Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Reviews: 890 | Hads: 2,771
4.03/5  rDev -13.7%

Sampling this live right now at Capone's.

Pours a dark golden orange/tangerine color with golden orange hues when held to a light source and a two finger fluffy, soapy white head that has amazing retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Soapy chunks of white lacing are left behind.

Uber fresh dank oily hop aroma that is very floral with a lot of sweet citrus notes balancing out the earthy pine. Slight malt presence and a somewhat strong alcohol character. The high ABV is noticeable in he nose and takes away from the hops a bit.

Chewy full body, especially for the style, that is bursting with uber fresh earthy piny and sweet citrus hops. Very floral with lots of lemon peel and grapefruit as well as some tropical mango and pineapple. There is a slight malt backbone providing some balance but this beer is all about the hops. There is a good bit of alcohol heat that takes away from the hops a bit too much for my liking but overall the ABV is decently masked. This beer is still dangerously drnkable but I wish that it had a little less heat. I've had this beer several times and I love it but I still prefer Elder.

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

22oz bottle obtained via trade with RedwoodGeorge. Thanks for the opportunity... Brewed 1/3/2006, hand-bottled via counter-pressure system 1/19/06.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/8" off-white head over the clear light amber brew. Head fades reasonably quickly, with plentiful lacing. Aroma is a twinge of tangerine, and then christmas tree pine aroma that dominates it all. Flavor is as the nose indicates, with a fruitiness upfront that is quickly shouted down by the piney-yet-somewhat-fruity hops explosion. I can feel enamel dripping off my teeth, and it's great! Mouthfeel is amazing, that for all the hops power, it still has discernable flavors, and drinkability is superb for the style, not just another bottle of hops with a grain hull or two for color. Worth the hype. Thank goodness for "George's Unauthorized Home Bottling Project".

4.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Clear orange with a thin, cream coloured head. Spotty lacing was evident from the fine bubbles, which showed excellent retention. The aroma was all hops - powdery, floral, tangerine, pine, and grapefruit, not necessarily all at the same time though. There was a lot of malt sweetness up front, but a very strong bitterness hits at the same time. Floral and citrusy hop flavour fills the midsection, with mild pine, orange and tangerine. Spicy alcohol appears towards the end and grapefruit bitterness really lingers. Full bodied served with moderately low carbonation and significant alcohol warmth and numbing. Drying hop finish with slight stickiness. This is really good, really powerful. Highly drinkable for such a big beer. Everything is just turned up on this beer - a lot. I think I prefer the Elder as a beer I could drink on a regular basis - this one seems to be fit more for special occasions. I'd be a happy dude if I could get either on a regular basis...

4.79/5  rDev +2.6%

HUGE thanks to nerd for hooking me up with this growler IP at DLD, I owe you man, been waiting a long time for this one.

Pours a crystal clear light amber/orange, nice and bright, very thick white head forms, slowly settles down to a very thick ring around the glass and thin layer, big chunks of lace stick to the glass. Smell is insanely hoppy, very complex, tons of tropical fruit, pine, grapefruit, oranges, very perfumy, alcohol, apricot and light fruits, caramel, some biscuity malt, lightly sugary, tons of citrus in this one, mango, all over the place, amazing stuff. Taste is amazing as well, tons of orange peel, almost acidic how much hoppiness there is, pine and grapefruit, caramel sweetness through the middle, big alcohol but not overdone, slight graininess near the finish, almost a jasmine sort of character in the finish, very bitter but also is sort of balanced, very complex. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, pretty thick for a DIPA, with medium carbonation. Crazy hoppy but still balanced with the malt. Wow is this a good DIPA, insanely hoppy but just the right amount of malt to balance it out. Well done, big thanks to Michael for this one!

4.95/5  rDev +6%

On tap at Belmont Station on 3.19.11 with hopburster.

10oz pour, followed by Elder and Bling Pig.

