Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,674
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I had several ounces of Pliny the Younger poured by Vinnie himself at the Extreme Beerfest.

The beer pours a golden honey color with a small, creamy white head on top. The aroma is all flowery and grapefruit citrus hops.

Each sip of this full bodied beer is chewy with a mild fizz on the palate. The flavor is mostly citrus and pine hop. Seems like cascade or centennial hops to me. Throughout is a nice sweet, caramel malty flavor that is a good balance to all the hops. It finishes with some alcohol and once gone the citrus hop flavor lingers on the palate.

For 11% abv this is a well balanced beer. Mostly hoppy, but the sweet malt holds its own. Definitely a sipping beer that will warm your insides after one pint.

4.8/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to a very generous BA for dealing with the madness at the release and shipping through one of the worst storms DC has ever seen to get this to me. It's been a long weekend of driving up and back to Buffalo and I've been looking forward to opening this growler.

Poured from a growler into my Russian River tulip glass. Pours an amber orange color with a one finger white head. The head settled and clung to the sides of the glass where it left excellent lacing on the sides.

Aroma pretty hoppy with citrus, grapefruit, pineapple and pine all present in the nose. It also has a somewhat sweet aroma to it which I really like. It smells so fresh and delicious, it really showcases the hops better then any other beer I have had.

The taste is just as hoppy as the nose lets on. It has a good amount of pineapple and grapefruit flavors up front with more of a pine finish. There is a sweetness to it that is stronger up front and then is somewhat balanced out by the bitter pine finish. The alcohol is a little present in the finish, and it definitely gives you a warming feeling after a glass. They really do an excellent job on both this one and elder at getting that sweet flavor but also balance it out with the bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good especially for the abv. It's a very good tasting and smooth drinking beer which makes it very drinkable. It is pretty high in alcohol content and that is quite evident after drinking one glass so there is a definite limit on how much of this I want to drink.

Walked into one of favorite bars and there it was. I was very happy.

A- Orange, amber with a beauty of a white 2 finger head. I was surprised I did not see hops floating in the beer.

S- Huge pine, citrus (tangerine, grapefruit, orange) and hops.

T- Hops tons, a touch sweet and balanced very well with the malt backbone, resiney. A touch of alcohol that burns slighty. Amazing tasting beer.

M- Nice medium body with perfect carbonation that coats the mouth wonderfully.

D- 11%, no problem I threw back two of these in an hour and was ready for more. It was so smooth for what this is. Very easy to drink.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers. Amazing, and glad I got to try this one. A hop lovers wet dream.

4.65/5  rDev -0.6%

Infinitely huge thanks to generous Evan (beddachedda) for sending me a growler and being almost too fair in the trade when everyone else was getting shut out! You rock! Poured from the standard 2L Russian River sweet looking swingtop at Dave's place with a bunch of Chicago beer crew.

A: Pours a pretty clear orangy/yellowish amber color with multiple fingers of white frothy head.

S: Smells real floral, dank, and hoppy with sweet citrus and grapefruit notes. It's not super intense like some beers I've had but quite great smelling.

T: Tastes of sweet citrus abound in this hop bomb with a nice but subtle malt backbone. Flavors of grapefruit, floral, dank, and candy like flavors are present. There's a residual bitterness (punchy but not overwhelming) that simmers down over time.

M: The first few sips are somewhat resiny or oily almost, but then quickly becomes smooth. It's full bodied and viscous on the tongue due to above average carbonation, even out of the growler. Only a slight tingle in the throat on the way down though.

D: The more I drink, the easier it is to drink. Considering the potency of this beer it is amazing how sessionable it is. I keep yearning for more and more, which makes this a dangerously delicious brew with a deceptively low alcohol flavor despite a higher ABV.

4.53/5  rDev -3.2%

Big thanks to errantnight for hooking me up with this long time want.
Growler poured into a Sam Adams Pint glass produced a finger worth of white head, that goes to a nice ring of lace that slides down the glass. The body of the brew is a clear golden yellow to orange in color.

