2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Ratings: 2,130 | Reviews: 835 | Show All Ratings:
Salena

4.18/5  rDev -10.9%

One of my bf's favorites, i heard so much about this beer and heard also that it was not sold much and that it would not be in stock much longer, so of course i had to have some. I'm not usually into this heavy of a beer, but boy was i shocked to taste it and want more. Yummm! Boys sure do have a set of extra taste buds just for beer! I'm glad my bf is such an advocate otherwise i'd be missing out on a lot!

10-25-2012 16:10:13 | More by Salena
tony223366

4.95/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Beautiful golden amber color. Clarity is spot on. Nice action from the carbonation in a thin stream. Can't comment on the head unfortunately because of the near full pour (thanks!) but there's ton of sticky lacing.

S: Tons of inviting citrus is jumping out of the glass. Malt is present, more so than PtE. Lots of caramel and fairly dank.

T: Huge, bright citrus. It's so floral it's amazing. It practically perfectly rolls into the rich caramel malts. Lots of sweetness from the malts turns into a really even bitterness. As balanced as PtE is, this beer is bigger in every way... but still perfectly balanced.

M: Great carbonation that is needed for this huge hop/malt bomb. Very slick and astringent.

O: Another amazing beer from RR that took a very careful artists touch. When you're dealing with this much hops and malts you can swing in either direction so easily. Albeit I'm not going to compare it with PtE because they're different beasts. This is much more of a sipper. It's hands down the best 9-11% DIPA I've ever had. It's decadent in a way I've only described Russian Imperial Stouts before. Well worth the praise it receives but maybe not the 4 hour wait it took to be served on the release day!

02-07-2012 06:02:10 | More by tony223366
ricke

Sweden

2009 vintage.

Pours a golden orange with red hues and a small off-white head.

The aroma is a bit shy at first, but looses up after a while. fruity exotic hop notes of grapefruit, peaches and mango. Then, a more peppery and piny hop character with hints of tobacco takes over. Quite a lot of caramel malts is present, as well is a hint of alcohol.

The flavor is big and intense. A wide range of flavors are present: sweet and sticky caramel malts at the base, and lots of layers of fresh hops. Exotic fruits, pine-needles, grass and resins. The finish is spectacular with a quick flare of warming alcohol, lots of bittering hops and hints of grass and peaches.

Full-bodied and sticky with a semi-dry finish.

This is a great beer. Better than Elder? Hard to decide, but the accentuated sweetness in this one sure makes them different.

05-21-2010 22:45:52 | More by ricke
ecoastman

Ontario (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to JZED for sharing and bringing this precious resource back to Ontario from California.

Great clear straw yellow colour and great hopped citric and herbal-pine aroma. The taste is complex and has a nice level of finishing bitterness. Smooth to start and semi-dry to finish with low courseness from a good level of carbonation.

Now let's get to the point:
Outstanding aroma when you get half-way through the beer and it warms a little... Suddenly I'm convinced that I'm smelling pineapple juice. Incredible.

I just wish I could get this in Ontario. I know what I'll be seeking when I travel afar...

03-19-2010 01:37:12 | More by ecoastman
jjanega08

4.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Hand bottle from LongBeachHopHead. I decided if I tasted any sort of trouble with the bottle I wouldn't review it. It landed on my doorstep today and I'm cracking it with friends to share the love.

A= pours a nuclear orange with minimal head. The head falls fast and leaves some decent lacing. The color is beautiful.

S= Big pine and grapefruit. Nice tropical fruit smells. Pineapple in it. Reminds me of hopslam a little bit.

T= This is where hopslam and this beer seperate. The hops in this are much more of a resiny hop. Loads of plant matter taste. Almost a fresh hop taste. I feel like I can taste some plant matter in it almost. Really big piney hops. The malts take a back seat to the hops for sure. Really nice taste on this baby.

M= Smooth and creamy. Slick and coating.

D= Perfect drinkabliity. One of the best DIPAs I've ever had. Thanks for the bottle. I'm glad I got the try it.

02-20-2010 00:59:28 | More by jjanega08
Joeynocturnum

4.97/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to LongBeachHopHead for hand bottling this beauty so that I could taste the hype, and this is a case where I can believe the hype.

A- Bright glowing orange hue with a white head that was a little less than half a finger.

S- Hoppy-citrus and piney, could have inhaled this beer all night.

T- Sweet Citrus hop-bomb with hints of floral taste, 11% ABV was expertly hidden.

M- Crisp and refreshing, perfectly balanced carbonation no one taste overpowered.

D- Wish I had a growler, but was glad to have any. I probably would have been a mess, but if I had a growler I surely would have finished it in one night.

