Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,420
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

16 oz pour on tap at hollingshead deli in orange county. Waited in line for 2 hours at 8 am in the morning on a monday was well worth it. Drank side by side with a PtE

A- Appearance is a Dark Gold mostly clear of cloudiness from yeast.

S- Piny strong hop presence much like its elder brother.

T- Taste is amazing! makes the elder next to it taste like a coors.

M- Goes down smooth

O- One of the best beers I've ever had.

werdnacross, Mar 19, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +2.1%

Served at Blue Dog Tavern on 3/13. Thanks to the great people there who had such an efficient ticket system in place for the beer!

A - Poured into tulip glass with a solid two inch head, which dissipated into a thin lace around the top with lacing on the glass. A slightly darker golden color, slightly darker than my friend's Elder he was drinking.

S - Citrus and grapefruit hops

T - Hops come alive in this beer. The lingering piney hop bitterness is enough to let you know the hops are alive and kicking, but not in a bad way. The up front taste is of more of a citrus hop flavor. The malt is hidden beneath the hops, but definitely there, an almost biscuit taste to it, but again, behind all of the hops.

M - Just right, well carbonated with a full crisp mouthfeel

D - For 11%, it went down incredibly easy. No alcohol burn to it what so ever. Halfway through my glass I realized I needed to start taking smaller sips, as I was drinking my only glass a bit too quickly.

Overall, an exceptional beer, one that I could drink all day, as long as the 11% didn't knock me out. Definitely has more of a hop bitterness than the Elder, which seems mellow compared to the Younger. Looking forward to having another glass next year.

goldenmonkey1, Mar 18, 2011
4.58/5  rDev -2.1%

I made a 2 hour road trip to Russian River a few days before the 2 week pouring "window" ended, in hopes of tasing the legend. I landed in the brewery by early afternoon and easily found a barstool. Score!

I was poured my 8 oz portion immediately. The color was a gold/bronze with a thin head that quickly dissapated to a thin lacing.

The nose was less than expected, given my PtE experience. The pine was present but not much citrus.

The taste was extremely balanced for such a big beer. It was BIG in hops and malt without being too toasted or sharp. The smoothness ended earlier than the hoppy bitterness, giving this one a bit of a kick at the end compared to its uncle.

The mouthfeel matched the magnificent taste...the hops provided a full experience and the subtle carbonation helped this big beer go down smoothly, something to watch for with a beer this big!

I loved the beer. I had an Elder taste during my session (of 3 8 oz pours) and found that while the nose of the Elder was superior, the overall impact (i.e. Lupluin shift) of the younger made the Elder difficult to enjoy or compare while in its "zone". I will enjoy PtY again if I get the chance. Meanwhile I continue to target PtE with my homebrew efforts.

heartofgold, Mar 18, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Got an amazing tip, shared with a few with Brendan (afksports) and had a bunch of it...finally a beer that lives up to the hype.

Pours a beautiful orange color with a half inch of head. Leaves nice lacing down the glass...all IPAs should look like this.

Smells of citrus and pine, bread is far in the background...but its balanced...I cannot explain this. Its a little subtle for a beer this big, but overall wish it was more

Taste has everything...citrus burst on the tip with pine and citrus in the middle and finishes with pine...herbs are mixed in. The malt is an after thought, yet is balanced. Once again, I cannot explain it, its fantastic.

Mouthfeel suffers a bit from the full feeling. Its light and crisp with amazing carbonation, yet it fills the mouth like a stout.

Drinkability is amazing, had 3, could have had more, chose to walk away...did you know it is 11% alcohol?

This is an amazing IPA...really what it boils down to

bs870621345, Mar 16, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +0.9%

Notes for later review when I'm on a computer:

App: golden copper wondrous clear with beautiful lacing. Maybe a little brighter, more golden than Pliny the elder.