The first thing I notice at the cracking of the growler, was the hiss and the aromas of fresh hops. Big pine and cat piss (LOL) along with citrus and grasses. There is a wide rage of hop aromas coming from this one. One of the best noses from a DIPA I have ever smelled.
The flavor can best be described as Elder on steroids. I don't know if it's the malts that add balanced to this hop forward brew, or the alcohol warmth. There is a nice light orange flavor sweetness coming from the elixir. With the hop dryness holding back the alcohol warmth in the end. The brew has a medium feel to it with surprisingly good carbonation to it for a growler. A true testament to Derek stately care of this one.

Well I have a growler of this one to cherish for the whole day, and I didn't even have to stand in line at the EBF for it. I will make a few calls to see if anyone want to help finish this but I won't be to sad if I cant find anyone ;-)
I do know I won't be driving too much today though. Final thoughts... As an east coast guy I wish it was a little more balanced, but it is true to form for an west coast DIPA

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

Was lucky enough to be at Pizza Port San Clemente on Valentines night and got talking to the bartender. Great beer there as always. Well, the bartender told me they had two five gallon kegs waiting to go on tap. He didn't tell me it would be on at opening, but he also didn't think they would put it on later in the day.

So this guy spent the night sleeping in front of the door waiting for them to open. The wife and I walked in and gave the secret handshake and were presented with two, maybe 8 or 10 oz. pours of this luscious, amazing elixir.

I drank my first in less than two minutes because I didn't want them to run out. (There were only three other people in the bar). I was able to have four myself as well as the four my wife had.

I am very much able to handle strong beers, but let me tell you, these four youngers really did a number on my Monday.
Then I think back and wonder if the two jack and cokes I had before PP had anything to do with it.

Overall, I will say that this batch is as good as any of the others I have tried. It goes down well, and the alcohol is virtually unnoticed until a few hours later when it's time for a nap.

Enjoy it if you can...

4.47/5  rDev -4.5%

HUGE thanks to dukedevil0 for sharing this with the Chicago BA crew. Just an amazing display of awesomeness by Dave!

Pours an orangey copper with a tiny head.

Smells deep of citrus, pineapple. It's a real deep and inviting aroma. Almost like you're squeezing the fruit into the beer yourself.

All there with a malty balance. To me, this tastes nowhere near as good as it smells. It's not a hop bomb, much more balanced than I thought/wanted.

Medium carbonated and extremely drinkable for an 11% brew.

I was a little let down with this one. I much prefer fresh Elder, HopSpam and Sculpin to this. A damn fine beer but nothing to push grandmothers down for.

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

Hand bottle from LongBeachHopHead. I decided if I tasted any sort of trouble with the bottle I wouldn't review it. It landed on my doorstep today and I'm cracking it with friends to share the love.

A= pours a nuclear orange with minimal head. The head falls fast and leaves some decent lacing. The color is beautiful.

S= Big pine and grapefruit. Nice tropical fruit smells. Pineapple in it. Reminds me of hopslam a little bit.

T= This is where hopslam and this beer seperate. The hops in this are much more of a resiny hop. Loads of plant matter taste. Almost a fresh hop taste. I feel like I can taste some plant matter in it almost. Really big piney hops. The malts take a back seat to the hops for sure. Really nice taste on this baby.

M= Smooth and creamy. Slick and coating.

D= Perfect drinkabliity. One of the best DIPAs I've ever had. Thanks for the bottle. I'm glad I got the try it.

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

Had it on Tap three times now, tasting notes are from 2/9/10. Just had a glass about an hour ago and feel the notes I took are still accurate so here we go!

A - Pours a delightful honey color. Clean and clear looking, with a small foamy white head. Gentle lacing.

