Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,057
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
GJ40

4.95/5  rDev +5.5%

Sampled from a growler in my Double Mountain tulip pint glass.

A - RR has a pretty outstanding growler. I really thought a genie was going to come out. The beer itself is golden and quite clear with a thick white head and nice lacing.

S - Wonderful floral and citrusy hops. It was everything I expected from RR.

T - Loads of hop presence. It starts with a strong attack of hops oils and rich hop flavor but a citrusy bitterness increases over time. The alcohol is always lurking in the background but the hops keep it at bay (until the next morning). I had high expectations for this one and it certainly lived up to them.

M - Good consistency with an almost oily quality that makes it slide right down. Nice carbonation with a moderate level of very fine bubbles.

D - A powerful and compelling beer. I found it comparable to Hop Slam yet very unique. And all of this from a growler shipped across the country. I can only imagine how good it is straight out of the tap.

02-17-2009 11:21:11 | More by GJ40
PDXHops

South Carolina

3.43/5  rDev -26.9%

Thanks to a hot tip, I got to enjoy a couple of the first glasses poured at the Horse Brass Pub. Served in a small nonic glass.

Pours bright and light golden orange with an almost pure white head. The head is ~3/4 of a finger, and with some gentle swirling lingers pretty well considering the ABV. A little bit of lacing is teased, but drips back in.

Loads of pine and grapefruit aromas, plenty of sweeter tangerine, peach(?) and floral notes, with quite a bit of alcohol weaving through it all. I can only imagine how great this would smell in a big snifter. Served in a nonic glass is no way to show it off, though. Really had to dig in there to enjoy the bouquet, literally getting my nose wet a couple of times.

There's not much of the sweet fruitiness I was excpecting based on the smell, but there's a ton of pine and grapefruit. The balancing sweetness tastes not of caramel or even light malt, but rather like simple syrup. Odd- it doesn't complement the bitterness very well. As it warms, the alcohol becomes increasingly pronounced and distracting. Pronounced alcohol burn as it warms up. Booziness aside, it's not as big and aggressive as I expected (I definitely prefer the Elder).

Mouthfeel is decent. There's a slick/oily quality that, in combo with gentle carbonation, smooths out the substantial ABV. However, it doesn't disguise a distracting sugary stickiness left on the palate in the finish (sticky hops= good, sticky sugar= bad). Not nearly as raw and angry as expected from a beer with this much hops.

Drinkability is OK, but not great for me based on the sugary stickiness, weird sweetness(tasted at times like straight simple syrup instead of light malt) and, to a lesser degree, the alcohol burn.

Overall impression: Glad I got a chance to give it a try without promising my firstborn for a growler trade. Intense and pretty enjoyable, but doesn't live up to mystique (and isn't even the best DIPA from Russian River).

02-17-2009 05:03:21 | More by PDXHops
popery

Wonderful. It's chock full of hop flavor. I've had a number of DIPAs, and this beer expresses hop flavor better than any beer that I've ever tasted.

I'm currently tasting this beer against Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig. It's an interesting comparison, but the flavor profiles are quite similar. Pliny the Younger tastes a lot like Pliny the Elder, just as Blind Pig tastes like Pliny the Elder. Each beer steps up the strength and intensity of hop flavor. Blind Pig to Pliny the Elder is a smaller step than Elder to Younger but not substantially so.

Hops are the star in the flavor department. They are citric, piny and very floral. The citrus is grapefruit, orange and tangerine mixed with pineapple. The pine is dark and resiny, like sap. I don't know flowers well enough to identify the floral aspect beyond wonderful wildflowers.

There is a strong malt backbone that allows this much hop flavor to come through. Is this beer balanced? I would say so, but the malt does not express the same complexity and assertiveness of the hops. That is not to say the malt isn't strong or is bad. The malt is actually wonderful. It's like a caramel cookie swirled into a fine hop tea.

