Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,179
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
antilogic

4.68/5  rDev -0.2%

Served on tap at O'brien's TION night in a 10oz taster. One of the first pours of 2009, I almost didn't want to drink it. The first keg blew in 7 minutes...

Color is a hazy, glowing orange, white head, aroma of floral hops, pine, citrus (more citrus in the nose than elder). Taste is similar to smell, full of grapefruit, pine, slightly sweeter than elder, but maybe a bit more in bitterness up front. The 11% is very well hidden, and the brew is balanced to perfection.

It's a shame it's so rare. I'll be going out of my way to get a few pints when it hits beachwood/hollingshead next week...

02-02-2009 06:39:17 | More by antilogic
JWD

A- this is the best looking IPA period!!!It glows.

S- WOW this along with elder is absolutly amazing, this ipa has the perfect balance of hops and malt. tons of both but the resiny, piney hops dominate in a floral paradise.

T- nothing comes close, I have yet to find someone who does not think its amazing!!!

M- perfection of the west coast style of DIPA.

D- good thing the brewery only serves in a 10oz i could have 10 of these but some other local establishments will serve you a 22oz pilsner YUM, this is my wifes favorite brew, that says something, this is what IPA is all about!!

My favorite brew to date!!!!

12-29-2008 02:20:50 | More by JWD
hopdog

On tap at Capone's.

Poured a medium to deeper golden/amber color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of citrus, oranges, caramel, and pine. Tastes of citrus, pine, caramel, and grapefruit.

Light alcohol burn in the finish but no where near the 11%. Some lacing left on the glass. Nice and hoppy with a malty balance.

11-04-2008 19:19:47 | More by hopdog
NewSc2

Perfect 5 you say?! Well, I'll let you guys in on a little secret. I cheated a little bit, filling out these scores. Don't tell anybody, though... the truth is, I may have had beers that looked better than Pliny the Younger. (/sarcasm)

Whew.

Now that's over with, let me start the worshipping of this beer. This beer is easily in my top 3 beers I've ever had. I've had great, huge, stinging barley wines laced with wood and whiskey, but no beer comes close to Younger in terms of a big, balanced, delicious beer. This beer may be the best-looking, most easily-drinkable beer above 6% I've ever had. Couple that with a great taste, well, 5.

I've had this on tap at Hollingshead about a half dozen times over the past few months, and it really is a finicky beer. Some kegs Kenny taps seem a bit more stale than others. The pint I had today, though, was godly.

For all the gushing that the Pliny the Elder receives, Younger should get a waterfall. It actually has a pretty different mouth profile than the Elder, but a similar hop bouquet and complexity. For those of you who haven't tried Elder, Younger, or Blind Pig, and love IPA's, try to get your hands on these. The only experience I can compare tasting these beers with was me trying and enjoying my first glass of IPA at the Stone Brewery -- that one Ruination that made me fall in love with the IPA style. Bitterness to hide the alcohol, best served cool (not warm) to enjoy on a hot day, with fruits and malts to balance it all out. I've since moved on from Ruination, but I get to have that falling-in-love experience every time I try one of these great Russian River IPAs.

To start, Younger is a truly different IPA. Most IPA's pour somewhat clear -- Younger is very opaque and almost looks like a Hef or Belgian ale. The head is creamy, but settles down fast.

Smell might not be as complex as Elder, but it has a very different, less pine-y, and more citrus-y and sweeter nose to it. A sign of things to come.

As you take your first sip of Younger, it becomes clearly evident that this is not Elder (which, to me, is the premier DIPA). No, this is something different. To a hophead, it's very creamy, sweet, and yet still bitter and hoppy. To a casual drinker, this beer probably is supremely hopped but bearably so, with a deep taste and great feel. The complexity of the hops underlies the sweet nectary feel around your mouth. It's a pretty strong beer, but it seems Vinnie almost used a hidden alcohol hotness to blend a further dimension into the hops and malts. And that creamy feel just adds even more depth. Mmm.

