2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Ratings: 2,135 | Reviews: 835 | Show All Ratings:
Selbyg

4.43/5  rDev -5.5%

The younger... What can I say this beer lives up the the hype. I've never had a triple IPA that was this clean. I had it on 2/24/2014 so it's my first dive in. I had to wait in a long line and take the afternoon off work to try this beer. Let me just say it was worth it. If you can get your hands on it, do. If not you can always stumble upon the elder also a great beer and is close to the taste of the younger.

02-27-2014 18:10:55 | More by Selbyg
Hoptometrist

Oregon

4.88/5  rDev +4.1%

Served on tap into a goblet.

A- Poured a clear dark golden color with a white head with big bubbles that left no lace.

S- Big tropical fruit, passion fruit, peach, and pineapple notes. Very juicy and hop forward aroma.

T- Giant passion fruit, orange marmalade, juicy tropical notes, peach, pineapple, grapefruit, and mango. Very pungent hop character, some dankness, and high hop bitterness.

M- Very smooth, some nice warming, prickly carbonation, dry and a little creamy. The drinkability on this triple IPA is incredible.

O- It lives up to the hype, not saying I would wait in line for 5 hours for it. I am glad I bought a ticket and got to try it. This is an incredibly complex and tropical triple IPA with incredible drinkability, mouthfeel, and manages to have an incredible juicy hop profile and high bitterness that work perfectly.

02-26-2014 03:18:59 | More by Hoptometrist
gueuzedreg

4.3/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From notes on 3 pours yesterday at Falling Rock side-by-side with Elder on tap

A- Golden, crisp. Minimal carbonation, more transparent than Elder. Thin lacing.

S- Some grapefruit, citrus out of the nose. Minimal hops. This has more of a fruit character.

T- I think this is really well balanced. Elder tastes like it has more abv than younger. Younger has less of a presence.

M- Pretty thin, some cream. Medium amount of carbonation follows.

O- Massive hype on this one. You could have told me that this was some random Colorado IPA and I would have believed it. No out of body experience for me. I liked Elder on tap more.

02-24-2014 14:57:07 | More by gueuzedreg
fatmusic14

4.3/5  rDev -8.3%

On tap at Falling Rock on 2/22 (and again at Backcountry on 2/23)

While I don't think any beer is worth waiting 5 hours for, this was on my "must try" list, and I wasn't too hungover to wake up at 6AM. Headed to the taphouse at 7:30am, in line at 7:45, and surprisingly, was not first. Nice little gathering, people drinking coffee, playing board games, and enjoying each others company waiting for the doors to open.

A - pours a lovely hue, somewhere between golden and amber. Other beers of similar stature have a better pour (i.e. Hopslam), but the color is not why I was there.

S - Holy Moly. If someone finds a way to harness the scent of this thing, please let me know. I would pay handsomely for it. Literally spent the first 2 or 3 minutes just smelling it. Everything you would expect from something in the IPA family (layer upon layer of hops, grapefruit), but jesus, was this a step in the right direction.

T - everything I was hoping for. So much going on in this pour, every sip makes your brain spin trying to wrap your head around the complexity. Piney, earthy, boozy. The one downside, the booze. I did not feel that the ABV was very well hidden. Still delicious, and I had 3 of them, but it was a TINY bit overpowering.

M - beautiful

O - Look. If you can get some friends together, and the weather is nice, go ahead. Its worth it for the experience and frankly, the beer also. Is it really #2? Eh, probably not. I am glad I went, and would absolutely drink it again if it were available, but I probably will not be attending another release day.

02-24-2014 01:44:42 | More by fatmusic14
ThaddeusGhostal

4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

Had this beer at a keg tap at toronado in san Diego. Three glasses down and I was feeling a really good buzz. Waited an hour and a half to get it with two extra glasses on top. Totally worth it. The mouthfeel is so intense, it goes down like a creamy citrus sparkly firework. The taste is very similar to pliny the elder with a lot more mouthfeel and even smoother which is odd but I'll take it! Had a great time waiting in line and drinking with the people I met in line. Totally worth it. It's the experience coupled with great beer that just makes it all come together for a hell of a time. Any true beer fan should aspire to taste this beer. Til next year, cheers!

