Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,216
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

ok.... i have waited almost 2 years to try this. HUGE thanks to my homie for sending me this in his own growler!

pours straight up copper with thick white head and leaves an INCREDIBLE lacing pattern behind.

scent is actually more muted than i expected, VERY citrus with grapefruit being dominant.

taste is so balanced for what this is. smooth hop flavor that is bitter like a red grapefruit concentrate. the carbonation quickly releases the flavors. starts out smooth and ends with a sharp bitterness that quickly fades into red grapefruit. i even caught what appeared to be white pepper for a few seconds.

very full bodied, thick, oily, with a medium to moderate carbonation

this is VERY drinkable however at 11%, be wary!

i am VERY happy that i get a 4 day weekend to enjoy this, then bask in all its glory!

02-15-2009 01:34:34 | More by hooliganlife
bbothen

4.65/5  rDev -0.9%

Dont know what else can be said about this one.

Clear golden rust like color. Thick white 2 finger deep head. Leaves plenty of sticky lacing & webbing on glass.

Intense pine & citrus hoppiness. Tree, grass, earth, spruce. Faint maltiness & booziness.

First off. Amazingly balanced between the huge hop presence and sweet malt. Estery, sticky, oily, sweet, bitter. 11% makes itself known. Just go try it for yourself.

Thick, syrupy, medium full, coating, moderate carbonation.

For an 11% monster...it's highly drinkable. Probably because it's DELICIOUS. Although after 2, you may second guess ordering another.

Try this one. Duh.

02-15-2009 00:17:44 | More by bbothen
srandycarter

4.7/5  rDev +0.2%

10 oz pour from Johnny Brown's in San Diego

A - Crystal Clear light honey, thick, dense 1" head. Tons of lacing that lasts throughout the beer. Nice retention.

S - A nose full of hops. I got grapefruit/citrus and pine in massive amounts, seasoned with a little sweet malt smell.

T - Hardcore battle between the sweet malt and the hops; each presenting itself several times, finishing with a dry hoppy smack. Wonderful balance of flavors.

M - Med body, good carb and coating.

D - Dangerous. I caught a buzz off the 10 oz and I was ready for two more!

02-14-2009 05:30:15 | More by srandycarter
Proteus93

4.2/5  rDev -10.4%

With CrellMoset's before mine, it would make this #200 on here. Shared with Chris and dkachur with Clare.

A: It is an pretty clean amber. Nice creamy head that has great retention, and a nice spotting of lace.

S: A fruity and floral aroma - peach, pear, clementines. A sweet citrus scent and a scent similar to that in a florists shop.

T: Fruity sweetness is not as apparent in the flavour. It's a lot more piney on the palate, with a soft fruit peel flavour. Very little alcohol, quite smooth despite the hefty bitterness.

M + D: Body is medium and slightly tacky. A tasty beer, though admittedly I prefer the Elder, and found the scent to be more attractive than the flavour. I do look forward to another opportunity to drink it.

02-14-2009 05:26:21 | More by Proteus93
CrellMoset

4.4/5  rDev -6.2%

Growler courtesy of urwatuh8 - many, many thanks for perhaps my #1 want. Split several ways w/ dkachur, proteus93, and one other friend (who has just begun to appreciate DIPAs - beeradvocacy at work!!).

Appearance: Pours a golden bronze body, gorgeously crisp and clear, with occasional sparse, slow, medium-sized carbonation. The head on this one is very attractive - it's a creamy snow-white, an initial finger-and-a-half high, and has above average retention. It in fact never really fades beyond a healthy thick dusting of snow and a firm, spongy collar. The lacing is similarly attractive, strewing waves and chunks of foamy, occasionally glittery lace all over the place.

Aroma: Very reminiscent of HopSlam, actually. It's incredibly citrusy and fruity - definite apricot, pineapple, strawberries, peach, white grapefruit, blood oranges all make themselves known throughout the course of the sip. It's also fantastically sweet, with notes of honey, tons of pale, saccharine sweetness. The loss of half a point is due to - upon intense, intense inspection - the emergence of a faint whiff of ethanol, light and spicy, and though not imbalanced with the other notes. This one's borderline 4.0, IMO, if only because I get almost the same thing out of HopSlam, with no alcohol there.