S - Super grassy piney notes. The smell is so full of hops, it almost smells like marijuana. The smell is not upsetting, but it is the best way I can describe it. There is just so much plant in there.

T - Sweet citrus taste at first. This is short lived, as a HUGE burst of grassy piney hops hit you in the mouth. There is a touch of sweet malt, but it is again quickly consumed by hops, this time, it is bitterness. The finish is dry and crisp. It is absolutely awesome.

M - Medium bodied beer with moderate to high carbonation. The bubbles are very fine, like a good champagne. Very nice.

D - Dangerously drinkable. No trace of alcohol in the taste. Super smooth and delicious. This is a beer I could, but shouldn't drink all night. My goodness, I wish it was made more than once a year. Glad I got to try it this year.

4.75/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver on Tuesday and was very lucky to have gotten the two glasses of it that I did as the first keg was gone after about 10 minutes, and the second very shortly thereafter.

Poured a great golden amber almost honey color with about three fingers of off-white head that lasted quite some time and laced very well as it went down the glass. Aroma was a strong citrus grapefruit smell with little alcohol present on the nose given the ABV. Taste is similar to the smell as the citrus grapefruit flavors are very prevalent, with some sweetness as well. Feel is smooth and slightly syrupy with a slight tickle of carbonation on the tongue. Overall the beer was great, and if more had been available could have been dangerous given the alcohol content combined with the enjoyability of this beverage.

A huge thanks to Matt (drabmuh) for sharing his growler with me!

Served in my Russian River pint glass.

A: Remarkably clear, beautifully light in color, effervescent, white fluffy head that leaves generous amounts of sticky lacing

S: Huge hop aroma with grapefruit, citrus, floral notes. Alcohol virtually non-detectable in the nose.

T: This beer is worth all the hype. Wow! Unbelievably smooth. Huge hops, no astringency, the bitterness and sweetness walk a tightrope of perfection. The taste hits you initially with smooth hops, then transitions to a sweet, sticky deliciousness that coats the palate, and finishes with a wonderful bitterness that begs to begin the sequence again.

M: Everything is perfect here - carbonation, freshness, this beer is phenomenal.

D: At 11%, this beer kicked my ass, and I loved it. I finished three pints, and would've hurt myself even worse if we didn't run out.

4.7/5  rDev +0.4%

A huge thanks to treyrab for sharing some of his growler with me! Couldn't wait to dig into this one after all I had heard about it and was eager to see what this beer was all about. Poured into my tulip glass...

A: Pours a rich copper color with minimal bubbles during a fairly aggressive pour. The head is slow to develop and it bubbles up from the depths of this beer to form a somewhat coarse half-finger head. The head lingers for a little while then completely vaporizes. Lacing comes in spiderweb-like patterns.

S: This beer is a masterpiece of hop use. Burying my nose in my glass, there is not even a slight hint of grassy or piney hops. My nose is inundated by huge citrus notes and mounds of bitterness. Grapefruit and orange dominate the aroma, coupled with a bitterness and balance that is nothing short of incredible.

T: The taste is almost the same as the aroma, with the notable exception that the taste also incorporates a piney hop bitterness in the finish. The grapefruit is really striking here, and it takes some of the focus away from the orangey hops. Alcohol is completely imperceptible. You couldn't hide it better if you tried.

M/D: As might be expected after the notable hop profile, the feel is somewhat sticky, syrupy, and resinous with hops. Incredibly smooth, this beer is very surprising. I didn't think that such a hopped-up beer could be so drinkable and balanced. The bitterness isn't overwhelming, and Russian River strikes a delicate balance between the bitter character of the hops and the flavors that they impart to the beer.

Overall an incredible beer.

4.38/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap at Malt and Vine in Redmond.

Pours a clear golden orange, very small head and pretty (but small) lacing. Small, attractive carbonation. Smell is excellent, hoppy and spicy and piny and honey.

