Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,656
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a growler into a tulip.

Orange pour. Not the generic amber/orange that seemingly every DIPA is, but just a bright orange. Much lighter than I was expecting. Thin ring of foam retains well, and leaves some nice lacing on its way down.

Aroma is pure hops. Huge pine, huge citrus, though I didn't smell much citrus until after it warmed up a little bit. I'm sure there's a pretty hefty malt load in there somewhere, but it just gets buried underneath delicious hops.

Huge hoppy flavor, too. Pine is dominant throughout, though there's a nice citric flavor as I reach the bottom of the glass. Some grapefruit and sweet malt underneath. Resinous, yet sweet finish. Was definitely glad to see the citrus come through as it warmed.

Medium-full body. Great texture, appropriately carbonated. No way this beer is 11%. Supreme drinkability. A 5 in that category doesn't do it justice.

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

At long last. Enjoyed a half pint on tap at Falling Rock. It was worth the wait. Pours a beautiful golden color with a nice, frothy head. It almost smelled better than it tasted, extremely fragrant floral, piney aroma.

Great mouthfeel, lots of body, somewhat sticky. Taste is a flavor explosion, strong notes of citrus fruit and pine. This is the most well-balanced beer I've ever tasted. The alcohol was extremely well hidden, and virtually undetectable. A beer that you could literally drink all day..dangerous.

4.6/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared by AJ. Thanks AJ! Pours clear orange color with thick off white head. Aroma is citrus, simcoe hops with grapefruit rind, and some resinous stinky citrus hops. Medium mouthfeel. Flavor is an explosion of flavor. It follows the nose nicely and I can detect layers of resinous hop goodness. Upfront its citrus, then comes simcoe citrus, followed by pine sol flavor, and coats my mouth with hop resins and finishes with a touch of heat. Overall the alcohol is hidden well and I do detect a touch of alcohol in the finish. With more hops. Wonderful beer. Thanks AJ!

When looking, you probably won't think this is the greatest beer in the world. It's real yellow. But the aroma, jeez, what is this, like triple or quadruple dry hopped?

Amazing aroma, dry hops of multiple hop varieties, summit, amarillo seem plentiful. So smooth, yet so hoppy, you don't taste a hint of alcohol, a favorite at the DIPA festival hosted by the Bistro. Mouthfeel, while not complex, is perfect. You love to burp after drinking this beer. Very drinkable once again, no alcohol noticeable. You just want more and more.

This beer packs ton of hop flavor into a super light, dry body. Relatively low bitterness. Lots of dank pine and cannabis type of flavors and aromas. Legit as tit.

4.03/5  rDev -13.9%

Sampling this live right now at Capone's.

Pours a dark golden orange/tangerine color with golden orange hues when held to a light source and a two finger fluffy, soapy white head that has amazing retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Soapy chunks of white lacing are left behind.

Uber fresh dank oily hop aroma that is very floral with a lot of sweet citrus notes balancing out the earthy pine. Slight malt presence and a somewhat strong alcohol character. The high ABV is noticeable in he nose and takes away from the hops a bit.

Chewy full body, especially for the style, that is bursting with uber fresh earthy piny and sweet citrus hops. Very floral with lots of lemon peel and grapefruit as well as some tropical mango and pineapple. There is a slight malt backbone providing some balance but this beer is all about the hops. There is a good bit of alcohol heat that takes away from the hops a bit too much for my liking but overall the ABV is decently masked. This beer is still dangerously drnkable but I wish that it had a little less heat. I've had this beer several times and I love it but I still prefer Elder.

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

holy crap i never thought i would ever get to try this but after a six hour drive and a 2 hour wait at the bar and here i am

hold crap is this beer good its just like a hop explosion, every thing you can think of there huge smell and taste of bitter grape fruit and pine. Then there is this malt to unlike any IPA i have ever had not like an acrid sweet but like a balancing biscuity sweetness that is again followed by the biggest hop kick i have ever experienced this beer is not for light hearted but holy crap is it one of the best i have ever had

4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

First, second, third, etc. many solar system-sized thanks to cloudskipper for going through the trouble of securing this growler & shipping it to the cold northern steppes. Was going to get one last year but turned out I was going on vacation after the release, so I've been waiting an entire year for this opportunity. Break out the glasses & pour that Younger!

Pours a clear, concise gold that would make the Gold Rush of '49 proud. Intense, hard-edged grapefruit is the dominant smell, with pine, citrus, all flowing out of the glass.