Taste: Massive bitterness up front and throughout, though it's a very soft, gentle, well-balanced bitterness. It melds fantastically well with the intense, large, biting citrus, grapefruit, ruby red grapefruit, tons of tropical fruits, and backed up by a big, bold, simplistically sweet malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: Wonderfully smooth and even, with a moderate, subtle carbonation, a surprisingly moderately-viscous body - i.e., I would expect it to be a lot thicker given the amount of malt that had to be pumped into this one - gentle, and subtle, pleasant, nice.

Drinkability: I actually liked the Pliny the Elder better, I do believe, though they're really, truly very different brews. The Elder seems to be a far less balanced brew, actually, with a far more herbal, minty, hop-forward nose than this brew. This one's balanced, but bigger all-around, and (in my personal opinion), the sum of its parts is just a little less overall than the Elder. That's not to say this isn't a fantastic beer - it's stellar, amazing, well-crafted. If you like balanced beer and HUGE beers, this one's for you - it's big, tasty, aromatic, well in-proportion with itself, and just all around amazing. I give many, many thanks to urwatuh8 for the growler of this fantastic brew. As an aside, the Russian River growlers are super-awesome sexy - sort of low to the ground, squat, maybe like a Russian babushka? Regardless, if I lived in Cali, I'd move into RR for this one. As it stands, I'll likely only try it once, and was very, very glad to do so.

02-14-2009 05:22:38 | More by CrellMoset
DoubleJ

4.78/5  rDev +1.9%

2009 version. I've had this year's version a couple times, at Beachwood BBQ and Verdugo Bar. The hop aroma is much more pungnet in the nose than I remember, and I can taste a smoother, more balanced beer in this year's version. Some caramel and bready notes emerge alongside with the intense, puckering hops, and it's slightly cleaner too. Overall, I like 2009's version a little more than the 2008 version, and the latter was pretty awesome as well.

2/13/08 (4.5/4.5/5/5/4.5)

I was fortunate to hear this beer would be on tap at Hollingshead's this week. I raced over this afternoon and grabbed a 12 ounce sample, which was poured into a goblet. On to the beer:

The beer glows a deep orange color. Aroma was very hoppy, lots of metallic smelling hops at first, but it mellowed out to be sweeter as it warmed. My first impression on this beer was that it isn't as "intense" as one might think. Extremely smooth and syrupy thick on the palate. All I could think of was hop juice, yet still has a nice balance to it. The long lingering flavor of hops comes to no surprise.

What else? If you find this, savor the flavor, and enjoy!

02-13-2009 18:08:42 | More by DoubleJ
RustyDiamond

Georgia

Half pint at Russian River on 02.06.09. Board behind bar listed PiY as 10.5% with GOBS under the I.B.U. One of the most unique colors of beer I have ever seen. No head in sight and the glass was glowing orange. All I could do was stare for a few minutes. While doing this, I could smell Younger from a foot away. Crazy giant boozy grapefruit whiffs. Really. Chewy as hell. Grapefruit taffy. Cascade spearmint jolly rancher. Enormous whopper of a DIPA. Exceptionally drinkable for the size. Had a tulip of Younger Sunday night @ Toronado and could have had 6 more. But what's the point? This beer is the shit.

02-13-2009 17:58:17 | More by RustyDiamond
nrbw23

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

A- Pours a super bright, crystal clear golden orange with a nice white head. Not too much in the lacing area though the only thing holding it back.

S- As soon as I popped the growler top of this one I could smell it. Plenty of hops here and that's what I like piney and grapefruit all over the place here. A touch of sweet malts but the hops rule this one.

T- Hops again rule this one. Hops are very consistent through out the drink and its incredibly balanced. The alcohol is hidden very well.

M- Medium in body and perfect carbonation. This one feels well perfect.

D- Highly recommended. I love this beer and wish I could get it more often. Clearly worth the hype and very solid.

Thanks again Jason!!!

02-13-2009 12:11:32 | More by nrbw23
rallison

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Alright, time to review this beer finally. Current batch is drier than the last batch with less sweetness apparent from the malt. Citrusy and resiny hops just dance on your tongue with a beautifully filling yet light malt profile. This does live up to the hype. Better than last year as well. I'm loving this. So go, get yourself a pint of this beautiful beer.

02-13-2009 09:48:40 | More by rallison
PeprSprYoFace

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Finally got to have a pint of this one. On tap at Pizza Port San Clemente.

