Follow our progress ...

Added by xlperro on 01-27-2005

Reviews: 927 | Ratings: 2,946
4.17/5  rDev -10.7%

2015 update:

Seems like a down year. Love the mouthfeel and drinkability for a IIIPA. But lacking a bit in the aroma this time.

2012 review:

4/4.5/4.5/5/5

At Belmont Station, side-by-side with Elder.

A: Copper, good clarity. Small, but persistent, head

S: Intense piney hops, forest floor earthiness, and something else a little funky in there, maybe a whisper of diaper. Except in a good way? Having a hard time describing it.

T: Huge hops flavor, but not overwhelming bitterness. A somewhat peculiar and almost artificial sweetness gives it backbone.

M: Long finish, slightly drying. Medium-low carbonation, enough to keep it quite drinkable

O: Okay, Younger you win. I take back everything I've said in the past about you not actually being as good as Elder. Maybe my tastes have changed, but I'm enjoying a bit more sweetness and malt-body in my IIPAs these days. Best beer ever, I don't know. But I sure wouldn't have minded having another.

4.57/5  rDev -2.1%

A growler filled at the Union Jack's Inn On The Manatawny. Thanks to Phatz for sharing it.

A: The ale has a vibrant golden color that nicely blends orange and yellow tones. The head has held up nicely, coming in thick and billowy on each pour.

S: The aroma is this thick with big juicy hops. Aromas include grapefruit, apricot and soapiness. The malts are big too, caramelly and big.

T: This IPA is incredible. The hops are thick and powerful from the first sip to the last, providing apricot, pineapple, grapefruit and lemon rind flavors. The malts don't shy away from the hops either. They are big and chewy, full of caramel and biscuit. The strength of the malts is enough to push this into barleywine territory (but that is another argument for another day).

M: The mouthfeel is intense from start to finish, showcasing an incredible array of hops and a big malty profile.

D: If only this beer weren't 11%... The ale is delicious with a great hop profile that refuses to let go of your tastebuds.

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

22oz bottle obtained via trade with RedwoodGeorge. Thanks for the opportunity... Brewed 1/3/2006, hand-bottled via counter-pressure system 1/19/06.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/8" off-white head over the clear light amber brew. Head fades reasonably quickly, with plentiful lacing. Aroma is a twinge of tangerine, and then christmas tree pine aroma that dominates it all. Flavor is as the nose indicates, with a fruitiness upfront that is quickly shouted down by the piney-yet-somewhat-fruity hops explosion. I can feel enamel dripping off my teeth, and it's great! Mouthfeel is amazing, that for all the hops power, it still has discernable flavors, and drinkability is superb for the style, not just another bottle of hops with a grain hull or two for color. Worth the hype. Thank goodness for "George's Unauthorized Home Bottling Project".

After 3000 miles traveled. After 4 hours waiting in line. I finally try The Younger.

A-Pours vibrant and rather clear. Thin, creamy head leaves wavy stains of lacing. I detect the lightest essence of haze in the body. Its color is a divinely illuminated shade of sunset orange. I am shocked by its clarity.

S-The wettest, ripest, juiciest and most concentrated display of hops I have ever experienced. Pine and a fist-full of grass ripped from the lawn. Then there is a cornucopia of topical fruit. Hop perfume, hop nectar, hop extract. I can smell it from a foot away.

T-The intensity and complexity of the flavors is like nothing I have ever experienced. It got better and better as it warmed. At its perfect temperature, the flavors I experienced were stunning. Peach, mango, cantaloupe, tangerine, nectarine, guava and pineapple. A liquefied sweet-dough malt embraces the hops but is absolutely overpowered. The flavors couldn't have been richer.

M-I have never had a beer with such a long aftertaste. I could literally taste it several minutes after a sip. I could taste it an hour after my final sip as well. Incredibly juicy and resinous. Like chewing on a hop. Drinks with far too much ease.

O/D-Worth the countrywide trip. Never have I experienced a beer with such a combination of power and finesse. The Jim Brown of beer. I am quite sure no beer can ever surpass this. Every beer I try after this can only hope to find a place on the same tier as Pliny The Younger...

4.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Clear orange with a thin, cream coloured head. Spotty lacing was evident from the fine bubbles, which showed excellent retention. The aroma was all hops - powdery, floral, tangerine, pine, and grapefruit, not necessarily all at the same time though. There was a lot of malt sweetness up front, but a very strong bitterness hits at the same time. Floral and citrusy hop flavour fills the midsection, with mild pine, orange and tangerine. Spicy alcohol appears towards the end and grapefruit bitterness really lingers. Full bodied served with moderately low carbonation and significant alcohol warmth and numbing. Drying hop finish with slight stickiness. This is really good, really powerful. Highly drinkable for such a big beer. Everything is just turned up on this beer - a lot. I think I prefer the Elder as a beer I could drink on a regular basis - this one seems to be fit more for special occasions. I'd be a happy dude if I could get either on a regular basis...

