Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,216
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
jamex

4.68/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured at Toronado, San Diego on 2/10/11. $7.

My first PtY. Had two glasses around 11:30am (I took an early lunch).

This is one of those few beers that you think about all day. Pours an amazing tangerine. Smell is amazing and the taste is incredible. Like a bolder, older brother of PtE. The mouthfeel is a bit more hearty than Elder. I could have easily had 2-3 more of these (might have ended up on the floor, but hey).

Sure this beer gets all kinds of hype, but after finally tasting it, that hype is well deserved. Well done RR, well done.

02-11-2011 18:57:30 | More by jamex
rand

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

From tap to wine glass

A: Pours a light golden-tan, clear, with almost no head. Little lacing is apparent, the ale appears too dense.

S: The nose is big, fresh, piny hops. You can smell the sweetbread malts attempting to balance, but the hops are just too big. They carry notes of orange zest, lemon and freshly cracked pepper. Alcohol is noted, but amazingly masked.

T: Fresh hops hit the palate up front, as expected, but the malt-backbone is much stronger than noticed in the nose. This beer is incredibly balanced, certainly a main reason it's so coveted. Flavors are quite singular and take some time to parse. Hops have plenty of fresh pine, but have layers of citrus notes - grapefruit, orange zest, lemon. Caramel and sweetbread flavors are perfectly flush with the hops. Subtle spicy tones round out the profile, some nutmeg, pepper, coriander. Alcohol is barely traceable, dangerous for the ABV, although a slight warming effect rolls in right at the finish. And that's it - finish is clean, aftertaste quickly vanishes.

M: Of course the beer is rich and viscous, but far from weighty or sticky. Carbonation is perfect and helps wash that short-lived aftertaste.

D: Simply one of the most drinkable beers in existence. If you didn't know what this was what it was you could throw it back to your favorite drinking game. At least for a few minutes, until you'd figure your beer is spiked.

I do wish this beer was available more often, but it's become a bit of a beer holiday. I'm sipping this at Toronado San Diego, probably the first tap in SD this year, and the place is packed on a work-day, 11:00 AM. The owner didn't even pre-announce it, just sent out a "by the way" email this morning.

02-11-2011 06:20:47 | More by rand
Sideswipe

On tap at Stone 1/10/11

PTY arrived in a 8oz glass with a one finger layer of dense white foam atop it. The head bubbled away quickly leaving a small ring around the outside of the glass. The beer is a clear golden orange color, beautiful! The nose is huge citrus and floral notes with a good dose of pine, very nice! The taste. Is. Incredible! Orange, tangerine, and grapefruit play across my tastebuds. The malt manifests itself as a sugar cookie sweetness. The most amazing characteristic of this beer is the balance it exhibits. The ABV is completly hidden. It is the perfect blend of sweet biscuity malt and citrusy, piney bitterness. In a word, exquisite! Mouthfeel is medium with an appropriate level of carbonation. It's creamy, smooth and perfect. Drinkability is over the top. No trace of the 10+ABVis noticeable at all. This beer is the pinnacle of IPA evolution. A must try for any hophead.

02-11-2011 02:01:46 | More by Sideswipe
Offa

This is truly excellent and overall essentially a stronger, slightly more intense and richer version of Pliny the Elder, with the same excellent balance of hop and malt, bitter and sweet, full body and easy drinkability.

It is deep gold or pale amber with a smallish off-white head soon thinning to a foamy ring that eventually diminishes, but leaving nice lace all the way down.

Aroma is a stronger Pliny the Elder essentially, with caramelised grapefruit and pine, some lemon and plum as well as other undefined but rich light fruity character and a raisiny character.

Taste is excellent, a full but balanced character. It has complex balance of warming fruity-raisiny character with some lightly toasted caramelised grain and plenty of spicy citrusy hops including a lightly caramelised orange and grapefruit with some green grass and leafiness. Feel is excellent, again a great balance between a full, slightly oily body and a light lively zestiness. It is not viscous, greasy or heavy and drinkability is high.