Appearance is beautiful. Nice creamy looking head. Beautiful color and clear as a bell. the lacing sticks to the glass almost so much you can't see through the glass.

Smell is awesome. Lots of pine sents and awesome hop aroma. Although I think the bottle of Elder I poured the other day had more hop aroma than the younger.

Taste is great. Nice and malty. The malts are wonderful. The hops and malts balance so well. But I wish there was as much hop flavour as the elder I have had. Call me spoiled or picky since I have access to these wonderful beers but I kind of like elder better because of the hop flavour and aroma. The malts on the younger are very nice though.

Mouthfeel is perfect. I love the carbonation to malt ratio. Perfect for the style.

Drinkability is really high but after one on an empty stomach, I'm pretty buzzed. But I'm going to drink at least 3 more before the night is over. Good thing my pizza came.

02-13-2009 03:50:28 | More by PeprSprYoFace
paco1029384756

4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to urwatuh8 for the growler.

Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of foamy white head.

Scent of huge piny hops, grapefruit, citrus, honey and a bit of caramel. Extremely hoppy, but it doesn't matter, this stuff smells so damn good.

Taste is very hoppy, lots of grapefruit and citrus, honey, and a hint of caramel, there is a hint of alcohol, but nothing that would suggest 11%. Finishes with a lasting flavor of delicious hops. One of the few 'Holy fuck' beers I've had, worth the price, a growler was not enough, I must have more.

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied with a good bite from the carbonation.

02-13-2009 00:59:11 | More by paco1029384756
callmescraps

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Finally got my hands on this one. Called Father's Office, found out it was finally in, and practically threw the lady in the car and raced off. I was not about to miss this.

Appearance - Light orangish. I definitely got the "it glows" thing. It was very nice and clear, with 1-2 inches of whispy head that settled down in a couple minutes. Not a super rich color, but very bright and nice.

Smell - Plenty of hops. Some real pine and grapefruit. Also some lemon/citrus. There's also a little bit of a malt back behind all those hops. Very nice and balanced, but no explosion.

Taste - Very, very balanced. There's that hoppy citrusness, but also some real malt hanging around. There's a bready-ness that I did not see coming. Not too astringent, and the alcohol is nowhere to be seen. That said, the aftertaste is a little tough, a sharp bitterness that sort of clings. Overall, it was one of the more balanced DIPA's you'll find.

Mouthfeel - Really great. Very crisp, not syrupy at all. Just about perfection.

Drinkability - Lethal. Definitely went down faster than planned, although it does begin to accumulate a little. Still, with such a high abv it's incredibly smooth. Even the lady, not a big fan of hops, thought that this one was very, very drinkable. That about says it all.

A very nice beer. Great even. Of course, there was no way it could live up to the hype. I'm not sure anything could. It was very, very drinkable. Still, it seemed a little thin? There was a level it did not quite go, but I think that's how it ends up being so balanced. I'm really glad I tried this one, and I really admire the craftsmanship. One of the better DIPA's you're going to get anywhere.

If you ever see it on tap, pounce! That said, your life can complete without ever having tried it. I'm a fan, definitely.

02-12-2009 04:06:50 | More by callmescraps
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

4.68/5  rDev -0.2%

An incredibly huge thanks to Adam (Nanoslug) for sending a fresh growler of this to me. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Three fingers of creamy-white foam, with incredible retention and gorgeous lacing. Semi-transparent gold, with tiny bubbles slowly lazily & rising upwards. This is the standard by which DIPAs are measured.

S - Huge, complex bouquet of flavors - mossy pine, fresh-cut grass, tangerine, Braeburn apple, grapefruit, and a touch of pineapple. Mild touch of malt in the background, but this is a huge hopbomb.

T - Incredible balance - great fresh hoppiness and sweet tropical fruit flavors, but also more malt than the smell let on. Sweet and hoppy aftertaste that keeps me reaching for the glass. Only the tiniest hint of the 11% ABV.

M - Medium viscosity, reasonable carbonation. Smooth and creamy, with just a touch of tingling. Leaves a sticky resinous feeling after swallowing. Not sure what else I can ask for in a DIPA.

D - This is the most drinkable 11% beer I've ever had. The only thing that would keep me from filling up my glass is passing out.

