go. Light spice in the finish. This is simply an ode to the hop. As in the nose, it's lightly boozy.

M: Medium-bodied; with carbonation a tad higher than medium. That helps suppress the bigness of this beer, but I have to say I noticed that the first glass and a half out of the growler were hot, which I did not notice on tap. The finish is semi-dry, with light lingering bitterness and not much oiliness.

I had HopSlam next to this, since the tropical citrus flavors make for a natural comparison. The sweetness of HopSlam made it taste like a barleywine in comparison. And I LOVE HopSlam. It really speaks to how well-attenuated PtY is.

D: I'm not sure whether it was worth it to go up to the release. I found this on tap very easily at a number of places, and like I said in my other review, the beer is delicious on draft. Out of a growler it's still good, but if this were my only experience with the beer, I wouldn't (and will not) give it all 5s. Even with this one waxed and sitting in the back of my fridge, it dropped off noticeably in quality. I can only imagine how much unrefrigerated transit takes out of this beer.

Still, it's easily a top-tier Imperial IPA; I haven't had a better one.

03-08-2010 17:34:19 | More by Arbitrator
ColdPoncho

Little 9oz swing top flask. Thanks Jason

A - clear medium yellow copper body. No real foam here

S - lovely bouquet of citrus and pine resin. Very enjoyable

T - citrus and pine. Fruity and bitter. Tropical and the like. Great complexity and profile

M - smooth and thick. Not really carbinated. But reasonable

O - very happy to have tried it. A great beer. Can't wait to try it again on tap in the future

02-10-2012 21:51:58 | More by ColdPoncho
squaremile

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Memorable Quality: The smell is an out of this world basket of hops, the hops punched me in the face like I have never experienced from a beer before. I felt like I was chewing a hop plant. I thought about this beer for days after I drank it, thoroughly deserving of the hype, the best hoppy beer on the planet.

EDIT: This thing actually haunted me for months. No beers could get close to it. Amazing.

02-22-2009 23:02:31 | More by squaremile
Kelp

New Hampshire

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Received this from sugit.

Pours forth an orangy color. Little whit head that stays and no lacing.

The smell is easily the best part of this beer. An overwhelmong amount of hops is the first smell. Followed by citrus and not just the normal grapeftuitiness. A finish of toffee maltiness and pine.

This a great beer, but I liked the Elder better. This is way to easy to drink for the ABV that it is. Hops right off the bat, then citrus follows orange and the grapefruit. Pine follows with a finish of malt and grapefruit left on the tongue.

A pleasant warmth to the brew from the alcohol. A bit thinner than i expected. Decent carbonation and very smooth.

This was way to easy to drink down. I am glad I shared this with a few people, because if I had kept it I don't believe I would have remembered much the next morning. A lovely brew, just not as good as the Elder to me.

03-04-2010 21:03:35 | More by Kelp
Gyle41386

South Carolina

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a growler into a tulip.

Orange pour. Not the generic amber/orange that seemingly every DIPA is, but just a bright orange. Much lighter than I was expecting. Thin ring of foam retains well, and leaves some nice lacing on its way down.

Aroma is pure hops. Huge pine, huge citrus, though I didn't smell much citrus until after it warmed up a little bit. I'm sure there's a pretty hefty malt load in there somewhere, but it just gets buried underneath delicious hops.

Huge hoppy flavor, too. Pine is dominant throughout, though there's a nice citric flavor as I reach the bottom of the glass. Some grapefruit and sweet malt underneath. Resinous, yet sweet finish. Was definitely glad to see the citrus come through as it warmed.

Medium-full body. Great texture, appropriately carbonated. No way this beer is 11%. Supreme drinkability. A 5 in that category doesn't do it justice.

02-28-2010 23:24:53 | More by Gyle41386
BMan1113VR

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

I have had this several times on tap and once from a growler. This rating is from 2009's growler (notes from the time). Pours with a small white head that fades over a golden body. Even after over a week this still leaves pretty decent lacing. Aroma is sticky gooey pine and citrus hops with earthy and spicy notes as well. Caramel and alcohol also back it up. Hops are straight up Simcoe and Centennial. Very clean, hop first taste with citrus and floral that blends to a sweet caramel and only slightly alcoholic finish. A touch of bitter orange liquor as well. Some pineapple too. This is a great example of hop goodness at its best. Smooth mouthfeel, light bubbles.
For every time I have had this, I find the Elder to be the better of the two. The balance of PtE is exceptional!

09-09-2010 21:57:05 | More by BMan1113VR
aerozeppl

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to Drseamus for bringing the west coast love.

A: Pours a clear golden color. Decent amount of white head especially for a growler. This looks like a cheaper beer but do not judge this book by it's cover.