I have had Dreadnaught, the Elder, Hopslam, Sculpin and a few others in the last two weeks and I could see why PtY is clearly the CHAMP.

02-15-2010 18:49:34 | More by Joeynocturnum
ccrida

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev -11.5%

Update 2/24/2010-
10 oz at County Cork for $5.75 IIRC. I enjoyed three glasses, and over all had a much more favorable impression them my first sampling, and have updated my scores to reflect it. In general, I found it to be exceptionally smooth, with only mild heat on the finish when I really looked for it. I don't feel that it's particularly hoppier tasting then PtE (I assume they've reached saturation point), and is simply a bit thicker and stronger, which detracts from the drinkability and overall enjoyment to PtE, which I prefer. A bit more of that resinous dank bite, but definately dangerous. Still, I don't think this would be the frenzy inducer that it is if it was a regular release. Luckily, PtE is!

Initial review 2/21/2009
ap-4
s-4.5
t-2.5
mf-3
d-2.5

10oz. snifter at the Concordia Ale House for a whooping $8 (granted hops aren't cheap now and there are clearly a lot in this, but still...). Clear pale orange with a light sand head.

The aroma is very fragrant and bright, much more resinous then the Elder, and really smells exactly like a bag of dried hops, with a blast of alcohol.

The taste was a let down for me. This beer is too hot and boozy for my taste. The 11% is painful, and detracts from the hop flavor, which ends up falling short complexity wise (e.g. the floral notes I enjoy in PtE), with a firm bitterness and dry finish.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily, solvent like, medium bodied.

Drinkabilty is pretty low all things considering, and overall I was sorely disappointed. PtE is one of my all time favorite beers, but probably I'll never bother having this again. If you can't find this but are eager to try it, take a PtE and drop a shot of vodka in it and you'll get the idea.

02-21-2009 20:20:58 | More by ccrida
gpcollen1

Connecticut

4.65/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a home bottled younger some months ago but never recorded. Recording on revisiting it this evening.

Pours a golden orange into my Smutty Big Beer glass. A decent little head rises up and fades away in minutes. Aroma is deep, and sweet with the rich resiny hops kicking in and rounding out the nose.

Taste falls in line with aroma. Hops hit syou but the sweetness carries it through the sip. Lots of sweeet and sticky conifer, not even pine so much, resiny pitch that sicks deep into the swallow and lingers till the cotton sets in and your mouth is so dry it puckers. This gets a bit hotter as the temp creeps up letting some alcohol shine through a bit.

Have to thoroughly enjoy when the hype holds up. This is obviously a winner when in the mood for a DIPA.

06-29-2007 02:09:14 | More by gpcollen1
far333

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev -5.5%

Clear faded orange liquid with quickly rising bubbles. A frothy bright white head rises up thickly and settles down to a firm half inch cap.

Bright and inviting aroma of tangerine and honeydew melon, some honey and cinnamon.

Full and rich flavor of resinous toffee sugar and some oily and sticky citrus hops. Less sweet than in the nose, more orange flavored with some grapefruit rind in the finish. A piney warmth lingers and warms the mouth. That 11% octane is well hidden beneath the flavors.

Good mouthfeel and carbonation despite the ABV. Pretty full and satisfying.

Very drinkable for such a big beer. Many thanks to RedwoodGeorge for this fine selection.

06-21-2007 23:11:31 | More by far333
westweasel

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Props to Redwood George for getting a bottle of this to someone in the Chicago area!!!

The appearance was a hazy, bright gold color with about 1/4 inch of white head. A few initial whiffs brought scents of grapefruit and lemon rind. More careful sniffing brought out some alcohol and bready croissant aromas.

The flavor was all about hops. There is a strong hop bitterness made up of mostly grapefruit, pine, and lemon flavors. What is not there is a strong alcohol taste. The mouthfeel is full with a dry, bitter finish.

Overall this is an exceptionally easy drinking double (or triple) IPA. Much more drinkable than other examples that I have had. I could drink a lot of this... which is very dangerous.

05-29-2007 01:24:04 | More by westweasel
hero27

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a pale, hazy gold. Creamy head of white foam sits steady.
I was caught off-guard by the sweetness right off the bat..but that being said, once the sticky sweetness fades, this is one hoppy mother#^!%er... The citrus flavors are simply incredible..grapefruit, pineapple, orange, peach, mango, kiwi, etc, etc.. leading into an equally impressive piney, floral hop bite...wow. I would need to drink a lot more of this to try and capture all the flavors..and I have a feeling I'd be up for the challenge.
The huge hop dosage leads to a dry finish that leaves you tasting hops long afterwards..and at 11%, this remains remarkably drinkable down to the last drop.