This is incredible stuff - it takes all the things I love about Pliny the Elder but the nth degree. This is a must try for all lovers of beer.

02-12-2009 03:47:12 | More by MasterSki
tjthresh

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%

22 ounce hand bottle shared by Bobby91w. Pours bright sunny yellow with good whit head. Dank pine and Juicy Fruit nose. Just a big bold blend of hop goodness. Medium body. Balanced finish. Certainly a great beer, I'm just not sure it lived up to my expectations.

02-11-2009 13:22:57 | More by tjthresh
hophead247

Poured from a tap into a 4 ounce taster glass...Finally had my chance to taste The Younger, and oh my GOD, what a day to remember. First the sample, then meeting Vinnie...the brewer himself.

This ale poured an amber color with a nice thick white head. Like the Elder, this ale was very clear and clean with no sediment at all.
The smell was of fresh hops...citrusy and crisp. One word describes the taste...PHENOMENAL!!! Like the Elder, this ale hides its alcohol content very well and has the perfect balance of malts and hops. I wanted to ask Vinnie how he does it, but refrained. At 10.75% I thought this would be tougher to drink, but I was wrong. It's definitely not one to chug, but to savor, for this is one ale that people will remember for years to come.

02-11-2009 05:51:36 | More by hophead247
rhinos00

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +2.3%

Huge thanks to Scott (swnicholson) for scoring a growler of this for me. Poured from a cool looking growler into my Corsedonk tulip glass.

A- Pours a beautiful golden amber that just seems to have a glowing aura around it. Visibility is crystal clear and produces a huge three fingers width of white head that lasts throughout consumption.

S- Huge scents of piney hops infiltrate the nostrils. The aroma is just so clean it seems to cut through the air. There is a subtle citrus sweetness that attempts to balance the piney aroma, but to no avail.

T- Piney hops assault the tongue and hold it captive. As the beer warms up, the piney taste becomes less aggressive, allowing for the citrus flavors to kick in.

M- Clean, carbonated and medium bodied. Can't ask for much more in a DIPA.

D- After one glass of this, I was definitely feeling the effects. There is also a warming sensation that comes with this one.

Overall, an absolutely fantastic DIPA that it truly worthy of its praise. Younger is bigger and bolder than Elder, giving off a far more piney taste. As such, it is a beer that I would go out of the way for to drink on a special occasion. However, I don't think I would be able to drink this on a daily basis, unlike Elder. If you have the opportunity, definitely try this one.

02-11-2009 00:46:51 | More by rhinos00
mj001jk

4.93/5  rDev +5.1%

I have waited over a year since I moved to the Bay area to have this beer and I was at Toronado the day they received the kegs. RR delivers on Thursdays to Toronado btw...might be good to know from time to time.

Needless to say I was trembling with anticipation and arrived a little before my drinking and brewing buddy so I couldn't order one by myself quite yet so I decided to warm my palate with a Blind Pig.

When the Younger arrived I was smitten by the smell, intense resinous hops, grapefruit, orange, grass, pine resin and some real dank chronic. The onslaught of hops is smoothed out by a richness of malts, a tiny bit of caramel and toffee with cream. It is intense alright and the alcohol is definitely there, but it is not overpowering. A little bit like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand, definitely there but you can easily forget it is...at least after a few glasses.

Taste-wise I was let down a little, as good as it is, there are still some things that pull it down from a perfect score. It is a little brutish and lacking elegance, but perhaps I am crazy for saying that, but I kept thinking that I may actually like the Elder better. It was also slightly under-carbonated for my taste.

All in all it is a World-class beer, probably like nothing you've ever had before so I highly recommend trying it. If I had my way I would start the evening with a regular RR IPA which is amazing, move on to Blind Pig, Pliny The Elder and finishing off with Pliny The Younger. That encompasses all the foreplay, action and climax a hophead could ever wish for.

I stayed at Toronado for 5 hours and can safely say I have not been THAT hung over for years...I was hyperventilating until noon the next day. Great stuff!!!

OK, now I've had it 2 years in a row and I revised my review. It is fantastic, better the second year. Enough said.

02-10-2009 18:10:42 | More by mj001jk
beachbum1975

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

HUGE thanks goes out to bifrostguard for this and his FIRST trade! Delivered on my doorstep on Saturday 2/7/2009 and shared with pwoods (<-- this guys owes me a shit ton! Just kidding), DrewOSU and Ftownthrowdown.

