Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,831
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer is definitely the pinnacle of IPA's. The IPA has a beautiful caramel color, similar to an old German Riesling and a wonderful hop aroma that makes you feel as if you're running through a field of hop vines. The taste embodies the classic characteristics of a West Coast IPA with strong presence of bittering hops resembling Chinook. The mouthfeel is amazing, very smooth and fully bodied with less carbonation than a typical West Coast which improves its drinkability. You can easily suck back several pints of the Younger without worrying that your taste buds will be recked. Overall, an amazing IPA worth the status of number one Beer on the Planet

4.45/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to jrallen34 who let me share his growler with him.

A - Very attractive looking beer, slightly dark, golden color, can see clear through on it. Bubbles cascade toward the top, bit of a head, that dissipated, left some bubbles on the side but not really much in the way of lacing. Growler opened with a pop, but it was 15 days in there so guessing there would have been a bigger head on a fresh one.

S - Smelled the pine notes from 3 feet out, but when I got to actually inspecting the nose it was not nearly as strong as I was anticipating. Pine dominates, no real citrus hops like I would have guessed. The pine is not overpoweringly bad like some of hop bombs though, it fades away to a nice sweet malt.

T - Pine and bitter right off the front end which fades into a decent sweetness before coming back with a some more piney hops and fading to a dry finish. Very complex, usually I consider a 3 stage beer a good thing, this one is a solid 4, maybe 5 if you count the return of the hops once the beer is gone from the mouth. Very nicely done. After a few swallows the bitterness is gone, and it's just piney and sweet, no real citrus that I can find though.

M - Smooth, nice finish. Carbonation was a little light, but assuming this is due to the growler.

D - 11%? Seriously? Could destroy this all day, don't even taste the alcohol. Dangerous, way too drinkable for the abv.

REVIEW 500!

I slayed a growler of this last night with the help of the other Matt. Weapon of choice was my Stone IPA tulip. I obtained a growler in a trade with great BA. As a result of our heroic undertaking, my mind is still not firing on all cylinders, but this is the best DIPA I've ever had and only my second straight 5.

Beer poured from a Russian River growler into a Stone IPA tulip. Beer is yellow to orange and CLEAR! The pour forms a white head about an inch to a half an inch in thickness that falls away leaving some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to high and really steady. The bubbles nucleate at the bottom of the glass mostly, beginning small but rise slowly increasing in size as they rise to the head. The head retention is good. No chill haze, beautiful color, good head dynamics, nice level of carbonation, its a beautiful beer.

Aroma is primarily a lot of hops....a lot of hops. Very citrusy with some pine notes in there. There is some sweetness, its a dominate aroma component. Its difficult but sometimes I think I can smell some alcohol but mostly I can not. For being such a huge beer, I really can't tell based on the aroma at all. The aroma is also huge. I can smell it from across the table. I found myself not even drinking it just smelling it, very complex, very big, very wonderful.

Taste time, balance. This beer hits all the parts of the palate, forward, middle and back. Obviously there is hop bitterness in the back, there is some sweetness up front, but no alcohol. Beer is medium bodied, definitely not a malt bomb like some DIPAs tend to be. There are almost fruit notes in the mid-palate. Some sweet orange or almost lime flavors. Beer finishes cleanly, leaving no aftertaste. Bitterness grows as it does with most big hoppy beers, but it does not interfere with the other flavors or drinkability.

I was going to originally rate the drinkability as a 4.5 for this beer. But I had some food between my pints of it and after some food a blew through my second pint. It is an amazingly balanced and completely wonderful IPA. At 11%, it is unlikely that I would make it my daily drinker, but it is the most dangerously drinkable 11% beer I've ever had.

EDIT: I had this again at EBF (4 ounce pour) and compared it side by side with Pliney the Elder. I realized as Matt and I were drinking this growler that it was an important but absent variable in my review is comparing it to another beer. We drug out an Exponential Hoppiness for comparison but it wasn't the right thing to do.