02-10-2011 23:28:44 | More by Offa
Habanero58

United Kingdom (England)

The things I will do to taste world class beers!!

Made a 11,000 mile or so round trip from London, UK to Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, CA to be there during 3 of the 14 days of PtY at Russian River. Was in the first throng on Superbowl Day so hello to anybody who also got that little emerald green wristband!! Great organistation here from the Russian River team. Anyway...

No sooner than we were seated (having quickly made friends in the queue) than the magic words "Younger"? were spoken and the beer followed shortly after.
I will have to start backwards and say the thing that astounded me most about this beer was the drinkability.
It is so smooth and creamy and the 10.25% ABV announced on the RR blackboard is just SO well hidden that you really do not realise how strong it is.

Even with my poor sense of smell the floral, fruity, piney scent of PtY blew me away as when I had first tried PtE.

I returned to RR for two more days and on my last visit sampled PtY and PtE alongside eachother as I find this helps me to really spot any differences.
That they are close siblings is no doubt but the thing that stood out for me was that I thought PtE had a much drier finish. The bitterness was certainly there but seemed more discreet in the Younger.

Anyway, mission accomplished, it was nice to meet possibly the most drinkable, the most quaffable beer of all...which it probably shouldn't be? Amazing!!

And my bottles of Supplication and Consecration survived the flight home! Thanks to everybody who made me so welcome in Santa Rosa and RR.

02-10-2011 22:19:08 | More by Habanero58
ehammond1

4.35/5  rDev -7.2%

On Tap

Toronado
San Diego, CA

Clear golden orange and tangerine with a very thin head. Leaves some lacing on the glass. A disappointing pour.

Pungent orange and grapefruit hop aromas. Alcohol is hidden in the nose. Typical West-Coat DIPA aroma, but not over-the-top or particularly spectacular. Good, but not great. I expected more. Hop Stoopid and Sculpin have better noses.

Taste is bitter hops, tangerine, and grapefruit with little to no malt character. Simple, bitter and pungent hop juice, which I believe is the point of a beer like this! Alcohol is exceptionally well-hidden. I would not believe this beer is 11% abv.

Medium mouthfeel. Similar to Elder and Blind Pig. This is the anti-Sierra Nevada Hoptimum.

A fantastically drinkable DIPA. The alcohol is marvelously well hidden. Refreshing and delicious.

A delicious and sublime DIPA, but I don't think it quite deserves its reputation (as the best beer on Earth). It's delicious, but I am convinced I can find year-round offerings (including Pliny the Elder) that are just as good if not better and are far less expensive. Drink it if/when you can find it, but no need to go crazy trying to taste it.

02-10-2011 20:48:04 | More by ehammond1
badboyrsl84

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

I manged to get my hands on this one at 11 am at a packed Toronados in San Diego.

It pours a see thru 24 karat gold with a small lacing of head around the rim of the glass

I get a hoppy floral smell with tons of citrius and malty aroma.

The taste is full of hops but not so much that its over bearing. Lots of tasty hops with very littler bitterness. Itis just as smooth as the elder with more citrius flavor. The finish is grapefruit and some hop presence minus the bitterness.

To say this beer is drinkable is dangerous at 11%. It goes down smooth and the lack of bitterness helps make this one potent brew.

02-10-2011 18:51:43 | More by badboyrsl84
BeerAmbassador

Arizona

4.72/5  rDev +0.6%

10 oz draft pour at Russian River Brewery. Almost no head by the time it got to the table, poured a hazy amber or burnt orange. Aroma was very prevalent in the beginning and I got pine, grapefruit, tropical fruit as well as some floral notes. As many others have stated this beer is like a bigger version of Pliny the Elder but somehow it achieves more balance between the malt and the hops. All of that along with a very smooth and creamy mouthfeel make this a very drinkable 11% alcohol beer.

02-10-2011 02:44:54 | More by BeerAmbassador
RBassSFHOPit2ME

I was one of the first 20 people in the joint SuperBowl Sunday and thought I might as well order a Younger while I'm here. I mean...everyone else was doing it.