A - Beautiful bright light orange, crystal clear with a nice white fluffy head.

S - Pine, pine, pine, and then some citrus notes.

T - Smoth piney hops followed by silky citrus flavors.

D - Nicely carbonated, with no bitterness at all, zero.

O - I was afraid that the hype would let me down, but this is one of the best beers I will ever taste. I can not wait to try it again.

Seperately it would have been hard to tell the difference between Elder and Younger, but following the Younger I could detect some slight differences. I would never turn down either, ever!

4.3/5  rDev -7.9%

I had this on tap at Naja's in Redondo Beach. It was presented in a tumbler, and had a pale orange color with a thin foam comprised of big bubbles. The beer was very clear which I guess I didn't expect.

The aroma is massively hoppy, and of course the flavor also. Actually I compared this with the Pliny the Elder and I prefer the Elder because it seems a little more complex, kind of more malt in the flavor it seems to me. But that's just what I took out of it.

Drinkability is pretty high, even though this is pretty alcoholic. I think the hops weren't so excessive as to kill my tastebuds.

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this courtesy of gford217 - thanks!

Pours a slightly hazy honey copper color with a thick off-white head. The head sticks around for quite a while before settling into a large-bubbled crown leaving solid lacing.

Smells great. Hops and more hops are front and center - citrus, tropical, floral, and pine hop aromas. This really is every hop aroma under the sun.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though with more of a malt backbone. The malt doesn't really have a flavor, just more of a setpoint from which to judge the huge amounts of hops. The bitterness sneaks up on you - managing to get stronger and stronger with each sip, but never so overpowering to hamper the hop flavors. The ABV is there, but it's as well hidden as any non-stout I've had with this high of a percentage.

Mouthfeel is good - good thickness with grainy carbonation make this one glide down my gullet.

Drinkability is great. I could drink not one, but multiple growlers of this - just so easy to drink.

Overall this beer did not disappoint. Everything is done exceptionally well and I hope everyone gets the chance to try this at one point or another.

I had some at the brewery and liked it so much that I tracked it down at a couple places in San Diego (Hamilton's Tavern, SD TapRoom).

A - Rich orange-gold with minimal head.

S - Strong pine but citrus comes through as well.

T - It's an elevated version of PtE. There is a stronger citrus flavor that is able to hide the higher alcohol content. The overall balance is incredible.

M - Amazing smoothness that makes it so easy to drink.

O - This is my favorite beer so I am biased when I say that this is deserving of the hype. I probably wasted way too much time tracking this in February/March, but I imagine I will be doing the same thing next year.

4.65/5  rDev -0.4%

I drank this from RR growler into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a medium orange that is surprinsingly clear. The head rises about 3 fingers but falls quickly to a soapy cover. The lacing is light.

The aroma is much lighter than I had anticipated. The aroma is some hops mixed with a little pine and a bit of soap.

The taste is also pretty light, much lighter than I thought it would be. It starts off a little sweet then goes to a full bitterness throughout. When you start out its a little bitter, but as your drink it, it becomes very drinkable.

The feel is medium in body, a semi dry feel, and a very lasting flavor.

The drinkablility is very high. You can't notice the 11abv but its highly drinkablility.

Overall, this beer is really really good. Its smooth, drinkable, and a nice expenience. Its not overally hoppy which is nice. Is it the number 1 beer in the world, no? Is it the best ipa in the world, no? Is it a top 50 beer for me, yeah, its that good.

4.54/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

6 ounce pour into short tulip glass, enjoyed during PtY tapping event at Side Bar in West Chester (shout out to my man, Brendan, the ever friendly bartender at this awesome establishment). PtY was not hazy, as I had anticipated, but rather clear. Slim collar and decent lacing, although both head and retention were likely compromised by nature of event (servings were pre-poured before I got to the bar rail). In any event, the nose was incredibly flamboyant/expressive, with sweet piney hops evident. In the palate, the experience was at first extremely hoppy, followed by a mango/papaya floral fruit note, and finally, a sticky piney/citrus burn.

