Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,059
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
TheEremite

4.72/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Bistro DIPA festival.

What an exceptional beer. The hop aroma jumps out of the glass and hits your nose about a foot from the glass. Tastes of citrus and pine hopiness. Extremely clean and dry finish. No off flavors or astringency. For a DIPA this is very drinkable. I think I'll have two.

04-16-2008 22:57:14 | More by TheEremite
goschool

4.93/5  rDev +5.1%

On-tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, CA.

Appearance: The pour is a rich auburn color with a frothy beige head.

Smell: The nose is bursting with freshly peeled grapefruit and resinous pine out in front of sweet caramel malts and soft fruit.

Taste: The flavor profile starts out with an immediate bitter hop-filled explosion. Then, all of a sudden, the grapefruit, pine, and floral hop assault takes a supporting role as Bartlett pear and Fuji apple linger in the mid-palate. Sweet caramel pops in just before the beer finishes with a resurgence of bitterness that manages to be equally intense, crisp, and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: It's on the heavier side of medium-bodied and somewhat sticky with a lively mix of hop bite and carbonation.

Drinkability: Pliny the Younger is dangerously drinkable and, considering its enormous IBU and ABV numbers, it has absolutely no right to be. This is now the fifth beer on my list of beers that will always appeal to me, regardless of which styles I'm in the mood for. It's a truly remarkable beverage.

04-16-2008 06:58:55 | More by goschool
ojclark

4.47/5  rDev -4.7%

Naja's Place - 3/28/08

Strong citric, grapefruity aroma. Noticable crystal malt notes and some alcohol.

Poured golden-orange with slight haze. Not much head aside from a slight ring around the side of the glass.

Hops are most noticable flavor component: citric and grapefruity with stong hop bitterness. Big malt backbone serves to prevent the hops from completely overshelming this beer (just barely). Some crystal malt notes apparent in background. Stong alcohol flavor as well. Tangy, citric, bitter finish.

Medium-bodied with a rich mouthfeel. Some alcohol warmth, but not overwhelming. Medium carbonation.

This is a huge beer, but surprisingly drinkable for a triple IPA. Very nice.

03-31-2008 17:41:35 | More by ojclark
dill

4.85/5  rDev +3.4%

on draught in a pint glass

A - pours a light golden color with a white head that had almost dissipated to a thin lace by the time it got to me.

S - earthy hops with some fruit. cherry and lychee.

T - lots of grapefruit then as it settles into the mouth the hops start to intensify and you wonder when they will stop. amazing how great it tastes. immediately i am putting this among the best beers i've ever tasted.

M - rich and smooth.

D - when this is being served, i'm not sure i would drink anything else.

03-26-2008 17:17:28 | More by dill
rxdrewthejew

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

On tap at Naja's! I was excited.

A: Very orange, no shades or red or yellow, this was pure orange. Served into a Chimay goblet, not much head but plenty of lacing.

S: Strong grapefruit hops, but lots of estery malt, peach and citrus.

T: Massive citrus hops dominate the flavor, but again there's that huge malt component. Plenty of sweetness here but the balance still favors the hops.

MF: Rich and smooth. Enough carbonation to give it a bit of bite, but not overly abrasive. The hops have a bit of an acidic bite, so the feel is a bit stinging, and the finish is fairly dry.

D: This is a really really good IIPA, one of the best I've had. The balance is pretty impressive because it packs quite a hop punch and yet it doesn't abuse your mouth. I think I had unrealistic expectations about this though, like it would be some sort of religious experience. An excellent brew and one that I would not hesitate to drink again, but I can't say I would rate this higher than some of my other favorite IIPA's. Still, just another fantastic brew from RR, and something I would never pass up the opportunity to drink.

03-26-2008 06:25:05 | More by rxdrewthejew
drseamus

4.68/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Crystal clear golden/light amber color with a very nice thick white head; especially from a growler. There is pretty decent carbonation. It is a bit lighter than I expected.

S: Grapefruit heaven. I love the aroma from west coast IPAs. There is a touch of sweetness in there also.