A unique, complex, and unrelenting beer that certainly demands respect.

Can't thank wcudwight enough for the chance to try this rare gem.

05-21-2007 03:13:53 | More by hero27
Enola

4.2/5  rDev -10.4%

Many thanks to redwoodgeorge and mntlover for making this possible.

This beer is like Elder on steroids. The beer looks the same, smells much the same but there are some differences. The higher abv of the younger is evident. This takes just a touch from the drinkability because caution is needed. Much like the Elder, this beer is worthy of the hype and and I will likely try and get some more in the future.

04-19-2007 21:22:53 | More by Enola
wcudwight

4.28/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a clear copper/golden color with a solid inch off-white sticky head. I honestly didn't spend much time eyeing this one as the aroma when the bottle cap was popped kind of put me into a trance. Wonderful punget hoppy aroma. The aroma almost dares you and invites you at the same time.
Taste is much like the Elder. Hops are more agressive and the alchohol is more noticable in the finish. Still a marvelous tasting beer.
Mouthfeel is full, sticky and numbing. The Younger attacks the palate and leaves no doubt that he was there.
As much as I like this beer, and I LIKE this beer. IMHO, the Elder is better. I could drink the Younger often, but only a pint at a time. I could spend a happy life drinking nothing but the Elder. Both are excellent examples of thier respective styles by a top notch brewery and a very tallented brewer.
Thanks to RedwoodGeorge for not only providing the beers, but for the experience.

04-16-2007 02:32:10 | More by wcudwight
CharlesDarwin

Rhode Island

4.43/5  rDev -5.5%

Originally reviewed on February 10, 2005. Handbottle. Aroma is fuming blast of acidic fresh spritizing strong and sour citrus of grapefruit, fresh spruce and a hint of perfumy essence. Pour is a oranged yellow rimmed clear pour, with a lacy spotted sheets on the class of clean white. Flavor is a sweet fresh grapefruit, lime and cilantro. Savory and gushing with a gentle sweet maltness that superbly comforts and carries the hops as a delicate and sumptumous hop elixir. A true ambrosia. If the malt lent a little more character, and the hops were a little more transformed into that mouth warming bready goodness, this would be a top 10. Nonetheless, it’s an astoundingly drinkable high alcohol brew, with all those flavors carried perfectly, yet not leaving a harsh impression on the palate. Finishes actually quite sweet and floral, as opposed to typical dry grass, instead with lemongrass and a sweet cinnamon candy.

12-07-2006 04:38:18 | More by CharlesDarwin
mentor

Colorado

2.88/5  rDev -38.6%

Thanks to Redwoodgeorge for the opportunity...I was part of the unauthorized bottling project he undertook. Pours a one finger white head over a nearly clear orange amber liquid. Smells clean grapefruit pith. Sugar sweet and cherry. Underlying caramel accompanied by buried apricot esters.

Tastes buttery (blech). Caramel. Acidic. Mostly piney hops with some softer citrus. Cotton candy. Brutally woody dry with a taste of fresh 'morning cobwebs' in the forest. Fruity esters are lost under the hops.

Md thick mouthfeel and moderately carbonated. I swear I could feel the hop oils on my tongue. What I didn't like was a prominent and unpleasant diacetyl (buttery) that I found completely distracting. Ruined the beer for me, and it's reflected in the 'taste' portion of my rating. I found this same flavor in the samples I had at GABF last year (2005). In front of the brewer (knee-jerk reaction), I actually spit the beer out and said 'pediococcus!'.

05-14-2006 07:49:14 | More by mentor
weeare138

4.43/5  rDev -5.5%

Much thanks to hopdog for this hand filled bottle...don't know if/when I would ever see it on draft around here.
Appears a light gold with a small off-white head that slowly fades out. Scattered spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of bready, biscuits, citrus, rich resinous hoppy pine, and vanilla. Much like The Elder.
Taste is of the same and very delicious with a touch of caramel standing out.
Mouthfeel is slightly sugary and mildly piney, woody, and candy.
Drinkability is decent with some ABV that's noticable.