At the fest I had 4 ounces of each next to each other. My wife and I both tasted each and agreed that Younger was better than Elder. It was sweeter and thicker, had more fruit notes on the palate and smells were uncomparable. The hop aroma on Younger blew the hop aroma on Elder out of the water. I'm not going to write an additional review of this beer on draft, I just thought I would include these thoughts in my present review.

4.62/5  rDev -1.3%

Huge thanks to Dave for sharing this, never thought i'd try it.
Apparently review #1300...

Out of the sturdy genie bottle, it poured a golden yellow orange, with bright clarity and sticky residual lacing. Deeply resinous nose, almost cheesy, with a pleasant soft citrus undertone, and a touch of alcohol. Not super pungent, but very nice.

Floral and fruity citrus dominates, just a ton of grapefruit, softly bitter in the back, building to a dry firm bitterness in the finish. Super well balanced, soft and smooth feel. The bitterness is fairly easygoing, this wasn't as brutal as might be expected. Infinitely drinkable, a few snifters would be dangerous.

Overall this is a fantastic west coast DIPA, maybe not the Best of All Time, but one to seek out for sure. Thanks again Dave for the opportunity!

4.55/5  rDev -2.8%

Growler shared by Dave (dukedevil0), thank you sir! Poured into a tasting glass a couple of times.

A - Pours a golden/orange/copper color with a small white head. There's lots of lacing around the sides of the glass, sticky stuff! There's some head here and there on top of the beer, but just a hint here and there.

S - Very complex with lots going on here! Tropical fruit, smokey malts, straight-forward citrus, sweetness.

T - Mostly a malty sweetness mixed with a large amount of hops. The hops are def there, but it's not overdone. A nice bitter finish.

M - Light, smooth, clean finish. Nice carbonation, just frothy enough to let you know it's there but not enough to take away from the beer itself.

D - So so easy to drink, it's scary! Probably won't have another glass until 2011 unless I get lucky again.

I wasn't totally blown away by this beer as some others are. It's as good as Elder, probably neck and neck. Would have been nice to have them both for a side by side. I think I prefer Elder to Younger...

4.92/5  rDev +5.1%

growler into balloon glass.

a- such a great coppery gold, very deep. Quite a large head, though I'm sure the balloon glass aided in that feature. Laces well.

s- such a big, great hop aroma. Obviously the focal point of this beer. Piney citrus all the way.

t- the best thing about this beer is it's clean flavor. I've never had an IPA this clean tasting (if that makes sense). A citrusy bitterness backed up with a balanced malt flavor. Very fresh.

m- not as carbonated as when i had it on tap (I think), but this might've been due to it's time in the growler. Medium carbonation.

d- this might be te only DIPA I've had that I can drink until passing out. Such a great beer.

4.65/5  rDev -0.6%

I drank this from RR growler into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a medium orange that is surprinsingly clear. The head rises about 3 fingers but falls quickly to a soapy cover. The lacing is light.

The aroma is much lighter than I had anticipated. The aroma is some hops mixed with a little pine and a bit of soap.

The taste is also pretty light, much lighter than I thought it would be. It starts off a little sweet then goes to a full bitterness throughout. When you start out its a little bitter, but as your drink it, it becomes very drinkable.

The feel is medium in body, a semi dry feel, and a very lasting flavor.

The drinkablility is very high. You can't notice the 11abv but its highly drinkablility.

Overall, this beer is really really good. Its smooth, drinkable, and a nice expenience. Its not overally hoppy which is nice. Is it the number 1 beer in the world, no? Is it the best ipa in the world, no? Is it a top 50 beer for me, yeah, its that good.

4.7/5  rDev +0.4%

A- A gloriously bright, clear golden beer. Sexy fluffy yet creamy head, lacing to die for. Really is beautiful in the tulip glass here at Pi Bar.

S- The epitome of IIPA. Explosive, clean hop punch to the nostrils.

T- A lot like Pliny. Bright, clean hop character. Just a touch of malt, but really all about the hops. Nice and dry. My only complaint is the slight taste of alcohol, though it's not bad for 10+%. Again, the epitome of IIPA. I almost prefer really fresh Elder as I find them similar minus the alcohol.