02-23-2014 21:35:03 | More by ThaddeusGhostal
JSEg

4.93/5  rDev +5.1%

I really enjoyed this beer. Worth waiting 8 hours? Probably not. But what beer is worth 8 hours? Overhyped? Not by a long shot. Russian River really put a ton of work into this beer and it shows. The smell was incredible; intense grapefruit which I love. This beer is 10% but is not boozy what-so-ever. In fact, almost no alcohol taste and very easy to drink. I think everyone owes it themselves to at least experience this beer once.

02-23-2014 18:37:15 | More by JSEg
hoppytobehere

4.33/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Falling Rock, February 22. 10.25% ABV

A: Clear body. Light copper color with a little head.

S: Loaded with hops, smells like Simcoe to me. Booze is noticeable. This is a huge beer.

T: Follows the nose. Huge hop bite without being too bitter. A little hot. PtE with just an absurd amount of hops. Incredibly drinkable all things considered.

M: It's no PtE in this dept but decently carbonated and a little sticky.

O: I'm not a ticker, but I'm really glad I had the opportunity to try this. It's an excellent beer, but would never waste 3 hours of a day again to get it. I can think of several IIPAs that are better and also aren't impossible to get.

02-23-2014 06:19:01 | More by hoppytobehere
mc4z

On tap at Toronado (SF). This beer is awesome. I could dock random 1/4 points, but for the style, it doesn't get any better. This pours a medium orange color that is surprisingly see through. The smell is juicy citrus fruit with a light sweetness. The taste is lots of strong citrus fruit. It's bitter, but at the same time balanced by the sweetness from all the malt. There is virtually no alcohol presence, which is quite a feat for an 11% beer. This beer is incredibly drinkable and perfectly balanced. Far and away my favorite TIPA.

02-23-2014 03:24:27 | More by mc4z
UAhobbes

4.89/5  rDev +4.3%

I've been about the hype for two years now...learning about the Younger releases last year and missing my opportunities. After striking out twice already this year, my opportunity came this morning (2/22/14). After the hours of driving, parking, waiting, holding in a coffee dump, waiting, making small talk, waiting, finding a quick spot for said coffee dump, waiting, taking pictures, waiting, and more waiting....my snifter was poured and the deliciousness was before me.

It's an odd feeling, seeing 6 ounces in front of you and realizing that each ounce equated an hour of your life. It's an odd feeling, having what you've "dreamt" over, researched, and hyped over to be in front of you. What do you do first?

Smell: It smells like heaven, or what I hope "heaven" to smell like. To me, it's smell is the liquid brother of bacon smell. The aroma coming off this thing was amazing. Super piney with hints of citrus.

Taste: I sipped too quickly. I don't know if it was the hours of waiting or the general anticipation of it all but I sipped before it had a chance to open up. The first taste, to me, wasn't worth the hype. It wasn't until five-ten minutes went by that I realized just how delicious this beer tasted. The longer I waited, the better it became. The Younger went down so easily, especially for it's 11 ABV.

Overall: Worth it. The combination of how delicious it was, coupled with the camaraderie one creates with other beer nerds makes for a wonderful experience. I'm glad this isn't an everyday beer for it gives us something to yearn for throughout the year.

Long story short, enjoy the process and let it breathe.

02-22-2014 23:54:01 | More by UAhobbes
beersgud

Kansas

4.7/5  rDev +0.2%

Stem glass poured from tap at tap room San Diego's 7th anniversary party.

Pours golden with about 3/4 inch head, ideal appearance for an IPA.

The aroma for some reason is a little hard to find. Very clean, but honestly not too strong. What I am finding is typical of the style. Piney with a hint of citrus.

Taste is where this beer really lives up to the hype. I can't imagine an IPA tasting a whole lot better than this. Remarkably clean for an 11 ABV. This beer goes down dangerously easy. So mellow for a beer that is so aggressively hopped.

Very light and airy but strikes the taste buds at the same time.

Overall, probably the best IPA I've ever had. A little bit better than a hopslam or an enjoy by, but not by a whole lot. Don't know if it's worth the hype, but then again, hype grows exponentially. Definitely worth seeking out if you can find it, but I wouldn't wait 8 hours at the brewery for it like some of the stories I've heard. All in all, an amazing beer, the gold standard for the style.