Next sip -- wow! This is almost the pinnacle of mouthfeel. A taste so delicious you could swish it around your mouth until it gets warm, or you could gulp down its cool soft feel.

So you take another gulp, and another, and then you go on BA because you aren't really sure why you're feeling buzzed off of 6oz. of a tasty medium-bodied beer. Oh, that's why, it's 11%.

To the negative reviews of Younger here -- I can only assume the keg was stored differently or was from another batch. I had thought Younger didn't age that well kegged, but trying it today on tap, at least 4 months after its February '08 release, changed my mind. This keg tastes as good as the first one I had, and much better than the couple I've had in between. If you like Elder, you'll love Younger. If you're a hophead, you'll love Younger. If you love beer, well, you'll probably love Younger.

Undoubtedly, the beer that everybody will compare this one to is Pliny the Elder. Younger sacrifices some pine, grapefruit, and bitterness, and replaces it with a milky, creamy, sweeter taste and feel. Highly desirable, in my opinion.

I thought IPA's couldn't get any better than Elder, but after trying both Elder and Younger, Younger wins by a mile. When I talk about loving a Triple IPA, most people look at me and make a bitter face. Younger is not overly bitter, regardless of its IBU. Pliny the Younger sits at the summit of IPA and determines what else is worthy of being its kin.

Now I've fallen into the trap of believing a beer was great just because of its ranking (coughAbysscough), but Younger completed my search for a perfect 10 (or 5) IPA. I've read reviews that praise a certain beer, lifting it above its style, and tried them, thinking, "well, this it a great stout, but i was expecting cotton candy." But for all the hype this beer gets, I think it deserves its ranking. I haven't tried the current #1-3 beers above the #4 Younger, so I can't argue Younger's place, but to see it stand out up there, away from the Belgian ales, Stouts, and Barley Wines, means something to me.

You might not like it, but I know I do. It's the only beer I've tried that doesn't taste like it holds even half the abv it really has.

IPAs I've had: Lost Abbey 2nd Ann, Stone 10th/11th/Ruination/IPA simcoe hopped, Avery Maharaja, Alesmith, DFH 60/90, Racer 5/X, among many, many more.

06-24-2008 06:56:41 | More by NewSc2
paytoplay

Sometimes a beer kept in such high regard can falter when actually faced with reality. This beer somehow became even better than the old stories I had heard for years befor having the chance to try it out.

The same DNA as the "Elder" but richer, velvity, and the best finish I've ever experienced with a beer ever. Aroma is also lifting, needed as the light in color beer is still huge in style and hop weight. Magic hops maybe? There is no other way to explain it. Please please please bottle this beer!!

This tasting note is from O'Briens Pub in San Diego back when this was released in Feb or March. That's how memorable it was. And with the Elder to be bottled very shortly, Pliny "Elder" will finally be available to the masses. For good or bad?!

06-22-2008 22:26:06 | More by paytoplay
dbONE

3.78/5  rDev -19.4%

Served in a large mouth glass, the head was firm and perched on a nice golden pedistal.

The aroma was like sitting under a Pine tree eating sweet grapefruit, oranges and tangerines. A complimentery blend for the nose.

Well here is another beer using an abundent amount hops. Are brewers aware of the shortage?
The sweet maltyness is a good balance for the hops used. A clean finishing medium bodied DIPA that won't leave your face turned inside-out.

Following the frame work of just about every other DIPA around this one is full of citrus and pine. There are notes of grass clinging to the piney resign. Sweet grapefruit and moderate carbonation smooth it out pallett for a clean, dry finish at the back of the tounge.

This one is a good find, another notch in the post for Russian River.

06-19-2008 16:07:19 | More by dbONE
Jedimaster1

Drank on-tap at Stone Brewing (Just freakin' 8oz pint glass. I want BIGGER!!!).

A: A cloudy golden color. Very hazy with a head that lasts for the duration of the brew.

S: Hops and malt. Nice sweet smell that lets you know what's to come.