The alcohol is in this beer is exceptionally well-hidden. I'm giving this beer a perfect score, in part, because I can't imagine a way that this beer could be differ and be better for it. I say that because I can't imagine this beer without the same strength. I guess the alcohol is present, but it's not unpleasant in any way.

The color is very close to Elder and Blind Pig, which is to say golden-amber and wonderful. The aroma is very hoppy, with the flavors as previously described. The feel is also exceptional, almost oily with hop essence. Sorry, just trying to get through the other categories.

I should probably end this as I just finished my second glass out of the growler (not to mention some Blind Pig and Elder), and I can certainly feel it. It's a great beer. Try it if you can. I hope that they start bottling it. I can't imagine that they couldn't turn a profit on bottles. I know it's expensive to produce, but you can charge a pretty penny nowadays for a bottle of beer. Anyway, great beer.

02-17-2009 02:19:25 | More by popery
flexabull

4.78/5  rDev +1.9%

I finally got to try the elusive Younger of the Plineys.

I walked into a jam packed Toronado on Friday the 13th, and found about 10 Russian River beers on tap... YES! I started with this one, and it turned out that it was a hell of a way to start the night.

Pours a bright gold color, quite clear, with a nice off white head.

Aromas are off the charts. There is a huge blast of pineapple, maybe the most I have ever noticed in a beer. Also some really sticky resins and pine. This smells like a glass full of smashed fresh hops.

Taste follows along the with the aromas, and is big. Lots of pineapple, fresh resins, pine, and other giant hop flavors. The malts are there, and they provide a nice thick slightly sweet creamy backdrop. This is easily the biggest hop bomb I have ever had. But it's not just a bomb, it's an expertly balanced and put together beer. It's just really BIG.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Big, thick, and full... just like the smell and taste.

Drinkability is quite good. But is still this beer only "fault". (I say that rather loosely) After this one, it was hard to drink anything else, or much more. I had a couple of other beers, but not only did they pale it comparison, but they were about all I could handle. I am partly to blame by starting with this one. But I didn't want to wait when I saw this on the Toronado's beer board.

Really... an unbelievably hoppy beer. And I am so glad I got to try it, and I'll be excited to get this on a more constant basis next year. But all in all? I think I like the older Pliney a tad bit better than this. And that's only because the Elder get's a 5 on drinkability, and this one is pretty much a one and done. But, a hell of a "one" this is.

02-16-2009 06:12:50 | More by flexabull
mikedashg

4.72/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at at Downtown Johnny Browns on 02/15/09

Appearance: Very clear/transparent yellow. A little on the golden orange side. With a mildly sized fluffy white head.

Smell: HUGE amounts of citris/grapefruit and hops.

Taste: Similar to nose. The grapefruit and hops in this one are outstanding and very present. Very bitter as a double IPA should be. But it doesn't totally dominate like some Double IPAs. It has a good balance with a sweet malt taste, and little pine flavor as well. Alcohol is well hidden and not boozy by any means.

Mouthfeel: Nice and crisp. Perfect balance of carbonation and overall mouthfeel. Not thin by any means, but also not too heavy. It's just right. Medium all around.

Drinkability: I wanted more of this one, but at 11% and having to drive, one is plenty. It's very smooth and tasty though. Wish I had a designated driver.

Overall: Fine example of a double IPA. Maybe a little more malt and I would say it was perfectly balanced. But I don't think a double IPA should be. Fantastic one that deserves all the hype.

02-16-2009 01:51:38 | More by mikedashg
macktbone

All Hail RR

Enjoyed at the Brewery on the opening day 09.
Poured unfortunately in a 10oz glass..I need More

Drinkability...I could live on a Pliny I.V.

Golden amber in color it falls in a very in between stage that I don't think is my favorite. Those at the bar are questioning wether or not it has been drunk already.
Good constant flow of carbonation without disturbing the head. It flows up directly from the bootom of the glass and sits just below the head.

Smell...well, HOPS!!!! The Elder on crack.