I've had this beer now 5 years now in a row and it never disappoints. (Note - I did review the 2009 Younger but I was new to BA then and to reviewing beers. That review was all over the place so I'm going to leave it out of this review. If you want to compare it that bad search my profile)

A - Looks very similar to Elder, the pour was to the tip of the 10oz glass so no head to speak of but the lacing stuck all over the glass from top to bottom. Looks, crisp and beautiful for an DIPA this big.

S - Smells similar to PtE but a tiny bit muted in comparison in regards to not as pungently floral. BUT, the Tropical Fruit and hemp and earthiness coming out of this is fantastic. Smells very balanced. Can't wait to dive in.

T - I've heard Younger referred to as Elder on Steroids which I agree with and disagree with. How could it be on steroids if it's a smoother beer? BALANCE...wow. It's everything Elder is but a bit stronger malt profile to balance out the enormous amount of hops. The Tangerine forward Grapefruit that the Elder provides in citrus is replaced by Younger with Tropical Fruits and I want to say strawberries. There is less pine in Younger than Elder but the earthiness is still present. Similar bitter finish in the end but not quite as much as Elder. If I could give a 6 here I would.

M - Similar qualities to Elder but smoother and easier drinking??? This is a 5

D - In my 2009 review I gave this category a 4 but this year is the easiest drinking Younger I can ever remember having. I could session this beer, and pretty much did as I drank my 3 pours and my wife's 3 pours as well. I could have kept going but she was starting to get annoyed with me.

Final Thoughts - If you can improve upon Elder which near impossible to do, it's been done with Younger. Many similarities but this is more complex and masterfully crafted. There were more "stages" to this beer. I kept thinking to myself...when you get this this level of IPA (10% +) it really can't be crafted any better. Truly world class. Never had a better IPA or beer period.

02-10-2011 02:19:44 | More by RBassSFHOPit2ME
Wadsey

Indiana

4.33/5  rDev -7.7%

A friend received a growler in a trade last year and shared it with me. I reviewed the beer when we consumed it, but misplaced my notes. I recently discovered them when cleaning out my beergeon.

Poured into a tulip and served at approximately 50 degrees.

A: The beer has nice clarity and appears to be situated between pale and deep gold. Carbonation expresses itself in lazy bubbles slowly rising through the beer and feeding a weak ring of head.

S: Pine and vague tropical fruits. A touch of alcohol and maybe some malty sweetness.

T: The beer tastes stronger than it smells. A kiss of sweetness up front; then the vague tropical fruits reveal themselves as mango and passionfruit. These flavors yield for resin/pine and a surprisingly light bitterness.
Something is a bit off in the finish, but I can't figure out what.

M: Medium bodied and not very warming, which is suprising given the big abv. Not as coating and/or slick/oily as other DIPAs, either.

D: Given some of the other characteristics of this beer, I would bet that Russian River constructed this DIPA with drinkability in mind. The beer is unique and doesn't get in the way of being drunk.

I would love to try Pliny the Younger on tap and wouldn't be shocked if it were a bit brighter, but that is probably not in the cards.

02-09-2011 16:54:18 | More by Wadsey
brotherloco

4.97/5  rDev +6%

Hit the RR brewpub for lunch today. No lines, just a pleasantly packed pub. I loved how the sever immediately said "What can I get you to drink? Younger?". I'm sure they knew they would be right 99% of the time.

2011 release, on tap at the source. 10oz pour. 10.5% ABV this year.

With so many great reviews on this site, I'll give a fairly relativistic review. DIPA's are my favorite style of beer and Pliny The Elder is my favorite beer hands down. Nothing original there, but that's where I was coming from for my absolute first taste of The Younger.