T: All I need to say is, WOW! The balance between the hops and the malt is exceptional. Great use of them to make this the best brew I have had yet.

M: Nice.

D: Too easy for an 11% abv brew. I could drink 10 of these if it weren't for the fact I knew about the alcohol contained here. It is masked exceptionally well.

Conclusion: I like this one better than the Elder, but not by much. These are the two best brews I have ever had! Got to try it if you haven't already! Good stuff.

06-13-2008 20:23:44 | More by Jedimaster1
d0ggnate

4.28/5  rDev -8.7%

Another tasty treat found at The Liars Club after CBC 2008 in San Diego.
A: Glowing orange/amber pour w/o head, but I suspect the pour or glass lead to that.
S: Strong hop citrus/orange aroma. Deep pine noticed, also.
T: Cooked oranges carry and strong, piney hops abound.
M: A very powerful presence without stickying/muddling your palate. Quite crisp and sharp.
D: Legendary and worthy of some (at least my) praise. Very bold while holding beautiful beer qualities.

05-06-2008 04:38:04 | More by d0ggnate
errantnight

4.65/5  rDev -0.9%

Thank the heavens, finally some Pliny! Thank you, Lucky B's!

Brought out in a Chimay Goblet... a beautiful pilsner-y gold with a creamy white head that stuck around to the bitter end.

Aroma is grapefruit and tangerine with hints of sticky pine. What is sticky pine? I dunno, but it smelled like that sounds.

Taste is... well, let me just say, I don't know that I would immediately peg this as the best DIPA I've ever tasted... but it's certainly the cleanest, and has the most perfect, medium body, clean finish, and balance of hop flavors to malt sweetness, particularly for a beer this size, ever. Only beer that comes close to this level of drinkability is Pure Hoppiness, which also was a chore to NOT chug like hop candy water.

Flavor is a burst of resiny hop goodness, and while it has an appropriately sweet and full middle that accentuates grapefruit and pine notes and a bit of musty tangerine... it has a clean, dry finish that's smooth as silk on the tongue. I've had more satisfying full-bodied flavor explosions before, but this is up there, and more of a 4.6 or 4.7 in taste than a 4.5.

It's interesting to me... this beer is both entirely deserving of its fame and reputation.... and yet not. Every hoppy beer producer and hop afficianado should make a point to seek this out, yes, but it's not more spectacular in flavor than some of your regional favorites. If I could get this regularly, or easily, I'd love it... but what makes it so spectacular is its easy drinkability. To seek this out and try to nurse the experience out seems at odds with the character of this beer.

04-17-2008 00:06:30 | More by errantnight
TheEremite

4.72/5  rDev +0.6%

On tap at the Bistro DIPA festival.

What an exceptional beer. The hop aroma jumps out of the glass and hits your nose about a foot from the glass. Tastes of citrus and pine hopiness. Extremely clean and dry finish. No off flavors or astringency. For a DIPA this is very drinkable. I think I'll have two.

04-16-2008 22:57:14 | More by TheEremite
goschool

4.93/5  rDev +5.1%

On-tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, CA.

Appearance: The pour is a rich auburn color with a frothy beige head.

Smell: The nose is bursting with freshly peeled grapefruit and resinous pine out in front of sweet caramel malts and soft fruit.

Taste: The flavor profile starts out with an immediate bitter hop-filled explosion. Then, all of a sudden, the grapefruit, pine, and floral hop assault takes a supporting role as Bartlett pear and Fuji apple linger in the mid-palate. Sweet caramel pops in just before the beer finishes with a resurgence of bitterness that manages to be equally intense, crisp, and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: It's on the heavier side of medium-bodied and somewhat sticky with a lively mix of hop bite and carbonation.

Drinkability: Pliny the Younger is dangerously drinkable and, considering its enormous IBU and ABV numbers, it has absolutely no right to be. This is now the fifth beer on my list of beers that will always appeal to me, regardless of which styles I'm in the mood for. It's a truly remarkable beverage.