M- Perfect for the style, not too rich like the more barleywine-ish IIPAs, nice carbonation.

D- I could drink a couple of these, and that's more than I can say for a lot of beers this high in alcohol. You know you're drinking some big beer from the warming, but for what it is it's pretty exceptional.

4.37/5  rDev -6.6%

Growler shared by mreusch. Thanks! Served in a Boulevard Tank 7 glass. Poured a deep gold with a thin white head. Massive piney hop aroma. Flavor is dominated by hop bitterness as you would expect, but there is a solid malt base without being sweet. Very drinkable for the abv, alcohol was not very evident. Lots of hops without being too green in the flavor. Nice mouthfeel, medium to full bodied. Believe the hype.

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

A very generous growler gift from my pal, Arbitrator! Thanks a million, my friend...

The waxed lever top popped off and released a heady aroma of tropical fruit and resiny pine. Like Hop Stoopid, I could just sit here and sniff the bottle for awhile, no need to drink right away. My wife asked if am drinking Pine Sol. She sniffed the tulip a bit closer and said, "Wow!". The smell alone is intoxicating.

It poured a very generous foamy head and spread nearly perfect lacing around the glass interior. The foam dissipated quickly. It struck me as very dry, despite the fruit aroma overtones.

Massive hop bite, almost to the point of mint. The alcohol is clearly there but is cleverly masked by the herbal overlay. Thinner and less viscuous than expected but delivers a solid mouthfeel, nearly creamy. Not chewy like some I know...(Amnesia's and Laurelwood's products come to mind). Some scary level drinkability for an 11%er. Could put me on my ass easily.

I love the resin taste. A bit more honey than I usually prefer but it does add a nice compliment to the dry character. Vinnie really nailed the balance on this big boy. Crisp and spicy with just enough earthy balance in there to even things out. Sticky but not sappy. An amazing bit of brewing magic - well worth the hype.

Really a one of a kind Imperial/TIPA. Astounding.

3.83/5  rDev -18.2%

Lucky enough to have this on tap on a visit to Russian River.

Mmmmm. PTY, taste the hype.

A---Good looking beer, no doubt about it, not a ton of head but well laced with a awesome orange hue.

S---Yep, this has some hops in it, lots of pine and some fruit esters.

T---Complex with a lot going on besides the hops, citrus of course, mango? Pineapple? For being a hop-bomb, this has a very nice flavor and finish.

M---dry and tart with the hops finish

D---I will say up front, hop-bombs are not really my thing. I have had this beer on two separate occasions and if you are a hop-head, this is a very solid choice, I like it much more than the Elder, which pretty much reminds me of Pine-sol. I guess that is what is funny about styles, Pty is treated like it is the second coming of Jesus or something, it is not. Dont trade away your first born to get this, but certainly make an effort to get some if you enjoy this style!

4.82/5  rDev +3%

Growler from my sister who has relocated to Napa who happened upon the event per my begging.

A- As has been stated before, much lighter than I expected, looks like liquid gold. 1 finger head with great lacing. Nice carbonation, especially considering it spent a week on it's way across the country.

S- Hop smack to the face, I went cross eyed and laughed. Amazing aroma. Pine with fruit and floral notes.

T- Heavy citrus hops on the front. Some tropical in the middle with a nice pine in the finish. Slightly boozy. I hop orgasm.

M- Remarkably dry for a beer this big, great carbonation even from a growler.

D- I got pretty silly pretty quick, not sure if it was the excitement, the hops ripping through my system, or the 11% ABV. None the less, if this beer was available year round, I'm not sure I would drink anything else.

4.58/5  rDev -2.1%

On tap at Father's Office. I had three of these nice little guys before the bar was even half full. I greatly appreciate the bar abstaining from doing a hyped-up Pliny the Younger night. Much nicer in my opinion to bust this thing out quietly.

