1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,316
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally caught up with pliny the elder's nephew

A: poured a glowing golden orange in color with yellow highlights and had a nice tight finger of head with good retention but left plenty of frothy lacing sticking to the glass.

S: upfront had an incredible hoppy aroma kinda like smelling fresh hops alongside grassy, nice piney, orange citrusy notes and some good sweetness I believe are from the malts but not a very noticeable amount of booze.

T: it definitely had a hop profile second to none which was very clean crispy but with a nice hop punch. It had piney, grassy, candi sugar accents but had citrus grapefruit flavor that helped out the bitterness. Super well balance with just a prefect amount of sweetness coming through to control the hoppy blast.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a perfect amount of carbonation which had a citrusy, sweet, grassy, piney, hoppy blast, and bitter finish that lingered on the palate; very well balanced

D: very very drinkable with the ABV truly hidden really well in the hop heaven and what has to be one of the best TIPA on the planet. Another west coast hop bomb which is definitely a treat if you can catch up with him.

Gobzilla, Feb 24, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +6%

At first I was concerned this beer would not live up to the hype. It did.

A: Straw colored, clear with thin white head

S: mild, citrusy

T: hoppy, not overly bitter

M: nice, crisp, fine carbonation

D: very drinkable. The alcohol hides so nicely within the beer, I didn't notice it until I stood up.

Gargamel92886, Feb 22, 2011

Tasted the beer at the bar. I had to wait in line for about one hour and a half. I then just proceeded to drink two 10 oz younger glasses in almost no time at all. It is really exceptional how easy drinking the beer is for its size.
I later ordered an Elder and a Younger to compare then side by side.

Appearance is fantastic. A hazy orangey color, just a tad more copper than the characteristic yellow of pliny the elder. Under some lights they seemed almost the same color, but when held up, you can clearly see that Younger is a bit more orange. Very nice. It is a little hazy, but I guess it goes with the style and the amount of hops. Not a very large head but it really doesn't matter, the beer was very nicely carbonated.

Smell is wonderful. Piney, citrus hops. I swear this has got to be the best smelling beer ever. Perhaps I like the smell of the Elder just a tad better, just because it is a bit dryer. Nonetheless a LOT of hops and a delicious smell.

Taste is just fantastic. It is impressive how the Younger can make the Elder seem not as good. It really has a nicer, maybe a little more balanced taste. Not as dry, and just as much hop flavor.

Everything was amazing about the beer. The only bad thing is they only make it once a year and I had to travel FAR to get it.

Drinkability is excellent. I would have had more, but did not want to get home without a brain.

The best beer I've had hands down. Really hard to express how this one makes the Elder seem like a normal beer. Although we all know the Elder is also great. I hate to give out a perfect score, but this one just plain deserves it.

luisfrancisco, Feb 22, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +2.3%

269th review on BA
Draft to 12 oz pint

Thanks to Barley & Hops for a great day yesterday!!

App- Was a very traditional IPA color. That medium orangy/yellow color with a very thin 1/2 in head to it.

Smell- Was a bit bigger in terms of of the piney, resiny and hop forward smells I was looking for. Good smelling beer.

Taste- To me this was better than PtE. It was more of a subdued piney, resin taste with a cripsness and bit creamy.

Mouth- A very pleasant medium body with a medium carb level. Left a great hop/piney aftertaste.

Drink- I could drink it all day. Too bad so many people were in line. Better than PtE as I said and I loved it.

FosterJM, Feb 20, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -8.3%

On tap at Falling Rock.

App- Straw colored with a slight bit of white head. Dissipates fairly quickly. White lacing left behind.

Sm- Fruity, resinous, pine. Pineapple. Some malt sweetness lurking back there. Amazing.

Ta- Resinous hops, some hop bitterness but the malty sweetness really shines though. Great balance. Very minimal heat.

Dr- Amazing considering the copious amount of ingredients that go into this beer. Everything is well balanced and alcohol is hidden exceptionally well.

Overall- I would choose this over elder. however, its not so much of a difference that i would go to the ends of the earth to get it. Excellent beer though.

gueuzer, Feb 20, 2011

I was luck enough to have this 2 days in a row, 2 10z pours at RR and 2 more the next day at a tapping at Bobby G's in Berkeley. All 4 were equally amazing, though nothing will ever match the first couple sips I had at RR. Rarely does a beer live up to the hype, but this one surpassed it for me.

