Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,816
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Much thanks to Sugit for providing this growler. This was definitely an experience, and we drank it on the very day (2/13/10) it takes the BA #1 spot. There isn't much that hasn't already been said, but here are my thoughts.

A - Pours a light amber, golden color (lighter than expected) with impressive 2 finger head. Impressive, of course, because of the 11% ABV and the week's time spent in the growler. Interestingly, there were many tiny flecks apparent when looking closely at the glass. Are these hop chunks?

S - For a hop lover, this is worth the price alone. It was overpowering in a very good way. If you try really hard, you can tell there are some malts in the beer. You'd never be able to tell there was any alcohol though. How did that happen??

T&M - We had a chance to drink this at the same time as Pliny the Elder. It made Elder taste like Pliny Lite. They were similar, with Younger being everything Elder was, only amped up. Of course, the hops are on a whole different level, but the malt backbone in Younger compared to Elder is quite a bit more pronounced, especially as the beer warms. Still a lighter mouthfeel compared to others in the IIPA/IIIPA category, even with the added malt backbone.

D - This is the third time I've said this, but where is the alcohol? At first, I was sure the 11% was a lie. Then, the kink I had in my back faded away, along with all the world's troubles. It was a good thing the growler was the size it was. I had no power to stop drinking this on my own. See you next year, hopefully!

4.53/5  rDev -3.2%

Many, many thanks to Wespatrick for sharing this gem. Had at a tasting last night, Feb 13th. Reviewed from notes.

"Well, here we are then, gents. It's officially.. well, apparently, the best in the land."
"Go ON then, let's have at it!"
A hissy-pop and up swings the cap, as the aroma already begins to waft about the room, blending with the cheese-and-crackers upon the table, and making quite a name for itself, though we have yet to tilt it.
A glug-glug and it's in the glass in front of me, and the seriousness of evaluating comes due.
There's an almost-clear orange with tiny specks afloat throughout... "What is that?" "What?" "The specks there." "I don't see them." "Don your glassies then, old man!" "Ah... I suppose just a lack of filtering, then, and perhaps tiny hop-pebbles." "Lovely."
A finger-thick head rises up but settles quickly, at first gives the illusion of lace, but then shows itself to be sliding down after every savory sip.
A long, enjoyable whif, and the loads of grapefruit and resin come out. "Gents, it smells just like Sculpin!" "Ah, come off it, not just like Sculpin!" "No. Really."
The aroma and flavour are both monstrously grapefruity, with just a bit of resin thrown in... "Come along fellows, let us be honest, all of us know what a grapefruit tastes like, but when was the last time you chewed pine needles?" "Ah... what time is it? About... eight hours ago." Guffaws all round.
The percentage really does little to show itself except in a bit of warming after each swallow. The carbonation is medium-high, the body is rather thin, it's a tad boozy. But just a tad. "Really though? Have you ever had an 11% that was so drinkable?" "Yes sir. Unearthly." "Ah. Touche."
It only makes sense, as Wes pointed out, that this be the number one DIPA on the site, with Sculpin being the number 1 IPA. I could not get it out of my head that this beer is precisely imperial Sculpin. Just the same dangerous drinkability (As in, if a drinkability scale could go higher than five, this beer would be there), the exact same grapefruit-dominant hop profile, an excellent and well-crafted beer. The best DIPA? Not to my palate, but obviously well-deserving.

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

After tap, now on to the growler courtesy of Grabbin2nd.
Growler popped loud and we all scream YESSS!Poured a nice golden orangish color with great carbonation and nice white head. Nose is pine, grapefruit, booze, perhaps hint of ornage peel. Taste is pine, grapefruit murdering the palate with hops, bittering medium way with floral, citrus and hop oils coming out, caramel and booze being pretty subdued by all the damn flavors. Mouthfeel is light booze, stinging, oils but dry at the same time, pine. Drinkability, best enjoyed with many friends.

TaNgerine hued copper, slight haze--yeast or dry hopping?
Slight offwhite head. Struggling carbonation. Gorgeous
from the looks this is a substancial beverage...it sits in a Belgian tulip glass ready to pounce like a massive orange tiger.

Get anywhere within a few feet of this beverage and you'll be treated to a blast of dank citrusy floral spicy deliciousness.
Pure hop oils pulsating, filling the air and your nostrils in a way that no other dipa can do. Put your nose to the glass and it smells like opening vacuum sealed packets of all the finest
american hop varieties put together in a symphony of perfection.
Such amazing hop design going on here.