Smell: beautuful. Every hop note. Grapefruit herbs grass earth citrus and oooh the malts caramel and sugar, biscuit, grain, and beer beer beer

taste: epic. Knuckle sandwich be warned. Torn as to my favorite. The initial bites have water and citrus sweet hops with grapefruit, the middle is malty and bitter hops, and the finish dries with a ridiculous sweetness - how they got that pairing is beyond me.

mouth: same as pte, quality with wonderful carbonation and medium to almost full body

drink: a million. Forever. Desperately dangerous. I'm in love with knuckle sandwich but this is about its only competitor

summation: best vacation ever. On my third pour. Let's hope I hang on to sobriety.

afksports, Mar 16, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -5.3%

After trying the Elder and blind pig and being massively underwhelmed, I was not expecting much from this beer. What an incredible surprise.
The look is much the same as other DIPA's and there isn't much to differentiate in this department but from there on in it just got better.
Wonderful floral hops are the dominant falvour but they are well balanced with some citrus all coming off the head that actually stuck around.
My first sip revealed a wonderful creamy silk texture that I haven't had from anothr DIPA and the sweetness balanced with the turbo-charged bitter hops that linger and dance on your palate long after the gulp of beer is gone.
This is a real belter of a beer, it tastes fantastic and slips down nicely for something as strong as it is. The only problem for me is that the alcohol is still a little dominant and IPA is not my favourite style of beer so not the best beer in the world for me, but certainly one of the best in its class for sure.

hophopandaway, Mar 14, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +2.6%

On Tap at the Blue Dog in Chalfont PA on 3/13/11- thanks to a thoughtful ticket system that also benefited a couple worthy charities. Kudos, Blue Dog!! Served in a Tulip Glass.

A- VERY CLEAR Golden Color with a nice bronze hue. Foamy one finger head that was not quick at all to bubble away. Did eventually wear down to a small amount of nice sticky lace that left trails down the glass as I savored every mouthful of this brew.

S- Notes of piney hops- not as "in your face" as I expected given the press about this ale. In fact, I had this after a finishing a glass of Pliny the Elder, and would say that Elder's hoppy aroma was stronger and packed more of a punch. Younger is more subtle to the nose.

T- Hoppy bliss!! Full, full, (and did I mention full?) hop bitterness from the first splash through the finish. In fact, the piney hop notes seemed to linger and intensify a bit after swallowing. The amazing thing about this brew is that it's powerfully hoppy, but at the same time powerfully SMOOTH as well. Amazing!

M- Full Body; this ale finds every taste receptor in your mouth, including the ones you didn't know you had- but with a perfect balance of taste/feel/fizz.

D- Two or three of these would go down very easily, but more would be tough without food to accompany, or a cab ride home.

This is an amazing brew that I'm glad to say I had a chance to try- it lives up to the hype. That said, as rare as this comes out and as (relatively) easy as it is in the Philly area to get Elder, I'll let others have the chance to get tickets for this next year and stick with the Elder. You can't go wrong with either, and Elder doesn't command the premium or treasure hunting expedition.

CraftAleRookie, Mar 13, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -4.9%

Had this on 2011-03-12 at The Drafting Room. It wasn't a mad rush at the bar as the owner had thoughtfully arranged a way for folks to get tickets ahead of the event. Well done sir.

A - 9 oz of beautiful, golden-orange into a snifter produced a short, white head and minimal lacing. I had this side-by-side with an Elder and the Younger is quite a bit more orange.

S - Wonderful and strong. More aroma than the Elder. Lots of pine, pineapple, mango, passion fruit and sugar toast.

T - Frankly, the taste surprised me as it did not closely follow the nose. First impression was dry, malty and boozy but then the pine and tropical flavors kicked in. It's more bitter than the Elder. Not wanting to rush things, I sipped it over a 1/2 hour period. As it warmed, it tasted a little sweeter, which I was glad of. I also noted a little pepper. The aftertaste lingers more than the Elder and is well-balanced.

M - Medium body and light-medium carbonation. Resinous, prickly and surprisingly dry for this big a beer.

D - Well it's a great beer and I'm glad the quest is over to find and try it. I know I'll have it again. In a head-to-head with the Elder on this day, I liked the Elder better.

Tucquan, Mar 13, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is an amazing beer, there's not much to say that hasn't been said. I though in all honesty don't feel it's the greatest thing EVER. As you would assume it to be from all the hype. But the Russian River crew has again produced another gem to treat us eager beer drinkers with. OK OK the beer...

A very brilliant clear golden yellow with hints of off tan straw. A very thin head dissipates very very fast.

The nose brought out pine needles, fresh trimmings of the chronic, a little straw, with sweet hops all cut with a stinging alc.