02-22-2014 20:21:58 | More by beersgud
Bbates

2.61/5  rDev -44.3%

Ok guys.... This beer is pure marketing hype. I hate to be a buzzkill here, but anyone can create a beer that is so over-hopped that it kills the taste of a mediocre brew. When did overly-hopping a beer become the gold standard? This started in California and has unfortunately spread to other states. Hops do nothing but mask the true flavor of a brew, and have classically been used to cover up mistakes. In the case of Younger, a hop EXTRACT is used, ala Anheuser-Busch. Look, I LOVE beer- all styles but just as hops can set a brew off they can ruin it very quickly. It seems Belgian an German brewers, with centuries old tradition, have a firm grip on the concept of the judicious use of hops to complement a beer without overpowering it. The only explanation I can come up with is the fact that lupulin, a compound found in hops, works on the same receptors in the brain that THC does. At one point I had great hopes for the direction of brewing in the states, but am dismayed at the current school of thought that hops equals great. I know I may be ruffling a few feathers here but let's keep it real. This brew is pure viral marketing and nothing more. The best thing about Pliny the Younger is the sense of camaraderie it creates among those waiting 3+ hours in the rain for it. This is what people really love about it. That and the feeling of exclusivity they get from the unreasonably difficult process of obtaining it.

02-21-2014 22:26:15 | More by Bbates
rhartogsq

4.44/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had it in a wine glass type vessel at Toronado San Diego 2/18/14.

The color was a great, golden ale color. I was expecting a little darker, but you can't smell or taste color, so no worries. No head, no lacing.

I didn't get much on the nose surprisingly. some tropical notes for sure. Some hop oil.

Taste was great. The booze was minute in it. the hops didn't linger at all. very smooth and enjoyable. tropical hop extract perhaps?

mouth feel was very creamy and stuck to the side of your mouth, I liked that.

was happy I lucked into getting this beer to cross off my bucket list. Would have it again if available, but not wait for a long time in line for it. The experience drinking it with other people waiting for it was actually pretty neat, as we all had the same goal.

02-20-2014 20:33:19 | More by rhartogsq
Kramerbarthomer

4.95/5  rDev +5.5%

On tap at Falling Rock in Denver.

After what I'd heard about the lines at the brewery in Santa Rosa, I didn't know what to expect here. Showed up at 4 pm. No line at all. Sat down. Had a blind pig and PtE while waiting and had my Younger handed to me at 6 pm.

What an experience. A true world class beer full of hops, pine, and citrus on the nose and tongue. Wonderful mouthfeel and a lovely light orange hue.

It lives up to the hype. If you have the chance, drink this beer.

02-20-2014 03:48:36 | More by Kramerbarthomer
ThePaleRider

4.98/5  rDev +6.2%

Had this white whale on tap at Hamiltons in San Diego

Great IPA appearance and fragrance. What sets this IIIPA apart from others is the fact that it's 10.25% and still drinks as smoothly as a pale ale. Goes down really well. Didn't give a perfect rating because the body is a little light. This brew feels and almost drinks just like the Elder, but packs more of a punch. Was it worth waiting in line for? YES.

02-20-2014 01:07:11 | More by ThePaleRider
DennyCrane

4.54/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap in SF at Toronado. $6 for what looked to be an 8oz pour.

Minimal head, wonderful appearance. The color was magnificent. Definitely got me excited.

Smell was great. Somewhat similar to the Elder. Definitely good.

Taste was awesome. First few sips, i swooshed it around in my mouth. Really good stuff. Very crisp and drinkable for a "triple IPA".

Mouthfeel was like a normal APA, not a big hop bomb. Very crisp.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer and am very glad that I got to try it. I hit RR in Santa Rosa on Sunday night around 9 PM hoping I could sneak in and get a glass before the end of the day allotment but I missed out by 10 minutes. As much as I enjoyed this beer, I am very glad that I didnt wait 6 hours in line like alot of people.

If you can get this beer without too much hassle, go for it. It is great but not worth the madness. I suppose nothing really is...

02-19-2014 00:04:10 | More by DennyCrane
IRONRakkasan

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Being from Sonoma County, I figured it was time to brave the lines for this reported "World Class" beer. I am not a fan of IPAs by any means, but felt I had to try PtY at least once in my life. I really was hoping the 2.5 hour wait would be worth it.

