Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,291
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros

A: Poured into a snifter at the Bottleworks Grand Re-Opening. They had a great selection but my mind was already set before I walked in. Golden orange with burnt lemon and butterscotch hues. Infusion of well balanced hazy copper rich tones. While lighter in complexion than my expectations it is a fantastic looking beer. Perfect pearl white head that fluffed up like thousands of minuscule marshmallows. Retention was strong. Sticky crystallized lacing all down the glass.

S: Coats the air with honey seared grapefruits and flowery resined hops. I pushed my nose close to the glass to inhale the orchestra of melting spruce and fresh pine needles. Hints of lemon soaked tangerines. Smells like they corked a pine tree and drained out all of the sap while blowing it full of toffee smoke. Citrus, berries, and perfection.

T: This one hits the mouth like an ax blade glazed in hops. Much like the aroma everything about the taste is clean, fresh, and crisp. Significantly rich with assaulting hops. Pineapple juice tang and orange rind pierce that are cut with just the slightest vanilla and banana roundness. Subtle spiciness emerges from the cacophony of hop madness. This is over 10% and while there is no alcohol in the taste you get a nice flush feeling about 6oz in (especially at 1130AM, after the gym, and on an empty stomach). Every taste is better than the previous. Not just first class for the style but first class for beer in general.

M: Perfectly dry and smooth with a medium mouth feel. My tongue was still tingling 45 minutes later.

D: The best IIPA I have tried. Thus, I am giving this five's across the board. A possible uniter of humanity? RR may be onto something. It's a sipper but after the first sip it's hard not to keep going. They should just call it a triple imperial IPA. I am by no means an expert on beer but this lived up to my anticipation. Thanks to RR for creating this and Bottleworks for providing it.

erikm25, May 15, 2009
4.48/5  rDev -4.5%

2012 batch...

PTY:  2/16/12 ( I think it's been released for ~12 days)

A:  pale yellow amber and quite clear,  just a tiny bit of haze (i think id actually like to see more).  A thin stark white foam tops it off clinging to the glass fairly well along the way.

S: fallen pine needle and citrus peel are ever present.  Tangerine juice and grapefruit pith.  There is a hint of iced doughnut for me as well.

4.5

T:  huge and sticky this shows a sweet candied orange sweetness and Soft zesty bitterness.  along with the citrus pith suggestions, this carries a "green" quality usually reserved for green flash descriptions.  Some forest floor carries out in the mid palate.  Some astringent alcohol in the finish with a sense of its strength but in a dry sort of way (think old raj).

M:  bright prickly and sticky all at once.  Medium finish.  Lengthily drying out the palate.

4.5

O:  not unlike biting into a honey tangerine through the skin.  But don't sweat what ya heard kid.  This is great stuff, if they brewed it all the time I think I would still be popular.  Not something worth waiting in a long line for however.  That said this beer is somewhat unique in its balance of flavors.  It doesn't register too sweet (120 min, brass knuckle, ect...) nor does it fall into a bitter hop head bomb ala Dreadnaught.  No, this one is balanced, well except for that pesky alcohol on the finish.

4.5

WOW I finally got to try it! WOOOHOOOO! man this beer is EVERYTHING everyone makes it out to be. or is it?

to try it at an IPA fest at NAJA's place in Redondo Beach (If you live in LA and haven't been I recommend trying Najas out).

Pours a dark amber color and has sticky head retention.

Smells like what one would expect of a big IPA, Lots of citrus and piney notes. Grapefruit aromas lead the way.

There is a hop and flavor explosion once this stuff is on your tongue. Wow I kept going back for more despite the high ABV. This is just an amazing beer tons of balance and complexity, yet it leaves a high note of bitterness to sooth the hophead in me. If you see this beer ever, buy all of them! Of course this will never be bottled so good luck.

flannelman808, May 13, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

Viggo was nice enough to share this one. huge thanks eric!