Taste is surprising -- honey and floral, lots of hop bitterness, strong lingering bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and airy, quite drinkable, very pleasant beer, despite all the hype.

4.78/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer is definitely the pinnacle of IPA's. The IPA has a beautiful caramel color, similar to an old German Riesling and a wonderful hop aroma that makes you feel as if you're running through a field of hop vines. The taste embodies the classic characteristics of a West Coast IPA with strong presence of bittering hops resembling Chinook. The mouthfeel is amazing, very smooth and fully bodied with less carbonation than a typical West Coast which improves its drinkability. You can easily suck back several pints of the Younger without worrying that your taste buds will be recked. Overall, an amazing IPA worth the status of number one Beer on the Planet

4.47/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to jrallen34 who let me share his growler with him.

A - Very attractive looking beer, slightly dark, golden color, can see clear through on it. Bubbles cascade toward the top, bit of a head, that dissipated, left some bubbles on the side but not really much in the way of lacing. Growler opened with a pop, but it was 15 days in there so guessing there would have been a bigger head on a fresh one.

S - Smelled the pine notes from 3 feet out, but when I got to actually inspecting the nose it was not nearly as strong as I was anticipating. Pine dominates, no real citrus hops like I would have guessed. The pine is not overpoweringly bad like some of hop bombs though, it fades away to a nice sweet malt.

T - Pine and bitter right off the front end which fades into a decent sweetness before coming back with a some more piney hops and fading to a dry finish. Very complex, usually I consider a 3 stage beer a good thing, this one is a solid 4, maybe 5 if you count the return of the hops once the beer is gone from the mouth. Very nicely done. After a few swallows the bitterness is gone, and it's just piney and sweet, no real citrus that I can find though.

M - Smooth, nice finish. Carbonation was a little light, but assuming this is due to the growler.

D - 11%? Seriously? Could destroy this all day, don't even taste the alcohol. Dangerous, way too drinkable for the abv.

REVIEW 500!

I slayed a growler of this last night with the help of the other Matt. Weapon of choice was my Stone IPA tulip. I obtained a growler in a trade with great BA. As a result of our heroic undertaking, my mind is still not firing on all cylinders, but this is the best DIPA I've ever had and only my second straight 5.

Beer poured from a Russian River growler into a Stone IPA tulip. Beer is yellow to orange and CLEAR! The pour forms a white head about an inch to a half an inch in thickness that falls away leaving some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to high and really steady. The bubbles nucleate at the bottom of the glass mostly, beginning small but rise slowly increasing in size as they rise to the head. The head retention is good. No chill haze, beautiful color, good head dynamics, nice level of carbonation, its a beautiful beer.

Aroma is primarily a lot of hops....a lot of hops. Very citrusy with some pine notes in there. There is some sweetness, its a dominate aroma component. Its difficult but sometimes I think I can smell some alcohol but mostly I can not. For being such a huge beer, I really can't tell based on the aroma at all. The aroma is also huge. I can smell it from across the table. I found myself not even drinking it just smelling it, very complex, very big, very wonderful.

Taste time, balance. This beer hits all the parts of the palate, forward, middle and back. Obviously there is hop bitterness in the back, there is some sweetness up front, but no alcohol. Beer is medium bodied, definitely not a malt bomb like some DIPAs tend to be. There are almost fruit notes in the mid-palate. Some sweet orange or almost lime flavors. Beer finishes cleanly, leaving no aftertaste. Bitterness grows as it does with most big hoppy beers, but it does not interfere with the other flavors or drinkability.

I was going to originally rate the drinkability as a 4.5 for this beer. But I had some food between my pints of it and after some food a blew through my second pint. It is an amazingly balanced and completely wonderful IPA. At 11%, it is unlikely that I would make it my daily drinker, but it is the most dangerously drinkable 11% beer I've ever had.

EDIT: I had this again at EBF (4 ounce pour) and compared it side by side with Pliney the Elder. I realized as Matt and I were drinking this growler that it was an important but absent variable in my review is comparing it to another beer. We drug out an Exponential Hoppiness for comparison but it wasn't the right thing to do.

