Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,841
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros

4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer tasted amazing. It had a very orange/golden tinge to the appearance and was very much hop driven. If you enjoy strong hop beers and like the taste of citrus fruits, I would highly recommend this to you. I have tasted a similar beer from Russian River - Pliny the Elder. The Elder is much more drinkable than this beer. The Younger is very alcoholic and not a beer for every day casual drinking. If you are looking for high quality Imperial IPA - try locating this beer...if you can.

3.5/5  rDev -25.2%

3.75/5  rDev -19.9%

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Weird, it appears I didn't actually review this when I had it last year. I guess I have to rectify that mistake.

There's nothing I could say that hasn't been said already, so I'll focus more on differences between this year (2013) and last year.

Last year I waited a week to go to the brewery, so I was first in line. Unfortunately, this meant I was wasted by noon - not the most fun thing. My main recollection is that PtY was the most smooth, drinkable 10+% ABV beer I'd ever had in my life. The alcohol was smooth and well integrated, providing a spicy background flavor and a bit of alcohol sweetness to balance the massive hop bomb. This is nothing like the typical SoCal double or triple ipa, which is more like an overhopped barleywine and you can't drink more than a snifter of it. It smells so great you don't want to stop sniffing it and actually drink it!

This year, Natalie claims they added more hops and it is the 'best Younger ever'. I did notice that the quoted ABV on the board was 10.8%, while I think I remember it being more like 10.5% last year. My first thought this year was the opposite of last year - there was a LOT more alcohol heat. While the 2012 PtY tasted like a smooth 7-8% DIPA, you could taste every percentage point of alcohol in this year's younger. Palate fatigue starts to set in pretty quickly, so the first taste is like manna from heaven, but the last isn't nearly as good. I recommend eating this year's younger with food, probably some pizza bites, to periodically restart your palate.

I also made the mistake of showing up on the Saturday after Younger day, and thus waited SEVEN hours in line.... Yeah. Seven. Won't be doing that again.

Don't get me wrong. PtY is still an excellent beer, and it is still more drinkable and better made than any other double or triple ipa you can get. Even this year's PtY hides its alcohol better than other DIPAs, like the Hop Henge I tried just two nights before. I'm basing my 5 score on last year's younger. I would dock this year's maybe 1/2 point on flavor for the alcohol heat and the overall increased 'roughness' of flavor.

Side note: I wish there was a way to score on drinkability of a beer, which seems like a much more important factor in the enjoyment of a beer than appearance or mouthfeel.

4.25/5  rDev -9.2%

3.75/5  rDev -19.9%

4.74/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had it out of a growler at Bierstube in Philly.

Perfect Beer.

Had 2 10 oz pours. Wow it was great.

A- beautiful amber color, hazed slightly, with minimal head.

S- Tons of hops, sweet smelling citrus, loved the aroma on this beer.

T- Very smooth, not bitter, and hints of citrus, and very hoppy. About as perfect as you can get for taste in a beer for me.

M- smooth bodied, full bodied.

O - Wow, all the hype about this beer is true. The best beer I've ever drank. I was stunned at how such a strong beer can be so smooth and tasty and loaded with hops.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company