Poured from the flip-top Russian River growler into my traditional pint glass at around 40-45 degrees. Pours a clear, brass orange with an average tan head. Nice sticky lacing seen rolling up the edge of my glass. White, creamy halo of foam seen, as well.

You can smell this beer from the neighboring room! The nose on this beer is so intense. Huge, pounding of floral hops, ammonia (likely from the simcoe hops), sweet malts, orange citrus, grapefruit, grass, pepper, earth all mixed around a big slap of alcohol - basically the entire spectrum of hops all over the nose - holy shit, world class.

This is a MASSIVE freggin' beer! Starting on the drink was a huge wave of bittering hops. Medium bodied and FULL flavored. Finishes with a sweet, at time creamy finish. Waxiness on my tongue. This is a big, extremely tasty beer. Pine on the aftertaste lingers in my mouth. My palate is official shot for the remainder of the night. Soo much going on here. A plethora of hops and lightly balanced, semi-sweet malts, masterfully blended. Crisp and very dry, yet waxy finish. It's almost like a super-hopped strong ale.

Wow...

A million thanks go out to bifrostguard again - cheers!

02-10-2009 15:38:31 | More by beachbum1975
FtownThrowDown

4.78/5  rDev +1.9%

Got another one of the always welcomed infamous emails/calls! These get togethers are starting to become epic!

Poured from a growler.

Pours a very nice amber, gold in color. Completely clear and effervescent. A fairly good amount of frothy head forming on the pour. Mostly around the perimeter of the glass, but it's there. Smell is all hops. All glorious in their splendor. Obnoxious hops. Oily, resinous, floral, sticky, juicy. Heavenly. The type of hops that kick in your front door and make themselves at home and there ain't nothing you can do about it.
Taste is wonderful, powerful hops. I had to apologize to my mouth and tongue after drinking this. It was a full onslaught and both sides of my tongue were numbing.
Besides the full hoppy onslaught, this is a very clean and enjoyable beer. Very crisp with a wonderful mouthfeel.
The alcohol is a bit tough to hide, so you can notice it a bit in the flavor and in the warming heat in your nostrils.

Incredible, one of a kind beer. Very glad to have had the opportunity. I've had plenty of elder since it's bottling, and I have to go against the grain and say that I like the Younger infinitely better, hands down.

02-10-2009 14:15:42 | More by FtownThrowDown
waltonc

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev -6.6%

On tap tonight at Monk's Kettle.

A: Pours clear golden color with a moderate white head.
S: Very fresh citrus, pine, and floral hop notes. Really good smell to this.
T: Again, the citrus, pine, and floral hop qualities dominate the taste, but are somewhat balanced with the malts. Still an out-of-control hop bomb, but far better than most, and probably the best California IPA I've had.
M: Mouthfeel is spot on for the style. Not too heavy, not too light, and the carbonation is perfect.
D: High ABV and out of control hops hamper drinkability, but this is very good.

02-10-2009 05:33:50 | More by waltonc
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Huge thanks goes out to a very helpful and patient BA, largadeer. Thanks again Chris!

Pours a nice clear yellowy orange with a stark white head that lingers forever and leaves great lacing. A very slight redness, this one doesn't quite glow, but tries as hard as it can. Carbonation stream rises from the etching in the bottom of my corsendonk goblet.

Nose is pure hops. Big West Coast hop resins waft out of the glass. A nice malty backbone is noticeable in the smell, but man o man this one just reeks of ooey gooey stanky ass hop resin. Grapefruit and pine abound, some slight perfume as well. Smells like this is going to be a major palate thrasher.

Wow. This is a fine fine D(T)IPA. Taste begins slightly mild, with good hop flavor. The sweetness from the malt backbone comes on early, and makes the taste feel a slight bit slick in the beginning. Through the middle of the taste, the hops start to take ahold of the reigns and begin to take names. Grapefruit, pine, and other citrus explode as the finish approaches. Said finish yields some fierce bitterness, but it is kept in check and balanced perfectly with a slight sweetness that makes its return here. Dry finish precedes the aftertaste that lingers of hop resin and citrus.