4.79/5  rDev +2.6%

HUGE thanks to nerd for hooking me up with this growler IP at DLD, I owe you man, been waiting a long time for this one.

Pours a crystal clear light amber/orange, nice and bright, very thick white head forms, slowly settles down to a very thick ring around the glass and thin layer, big chunks of lace stick to the glass. Smell is insanely hoppy, very complex, tons of tropical fruit, pine, grapefruit, oranges, very perfumy, alcohol, apricot and light fruits, caramel, some biscuity malt, lightly sugary, tons of citrus in this one, mango, all over the place, amazing stuff. Taste is amazing as well, tons of orange peel, almost acidic how much hoppiness there is, pine and grapefruit, caramel sweetness through the middle, big alcohol but not overdone, slight graininess near the finish, almost a jasmine sort of character in the finish, very bitter but also is sort of balanced, very complex. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, pretty thick for a DIPA, with medium carbonation. Crazy hoppy but still balanced with the malt. Wow is this a good DIPA, insanely hoppy but just the right amount of malt to balance it out. Well done, big thanks to Michael for this one!

4.95/5  rDev +6%

On tap at Belmont Station on 3.19.11 with hopburster.

10oz pour, followed by Elder and Bling Pig.

A - Beautiful bright light orange, crystal clear with a nice white fluffy head.

S - Pine, pine, pine, and then some citrus notes.

T - Smoth piney hops followed by silky citrus flavors.

D - Nicely carbonated, with no bitterness at all, zero.

O - I was afraid that the hype would let me down, but this is one of the best beers I will ever taste. I can not wait to try it again.

Seperately it would have been hard to tell the difference between Elder and Younger, but following the Younger I could detect some slight differences. I would never turn down either, ever!

On tap at Local 44 and the Memphis Taproom yesterday

Pliny pours a bright golden orange with a thick, white head with good retention. Lacing was a little patchy but the way this beer glowed was rather unique. On the nose... well, it's just like I remembered. An explosion of hops - pine, citrus, hop resin, mild fruit. Dank hops. On the palate, it is just that, a riotous explosion of hops, semtex and hops. Medium-light in body with a mild sweetness to counter the hop bitterness, this is spectacular.
The past 6 weeks seems to have taken it's toll on the mouthfeel, the hops aren't as vibrant as I remember them being. That said, it's still a perfect 5 (fresh Younger deserves a 6) and drinkability? I had 4 glasses, over a liter of this stuff, and I wanted more. Fabulous stuff.

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours an almost crystal clear golden orange color. Huge frothy white head that lingers, leaves great lacing and holds the delicious smell. The scent is a beautiful whiff of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple with vauge hints of pale malt and pine resin. I found myself smelling this beer more than i was sipping. Taste begins with the semi-acidic grapefruit, mellowing into a semi-sweet pineapple and tangerine. Bitterness comes through in the end through tastes of pine resin. In between, definite tastes of pale malt are present and provide just enough to smooth the edges between flavors. Body is medium, slightly oily and slick, but does not linger on the palate and cloud future sips. Overall, and excellent dIPA... more akin to a hoppier version of Blind Pig due to all the fruit notes. To me it appeared much less bitter than the PtE due to these tropical fruits.

4.73/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

On-tap, served in a snifter

Appears a golden orange with pretty good clarity and some tiny bubbles pushing their way through the viscous liquid. A small, yellowish cap and dots of lacing.

The aroma fills the air, and from an arm's length away, you get strong waves of apricot, papaya and mango. Outside of tropical fruit, you get fresh cut pine needles and sticky, resiny hops. There is a small trace of sweet, toasted malt. The aroma is where this beer really shines, so pleasing and inviting.

Wow, perfection. They found an even better balance than the elder while still delivering a crisp, dry, bitter hop bite. Apricots, mangoes, pineapple, and papaya with fresh cut pine and a resinous, viscous body. These hops stand tall and bright with just the right amount of bitterness to let you know this guy means business.

Resiny, viscous body but not heavy. Creamy and lush. The finish is dry and bitter. Only a touch of warming once you get 3/4ths of the way through the glass.

This was a breeze. I couldn't get it away from nose and I really had to tell myself to slow down. It is just too damn delicious.