S: Grapefruit dominated this for me. Tons of citrus and that really good west coast hop smell. Slightly flowery.

T: Hops. Really sweet for a DIPA. This was what we kept coming back to. How sweet this beer was. It was not even a malt sweetness. Almost like there were so many hops it picked up a sweetness. While there is a bit of balance going on here there are still enough hops to keep even the most grizzled hophead happy.

M:Super creamy with a nice thick mouthfeel.

D:No hint of the ABV at all. This beer could definately get you in trouble. While this was a great beer I do not know if I would actively seek it out. If I lived in Cali I would be drinking this on the regular however.

03-16-2008 04:24:21 | More by aerozeppl
B33R501

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

beautiful beer. very happy for the opportunity to try this, and big thumbs up for tj's in paoli pa, for keeping this low key, no pub, no event, no mass hysteria. got lucky, read a blog from last year said they had it, called yesterday to find out it was being tapped at 4. showed up 320, no crowd, got a seat at the bar, no fuss, no muss, absolutely the way it should be. my computer distributor is 5 minutes away, and for that alone i will return to this fine establishment. and paid only $6.75 one tulip.

pours very pretty gold, i got the first pour of the tap, big head, took couple minutes to settle while i eagerly anticipated, the bartender topped it off to make sure i got the proper amount. smells fresh citrus hops with a nice malty presence in the background. big flavor, citrus hops again, bready malts, huge. with no annoying or off tastes. perfectly bitter and so drinkable, i could have had many more, except for the one per customer limit.

not much else to say, great beer, great bar, great experience. maybe someday the brewery will make alot more so all could try. but i wonder if it would be the same then?

03-01-2012 13:21:50 | More by B33R501
phingdong

New Hampshire

4.59/5  rDev -2.1%

On tap at Russian River 1 week after release (Feb 8, 2013). This was a real treat to sit down and take my first sip after traveling from NH for this and SF beer week, etc. The weather, setting (love RR bewpub), and atmosphere were perfect. Having tried all of the top IPAs/DIPAS except this one, I had to confront the Younger.

I wasn't expecting to be blown away by this beer as I typically prefer DIPAs (TIPA) in the 8% abv range. I'm not a huge fan of Hopslam and other 10%+ DIPAs. This was better than I expected. I was quite impressed by the tropical fruit in the nose and taste for such a big beer. The booze is well hidden and the drinkability is off the charts (had 9 glasses over the week). Tropical fruit, pine, some booze, nice malt backing without being over the top. Delicious.

While this was not the best DIPA/TIPA I've ever had, and the setting and experience probably bumped it up a notch, it was an excellent beer. My expectations were exceeded. I do think this is a beer that is best enjoyed as close to release/fresh as possible (all hoppy beers are of course, but perhaps some more than others) as I noticed a bit of decline/change in aroma/taste by my last glass a week after the first (probably palate fatique?). I hope to return next year.

02-19-2013 22:45:21 | More by phingdong
Doc_Hops

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

This was released this morning at my local bottle shop. It was released at eleven am, I was the eleventh person in line, the beer is eleven percent abv, and it was gone in eleven minutes.... crazy.

A- Pliny the Younger pour a glowing deep yellow with practically no head at all, which is okay for me.

S- As I take a big whiff I smell loads of pine all the way. There's also a big burst of citrus as well, just as I expected.

T- Crazy amount of hop bitterness to start. More piny notes continue to come through with lots and lots of grapefruit citrus notes as well.

M- It's actually a bit light bodied than I expected. Very medium bodied with a bit of tingly carbonation. It leaves a very interesting alcohol coating as I swallow. A bit hard to describe but still incredible.

O- Very glad I got to try this. Absolutely incredible! Very complex, super hoppy and all around goodness. I don't think it's overrated, I don't think it's underrated. I think it's spot on!

Serving type- On tap poured into a 10oz snifter. Thanks for reading.

03-11-2013 02:55:31 | More by Doc_Hops
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Huge thanks goes out to a very helpful and patient BA, largadeer. Thanks again Chris!

Pours a nice clear yellowy orange with a stark white head that lingers forever and leaves great lacing. A very slight redness, this one doesn't quite glow, but tries as hard as it can. Carbonation stream rises from the etching in the bottom of my corsendonk goblet.

Nose is pure hops. Big West Coast hop resins waft out of the glass. A nice malty backbone is noticeable in the smell, but man o man this one just reeks of ooey gooey stanky ass hop resin. Grapefruit and pine abound, some slight perfume as well. Smells like this is going to be a major palate thrasher.