T: HUGE grapefruit blast initially that fades ever so slightly into a good sweetness. It isn't really a malty sweetness though. Others have suggested that the sweetness is actually from the amount of hops and I could see how that could be true. Leaves a great grapefruit aftertaste and a slight burning on the tongue.

M: Thick and creamy. Very deceiving from the color.

D: Damn good. I definitely need to have this on tap at some point. We polished off a growler between three of us.

03-17-2008 21:09:09 | More by drseamus
Avryle

4.47/5  rDev -4.7%

Props to DrSeamus for sharing his growler.

A- You gotta love RR's pop-top growlers. This had been sitting in a fridge for three weeks and still poured with a magnificent creamy head that disipates to a subtle lace. The only short-coming with this brew is the color. It was a little on the pale side, pouring a ayryupy, light orange-yellow.

S- Heavy on the west coast citrusy hops. Its like a large grapfruit humping a small pine tree.

M- Full-bodied that leaves a bitter coating on the tounge. Light on the carbonation.

T- Not just a Hop Bomb. There's a sweetness that I can't define from the hop overload and finishes with a cinnamon-like tingle in your mouth.

D- Pretty easy drinking considering the full body and 11%. Dangerously so.

03-16-2008 14:19:34 | More by Avryle
aerozeppl

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to Drseamus for bringing the west coast love.

A: Pours a clear golden color. Decent amount of white head especially for a growler. This looks like a cheaper beer but do not judge this book by it's cover.

S: Grapefruit dominated this for me. Tons of citrus and that really good west coast hop smell. Slightly flowery.

T: Hops. Really sweet for a DIPA. This was what we kept coming back to. How sweet this beer was. It was not even a malt sweetness. Almost like there were so many hops it picked up a sweetness. While there is a bit of balance going on here there are still enough hops to keep even the most grizzled hophead happy.

M:Super creamy with a nice thick mouthfeel.

D:No hint of the ABV at all. This beer could definately get you in trouble. While this was a great beer I do not know if I would actively seek it out. If I lived in Cali I would be drinking this on the regular however.

03-16-2008 04:24:21 | More by aerozeppl
mithrascruor

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

On tap at O'Briens, San Diego.

Pours a nice copper orange color with a thin white head. Nice lightly spicy aroma of hops and apricot. Flavor has a nice hoppy-malt foreground with hints of pine against a good backdrop of light orange and apricot. Spicy aftertaste. Light tingly carbnation, medium bodied. Nice flavor and complexity; a very drinkable and enjoyable beer.

03-16-2008 03:19:53 | More by mithrascruor
session1979

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +4.1%

3/1/08: What a day here in Denver. We spent our time outside enjoying the 74 degree winter heat, had some friends over for a barbecue, threw some darts, drank beer, played basketball with the kids, could it get any better? Yes, yes it can. The mailman delivered a package, not just any package, this was beer mail. Ladies and gentlemen, Pliny the Younger is in the building!

Appearance: Poured a beautifully clear and brilliant light honey orange. A frothy thick 2 finger head adorns itself at the top of this nectar from god. It dissipates leaving a sticky lacing around the glass.

Nose: After letting the head settle I give a little swirl and bury my nose deep in the glass. I am greeted with big grassy hops, almost the same as when you were a kid and you would chew on a piece of grass while playing in the yard. Sweet crystal sugars, fruit - tangerine, and a slightly bready malt buried in the background. The alcohol is noticeable for a quick moment but then gone, hidden by this enormous nose.

Taste: Seriously, how? The first thing that comes to mind is how balanced and drinkable it is, almost like it has been slightly aged. Intense fruity hops, bold in nature but not overwhelming or one sided, followed by sweet hard candy sugars, doughy malt backbone, but the hops win out with a long bittering finish.

Mouthfeel: Full, initially sticky and sweet quickly followed by warming alcohol. Only light carbonation, overall a surprisingly thick and coating mouth, especially for this style.

Drinkability: You would drink this until you passed out or you ran out.