Pliny the Younger lives up to its rep as a serious IIPA. Yowza. The water-borne hops come mashing out of the gate at a full gallop. Again, the grapefruit of the hops is ascendant, but there's that Pine-Sol touch right behind it, & a colander full of bitter, mouth-shrinking hop character. Others include just a crumb of breadiness, malt that's a touch dankish & sweet but barely apparent, before the bitterness rushes in at the end to crush the living life out of everything else. Death to the non-hop!

Very sinewy & slippery in the mouth, tar-coated pine needles are all I can think of. Drinkable? Well, I'll have another glass & get back to you on that. But intensity of the hops, virtually unleavened by anything else, means this wouldn't be my drink of choice over a span of hours.

Well, it's tough to live up to the rep it's developed - Pliny isn't the best beer I've ever had. That said, it also obviously deserves the accolades. It's excellent, & I'm delighted I had the opportunity to try it. Thanks Chris!

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

2010 growler. Yet another huge thanks to DuffManSW for hooking this up! Big, loose white head with great lacing and a nice golden color. Big juicy melon and citrus notes in the aroma with hints of honey, honeydew melon, and a distinct skunky homegrown (yeah that kind) quality. The flavor is a juicy blend of wet hops, melon, grapefruit, tropical fruit, and a mellow bitterness on the finish that just lingers forever. The body is creamy and medium-full with soft carbonation.

4.75/5  rDev +1.5%

I'm proud to say that this beer will be my first review.

I had this on 2/10/2010 at The Trappist as a part of Russian River night. Poured into a Russian River stemmed glass. From notes.

A: Pours a glowing opaque orange with a quickly dissipating one-finger head, leaving some beautiful lacing.

S: This was amazing. Grapefruit, orange, pineapple, flowers, pine cones, and a hint of weed/cannabis. No malt aromas whatsoever.

T: Wow. Just utter bliss. Big, bold, and fresh grapefruit and pine hops dancing together on the tongue. Other secondary citrus flavors looming in the background, but the grapefruit is the star. The bitterness is there, but it's not astringent at all. Very subtle honey and bready notes. The 11% ABV is virtually undetectable.

M: Light to medium body. A bit sticky and unctuous.

D: Had to take marks off for this. As incredible as PtY was, its just not something I could have all night. Two was plenty.

I hate to lap up all the hype, but this is the best DIPA (or TIPA?) I've ever had. The whole experience was exemplary. For all the boldness (and occasional one-dimensionality) usually associated with DIPAs, this beer had remarkable nuance and depth of character. It transcends the limitations of its style to something greater and immortal. One of the best libations to ever grace my palate.

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

In my opinion, the Younger is a stronger, hoppier (both are ridiculous) Elder. Nose is slightly more tropical and grapefruity than Elder. There is also a little more candi-cookie sweetness than the Elder. With a slightly lighter feeling body, deceptively, yet equally smooth and dry and refreshing. So fresh and delicious, a true ode to the hops.

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

Growler shared by jerz at Woodshop 5.0. Pours a clear gold with an orange tinge and a creamy dense white head. Aroma is hugely pineappley/grapefruity with vanilla and a piney herbal character. Flavor is very herbal and bitter, lots of resins for sure. Sweetness comes through only in an orange/lychee hoppiness. Malt? What malt? We don't need no stinkin malt. Even if there was a pound of peated malt in this I wouldn't be able to taste it through the absurd hop whirlwind. I think I used the word "whirlwind" in my PTE review too now that I think about it. Whatever, this beer pulverizes. I'll rerate next year off a proper pint.

4.68/5  rDev 0%

On tap at Abbey Pub in Bend...Personal thanks to Geoff for bring this on!

A: Pours a beautiful golden yellow with hints of tangerine and a rich frothy two finger creamy white head that hung around for quite some time and left very nice lacing as it fell.

S: Smells of ripe juicy grapefruit and a hint of pine, incredibly fresh and balanced, just a hint of the malt, and above all else...fresh!

T: Follows the nose, interestingly enough I think the elder has a little more bang for your buck, but what makes this incredible is the balance and smoothness of the flavor profile and the unbelievable fact that this is 11% abv. You never even dream that this beer is that high in abv.

M: Medium light body with smooth carbonation and again no sense of the abv, very crisp and very fresh.

D: This is one of the factors that sets this beer apart from others. As you drink this it goes down so smooth and you have no clue that it is 11%. Absolute perfection for drinkability.

4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

Sampled at a local tasting in St. Louis, big thanks to hooliganlife for bring 2 growlers.

