Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,299
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros

bonez05404, Mar 18, 2012

3.5/5  rDev -25.4%

StaEva, Mar 16, 2012

Soxfanmcgee, Mar 16, 2012
4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

On tap at the Jose Pistolas in Philly, poured into a pint glass.

A - Clear orange amber, with a small white head.

S - Grapefruit, orange peel, pine needle, honey.

T - Huge, flavorful tropical grapefruit character. Very complex. Earthy pine and other citrus hops in mid-palate. Finishes with a nice light malty sweetness and hop bitterness.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, not much carbonation. A little sticky with a dry finish.

O - Delicious triple IPA. Super smooth,  refreshing, and highly drinkable. The alcohol is masked well and sneaks up fast. An excellent brew worthy of high praise.

mooseo, Mar 14, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -9.4%

mdillon86, Mar 14, 2012

tdjb, Mar 14, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks to Monk's for giving me a chance to give this a try. 4-5oz pour, out of a wine glass.

A- Glowing golden yellow with a bit of amber. The beer pours with a slight whitish foamy head.

S- Just marvelous smell of bittery fresh hops. Smells of mango, lemon rind, and grapefruit are also present. Not much malt, but it is there.

T- Just a blissful blend of citrus fruit, dry fresh hops, and just enough malt to hold it all together. The flavors all just meld together so well. Strong notes of lemon, grapefruit, and pinapple.

M- Couldn't ask for much more. Great body and carbonation. Aftertaste goes on for days...

O- Overall, I'm really glad I got to try this. I had a glass of Elder right after, and it really emphasized how great this beer is. Wish I didn't have to try so hard to land a glass, but was glad to have had the chance. I actually bought a glass for a non-beer drinker, and he was blown away. We spent the next few days trying to track down beers that were similar to Younger(if there is anything even comperable)

-Gfunk

Gfunk720, Mar 13, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +5.5%

Special thanks to Paul for getting a ticket and sharing his pour.

The first time I had Elder on tap it was the first 5 I gave for appearance, it was a brilliant glowing orange. The snifter of Younger was a bit duller, still looked good, I just couldn't give it a 5.

The smell, oh the smell. Straight hops. Just like opening a bag of hops to brew with. Tons of bright citrus and pine, Lemons, grapefruit, citrus, just a touch of dank-ness. So complex, so much going on, so strong. This is really nice. From memory it seems just a bit more intense than Elder but only fractionally so.

The taste. How do they do that? All the hops from the aroma with a strong bracing bitterness and a dryness that cleanses the palate. The hop flavor is so pure, no vegetalness or any other flavor that detracts from the hops.

The mouthfeel. For me, this is what separates this beer from others. 11% and it drinks like 3%. I could sip on this all day long. No harsh characteristics or burn, just easy drinking hop juice.

Overall a phenomenal beer. Definitely better than elder but elder is so good it is hard to be much better. I was glad to take off work a bit early to enjoy this but in my opinion it is not so much better than elder that it justifies the type of crazy things people do to try it. Very grateful I got the chance to try it.

quirkzoo, Mar 13, 2012

cocoapuph, Mar 13, 2012

yuriruley, Mar 12, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +0.2%

Well... It took a few years to get it but I finally did and I'm honestly glad that I did. Not only was I able to have the Younger but I had the Elder to pair with which was perfect. This beer poured out as a really nice looking golden copper color with a thin white head on top. The lacing isn't too sticky on this which I was surprised. The smell of the beer is loaded up with tropical fruits, pine and other forms of hop aromas. There isn't much in the way of malt coming off this bad boy on the nose. The taste of this beer is big. It's much easier to taste the massive different between the Younger & Elder when having them side by side. Younger lingers on the tongue for a very extended amount of time which keeps the beer in the glass for a longer period of time (which I personally enjoy). The flavors of pine and tingling hop flavors just cut into your taste buds leaving you with cotton mouth almost immediately after the first sip. The mouthfeel of this beer is a bit heavier than the Elder. It's little bit more oily too. Overall this beer is something that I'm proud to say that I got to try finally. I'm even more glad that I compare the two with each other. I can see now why people like the Elder better than the Younger simply based on the drinkablity. The younger is something that needs to be enjoyed over a good amount of time where the Elder is more session-able even though it's not. I wouldn't decline either Pliny on any day, I enjoy both beer a lot and I look forward to the next time I get to have this beer again.

Knapp85, Mar 12, 2012

keanlacrosse, Mar 11, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +3.4%

I was in San Diego for a conference and I dragged my wife to Toronado's for valentine's day. (she doesn't really like beer). The place was packed and I noticed everyone was drinking the same thing. I saw the Pliny the Younger tap and laughed a little to my wife about it. The bartender said it was no joke, they had it unadvertised. Talk about serendipity!!!! We drank it from wine glasses. (yes, even my non beer drinking spouse liked this one!). It did not have a head. The beer is a beautifully distinctive strawberry blond color. The aroma is citrusy hops. The taste is the same. This beer is the essence of west coast hops but it is not bitter. (this is why the girls like it and other enthusiasts like the elder better). How do they get all that hop flavor without the bitterness? This is the genius if this brew. I favor stout beers so this won't be the best in the world for me, but it is damn good, and probably is the best in it's class. Drink it if you can get it!!!

tomfneph, Mar 11, 2012

b2611, Mar 11, 2012
4.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

First beer(of course) at the Blue Dog event.

A- very pretty golden brew, orange highlights and loads of bubbles. Good carbonation. Lacing all over the glass.

S- Very fruity. Mango, pineapple, pine sap, kiwi. Incredible nose. No malt in here! Aggressive hop aroma all throughout.

T- Its a toss up here between the nose. Very bitter, biting hop flavor. The fruit is orange peel, mango and some honeydo. Sticky syrup, strong pine needles. The hops blend very to me as floral and earthy in profile. No abv detected.

M- Ever so smooth and crisp. Light to medium body and high carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel, coating my teeth. The best part of the beer for me.

O- Two four oz pours didn't do this justice. Incredibly drinkable. What sets this apart from other beers I feel is it really has no flaws. Is it the best beer in the world? I'd say no, better then elder? That's a toss up. Grateful I got to try this though. Blue Dog handled this event very well.

haazer, Mar 11, 2012
4.4/5  rDev -6.2%

So Pliny The Younger... is it worth the hype? Maybe. Do I like Pliny The Elder better? Absolutely.

So why? Even though the Younger is triple hopped, the flavors and character of the Elder come through much more loud and clear. Pliny The Younger is a remarkable beer for its smoothness and crisp finish, but it lacks the unique Something that The Elder has in spades.

Does The Younger deserve the 100 rating from Beer Advocate? A reserved YES. The Younger is by far one of the best beers I have ever drank, but the score of 100 needs to be measured against The Elder which is far and away the better brew IMHO.

How do I justify the rating? If not for the high alcohol content, this would be my perfect sessionable beer bar none. No lingering taste, no overwhelming breath, ample flavor and a delightful feel from lip to throat - The Younger is truly a World Class Beer as far as I am concerned.

72hw, Mar 11, 2012