64oz russian river swingtop. sampled may 5/09.

pours crystal clear deep orangey amber. a big fluffy cream coloured head forms, dropping very slowly and leaving spotty lace behind.

aroma is intense. wow, there's some hops in there! huge multi-dimensional hop blast. pine, grapefruit flesh and peel, orange flesh and peel, tangerine. alcohol. crackers and white bread. you can almost feel the IBUs before you even take a sip. goddamn this smells good.

taste is awesome. again, wow. intense multi-dimensional hop attack. mostly orange and tangerine up front, then the bite of the grapefruit and pine kicks in. and keeps kicking. fruit and peel. bit of sweetness in the fruit, and bitterness in the peel. earthy and floral too. i can tell there's some alcohol in there, but it's lost behind the bludgeoning hop attack. yet, as much as the hops are kicking your ass, there's a ton of malt in there too. slightly toasted whole wheat bread. white bread. cracker. touch of biscuit and grain. light almost nutty character too, just a hint hiding in the background. there's as much depth and complexity to the malt as there is to the hops. hints of caramel, but most of the sweetness comes from the big juicy citrus hops. medium-high bitterness level. actually, the first sip was probably higher, but i feel like i've quickly become numbed to some of its effects.

mouthfeel is great. medium-large body. very fine medium carbonation. it feels a little full-bodied for the style, but since we're playing at or beyond the upper end of the style guidelines, that's probably a good thing. screw a randall, this thing doesn't need fancy bells and whistles to peel the enamel from your teeth.

drinkability is surprisingly good. i feel like i'm being slowed down by the body more than by the alcohol or the bitterness. actually, i'm mostly just constantly stopping to explore the new directions i see in it.

grub, May 06, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +2.3%

HUGE thanks to nerd for hooking me up with this growler IP at DLD, I owe you man, been waiting a long time for this one.

Pours a crystal clear light amber/orange, nice and bright, very thick white head forms, slowly settles down to a very thick ring around the glass and thin layer, big chunks of lace stick to the glass. Smell is insanely hoppy, very complex, tons of tropical fruit, pine, grapefruit, oranges, very perfumy, alcohol, apricot and light fruits, caramel, some biscuity malt, lightly sugary, tons of citrus in this one, mango, all over the place, amazing stuff. Taste is amazing as well, tons of orange peel, almost acidic how much hoppiness there is, pine and grapefruit, caramel sweetness through the middle, big alcohol but not overdone, slight graininess near the finish, almost a jasmine sort of character in the finish, very bitter but also is sort of balanced, very complex. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, pretty thick for a DIPA, with medium carbonation. Crazy hoppy but still balanced with the malt. Wow is this a good DIPA, insanely hoppy but just the right amount of malt to balance it out. Well done, big thanks to Michael for this one!

Viggo, May 06, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +6%

Thanks very much to Grant for sharing this growler at the Brick Store Pub. I've somehow missed this every year in California even though I'm usually there every time it comes out- sadly I'm usually working too hard then to seek it out or go up to Santa Rosa. I love the Elder, and this beer is every bit as good as I'd hoped. Pours golden with okay head and some excellent lacing. Very nice for a growler. A beautiful blast of pine on the nose with some lovely sweet caramel malt providing a nicely layered backbone underneath. For me, the taste is perfect. Sweet malt and a heavy dose of extremely fresh tasting piney hops that have just oozed their oils into this brew. Some nice citrus on the finish as well that combines with the sweet malt for a nice slightly candied finish to the herbal explosion that came beforehand. Deep flavors that roll on and on. Exquisite. The mouthfeel is at first prickly with hops and then smooth with creamy malt. Looong finish. Utterly delicious. I could drink this all day and pay for it later. Not as dry as the Elder of course, but even more deeply flavored. A masterpiece from my favorite brewery.

Georgiabeer, May 04, 2009
4.65/5  rDev -0.9%

I was finally able to try the mighty Pliny the Younger on tap during the Drafting Room's Hop Fest V. I originally thought they were going to tap Pliny the Elder, but they tapped Pliny the Younger instead. What a pleasant surprise!

Appearance: You'd think a beer that's super hopped up would be hazy or murky as hell with a ton of hop particles floating around, but it wasn't at all. It instead poured a semi clear golden amber orange with a few traces of pale lemon yellow highlights along the sides. Sitting on top of this beer was a good sized fluffy head of white foam. This cotton colored head of foam had good retention that left behind a string of rings and a few blots of lace around the glass. I still can't get over the fact how clear this hoppy beer was!