Drinking it unloads this symphony of aroma into your mouth. Take a sip and you'll quickly want a gulp--this is 11% abv but somehow it drinks like a session beer. Flavor is rich sticky resiny hops balanced with tropical fruit citrus pine dank garlic
spicy herbal. The resins just coat your mouth and suck you in

how does a beer this big with so much ibu and dry hopping finish so dry? I can't figure it out. Insanely good and my favorite double ipa of all time. Year after year Russian river kicks total ass with this one

4.68/5  rDev 0%

Many Thanks to a very generous trader for hooking me up with this one. I can't thank you enough (!), especially with all the craziness surrounding the release. I split this side by side with Elder (bottled 1/14) with my homie Jeff the other night.

Pours a surprisingly clear orangey amber. Darker than elder, but still has a bit of chill haze. Sturdy white-ish foam has better retention than elder (surprisingly), good spottyish lacing. Very attractive, such an innocent looking beer for a concoction of this magnitude both in its abv and flavor profile. Some of the final pours from the growler sent (hop?) particles into suspension.

Hop aromas are mostly sappy, sticky pine, but a definite woodiness to it (not oak though), first noted by my fellow taster, Jeff. Some tropical fruit and juicy grapefruit. A little booze in the nose is undeniable as it warms with just the slightest sweet malt note through the back. Still, this subtle alcohol note is nowhere near enough to indicate its 11% strength. I really liked the hop profile, but I was expecting it to be slightly more pungent. I'm sure it's a little better on tap at the source, but this was still an excellent aroma. Compared to elder, it was a similar hop profile, but there was actually more caramel in elder's aroma.

Taste is just as great. Very firm bitterness lasts throughout. Great, expressive hop flavor with juicy citrus and pineapple. The most surprising thing about this beer is the mouthfeel. It is substantial as fuck. It would be a 6 if possible. Great and chewy and just so unlike any other DIPA. So naturally, with that amount of residual sugar, there is some caramel malt sweetness mid palate - but it is at times easily overshadowed by the hop blast. Booze is less apparent than in the aroma, but still just hinted at. Once again, nowhere near the 11% which is very impressive. The lasting hop bitterness outplays any booze that might have otherwise been able to linger.

Really drinkable. As soon as I took my first sip I was questioning the 11%, and still questioned it during the last glass I poured. Such a pleasant experience and overall just really an amazing beer. Vinnie continues to amaze the craft beer world with masterful brews like this one. I look forward to trying this in future years and hopefully at the source one day. I am very lucky to have been able to try it and will have to try and find a way to pay back the generous trader who sent it out. Cheers!

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

HUGE thanks to Chad, a fellow Hoosier that's been transplanted to California. 64oz swing-top growler from the brewery. Served in an oversized tulip and shared with fellow BA infestaxion.

A: Pours a magnificent looking crystal golden orange. A finger plus of white, pitted fluff sits on top, taking it's sweet time to fade. Lacing is fantastic, leaving patchy white remnants all over the glass.

S: The first thing that comes to me is this is the United Nations of hops. There is big juicy citrus and tropical fruit notes, mango, papaya, pineapple and tangerines. Underneath that bouquet is some dirty, grassy hops that impart a decent amount of pine. When I popped the growler and poured the first glass, my friend could smell the beer from 7-8 feet away. Yea, it's that good.

T: Pure hoppy bliss. Much of what I detailed above transfers over to the taste. The hops and malts mesh perfectly, providing some nice bitterness and counter balancing sweetness. Most impressive is the finish, which imparts a level of complexity I've not had in a DIPA before. The aftertaste also leaves a great hoppy presence and a big damn smile on your face.

M: Thick, creamy, smooth, silky, sexy, beefy and not overly sticky. Carbonation is about a perfect as you can get. Bottom line is this is everything you want in a big, fresh Double IPA.

D: If this wasn't already listed as 11% ABV, I wouldn't have believed it. There is very little trace of heat or booze present. The bitterness and sweetness do add up over multiple servings, but for such a big hoppy beer it doesn't get much more drinkable than this.

This is one of those beers that certainly lives up to the hype. Vinnie and Russian River have delivered what has to be one of the best Double IPA's on the planet. I'm really glad I had the chance to sample this fantastic brew. Hopefully down the road when they have the capacity, RR will bottle this beer and more people will have a chance to try it.