There was a spiciness to the beer, that after lemon and green herb. The hops were more to the back of the pallet that all lead to a warm alcohol.

The drinkability of this beer is a personal opinion. I could drink this over and over again. Would it make me see triple? well yea! But there is an amazing balance that gives this beer nothing of a sense of un-drinkability.

See you next year Little guy!

MexicanSkittel, Mar 11, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -5.3%

I am lucky enough to work at a place called Hopmonk Tavern in Sonoma, CA. The owner Dean Biersch bought the last keg of Pliny the Younger for the year about 2 weeks ago. Two days ago, Tuesday March 8th we tapped the last keg of the Younger in the county. Guess who had to work all night? By the time I got off 7 hours later, there was so little left in the keg that it weighed as much as the empties. Nonetheless, I got a full 12 oz glass with Kary, our head chef.

Appearance- Light golden pour, slowly gathering into a frothy, almost meringue-like pillow top mattress of foam. Excellent retention.

Smell- Akin to the Elder, but with much bolder fruity citrus note.

Taste- Almost immediately after the initial shock of alcohol (11%)/maltiness, the HOPocalypse begins, crisp grapefruit and sweet piney flavors combine with a near bread-like finish that.. really shouldn't be called a finish it lingers so long on your palate.

Drinkability- At 11%, two 12oz. glasses is enough for almost anyone. Not to mention there are only a small percentage of beer drinkers who can appreciate a beer like this. The majority of folks simply think it tastes "too bitter"... BAH.. don't waste it on those people!

BrewerDude707, Mar 10, 2011

On Tap @ Father's Office Santa Monica 2/11(From memory)

After waiting 1.5 hours and getting denied at the cluster that was Surly Goat the night before, I was happy to catch FOI's twitter feed the next night and have 20oz of the 15 gallons they released rather quietly.

Whether all the hype added to my immense enjoyment of this divine nectar is inconsequential. Long story short I can't think of a better beer that's ever passed my lips.

Poured a hazy straw/light orange color with a thin head. Incredible kaleidoscopic nose that combines the powerful skunky simcoe dispensary nose of Elder with a concentrated, almost delicate note of pure bright candied apricot fruit. WOW.

On the palate this beer is even smoother than Elder, if I had to guess the ABV blind I'd say 7-8%, it's that well hidden. There is an incredibly zen balance to the taste of this beer that I can only compare to the best Grand Cru Burgundy. Absolutely etheral, even though it's more concentrated, I'd say this is more drinkable than Elder. IBUs are off the chart. I get what they mean by Lupulin threshold shift. Definitely more purely concentrated hoppy than anything I've ever had. But the balance of this beer just swaddles the bitterness in cashmere. The fact that Vinnie makes an 11% ABV beer this balanced is a high wire act that I've never seen surpassed. Cheers. See you next year Younger!

gpatt55, Mar 10, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into an eight ounce glass. It appears medium bodied gold with only a thin layer of white foam.

I get an herbal grapefruit like smell to the beer. There is a bit of a grassy pine like smell as well. All you can smell in this beer are strong fresh dank hops.

It tastes initially very citrus like. I get a bit of a grapefruit flavor. There is a strong pine like dank flavor. There is a grassy hop flavor as well. I detect almost no malt presence in this beer. Hops are the star of this beer (obviously). The beer attacks the palate with a strong but pleasant bitterness. The herbal, slightly citrus, pine like and bitter quality of the hops all linger on for quite a while. This is a very clean and smooth tasting beer. In many ways this beer shows constraint and is not over the top (though the craziness surrounding this beer is).

The carbonation is moderate. There is a crisp mouthfeel to this beer.

The drinkability for being 11 percent is pretty good. It goes down quite easy but due to how flavorful it is this beer is a sipper. I could drink a few glasses of this if given the opportunity.