T- stands for "Takes my breath away". Woody, lots of earthen flavor, slightly fruity and of course citrus.

Mouthfeel is good and the carbonation builds the after kick of hops very well. Fakes some spice then bobs and weaves into a barrel of hops.

I love this beer but deffinately not for the Young beer drinker, regardless of the name.
Young IPA'ers stay away for a while. You will regret how much you'll love it.

02-15-2009 22:20:31 | More by macktbone
walows

4.97/5  rDev +6%

Oh my!! This beer was hands down the most amazing beer i have ever had. This beer sent me to beer heaven. I feel really bad for the beers that i haven't tried yet because they don't stand a chance!

Appearance: I wonderful golden color, with a very night tight white head that was about an inch thick. It laced all the way down.
Smell: This beer was so pungent! It smelled of those wonderful little hop flowers and lots of them! First comes the malty sweetness, like caramel and the hops come in, which smelled like if you blended a grapefruit and a pine tree together.
Taste: Tasted just how it smelled, tasted as if you blended grapefruit and pine needles together. It had a wonderful sweet caramel malty taste and the hops come running in, it was so wonderfully bitter! Following this wonderful parade was a nice alcohol hotness. The aftertaste was my favorite part of this beer, the hops just got stuck all over my mouth and it was such a great experience.
Mouthfeel: This beer sat on my palette just so amazing. It was so thick and sticky with hops! You could chew this beer!
Drinkability: Even though this beer was very high in alcohol and was so thick and sticky, this beer was very drinkable, it was scary easy to drink. What an amazing beer!

I thought that i total lost my chance to try this beer, but i got so lucky and was a the right place at the right time and got the the first pour off the freshly tapped keg. I thought that this beer was all hype, but i was so wrong! This beer was AMAZING!

02-15-2009 20:52:55 | More by walows
DrDogbeer

4.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Wow! That is all I can say about this beer. I think I said it about 14 times while sampling it. HUGE thanks to Swnicholson for the growler!!!!
A sloppy pour from the funky growler produced a crystal clear, dark yellow body with a huge , pillowy, snow-white head.
There are not any IIPA's with an aroma this strong. Noticeable right after popping the growler. Resiny, piney and citrusy. Tons of tangerine, orange, pineapple on the nose. I could seriously just smell this beer all day long. Flavor is enormous. TOns of hops! Not too much in the malt department to mellow it out, but it remains extremely well balanced. This beer punishes your tongue, but my tongue begs for more! Slick, oily mouthfeel that completely coats your mouth. At 11% this beer is dangerously drinkable. Had a glass friday nite and a few more saturday. Damn sad to see this one go. :(

02-15-2009 14:12:43 | More by DrDogbeer
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

ok.... i have waited almost 2 years to try this. HUGE thanks to my homie for sending me this in his own growler!

pours straight up copper with thick white head and leaves an INCREDIBLE lacing pattern behind.

scent is actually more muted than i expected, VERY citrus with grapefruit being dominant.

taste is so balanced for what this is. smooth hop flavor that is bitter like a red grapefruit concentrate. the carbonation quickly releases the flavors. starts out smooth and ends with a sharp bitterness that quickly fades into red grapefruit. i even caught what appeared to be white pepper for a few seconds.

very full bodied, thick, oily, with a medium to moderate carbonation

this is VERY drinkable however at 11%, be wary!

i am VERY happy that i get a 4 day weekend to enjoy this, then bask in all its glory!

02-15-2009 01:34:34 | More by hooliganlife
bbothen

4.65/5  rDev -0.9%

Dont know what else can be said about this one.

Clear golden rust like color. Thick white 2 finger deep head. Leaves plenty of sticky lacing & webbing on glass.

Intense pine & citrus hoppiness. Tree, grass, earth, spruce. Faint maltiness & booziness.

First off. Amazingly balanced between the huge hop presence and sweet malt. Estery, sticky, oily, sweet, bitter. 11% makes itself known. Just go try it for yourself.