Growler from augustgarage. Many thanks!

Poured into my Firestone Walker pint glass.

A- Lighter than expected.. golden honey in color. 3-finger head that laces impossibly well for an 11% beer. Must be the hops, lol. There's a half-finger of head that refuses to go away.. carbonation looks like it held up well in the cross-country trek.

I've never seen a beer over 10% that has head retention like this.. especially a week-old growler. Damn. Creamy as all hell... lacing is fire-extinguisher-esque in body.

S- Hop assault. Piny, fruity, floral. Similar to Pliny the Elder, just a bit more behind it.

T- Citrus hops, full-throttle. Tangerine/grapefruit and a bit of pineapple. Some tropical mango/papaya. Some pine hops, which come through as 'new-growth' with a bit of an octane quality. A bit of booze and a bit of a peppery note in the finish. This beer is incredibly fresh.

M- Where's the ABV? Choked out by the hops. Phenomenal. I cannot believe this is 11%. Dry.. and I can't believe how much the sweetness of an 11% DIPA is in check. I've had 8% beers that have more cloying sweetness to them.

D- Insane. Growler was no problem. This beer lives up to any and all hype. Takes everything I love about Pliny the Elder and fucking doubles down. Whoa. Excuse the profanity.. the stealth ABV must be creeping in.

I've reviewed 300+ beers and enjoyed probably close to 500 beers since joining beeradvocate. This is, by leaps and bounds, the best beer I've had. And here I thought I was getting sick of DIPAs. Holy. shit.

For those of you living vicariously through reviews, PtE and Alpine Pure Hoppiness are close flavor-wise.

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Growler received from jfh. Thanks a ton for this one! Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear, light orange copper color with a finger of fluffy off white head that leaves some nice sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Surprisingly good amount of head for such a strong beer.

S - Could smell this one from a couple of feet away from the glass. Huge hit of hops - tons of grapefruit, some peach, lots of pine. Just huge hop aromas - a hop lovers dream. A hint of sweetness, maybe a bit flowery in there, seems to enhance the hops.

T - Hops up front as expected. Loads of citrus...this could replace my grapefruit juice in the mornings. Lots of pine sitting side by side with the grapefruit, along with some peach and mango...maybe even a slight touch of lemons too. Still pretty dry, but compared to the Elder, there is much more of a malt backbone in here...a bit sugary, a bit caramelly. This is defnitely part of the flavor profile, but it really sits far in the background and doesn't interfere at all with the hops...there's nothing stopping hops on here.

M - Quite full bodied...more so than I expected. Hops really must be overpowering the unfermented sugars left behind here. Given the relative dryness of this beer, I expected a thinner body, but this is definitely on the thick side. Carbonation is the typical Russian River smooth...tiny, fine carbonation bubbles give a prickly but velvety smooth feel (as a homebrewer, I wish I knew how to achieve this carbonation character - I'm envious). Mouth is filled with resiny, bitter hops and seems to leave a film of hops oils behind. Excellent.

D - For an 11.0% beer, this is extremely smooth. I would almost call this too damn drinkable. If I was sitting somewhere with this on tap, I feel like I could quickly put away a few of these and end up in real trouble. Really well done example showing how drinkable a high alcohol beer can be...

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

APPEARANCE
Pours a clear gold color with medium white head. Lots of sticky lacing.
AROMA
Light citrus and grassy notes. It smells delicious but honestly I expected a bigger aroma.
FLAVOR
Grassy , citrusy hops perfectly balanced with sugar cookie malt. Tropical fruit (pineapple), and grapefruit predominantly. I love the way the hops slowly fades away. How is it possible for a beer to be so bitter and smooth at the same time.
MOUTHFEEL
Medium body with a silky texture. Moderate carbonation.
DRINKABILITY
I was a little worried that this beer was not going to meet my high expectations. I am happy to say it did. To me it drinks like a fine wine. It is hoppy but perfectly balanced with malt. It is high in alcohol but I struggle to pick it up. I just wish you could get it more often.

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

I was totally stoked to get a growler of this in the mail yesterday. Many many many thanks again go out to mjl21...Mike you made my year with this beer!

A- Pours a light hazed golden light copper color. One finger fluffy white head stays for a short bit. I wasn't expecting this with the ABV so high. Streaky lacing down the entire tulip as I drank away.