4.65/5  rDev -0.4%

I drank this from RR growler into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a medium orange that is surprinsingly clear. The head rises about 3 fingers but falls quickly to a soapy cover. The lacing is light.

The aroma is much lighter than I had anticipated. The aroma is some hops mixed with a little pine and a bit of soap.

The taste is also pretty light, much lighter than I thought it would be. It starts off a little sweet then goes to a full bitterness throughout. When you start out its a little bitter, but as your drink it, it becomes very drinkable.

The feel is medium in body, a semi dry feel, and a very lasting flavor.

The drinkablility is very high. You can't notice the 11abv but its highly drinkablility.

Overall, this beer is really really good. Its smooth, drinkable, and a nice expenience. Its not overally hoppy which is nice. Is it the number 1 beer in the world, no? Is it the best ipa in the world, no? Is it a top 50 beer for me, yeah, its that good.

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

Not sure of the glass size but I had this at Monk's on 2/28. When I got to Monk's the line was pretty long. Looked to be about 100 people so I was shocked to get a glass at all.

A: Poured a clear copper orange with slight layer of white head.

S: IMO this is the best smelling IPA. I could smell this all day. While everyone else was taking pictures of their glass I have my nose stuck in mine! Over the top hops!!

T: Taste is pretty much what I was expecting. It tastes like it smells. Similar to The Elder but bigger and hoppier. By far my favorite tasting IPA.

M: Perfect carbonation. Very smooth.

D: I could and would drink this until I fell asleep.

One of the few beers that actually live up to its massive hype. Its bittersweet to finally try this one. One glass a year doesn't cut it though.

4.3/5  rDev -7.9%

I had this on tap at Naja's in Redondo Beach. It was presented in a tumbler, and had a pale orange color with a thin foam comprised of big bubbles. The beer was very clear which I guess I didn't expect.

The aroma is massively hoppy, and of course the flavor also. Actually I compared this with the Pliny the Elder and I prefer the Elder because it seems a little more complex, kind of more malt in the flavor it seems to me. But that's just what I took out of it.

Drinkability is pretty high, even though this is pretty alcoholic. I think the hops weren't so excessive as to kill my tastebuds.

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this courtesy of gford217 - thanks!

Pours a slightly hazy honey copper color with a thick off-white head. The head sticks around for quite a while before settling into a large-bubbled crown leaving solid lacing.

Smells great. Hops and more hops are front and center - citrus, tropical, floral, and pine hop aromas. This really is every hop aroma under the sun.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though with more of a malt backbone. The malt doesn't really have a flavor, just more of a setpoint from which to judge the huge amounts of hops. The bitterness sneaks up on you - managing to get stronger and stronger with each sip, but never so overpowering to hamper the hop flavors. The ABV is there, but it's as well hidden as any non-stout I've had with this high of a percentage.

Mouthfeel is good - good thickness with grainy carbonation make this one glide down my gullet.

Drinkability is great. I could drink not one, but multiple growlers of this - just so easy to drink.

Overall this beer did not disappoint. Everything is done exceptionally well and I hope everyone gets the chance to try this at one point or another.

I had some at the brewery and liked it so much that I tracked it down at a couple places in San Diego (Hamilton's Tavern, SD TapRoom).

A - Rich orange-gold with minimal head.

S - Strong pine but citrus comes through as well.

T - It's an elevated version of PtE. There is a stronger citrus flavor that is able to hide the higher alcohol content. The overall balance is incredible.

M - Amazing smoothness that makes it so easy to drink.

O - This is my favorite beer so I am biased when I say that this is deserving of the hype. I probably wasted way too much time tracking this in February/March, but I imagine I will be doing the same thing next year.

4.72/5  rDev +1.1%

Someone from the East Coast with an opportunity to try and review this highly sought after beer, what an opportunity. I was beginning to compare this beer to the legend of Bigfoot (Sasquatch, not the Barleywine from Sierra), some people have seen it but it's so rare that it's more of a myth than an actual beer. (tongue in cheek, of course)

Pours a copper orange color, tight bubbled carbonation with a thin white head across the top.

Has a sweet pungent, oily hop aroma with pineapple, loads of citrus orange and grapefruit, and some pine. This beer is incredibly aromatic and I spent as much time with my nose in the glass enjoying the smell as much as I did the taste.