The beer is nice to look at, has a nice fresh floral scent, and is at the same time a hop explosion and a well-balanced beer. I find it quite refreshing. You don't taste much of the 11% ABV. It's remarkable that a beer can be his hoppy, yet balanced and big.

4.41/5  rDev -5.8%

Tasted this tonight at a local tasting. My buddy Keith got this through a trade and he is awesome enough to share with us. Pours a really clear yellow to light orange with some Hop residue in my glass, yep hops I say. I am not a great smeller, but I do smell a ton of hops. So, for a normal person, you would smell a mega ton, I bet. The taste is very floral and not over bittering, which is great in my book. I am not a bitter freak, I like hop flavors. Wish we could get this in Florida year round.

-Bye

4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

On tap at Pizza Port San Clemente

A: translucent gold with thin white head and decent lacing

N: tons of citrus, primarily orange with some grapefruit, noticeable fresh pine in the background, fair amount of alcohol

T: big hit of hops right away, loads of citrus, passing note of mint, loads of hop bite (literally coating the cheeks with a warm bitterness), finishes with a faint fresh herb note, very dry, ABV very noticeable

M: extremely dense feel straight away, very round, mellow body, very fresh and clean

D: incredible, only planned on one but had to get a second,

Review #200.

Something I never thought I'd get to try. Big HUGE thanks to Chad for the growler. Huge appreciation and beer karma headed your way! Thanks buddy!!

My inner hop head is mad at me. It's like he showed me this really cool club, vouched for me at the door, and introduced me to everyone. But now a days, I'm too busy hanging out with the Stouts and Wilds to even wave when I see him out. After this experience, I remember how much fun things used to be and I promise to spend more time and effort on the types of beer than got me into craft in the first place.

Which brings us to the actual review. A beautiful growler served cold, poured into open mouth tasting glasses.

Liquid gold in color, small white film of a head.

Smell is amazing. Hops rule this roost - citrus (grapefruit, orange, pineapple) and a touch of mint and alcohol. I could smell this all day; wow is this making my mouth water!

Best hoppy taste ever. A citrus punch in the face - earthy, peachy, pine, grapefruit - fades into a bitter lingering taste that is surprisingly NOT devastating but does score a significant blow on the palette. But the finesse between the hops and linger, and the levels of explosive flavor make this the best hoppy tasting beer I've had. Extreme and refined all in one - a brilliant tight-rope walk.

Mouthfeel was surprising on this one. It had appropriate lack of density and thin viscosity for the style but also felt significant. The carb was perfect and felt sharp when it needed to and creamy when it needed to.

Drinkability - OK, if this is 11%, Vinny is a magician. One sip begs for another. Almost sessionable in its appeal and how quickly the glasses disappear.

After 200 ratings, I guess I'm one of those who aren't afraid to award 5's (in fact, one other beer got a perfect score across the board from me). But this is one of the best 2 beers I've ever had and certainly the best DIPA on the planet. We sat around after a pour and discussed - what could be this beer's flaw. Sure it's strong, but a DIPA should be. It's just so well crafted and the appearance, smell, and taste are so spot-on that it deserves to be rewarded. I'm sure our paths will cross again, Younger!

Cheers and here's to the next 200!

4.77/5  rDev +1.9%

I've waited about 4 years to get a chance to try this beer, and am very glad to be able to do so just a few days after it took the top spot.

Appearance- Growler was full to the brim which was a nice thing because it seems little if any carbonation was allowed to escape. The color is what I would describe as gold with suggestions of caramelization that create some orange hues. Color-wise, this is is light for the style, especially considering the massive 11% ABV. The head is really dependent upon the pour, and being a growler fill I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Some lacing, but I'd like to see a bit more.

Smell- This is probably where PtY performs the best. The smell is incredible. It's dry hopped 4 times, and it shows. The main aromas in order of prevalance are grapefruit, orange, pine, and alcohol. In the background it seems there are faint traces of crystal and biscuity malts which offer up just a little bit of sweetness. I can pull vanilla bean out of the aroma too but it's a stretch, and I'm not sure where/what ingredient that's coming from.