Poured the expected bright orange, smelled of wonderful bright citrus and pine. At this point I wish the glass was bigger just to take in the sites and smells. Initial flavor is very much like The Elder, but the middle and finish are what really set this beer apart. The beer just explodes on your palate with wonderful hop flavor but never gets heavy or sticky. It shares what I think is the best quality of The Elder, there is "room" in the beer for the distinct flavor to shine. Nothing weighs it down to take away from the drinkability.

As others have said, you'd never believe the ABV on this one. There was maybe one tiny moment, out of three glasses, that I got a bit of the alcohol, but it was fleeting and faded fast.

The last thing that really cements this tasting experience, is sipping from the growler of The Elder that I brought home with me and realizing that as good as a beer it is, it takes a back seat to The Younger.

Hats off to Russian River for their new policy this year. You sure helped at least this beer lover get my chance at Pliny The Younger. Cheers!

02-09-2011 04:42:43 | More by brotherloco
SpdKilz

Drove up seven hours to Sacramento to stay at Abel's (abecall98) in Sacramento this past Friday, then drove another two hours Saturday morning to go to Santa Rosa...all so I could try this beer again on tap at the SOURCE.

Appearance - Given to me in a 10oz glass. After waiting in line for almost three hours, I was more thirsty for water than for beer to be honest. But alas, after seeing this beer, in its beautiful golden hue against the three o'clock sun...I pushed my thirst pangs aside. Slight white head that dissipates relatively fast, but leaves some nice thing lacing.

Smell - Wonderful. People were saying it smelled/tasted more "hoppy" than last year (IMO PtY is more citrus while PtE is more piney/hoppy). I don't know what they were thinking. The massive amounts of tropical aroma were prevalent even before I brought the beer to my nose. Grapefruit, orange, tropical fruits, slight pine, hops, and a malty aroma almost not noticeable due to the sweet tropical fruits.

Taste - I can honestly say, Holy Cow. This beer IS all that it is hyped up to be. Seeing as I drank more PtE oz for oz than any other beer last year, I just can't get over how different this "brother" to PtE is. Such an amazing tropical fruit/citrus quality. I had SO many of these while at the RR pub. I am so glad I went up there.

Mouthfeel - SO creamy, thicker viscosity, decent carbonation, slick, amazing.

Drinkability - If I gave this to someone, had them literally quaff down the beer, and then tell them it was over 10% they would laugh at me thinking I'm lying. This beer, this year over last, seems to me to be just insanely drinkable. Having no alcohol in my system and having this after standing in line for so long I would have expected to get some alcohol taste or warmth. No. Nothing. Utterly amazing. This is my FIRST perfect five I have given in over two years on BA. This beer deserves it hands down. Especially seeing as the most well versed style I know is IPA/DIPA, this beer just outdoes EVERYTHING. I am SO glad I drove up from LA for this. Amazing on tap.

02-09-2011 03:51:56 | More by SpdKilz
benclimbs

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

The most coveted beer on earth - finally after all these years!!!!
Had on tap at Russian River Brewery at 11:15 AM - had to get there early before the goods were tapped out! It was well worth the wait! Unsurprisingly, this is a pretty amazing IPA

LOOK - Pours blonde and surprisingly clear with tons of lacing and no head - looks identical to the elder.

SMELL - Simply Amazing. Perfect pure balanced hop character. Strawberries, pine, grapefruit, orange peel, and earth - no detectable alcohol. The nose on this is by far the best of any IPA i've ever had.

TASTE - Equally amazing, extremely geared. Starts out fruity, then moves on to licorice, spice and herbal notes and finishes with a sweet but creamy warm alcohol body and a super hoptastic, ultra bitter, dry delicious finish. WOW!

FEEL - Good mouthfeel, a bit on the slick, warm side but not overwhelming...the only quality of the beer that isn't stellar.

DRINK - Fantastic drinkability for such a huge brew.

This is an absolutely perfect West Coast IPA - The most telling thing is taking a sip of this and then a sip of Pliny the Elder...It tastes like a lager after this baby! So rich, complex, geared and amazing...one of the best beers i've ever had, and likely the best of the style.
THANK YOU RUSSIAN RIVER!!!

