Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,983
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
4.87/5  rDev +3.8%

Had this at TJ's a few months back. Reviewing from mental notes, pictures, and some very limited notes I typed onto my phone.

Was a nice amber in color with a good two fingers of foamy head. Lacing was good

Smell is what you expect from a top flight IPA. Grapefruit, floral and the slightest bit of sweetness

Taste is off the charts. Should be a 5.5 for this one. Like chewing on Hops, and lives up to every bit of the smell.

If I could drink this one every day, I would. Too bad it's so hard to find on this coast.

Edit: I've had this a few more times since this review. Taste is still amazing, but dropping overall to 4.5 Experience is a lot of the beer to me, and the experience has been less than stellar the last few times.

From notes... Went to PtY release on Feb. 5th...Waited in line for 3 hours and was lucky enough to get a couple glasses for my girlfriend and I along with 3 growlers before they sold out an hour after we got there. Appearance was a bit darker and more amber color than Elder. Not a big head with incredible lacing. The smell is mind-blowing...I walked around my house with a an empty growler of it up to my nose during the Super Bowl (that's how amazing it smelled.) It's like the Elder on steroids. The taste is like no other beer in this world. So much pine, floral, sweet caramel, citrus, and hop notes....you can't get more complexity in an IIPA. The mouthfeel is slightly chewy... with SO much drinkability. I can't believe how fast I consumed high quantities of this beer. Can't wait for 2011 release!

I was sadden when i heard that Russian River sold out of this beer in the first 8 hours. Frantically I called up every local beer bar in with in an hours drive of Santa Rosa, and found out that Toronado would be tapping a keg in a week at a special Russian River 'tion night. The first sip was very magical and I knew that it was worth the trip. The gobs of hops are not over whelming like you would first expect. I think the bitterness is so intense that your taste receptors just shut down. The 11% alcohol sneaks up on you like drinking a glass or two of really good wine. You get a nice buzz going on, and you do not feel full or bloated from drinking a few pints, since they serve this to you in 8 oz. pours. That was probably one of the greatest nights in my life, until a week later I found out that RRB had a top secret keg of this stuff still available. I noticed a difference in the taste just by the Younger aging only a week, it wasn't as crisp and intense as I had remembered. Although it was still a great beer to drink. That night I had 3 glasses of Younger and a basket of beer bites. I would pay $100 any time to be able to have that night again. It was one of the best meals i have ever had.

4.74/5  rDev +1.1%

It doesn't take a beer geek to recognize excellence. I had this beer once on tap one upon a springtime in Seattle, on my first visit to the Stumbling Monk. I'd never heard of Pliny at the time but since it was the strongest IPA on tap I requested it. The bartender didn't really play it up, so I was amazed when I got the beer in front of me. The luminous golden cup in front of me bore a heady, floral aroma of citrus and conifer. I remember really tasting the grapefruit in it, and being impressed by both its richness and balance. After a beer this strong I wouldn't usually feel like another one, but this was an exception. I knew at the time that it was easily the best beer I'd ever had, and I haven't found a better one since. The Holy Grail of IPAs.

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Capones (9oz). Enjoyed with Leafs93 and Damico. Pours an amber orange color, clear, with a thin head. Has an aroma of pine and grapefruit. This was definitely worth the anticipation. Has a great taste, creamy smooth balance of bitter and sweet. Notes of citrus. I think what separates this imperial from other imperials is the creaminess. I love the harsh hop bitters in imperials but the complex flavors here are balanced so well to reduce that harshness. Which is likely what makes it so appetizing to so many beer fans. I will not say it is the best beer I have ever had. But it is near the top of my list.

4.92/5  rDev +4.9%

2010 version. 8 oz glasses at O'Brien's, 1st keg of the season only a couple weeks after it was released. Waiting in line for about 30 mins, keg was kicked in 10 once they started pouring.

Outstanding - perfect blend of hops characteristics and amazing drinkability for being 11%. Tried side-by-side with Pliny the Elder, and this definitely has quite a bit more character to it.

A - pours a nice golden color, fairly small off-white head
S - outstanding dry-hop aromas, lots of citrus and pine.
T - great taste, the hop flavors blend perfectly
M - slightly syrupy as you would expect for the style, moderate carbonation
D - outstanding drinkability - if I drank this blindly, I wouldn't guess it was anywhere close to 11%. While it is very bitter, the different hop characteristics are blended perfectly that it is very drinkable.