Smell: The strong scent of hops was just pouring off of this beer. It was so strong that you could easily smell the rich scent of hops a couple of feet away. There wasn't just one variety of hop taking up all the room in the aroma, it was a whole plethora of hops in here. I smelled piney hops, citrus hops, grapefruit hops...ah hell just name a variety of hop and it's more than likely in here. Cowering behind the thick wall of hops was the aroma of bitter and tart grapefruit, lemon grass, as well as a few exotic fruits. My nose couldn't find any malts in here, but to be honest, it didn't need them. The strong scent of hops is more than enough to satisfy anybody's sense of smell.

Taste: For a beer that's jam packed with hops, it was actually well balanced. The hops balanced themselves out without the aid of malts of fruits. The first of many hops to show up in the taste was the grapefruit hops. These grapefruit hops lingered on my taste buds for a few minutes. After the grapefruit hops had enough time in the spotlight, they made way for the piney hops. These piney hops didn't stick around for too long because out of nowhere, in comes the grapefruit hops again. I guessed they thought that they didn't have enough in this beer before, so they shoved the piney hops out of the way. I guess you can say the grapefruit hops were very aggressive, but it made for a great taste. There weren't many flavors following the hops, but I couldn't care less about that. The hops were more than enough for me. If you want to know, the flavors that followed the hops were bitter and tart grapefruit and a splash of lemon.

Mouthfeel: 11% ABV? You have got to be kidding! That's what I first thought after I had a few sips of this beer. This beer completely masked it's high 11% ABV. Not only did it hide the ABV%, but the mouthfeel also had a long lasting hoppy aftertaste of a wide range of hops. This strong hoppy aftertaste will linger on the surface of your tongue for a good 10 minutes.

Drinkability: Be careful when you drink Pliny the Younger. Even though it's extremely good, the 11% ABV will come down on you hard if you don't watch it. This beer lives up to all the hype it's received. It was an honor to try this wonderfully balanced hoppy beer.

AltBock, May 02, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -6.2%

Served on-tap at TJs a few weeks back, from my notes.

Pours a strong orangecopper color with a thick white head and tremendous amounts of lacing.

Strong pine hop nose, some floral aspects as well. Some citrus comes out when the glass is moved.

Amazing flavor, the hop flavors are incredibly complex and powerful - pine, grapefruit, floral aspects all present at one time or another.

The finish is almost sweet, crisp and still powerful.

I managed to get two of these, as the keg kicked in 26 minutes, the second glass was as powerful and tremendous as the first. According to my notes, the second glass seemed a bit more oily than the first, but not in any negative way. A great, great beer.

mhatters, May 02, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +3%

Had on tap at Naja's in Redondo Beach.

Ok so I don't know if I've even got words for this. I've been to the promised land at back. Getting my hands on this beer has been a pilgrimage of sorts. From what I understand, having a keg od pty this late is almost treason. That's ok with me though. I'm just glad to get a taste, fresh or not.

Where to start....The appearance is absolutely perfect. Its a pale/transparent honey gold. There's little head to speak of, but the head that exists is totally white. Absolute heaven. It laces beautifully down the glass.

Pty smells great, too. Hops hops hops. A ton of citrus is almost assaulting, followed by grapefruit and some piney notes as well.

The taste is the most complex I've ever experienced. There's a ton of grapefruit up front that grabs a hold of your tastebuds and doesn't let go as a slight bitterness works its way in followed by more grapefruit and even some lighter fruit notes. Melon maybe.

The beer is medium bodied and nothing really sticks out w/r/t carbonation.

The drinkability is incredible. I savored my one glass over the course of 45 minutes, yet gulped down the first half almost instantly.

Long story short...I need more.

originalsin, Apr 23, 2009
4.68/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Color is rich, pale hued but with an orange and honey goodness. Not a lot of head or lacing, but the carbonation appears bubbles up in champagne-reminscent strands.

S: Gobs of hops. Citrus zest and even honeylike blossoms. All of this in conjunction with a bit of alcohol presence that gives an indication that this brew is serious business (though it is still deceptively strong, trust me).