Wow. This is a fine fine D(T)IPA. Taste begins slightly mild, with good hop flavor. The sweetness from the malt backbone comes on early, and makes the taste feel a slight bit slick in the beginning. Through the middle of the taste, the hops start to take ahold of the reigns and begin to take names. Grapefruit, pine, and other citrus explode as the finish approaches. Said finish yields some fierce bitterness, but it is kept in check and balanced perfectly with a slight sweetness that makes its return here. Dry finish precedes the aftertaste that lingers of hop resin and citrus.

Mouthfeel is solid here. Near perfect viscosity, not too thick and soupy, but certainly not thin. If anything it is every so slightly undercarbonated, but when I say ever so slightly, I mean BARELY. Dry finish is spectacular without making one parched.

Drinkability is fairly unbeleivable here. You can feel the warming sensation when it begins to settle in your stomach, but there is next to no alcohol burn here, and this one goes down dangerously easy.

Overall, this is certainly one of the best DIPAs to be found on the planet. Amazingly well put together, quite balanced, and just plain delicious. If you are a hophead you MUST seek out this beer. It is one that you do not want to miss. If you never have this in your lifetime, and you die and go to heaven, as soon as they pour you one, as this will surely be on tap there, you will realize what you were missing your entire life on earth, and you will curse long and loud, maybe even punch a monk or two, drop kick a couple cherubs, and you will be kicked out and sent to hell.

So don't screw up and miss out on this.

I'm not saying this is the best DIPA on the planet, but it should certainly be in the discussion. I can count those that would rival it on one hand, and can think of none that surely beat it. An amazing beer.

02-10-2009 02:30:22 | More by AKBelgianBeast
akorsak

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

A growler filled at the Union Jack's Inn On The Manatawny. Thanks to Phatz for sharing it.

A: The ale has a vibrant golden color that nicely blends orange and yellow tones. The head has held up nicely, coming in thick and billowy on each pour.

S: The aroma is this thick with big juicy hops. Aromas include grapefruit, apricot and soapiness. The malts are big too, caramelly and big.

T: This IPA is incredible. The hops are thick and powerful from the first sip to the last, providing apricot, pineapple, grapefruit and lemon rind flavors. The malts don't shy away from the hops either. They are big and chewy, full of caramel and biscuit. The strength of the malts is enough to push this into barleywine territory (but that is another argument for another day).

M: The mouthfeel is intense from start to finish, showcasing an incredible array of hops and a big malty profile.

D: If only this beer weren't 11%... The ale is delicious with a great hop profile that refuses to let go of your tastebuds.

02-25-2007 21:30:19 | More by akorsak
Bierguy5

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Again, big thanks to mcallister and pixel for having us over and letting me sample this prize. Much of this review compares the younger to the elder. Younger again is gold in color, maybe a bit lighter. Nice thick white head, which held together very well. Great piney aroma, not quite as much citrus as the elder. Very sweet, a huge malt backbone. Piney and citrusy hops, but without as much peach flavor as the elder. Nice full body. Big, but not boozy, the alcohol is very well hidden. This is very enjoyable, and I understand why this is rated so highly.

01-28-2007 21:36:42 | More by Bierguy5
RaulMondesi

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Yeah buddy! Raul did it! Out of tha tap straight from ma's teet! - Russian River, itself.

Totally different from the Elder. That pop, that boom boom, that thing that make you wanna scream and say, "Yeah!" Not there. Smooth. All kinds of smooth. Raul on prom night smooth. Tasty like a Bar Rafaeli yoga session, but missing that lil crispness at tha end.

Raul like it, but he prefer the Elder.

Yep!

02-11-2013 19:54:06 | More by RaulMondesi
Thorpe429

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

On tap at Union Jack's Easter Hopfest on 04.03.2010.

A: Poured a pale apricot with a very nice, fluffy white head with loads of lacing as it goes down.

S: Bitter hops apparent from the beginning. Mostly tropical--mango and pineapple, mostly--alongside some grapefruit and other citrus notes. Not an iota of malt sweetness in the background.

T: Mango, pineapple, grapefruit, and apricot come from the hops. Apparently I need a hop break, as this one was bitter, but I didn't detect it much at all. The bitterness really complemented the fruitiness of the beer. Interesting "fruit" character, as the hops provided plenty of fruity characteristics without any actual sweetness.

M: Medium bodied, fairly dry, and good carbonation.

D: Amazing that I finally got to try this one after having so many things fall through this year. Looking forward to having it again next year, when I may just have to go straight to the source.

04-04-2010 00:56:08 | More by Thorpe429
riored4v

Colorado

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

8oz pour in to a tulip glass. Clear, caramel colored body with a thin head.

Aroma was dank, delicious hops. Full of floral and citrus hops. Awesome, malty and caramely sweetness. Strong grapefruit.

Taste is excellent and worth the hype. Big, bold beer but with an excellent flavor profile. Strong citrus and resiny hop flavor. Lots of grapefruit with some pine in the background. Good caramel flavor with a perfect malty sweetness to back up the massive hop flavor. Notes of honey as well.