4.67/5  rDev -0.4%

On tap @ Monk's Cafe during there Russian River event. There was a line outside about 30min before the bar even opened at 11am. By the time the bar opened it was over 60 people long.

Poured a golden orange that seemed to glow in the tulip glass, leaving a swiss lacing. The smell of piney, citrusy, hops, was overwhelming. There were 6 beers on tap from Russian River and everyone started with the Younger and the smell of hops was in the air. The bitterness was unlike any DIPA I have ever had, an assault on the taste buds. Easy drinking too, even though I didn't to finish it so I sipped it

I know the Younger and Elder are 2 different beers, but to compare, I actually prefer the Elder, for the balance of it, usually I like my beers the hopper the better, but the Younger could use a little more malt, I guess thats where the Elder comes in. Either way a spectacular

3.95/5  rDev -15.8%

It smelled VERY strongly of hops. My nose is not fancy enough to decipher the different scents - to me, it was just super hoppy. It was light amber/gold, with no real head to speak of. It was sweet and watery when sipped, but had a syrupy feel on my lips afterward. It was nice, sweet, and subtle. Overall, the first half of the glass was really nice. However, after that...it just stopped being all that great. Maybe the hops killed my palate, I don't know. But it's not a beer I would drink a lot of.

4.42/5  rDev -5.8%

2009 vintage.

Pours a golden orange with red hues and a small off-white head.

The aroma is a bit shy at first, but looses up after a while. fruity exotic hop notes of grapefruit, peaches and mango. Then, a more peppery and piny hop character with hints of tobacco takes over. Quite a lot of caramel malts is present, as well is a hint of alcohol.

The flavor is big and intense. A wide range of flavors are present: sweet and sticky caramel malts at the base, and lots of layers of fresh hops. Exotic fruits, pine-needles, grass and resins. The finish is spectacular with a quick flare of warming alcohol, lots of bittering hops and hints of grass and peaches.

Full-bodied and sticky with a semi-dry finish.

This is a great beer. Better than Elder? Hard to decide, but the accentuated sweetness in this one sure makes them different.

4.13/5  rDev -11.9%

I got to try this for the first time in my life amidst a mass of beer geeks clambering over the taps at Blue Palms in Hollywood like brokers at the New York Stock Exchange. Luckily I was able to try it again 2 days later at Father's Office in Culver City where it was CONSIDERABLY lower-key, and where I easily got to order 2 glasses (the Blue Plams keg kicked in 7 minutes) and found a seat where I could sit and sip in peace.

It was hard trying to be unbiased considering the enormous hype surrounding the annual release of this "Triple"(?) IPA, especially considering my pre-existing love for overly-aggressive hops in beer. So bear that in mind regarding my write up and rating:

Served in a 14oz tulip glass (dang, just realized 2 glasses of that was a good amount of hooch!), PTY pours with a very attractive, hazy gold-yellow hue and a fine, robust and slightly frothy head.

The NOSE was - not surprisingly - chalk-full of pine, bright grapefruit and white pepper that almost jumped up and tickled your nose.

As far as the TASTE is concerned...11% is not supposed to be this refreshing. The punch-you-in-the-mouth hops and citrus are prominent on the front end. It's safe to say that the characteristic yet subtle caramel/malty balance that most DIPA's share is easily muted, here (not gone, just being wallflowers...they know their place), making the finish seem more like you were drinking a fresh-hopped, 7% rather than what you KNOW you're drinking...

Unlike most high ABV IPA's, Pliny the Younger has a very crisp, lightly carbonated and effervescent MOUTHFEEL that's not at all sticky, aside from a slight residual resiny tinge and a robust, lingering herbaceousness in the FINISH that is reminiscent of having taken a hit off of an ice cold cold bong about 30 minutes earlier. Seriously...there are a lot of hops in here.

Damn.

All I can say is this: this is a fantastic DIPA in it's own right, but by no means would I call it "The Best." There are more balanced IPA's out there; even those that showcase hops better. That being said: I have to admit that, in lieu of the drikability vs ABV quotient, I'd have to say this is the best/most dangerous high-alcohol IPA I've ever tried. Huge alcohol without being overly sweet or boozy. You've been warned.