T: The citrus from the nose is delivered, grapefruit, orange peel, some sweet citrus blossoms balancing the bitterness and alcohol. Add some pine to the mix, and even some peppery spiciness from the array of hops assaulting the mouth. Alcohol is well masked, but the beer kicks my tongue's ass. This beer grabs my tongue and squeezes the taste buds. Do not mix with lawnmowing, as this is no lawnmower beer. Huge, possibly frightening flavors.

M: Medium body, somewhat oily. Smooth in my mouth but not thick. Carbonation, my tongue failed to perceive anything relevant, as my palate was too busy being wrecked.

D: I have mixed feelings on this one. On occasion I have had a few pints of this (warning: bring a driver) and today I sipped on 12 oz. for probably 45 minutes. Of course you should drink it if you see it, but just because it is so rare and uniquely tasty. If this was more freely available it is not something I would buy too frequently. A great beer to savor, preferably last as it is a palate annihilator. The only problem is that I always drink it first because I am scared the keg will blow.

Not my favorite beer, maybe not even perfectly suited for my palate, but an achievement in brewing. No other beer is similar. Considering the thousands of IPAs brewed in America, that is an astounding statement.

vacax, Apr 23, 2009

On tap at Union Jack's in Boyertown, Pa as part of Easter Hopfest '09. Served in a tulip; 10.5 oz. serving.

A: Beautiful golden, copper color. Off-white/ ivory head that dissipates in about a minute or so. Left great lacing on the glass as the beer consumed.

S: White grapefruit up front, taken over pleasantly by the sweeter, more tropical fruit smell of pineapple as the beer warms a bit. Maybe a hint of maple syrup offered as a malt backbone, but very minimal.

T: This is the most interesting and complex beer that I have ever tasted. In addition to an exquisite flavor, I loved the fact that this beer had a "3 Phase" taste to it. The first phase consisted of a huge grapefruit punch. The second phase was the big grapefruit flavor giving way to a sweet pineapple flavor. This only lasts briefly, but is extremely pleasant and is the perfect balance for the grapefruit. The third phase consisted of more grapefruit taste, but this time a more tart grapefruit. The aftertaste lasts a minimum of 10-15 seconds post-swallow, before it heads the way of a nice and dry finish.

M: Smooth, medium bodied, with a bit of oiliness/ stickiness left on the tongue from the massive amount of hops used to make this fine brew.

D: I am forcing myself to drink this slowly, which is hard to do since it packs so much flavor. I would love to drink this every time I have a beer. IIPA's are my favorite style of beer, and PtY has everything I could ever want, and more, in a beer.

aglose45, Apr 19, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap @ Union Jack's (Boyertown, PA) on 4/11/09. Part of the '09 Easter Hopfest.
Served in a tulip glass.

Pours a beautiful crystal clear copper with a 1/2 finger of creamy brite-white head. Retention is just fantastic, continuing to bubble during the duration of the glass. Huge flare-up when swirled gets this back to it's original head level immediately, leaving a great looking smattering of lacing back. Just a top notch look here. The aroma on this beer just OOZES hops and tropical fruits. Floral notes, spices, piney residues, grapefruit, pineapple, and mango. If it's associated with West Coast hops, it's crammed in here. Thick bread and caramel add an extra layer to the nose, mixing with the citrus to impart a robust tang. There's also a touch of alcohol beef to the proceedings but it in no way infringes on the other smells in this. Overall quite fantastic and I could sit here and sniff this all day!

The first thing I think of upon my first sip is how well balanced this is. Huge spicy and piney hops up front that are immediately cut and evened out by a slick backbone of caramel, bread, and tropical fruits that just explodes in the middle, before settling into a exceedingly bitter finish that lays a dry feel and lingering warmth on the palate. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with an overall creamier feeling carbonation but there is a definite sharp prickle to it as well as you swallow. Of course, probably the highlight of this beer is the magnificently hidden ABV. At 11%, there is absolutely some alcohol beef to the overall profile but it stays warming, never gets stinging, and fits in with the general hugeness of the beer.