A - Pretty typical of an IPA/DIPA, yellow-orange in color with a tightly dense white head that faded after a minute or so, a peek through the glass showed little hop chunks, awesome.

S - Huge grapefruit and citrus, but pretty one note. Best described as mild grapefruit juice.

T - Great DIPA, lots of citrus like the nose, good amount of malt, maybe some honey like flavors, little bit of pine and black pepper. What stands out to me the most about the beer is the bitterness, alot of DIPA are too syrupy and can't hold back all that sugary sweetness, this one stikes a good balance.

M - Mild mouthfeel, not too watery but has enough body to hold up to the taste.

D - Great great drinkability, hides the 11% perfectly although I was good at one glass.

I gotta say, I'm glad to have tried it. I was really hoping for a life changing event, but alas it was just a really good DIPA and nothing more, I'd be happy to try it again, but at least I know not to get all worked up over future releases.

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

A secret tapping at Teresas Next Door on 2/23/10.Thanks Matt and Andy for the heads up.
Not too many people were told, it was great to be able to sit and relax while drinking this. Maybe 10 other people in the bar.

Pour is a nice golden like color with a nice small but creamy looking off white head.

Aroma was amazing tons of pineapple, citrus, pine...tons of hops...and a nice sugary sweetness and a small amount of alcohol. Very tropical.
The taste was nice pinapple and citrus sweetness, with a nice resiny piney bitterness and a decent amount of malt coming through. The sweetness of the malts and tropical flavors remind me of fresh Captain Lawrence DIPA.
Mouthfell was smooth no evidence that this is an 11 percent beer, had 2 didn't want to be too greedy but could easily drink this all night.

4.2/5  rDev -10.3%

Well, here it is, I finally get to try more than a tiny serving of this much-coveted beer. Poured into a tulip. I'm actually a little nervous because I know the reviews for this beer are scrutinized. While it does pour an attractive semi-clouded gold, the foam recedes rather quickly, leaving a few large bubbles on the surface.

The aroma is outstanding, it's all you ever wanted in an IPA. Apricot, orange, grapefruit, pine, a little mango. For aromatics, it easily deserves a 5.

I get a lot of intense stonefruit on the palate with a zippy pine backing. Hop character is of course very good...but I find that there's somewhat too much alcohol here. It can be harsh, on occasion devolving to what I can only describe as a peach-vodka character. That would be my knock on this beer. I don't think it needs 11%; it doesn't quite have a strong enough malt backing to mask and/or carry it, in my opinion. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I don't see how people can say the alcohol is barely noticeable....I think it's quite noticeable, and it does this particular beer a bit of a disservice in its harshness.

Feel-wise, it doesn't seem to be that well-carbonated, but it is from a growler that made it all the way to the East Coast, so I have to give it the benefit of the doubt. Plus, it has the requisite resiny feel that massively hopped beers have.

While it's got great hop character - we all know that - I honestly couldn't drink that much of this. For me, this is a sipping beer in a single 6-8oz serving. It's good in that context, I think. Not my #1 beer, though, not even my #1 DIPA. Even within RR's own stable, I think Pliny the Elder is the superior beer.

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Received a growler of this from the super generous abecall98. I've missed this damn beer the past three years and I decided the 2010 version needed to be in my belly. Drank from some sort of Belgium snifter thingy with Mr. Scoobydank.

Appearance- Pours a light orange yellow with terrific clarity and a beautiful one finger off-white head. A nice collar and thin cap remains most of the beer along with plenty of lacing.
Smells- Smells a lot like Elder. A lot. Loads and loads of tropical fruits including, but not limited to; peach, pineapple, grapefruit, mango and passion fruit. The alcohol is definitely noticeably in the nose, way more than Elder. Not a lot else to say. It's just a big fruity hoppy party.
Taste- Oh man. So subtle and smooth with absolutely no booze what so ever, surprising considering the smell. Almost zero bitterness with a super citric and fruity hoppiness. Loads of pineapple and mango flood my taste buds but I don't get the crazy fruitiness that I got on the nose because the beer is so incredibly "balanced". A kiss of cracker in the super dry finish but it's fleeting and inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. The hoppy fruitiness just lingers and lingers.
Mouthfeel- Nice and creamy with a slick oily feel from the ridiculously copious amount of hops. Light carbonation with a medium to below heavy feel.
Drinkability- Can't believe how good this is. The only real weakness I can find in the brew is the bit of alcohol in the nose. So fruity and hoppy and nice. Man I hope I can find a growler of this every year. Thanks much Abe!