02-09-2011 00:50:44 | More by benclimbs
bauers

4.85/5  rDev +3.4%

A long line forms along 4th Street in Santa Rosa every year about this time. The reason? The annual extremely limited release of Pliny the Younger!

Once again, a triumph for Vinnie Cilurzo! Only available on tap (no Growlers this year), at Russian River Brewing Company they are only serving it in 10-oz pours. Which, given the 11% alcohol, is definitely a prudent approach!

The pours I had were filled to the rim of the glass, leaving only a tiny amount of head to top the rich amber colored elixir. As soon as I raised the glass towards my lips I was assaulted by the hop aroma - pine, citrus, a bit of grass - wonderful! The taste was even better - sweet maltiness perfectly balancing the huge amount of hops. I didn't see a
breakdown of the hops used this year, but it definitely seemed like Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe were part of the mix. Probably some Chinook too - as Vinnie once put it on one of The Bistro's Double IPA festival's listing of beers and what hops were components... "gobs" of them are used! :-)

Russian River is allocating the Younger a few kegs at a time at their pub this year - it should be available for another 12 days if they have figured their schedule correctly. It will also be available at select establishments in California and the West. If you see it, grab it - I've tasted a lot of fine Double/Imperial IPAs in my time, but none of them surpass Pliny the Younger!

[Note: Unless you can get in line early enough to get seated when the doors open, you'll probably be better off waiting a few hours. I was in line on Saturday (2nd day of release) at 11:45 and got to a table around 2:30 - you can sit as long as you like once seated, so tables from the initial rush were slow to turn over.

Was it worth it? Let's say I'd do it again, but probably show up a few hours later so the initial turnover had happened.

Or else show up on Superbowl Sunday. I swung by the pub around 4:30 Sunday afternoon and was able to walk right in, get a couple of Younger's, and grab a table without a problem. Worth keeping in mind for next year.]

02-08-2011 07:26:31 | More by bauers
hopmonkey

I was there at the 2011 debut. Simply an outstanding, world-class beer. Floral, pungent hops without the bitterness that so many have unfortunately associated with "good" IPA. Well-balanced and obviously carefully crafted, this is a distinctly American beer. And one to be proud of. Well done Russian River. Oh, and watch out because that 10%+ ABV will sneak up on you...

Finally, the Russian River staff and patrons couldn't have been friendlier or more welcoming. Rock on.

02-07-2011 19:15:44 | More by hopmonkey
scottfrie

4.99/5  rDev +6.4%

Consumed on tap at the brewery on release day 2/4/2011.

This glowing honey-amber liquid was served in a 10oz nonic glass. I wouldn't expect much of a head on a pour like this but what thin collar is there left great sheets of lacing down the glass. The smell is just the most wonderful bouquet of sweet floral, fruity and piney hops. This goes for the flavor as well. Overall the hops are full of fruit nectar, honey, and a touch of grapefruit and pine bitterness. Elder is a little bit more potent in the nose, with a bigger blast of grass, pine, and marijuana, but Younger is more fruity, sweet and nectary. The bitterness for this beer is also so well integrated, and it doesn't overwhelm or fatigue the palate at all.

The mouthfeel is everything I want in a beer. This is crazy smooth! There is NO trace of alcohol, and this is a 10.5% beer. Nor is this beer heavy, syrupy or thick. At all. The carbonation is just perfect, and one could quite literally drink this all day. By far this is the best mouthfeel on a beer I've ever had. Basically, this is one of the world's most easy-to-drink beers, and definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. Well well well worth the hype!

EDIT: Consuming this beer during the weeks of the 2012 release solidified this beer as my favorite of all time. There are many other amazing beer in this style and others, but this beer is the best. I love you Vinnie, I love you Russian River!

02-06-2011 21:53:25 | More by scottfrie
Estocker

4.47/5  rDev -4.7%

I could smell this baby before I even had a chance to step into the brewpub. Aroma of pine and citrus waft out from the door. The aroma is enticing and I had to smell it for 2 hours while I waited to get in!