Thick, syrupy, medium full, coating, moderate carbonation.

For an 11% monster...it's highly drinkable. Probably because it's DELICIOUS. Although after 2, you may second guess ordering another.

Try this one. Duh.

02-15-2009 00:17:44 | More by bbothen
srandycarter

4.7/5  rDev +0.2%

10 oz pour from Johnny Brown's in San Diego

A - Crystal Clear light honey, thick, dense 1" head. Tons of lacing that lasts throughout the beer. Nice retention.

S - A nose full of hops. I got grapefruit/citrus and pine in massive amounts, seasoned with a little sweet malt smell.

T - Hardcore battle between the sweet malt and the hops; each presenting itself several times, finishing with a dry hoppy smack. Wonderful balance of flavors.

M - Med body, good carb and coating.

D - Dangerous. I caught a buzz off the 10 oz and I was ready for two more!

02-14-2009 05:30:15 | More by srandycarter
Proteus93

4.2/5  rDev -10.4%

With CrellMoset's before mine, it would make this #200 on here. Shared with Chris and dkachur with Clare.

A: It is an pretty clean amber. Nice creamy head that has great retention, and a nice spotting of lace.

S: A fruity and floral aroma - peach, pear, clementines. A sweet citrus scent and a scent similar to that in a florists shop.

T: Fruity sweetness is not as apparent in the flavour. It's a lot more piney on the palate, with a soft fruit peel flavour. Very little alcohol, quite smooth despite the hefty bitterness.

M + D: Body is medium and slightly tacky. A tasty beer, though admittedly I prefer the Elder, and found the scent to be more attractive than the flavour. I do look forward to another opportunity to drink it.

02-14-2009 05:26:21 | More by Proteus93
CrellMoset

4.4/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Growler courtesy of urwatuh8 - many, many thanks for perhaps my #1 want. Split several ways w/ dkachur, proteus93, and one other friend (who has just begun to appreciate DIPAs - beeradvocacy at work!!).

Appearance: Pours a golden bronze body, gorgeously crisp and clear, with occasional sparse, slow, medium-sized carbonation. The head on this one is very attractive - it's a creamy snow-white, an initial finger-and-a-half high, and has above average retention. It in fact never really fades beyond a healthy thick dusting of snow and a firm, spongy collar. The lacing is similarly attractive, strewing waves and chunks of foamy, occasionally glittery lace all over the place.

Aroma: Very reminiscent of HopSlam, actually. It's incredibly citrusy and fruity - definite apricot, pineapple, strawberries, peach, white grapefruit, blood oranges all make themselves known throughout the course of the sip. It's also fantastically sweet, with notes of honey, tons of pale, saccharine sweetness. The loss of half a point is due to - upon intense, intense inspection - the emergence of a faint whiff of ethanol, light and spicy, and though not imbalanced with the other notes. This one's borderline 4.0, IMO, if only because I get almost the same thing out of HopSlam, with no alcohol there.

Taste: Massive bitterness up front and throughout, though it's a very soft, gentle, well-balanced bitterness. It melds fantastically well with the intense, large, biting citrus, grapefruit, ruby red grapefruit, tons of tropical fruits, and backed up by a big, bold, simplistically sweet malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: Wonderfully smooth and even, with a moderate, subtle carbonation, a surprisingly moderately-viscous body - i.e., I would expect it to be a lot thicker given the amount of malt that had to be pumped into this one - gentle, and subtle, pleasant, nice.

Drinkability: I actually liked the Pliny the Elder better, I do believe, though they're really, truly very different brews. The Elder seems to be a far less balanced brew, actually, with a far more herbal, minty, hop-forward nose than this brew. This one's balanced, but bigger all-around, and (in my personal opinion), the sum of its parts is just a little less overall than the Elder. That's not to say this isn't a fantastic beer - it's stellar, amazing, well-crafted. If you like balanced beer and HUGE beers, this one's for you - it's big, tasty, aromatic, well in-proportion with itself, and just all around amazing. I give many, many thanks to urwatuh8 for the growler of this fantastic brew. As an aside, the Russian River growlers are super-awesome sexy - sort of low to the ground, squat, maybe like a Russian babushka? Regardless, if I lived in Cali, I'd move into RR for this one. As it stands, I'll likely only try it once, and was very, very glad to do so.