Mouthfeel is solid here. Near perfect viscosity, not too thick and soupy, but certainly not thin. If anything it is every so slightly undercarbonated, but when I say ever so slightly, I mean BARELY. Dry finish is spectacular without making one parched.

Drinkability is fairly unbeleivable here. You can feel the warming sensation when it begins to settle in your stomach, but there is next to no alcohol burn here, and this one goes down dangerously easy.

Overall, this is certainly one of the best DIPAs to be found on the planet. Amazingly well put together, quite balanced, and just plain delicious. If you are a hophead you MUST seek out this beer. It is one that you do not want to miss. If you never have this in your lifetime, and you die and go to heaven, as soon as they pour you one, as this will surely be on tap there, you will realize what you were missing your entire life on earth, and you will curse long and loud, maybe even punch a monk or two, drop kick a couple cherubs, and you will be kicked out and sent to hell.

So don't screw up and miss out on this.

I'm not saying this is the best DIPA on the planet, but it should certainly be in the discussion. I can count those that would rival it on one hand, and can think of none that surely beat it. An amazing beer.

02-10-2009 02:30:22 | More by AKBelgianBeast
aforbes10

Iowa

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%

On tap at the Sonoma Wine Exchange (Wine Exchange of Sonoma?). Pours a yellow to orange and transparent, with a nice white head. Sticky, sticky lacing. Clear and gleaming in the light. Smells very hoppy, citrusy, but also very heavy on the alcohol. Some pine notes. Flavor is quite good. Very bitter, very hoppy. Citrus hops dominate, but again there's a pine sap presence too. Hops blow out my taste buds pretty early on. More of a malt profile than the Elder and definitely a more prominent alcohol presence too. The massive hops and alcohol don;t really work to its benefit, imo. Elder is a great beer because of how it manages to cram all that good stuff in and not be overwhelming, while Younger IS overwhelming. Still, its very tasty, just more on the overly aggressive side of things. Full bodied, but also a bit syrupy. Drinks well, but again, i prefer the elder.

02-09-2009 19:06:59 | More by aforbes10
lhaqq

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

Managed to get this at the brewery within the one week they had it on tap. A beautiful ride up through Sonoma County with apogee of a great beer.
A: Orangish gold body with a milky compact white head with decent lacing.
S: Papaya, guava, pine, and grapefruit.
T: Tons of pine and less citrusy up front, more of a floral hint of hops. Also somewhat spicy at the beginning.
M: Compact, light but high carbonation. Surprisingly creamy.
D: Definitely hides the 11% well; had three of these and it's definitely easy to have too many.

02-08-2009 08:15:48 | More by lhaqq
WeisGuy

4.4/5  rDev -6.2%

a - bright golden color, fairly clear with a slight haze, good sized white head with very good retention and lacing

s - prominent citrus aromas centering on lemon, moderate sweetness, slight alcohol, a lot going on in the nose

t - very sharp hop bitterness at the start, lots of citrus on the midpalate, lemon and grapefruit mostly, good deal of sweetness and alcohol on the finish without being overwhelming, hop bitterness and citrus lingers for awhile

m - medium-bodied, full mouthfeel relative to other DIPAs, not overly dry on the palate

d - pretty dangerously drinkable for an 11% DIPA, not too harsh on the palate, not one dimensional, so it stays interesting

Very good DIPA overall, though I actually like the Elder a bit more. It's too bad they don't brew this more than once a year.

02-08-2009 02:05:58 | More by WeisGuy
ironlung

On-tap@Toronado S.F. on 2-6-09(Good times Joe...good times!)
Warmed up with a pint of his uncle to be able to fully appreciate the differences...
Looks lighter in hue and less haze than his uncle PtE. Smell is a big dose of hops, no malt or alcohol comes through. Taste is nothing short of spectacular! Just so easy to quaff, but with each drink you feel yourself getting more and more buzzed. This is hands-down the best triple IPA. It's just so smooth and rounded you feel like you can drink it 'till the cows come home. Then before you know it your on your thrid one and crossed-eyed, stumbling out looking for a cab! I'm knida glad they don't bottle this one(yet) because I could see myself going overboard on this beer(literally, I ride the ferry everyday). People go wild over this beer with good reason, it's the best! I thank my lucky stars(and curse them at the same time)that I live in the bay and get to have all these awsome RR beers!

02-07-2009 23:12:06 | More by ironlung