Finally got a chance to try this bad-boy, and it is exactly what I expected. It's Elder on steroids, yet just as smooth. Smell is slightly muted in comparison, I believe. Still a nice burst of pine emanating from the glass and into my noseholes. Although the ABV is hard to taste, I can feel it creeping up on me as I finish the glass.

Tastes like a maltier, thicker Elder. It's more balanced, and doesn't have quite the same dry mouthfeel.

Although this is a great beer I feel that I don't need to have it more than once. Then again, I'm not much of a fan of big ABV beers. I'll have a Gaffers bitter instead, thank you.

02-06-2011 13:07:24 | More by Estocker
nataku00

4.78/5  rDev +1.9%

Went to Russian River's brew pub on the second day of release in 2011.

On tap poured into a 10 oz nonic glass. Clear orange color that glows even in dim light of the pub. The bartenders were pouring to the brim of the cup, leaving only some soapy surface head, but straight out of the tap, the beer pours with about a finger's worth of head. Decent lacing despite the small amount of head as you drink from it. Little to no carbonation visible through the glass, other than some bubbles forced from swirling through the glass. The way the Younger glows is impressive though.

I was feeling a bit congested, but the aroma coming from the glass after it was brought to our table was impressive. Grapefruit, pineapple sweetness with citrus peel, and wet pine aroma powered through my stuffy nose. Excellent balance of sweet and bitter hops.

Taking a sip, it follows the nose, sweet grapefruit, pineapple, and peach, bitter citrus peel and pine. A little bit of biscuit sweetness mid tongue and finishes very dry with a long lingering citrus and floral hops on the tongue and back of the throat. Medium bodied with a good amount of small bubble gentle carbonation prevents any type of syrupy mouthfeel that may occur with an 11% abv beer. Alcohol is non existent and I was able to drink three 10 oz pours in about 1.5 hours without even thinking about it. In this case, the hype was worthwhile.

02-06-2011 00:34:42 | More by nataku00
paylay32

Louisiana

4.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Pliny the Younger is the beer to get on tap. As an IPA drinker I am always skeptical of an IPA that gets a lot of lip and press; however, this is one of the best beers I have ever tasted. As a fan of Dreadnaught from Three Floyds, to Sculpin from Ballast Point, the Younger is a truly notable beer. Color is lacking only in the sense that I appreciate a more copper-colored IPA. You cannot beat the smell. It is a scent of heaven, both floral and fruity, and with the taste you get a hint of pine. The hops are indescribably fresh, crisp, and dry. In the event you have the luxury of making it to the Russian River Brewery for this annual beer unveiling, get there early and enjoy the ten ounce pours.

02-05-2011 17:13:50 | More by paylay32
Swimsum

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev -7.7%

Growler shared by Grabbin2nd (thanks RJ) on 2/9/10

Poured out a nice and clear amber color. A white head emerges made up of tiny bubbles. A ring around the glass is left once the head settles. Swirling brings the head back for a bit but settles back to ring. This looked a lot like the Elder to me. No lacing down the glass.

A lot of citrus with resinous pine backing that up. A lot more citrus than found in Elder. Citrus is mostly grapefruit but some other tropic fruits possibly there. I love the smell on this and it is very strong. There are some floral hops and a bit of alcohol but not enough to replace the citrus.

Taste is the same as the smell. Tons of citrus and hops coming through. For me it has all the aspects of the Elder with the addition of a lot of citrus. There is a bit of an alcohol bite toward the end of the swallow but this taste amazing and is what I was hoping it would be.

Not a lot of carbonation here (perhaps some loss from the growler?) but it isn't as thick as some other Imperial IPAs that I've had. I like that it's not super thick however. As mentioned in the taste, there is a bit of an alcohol bite but overall this went down very smoothly.

This was a great experience and I'm very thankful for getting to try it. I would love to go get this on tap at Russian River when it is released but hopefully I'll be able to get to try this somewhere down south for 2011.