At the fest I had 4 ounces of each next to each other. My wife and I both tasted each and agreed that Younger was better than Elder. It was sweeter and thicker, had more fruit notes on the palate and smells were uncomparable. The hop aroma on Younger blew the hop aroma on Elder out of the water. I'm not going to write an additional review of this beer on draft, I just thought I would include these thoughts in my present review.

4.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Huge thanks to Dave for sharing this, never thought i'd try it.
Apparently review #1300...

Out of the sturdy genie bottle, it poured a golden yellow orange, with bright clarity and sticky residual lacing. Deeply resinous nose, almost cheesy, with a pleasant soft citrus undertone, and a touch of alcohol. Not super pungent, but very nice.

Floral and fruity citrus dominates, just a ton of grapefruit, softly bitter in the back, building to a dry firm bitterness in the finish. Super well balanced, soft and smooth feel. The bitterness is fairly easygoing, this wasn't as brutal as might be expected. Infinitely drinkable, a few snifters would be dangerous.

Overall this is a fantastic west coast DIPA, maybe not the Best of All Time, but one to seek out for sure. Thanks again Dave for the opportunity!

4.55/5  rDev -2.8%

Growler shared by Dave (dukedevil0), thank you sir! Poured into a tasting glass a couple of times.

A - Pours a golden/orange/copper color with a small white head. There's lots of lacing around the sides of the glass, sticky stuff! There's some head here and there on top of the beer, but just a hint here and there.

S - Very complex with lots going on here! Tropical fruit, smokey malts, straight-forward citrus, sweetness.

T - Mostly a malty sweetness mixed with a large amount of hops. The hops are def there, but it's not overdone. A nice bitter finish.

M - Light, smooth, clean finish. Nice carbonation, just frothy enough to let you know it's there but not enough to take away from the beer itself.

D - So so easy to drink, it's scary! Probably won't have another glass until 2011 unless I get lucky again.

I wasn't totally blown away by this beer as some others are. It's as good as Elder, probably neck and neck. Would have been nice to have them both for a side by side. I think I prefer Elder to Younger...

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

growler into balloon glass.

a- such a great coppery gold, very deep. Quite a large head, though I'm sure the balloon glass aided in that feature. Laces well.

s- such a big, great hop aroma. Obviously the focal point of this beer. Piney citrus all the way.

t- the best thing about this beer is it's clean flavor. I've never had an IPA this clean tasting (if that makes sense). A citrusy bitterness backed up with a balanced malt flavor. Very fresh.

m- not as carbonated as when i had it on tap (I think), but this might've been due to it's time in the growler. Medium carbonation.

d- this might be te only DIPA I've had that I can drink until passing out. Such a great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +0.4%

I drank this from RR growler into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a medium orange that is surprinsingly clear. The head rises about 3 fingers but falls quickly to a soapy cover. The lacing is light.

The aroma is much lighter than I had anticipated. The aroma is some hops mixed with a little pine and a bit of soap.

The taste is also pretty light, much lighter than I thought it would be. It starts off a little sweet then goes to a full bitterness throughout. When you start out its a little bitter, but as your drink it, it becomes very drinkable.

The feel is medium in body, a semi dry feel, and a very lasting flavor.

The drinkablility is very high. You can't notice the 11abv but its highly drinkablility.

Overall, this beer is really really good. Its smooth, drinkable, and a nice expenience. Its not overally hoppy which is nice. Is it the number 1 beer in the world, no? Is it the best ipa in the world, no? Is it a top 50 beer for me, yeah, its that good.

4.68/5  rDev 0%

A- A gloriously bright, clear golden beer. Sexy fluffy yet creamy head, lacing to die for. Really is beautiful in the tulip glass here at Pi Bar.