Hands down, this is a hoppy masterpiece. The exceptional balance, flavors, and most of all drinkbility of their flagship Pliny the Elder taken to a new level. Seek it out.

Kegatron, Apr 14, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

Two 10oz tulip glasses on tap Saturday 4/11/09 @ Union Jack's - from cell phone notes:

A: Dear Lord, it even looks like the king of IIPA's! Bright, bright golden copper color - really stands out - we actually placed this beer next to pours of Bear Republic Apex, Avery Mahajara and Hop Stoopid. And Younger was the prettiest, by far. Looks like a beer drinker's dream, with a nice white 1/2 inch sticky white head. full lacing throughout

S: A hop blast for sure. To my nose pine dominates, but grassy grapefruits hues are around. Smells fresh and wonderful.

T: No comparison. Masterfully hopped, beautifully bitter. The hops assault the back of the tongue, while just a light kiss of malt caresses the front. Not a fair balance, but oh man does it work here. In the debate of east vs west coast IPAs this one destroys all the east coast IPA arguments for malt balance and hop goodness. Younger laughs at you, big malt bills.

M: Resiny sticky mouthfeel, great coverage - taste bud fatigue might be a problem after a few, wish I could find more than one or two at a time. When you don't even notice the carbonation either way, it must be perfect.

D: Damn scary. I'd be dead before I realized I drank too much of this, or my tongue through in the towel from the hop beating.

This is the first time I've sought out one of the OMG beers and have it exceed the hype and expectations. And yes, Elder does not even come close.

bwd110, Apr 13, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +0.6%

Had this on tap at Falling Rock and damn was it good. It had a tremendous aroma of grapefruit and hops. On the palate, it was big and malty, then a wave of intense hop flavor the likes of which I have never experienced before. The pure essence of hop flavor. Bitterness came slowly, but eventually saturated the back of my mouth and did not leave. A looonnnnggg finish.

Wow, just....wow.

BradLikesBrew, Apr 05, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +2.3%

Served in a snifter at Capone's on Sunday morning March 29th, 2009. What a fantastic event. Kudos, as usual to Matt and his peeps. Double IPAs and strong sour beers at 10am on a Sunday, BooYa Grandma!

Arrived at the table as I said in a snifter, nearly filled to the brim. The room left for head was about ¼ inch. (not complaining mind you, as I knew the keg would kicked in minutes). The ¼ inch head was stark white and tight. It hung around for quite a while, while I took these notes on appearance. When it receded, if you looked straight on, it almost appears as though it hadn't. But looking in from above, you could see it did. The liquid was a dark golden color with a copper hue when held to the light.

The smell was sheer hop goodness. Citrus hops abound, grapefruit, grapefruit rind, sweet oranges, and lemon peel. Yes, all of these and potentially more. There was a bit of piney hops in the middle. Finishing out the aroma was a bit of sweetness, not quite caramel, but that smell when making simple syrup, just boiling sugar and water.

Wheeew, hop city, next stop! The hop flavor in this one is nearly beyond comparison. I would not say the bitterness is as high as many others, but hop flavor, oh baby. Citrus dominates, with pine taking a back seat. I mostly get grapefruit, ruby red grapefruit and grapefruit zest. A bit of the lemon zest and oranges from the nose comes in late. A bit of sweet candy like malt comes in the middle but quickly is beaten back by the hops. A bit of alcohol heat can be found right before the finish. Speaking of the finish, it is a wonderfully smooth lingering bitterness.

Body is medium to full. Carbonation is light with a fine, creamy smooth feeling. There is bit of drying in the finish that combines with the bitterness to make you long for the next sip.

Drinkability is quite high but loses a fraction and is not quite as quaffable as his uncle.

jackorain, Apr 03, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +5.1%

On tap at Tria Washington Square - I drove 30 miles to partake. Tria was exceeding fire code capacity when we arrived at 6:45, so I had to take the wife to Banana Republic to spend some cash and kill some time. Luckily the kegs were still dispensing when we returned at 7:30.

Served in a Tulip Glass, perhaps a little too cold.

Great expectations...

A: Golden with some cloud (Tria was dark) Head is formidable but recedes evenly. Sticky lace remains.