Overall: Last May I had a beertopia experience when I received a growler of the Elder in a trade. It was by far the best beer I had had until now, and while I can't say that the Younger is leaps and bounds beyond that of its uncle, the incredible complexities and balance give it the nod. Honestly, I would take either over any other beer on the planet, any day of the week. You drink this and you feel like you are experiencing a work of art. You understand that a true craftsman created this masterpiece, revealing it slowly one sip at a time. I am simply in awe, thank you Russian River.

03-03-2008 16:22:11 | More by session1979
mully

4.72/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to rayjay for getting a growler of this to me in the mid west. He hooked me up with some great beers, but this was the best one he sent me

a-- crystal clear golden color, of white head falls quickly and barley hangs on around the edges

s-- earthy vegital hops slight simcoe "cat piss" I don't really think it smells like our cat's litter box but that is the scent and I like it... warm apricot sweetness

T-- Antiseptic hop bitterness jumps out at you at first then the malts catch up to balance the equation and warm up with an apricot sweetness finish

m -- good carbonation, smooth, lingering hop sense

d-- easily slides down my gullet, I had to take 3 or 4 sips before I even started to figure out this beer it really good out standing brew. My wife and I put down the whole growler before we realized how much alcohol was in this beer.

Thanks again to rayjay but the only bad thing about this is I won't be able to get more for a long time.

02-25-2008 04:26:00 | More by mully
ncvbc

4.97/5  rDev +6%

Pours a crystal clear and glowing amber orange. Big carbonation bubbles come up and a thin white head caps it off, leaving sticky spots of lacing all down the glass. I can only imagine straight from the tap.

An unbelievable fresh citrus nose. It's like a mix between Pure Hoppiness and Summer Yulesmith, toss in some pine sap and you have it. Earthy, green hops at first, just incredibly clean. Then big bold citrus scents come through. Bitter grapefruit, tangerine, orange, and hints of lemon. A piney undertone is there for sure as well.

Taste was just shocking to me. It was so much bigger than the smell lead me to believe. The inviting nose had lured me in and now I was getting slapped across the face with hops, laughing as my cheeks turned red with embarrassment. My forehead began to sweat, I got chills down my spine, and from that point on I knew I was in love. Seriously, there are still great citrus flavors and it's super fresh but wow, the piney hops are coming through full force. It's like pure hop juice glory without the overly oily and resinous body. As it warms, malts (huh?) do come through. A light caramel sweetness doesn't so much tame the wallop but it's there.

Bitter but not drying, tingling but not numbing, full but not oily. When I got this growler I was drinking it within an hour. Within the next hour, I had consumed nearly three pints of this addicting serum. A few hours later, after I took a nap, I couldn't help but come back for more.

This is truly a dream come true for hop lovers and I'm fortunate to have tried it. I put it in the realm of Yulesmith and Pure Hoppiness as my favorites. Not really in a class of its own but for now, it stands at the top. Andy, you are quite the generous soul, thank you!

02-25-2008 01:11:58 | More by ncvbc
rkuhnel

While in Santa Rosa I visited the brewpub and filled my Growler, brought it home and poured a small glass. I have waited a long time for this to be available and it was worth the wait. Without a doub this is the best over the top DIPA I have ever partaken, and this is my favorite beer type. Poured a hazy gold tending toward orange with a soap suds head that left big chucks of lacing. Huge citrus hops nose, and a rich mouthfeel that feels like port wine on the palate. Flavors are citrus hops and the finish is long and bitter, but enjoyably so. I was prepared to be disappointed after the long wait, but this is the best brew ever for me. So sad I only have a growler. I really love this beer. I was going to save a 5.0 for the very best. This is it!

02-24-2008 03:59:30 | More by rkuhnel
brewdlyhooked13

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance - pours a hazed light orange amber. Very little head, but after transfers from tap to growler to bottle to glass, well, I can be forgiving. A thin layer of bubbles appears and kind of limps off to the side.

Aroma - good malt base, intense pine and fragrant grapefruit following.

Taste - whew! A sweet start, the malts are there but struggling to develop because the hops are on right now! Intense in many ways - pine, grapefuit, bitter, and a late sweet orange citrus on the back of the tongue that comes outta nowhere. I think the underside of my tongue is even tasting this, and that's impossible!! :-D Very sweet and bitter on the same swallow, pretty cool. Late aftertaste is quite dry and bitter. It does the DIPA proud. A smooth warming alcohol feel as it warms. What a fine glass o' beer.