02-14-2009 05:22:38 | More by CrellMoset
DoubleJ

4.78/5  rDev +1.9%

2009 version. I've had this year's version a couple times, at Beachwood BBQ and Verdugo Bar. The hop aroma is much more pungnet in the nose than I remember, and I can taste a smoother, more balanced beer in this year's version. Some caramel and bready notes emerge alongside with the intense, puckering hops, and it's slightly cleaner too. Overall, I like 2009's version a little more than the 2008 version, and the latter was pretty awesome as well.

2/13/08 (4.5/4.5/5/5/4.5)

I was fortunate to hear this beer would be on tap at Hollingshead's this week. I raced over this afternoon and grabbed a 12 ounce sample, which was poured into a goblet. On to the beer:

The beer glows a deep orange color. Aroma was very hoppy, lots of metallic smelling hops at first, but it mellowed out to be sweeter as it warmed. My first impression on this beer was that it isn't as "intense" as one might think. Extremely smooth and syrupy thick on the palate. All I could think of was hop juice, yet still has a nice balance to it. The long lingering flavor of hops comes to no surprise.

What else? If you find this, savor the flavor, and enjoy!

02-13-2009 18:08:42 | More by DoubleJ
RustyDiamond

Georgia

Half pint at Russian River on 02.06.09. Board behind bar listed PiY as 10.5% with GOBS under the I.B.U. One of the most unique colors of beer I have ever seen. No head in sight and the glass was glowing orange. All I could do was stare for a few minutes. While doing this, I could smell Younger from a foot away. Crazy giant boozy grapefruit whiffs. Really. Chewy as hell. Grapefruit taffy. Cascade spearmint jolly rancher. Enormous whopper of a DIPA. Exceptionally drinkable for the size. Had a tulip of Younger Sunday night @ Toronado and could have had 6 more. But what's the point? This beer is the shit.

02-13-2009 17:58:17 | More by RustyDiamond
nrbw23

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

A- Pours a super bright, crystal clear golden orange with a nice white head. Not too much in the lacing area though the only thing holding it back.

S- As soon as I popped the growler top of this one I could smell it. Plenty of hops here and that's what I like piney and grapefruit all over the place here. A touch of sweet malts but the hops rule this one.

T- Hops again rule this one. Hops are very consistent through out the drink and its incredibly balanced. The alcohol is hidden very well.

M- Medium in body and perfect carbonation. This one feels well perfect.

D- Highly recommended. I love this beer and wish I could get it more often. Clearly worth the hype and very solid.

Thanks again Jason!!!

02-13-2009 12:11:32 | More by nrbw23
rallison

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Alright, time to review this beer finally. Current batch is drier than the last batch with less sweetness apparent from the malt. Citrusy and resiny hops just dance on your tongue with a beautifully filling yet light malt profile. This does live up to the hype. Better than last year as well. I'm loving this. So go, get yourself a pint of this beautiful beer.

02-13-2009 09:48:40 | More by rallison
PeprSprYoFace

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Finally got to have a pint of this one. On tap at Pizza Port San Clemente.

Appearance is beautiful. Nice creamy looking head. Beautiful color and clear as a bell. the lacing sticks to the glass almost so much you can't see through the glass.

Smell is awesome. Lots of pine sents and awesome hop aroma. Although I think the bottle of Elder I poured the other day had more hop aroma than the younger.

Taste is great. Nice and malty. The malts are wonderful. The hops and malts balance so well. But I wish there was as much hop flavour as the elder I have had. Call me spoiled or picky since I have access to these wonderful beers but I kind of like elder better because of the hop flavour and aroma. The malts on the younger are very nice though.