S: Intense, full hops. Fresh and Green. My wife says it reminds her of our trip to Sonoma. So packed and powerful that the hops can't get out of their own way. I expected a more extreme hop aroma but was pleasantly surprised at the relative balance. Floral notes - white flowers.

T: In a word: Sublime. perfectly balanced with no regrets. I generally like something with more aggressive hops, but this has shifted my paradigm. Fresh and green, which is especially surprising, considering that I am drinking a beer from Sonoma while standing in the middle of Philly. Hops are extreme, but in check with everything else. Little or no malt character.

M: Medium to High carbonation. Not too thick. A little sticky.

D: 11% ABV!? It sure doesn't taste it. But two beers in, I start to feel it. If I lived in northern CA, I'd be a lot less productive.

Overall: Probably the best I've ever had. Would love try it next to some fresh Ruination, Pliny the Elder and DFH 120 - Talk about a final four...

RuinationMan, Apr 03, 2009

finally i had the holy grail! On tap at Tria for their thurs barrel tasting series. Poured into a crystal wine glass, great glass lacing and clarity, wonderful color. And the smeill, as I would expect from a RR beer and having had the elder, great piney floral hops hops and more hops...
I went in expecting to enjoy but not be blown away. The elder is my fav- until tonight. Yes friends this beer lived up to its hype for me. What a great beer! so balanced, so delicious, so drinkable, so potent. a great beer! I am graced to finally have been able to partake and enjoy

sublimesipping, Apr 03, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +2.3%

A - pours a clear slightly orangish yellow with a nice fluffy white foam that left plenty of sticky lacing

S - strong citrus-grapefruit and pineapple and piney hop aroma with a hint of the alcohol to come

T - the taste follows the nose exactly, lots of citrus hops up front followed by more of a piney hop flavor

M/D - Definitely worth seeking out. I was lucky enough to have this twice this year at the Local 44 event and at Capones later on. The only thing that keeps me from rating this 5 across the board is the abv. that keeps me from drinking alot of it and remembering my name. Incredible brew though.

mikereaser, Apr 02, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +5.5%

On tap at Devil's Den in Philadelphia. My first visit there and certainly not my last.

A-- Pours a bit hazy deep to mild orange depending on how the lighting is. Nice creamy head that lingers for a while. Great sticky lacing.

S-- smells of pineapple, grapefruit, pinecones and all the resiny goodness you would expect from a high alcohol DIPA. Malts peek there head out to say hello then disappear until the beers has a chnace to warm a bit.

T-- mmm...hops...first sip gives me a great taste of grapefruit that almost compares with hopslam's grapefruit character but not quite. The hops also have a pine and pineapple flavors in this bad boy. alcohol adds some fruity esters which is very nice. malts once again come in to help out in keeping this beer drinkable..a bit bready from malts...very very delicious...

M-- smooth and a little sticky...goes down really easy...

D-- had 3 of these with now problem at i believe was a 11 oz pour...could easily of had a few more without passing out or anything close...great beer...just dont chug it...i will kick you if you chug this beer...

stuckonhops, Apr 02, 2009

A - Classic IPA coloration of amberish golden

S - Another definite hop bomb

T - Taste was right on with the nose. This beer smelled like hoppy citrus and couldn't have delivered any better. Not the hoppiest beer I've ever had, but close to it, yet still maintains a balance of delicate undertones

M - Medium in carbonation and body

D - While this is crazily hopped, I could drink it just for sheer appreciation of its beauty. This is by and far the best beer I have ever tasted. I have had a lot of beers that haven't lived up to the hype, but this one did.

Martin2D, Apr 02, 2009

I am not into overhyped beers, but PtY really is as strong as the reviews indicate. Straight 5's fromm me.

I have had it three times over the years and most recently had it for the first time in a quite a few years. My pallate is more refined, I've seen more, I've done more. This beer still took me by surprise. I didn't even take a sip for ten minutes, I just smelled it. This beer is a style defining beer in my opinion. Forget about putting the Coke recipe in Fort Knox, lock this baby up.

Trade for it, beg for it, travel for it. Just make sure you try it before you die.