4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

02.05.10 at Toronado

A: beautifully glowing peach, like liquid gold

S: pine, citrus, hop heaven

T: even better than it tastes, it's all about hops, pine, grapefruit; I think it really is liquid gold

M: a little crunchy and needly from the hops, it right away smoothes out all resin-y, oily, citrus-y, yummy yummy yummy

D: it's so good, I'd like to know how much of these I can really have. Maybe one day ...

Trust your instincts! I had a feeling Younger would make a cameo at Toronado on the first day of San Francisco Beer Week -- and I was right. My friend was even luckier. I dragged him along and this was his first DIPA. Does it get better than that? What can I say, Pliny is pure liquid gold.

4.53/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed a tulip of this on draft at Teresas's this afternoon. It was a quiet tapping, nothing advertised or broadcasted about it. Which I personally enjoyed much more so than the mayhem of other releases. Anyways, this was my first time having it.

Appearance: A nice clear golden color with a small white fluffy head on top. Everything about this beer screamed PtE on steroids and this was just the first indicator.

Aroma: Didn't even have to bring this glass to my nose. Even from afar, hop aroma's of pine, grapefruit, citrus, and pineapple with a touch of sweetness in the background.

Taste: Jesus. So much of a hop presence it's amazing, but never overbearing. Strong pine presence with some citrus and grapefruit to it. To say it had a solid malt backbone would be deceiving, it is very hop forward, but somehow there is enough malt to balance out both the hoppiness and the intense bitterness at the end. Also has just the right amount of sweetness to balance it all out. Certainly the most powerful hop experience I've had without it getting to the point of being unpleasant. Truly amazing.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied while being very smooth, crisp and refreshing. No hint whatsoever of the 11% ABV while drinking this, even as it warmed up.

Drinkability: Well, realistically it is low. This is a phenomenal beer but let's be serious, no one could drink more than 2 or 3 of these without the alcohol catching up to them.

So glad I got the chance to finally try this one. Definitely a world-class example of a double IPA. Special thanks to Matt at the Beeryard for giving me the inside info ahead of time and the whole crew at Teresas (I only vaguely know Andy) for having a very tame, relaxing and enjoyable tapping of Younger.

4.68/5  rDev 0%

So friends of mine asked me what good beer I had around and I popped open a growler of younger. After half a glass, the double digit ABV frightened them off, and I was left with half a growler. I can't complain because this is a beautiful beer. It Poured a nice amber color, almost like mead, With a good solid head and an all hop aroma. The taste was exquisite with a heavy hop forward bitter blast, balanced out by a honey/nectar malt flavor. I had 3 glasses and I could drink this alll night if it were not for the alcohol hitting me after glass 3. It's an amazing beer!

4.43/5  rDev -5.3%

I got in line more than an hour early for EBF session one to ensure I got a taste of this behemoth. That turned out to be unnecessary when it lasted more than two hours into the session. I even ended up getting a second sample.

A: Pours a beautiful golden copper color with about a finger of fluffy white head. Some lace sticks to the sides of the glass.

S: Wonderful aromas of floral grapefruit and pine meet the nose without even holding the quaff up to it. Closer inspection revealed more of the same, but even stronger. One of the most pleasing DIPAs I've ever sniffed.

T: A decent amount of sweet citrus and pine flavors up front quickly give way to an almost mouth puckering amount of bitter hops. Considering the amount of bitterness this brew produces, I'm impressed by how balanced it is. There is just enough sweetness to prevent the high bitterness from becoming unpleasant. In fact, the overall flavor is downright pleasant. However, I would not say it's THE best DIPA flavor I've ever experienced.

M: A nice medium body and incredibly smooth. I can't believe this is 11% alcohol.

D: An amazing DIPA to be sure. Considering this brew has 11% abv, it's dangerously drinkable. I would probably mistake it for something I could session if I didn't know better. Now, is it worthy of the epithet of "Best beer on earth"? I don't believe so. In fact, I think I enjoy PtE just a little more. I did a side by side comparison of the two at EBF and I truly just like the balance between sweet and bitter in PtE's flavor just a little more. IMHO, PtY is simply PtE with just a touch too many hops added. Regardless of this slight qualm, PtY is definitely an elite brew worthy of being in the same company as the world's best beers.

2010 on tap at the Horse Brass Pub and Saraveza in Portland, OR
2011 on tap at Saraveza in Portland, OR

appearance - pours a transparent amber with a one finger head and heavy lacing that lingers in long strings on the glass

smell - hop forward with fruit and citrus

taste - very hoppy but balanced considering the abv, floral and citrus hops, pine, the freshest IPA I've ever tasted, hops mask the massive alcohol in a way unseen

mouthfeel - very smooth, almost cask conditioned smooth

drinkability - very drinkable, the alcohol will sneak up on you...it's a creeper

4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to my Cali connection Nick for going through a lot of trouble to pick up and send a growler of this fine nectar my way.