Poured a golden yellow with a thin head that disappeared very quickly.

The aroma was great, but not amazingly strong. You could really tell that this beer was all hops.

The taste was literally mind-blowing. It's like a hop explosion in your mouth. And all hops, but it a really balanced way, if that makes sense. LIke all of the characteristics of hops you can have in a beer (grapefruit, pine, floral, tropical, bitter) that were all balanced perfectly harmoniously on the tongue and permeating every corner of my mouth. You can't even taste the alcohol.

It has a very light mouthfeel for what I would've expected, and that, plus the extremely great taste, contributes to the danger of this beer because I could easily drink 3 before I even felt drunk. In fact, I could literally drink these all night, or as long until I passed out! In fact, on my 2nd day of Younger, I was drinking with an inexperienced beer buddy, and he enjoyed it so much, he's the one who asked for a 2nd round, not really comprehending the effect of 10.25-11%. He was definitely feeling it by the time we made our way around the corner to Triple Rock.

Overall, I would have to say it surpassed all my expectations, and I will definitely be putting Younger day on my calendar every year for as long as we are blessed with this beer.

AbyssJunkie13, Feb 20, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +4.1%

Had this on-tap at Bobby G's Pizzeria before the rush started, major props to the crew there for managing the craziness with calm and a genial attitude.

Pours an effervescent light amber with heavenly white head that laces well. Translucent and a bit cloudy, but bubbles keep rising to the surface, and it gets clearer after a minute or two. Head is pure white, like cloud white, and is a beauty to look at while it lasts.

Nose is of tons of citrus and malt both, with sticky candy cane sugary character and grapefruit rind all over. Citrus is a blend of mostly sour fruit like lemon, orange, and grapefruit, and although there isn't too much tropical fruit, a bit of pineapple may have reared its head at some point. Aroma was not as strong or diverse as I would have expected, but it was well balanced, and pleasant overall.

Taste is ridiculous stickiness, with caramel and brown sugar, tons of hop bitterness and citrus all balanced to perfection. Grapefruit, orange and lemon are well represented, but there was surprisingly not much tropical character, maybe a bit of mango if anything. Malt kept everything under control the whole time, as the bitterness threatened to get wild, but never really did. Really one of the best tasting and balanced beers I've ever had, as I've never had something that was so incredibly flavorful yet so balanced.

Mouthfeel was flawless, as it was smooth and clean, while being full bodied and basically nectar-like the whole way through. Drinkability was even MORE perfect, as I had NO IDEA the abv was 11% until I saw it on this website a minute ago. There is no beer that hides it better than this, and the tempered bitter finish is so well done that you could drink this for hours without any problem.

This beer is not so much a souped up version of Pliny the Elder as it is a different beer altogether. Both are really incredible beers, and both are equals in my eyes. Russian River gets it right every time.

madvermin, Feb 19, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Happened to wander into the Father's Office in Santa Monica, and this was on tap. Score! Had three pours at the bar.

Appearance: A brief white head fades to nothing quickly. Deep golden, almost bronze in color. Appears to be fairly syrupy. Very good clarity.

Smell is good, though not as good as I remember it from the past two years. Big fruity hops, underlying honey-like sweetness. Tons of citrus and tropical fruits. Something isn't quite right, though... there's a hint of something that shouldn't be there. I can't put my finger on it. It's no biggie.

Taste is very good. Punch to the face with all sorts of hoppy goodness. It's slightly sweet, but nowhere near as sweet as you might expect given the strength of the brew. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is pretty great. Full-bodied, with medium carbonation. Long bitter finish.

Drinkability is through the roof with this one. I don't know that I can think of another 11% abv brew that is easier to put down. If I wasn't driving I would have had 1-2 more. Superb.

I think last years' version was better. That said, this is still a world-class brew. Kudos to Russian River. I'd sure like to see this around more often...

davod23, Feb 17, 2011

There is no doubt in my mind. For all the talk and trendy tales about this beer, now I understand this to be one of the greatest IIPA ever crafted.
Life's mysterious abundance, got me in the doors of Father Office in Santa Monica right before the mob, and a long quest was finally ended few feet from the bar counter(for an other year:).
Very much a replica of the Elder in the aroma profiles, the color takes a darker copper orange red tones here. Clear and crisp appearance with a impeccable inch head that is the gift that keeps on giving. Releasing complex Citrus,pineapple,caramel pine essence into your nose, just to prepare you to what I will call "A religious experience" has your lips come in contact with the tulip.
Smooth yet extremely strong mouth feel at the same time. A balance that would make any scale blush. Full body,Average carbonation, inviting hop bit up front but magically metamorphose on your taste buds to open up a vast field of complex hop flavors.
Definitely more intensity than with the Elder, and great sweet caramel silky consistency that lace down the glass as you watch your new lover disappear sip after sip. I had four in one hour. Just that good and I couldn't resist. Watch out though. 11% is a quick reminder that this one is a triple IIPA.
Enjoy