Mouthfeel is perfect. I love the carbonation to malt ratio. Perfect for the style.

Drinkability is really high but after one on an empty stomach, I'm pretty buzzed. But I'm going to drink at least 3 more before the night is over. Good thing my pizza came.

02-13-2009 03:50:28 | More by PeprSprYoFace
paco1029384756

4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to urwatuh8 for the growler.

Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of foamy white head.

Scent of huge piny hops, grapefruit, citrus, honey and a bit of caramel. Extremely hoppy, but it doesn't matter, this stuff smells so damn good.

Taste is very hoppy, lots of grapefruit and citrus, honey, and a hint of caramel, there is a hint of alcohol, but nothing that would suggest 11%. Finishes with a lasting flavor of delicious hops. One of the few 'Holy fuck' beers I've had, worth the price, a growler was not enough, I must have more.

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied with a good bite from the carbonation.

02-13-2009 00:59:11 | More by paco1029384756
callmescraps

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Finally got my hands on this one. Called Father's Office, found out it was finally in, and practically threw the lady in the car and raced off. I was not about to miss this.

Appearance - Light orangish. I definitely got the "it glows" thing. It was very nice and clear, with 1-2 inches of whispy head that settled down in a couple minutes. Not a super rich color, but very bright and nice.

Smell - Plenty of hops. Some real pine and grapefruit. Also some lemon/citrus. There's also a little bit of a malt back behind all those hops. Very nice and balanced, but no explosion.

Taste - Very, very balanced. There's that hoppy citrusness, but also some real malt hanging around. There's a bready-ness that I did not see coming. Not too astringent, and the alcohol is nowhere to be seen. That said, the aftertaste is a little tough, a sharp bitterness that sort of clings. Overall, it was one of the more balanced DIPA's you'll find.

Mouthfeel - Really great. Very crisp, not syrupy at all. Just about perfection.

Drinkability - Lethal. Definitely went down faster than planned, although it does begin to accumulate a little. Still, with such a high abv it's incredibly smooth. Even the lady, not a big fan of hops, thought that this one was very, very drinkable. That about says it all.

A very nice beer. Great even. Of course, there was no way it could live up to the hype. I'm not sure anything could. It was very, very drinkable. Still, it seemed a little thin? There was a level it did not quite go, but I think that's how it ends up being so balanced. I'm really glad I tried this one, and I really admire the craftsmanship. One of the better DIPA's you're going to get anywhere.

If you ever see it on tap, pounce! That said, your life can complete without ever having tried it. I'm a fan, definitely.

02-12-2009 04:06:50 | More by callmescraps
MasterSki

4.68/5  rDev -0.2%

An incredibly huge thanks to Adam (Nanoslug) for sending a fresh growler of this to me. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Three fingers of creamy-white foam, with incredible retention and gorgeous lacing. Semi-transparent gold, with tiny bubbles slowly lazily & rising upwards. This is the standard by which DIPAs are measured.

S - Huge, complex bouquet of flavors - mossy pine, fresh-cut grass, tangerine, Braeburn apple, grapefruit, and a touch of pineapple. Mild touch of malt in the background, but this is a huge hopbomb.

T - Incredible balance - great fresh hoppiness and sweet tropical fruit flavors, but also more malt than the smell let on. Sweet and hoppy aftertaste that keeps me reaching for the glass. Only the tiniest hint of the 11% ABV.

M - Medium viscosity, reasonable carbonation. Smooth and creamy, with just a touch of tingling. Leaves a sticky resinous feeling after swallowing. Not sure what else I can ask for in a DIPA.

D - This is the most drinkable 11% beer I've ever had. The only thing that would keep me from filling up my glass is passing out.

This is incredible stuff - it takes all the things I love about Pliny the Elder but the nth degree. This is a must try for all lovers of beer.