Loved this, though it was hard to match the hype.

Had PtY again, a couple weeks later, at a surprise tapping hosted by Monk's Cafe which was announced via e-mail blast. I just happened to be in Philly that afternoon, having lunch 6 blocks away. Needless to say, I dropped my fork and SPRINTED to Monk's, where I was fortunate to enjoy two full pours before the keg kicked an hour later. Must say, it was better than I had remembered. Would now give it 4.75. Cheers!

4.99/5  rDev +6.9%

After 3000 miles traveled. After 4 hours waiting in line. I finally try The Younger.

A-Pours vibrant and rather clear. Thin, creamy head leaves wavy stains of lacing. I detect the lightest essence of haze in the body. Its color is a divinely illuminated shade of sunset orange. I am shocked by its clarity.

S-The wettest, ripest, juiciest and most concentrated display of hops I have ever experienced. Pine and a fist-full of grass ripped from the lawn. Then there is a cornucopia of topical fruit. Hop perfume, hop nectar, hop extract. I can smell it from a foot away.

T-The intensity and complexity of the flavors is like nothing I have ever experienced. It got better and better as it warmed. At its perfect temperature, the flavors I experienced were stunning. Peach, mango, cantaloupe, tangerine, nectarine, guava and pineapple. A liquefied sweet-dough malt embraces the hops but is absolutely overpowered. The flavors couldn't have been richer.

M-I have never had a beer with such a long aftertaste. I could literally taste it several minutes after a sip. I could taste it an hour after my final sip as well. Incredibly juicy and resinous. Like chewing on a hop. Drinks with far too much ease.

O/D-Worth the countrywide trip. Never have I experienced a beer with such a combination of power and finesse. The Jim Brown of beer. I am quite sure no beer can ever surpass this. Every beer I try after this can only hope to find a place on the same tier as Pliny The Younger...

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

on-tap, last drop bottle shop in seattle

appearance: 11oz pour, unbranded tulip. bright golden body, clear. so this is what salvation looks like...

smell: bright aromas - citrus zest, pine, pineapple

taste: its hard to objectively assess a beer as rare as the younger - the elder is such a great IPA, so how could the younger really be that much better? A brilliant hop profile - lots of fresh cut pine, grapefruit zest, orange, peach, pineapple, a touch of alcohol, some nice sweet malt that holds great balance. Thrilled to have a pour - not going to chase this guy around town like some, but a wonderful ipa

mouthfeel: medium body with moderate carbonation, oily hop resin

overall: yum.

On tap at Local 44 and the Memphis Taproom yesterday

Pliny pours a bright golden orange with a thick, white head with good retention. Lacing was a little patchy but the way this beer glowed was rather unique. On the nose... well, it's just like I remembered. An explosion of hops - pine, citrus, hop resin, mild fruit. Dank hops. On the palate, it is just that, a riotous explosion of hops, semtex and hops. Medium-light in body with a mild sweetness to counter the hop bitterness, this is spectacular.
The past 6 weeks seems to have taken it's toll on the mouthfeel, the hops aren't as vibrant as I remember them being. That said, it's still a perfect 5 (fresh Younger deserves a 6) and drinkability? I had 4 glasses, over a liter of this stuff, and I wanted more. Fabulous stuff.

4.17/5  rDev -10.7%

Update 2/24/2010-
10 oz at County Cork for $5.75 IIRC. I enjoyed three glasses, and over all had a much more favorable impression them my first sampling, and have updated my scores to reflect it. In general, I found it to be exceptionally smooth, with only mild heat on the finish when I really looked for it. I don't feel that it's particularly hoppier tasting then PtE (I assume they've reached saturation point), and is simply a bit thicker and stronger, which detracts from the drinkability and overall enjoyment to PtE, which I prefer. A bit more of that resinous dank bite, but definately dangerous. Still, I don't think this would be the frenzy inducer that it is if it was a regular release. Luckily, PtE is!