HipHop5, Feb 17, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap tonight at Father's Office in Santa Monica. Enjoyed a relaxing 3 10oz pours with no lines, hassles, or assholes.

Pours an orange haze with a thin white head which fades rapidly. Falling face first into a vat of fresh hops and jammed into your nose. Grapefruit, citrus dominates. Hops and more hops, followed by waves of more hops. Ending in a crescendo of... hops. So well balanced, smooth, perfectly bitter and singular like a clarion call. Still hiccuping frothy hops as I type. The ABV is well hidden until it creeps up on you. Wham! Bam!! Hype or no hype, this is an amazing triple IPA. Well done. I'll be counting the days till February 2012.

wethorseblanket, Feb 17, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +5.5%

I enjoyed this fine brew on tap at the Blind Lady Ale House in Normal Heights at the 5 o'clock release. Taped out in an hour and I was lucky enough to have 2. One in a 10 oz (.25 L) flute and the other in a 10 oz snifter. The first was paired with .4L of Elder.

Magnificent aroma and was so incredible it put PTE to shame.

Aroma was extremely citrusy and reeked (in a good way) of simco.

The mouth was very sweet and delicious. A mouthful of pine trees.

It was worth the wait and can't wait for next year.

joebrewinesq, Feb 16, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap at Blind Lady Ale House during their Younger vs. Elder event. Poured into a brandy snifter style glass.

A - Just slight darker than the Elder (though could have been since it was a thicker glass). Large 3 finger head was egg shell white and considerably thicker than the Elder.

S - Came thru very citrusy with just a hint of hoppy sweetness. Slightly acidic burn from the high alcohol mingling with so much hops.

T - What can be said that hasn't before? This is a wonderful beer with plenty of hoppy kick coming thru a rather thin grain bill - especially considering the alcohol this is a real feat.

M - Very well balanced with a nice creamy mouthfeel that you don't often find with any IIPA. Fades a little thinner on the back of the tongue.

D - Crazy good beer, maybe not one that you'd drink every day but there is a reason why I waited 40 mins to get at this. Why they don't make this more often is beyond me - clearly this is a world class beer and I wish RR were filthy rich cause of it.

Dijeriduster, Feb 16, 2011

on tap at Toronado SD

A: a beautiful light copper orange color.

S: lots and lots of grapefruit hops hit the nose.

T: the hops are what I taste from beginning to end. Lots of pine and grapefruit overwhelm my mouth. So much hops aftertaste. Minutes of it. I should just wait to see how long the hop aftertaste lasts.

M: amazing carbonation reallly masks the thickness of this beer. Contributes to it's amazing drinkability.

D: the 11% is sooo well hidden. I have to slow myself dwn from drinking this one like I would a single IPA. This beer is from a different planet. A planet I want to live on all the time.

gregshead, Feb 16, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

Not sure how I've forgotten to review this in the past... but no time like the present!
Just hit up the brewery for the two-week stretch of PTY for 2011

Appearance- Hazy, golden with a white head that dissipates quickly. Some light lacing. Medium liveliness.

Smell- Like that of the kindest bud. Or, so they tell me. Sweet, hoppy, slightly woody.

Taste- Excellent complexity. Starts hoppy immediately, then sweetens, followed by a punch of alcohol heat. Then, it moves back to hops and malt, ending with a huge and extended resin hang.

Mouf- perfect. Easy. Medium bodied. Slightly seltzery.

Drinkability. Heck yes.

1759Girl, Feb 15, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +4.1%

2011 Release on release day at RR. This is a transcript of my notes.

My first experience with this beer was last year, and i wasnt reviewing beers at the time. That was the beer that set off this rediculously consuming hobby of mine. This year didnt dissapoint either.

A - Poured from tap into a 10oz imperial looking pint glass. The beer came to my table minutes after the doors were opened on the release day and looked like it glowed. It was as fresh as one could possibly get it. It was a bright, clear glowing orange with a small 1/4 inch head. With such small pours i was thankful for the first time that the head was minimal.