S- This is a citrus hop bomb. Everything smells so fresh that I can't believe it. In your face aromas of pineapple, orange, grapefruit, and even apricot thrown in there for good clean fruity goodness. Very light caramel malt backbone that only makes it way in hints to the nose. Alcohol is not really present until a little more into the beer. But even when this thing is warm the alcohol doesn't make itself known. No real bitter or piney hops in the nose as at all.

T- The citrus hops that are in the aroma are still here in the beer but not as overpowering. Still real big citrus hops right off the bat. Some light bready malts in the middle help to balance this for a second before hops take over once again toward the end. The alcohol makes a bigger presence once the beer warms but it still is nothing that you really notice at all. This is a very hops forward beer that makes a blend of cirtus-y hops and not just one.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is perfect for the beer. Leaves a very oily hop resin over everything in the mouth...teeth included. Hops are all over the palate and aftertaste is more citrus hops. Drying on the palate. Very smooth without any jerking motion in the flavors. Crisp and very clean tasting.

D- This is one hell of a drinking beer. I only labeled it a 4.5 in drinkability because although I could sip on this all day I would not want to waste the experiance on getting trashed! I would recommend this beer to everyone out there. The high ABV limits this beer but I could have finished this growler in one sitting....I just wanted to remember how everything tasted though.

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

I can honestly say this is a beer that I never thought I'd have the opportunity to drink, but I'm extremely grateful to chris for hooking me up with a growler from the most recent release. I am especially thankful because it sounds like it sold out in about 5 hours this year.

I'll be the first to say that IPA's are not my favorite style, but I do have a select few that I enjoy a great deal and so my rating of this beer is in comparison to the IPA's and double IPA's that I love.

First, let me start by saying that the growler that this came in was one of the coolest looking growlers I've ever seen...that by itself was a good start to this beer. I popped the top on the growler the night I received it in the mail which was exactly one week from when it was poured and the top popped as if it were poured yesterday. It pours a beautiful dark straw orange color with 3 fingers of heavy and a generous amount of carbonation. The head eventually dwindles down to a thin lacing on top of the beer, but this lacing never disappears which i thought was really impressive with this beer. It also leave a generous amount of lacing around my pint glass. The smell is incredibly balanced. I expected a hop bomb, but what I got was sooo much more. Smells of dry malt, citrusy hoppiness, pine. Its actually very effervescent and very pleasent to smell. The taste and mouthfeel were even better than the smell. I can't believe this is 11%. I could seriously drink a ton of this beer in a sitting and never get bored with it. Great balance of intial citrus hops, pine, mint and malt. Whats great though is that the finish is dry without any annoying after tastes that I usually get from big IPA's. Like I said this is absolutely delicious and oh so drinkable. I definetely felt the alcohol as the night went on, but just delicious to drink and not too over powering. I wish this beer was produced more often because I really love it. I've had seeral other highly rated IPA's including 3Floyds Dreadnaught, Pliny the Elder, Expoential Hoppiness, Pure Hoppiness, Sculpin IPA, Bells HopSlam and the only one I would put on par with Younger is the Pure Hoppiness from Alpine, but this wins out I think just based on the drinkability. I've read several threads about the quality of this beer not being what it used to. Even if thats the case it is certainly deserving of the hype it gets and is without a doubt one of the 1,2 or 3 best IPA's in the world.

4.43/5  rDev -5.3%

Nice clear golden pour with two fingers of sticky head. The smell is an absolutely blistering assault on the senses. Sinus cleansing levels of hops. Huge floral and pine notes with an underlying orange peel citrus aroma. This takes the bar set by other west coast IPAs and throws it like a javelin through the heart of restraint.

The taste follows suit. Gigantic hop flavor envelops every crevice of my mouth with pine resin and earthy bitterness. There is no attempt at subtlety, nor do I imagine there should be. This beer is designed to showcase the hop, and it does so as though it would be the beer we gave to alien visitors to help them understand the wonders of our planet. But does it separate itself from the rest of the pack? It is certainly a tough task considering the sheer number of beers just like it that come from the West Coast. I'm not really sure it accomplishes that separation.

The body is full/medium and carbonation is at good levels. I was surprised to find that this washed down very clean, I was expecting a much higher level of stickiness.

Drinkability is solid for an 11% beer. Overall this is definitely one of the top 10 DIPA's I've had. A hophead's dream, I'm sure. To me, simply a great beer.