Mouthfeel - as expected, the carbonation is probably half of where it started. I still get a good hoppy burp here and there. For a DIPA the body is thicker than normal but most reasonable.

Drinkability - sickeningly drinkable. At 11%, that is a problem. No wonder pimpp offered to hook me up with a sample, he was probably very 'happy' after downing over half the growler, lol. At any rate, big karmaic kudos to him for sharing this delicious brew.

02-21-2008 03:54:03 | More by brewdlyhooked13
pwoods

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

Thanks a million to jwolfie70 for providing me the chance to try this rarity. Also, thanks to SirChugsAlot, kersta8, dsigmon, beavers, and NJpadreFan for the kind words in the thread that SirChugsAlot made. jwolfie70 saw that thread and decided to offer me the growler. So, Thanks everyone!

A: Pours a bright, hazy, glowing blood orange rind. A nice 1 1/2 - 2 finger pearly white head forms in the snifter and takes its time walking down. Nice lacing throughout.

S: HUGE hop bomb! My nose was assaulted right when I popped the swingtop. Very west coast. Huge, slightly stinging citrus notes with massive amounts of pine and hop leaf resin. So much resin that it's almost like it's wet hopped. Alcohol is present in the slight sting mixed with the citrus. Malts are sweet yet controlled... I can't wait.

T/M: MMMmm! Tastes like I brushed my teeth with pine cones and then swished with grapefruit pulp, haha. A nice alcohol bite lets you know this beast means bidnus. Malts are super sweet and bready, cutting just enough of the hop blast to add somewhat of a balance. Body is medium+ throughout with a huge creamy, sticky, and sometimes chewy mouthfeel. Finishes instantly super dry but not overdone and with a long lasting bitterness.

D: I'll tell ya what... If I could finish this entire growler tonight, I would. After a second 10ish ounce sampling my tongue started to feel tortured. A 12oz. bottle is being hand filled and handed over to brewdlyhooked13 and then I'll finish the rest tomorrow... if my tongue can handle it :)

02-18-2008 22:49:46 | More by pwoods
Oxymoron

Colorado

4.03/5  rDev -14.1%

We are, we are...youth of the nation. On tap at O'Brien's in San Diego. Poured a somewhat hazy orange color. A good head when poured although did dissipate during the tasting. Some viscous sticks to the glass when you swirl it.

The nose is citrus hoppy with mostly grapefruit and oranges. A fantastic nose that shines of Amarillo, Summit and other "C" hops. To compare with Elder, the nose is much more hoppier and sweeter.

The taste is punch in the mouth hops. Sure it's a crazy west coast hop bomb but both hop, bittering and finishing, and hop to malt are so far out of balance, especially if you compare it to Elder. To start, the hops have a strong bittering bite that last through the finishing taste which overpowers the finish hop flavors. There are some piney and citrus finish but it plays second fiddle here. There is a sweetness to the beer that really is off for me as well. Feels like its under attenuated although there really isn't much of an alcohol or estery flavor at all. As your taste buds adjust the malt flavors come out but really limited with some sweetness and stickness.

The body of course is big. Carbonation is light, maybe to bring out the hop flavor. With the sweet syrupy finish leaves a blah aftertaste. Overall this is an ultimate hop bomb, but with my money give me an elder every time. I suppose I would have to say respect your elders.

02-18-2008 20:00:32 | More by Oxymoron
chefscott79

4.88/5  rDev +4.1%

So I finally got to try this at hollingshead

apperance..a deep gold with touches of orange head goes away easily...

smell...good lord I love the smell of this beer smells like super fresh hops and super citrusy

taste...just like the smell...I want more now as I type this review

drinkabliity...well I could drink this all day....well if I had a higher alcohol tolerence

02-18-2008 06:30:02 | More by chefscott79
srroos

4.8/5  rDev +2.3%

Enjoyed on tap at Hollingsheads. Poured clear orange with ample but short lived head. I'm amazed a beer so hoppy can be perfectly clear like this.