04-16-2008 06:58:55 | More by goschool
ojclark

4.47/5  rDev -4.7%

Naja's Place - 3/28/08

Strong citric, grapefruity aroma. Noticable crystal malt notes and some alcohol.

Poured golden-orange with slight haze. Not much head aside from a slight ring around the side of the glass.

Hops are most noticable flavor component: citric and grapefruity with stong hop bitterness. Big malt backbone serves to prevent the hops from completely overshelming this beer (just barely). Some crystal malt notes apparent in background. Stong alcohol flavor as well. Tangy, citric, bitter finish.

Medium-bodied with a rich mouthfeel. Some alcohol warmth, but not overwhelming. Medium carbonation.

This is a huge beer, but surprisingly drinkable for a triple IPA. Very nice.

03-31-2008 17:41:35 | More by ojclark
dill

4.85/5  rDev +3.4%

on draught in a pint glass

A - pours a light golden color with a white head that had almost dissipated to a thin lace by the time it got to me.

S - earthy hops with some fruit. cherry and lychee.

T - lots of grapefruit then as it settles into the mouth the hops start to intensify and you wonder when they will stop. amazing how great it tastes. immediately i am putting this among the best beers i've ever tasted.

M - rich and smooth.

D - when this is being served, i'm not sure i would drink anything else.

03-26-2008 17:17:28 | More by dill
rxdrewthejew

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

On tap at Naja's! I was excited.

A: Very orange, no shades or red or yellow, this was pure orange. Served into a Chimay goblet, not much head but plenty of lacing.

S: Strong grapefruit hops, but lots of estery malt, peach and citrus.

T: Massive citrus hops dominate the flavor, but again there's that huge malt component. Plenty of sweetness here but the balance still favors the hops.

MF: Rich and smooth. Enough carbonation to give it a bit of bite, but not overly abrasive. The hops have a bit of an acidic bite, so the feel is a bit stinging, and the finish is fairly dry.

D: This is a really really good IIPA, one of the best I've had. The balance is pretty impressive because it packs quite a hop punch and yet it doesn't abuse your mouth. I think I had unrealistic expectations about this though, like it would be some sort of religious experience. An excellent brew and one that I would not hesitate to drink again, but I can't say I would rate this higher than some of my other favorite IIPA's. Still, just another fantastic brew from RR, and something I would never pass up the opportunity to drink.

03-26-2008 06:25:05 | More by rxdrewthejew
drseamus

4.68/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Crystal clear golden/light amber color with a very nice thick white head; especially from a growler. There is pretty decent carbonation. It is a bit lighter than I expected.

S: Grapefruit heaven. I love the aroma from west coast IPAs. There is a touch of sweetness in there also.

T: HUGE grapefruit blast initially that fades ever so slightly into a good sweetness. It isn't really a malty sweetness though. Others have suggested that the sweetness is actually from the amount of hops and I could see how that could be true. Leaves a great grapefruit aftertaste and a slight burning on the tongue.

M: Thick and creamy. Very deceiving from the color.

D: Damn good. I definitely need to have this on tap at some point. We polished off a growler between three of us.

03-17-2008 21:09:09 | More by drseamus
Avryle

4.47/5  rDev -4.7%

Props to DrSeamus for sharing his growler.

A- You gotta love RR's pop-top growlers. This had been sitting in a fridge for three weeks and still poured with a magnificent creamy head that disipates to a subtle lace. The only short-coming with this brew is the color. It was a little on the pale side, pouring a ayryupy, light orange-yellow.

S- Heavy on the west coast citrusy hops. Its like a large grapfruit humping a small pine tree.

M- Full-bodied that leaves a bitter coating on the tounge. Light on the carbonation.

T- Not just a Hop Bomb. There's a sweetness that I can't define from the hop overload and finishes with a cinnamon-like tingle in your mouth.

D- Pretty easy drinking considering the full body and 11%. Dangerously so.