Has it really been a year since I sipped this delicious nectar? Yes. Yes it has.

Far too long.

A season has come and gone. Winter has given way to summer, and again submitted to the chilling winds of the North.

This beer is beautiful. Crisp and golden, with a head that should not be possible for a 11% ABV beer. To gaze at this beer, is to look at beer porn

Smell is very citric, a contrast to the more pine-like Elder.

Taste is OSUHJFOHHJKKkkk. Impossible to put into words -- Heavenly. Strong citrus hops with a malt backbone that is certainly pronounced, but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel -- Again, this beer defies its ABV with a crisp mouthfeel that is light on the tongue. Doesn't finish quite as dry as Elder

Drinkability - Finished two imperial pints, and would have had more if there weren't health/safety issues to consider.

4.65/5  rDev -0.6%

A huge thanks goes out to my buddy Ryan for hooking me up with this. After two years gone by of PtY trades falling through, Ryan stepped up big, not to mention the best packaging job I've ever seen on a growler.

The top of the growler pops with a nice hiss and white smoke. Aroma literally pours out of the growler.

A: This pours a thick, sticky, resiny light copper with a nice one finger head. For the ABV and size of this beer, I was expecting it to be a bit darker, but this was fairly light (similar in color to Sculpin). The head surprisingly lasts a while and has mediocre lacing. Great carbonation streaming slowly from the base of the glass.

S: Unfrigginbelieveable. Imagine your head inside a bucket of fresh orange, pineapple, apricot, and grapefruit and you will successfully simulate the PtY aroma experience. This is the best smelling DIPA (or is it TIPA) that I have ever had. The blast of citrus is unbelievable. As it warms up, some alcohol aroma is apparent, but it is really masked by the citrus hops. No pine or grassy hops detected whatsoever. Also not much caramel or malt backing detected in the smell. Straight up citrus explosion.

T: Tasted cold, this was smooth as hell, with the citrus flavors subdued. It coats your entire mouth with thick, sticky, hop resin goodness. As it warms, the beer gets exponentially better. The alcohol comes out, but seems to enhance the citrus and hop experience. I preferred it better a little warmer.

M/D: This is a thick and sticky DIPA. I found myself continually going back to the growler though, hoping more would appear.

Overall, this lived up to the hype. Best DIPA I have had? I would probably say not, but it is damn close.

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a growler into my Duvel tulip thanks to Evan, thanks again brah! I owe you big time!

A - Orange with yellow highlights. Tiny head with big bubbles and a small head as you sip down the brew.

S - Big time hops with alcohol and malt mixed in. Hard to describe but it's outstanding! Some citrus, lots of pine too. Whatever Vinny did here is working.

T - Hops, hops and more hops. It basically owns your entire palate with an assortment of hops. It's a controlled chaos though, you can find balance in the big malts in the brew. A fantastic array of flavor. I can't really describe it. I guess from what I know it's like Hopslam without the honey. It's more aggressive than Hopslam, ti's not as mellowed out.

M - Low carbonation on the heavier side of medium.

D - High. It's not necessarily perfect but the flavors don't keep your lips far from the glass. As it warms, the alcohol becomes a tad more apparent but it's still masked well.

Overall, I'd say this beer is almost an exercise in perfection. A complete expression of perfection on the higher alcoholic version of a DIPA. Great job, Russian River and thanks again for the taste Evan!

Received my growler today from moosington-thanks man, this sure was a great trade. It is being shared with two BA's. I start the evening of excitement with the unveiling of the growler.

Poured into a duvel glass the color is light orange with a golden glow. Head is large bubble bit perfect.

Aroma is hopcentric from sniff one. There is a sweet malt behind the hops but the juicy, fruity hop smells are delicious to the nose.

Flavor is full, robust and again riddled with hops. There is a fairly prominent malt backbone but this monster is not sweet. The alcohol is well hidden but sneaks up quickly. If you're a hophead you'll love this grand double IPA.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Not too thin, not too thick, just perfect. This DIPA is a touch drier than any I've ever had; I think its the water.

Drinkability is off the charts. The alcohol is muted, and the flavor volume is tuned up. What an amazing beer. In fact its my only all 5's beer - and for good reason. I will definately seek this one out again; in fact I may go to the release next year.

Before this hopslam was my favorite DIPA, not anymore. West scores again.

4.65/5  rDev -0.6%

MAMMOTH thanks to JMoore for this.