Smells like the hoppiest of IPAs combined with the maltiest of barleywines. Much more complex than any other Imperial IPA I've ever had. Hard to distinguish individual aromas, but very interesting anyway.

The taste is incredible: hops and citrus, malt and fruits, all well balanced with no one flavor being to dominant. Obviously, hops are a major part, but they are so well balanced with the sweetness that I can't imagine anything better.

Mouthfeel is just as awesome as the taste. Medium bodied, slightly syrupy sweetness, with an excellent bitter and sweet finish. Drinkability is amazing for the extreme ABV.

This is one of the few beers that I loved so much I keep wishing for more. If Russian River bottles this, it will be a dream come true!

2-20-08
Had another tall pour at Hollingshead's again today. I stand by everything I said before in my previous review. Incredible beer in all regards, and the best Imperial IPA I've ever had, bar none.

02-17-2008 22:04:05 | More by srroos
Tdizzle

4.88/5  rDev +4.1%

Served to me in a Chimay chalice at Hollingshead's.

A- Clear orange in color with a moderate head that dissipates quickly and leaves a bit of sticky lacing.

S- Tons of piney and citrusy hops backed by some very sweet and fruity malts. Tangy tropical fruits and orange peel too.

T- Everything the aroma promises. The bitterness is intense, but the sweetness of the malt evens it out nicely. The phenomenal thing about this beer is that the sweetness never becomes cloying. This is the perfect balance of bitter and sweet. The alcohol is well-hidden too.

M- Oily, slick, and syrupy with mild carbonation. Just right for a beer like this.

D- The drinkability is exceptional for a beer with such a high alcohol content. Every sip leaves you wanting more.

The best double IPA I've ever had. This is ridiculously good.

02-15-2008 07:51:17 | More by Tdizzle
kleffman

4.53/5  rDev -3.4%

What can I say about this beer that hasn't already been said? I believe this is my third or fourth year having it, and it has always been incredible.

Grabbed a pint of this nectar of the gods at O'Briens. Pours a very clear deep orange color with a nice little head on top and just a bit of lacing.

Smell was not as over the top as I remembered and hoped for but still a rather nice citrus, lemon and slight piney hoppy sweet aroma.

Delicious taste that was actually quite sweet but not in a cloying way. Perfect amounts to balance the explosive hops and extreme alcohol levels. It all melds together so well you would have no idea it's so alcoholic.

A great full bodied mouthfeel with a nice prickly carbonation that makes for an easy drinking beer. I can't think of very many 11% beers that go down as well as a pint of Younger.

This is one seasonal offering that I'm very excited for every year. I can't imagine how crazy people are going to go for the bottles of it once the new production brewery gets up and running.

02-14-2008 06:22:43 | More by kleffman
seaoflament

4.65/5  rDev -0.9%

$5 pint at O'Brien's. Now, last night I started feeling congested and felt a cold coming but I was still able to taste/smell fairly well.

Served in a pint glass. Caramel color with a quarter inch of foam. Good retention. A few soapy spots of lacing.

Big juicy hops. Lots of citrus, lemon, bitter orange and grapefruit zest. Hints of toast and caramel malt, but quickly overpowered by the hops. Just a wonderful bouquet of fruits and hints of pine.

Holy hoppiness! Yep, that's it!

Damn, I think this cleared my sinuses. The most citrusy and yet balanced DIPA I have ever had (just ahead of Summer YuleSmith). Lemon, grapefruit, orange, and a bit of pine on the finish.

Most perfect mouthfeel. Full bodied but not syrupy. Soft on the palate yet a little aggressive on the tongue. Just a little alcohol on the finish, and I was surprised to find out it was 11%

While this one was great, I probably couldn't drink more than 2 servings before getting full. Definitely worth seeking out.

02-14-2008 03:53:56 | More by seaoflament
Overlord

4.97/5  rDev +6%

I enjoyed a half liter of this at Hollingshead today. I have never had a sip of alcohol at work for my entire life, but given that I expected this to be a once a year opportunity, I made an exception. Halfway through, the barkeep casually mentioned that they actually received five kegs instead of their usual one. So it goes.