A-Bright, golden copper with a thin off-white head that reduced to a thin ring. Head revives nicely with a bit of swirling. Moderate, spotty lace left behind.

S-Luscious citrus (orange, tangerine, apricot) hops mixing with papaya, mango and some pineapple. Amazing, for how strong the hops are they do not overwhelm. Backing of sweetness is moderating and very pleasant. Regardless of this sweetness though the hops are, without question, the star of the show.

T-WOW! This is ALL about the hops! I am amazed at the power of the hop presence and yet it isn't overpowering or too bitter. The malt sweetness moderates the bitterness and allows the humulus lupulus beauty shine through.

M-Medium-light bodied, quite smooth and yet crisp. Can this beer really be 11%? I cannot see how...alcohol is barely noticeable!

D-From a growler, on tap, out of a cattle trough, spilled in the gutter and lapped up....it doesn't matter this beer is, without question, the KING of the West Coast hop bombs! I could drink PtY until I lapsed into a coma!

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

I am not the biggest fan of big, strong IPA's. They are by no means my favorite style. I do however respect them, enjoy them, and admire their sometimes complex layers of flavor.

I have heard tell of this brew for some time now, so when I worked EBF 2010, I made sure that this one was my first one, so I was clear minded enough to review it and give it a fair shake.

Pours a nice dark amber color, with nice head.

Aroma is earthy hops with hints of pine. Very refreshing and enticing to smell.

The taste is very well balanced. Sweet hints of candy or citrus, with strong hop backbone coming in the middle. Finishes sweet on the palate.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are great. For 11% abv this goes down dangerously smooth. With all the flavors in balance, you really don't notice the alochol, with very little burn in the throat. Damn near sessionable.

A very amazing beer. I was very impressed to see it lived up to the hype.

4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

Cheers to Mikeoxlong for trading this growler, I have been wanting to try this beer for about 2 years now! Als shared among friends as it will be ahrd to finish a whole growler!

After traveling across the country, the growler opened up with a nice hiss - no carbonation lost during transit. Poured into a snifter glass, and with an aggressive pour, only an 1/2 inch head appears and leaves little lacing. Instead, swirling the glass reveals the legs of this beer, an indication of alcohol content. The brew looks great - a wonderful amber/golden color and absolutely clear.

Smell: An interesting mix of resiny hops, toasted malts, and wafts of spicy alcohol. Breathing in more I find more complex nose, minor citrus, tropical fruit, pine, spruce, and sap. The nose is does not knock me off my feet but it is complex with many different hop profiles added into the aroma. The alcohol, which not terribly noticeable, detracts from the nose only slightly and lends a very spicy character to the brew.

Taste: Holy hops! Bitterness grabs the tongue and refuses to let go! Hops are a strong and harsh when the beer is cold but tends to be smoother when the beer warms up. The bitterness lends a resinous, piney flavor to the brew. Quickly after the hops however, the malts come through very clean and fresh with caramel, breadiness, and toffee. Very well balanced for 11% ABV but the alcohol is present and leaves a prickly feeling on the sides of the tongue. Complexity for a DIPA as through the roof on this one. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and finishes rather dry, very typical of west coast DIPAs.

Overall: Pliny the Elder on steroids. Satisfies every hop heads wet dream with a doubt. My only marks on flaws would be the nose which is not as strong as other DIPAs. Gruit 16 ale comes to mind, PTY doesn't go past 16 in the nose. For 11% ABV, which is really hard to make in a DIPA, the beer is dangerously drinkable and well balanced. This beer would be perfect with 0 ABV heat more hop aroma, but is great as it stands

4.72/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at the EBF 2010.

A- Yellow with a touch of gold; white head that fades to a thin cover.

S- Very fresh hop aroma, citrus and tropical fruits and a touch of alcohol.

T- Blast of fresh hops right off the bat, moving into a citrus and tropical fruit sweetness. I can't really detect any of the 11% abv. The hops leaves a very bitter finish, but it is an extremely clean bitterness.

M- Medium body with a low carbonation.

D- Incredibly easy drinking for 11%. I was worried when I was about to try this that it would turn out to be over-hyped; that was not the case. This beer is very worthy of being at the top of the 'best of BA' list.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company