Yeah, its pretty great. Smells like hops, and weed, and hops, and citrus, and hops.

Everything good about every IPA in one conventient beer. Citrus, pine, sweet, sticky, etc. As incredible as one would think, but still a touch less than AMAZING. Is it worth IT? Probably not. But still wonderful, probably the best ever.

Had it side to side with Hopslam, and PtY clearly won.

4.45/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a deep amber gold with a thin bubbly off white head. Retention is average, nothing special.

Smell is of massive hops, big pine and citrus noes come through. Pretty much all hops, with a little sweet malt coming through lightly.

Big, bitter, tongue bruising and beautiful. Tons of grapefruit and pine flavors. One of the more bitter DIPAs I have to date. A little bit of caramel malt comes through. Lots of alpha acids and hops, hops, hops.

Full bodied , acidic. Bitterness lingers on the tongue for hours.

Good drinkability for a beer this big. Overall a great DIPA, maybe not worthy of all the hype, but still a terrific beer.

4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

As a huge fan of The Elder, I waited patiently to find the Younger and was frustrated by near misses and the grim prospect of never actually tasting this beer. Sheer serendipity brought it to my lips; the tapping was unannounced and no sign was displayed. "We're just trying to keep it mellow, so don't make a big deal about it," the bartender advised.
While I heeded that advice, I had a hard time concealing my smile and, probably, erection.
A. A dim gold with minimal head and a faint cloudliness. Lacing is minimal. Tiny champagne bubble on the base of the tulip.
S. Phenomenal nose. Resinous hops, notes of oily pine, some citrus. It just smells active and robust.
T Although its stratospheric IBU count might suggest otherwise, this is drinkable, surprisingly it seemed more active after a fresh pour while some IPAs I've had need to sit. I liked this served cold. Just alive with IBUs and hops. I kept tasting this circle, like one element of fed into the other. As I breathed through my nose, I just tasted a spiraled spectrum of bitterness noted with dank, oily pine. It didn't so much taste as it performed. I wasn't tasting something, a process was happening in my mouth. Excellent beer.
M. Sparkly from carbonation, but gentle. This would work completely flat, but, again, the carbonation moves the flavor.
D. This didn't taste like 11 percent ABV at all, closer to 7.5-7.9.
Easily the best TIPA or DIPA or IPA I've ever had. Just a pleasure to drink. Well worth the effort I made to get this at the right time and well worth the wait.

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

HUGE Thanks to Jerz for hooking me and my crew up! We don't get a lot of good beer up in Fargo, so this is a treat!

Growler opens with a nice big pop.

Poured into Bruery snifter.

Pours 1 finger of white head. Pretty decent retention. Leaves a lot of lace rings. Color is a clear golden bronze.

Aroma: Sweet floral hops, has some sugar flavors to it, it has a lot of pine notes which is really nice. Big grapefruit citrus with some other blended into it. The aroma is huge hops and a nice sweet malty profile.

Taste: It starts out with a massive amount of pine hops (some floral hop profile). It is sweet, but bitter. The malts are bready, but don't balance it out too much, which is good. The grapefruit citrus is dominate and really brings a lot to this beer. Maybe some orange citrus sticking out a bit.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but nothing that overly done which is really nice. It is incredibly smooth. It has a much bigger body than any other ipa. Just massive and tasty. A nice amount of carbonation. Ends very very clean for the style.

Overall, this beer is very fine. Lots of massive flavor and incredibly drinkable. My part of this growler of this is going fast and is incredibly easy to drink. You really can't get a much better beer for this style. This beer deserves to be at the top of its class. Thanks a ton Jer for getting this growler! Everyone loved the beer and was happy to try it.

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

Paid $6.25 for a 12oz pour into a pint glass at the Englander in San Leandro, CA.

Small white head with minimal retention and excellent lacing. Glowing orange DIPA color.

Nose is an overwhelming hop bouquet. Grapefruit citrus all the way. I thought this was less piney but more hoppy than the Elder which was my favorite beer up until today.

Taste is unrelentlessly bitter and hoppy. Very pungent of grapefruit and citrus. Puckeringly delicious.

Not quite as creamy and smooth as the Elder, but still quite nice. A long hoppy finish that keeps you wanting more and more. Absolutely no hints of the high ABV which slowly sneaks up on you. So drinkable it is scary. Meduim body and perfectly carbonated.