4.8/5  rDev +2.3%

On tap at Toronado, San Francisco

Smell:grapefruit, pine, a little floral, the hops fill your senses with delight

Taste: Sweet, grapefruit, pine, slight spicy hints. Hops, hops, and some more hops. what was most surprising was the balance. incredible balance. The bitterness takes control of you but does no overpower. Similar to PtE but less harsh. 11% ABV but tastes like 6.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I could drink this all day, or until the 3rd glass when I fall over due to intoxication. So So drinkable due to the incredible balance.

Amazing brew, definitely the best beer in its class. A must for any hophead out there. Its a shame they only brew it once a year, but im sure my wallet appreciates that...

4.82/5  rDev +2.8%

Review from notes taken on 3/20/10 during TJ's: Younger and Elite friends event.

Presented in a 12oz snifter, served a bit too cold but was enjoyed throughout a long enough duration to let it warm up to an acceptable temp. Younger appears a little hazy golden yellow/orange-like color with a white creamy head. Slick amount of lace clings to the glass in a wall at places and legs droopy along other parts. The aroma of this beer has a piercing amount of hops. It is like a frontal assault of awesomeness in the form of scents and smells. Fruity nose of grapefruit, citrus, and a sweetness almost like cotton candy. Taste is a blend of the same malty sweetness reminding me of smooth cotton candy meets a ton of floral-like and super flavorful hops. Partially grassy and spicey and as it warms there are notes of bubblegum that comes out in the nose. For 11% seriously where is the alcohol? The presence of alcohol is noticeable in both warmth and taste but relatively compared it is so minor, smooth and just unlike any other beer I've had at over 10 abv. This beer is so hoppy but it is a flavorful hoppy not just all bitterness. Medium to light feel with a moderate amount of carbonation. This beer is so drinkable, I would love to have more but I am thankful and appreciative that we are limited to one serving. Slightly acidic in the finish with the way it starts to burn the back of the mouth/throat.

This was my second experience with the younger. The first time I had it was a month prior and I refused to take notes and just savor every sip. There is an evident change in this beer from just a month of time passing. However, overall this beer is absolutely awesome and a must try. For the greatest enjoyment and complexity of the experience, it should be enjoyed as fresh as possible.

A - served in a tulip glass
S - Very hoppy, citrus and floral
T - tasted hops and orange...great representation of style just perfect
M - after it warmed it was incredible, balanced from start to finish
D - excellent beer just perfect

4.92/5  rDev +4.9%

Source/Serving: Growler fresh from the brewery. It was insanity!

Smell: the intensity is incredible. Deep, rich, wonderful grapefruit flavors...though significant orange is present as well. Incredible floral notes as well...like burying your nose in a bouquet of alstroemerias or lillies. Amazingly it also smells like a rich, deep pine forest. There is so much going on you might not see the forest for the trees! There is a faint note of sweet malts even when cold - honey mostly - but caramel too...and being detectable under the hops is amazing. There is a nice musty, herbal roundness that adds interest. Tastes this side by side with Pliny the Elder and it tasted dull...amazing.

There is a misty, physical quality to the nose as well....the air feels think like it is over hot tea or soup.

Taste: The first tastes are quite sweet....thick, viscous, and oily Younger hits the palette with honey and caramel goodness. These mingle beautifully with grapefruit peel bitterness which is quite intense but not crushing at all. It's a pine hop explosion. The thick, oily mouthfeel makes it feel like your drinking the nectar of the gods. Its so heavy but retains its freshness and crispness.As much depth and complexity in the malts as the hops, bisquity and bready. Just before the finish there is intense but smooth grapefruit and grassy bitterness at the back of the throat that is accompanied by floral, honey, apricot, and some spicy notes. No hint of alcohol...so drinkable its insane. Finish is quite bitter, resinous with some spiciness and lingers forever.

This beer is balance, balance, balance. Not too sweet like Dogfishhead 120 was for me and not crushingly bitter like some of the Stone brews.

Notes: Taste this side by side a pint of Pliny the Elder. Elder had more lemon, more brown sugar, and more bitterness.

4.68/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap at O'Briens.