Well, suffice to say....it was. For a triple IPA I was surprised how good it was. The experience was very nice, from the smooth hops flavor (was expecting a Lagunitas IPA-like assault), crispness, citrus notes, and high alcohol content that went down super easy (as did the second one). While still not a IPA fan, PtY most definitely lives up to the hype and worth your time.

If you have a beer bucket list, I'd say this needs to be on it, and crossed off!

Cheers RRBC!

02-18-2014 21:22:31 | More by IRONRakkasan
Photo of

4.61/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2/14/14
At Russian River Brewery
Three 10 oz pours

A: Clear golden orange, slim to no head, constant bubbling from bottom of glass.

S: Smells like expected, very nice! Pine, citrus, hops dominate.

T: Great! Piney citrus and lots of hops. Pine resin, can taste the alcohol but its hidden well. Slightly less bitter than previous years. Nice aftertaste. Perfect pair with jalapeños.

M: Medium to heavy body. Almost creamy. Resinous and syrupy. Nice. It's a big beer.

O: Excellent. A more syrupy, resinous Pliny the Elder. This beer is hyped like mad, worth it if you get the chance.
Perfect pair with Pliny bites!

Got to the brewery in Santa Rosa at 9:40am on Friday, Valentine's Day. I waited in line for two hours, then recognized someone up front when I went to pee. Otherwise would have waited five hours. Wouldn't have been worth it if I didn't see them. Solid afternoon with top notch beer, making new friends.

02-17-2014 05:24:54 | More by
DT509er

3.38/5  rDev -27.9%

I'm a IPA guy, but my taste buds are over-loaded from the alcohol on the triple IPA's.

PTY was a rather surprising taste for me, I found it to have a subtle alcohol effect with a sweet taste overall. Texture was creamy, reminded me of a Cream Ale soda (texture only). No real head to each pour, its beer in the glass top-to-bottom.

This is a good beer but if I had to stand in line as others have done, and continue to do, this is not the beer I would wait for.

Prost!

02-16-2014 20:21:50 | More by DT509er
JRscott24

4.98/5  rDev +6.2%

This treat was being served on Valentines day at a local bar in Danville, CA. 2 full kegs tapped out in 43 Mins. Once again, this beer did not disappoint. A full-bodied brew with a powerful hop aroma and lingering taste. It is the perfect example of a triple IPA. Incredibly smooth. Incredibly strong. Memorable flavor.

02-15-2014 20:23:35 | More by JRscott24
jdhowe

4.56/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Bobby G's Pizzeria in Berkeley, CA.

A: Pours a crystal clear golden orange with little to no bubbly white head and a fine, thin, white ring of head around the glass. Continuous bubbling is visible from the base of the glass.

S: Super sweet and syrupy. Resinous hop character of pine, earth dankness, grapefruit, peach, and stone fruit. Tons of malt sweetness. Lots going on in this beer.

T/M: Really full medium mouthfeel with carbonation that feels low, but only because of how syrupy and resinous the beer tastes. Completely smooth with tons of hop resin coating the mouth. Prickly carbonation up front with a surprisingly subtle hop bitterness that isn't really harsh at all gives way to super resinous hop character, primarily citrus. Tons of malt sweetness provide waves of juicy stone fruit and candy. Finish is smooth, juicy, coating, and moderately bitter. Alcohol is well hidden.

O: This is a really excellent beer. It's hardly worth the trouble to get to enjoy it, but it's really quite nice. The abundance of flavor is almost too much, though; it's so thick and flavorful that after even a few ounces I feel pretty satisfied. I probably wouldn't drink this daily given the chance, but am glad I've gotten to enjoy it a couple times and would definitely do it again if it wasn't so much of a pain to get.

02-15-2014 10:50:27 | More by jdhowe
spark3148857

4.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Toronado

Pours clear pale golden color with little to no head to speak of. Aroma is pretty much spot on with the Elder, super balanced, super hoppy, with notes of pine and citrus. Taste is like taking a fistful of fresh whole cone hops and shoving them in your mouth. Huge vegetal, piney, slight citrus, but mostly just a ton of hop oil that coats the mouth and pretty much destroys the palate. Younger really shines on the mouthfeel. Smooth, silky, with absolutely no boozyness to speak of. Practically unheard of! Am I glad I stood in line for 30 min at Toronado? Yes. Is it the best triple IPA I've had? No. I would probably prefer having the Elder over the Younger on a regular basis but wow what a great triple IPA.