NolanGTI, Mar 31, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -17.9%

Got to try this on tap at Capone's. Pours orange with a thick white head. Aroma of nice hop oils and crackery malt. Flavor is quite malty with a sweet finish. A bit heavy and harsh at times and not as citrusy as the growler version I had. Certainly not as citrusy as Elder. Second time around I was less impressed by this one. It is a heavy IIPA and at times overbearing. Fun to try, but I think I'm done seeking out this one. Elder is better!
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Mar 31, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Russian River- Pliny the Younger

A- Bright clear copper orange with a huge fluffy white head. Good messy lacing down the goblet.
S- Strong pungent pine hops with a big dose of alc. and sour grapefruit.
T- Thick malt, slight burnt brown sugar. Huge pine hops, oily fresh pine hops. Alcohol and bitter grapefruit rind.
M- Thick malt up front with quite a bitter oily pine tar hop body. Alc. and bitter dry hops finish this off.

Overall- Gulped my beer down in under a minute! Alc. is potent in this 1. Very drinkable.

NJpadreFan, Mar 30, 2009
4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

On tap at Capone's on 3/29/09. Served in a snifter.

A - Clear golden/amber body with one-finger bubbly white foam cap that settled to a patchy film but flared up with each swirl of the glass and left thick lacing around the glass. Carbonation is minimal.

S - Sweet, citrusy hops reeking of pineapple and grapefruit. Mild alcohol notes appeared, especially as it warmed up a bit. The Younger is packed to the gills with West Coast hop goodness... even more than its Elder counterpart!

T - West Coast DIPA all the way with a bold smack of pungent citrus hops suggesting pineapple and grapefruit. Some sweet caramel malt swoops in at the end to balance out the intense hop bitterness. Hops take on a more resiny character toward the finish.

M - Medium bodied, although a bit lighter than your usual DIPA, with moderate carbonation and a light syrupy texture, yet still retains a smooth, creamy mouthfeel overall. Finishes with an assertive hop bitterness on the palate.

D - This is perhaps the Holy Grail of West Coast DIPAs, and I am glad to have had the opportunity to get this on tap in PA! However, I'm sticking with Dreadnaught as my benchmark DIPA. With that said, Pliny the Younger is certainly no slouch and nothing short of an amazingly crafted West Coast style DIPA. Definitely worth the hype... even after standing in a line that rivaled the re-release of Star Wars back in 1997!

ffejherb, Mar 29, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -5.5%

On tap at Capone's...

A - A glowing mellow orange amber color... Slight cloud like white head with minimal retention... Minimal lacing... A sticky syrupy glaze clings to the glass...

S - Wonderful mix of hop aromas, but not overpowering... Piney and citrusy both at the same time... Floral scents... Malt... Burnt sugar... Tropical fruits...

T - Lovely blend of hops... Partly piney, partly citrus... A very solid malt backbone... Toasted almonds... Hint of candied sugar... Wonderful balance and complexity...

M - Smooth... Clean... Crisp... Light jto medium bodied... Mild carbonation... A faint syrupy stickiness... Elegant...

D - Clean and sophisticated... Delicate yet powerful... The craftsmanship is exquisite... The hops are abundant, but not overpowering... Quite similar to the Elder with more of a malt presence and less of a dry finish... The 11% ABV is hidden beautifully... A gem in the world of craft beer...

philbe311, Mar 29, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +6%

On tap at TJs Everyday. Saved my notes so this could be review #400.

A-A beautiful clear orange, with a generous pillowy white head and lots of lacing.

S-Best. smelling. beer. ever. Pine hops, grapefruit hops, even some floral notes. Each swirl of the glass yields another burst of aromas.

T-Lives up to its hype, and the promise of the nose. As with the nose, all of the hop flavors are present at one time or another. Citrus, then pine, then floral, then pine, then citrus, etc. A nice, almost honey like sweetness in the finish is the final delicious touch.

M-And yet, for all of the flavor, this is still medium bodied, a little oily but not overly so.

D-Well the sixtel kicked in 26 minutes so I can only imagine the second would have been exceptionally drinkable like the first. Given the ABV, one is certainly the right number.

Wow!