Incredibly well balanced with sweet hops, herbyness, skunk goodness, honey and citrus. This is 11 percent? It goes down so easy. Reminiscent of a blend of the best parts of our other favorite IPAs without the parts holding them back. Delightful.

Had this at the local 44.I felt very fortunate to have the opportunity to try this and even more so to have it in a nice peaceful local with not that many people. I've read some of the reports of PtY madness at other tappings.

From memory: What can I say, It was the smoothest, best balanced beer I've ever had. The smell was intoxicating with tropical fruitiness and some nice hops right off the bat.

Taste was less hoppy that Pliny the Elder or just better balanced ? Could not tell that it was 11% abv. Mouthfeel was not very heavy but not weak by any means. Just really an incredible experience.

I just can't wait to have it again someday !

4.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Union Jack's Easter Hopfest on 04.03.2010.

A: Poured a pale apricot with a very nice, fluffy white head with loads of lacing as it goes down.

S: Bitter hops apparent from the beginning. Mostly tropical--mango and pineapple, mostly--alongside some grapefruit and other citrus notes. Not an iota of malt sweetness in the background.

T: Mango, pineapple, grapefruit, and apricot come from the hops. Apparently I need a hop break, as this one was bitter, but I didn't detect it much at all. The bitterness really complemented the fruitiness of the beer. Interesting "fruit" character, as the hops provided plenty of fruity characteristics without any actual sweetness.

M: Medium bodied, fairly dry, and good carbonation.

D: Amazing that I finally got to try this one after having so many things fall through this year. Looking forward to having it again next year, when I may just have to go straight to the source.

4.45/5  rDev -5.1%

A - served in a tulip glass, clear just the right head, like fabulous

S - Very hoppy, citrus and floral very inviting

T - First sip was too cold, let beer warm for about 20 minutes and then TADA, tasted hops and orange...great representation of style

M - after it warmed it was incredible, balanced from start to finish, no acidity or aftertaste

D - excellent beer, i am not a hop head, but this beer could convert me. I get why it is so well regarded

4.87/5  rDev +3.8%

(Review from longgg backlog of notes)

Draft pour into a 9 oz snifter. I was lucky enough to have the Younger a few times this year and each time I paid for it, it was right around $8. The hype that surrounds this beer is maniacal... although it is definitely warranted. Sixtels kick in 15 minutes flat.

A: Pliny the Younger pours with an average size head. It is creamy, foamy, stark white & long lasting. Lacing is a notch above good. The light golden orange body is predominantly clear with just a touch of haze. (The last experience I had with this beer was the 66th of around 70 pours and was extremely hazy.)

S: Average level of maltiness for a DIPA, sweet sugar cookie, lightly toasted. The malts are as present as they need to be to avoid being completely overshadowed by the relentless hops. The hops are insanely juicy and sweet, heavy handed in the citrus department (pink grapefruit first, mandarin orange second) & backed up by healthy levels of pine aroma.

T: Additional tropical flavors come through in generous portions: Clementines, peaches and pineapples. The flavor duration is long, with moderately high sweetness and hop bitterness in perfect equilibrium. No shame in a small amount of the 11% ABV coming through.

M: The mouthfeel is medium-full with just the right amount of lively, spritzy effervescence to cut through the sweet/bitter combination and almost completely offset any warming alcohol. The carbonation literally captivates every taste bud on the tongue, front to back, except for those enormous ones all the way in the back, it skips those.

D: Speaks for itself.

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Growler shared by alexsdad06. Poured clear bright copper color with a large frothy off-white head that was lasted with excellent lacing. Heavy complex sour citrus hop and alcohol aroma. Medium to full body with dry slick texture and soft carbonation. Heavy smooth bitter citrus flavor with a heavy bitter finish of long duration with a small alcohol burn as it warms. This is a standout beer. Thanks Brad.

4.2/5  rDev -10.4%

Had this on tap at a few places during SF Beer week but this review is based on the pint at had at Pi Bar during Russian River night.
Pliny the Younger- Imperial IPA & 10.75%. It poured a golden vitamin pee yellow with a touch of white cream for a head. It smelled of lemon, lime peel, pine, grass and hops. It tasted surprisingly sweet with a bitter grapefruit peel on the back of the throat. It left my mouth tingly and dry.