Taste is absolutely unreal, it's definitely the King of the IPA's. I've had many IPA's where the smell was outrageously good but the taste didn't measure up, and vice versa; the Younger has both characteristics. It's very bold and strong in flavor with huge amounts of grapefruit bitterness that dominates throughout the entire sip, has some sweet malt undertone to keep things a little bit in check but gets extremely beaten down by hop bitterness. Starts sweet for a brief second with some peppery sweetness on the side of the tongue. Malts re-appear at the very end for a brief moment before being slapped into submission by an army of hop bitterness. Finishes with strong grapefruit puckering, pepper, and orange rind that lingers for a LONG time after the sip. The back of the throat is coated with peppery grapefruit bitterness, and orange coats the mouth, almost metallic-like in nature. There's an ABV burn after the sip but that's the only indication of it's presence. As I work through the glass, the booziness becomes more apparent.

Mouthfeel is the smoothest I've ever experienced with an IPA. Drinkability is very good, you have to be a hop head to enjoy this, otherwise, forget it.

I only had one glass and I was begging for more but the bartender was the Pliny Natzi - One Younger for you! This is a world class beer, wish Vinnie would brew this more often and make it more accessible. Glad I had the opportunity to finally try this beer.

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

on-tap, last drop bottle shop in seattle

appearance: 11oz pour, unbranded tulip. bright golden body, clear. so this is what salvation looks like...

smell: bright aromas - citrus zest, pine, pineapple

taste: its hard to objectively assess a beer as rare as the younger - the elder is such a great IPA, so how could the younger really be that much better? A brilliant hop profile - lots of fresh cut pine, grapefruit zest, orange, peach, pineapple, a touch of alcohol, some nice sweet malt that holds great balance. Thrilled to have a pour - not going to chase this guy around town like some, but a wonderful ipa

mouthfeel: medium body with moderate carbonation, oily hop resin

overall: yum.

4.77/5  rDev +2.1%

On tap at TJs in PA for the pouring event. After PtE, Supplication and Consecration (hour or so rest for my palate), how could my day get any better? Served in a snifter at 4PM, I was #14 on the list and showed up 15 minutes before they opened, awesome. The beer is golden-copper with a nice ring and very sticky suds. Light lacing is left and a really cool looking cloud stays in the middle of the beer for the entire experience. Smell is right up there with the best hop aromas for me. I homebrew but still don't understand how to extract hop notes like this. The hops lend citrus, tons of floral and earthy, fruity and pine to a balance of greatness. There is some malt in the background (11% ABV!) and it balances the aroma to perfection. I have rarely had a 10%+ beer with no alcohol in the aroma, impressive. The taste is also one of the best. First off, while sipping on this for probably over an hour, no alcohol ever came into play, ridiculous. The hop profile is once again very earthy and floral and also citrus and fruity. Even some herbal notes come through. A nice malt backbone helps the beer become whole. The malts are like a very good homebrew wort to me and go in nicely with the hops. Mouthfeel was moderate-heavy with great low-medium carbonation that I prefer in huge beers. A really nice warmth hits the tongue along with the perfect amount of bitterness. The creaminess in the feel was very nice. At $6.25 per glass and 11% ABV, this is probably the most dangerous beer I have come across. The drinkability is frightening. I could session this and think it was 5-6% at most, vastly impressive brew.

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a 10 ounce glasses at the brewery. From notes. Reviewed 5 February 2013. Released 1 February 2013.

A: Golden and clear, with some effervescence and very little head.

S: Resiny fresh hops (like the Elder) but with a fantastic underscent of tropical fruit (mango! papaya! pineapple! orange!).

T: Mmm. It's good, great even, but I can think of a handful of tastier DIPAs. Pliny the Younger is strong and commanding, filling the mouth. It's bitter and loaded with not only pine but grapefruit peel and orange juice. The malt base is dry and biscuity (again like the Elder). The main drawback of this otherwise delicious beer is the aftertaste -- it's bitter, yes, but with an obnoxious alcoholic tinge (almost like rubbing alcohol) or a tap line that has been poorly cleaned.

M: Full and delicious. No complaints here.

O: I really enjoyed this beer, but it is almost certainly overrated. That said, it grows on me, and after three or four glasses I feel like I *get* it. It's a perfected Pliny the Elder -- the same dry malt base, same pineyness, but wayyy more fruit (yay) and more alcohol (meh). It pairs wonderfully with pizza and spicy food, and, if you can ignore the dubious aftertaste, it's VERY good. Recommended.

4.17/5  rDev -10.7%

Update 2/24/2010-
10 oz at County Cork for $5.75 IIRC. I enjoyed three glasses, and over all had a much more favorable impression them my first sampling, and have updated my scores to reflect it. In general, I found it to be exceptionally smooth, with only mild heat on the finish when I really looked for it. I don't feel that it's particularly hoppier tasting then PtE (I assume they've reached saturation point), and is simply a bit thicker and stronger, which detracts from the drinkability and overall enjoyment to PtE, which I prefer. A bit more of that resinous dank bite, but definately dangerous. Still, I don't think this would be the frenzy inducer that it is if it was a regular release. Luckily, PtE is!