05-04-2006 17:56:46 | More by weeare138
goodbyeohio

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%

thx george

glowing orange and clear in my brooklyn snifter. cloudy patterns of bubble haze gather and swirl on the surface. lacing sticks all about the glass... romantic in its appearance.

smells harshly of orange liqueur.. oily alcohol and crystalline caramel sugars. opening of the nostrils allows a steady flow of near-noxious ethyl gases. citrusey and sweet but with consequences. rocket fueled ipa for sure.

feels silky and syrupy.. comforting and warming going down. taste is along the line of behemoth BW, but this beer manages to hop itself into next week and maintain the double ipa thing. a new dimension of hops dominated by orange essence does its best to mask the abv. very little tart grapefruity hops.. this is more sweet, sweet, and sweet fruitiness. nice twist on the style with acidic fresh mcintosh apple skin crispness. some elements of the spicing here are extremely floral, rose and honeysuckle accenting the final product.

this is good, but overall way too huge for my current tastes. that said, i can totally respect its uniqueness and think that despite my personal opinions this is a really fuckin good beer.

03-28-2006 01:52:51 | More by goodbyeohio
orbitalr0x

4.83/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to RedwoodGeorge for this handbottled bomber, counterpressure filled from a keg and sent off to me. Pliny The Younger pours from the bomber an amazingly clear bright orange/peach color with a half inch of frothy bubbly white head on top. Slow carbonation rises up to meet some sticky lacing. Aromas of beautiful, vibrant hop cones attack my senses with bold citrus, grapefruit and pine needle aromas. A sweet, slighty doughy caramel undercurrent is present as well. Quite possibly hop nirvana. Green, leafy, floral and quite simply enchanting. Wow.

First sip brings a rush of intense piney and citric hop oils across the palate. Bitterness establishes itself from the get go as the resinous hops relentlessly attack the palate. The underlying caramel, mildly doughy maltiness does a good job of holding things together. Such an awe inspiring amalgamation of wonderful hop flavors. Green, intense and vibrant, like sucking on a fresh hop cone. One awesomely hoppy, incredibly tasty brew, no doubt about it.

Mouthfeel is smooth, medium bodied and creamy with the perfect amount of carbonation. This beer is a joy to drink. Honestly, the only hinderance to the drinkability here is the high abv, otherwise I could sit and enjoy this fabulously hoppy brew all day long. A hopheads dream come true, I only hope to have the chance to sample this again someday. Guess it's time to plan that trip to California, so I can sit and adore this one at the source. Russian River strikes again!

03-18-2006 04:08:01 | More by orbitalr0x
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

Received from the BA's BA, RedwoodGeorge, as part of his recent Home Bottling Project. Thanks a million George for bringing smiles to this hoppy beer lover, along with many others.

Electric tangerine with juicy pineapple edges. The French vanilla canopy is three fingers in height and looks incredibly thick, rich and creamy. There's been very little deflation in the several minutes since the pour and it appears as if the head will last forever. I don't have forever, though, because I'm dying to take a sip. It eventually melts just enough to reveal a thick, sticky coat of lace with a few dots of visible glass. I prefer dirty, hop-flecked DIPAs, but this one is more than superb.

The nose is, without question, one of the best in all of beerdom. I was pretty sure that it would be pure hoppy bliss... and it is. And then some. There's an incandescent, brain-filling explosion of the sweetest, juiciest hops imaginable each time I venture anywhere near the glass. Thankfully, the malt is buried without a trace, allowing the hops to work their incredible, lupulinirific magic. One of the best of all-time.

Pliny The Younger is a gorgeous, unbelievably delicious Double IPA. There's no question in my mind that this style should be all about the hops. Those that favor the caramel malty, more balanced side of the DIPA continuum, edging into barleywine territory, miss the opportunity to brew transcendent, explosively hop-centric beer, the likes of which is sitting before me right now. Make no mistake, this one is all about the hops. And hops. And more hops.

There's a solid, sugar cookie-like maltiness that lays down an unshakable base and provides support for whatever tonnage of hoppage that may be thrown its way. The trick is in laying off any hint of toastedness or caramel-like flavors that would dilute or mask the citric hoppiness. Lightly (and I do mean lightly) brown sugar-crusted candied grapefruit peel abounds, along with a blissful bitterness that is unrelenting in its pithy intensity.

I may be able to appreciate the slightest hint of bitter orange, but white grapefruit is front, center and side-to-side. I'd love to know what varieties comprise the hop bill, but it's pretty obvious that the best hops in the known universe (one or more of the 4-Cs) are represented in a major way. I just can't get over the liquid candy-like, sweet and bitter, unalloyed nature of the hoppiness. Pliny is everything that you've heard it is and is everything that I hoped it would be.

It's nearly impossible to completely bury a 10.5% ABV, but Russian River has given it a Hurculean effort. I'm not sure that I'd want the alcohol to be completely absent since it provides a power and presence that lets you know that this is a serious beer that must be respected. Hell, I repect it for the flavor alone. Maybe it's my elation at the out-of-this-world taste, but I'm halfway through the bomber and I'm barely feeling it. This is the most drinkable 10.5%'er ever!