Mouthfeel is very good. Medium body, medium/high darn and very dry finish that leaves a resiny hop flavor.

Drinkability is surprisingly good. Probably too good. Almost no signs of ABV. BIG hop flavor but the sweetness tones it down.

Excellent brew overall. Worth the hype and glad I finally got to try it. If you love hops and a well crafted big ipa...this is it

03-01-2011 01:07:57 | More by riored4v
Gavage

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: light orange in color with a short 1/4" head that broke down quickly. No lace devlops.

Smell: grapefruit, loads of hop bitterness, and a hint of sweetness creates a nice aroma.

Taste: big malt profile with a finely balanced sharp bitterness. Loads of grapefruit, caramel, ripe fruit, and a bit of lemon are most dominant. The bitterness does not overwhelm. Alcohol levels are not even noticable.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Lightly crisp throughout with dryness late. Aftertaste is long as the flavors linger in the mouth.

Drinkability: this beer went down rather quicky despite the big flavor profile. Is this beer the best in the world ? I still think Westy 12 would be my choice in a heads up competition, but this is one great beer. Special thanks to the Hulmeville Inn for getting this beer in house.

03-16-2010 22:57:07 | More by Gavage
Peg_greene

08-24-2014 11:29:01 | More by Peg_greene
iconoklaztor

Indiana

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to my buddy sugit for this sweet growler!!!

Pours a beautiful orange-ish, brownish color. Great, white, head that lingers for days but doesn't spring up on you while pouring.

The smell is duh, HOPS!!! Tons and tons of hops!!! Wish there was a bit more grapefruit but this is a beautiful smelling brew!

The taste was smooth and fairly balanced. There was a slight alcohol burn that took away from the brew but it wasn't terrible.

Overall, a WONDERFUL brew! Not my number 1 but its a damn fine example of a extremely hopped brew!

Cheers!

03-04-2010 15:03:23 | More by iconoklaztor
beachbum1975

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

HUGE thanks goes out to bifrostguard for this and his FIRST trade! Delivered on my doorstep on Saturday 2/7/2009 and shared with pwoods (<-- this guys owes me a shit ton! Just kidding), DrewOSU and Ftownthrowdown.

Poured from the flip-top Russian River growler into my traditional pint glass at around 40-45 degrees. Pours a clear, brass orange with an average tan head. Nice sticky lacing seen rolling up the edge of my glass. White, creamy halo of foam seen, as well.

You can smell this beer from the neighboring room! The nose on this beer is so intense. Huge, pounding of floral hops, ammonia (likely from the simcoe hops), sweet malts, orange citrus, grapefruit, grass, pepper, earth all mixed around a big slap of alcohol - basically the entire spectrum of hops all over the nose - holy shit, world class.

This is a MASSIVE freggin' beer! Starting on the drink was a huge wave of bittering hops. Medium bodied and FULL flavored. Finishes with a sweet, at time creamy finish. Waxiness on my tongue. This is a big, extremely tasty beer. Pine on the aftertaste lingers in my mouth. My palate is official shot for the remainder of the night. Soo much going on here. A plethora of hops and lightly balanced, semi-sweet malts, masterfully blended. Crisp and very dry, yet waxy finish. It's almost like a super-hopped strong ale.

Wow...

A million thanks go out to bifrostguard again - cheers!

02-10-2009 15:38:31 | More by beachbum1975
ecoastman

Ontario (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Big thanks to JZED for sharing and bringing this precious resource back to Ontario from California.

Great clear straw yellow colour and great hopped citric and herbal-pine aroma. The taste is complex and has a nice level of finishing bitterness. Smooth to start and semi-dry to finish with low courseness from a good level of carbonation.

Now let's get to the point:
Outstanding aroma when you get half-way through the beer and it warms a little... Suddenly I'm convinced that I'm smelling pineapple juice. Incredible.

I just wish I could get this in Ontario. I know what I'll be seeking when I travel afar...

03-19-2010 01:37:12 | More by ecoastman
fiver29

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Growler shared by AJ. Thanks AJ! Pours clear orange color with thick off white head. Aroma is citrus, simcoe hops with grapefruit rind, and some resinous stinky citrus hops. Medium mouthfeel. Flavor is an explosion of flavor. It follows the nose nicely and I can detect layers of resinous hop goodness. Upfront its citrus, then comes simcoe citrus, followed by pine sol flavor, and coats my mouth with hop resins and finishes with a touch of heat. Overall the alcohol is hidden well and I do detect a touch of alcohol in the finish. With more hops. Wonderful beer. Thanks AJ!

02-28-2010 19:20:07 | More by fiver29