S - The Smell was incredibly fresh, and mostly smelled of wonderful bright citrus and pine.

T - Its hard not to think of a fresher better elder with this beer. The middle and finish are what really differed this beer for me. The beer was explosive with hop flavor but was so balanced and never heavy or sticky.

M - The ABV is so well masked in this beer. I never smelled or tasted any alcohol burn. The beer is medium bodied and has great carbonation.

D - Considering i had 4 of these in one sitting, i can say this is VERY drinkable. I paced myself rather maturely and walked out of the brew pub with wife and kid and felt great.

Great Job Russian River for implementing their new policy this year.

dubinsky, Feb 15, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +5.1%

I finally/actually made it up to the brewery to try out this wonderful offering from the people at Russian River. Served in a 10-oz glass. Moderately carbonated.

A: Brilliant golden honey colored with little head, but topped with lace that clung to the sides of my glass throughout enjoyment.

N: Resinous pine, citrus flowers and grapefruit zest and skunky marijuana.

T/M: Taste follows the nose perfectly, with a sharp kick from the warming alcohol that almost comes off as additional bitterness. The beer goes down so easily, despite the heavy alcohol. It is sweet with the citrus flavors, but almost well balanced. The body is oily but not really as chewy as expected given the hop levels.

Overall, this beer is maybe "not worth the hype"....But with that said, I can easily say this was one of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. The flavors are so crisp and clean and, for a hop-head, this is a dream in a glass. I wish this were available year round! ...but people really do freak out about this rather than simply geeking out. It compares nicely to the Elder version, just a bit more alcohol--same flavor profile with a bit heavier body and mouthfeel. DELICIOUS!

peacebone116, Feb 14, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Toronado SF.

A- Pours rusty orange with 1/4 inch of brilliant white head.

S-Piney, resinous hops, grapefruit, weed.

T/M-You'd never peg it for 11%ABV. If you're familiar with the Elder, the Younger is Elder times two. A beer whose hop profile shifts from piney to earthy to tasting like a mouthful of sticky weed, to tangerines and mouth watering bitterness, all held together by vibrant, chewy carbonation.

D-Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome beer. But it's not worth the hype. The way people trip over themselves trying to get their little 4oz sample doesn't add up. Yeah, it's a really good DIPA, but there are plenty of really good DIPAs, and most of them are available for more than 2 weeks a year.

DaveHS, Feb 14, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +5.5%

The annual arrival of what many hopheads consider to be the pinnacle of IPA perfection has become more than a mere release, it's an event. Running dry within the first day of tapping the kegs last year taught the good folks at Russian River a few things. This year they switched things up, releasing a limited amount of kegs per day, and not filling growlers for anyone. As they announced on their website: The only way to get it to go is in your tummy! Works for me.

In the dead middle of the week, an hour-and-a-half before quitting time, the brewery was full but not insane. The uninitiate who might have wandered in off the street still might wonder what was going on. Is there a major sporting event I forgot about? The most cursory look around the brewery would shut that line of thinking down pretty quickly though; the only televisions--of which there are two, each no bigger than a desktop monitor--are hung high and out of the way. This is no sports bar; this is a temple of beer.

The young, hipster staff seemed to get a perverse kick out of asking the humble supplicant, once seated, what he wanted to drink. It couldn't be that easy, could it? All I have to say is, "Pliny the Younger," and they'll bring it in a perfectly chilled 10 oz glass? Visions of the Seinfeld Soup Nazi flashed through my parched, hop-starved brain. "No Younger for you!" the server shouted in my imagination. "One year!" Luckily, it was only my paranoia working overtime, and soon the beer was down the pike.

The big board behind the bar lists the Younger at a healthy 10.25% ABV and under Bittering Units it only reads, "Gobs." The brew doesn't disappoint. It pours light orange with just a scrim of head and no lacing. The nose this little bomb throws, however, is heavenly: orange peel, the requisite pine forest, and a more than a hint of killer green bud.

The truly amazing thing about this Triple IPA, is how balanced it is. To me, Pliny the Elder, Russian River's Double IPA, is more aggressively hop forward--not to say the Younger isn't crazy hoppy (as the website reads: Younger is hopped three times more than our standard IPA, and is dry hopped four different times), its just that its sweet malt backbone carries a lot of weight.