01-04-2011 19:39:49 | More by Swimsum
wknight167

Apearance - Hazy golden copper with a 2 finger white head with medium retention and awesome lacing.

Nose- Candied grapefruit and pine. Floral and spicy. Strong aroma, but not off putting, in fact, quite the opposite.

Palate- Strong enough malt back bone to support the amount of hops. Sweet start, hop flavor middle, balanced finish.

Mouthfeel- Very light for its ABV and well carbonated. Crisp.

Drinkability- I, like so many others, could drink this all day.

Overall- Well worth the trip. I will be back next year.

01-03-2011 05:02:10 | More by wknight167
KAP1356

4.68/5  rDev -0.2%

Somehow this review from notes slipped through the cracks. Had on draft at the Spring House Drafting Room HopFest in April of 2009. Poured into two different 5 oz. tasting glasses (guess they couldn't just do one glass)...

A - Pours a nice slightly hazy golden color with a nice little eggshell white head that sticks around fr a bit and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S - THE BEST aroma I have ever experienced with an Double IPA. Just an incredible wave of fruity, grassy, floral hops which really blow you away. There is some slight sweetness from the malt background.

T - Just a big hit of fresh, fresh, fresh pine and citrus hops. Very nice malt backbone with all the hop intensity going on. Extremely well balanced and I just cannot get over how fresh everything tastes.

M - Very refreshing and crisp. Bitter, but the tyoe of bitterness you want in this beer. Medium bodied and slightly chewy.

D - I really think the perfect Double IPA would have the aroma of Younger with the taste of Elder. Just another amaxing IPA from RR and one that I am extremely happy I got to try. Could easiily drink this all day no matter how much my tastebuds get assaulted. So incredibly drinkable even fr being 11% ABV.

12-02-2010 16:24:59 | More by KAP1356
br3wmeister

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev -17.3%

A- Pours a light hazed golden orange in color with a soft silky white head. The head retention was okay and it had minimal lacing.

S-Some nice fruit and floral hop aroma. Then some nice caramel and vanilla, a touch of pine hops as well. A little hint of copper metallic aromas as well.

T- Soft citrus fruit and sweet caramel initially then some great pine flavors come through. More fruity orange flavors come through the pine with hints of caramel and vanilla, then another burst of dry pine bitterness. The beer finishes sweet and juicy with some lingering dry metallic flavors.

M- Light bodied with a great refreshing juiciness to it. Hops cut through with some nice dry bitterness and balances things out.

Overall I would say this beer is way over hyped. Give me the Elder!

11-14-2010 05:05:02 | More by br3wmeister
JAXSON

4.53/5  rDev -3.4%

Enjoyed this op tap at Flanigan's Boathouse in Summer 2006, just rating it now for some reason. Maybe I'm just sobering up from that strange mid-afternoon event, held on Monday of all days. Fresh bursts of pine cones and grapefruits on the nose, with a lingering sweetness. Orange body, slightly darker than its elder kindred. Just such a wonderful flavor, an explosion of the aforementioned, more candi sugar than the Elder, swirling lighter fruits mingle into an extraordinarily balanced, large, and impressive IIPA. Not the grapefruit peel wonders of Dreadnaught, but an exceptionally balanced utter assault here.

10-31-2010 18:48:56 | More by JAXSON
oregone

Oregon

4.55/5  rDev -3%

From (brief) notes:
Beautiful copper color with light head receding to solid and persistant lacing.

Smells of citrus and pine. Strong aroma taht you certainly don't have to stick your face into, but want to. Complex.

Tastes like hops up front. Citrus, pine, very resinous and then the backbone kicks in and lays the foundation for a looong and deliciously balanced finish.

Mouthfeel is superb. Lightly sticky, but not detractingly so. Fills the mouth with a silky layer of flavor that stays.

Kills it on drinkability. As drinkable as any regular ipa I've had. Just stupid easy. This really is the magic here. Such a big strong beer and flavor experience but I could drink this waaaay too quickly and easily.
Excellent.