Easily my new favorite beer. The bar only let you have two 12oz pours, so my third beer was an Elder and it seemed somewhat tame and more malty to me after having the Younger.

4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

On tap at Toronado SD, into a tulip:

A: Faintly amber gold in color, 1 finger white head, leaving some slight lacing.

S: Assertive hops with whiff of sweet malts. Resembles the Elder, though slightly restrained.

T: Very balanced for a beer its size. Malt and hops linger on the back end together very nicely. Grain and smooth, unaggressive hops.

M: Fantastic blend of carbonation, sweet malt, and bitterness. Goes down very easy.

D: Alcohol hit me a bit hard, but this is easy drinking for a DIPA.

Highly recommended. Like the Elder, but more in balance and more... elegant.

4.72/5  rDev +0.9%

Received a growler as part of a trade with Ricand. He sent it overnight from California to Indiana so that I could have it as fresh as possible. Gathered with four friends they day it arrived. I've been waiting to try this beer for a LONG time, and was very excited to finally give it a shot. Thanks again, Rick!

Had that wonderful *pop* as we cracked open the Russian River signature growler. Poured into five different vintage "Rose Polytechnic" beer glass (only broken out for special occasions, of course). Pours a dark golden (almost approaching orange) color with a foamy off-white head. Nothing out of the ordinary for such a beer, but a good looking glass nonetheless. As could be expected, there was very little lacing left behind.

I've always said that Hopslam is about as good as it gets as far as smell is concerned. I guess I have to add a qualification from now on and say "unless one is fortunate enough to have a shot at The Younger." A truly divine nose with great big hops. Full of citrus - primarily grapefruit, but sweeter fruits as well. Also a bit of a flowery smell...A wonderful balance of sweetness and hoppiness!

This is a hop machine! A wonderful blast of citrus grabs you right off the bat before retreating just enough to let the sweet fruit come through. Grapefruit upfront and then milder tropical fruits right after. A thick and slightly oily/resiny, almost creamy, mouthfeel. Very full...we all enjoyed this aspect very much. The bitter finish was very good as well, although not quite on the same level as the rest of flavor. Very, very impressive overall!

I can certainly say that the one glass I had was not nearly enough. Extremely smooth, with no alcohol bite whatsoever. I could have continued drinking this throughout the evening, if only we had more! I'm sure there was a bit lost in the growler transfer, and I look forward to the day that I get to drink straight from the source!

Consumed 2/9/2010

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

I've been lucky enough to have a good share of this beer over the last week at both the release day and at the DIPA fest and enjoyed it immensely but the social nature of said events didn't permit me to take notes. I'm reviewing tonight from my only growler. From notes 02/10/10.

Bright and clean amber orange in color. The somewhat rough pour from the growler forms a large fortune cookie colored head. Retention is amazing and lacing is second only to The Elder.

Citrus is big on the aroma with a burst of tangerine and pineapple which is anchored down by great oily pine and floral notes.

First sip adds the typical grapefruit blast of most DIPA's (I'm not a fan of the Triple IPA moniker) to the other citrus characteristics noted on the aroma. In addition to the fruitiness this beer is insanely fresh, green, and oily tasting and reminds me a little of a fresh hop brew. The aftertaste is pungent, dry, bitter and grassy. The finish actually makes me imagine I'm chewing on fresh hop residue. Malts are subtle and slightly bready but really don't seem to be a big part of the show.

Carbonation has held up extremely well on this 5 day old growler which I find heartening since it means that my trading partner will get to taste this beer at its intended quality when he receives it in the next few days.

This beer drinks at about 6.5% with no clear alcohol flavor or heat. Respect this one though, the ABV will catch up with you (a lesson I've not fully learned and this is my third year having this beer).

Slightly better than last year's batch, this is hands down the best IPA of this strength I've ever tried and probably the best overall. I hope the next few years see more kegs distributed so more people can try this beer.

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

on tap

S: As expected big doses of floral/pine/citrus hops, w/some sweet maltiness as well.

A: Deep orange, thick white head.

T: Similar to elder, but beefed up 4% and a ton more hop flavor. Citrus, pine, floral big american hop flavors. Big bitter dry finish.

M/D: Fairly thick and full mouthfeel as to be expected of a big beer. Still not noticeably boozy or sweet. Just the pure bitterness hurts drinkability a bit.

Overall: Definitely one of the great DIPA's of the world, but IMO possibly not the best. I've heard that previous years batches were better and I might believe it.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company