Overall a nearly flawless beer. I think the hype surrounding this beer is insane but the beer really is amazingly good. The cleanest, most flavorful (yet restrained) double/ triple IPA I have had.

chumba526, Mar 09, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to Scoats and his Grey Lodge Pub for the special offering. I enjoyed my own pour and shared half of my sister's (thank goodness for diets) with another friend, Marty.
This beer did live up to its advance billing. It has a clearer, appearance than expected. The wafting currents from the pour alerted the nose to the grape-fruity flavors embedded within. The taste was clean. It was sharp and it was like a cross between Sculpin and Nugget Nector, fortified with the correct steroids.
Mouthfeel was medium, the sharpness of the hop cut like a fine carbon steel knife. Drinkability was way up there, but it was the last beer of the evening and it was an excellent evening.

jimbomill, Mar 09, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +2.1%

The chase is over and let the hype finally have some perspective. My finish line was a newer joint in NW Denver called Hops and Pie. A little place that does two things great: pizza and craft brews! No fiasco, no attitude, and no worries. Hops and Pie poured off their 5.5 gallon of Younger within 45 mins with no stress.

I was able to snag a 8-10 oz pour of Younger in a mini pint glass. With the delicate pour I procured very little head but what I received was frothy white that receded to delicate white lacing.

The aroma of the Younger is really wonderful. Piney hops, hops and more hops. It exemplifies what a West Coast DIPA is and should be. Not a chase for IBU's but a pursuit of the exceptional.

The Younger tastes like it should. Smooth hoppy, hoppyness with over/undertones of grapefruit, citrus, and lime. Wikipedia is in the process of updating their definition of "smooth" to this beer. No alcohol flavor is apparent but reveals itself later on...

Younger is full bodied and smooth. It coats the palate with bitter, hoppy fruit resins that lingers beyond the norm. Drinkability? I chatted with a H&P patron that we would peg this beer as a 7% ABV if not to know better. This is an exceptionally drinkable beer that you would never know is high ABV.

And we come full circle. The hype? probably too much. The beer? as expected and a total treat. Worth the effort? not something I will stand in line for but when presented with an enjoyable opportunity to taste this fantasticness I will take it every time. Cheers Russian River!

kiddwhiz, Mar 07, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Served in a Brussels glass.

Certainly on my "must try" list. However, with all the hype around this beer, I was a bit skeptical, but hey, a neighborhood pizza and beer place snagged a keg of this, so I figured I'd check it out. I'm glad I attended the tapping of Pliny the Younger at Hops & Pie on Tennyson St. in NW Denver. They tapped the keg at 3pm and it was kicked in less than half an hour. They used a ticket system for efficiency and to make sure we each only got 1-serving. Mind you, this establishment is a hole-in-the-wall, with maybe a dozen bar stools and less than 10-tables. Packed for the few hours I was there. Yes, many in-attendance for the tapping, but it was almost as busy the other time I went, and that was on a regular day.

A: A golden/orange color, with fairly good clarity. Minimal carbonation rising up through the ether. Also minimal head that had to be coaxed back up with a few swirls. Most people were getting their pours out of mini-pint glasses, so I actually felt fortunate when I was offered a tulip glass.

S/T: At first, all I got off the nose was fresh cut pine tree, and lots of it. We cut our own Christmas tree down every year, and it was reminiscent of burying your nose at the base of the tree when you're cutting it down. Fresh pine sap and resin. Wow, very aromatic, if not a bit one-dimensional upfront. Certainly not lacking in the freshly-cut pine bough area, which was backed up by some citrusy tart white grapefruit. There were hints of fresh bread dough hiding behind the bold pine notes that had to be coaxed out from their hiding place, as well as spiced peach and apricot notes with a bit more time in the glass. Once the beer was "comfortable" in the glass, estery/floral/grain notes also made an appearance. The last little sip at the bottom of the glass, after warming up, gave off dried tea leaf notes as well.

M/D: While waiting around for the keg to be tapped, I had 2-different IPAs of lesser strength than Pliny the Younger, so my taste buds may have either been warmed-up, or tarnished, depending on how you look at it. To me, this came across as an exceptionally balanced IPA, triple, or not. Yes, it was hoppy. Was the malt present? Of course, but it wasn't too sweet. Is a matter of fact, I would give this tremendous credit for striking such a balance for a Triple IPA, coming in at 11.0%-ABV.
This balance masked the 11.0%-ABV quite well. Yes, you can tell it's up there in alcohol, but it doesn't really let you know it's true nature on the nose or palate. It doesn't come across as being hot at all. If anything, the ABV comes through in the body.

Everyone was limited to one glass, which was probably a good thing, considering the ABV. With that being said, I would not have hesitated ordering a second glass of this to savor, if given the chance. Certainly a memorable tasting experience.