02-13-2014 21:35:27 | More by spark3148857
Wolberjs

4.84/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

1st BA review. Go big or go home I suppose.

Drinking side by side with pliny the elder at russian river brewery. So review will be stilted by the direct comparison.

A - both are beautiful clear amber beers. The elder is still bubbling away but younger is not. 4.75

S - Same piney notes on both, but younger has the more complex citrusy fruit. 4.75

T - younger has the more complex and pleasant taste. More citrus fruit on top of the piney taste. 5

M - even though elder has the more carbonation the younger mouthfeel is better to me. Younger has the best mouthfeel of any ipa I've had, so it'd be a 5 in its class but doesn't compare as well to smooth silky stouts like bcbcs, etc. 4.5

O - slightly better than elder. So... Yeah fantastic. 5

02-13-2014 20:27:55 | More by Wolberjs
Zaso

Served from a tap in San Francisco during the launch week. Pours just like any other IPA of it's style; Crisp, golden and clear. A sniff brings about a lot of similar notes as Pliny the Elder, but I get a lot less pine and more of that malty sweetness on the head, especially as the beer warms. Citrus, a subtle grapefruit and some bitters all present. The taste, like the Elder, stay true to it's smell, and the abundant hop character comes right out at the front, with a consistent, malty undertone that slowly takes the focus as it goes down, leaving a very palatable taste in your mouth. This beer hides its alcohol just as good as any I've had. It really gets lost in the sweetness from the malt, and I wouldn't have pegged it as a >10% beer if I wasn't already aware that it was. The style of hops that are used really compliment the malt well, so there isn't a flavor that dominates the taste of this beer. It's smooth and the tiniest bit more creamy than a usual IPA. This beer really has the same taste as the Elder, but with a sweeter backing to balance well with the additional hops. Not as malty as a 120-minute, but not an overloaded hop-bomb either. You can tell it has been meticulously balanced.

In the end, this beer is really just an IPA. There no special ingredient or process that goes into it's production. It hasn't been fused with anything extra or aged in special barrels for extended periods of time. It's just an IPA, and that's all it will taste like. That being said though, after sipping on it for awhile, it's hard not to appreciate how drinkable it is for a triple. If anything, the alcoholic will sneak up on you before you want to stop drinking this beer. On one hand, it's hard to give all 5's to any beer, but on the other, give Vinnie credit where credit is due for cramming such a large hop bill into as remarkably well-balanced and drinkable a beer as any. 5/5.

02-13-2014 08:30:22 | More by Zaso
Trilogy31

4.89/5  rDev +4.3%

Been. Long time since I logged in, wanted to hate it but its worth reviewing. Had it at Marriott SF drank 6 10oz pours trying it for my first time. Absolute pure clarity on that yellow gold with a finger of foam. Smashing citrus and pine in your face almost a bit of resin, literally I cracked a smile. Drying but not cloying at all. With rich citrus and forest maybe apricots and a deep bitterness that was clean no sweetness. One dimensional but pure perfection not a pliny fan but fing amazing for what it is at that abv.

02-13-2014 03:23:21 | More by Trilogy31
smanrob

4.7/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Showed up at 6:30AM on 2/7/14 (opening day). We ended up getting the very last table of the first set of people in. All things considered, I think we ended up having some good timing. They opened the doors around 10:30 and we were in by 10:50. Overall, we waited in line for just over 4 hours and spent about 3 hours in the pub enjoying the Younger and a few of their other gems.

This is our third pilgrimage for the Younger, and while it's always worth the wait, I'm sad to say that relatively speaking, I think this is their first strike. Last year I walked out knowing that "this is a top 2" beer... this year I left having to debate about whether or not it's a top 5 beer. Why??? Hop balance is ineradicable as to be expected, but this year there seemed to be an overpowering of Warrior hops and the Simco hop flavor that is so distinct may have been overwhelmed by the Chinook. Not to take anything away from the final balance, and I know that this is like nitpicking the Mona Lisa, but that was just my opinion.

*Only getting to enjoy the beer on on day each year may lead to inaccurate recollection, so I thought I'd get this review down ASAP. Additionally, it is hard not to hype up a beer just to self-justify the long line and waiting in inclement weather.

02-09-2014 17:28:36 | More by smanrob