As the sun falls behind the storefronts on 4th St. and working folks are released on their own recognizance for another day, a line begins to form outside on the sidewalk. Soon a bouncer takes position at the back door so that no one bum rushes the bar, and after a few of the most perfectly balanced beers I've ever had, it's time for me to head on and give someone else a chance.

monkeylovebeer, Feb 13, 2011

First brew rated, figured it should be 'the One'.

All I can type is 'incredible' and 'epiphany'. It was when I drank Adam from HotD for the first time. Wow!

It ranks as one of the best beers ever sampled. Drank 3 between sour sample.

Beer Nirvana! I can hear Angels!

Hawkfish, Feb 13, 2011

Body is a clear gold poured from draft to about a half-inch head. White foam dissipates pretty quickly to a cap and ring. Leaves trace lacing on the glass, which is motile and does not stick.

Aroma of light malt, floral and fruity hops--green grass and grapefruit, pine. Somewhat resiny. Hops are present across the palate, and begins with sweet malt and caramel. Mid-palate and in the finish, there is a pleasant hop burn on the tongue.

Body is medium with pleasing carbonation, producing a very creamy mouthfeel.

This is a great tasting, pleasant drinking ale. ABV at 11% is well masked by the big flavor. Excellent beer, but should be consumed responsibly.

Beerenauslese, Feb 13, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -15.1%

2011 Pliny the Younger: Pale yellow, medium body and carbonation. Smells like pine and grapefruit. Your taste buds are totally shot after tasting this. Intense earthy hop flavors: marijuana-like and resinous. Probably lots of Columbus hops. Not as citrusy as 2010, but the same de-emphasis of hop bitterness and emphasis on hop flavor. Less bitter than Pliny the Elder. And again, the alcohol is masked by the intense hop flavors. Pretty tasty beer -- hard to explain the hype (especially when you think about all the other delicious double IPAs out there), but one of the best.

drummstikk, Feb 12, 2011

On tap at RRBC on Tuesday the 8th and again on Friday the 11th.
Trying very hard not to get caught up in the hype but couldn't help it.
This is one amazing beer. The perfect balance between flowery smoothness and hoppy essence you want from a DIPA.
It just tastes sooo good!
Thanks for the memories RRBC! My new gold standard to measure all others.

NWer, Feb 12, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Uber last year in Seattle...the keg blew in 12 minutes!

Pour: A dark, viscous looking orange color with tiny white bubbles coating the top layer of this beer.

Nose: Sharp piney notes with a hint of citrus hops (pineapple, tangerine, and orange rhind), sweet malts (caramel and slight toffee), notes of alcohol and more hops.

Taste: This changes as it warms but starts with piney hop notes (like PtE), transitions into citrus notes and finishes with a delectably sweet, caramel and toffee based malt and more hints of piney hops. This beer is fantastic, simple and perfectly composed.

Mouthfeel: Thick but not overly viscous, slightly oily but not overwhelming.

Overall: Glad I could have this but won't fly to CA for it. Glad we get it in Seattle :) Cheers to you RR!!!

waltersrj, Feb 12, 2011

Had on tap at Toronados

A: A beautiful clear golden color with a nice foamy head that quickly drops to a few off white bubbles on top of the beer.

S: Unbelievable. Smells a lot like the other Pliny, but with a little bit of a tropical flare. Lots of piney hops, some mango, apricot and a lot of pineapple. As the beer warms, an earthy smell appears and some bitter hop resins.

T: I was expecting this to just be a bigger version of PTE, but as other have said, it doesn't taste "bigger," just better. The balance in this beer is uncanny. Citrus hops and grapefruit hit the palette first along with a sharp peppery bite and then it gets mellowed by the malts and finishes pretty crisply. It takes all of the rough edges that PTE has and polishes them into a masterpiece. One of the best beers I've ever had.

notchucknorris, Feb 11, 2011
4.68/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured at Toronado, San Diego on 2/10/11. $7.

My first PtY. Had two glasses around 11:30am (I took an early lunch).

This is one of those few beers that you think about all day. Pours an amazing tangerine. Smell is amazing and the taste is incredible. Like a bolder, older brother of PtE. The mouthfeel is a bit more hearty than Elder. I could have easily had 2-3 more of these (might have ended up on the floor, but hey).

Sure this beer gets all kinds of hype, but after finally tasting it, that hype is well deserved. Well done RR, well done.

jamex, Feb 11, 2011