03-16-2008 14:19:34 | More by Avryle
aerozeppl

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to Drseamus for bringing the west coast love.

A: Pours a clear golden color. Decent amount of white head especially for a growler. This looks like a cheaper beer but do not judge this book by it's cover.

S: Grapefruit dominated this for me. Tons of citrus and that really good west coast hop smell. Slightly flowery.

T: Hops. Really sweet for a DIPA. This was what we kept coming back to. How sweet this beer was. It was not even a malt sweetness. Almost like there were so many hops it picked up a sweetness. While there is a bit of balance going on here there are still enough hops to keep even the most grizzled hophead happy.

M:Super creamy with a nice thick mouthfeel.

D:No hint of the ABV at all. This beer could definately get you in trouble. While this was a great beer I do not know if I would actively seek it out. If I lived in Cali I would be drinking this on the regular however.

03-16-2008 04:24:21 | More by aerozeppl
mithrascruor

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

On tap at O'Briens, San Diego.

Pours a nice copper orange color with a thin white head. Nice lightly spicy aroma of hops and apricot. Flavor has a nice hoppy-malt foreground with hints of pine against a good backdrop of light orange and apricot. Spicy aftertaste. Light tingly carbnation, medium bodied. Nice flavor and complexity; a very drinkable and enjoyable beer.

03-16-2008 03:19:53 | More by mithrascruor
session1979

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +4.1%

3/1/08: What a day here in Denver. We spent our time outside enjoying the 74 degree winter heat, had some friends over for a barbecue, threw some darts, drank beer, played basketball with the kids, could it get any better? Yes, yes it can. The mailman delivered a package, not just any package, this was beer mail. Ladies and gentlemen, Pliny the Younger is in the building!

Appearance: Poured a beautifully clear and brilliant light honey orange. A frothy thick 2 finger head adorns itself at the top of this nectar from god. It dissipates leaving a sticky lacing around the glass.

Nose: After letting the head settle I give a little swirl and bury my nose deep in the glass. I am greeted with big grassy hops, almost the same as when you were a kid and you would chew on a piece of grass while playing in the yard. Sweet crystal sugars, fruit - tangerine, and a slightly bready malt buried in the background. The alcohol is noticeable for a quick moment but then gone, hidden by this enormous nose.

Taste: Seriously, how? The first thing that comes to mind is how balanced and drinkable it is, almost like it has been slightly aged. Intense fruity hops, bold in nature but not overwhelming or one sided, followed by sweet hard candy sugars, doughy malt backbone, but the hops win out with a long bittering finish.

Mouthfeel: Full, initially sticky and sweet quickly followed by warming alcohol. Only light carbonation, overall a surprisingly thick and coating mouth, especially for this style.

Drinkability: You would drink this until you passed out or you ran out.

Overall: Last May I had a beertopia experience when I received a growler of the Elder in a trade. It was by far the best beer I had had until now, and while I can't say that the Younger is leaps and bounds beyond that of its uncle, the incredible complexities and balance give it the nod. Honestly, I would take either over any other beer on the planet, any day of the week. You drink this and you feel like you are experiencing a work of art. You understand that a true craftsman created this masterpiece, revealing it slowly one sip at a time. I am simply in awe, thank you Russian River.

03-03-2008 16:22:11 | More by session1979
mully

4.72/5  rDev +0.6%

Huge thanks to rayjay for getting a growler of this to me in the mid west. He hooked me up with some great beers, but this was the best one he sent me

a-- crystal clear golden color, of white head falls quickly and barley hangs on around the edges

s-- earthy vegital hops slight simcoe "cat piss" I don't really think it smells like our cat's litter box but that is the scent and I like it... warm apricot sweetness

T-- Antiseptic hop bitterness jumps out at you at first then the malts catch up to balance the equation and warm up with an apricot sweetness finish

m -- good carbonation, smooth, lingering hop sense

d-- easily slides down my gullet, I had to take 3 or 4 sips before I even started to figure out this beer it really good out standing brew. My wife and I put down the whole growler before we realized how much alcohol was in this beer.