Pours a bright burnished orange. Clearer and more uniform in color than I expected. Little to no head. Smells like grapefruit and pine. Some tropical pineapple/passion fruit notes in the aroma, but little to no malt. Oily, viscuous, and perfect mouthfeel.

The flavor is robust and awe-inspiring. There is definitely tons of sweet, pink grapefruit-y tropical-ness and caramel malt to balance out a truly explosive pine and grapefruit hop backbone. That's right: this the rare beer in which the dominating characteristic is hops, and yet it actually is balanced by sweeter characteristics. Very drinkable.

I'm not sure what else there is to say. This beer has been well reviewed. This has joined Dreadnaught at the top of my DIPA chart.

02-13-2008 23:42:13 | More by Overlord
MiScusi

2-13-08
On tap at Hollingsheads, poured into a Chimay goblet, transparent rich golden orange with not much foam. The smell is earthy but mostly citrusy hops. Pine citrus leafy hop taste. You get a nice bitterness in the end but its not overpowering. The mouthfeel is really good as there's not too much of a syrupy feel to it. There is a nice level of carbonation that is just prickly enough. This is about as drinkable as any triple or even double IPA could be. The high alcohol hits me but doesn't stop me from ordering another. I'm going back for more in a couple days.
5/4.5/5/5/4.5

4-15-08
I was able to revisit Younger at Lucky Baldwin's Delirium Cafe and must say that it's now my favorite IPA of any kind out there. The aroma really hit even more today as fresh citrus and pine and it was again exceptional. I think it deserves a 5 overall.

02-13-2008 04:32:06 | More by MiScusi
jwolfie70

4.7/5  rDev +0.2%

An exeptional beer. It pours a deep red copper, with a small white head. The smell is dominated by floral hops. The taste is definitely sweet, but it is balanced out nicely by a very strong floral hop taste that keeps the beer from being too sweet. The aftertaste is dominated by the hops. The beer leaves a hop stickiness coat on your mouth. Definitely a beer that I would recommend trying.

02-12-2008 19:07:58 | More by jwolfie70
Floydster

4.85/5  rDev +3.4%

12 ounce pour at Hollingshead's Delicatessen in the city of Orange for a whopping seven dollars after tax, 16 ounce pours were nine plus tax though, expesnive but definitely worth every penny

A-Golden orange with a nice brightness, 3/4 fluffy off white head, stuck around for about two minutes, some of the best sticky lacing I have ever seen

S-Crazy amounts of hoppiness, both citrus and floral, pine aromas, wood scents, deep sweet malt notes, tropical fruit, and strong perfume

T-Bitter, dry, hoppy, sweet, tangy, chewy, you name it and this beer has got it, the balance of this was awesome, sweet malt mixed with unlimited amounts of hoppiness, sweet tangerine, lemon, orange peel, grapefuit, pineapple, green apple, and then a somewhat chewy malt backbone, finish was dry and sweet at the same time, seemed like a session beer the way it was going down until it just hits you immediately, this baby is strong and there is no doubt about it, more complex than I thought an India pale ale could be, one of the best tasting beers I have ever had the chance to indulge in

M-Dry and sweet mouthfeel at different times, definitely more bitter when it was cold and crisp, taste lingered for minutes, perfect level of carbonation, nice looking medium body

D-If I did not know how much alcohol was in this beforehand I probably would not have been able to drive home because I would have kept drinking it, scary drinkability, alcohol is hidden amazingly, eleven percent is strong though, smooth and goes down with ease

I have been wanting to try this for the last two Febraurys, I always seemed to miss it at Naja's and Hollingshead, best IPA I have ever had without question, would have been a perfect score if it was not for the huge ABV, between this and the Beatification I drank last night, Russian River is easily my favorite brewer out there, this blows Pliny the Elder away and that is an almost perfect beer in my opinion, my buddy next to me said this was the best beer he has tasted, very highly recommended

02-12-2008 07:37:10 | More by Floydster