JonathanG, Mar 07, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

After countless attempts to get a glass of this in 2011, my diligence was finally rewarded with a couple glasses of the Younger.

A tulip glass sits in front of me with a half inch of egg-white frothy head over an almost iridescent, rich golden orange color body. A light stream of small bubbles cascade up the sides of the glass. Nothing overly-remarkable here as it looks like other quality double / triple IPA's.

A rich, almost concentrated, freshly pressed hop aroma spills over the top of the glass. The pungent aroma of weed along with a good citrus note lingers after a lengthy smell. Very similar to the Elder but a bit stronger.

The first gulp (have to admit I breezed through the first glass, the second was savored for awhile) fills your mouth with a mix of hops, grapefruit juice, and a mild malt sweetness. A sharp, bitter bite quickly follows, but doesn't linger and there's no sign of the 11% ABV. It seems that this years version is not as malt forward as in the past and tends towards a bit less balanced in terms of flavor. Reminds me of the Elder if it were on steroids.

Low carbonation works well, as it allows for more of the flavor to shine through with a good medium viscosity. Spot on for a beer of this style. What is really impressive about this, given the ingredients and ABV, is how easy it is to drink a couple (or more) of these.

Overall this is a really good triple IPA, but I don't think this years was as good as past, and I don't think that it's worth the hype and efforts to track down a glass. I am glad that RR keeps on making this every year (and changed the growler policy), but there are plenty of others which are readily available that can satisfy the hop enthusiasts out there.

JoeySchlitz, Mar 06, 2011

Wow! I had my first Pliny The Younger yesterday at Abbey Pub in Bend, Oregon. I enjoyed it a great deal. There were about 50 people there when Geoff tapped the keg at Noon. At 12:23pm, the keg was empty. :-)

A - It has a light golden color that's clear with a light white head.

S - A wonderful hoppy smell with pine and citrus floating off the top with floral undertones.

T - Huge hops, piney and dry that finishes with a bitter touch. The alcohol is well hidden in Pliny tradition.

M - Moderate body with a touch of carbonation.

D - I can hardly wait until next year. Thanks Vinnie.

Mark

BytorTheElder, Mar 06, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -9.8%

Had this on tap at Falling Rock.

Pours a very clear golden,orange color. A small white head drops to a thin crown very fast. Good lacing. Looking at the beer it's hard to imagine the hugh flavor and alcohol it holds.

Nose is very dank. Big pine and some citrus. Resinous with sweet malt balancing in out. Alcohol is definitely present.

The first sip hit my taste buds with a bittersweet and hop oil feel. Really good. Very hoppy with the sweetness of the malt doing it's best to keep things in check. Not as balanced as Elder. The hops do scrap across the palate with the alcohol providing a burn. I love an in your face IIPA so I loved it. The only negative was that as it warmed the alcohol became hot and started to compete with the hops.

Good mouthfeel and drinkability for the style. 8-10oz is enough to satisfy with completely wrecking the palate.

chicano4craft, Mar 05, 2011

On tap at Russian River Brewpub on 2/17/2011, the last day before Pliny the Younger left Santa Rosa.

A: Light amber/orange color with a faint white head. Only complaint related to appearance was the 10 oz. pour.

S: Awesome and unbelievable hop aroma.

T: Hop flavors and bitterness which match the smell. Excellent malt blending, not too sweet and does not mask the hop flavors.

M: Definitely palate pleasing. Residual hop flavors present long after each sip.

D: After drinking 3 sips, I flagged down the waiter and ordered another. Good thing, because they ran out about 15 minutes later. Surprisingly easy to drink at 10.% and GOBS of IBUs, though it is probably a good thing they ran out, it might have gotten ugly.