Initial review 2/21/2009

10oz. snifter at the Concordia Ale House for a whooping $8 (granted hops aren't cheap now and there are clearly a lot in this, but still...). Clear pale orange with a light sand head.

The aroma is very fragrant and bright, much more resinous then the Elder, and really smells exactly like a bag of dried hops, with a blast of alcohol.

The taste was a let down for me. This beer is too hot and boozy for my taste. The 11% is painful, and detracts from the hop flavor, which ends up falling short complexity wise (e.g. the floral notes I enjoy in PtE), with a firm bitterness and dry finish.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily, solvent like, medium bodied.

Drinkabilty is pretty low all things considering, and overall I was sorely disappointed. PtE is one of my all time favorite beers, but probably I'll never bother having this again. If you can't find this but are eager to try it, take a PtE and drop a shot of vodka in it and you'll get the idea.

4.77/5  rDev +2.1%

on tap at khyber in philly. served in tulip glass.

Pours a clear golden orange, nice fluff of white head, patches and wisps of lacing and retention while drinking.

Heavy dose of pine and citric hops, notes of tropical fruit and apricot, lighter doughy malt with soft hints of sweetness.

Starkly bitter hops up front, explosion of citrus and grapefruit, followed by sticky resin, pine, and rind. Slowly moves into softer fruit sweetness with lighter tropical notes. Caramel and dough backbone is present but rests underneath the intensely hopped flavor. Crazy amount of lingering bitterness and dryness on the tongue. Soft alcohol warmth towards the near everlasting hopped up finish.

Creamy medium body, exceptionally smooth on the tongue especially for the style, milder carbonation. Insane level of drinkability for the ABV, I left feeling like I wanted to drink about half a growler of this stuff. The hop profile and crazily balanced flavor is off the charts, and I feel like I can comfortably say that this one lives up to the hype.

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours an almost crystal clear golden orange color. Huge frothy white head that lingers, leaves great lacing and holds the delicious smell. The scent is a beautiful whiff of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple with vauge hints of pale malt and pine resin. I found myself smelling this beer more than i was sipping. Taste begins with the semi-acidic grapefruit, mellowing into a semi-sweet pineapple and tangerine. Bitterness comes through in the end through tastes of pine resin. In between, definite tastes of pale malt are present and provide just enough to smooth the edges between flavors. Body is medium, slightly oily and slick, but does not linger on the palate and cloud future sips. Overall, and excellent dIPA... more akin to a hoppier version of Blind Pig due to all the fruit notes. To me it appeared much less bitter than the PtE due to these tropical fruits.

4.73/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

On-tap, served in a snifter

Appears a golden orange with pretty good clarity and some tiny bubbles pushing their way through the viscous liquid. A small, yellowish cap and dots of lacing.

The aroma fills the air, and from an arm's length away, you get strong waves of apricot, papaya and mango. Outside of tropical fruit, you get fresh cut pine needles and sticky, resiny hops. There is a small trace of sweet, toasted malt. The aroma is where this beer really shines, so pleasing and inviting.

Wow, perfection. They found an even better balance than the elder while still delivering a crisp, dry, bitter hop bite. Apricots, mangoes, pineapple, and papaya with fresh cut pine and a resinous, viscous body. These hops stand tall and bright with just the right amount of bitterness to let you know this guy means business.

Resiny, viscous body but not heavy. Creamy and lush. The finish is dry and bitter. Only a touch of warming once you get 3/4ths of the way through the glass.

This was a breeze. I couldn't get it away from nose and I really had to tell myself to slow down. It is just too damn delicious.