02-12-2009 03:47:12 | More by MasterSki
tjthresh

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%

22 ounce hand bottle shared by Bobby91w. Pours bright sunny yellow with good whit head. Dank pine and Juicy Fruit nose. Just a big bold blend of hop goodness. Medium body. Balanced finish. Certainly a great beer, I'm just not sure it lived up to my expectations.

02-11-2009 13:22:57 | More by tjthresh
hophead247

Poured from a tap into a 4 ounce taster glass...Finally had my chance to taste The Younger, and oh my GOD, what a day to remember. First the sample, then meeting Vinnie...the brewer himself.

This ale poured an amber color with a nice thick white head. Like the Elder, this ale was very clear and clean with no sediment at all.
The smell was of fresh hops...citrusy and crisp. One word describes the taste...PHENOMENAL!!! Like the Elder, this ale hides its alcohol content very well and has the perfect balance of malts and hops. I wanted to ask Vinnie how he does it, but refrained. At 10.75% I thought this would be tougher to drink, but I was wrong. It's definitely not one to chug, but to savor, for this is one ale that people will remember for years to come.

02-11-2009 05:51:36 | More by hophead247
rhinos00

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +2.3%

Huge thanks to Scott (swnicholson) for scoring a growler of this for me. Poured from a cool looking growler into my Corsedonk tulip glass.

A- Pours a beautiful golden amber that just seems to have a glowing aura around it. Visibility is crystal clear and produces a huge three fingers width of white head that lasts throughout consumption.

S- Huge scents of piney hops infiltrate the nostrils. The aroma is just so clean it seems to cut through the air. There is a subtle citrus sweetness that attempts to balance the piney aroma, but to no avail.

T- Piney hops assault the tongue and hold it captive. As the beer warms up, the piney taste becomes less aggressive, allowing for the citrus flavors to kick in.

M- Clean, carbonated and medium bodied. Can't ask for much more in a DIPA.

D- After one glass of this, I was definitely feeling the effects. There is also a warming sensation that comes with this one.

Overall, an absolutely fantastic DIPA that it truly worthy of its praise. Younger is bigger and bolder than Elder, giving off a far more piney taste. As such, it is a beer that I would go out of the way for to drink on a special occasion. However, I don't think I would be able to drink this on a daily basis, unlike Elder. If you have the opportunity, definitely try this one.

02-11-2009 00:46:51 | More by rhinos00
mj001jk

4.93/5  rDev +5.1%

I have waited over a year since I moved to the Bay area to have this beer and I was at Toronado the day they received the kegs. RR delivers on Thursdays to Toronado btw...might be good to know from time to time.

Needless to say I was trembling with anticipation and arrived a little before my drinking and brewing buddy so I couldn't order one by myself quite yet so I decided to warm my palate with a Blind Pig.

When the Younger arrived I was smitten by the smell, intense resinous hops, grapefruit, orange, grass, pine resin and some real dank chronic. The onslaught of hops is smoothed out by a richness of malts, a tiny bit of caramel and toffee with cream. It is intense alright and the alcohol is definitely there, but it is not overpowering. A little bit like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand, definitely there but you can easily forget it is...at least after a few glasses.

Taste-wise I was let down a little, as good as it is, there are still some things that pull it down from a perfect score. It is a little brutish and lacking elegance, but perhaps I am crazy for saying that, but I kept thinking that I may actually like the Elder better. It was also slightly under-carbonated for my taste.

All in all it is a World-class beer, probably like nothing you've ever had before so I highly recommend trying it. If I had my way I would start the evening with a regular RR IPA which is amazing, move on to Blind Pig, Pliny The Elder and finishing off with Pliny The Younger. That encompasses all the foreplay, action and climax a hophead could ever wish for.

I stayed at Toronado for 5 hours and can safely say I have not been THAT hung over for years...I was hyperventilating until noon the next day. Great stuff!!!

OK, now I've had it 2 years in a row and I revised my review. It is fantastic, better the second year. Enough said.

02-10-2009 18:10:42 | More by mj001jk