I had several glasses of Pliny the Younger last year during SF Beer Week at Toronado and really wasn't all that impressed. I thought it was overhyped and I came away thinking that Pliny the Elder was still the top rated IPA in my book. However, based on my recent tasting of the 2011 Pliny the Younger, I can understand why it is the number one beer, not just the number one IPA, or should I say triple IPA. Anyway, I will be seeking out this beer every chance I get.

beerfan99, Mar 05, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to St. Stephens Green in Phili for my first taste of Younger

A small white head that quickly fades to a small ring that leaves a light lacing on the glass. Great clarity. Pale amber in color. Smell is a conundrum of big fruity hops, underlying honey sweetness. Tons of citrus and tropical fruits. The first sip of this elusive beer was a punch to the face with all sorts of hops. It's slightly sweet, but not what your expeting from a beer with such a high abv. MMM. Mouthfeel is great. Medium carbonation. Long finish with hops being prevalent all the way through. Drinkability is great. I almost chugged my first one in order to ensure I could get a second and did so with no problem. Then I had a third and the Pliny really started to kick in. This is a very exceptional brew and I hope I have the chance to enjoy this one again in the future. Kudos to RR for making this gem and sending it all the way to Phili for us to enjoy.

ssuggs01, Mar 05, 2011

On tap at O'Brien's.

A - Clear golden yellow colored with a short lived, thin ring of whitish head that lasts throughout.

S - Big piny resinous citrusy hops. Sweet malts and light alcohol come through as it warms.

F/M - Somewhat sweet malts with tons of resinous piny hops. Citrusy, grapefruity hops, but mostly piny. Rather bitter, but with a lingering malty sweet flavor in the end of the dry-ish finish. Moderate carbonation and medium bodied.

D - Pretty good considering its such a huge beer. Tasty, smooth, and huge, but well made.

domtronzero, Mar 04, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -12.4%

On tap at Oskar Blues Longmont

A - Pours a light brown color - almost golden. Very clear, super filtered looking. light white head formation from a good pour.

S - Very dry hoppy note, resinous and piney, some hints of floral hops as well. No malts to speak of.

T - Starts off very light, just a little bit of nutty flavors. Huge huge hops show up, resinous, piney, reminds me of the edge of a gin. Super super dry. No alcohol warmth to speak of. Finishes with a very solid bitter note - sticky.

M - Moderate to sometimes thin feeling beer body. Carbonation comes through a little - stinging. Alcohol is incredibly well hidden. Huge oily bitter finish.

D - Uh how do you define this since I can't buy another? ABV is pretty potent - flavors are very abusive to the palette. A sipper in the extreme. Not filling.

A quality DIPA - worth the hype? I don't know - I probably would prefer the elder. Certainly a great usage of extreme hopping.

katan, Mar 04, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +2.6%

Had this on tap at Oskar Blues in Longmont. Phenomenal. Great balance, good mouthfeel, nice hop and pine notes. Had it side by side with an Elder, and definitely taste the difference. That being said, both are delicious. Couldn't even tell it was 11%.

twizzle, Mar 04, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a light orangey amber color with minimal head

Big grapefruit notes on the nose with a light background of caramel.

The taste while cool is dominated by bitter pine hops however as it warms semi sweet grapefruit comes to the front with hints of a very minimal malt presence. Not very complex.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thin especially for a beer sitting at 11%. Carbonation is moderate yet somewhat coarse.

Overall just like elder overly hyped. The beer is solid but far from the best dipa I've had. There are several dipas that are much more easily acquired with much less hoopla than this. I will say that as it warms it does improve significantly. Oh well now I've had it and won't have to feel like I've been missing out.

UA8, Mar 03, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Enjoyed on-tap at the Monk's Russian River tasting event on 2/28/11 in Philadelphia, PA. Pre-poured into a wine glass.

A: Light, orangish color. Thin white head that disappeared quickly. Good lacing throughout. Faint carbonation. No bubbles.

S: Mild on the nose. I thought this would smell hoppier, but definitely not overpowering at all. Sweet floral notes. Smell amazing!

T: This is a BEER. Lived up to the hype. Delicious hop character but not over powering mouth puckerer. There is a solid malt back bone. The hop sweetness isn't as bad as other Imperials and Tripels.

M: Good mouth coating hop flavor. Enjoyed a Blind Pig right after and this one definitely was still in the mouth.

D: If I could have had another, I would have had another or ten. Amazing beer. That ABV at 11% does catch up to you, but not right away.

Overall, this was a White Whale of mine and very glad to have tried it fresh from the tap. Delicious, and will definitely search out again at other PA locations that get it out to the public. Hopefully for less than $15 a glass...even though it was for charity.

inlimbo77, Mar 03, 2011