S- The epitome of IIPA. Explosive, clean hop punch to the nostrils.

T- A lot like Pliny. Bright, clean hop character. Just a touch of malt, but really all about the hops. Nice and dry. My only complaint is the slight taste of alcohol, though it's not bad for 10+%. Again, the epitome of IIPA. I almost prefer really fresh Elder as I find them similar minus the alcohol.

M- Perfect for the style, not too rich like the more barleywine-ish IIPAs, nice carbonation.

D- I could drink a couple of these, and that's more than I can say for a lot of beers this high in alcohol. You know you're drinking some big beer from the warming, but for what it is it's pretty exceptional.

4.38/5  rDev -6.4%

Growler shared by mreusch. Thanks! Served in a Boulevard Tank 7 glass. Poured a deep gold with a thin white head. Massive piney hop aroma. Flavor is dominated by hop bitterness as you would expect, but there is a solid malt base without being sweet. Very drinkable for the abv, alcohol was not very evident. Lots of hops without being too green in the flavor. Nice mouthfeel, medium to full bodied. Believe the hype.

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

A very generous growler gift from my pal, Arbitrator! Thanks a million, my friend...

The waxed lever top popped off and released a heady aroma of tropical fruit and resiny pine. Like Hop Stoopid, I could just sit here and sniff the bottle for awhile, no need to drink right away. My wife asked if am drinking Pine Sol. She sniffed the tulip a bit closer and said, "Wow!". The smell alone is intoxicating.

It poured a very generous foamy head and spread nearly perfect lacing around the glass interior. The foam dissipated quickly. It struck me as very dry, despite the fruit aroma overtones.

Massive hop bite, almost to the point of mint. The alcohol is clearly there but is cleverly masked by the herbal overlay. Thinner and less viscuous than expected but delivers a solid mouthfeel, nearly creamy. Not chewy like some I know...(Amnesia's and Laurelwood's products come to mind). Some scary level drinkability for an 11%er. Could put me on my ass easily.

I love the resin taste. A bit more honey than I usually prefer but it does add a nice compliment to the dry character. Vinnie really nailed the balance on this big boy. Crisp and spicy with just enough earthy balance in there to even things out. Sticky but not sappy. An amazing bit of brewing magic - well worth the hype.

Really a one of a kind Imperial/TIPA. Astounding.

3.85/5  rDev -17.7%

Lucky enough to have this on tap on a visit to Russian River.

Mmmmm. PTY, taste the hype.

A---Good looking beer, no doubt about it, not a ton of head but well laced with a awesome orange hue.

S---Yep, this has some hops in it, lots of pine and some fruit esters.

T---Complex with a lot going on besides the hops, citrus of course, mango? Pineapple? For being a hop-bomb, this has a very nice flavor and finish.

M---dry and tart with the hops finish

D---I will say up front, hop-bombs are not really my thing. I have had this beer on two separate occasions and if you are a hop-head, this is a very solid choice, I like it much more than the Elder, which pretty much reminds me of Pine-sol. I guess that is what is funny about styles, Pty is treated like it is the second coming of Jesus or something, it is not. Dont trade away your first born to get this, but certainly make an effort to get some if you enjoy this style!

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Growler from my sister who has relocated to Napa who happened upon the event per my begging.

A- As has been stated before, much lighter than I expected, looks like liquid gold. 1 finger head with great lacing. Nice carbonation, especially considering it spent a week on it's way across the country.

S- Hop smack to the face, I went cross eyed and laughed. Amazing aroma. Pine with fruit and floral notes.

T- Heavy citrus hops on the front. Some tropical in the middle with a nice pine in the finish. Slightly boozy. I hop orgasm.

M- Remarkably dry for a beer this big, great carbonation even from a growler.

D- I got pretty silly pretty quick, not sure if it was the excitement, the hops ripping through my system, or the 11% ABV. None the less, if this beer was available year round, I'm not sure I would drink anything else.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company