4.77/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap at TJs in PA for the pouring event. After PtE, Supplication and Consecration (hour or so rest for my palate), how could my day get any better? Served in a snifter at 4PM, I was #14 on the list and showed up 15 minutes before they opened, awesome. The beer is golden-copper with a nice ring and very sticky suds. Light lacing is left and a really cool looking cloud stays in the middle of the beer for the entire experience. Smell is right up there with the best hop aromas for me. I homebrew but still don't understand how to extract hop notes like this. The hops lend citrus, tons of floral and earthy, fruity and pine to a balance of greatness. There is some malt in the background (11% ABV!) and it balances the aroma to perfection. I have rarely had a 10%+ beer with no alcohol in the aroma, impressive. The taste is also one of the best. First off, while sipping on this for probably over an hour, no alcohol ever came into play, ridiculous. The hop profile is once again very earthy and floral and also citrus and fruity. Even some herbal notes come through. A nice malt backbone helps the beer become whole. The malts are like a very good homebrew wort to me and go in nicely with the hops. Mouthfeel was moderate-heavy with great low-medium carbonation that I prefer in huge beers. A really nice warmth hits the tongue along with the perfect amount of bitterness. The creaminess in the feel was very nice. At $6.25 per glass and 11% ABV, this is probably the most dangerous beer I have come across. The drinkability is frightening. I could session this and think it was 5-6% at most, vastly impressive brew.

4.73/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

On-tap, served in a snifter

Appears a golden orange with pretty good clarity and some tiny bubbles pushing their way through the viscous liquid. A small, yellowish cap and dots of lacing.

The aroma fills the air, and from an arm's length away, you get strong waves of apricot, papaya and mango. Outside of tropical fruit, you get fresh cut pine needles and sticky, resiny hops. There is a small trace of sweet, toasted malt. The aroma is where this beer really shines, so pleasing and inviting.

Wow, perfection. They found an even better balance than the elder while still delivering a crisp, dry, bitter hop bite. Apricots, mangoes, pineapple, and papaya with fresh cut pine and a resinous, viscous body. These hops stand tall and bright with just the right amount of bitterness to let you know this guy means business.

Resiny, viscous body but not heavy. Creamy and lush. The finish is dry and bitter. Only a touch of warming once you get 3/4ths of the way through the glass.

This was a breeze. I couldn't get it away from nose and I really had to tell myself to slow down. It is just too damn delicious.

4.62/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to JZED for sharing and bringing this precious resource back to Ontario from California.

Great clear straw yellow colour and great hopped citric and herbal-pine aroma. The taste is complex and has a nice level of finishing bitterness. Smooth to start and semi-dry to finish with low courseness from a good level of carbonation.

Now let's get to the point:
Outstanding aroma when you get half-way through the beer and it warms a little... Suddenly I'm convinced that I'm smelling pineapple juice. Incredible.

I just wish I could get this in Ontario. I know what I'll be seeking when I travel afar...

4.94/5  rDev +5.3%

First beer review, I'd say I'm starting it off right. A thousand thank you's to Hayes for sharing his growler, it was overnighted to him so still very fresh!

The beer poured a deep gold with an off white head. Fairly transparent, not really what I was expecting for a beer with such an awesome rep - I wouldn't have guessed it was such an amazing beer just to look at it. However, this was the only aspect of the beer that didn't live up to or exceed my expectations.

This beer smells awesome, it is right up there with the best smelling beers I've come across. Awesome taste, wow. There's a wonderful balance of fruity citrus and hops. Tons and tons of hops, but enough other flavors to lend it a nice balance and not make it bitter. This is definitely one of the best tasting beers I've had, maybe the best.

The mouthfeel was probably the aspect that exceeded my expectations the most. Really thick, not at all like many IPAs I've had - more like a good stout really. This is what sets the younger apart from my other favorite IPAs for me. Very easy to drink too, almost no bite from the alcohol and like I mentioned before it wasn't unpleasantly bitter. I could drink this all night

Like I said, I'm infinitely thankful for being given the chance to try this beer, but I would love to have had more of it. Visiting the brewery to have it on tap is now on my bucket list, fantastic beer overall I hope you all get the chance to try it!

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company