4.46/5  rDev -4.5%

on tap after a 5 hour wait. Pour is a clear golden orange with a tight white head. The nose is light for the size, heaviest on citrus with notes of pine and hop resign.
The taste is much bigger, very balanced and nice. Not as sweet as I thought it would be, heavy pine and citrus, smooth creamy feel on a big body. Fairly dry with a rather assertive bitterness that lingers for quite some time. The citrus Is prominent with a strong gust of perfume coming in towards the back of the palate. Notes of grapefruit as well

Had this in a pint at the Brewery, loved it so much got a growler also served into pint glasses (6)

A - Slightly hazy golden with one finger white head with good lacing and good head retention.

S - Great hop profile with balance of citrus and pine and a bit of malt sweetness.

T - Smooth and balancde beginning to end, amazing hops grapefruit, orange, lemon, pine, with a sweet malt and the best dry bitter finish I've had in an IPA. Nice alcohol flavor as well.

M - Full body, medium carbonation.

O - Best IPA I have ever had. This is my favorite style. This is among my favorite beers. DRINK IT!

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

Not sure of the glass size but I had this at Monk's on 2/28. When I got to Monk's the line was pretty long. Looked to be about 100 people so I was shocked to get a glass at all.

A: Poured a clear copper orange with slight layer of white head.

S: IMO this is the best smelling IPA. I could smell this all day. While everyone else was taking pictures of their glass I have my nose stuck in mine! Over the top hops!!

T: Taste is pretty much what I was expecting. It tastes like it smells. Similar to The Elder but bigger and hoppier. By far my favorite tasting IPA.

M: Perfect carbonation. Very smooth.

D: I could and would drink this until I fell asleep.

One of the few beers that actually live up to its massive hype. Its bittersweet to finally try this one. One glass a year doesn't cut it though.

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a 10 ounce glasses at the brewery. From notes. Reviewed 5 February 2013. Released 1 February 2013.

A: Golden and clear, with some effervescence and very little head.

S: Resiny fresh hops (like the Elder) but with a fantastic underscent of tropical fruit (mango! papaya! pineapple! orange!).

T: Mmm. It's good, great even, but I can think of a handful of tastier DIPAs. Pliny the Younger is strong and commanding, filling the mouth. It's bitter and loaded with not only pine but grapefruit peel and orange juice. The malt base is dry and biscuity (again like the Elder). The main drawback of this otherwise delicious beer is the aftertaste -- it's bitter, yes, but with an obnoxious alcoholic tinge (almost like rubbing alcohol) or a tap line that has been poorly cleaned.

M: Full and delicious. No complaints here.

O: I really enjoyed this beer, but it is almost certainly overrated. That said, it grows on me, and after three or four glasses I feel like I *get* it. It's a perfected Pliny the Elder -- the same dry malt base, same pineyness, but wayyy more fruit (yay) and more alcohol (meh). It pairs wonderfully with pizza and spicy food, and, if you can ignore the dubious aftertaste, it's VERY good. Recommended.

4.32/5  rDev -7.5%

First, second, third, etc. many solar system-sized thanks to cloudskipper for going through the trouble of securing this growler & shipping it to the cold northern steppes. Was going to get one last year but turned out I was going on vacation after the release, so I've been waiting an entire year for this opportunity. Break out the glasses & pour that Younger!

Pours a clear, concise gold that would make the Gold Rush of '49 proud. Intense, hard-edged grapefruit is the dominant smell, with pine, citrus, all flowing out of the glass.

Pliny the Younger lives up to its rep as a serious IIPA. Yowza. The water-borne hops come mashing out of the gate at a full gallop. Again, the grapefruit of the hops is ascendant, but there's that Pine-Sol touch right behind it, & a colander full of bitter, mouth-shrinking hop character. Others include just a crumb of breadiness, malt that's a touch dankish & sweet but barely apparent, before the bitterness rushes in at the end to crush the living life out of everything else. Death to the non-hop!