The mouthfeel is simply perfect. Mouthfillingly full with an incredible lasting stickiness after the swallow. Lushly sappy is my favorite sort of DIPA mouthfeel and this beer fits that descripton to a 'T'. When it comes to the carbonation, I have to give credit to RedwoodGeorge for the amazing re-bottling effort. I had some qualms that PTY would be over-carbonated, but that hasn't been borne out in the actual drinking. It's perfect: enlivening without being the least bit spritzy, fading to muted by the second half of the bomber.

I held off on contacting RedwoodGeorge for a trade that would have brought me a growler of Pliny The Younger because I knew that I would love this beer more than any other that I've ever had and wanted to experience it in Santa Rosa, as it should (ideally) be experienced. When the opportunity came my way, however, thanks entirely to George's incredible generosity, I just couldn't turn down the chance to try one of the world's best.

Before cracking the crown, I told myself that there was no way I could give perfect scores to a beer that had been re-bottled from a keg, no matter how outstanding. I'm glad to report that I was wrong. Pliny The Younger is a remarkable beer that transcends any attempt on my part to put its magnificence into words. I still plan to make it out to Santa Rosa some day. When I do, I'm going to ask the Alstroms to come up with a rating scale that includes sixes, 'cause I'm gonna need 'em.

03-12-2006 23:40:54 | More by BuckeyeNation
Zorro

4.63/5  rDev -1.3%

Sampled thanks to RedwoodGeorge and his most Excellent trade!

Pours a clear copper colored ale that forms a surprising amount of head in my Duvel tulip glass despite the alcohol level.

Smell is vast quantities of fresh hops, I can tell THAT 3 feet from the glass as I look at it. Big abundant hop aromas here. The first thing that hits your nose is a stiff aroma of bitter oranges and Meyer lemons, a very citrus smelling IPA. Lots of pine and spice scents are in this one. Black pepper, lemon grass, cardamom, fennel. Fruit scents of papaya, mango, pineapple and probably others, this stuff numbs up your sense of smell after a while.

Taste is surprisingly mild at the beginning and is dominated by fruit flavors, peaches, melon and passion fruit at the start. Spicy hops flavors join in next pepper coriander, lemon zest, angostura bitters, and a bit of juniper berry. Quite a tasty beer indeed!

Mouthfeel is quite good.

A super tasty beer here that I could almost give straight 5s for but I do think Pliny the Elder and Three Floyds Dreadnaught are just a little better. Having said that I will hit this stuff like a starving Mako Shark anywhere I see it offered. Word Class Beer! That sums this up.

03-04-2006 02:50:40 | More by Zorro
Sixpoint

4.63/5  rDev -1.3%

Had this bottle at American Beer Fest in Boston.

Beer had an awesome, pillowy head on top.

Aroma? Fuggedaboutit. Massive quantities of west-coast hops. Citrus fruit, anyone?

Aggressive hop flavor, but well balanced for such a light color. Outstanding.

Medium bodied, but not syrup given the strength.

Overall, very drinkable given it's strength and hop flavor.

06-19-2005 15:55:37 | More by Sixpoint
jsunj

4.45/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pliny the Younger. Oh how I've longed to try you over the years since entering the craft beer world. Finally had the opportunity to try this beer on tap at Lucky Baldwins in Old Town Pasadena earlier in February this year, side by side with PtE might I add. This beer definitely deserves its place on the BA top 250. Piney, floral, boozy, yet still retaining its balance.

04-17-2014 23:48:59 | More by jsunj
Kramerwtmf

4.79/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This review is based on my experience about two months ago. Pliny the younger is an amped up version of the elder. It's a little bit sweeter than the elder but I think it masks the 10.25% really well. Such a great beer but I've come to expect that from Russian river.

04-17-2014 02:50:47 | More by Kramerwtmf
andrewsando

this was the best beer i ever had. belive the hype. full bodied, very smooth with a high abv. creamy head on top. very hard to get. waited an hour and a half and luckily was still on tap. would definitely do it again. i have tried almost all the top beers and this definitely my favorite of them all.

04-02-2014 20:38:58 | More by andrewsando
Detroit_Velvet_Smooth

Colorado

4.89/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had 2 10oz pours about a month ago at Falling Rock Tap house in Denver, CO. First time trying it, extremely smooth with the perfect balance of bitterness and floral/citrus, extremely drinkable and crisp. Beautiful rich amber color, and the smell contained everything from fresh wild flowers, to tropical fruit, to earthy. Lucky I got to have a second!

04-01-2014 17:33:46 | More by Detroit_Velvet_Smooth