Taste- Blistering bitterness. This is one of the most bitter beers that I can remember, keeping in mind that taste buds change from day to day, the only beer that I can think of that comes close in this respect is The Great Divide's Hercules DIPA (which I didn't like, but will try again). This beer is extemely hop-forward as a double or triple (as Russian River claims) IPA. There's still a good bit of malt to make moments sweet. I'm still surprised at the number of reviews that talk about how inperceivable the alcohol is in this... seriously? It's 11% or 22 proof, and not meant to be aged. If it were aged I suspect it would mellow out nicely, but that would defeat the purpose and the insane hop presence would fade quickly now wouldn't it? There are some complexities here with odd notes of vanilla coming through, but not quite as good complex to me as the Elder was.

Mouthfeel- Well... Full. Excellent carbonation for a growler fill.

Drinkability- I had no problem drinking this. A wonderful beer that I wish was more readily available. Well worth the wait.

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to concourse for the share on this one. Very interested to see if it lives up to the hype.

A - Pours copper-gold with 2 fingers of off-white head. Dissipates slow and leaves nice lacing.

S/T - Honey and caramel up front. Surprisingly malty for a 2X IPA. Notes of grapefruit and resiny pine on the finish. Very well-balanced, a good beer.

M - Full-bodied and well-balanced. Surprise that there is no alcohol feel in a 10.75% ABV beer.

D - Great overall, worthy of the #1 spot? No, worthy of a top-25? Definitely. Dangerously sessionable. The resininess is a bit much, but the malt feel is truly dynamic.

On-tap at Tustin Brewery (8oz pour)

This was ridiculous. The 2 5-gallon kegs were empty in 20 minutes. They were pouring it as fast as they possibly could.

A - orange hue with a good amount of head.

S - very piney and floral in smell. doesn't have a alcohol scent to it.

T - very well balanced. like elder but more complex. too bad they wont bottle this.

M - clean and crisp, the hops cleans the palate so your longing for the next sip

D - if they didn't limit to 1 pour and had more of it i'd definitely have had another. hats off to RR

4.52/5  rDev -3.4%

Making a 125 mile trip worthwhile. Feb 13, 2010 was the start of a brew tour beginning at Port Brewing to grab some Red Poppy Ale and Angels Share Grand Cru.
Later spent the afternoon at Stone Brew and Bistro for some 2010 Baleywine and other famous Stone brews. Stone Brewerie had PtY on tap Thursday and were all out Saturday. I was told a local pub would have it on tap later in the evening.... I am there...
After 18 months I was able to have some Pliny the Younger in my hands so here it goes...
A: Pours radiant golden color with slight copper haze around the edges. Small frothy head that dissipated rather quick with nice lacing.
S: Very similar to PtE with a stronger smell of thick hops hanging around the fizz of alcohol. Reminds me of a thick forest after a rain.
T: Very well balanced. I am not sure if alcohol content of PtY helps balance the bitterness of the hops but let me tell you, it felt like a sweet tinge at the end.
M: Heavier and almost chewy compared to PtE.
D: Have to be carefull with this one. High ABV can hit you rather quickly since there is no end with PtY. Lighter ABV would make this brew highly drikable one after another.
Overall, PtY is the best DIPA I have had (for now)...

4.3/5  rDev -8.1%

Draft serving in a 0.5 L mug at Hollingshead.

A: Slightly hazy, rich golden color with less than one finger of diminishing white foam head. Minimal lacing left on the glass.

S: Moderate sweet floral and pine hops smell. No hint of alcohol. I was expecting a more overwhelming smell to this beer.

T: Intense pine hops flavor with increasing bitterness as the aromatic flavors fade. The flavor is surprisingly balanced for what this beer is, yet the alcohol is not at the forefront. It tickles my palate in a most satisfying way and makes me smile at the thought of another sip.

M: Medium-bodied texture and light to moderate carbonation is noticed, but not distracting in any way. Seems appropriate for the style, similar to other RR IPAs.