Very sinewy & slippery in the mouth, tar-coated pine needles are all I can think of. Drinkable? Well, I'll have another glass & get back to you on that. But intensity of the hops, virtually unleavened by anything else, means this wouldn't be my drink of choice over a span of hours.

Well, it's tough to live up to the rep it's developed - Pliny isn't the best beer I've ever had. That said, it also obviously deserves the accolades. It's excellent, & I'm delighted I had the opportunity to try it. Thanks Chris!

Wonderful. It's chock full of hop flavor. I've had a number of DIPAs, and this beer expresses hop flavor better than any beer that I've ever tasted.

I'm currently tasting this beer against Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig. It's an interesting comparison, but the flavor profiles are quite similar. Pliny the Younger tastes a lot like Pliny the Elder, just as Blind Pig tastes like Pliny the Elder. Each beer steps up the strength and intensity of hop flavor. Blind Pig to Pliny the Elder is a smaller step than Elder to Younger but not substantially so.

Hops are the star in the flavor department. They are citric, piny and very floral. The citrus is grapefruit, orange and tangerine mixed with pineapple. The pine is dark and resiny, like sap. I don't know flowers well enough to identify the floral aspect beyond wonderful wildflowers.

There is a strong malt backbone that allows this much hop flavor to come through. Is this beer balanced? I would say so, but the malt does not express the same complexity and assertiveness of the hops. That is not to say the malt isn't strong or is bad. The malt is actually wonderful. It's like a caramel cookie swirled into a fine hop tea.

The alcohol is in this beer is exceptionally well-hidden. I'm giving this beer a perfect score, in part, because I can't imagine a way that this beer could be differ and be better for it. I say that because I can't imagine this beer without the same strength. I guess the alcohol is present, but it's not unpleasant in any way.

The color is very close to Elder and Blind Pig, which is to say golden-amber and wonderful. The aroma is very hoppy, with the flavors as previously described. The feel is also exceptional, almost oily with hop essence. Sorry, just trying to get through the other categories.

I should probably end this as I just finished my second glass out of the growler (not to mention some Blind Pig and Elder), and I can certainly feel it. It's a great beer. Try it if you can. I hope that they start bottling it. I can't imagine that they couldn't turn a profit on bottles. I know it's expensive to produce, but you can charge a pretty penny nowadays for a bottle of beer. Anyway, great beer.

4.45/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to jrallen34 who let me share his growler with him.

A - Very attractive looking beer, slightly dark, golden color, can see clear through on it. Bubbles cascade toward the top, bit of a head, that dissipated, left some bubbles on the side but not really much in the way of lacing. Growler opened with a pop, but it was 15 days in there so guessing there would have been a bigger head on a fresh one.

S - Smelled the pine notes from 3 feet out, but when I got to actually inspecting the nose it was not nearly as strong as I was anticipating. Pine dominates, no real citrus hops like I would have guessed. The pine is not overpoweringly bad like some of hop bombs though, it fades away to a nice sweet malt.

T - Pine and bitter right off the front end which fades into a decent sweetness before coming back with a some more piney hops and fading to a dry finish. Very complex, usually I consider a 3 stage beer a good thing, this one is a solid 4, maybe 5 if you count the return of the hops once the beer is gone from the mouth. Very nicely done. After a few swallows the bitterness is gone, and it's just piney and sweet, no real citrus that I can find though.

M - Smooth, nice finish. Carbonation was a little light, but assuming this is due to the growler.

D - 11%? Seriously? Could destroy this all day, don't even taste the alcohol. Dangerous, way too drinkable for the abv.

On tap at the Falling Rock $7 per 1/2 pint, wow. Served in a wine glass, nice orange color, smells amazingly hoppy like Pliny the Elder. Tastes bitter, hoppy, stronger. Honestly I think the Elder is better. This didn't seem to add hoppy value, only alcohol. A delicious IPA but the elder is better as far as I'm concerned.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company