Initial review 2/21/2009
ap-4
s-4.5
t-2.5
mf-3
d-2.5

10oz. snifter at the Concordia Ale House for a whooping $8 (granted hops aren't cheap now and there are clearly a lot in this, but still...). Clear pale orange with a light sand head.

The aroma is very fragrant and bright, much more resinous then the Elder, and really smells exactly like a bag of dried hops, with a blast of alcohol.

The taste was a let down for me. This beer is too hot and boozy for my taste. The 11% is painful, and detracts from the hop flavor, which ends up falling short complexity wise (e.g. the floral notes I enjoy in PtE), with a firm bitterness and dry finish.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily, solvent like, medium bodied.

Drinkabilty is pretty low all things considering, and overall I was sorely disappointed. PtE is one of my all time favorite beers, but probably I'll never bother having this again. If you can't find this but are eager to try it, take a PtE and drop a shot of vodka in it and you'll get the idea.

4.32/5  rDev -7.5%

First, second, third, etc. many solar system-sized thanks to cloudskipper for going through the trouble of securing this growler & shipping it to the cold northern steppes. Was going to get one last year but turned out I was going on vacation after the release, so I've been waiting an entire year for this opportunity. Break out the glasses & pour that Younger!

Pours a clear, concise gold that would make the Gold Rush of '49 proud. Intense, hard-edged grapefruit is the dominant smell, with pine, citrus, all flowing out of the glass.

Pliny the Younger lives up to its rep as a serious IIPA. Yowza. The water-borne hops come mashing out of the gate at a full gallop. Again, the grapefruit of the hops is ascendant, but there's that Pine-Sol touch right behind it, & a colander full of bitter, mouth-shrinking hop character. Others include just a crumb of breadiness, malt that's a touch dankish & sweet but barely apparent, before the bitterness rushes in at the end to crush the living life out of everything else. Death to the non-hop!

Very sinewy & slippery in the mouth, tar-coated pine needles are all I can think of. Drinkable? Well, I'll have another glass & get back to you on that. But intensity of the hops, virtually unleavened by anything else, means this wouldn't be my drink of choice over a span of hours.

Well, it's tough to live up to the rep it's developed - Pliny isn't the best beer I've ever had. That said, it also obviously deserves the accolades. It's excellent, & I'm delighted I had the opportunity to try it. Thanks Chris!

4.77/5  rDev +2.1%

on tap at khyber in philly. served in tulip glass.

Pours a clear golden orange, nice fluff of white head, patches and wisps of lacing and retention while drinking.

Heavy dose of pine and citric hops, notes of tropical fruit and apricot, lighter doughy malt with soft hints of sweetness.

Starkly bitter hops up front, explosion of citrus and grapefruit, followed by sticky resin, pine, and rind. Slowly moves into softer fruit sweetness with lighter tropical notes. Caramel and dough backbone is present but rests underneath the intensely hopped flavor. Crazy amount of lingering bitterness and dryness on the tongue. Soft alcohol warmth towards the near everlasting hopped up finish.

Creamy medium body, exceptionally smooth on the tongue especially for the style, milder carbonation. Insane level of drinkability for the ABV, I left feeling like I wanted to drink about half a growler of this stuff. The hop profile and crazily balanced flavor is off the charts, and I feel like I can comfortably say that this one lives up to the hype.

4.46/5  rDev -4.5%

on tap after a 5 hour wait. Pour is a clear golden orange with a tight white head. The nose is light for the size, heaviest on citrus with notes of pine and hop resign.
The taste is much bigger, very balanced and nice. Not as sweet as I thought it would be, heavy pine and citrus, smooth creamy feel on a big body. Fairly dry with a rather assertive bitterness that lingers for quite some time. The citrus Is prominent with a strong gust of perfume coming in towards the back of the palate. Notes of grapefruit as well

On tap at the Falling Rock $7 per 1/2 pint, wow. Served in a wine glass, nice orange color, smells amazingly hoppy like Pliny the Elder. Tastes bitter, hoppy, stronger. Honestly I think the Elder is better. This didn't seem to add hoppy value, only alcohol. A delicious IPA but the elder is better as far as I'm concerned.

4.49/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Happy to finally try this whale. It was damn good, but not one I need to seek out. Perfect balance of super hoppy and nice malt backbone. Great aroma.

Edit - had a second glass which was so much better than the first. Now I understand the hype.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company