D: Any hophead could endure more than a healthy portion of this beer, yet the abv is a limiting factor. This beer is a fine double IPA although not really in a class by itself, save for the high abv. It makes me recall a tulip of Deschutes Hop Henge reserve batch that I enjoyed at their Portland pub during Summer, 2009--another carefully crafted double IPA with a definite pine flavor and aroma. Perhaps the most notable attribute of this beer is the hype that surrounds it. Having just returned from a neighborhood deli where it was standing-room-only, the sky currently seems to be the limit. Russian River would be wise to preserve this feature of their beer, although the masses may clamber for more.

I want to do a standard review, but this deserves so much more. I'll start with appearance. This beer poured a burnt orange color that was lightly effervescent, but had great lacing and head retention. Smell was slightly piney, but more florally and citrusy. This is bitter. And not a harsh and spicey bitter, but a citrusy and floraly bitter. The younger gives it smell every cent it's worth. Hints of diacetyl on the malt. This is very well balanced. More on the hoppy side, but the malt gives the perfect smootheness to it that makes it so drinkable. Hops sit on the palate and fills the nose with that perfumy floral hops. I had a 17 oz pour and I've become a philosopher. Amazing beer. Never had better.

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to LongBeachHopHead for hand bottling this beauty so that I could taste the hype, and this is a case where I can believe the hype.

A- Bright glowing orange hue with a white head that was a little less than half a finger.

S- Hoppy-citrus and piney, could have inhaled this beer all night.

T- Sweet Citrus hop-bomb with hints of floral taste, 11% ABV was expertly hidden.

M- Crisp and refreshing, perfectly balanced carbonation no one taste overpowered.

D- Wish I had a growler, but was glad to have any. I probably would have been a mess, but if I had a growler I surely would have finished it in one night.

I have had Dreadnaught, the Elder, Hopslam, Sculpin and a few others in the last two weeks and I could see why PtY is clearly the CHAMP.

4.82/5  rDev +3%

A huge thanks to tzanio for this one!

L: Pours a clear bright orange-yellow color with a big and fluffy off-white colored head that sticks around for some time and leaves a nice amount of lacing down the glass.
S: Smells of sweet malts, a whole bunch of citrus - grapefruit, mostly - then a huge earthy, citrus-y, and piney hop aroma.
T: Not what I was expecting from the nose. I was expecting a hop bomb, but this was not it, not even close. The hops were there for sure, but they did not overpower the beer with one kind of hop flavor. It was a mix of earthy, piney, citrusy, and floral all mixed expertly together for that perfect IPA taste. The beer was balanced out expertly with the malt base and the flavors were excellent.
M: Very crisp, fresh, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation, lighter feeling than I thought it would be.
D: Very drinkable, I split the growler with some friends (all beer lovers) and we all loved it. The growler was gone in no time and we were wishing for more.

4.62/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

REVIEW # 400 (FOR ME)

I've been seeking this brew for 2 years now, so it is an appropriate choice for my 400th review! Growler received in a trade with nick717 who is da man! Growler shared with beerloco, mrsbeerloco, and StonyB.

Appearance: Pours a radiant brilliant goldfish orange with a slight haze. The crown is a slightly buttery white, very frothy/frappy, shows medium retention and lots of lace.

Smell: In the words of Will Ferrels movie "Semi-Pro" its time to get tropical! LOADS of perfectly balanced grapefruit, pine resin, and a medley of hops which seems (to my novice palate) to be simcoe, columbus, centennial, etc. A whisper of alcohol rounds out the flavor and seems like it belongs (different from PTE).

Taste: Same as nose...slightly sweet pale malt, hints of biscuit, a pungent bouquet of fruity resinous hops, etc. The juiciness of the hops counterbalances the bitterness perfectly.

Mouthfeel: Same as PTE only a touch more chewy.

Drinkability: It is wasn't for the 11% abv I'd score it at a 5.0 because this is an extremely drinkabile triple ipa.

PTY lives up to the hype.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company