Thanks again to rayjay but the only bad thing about this is I won't be able to get more for a long time.

02-25-2008 04:26:00 | More by mully
ncvbc

4.97/5  rDev +6%

Pours a crystal clear and glowing amber orange. Big carbonation bubbles come up and a thin white head caps it off, leaving sticky spots of lacing all down the glass. I can only imagine straight from the tap.

An unbelievable fresh citrus nose. It's like a mix between Pure Hoppiness and Summer Yulesmith, toss in some pine sap and you have it. Earthy, green hops at first, just incredibly clean. Then big bold citrus scents come through. Bitter grapefruit, tangerine, orange, and hints of lemon. A piney undertone is there for sure as well.

Taste was just shocking to me. It was so much bigger than the smell lead me to believe. The inviting nose had lured me in and now I was getting slapped across the face with hops, laughing as my cheeks turned red with embarrassment. My forehead began to sweat, I got chills down my spine, and from that point on I knew I was in love. Seriously, there are still great citrus flavors and it's super fresh but wow, the piney hops are coming through full force. It's like pure hop juice glory without the overly oily and resinous body. As it warms, malts (huh?) do come through. A light caramel sweetness doesn't so much tame the wallop but it's there.

Bitter but not drying, tingling but not numbing, full but not oily. When I got this growler I was drinking it within an hour. Within the next hour, I had consumed nearly three pints of this addicting serum. A few hours later, after I took a nap, I couldn't help but come back for more.

This is truly a dream come true for hop lovers and I'm fortunate to have tried it. I put it in the realm of Yulesmith and Pure Hoppiness as my favorites. Not really in a class of its own but for now, it stands at the top. Andy, you are quite the generous soul, thank you!

02-25-2008 01:11:58 | More by ncvbc
rkuhnel

While in Santa Rosa I visited the brewpub and filled my Growler, brought it home and poured a small glass. I have waited a long time for this to be available and it was worth the wait. Without a doub this is the best over the top DIPA I have ever partaken, and this is my favorite beer type. Poured a hazy gold tending toward orange with a soap suds head that left big chucks of lacing. Huge citrus hops nose, and a rich mouthfeel that feels like port wine on the palate. Flavors are citrus hops and the finish is long and bitter, but enjoyably so. I was prepared to be disappointed after the long wait, but this is the best brew ever for me. So sad I only have a growler. I really love this beer. I was going to save a 5.0 for the very best. This is it!

02-24-2008 03:59:30 | More by rkuhnel
brewdlyhooked13

4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance - pours a hazed light orange amber. Very little head, but after transfers from tap to growler to bottle to glass, well, I can be forgiving. A thin layer of bubbles appears and kind of limps off to the side.

Aroma - good malt base, intense pine and fragrant grapefruit following.

Taste - whew! A sweet start, the malts are there but struggling to develop because the hops are on right now! Intense in many ways - pine, grapefuit, bitter, and a late sweet orange citrus on the back of the tongue that comes outta nowhere. I think the underside of my tongue is even tasting this, and that's impossible!! :-D Very sweet and bitter on the same swallow, pretty cool. Late aftertaste is quite dry and bitter. It does the DIPA proud. A smooth warming alcohol feel as it warms. What a fine glass o' beer.

Mouthfeel - as expected, the carbonation is probably half of where it started. I still get a good hoppy burp here and there. For a DIPA the body is thicker than normal but most reasonable.

Drinkability - sickeningly drinkable. At 11%, that is a problem. No wonder pimpp offered to hook me up with a sample, he was probably very 'happy' after downing over half the growler, lol. At any rate, big karmaic kudos to him for sharing this delicious brew.

02-21-2008 03:54:03 | More by brewdlyhooked13
pwoods

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

Thanks a million to jwolfie70 for providing me the chance to try this rarity. Also, thanks to SirChugsAlot, kersta8, dsigmon, beavers, and NJpadreFan for the kind words in the thread that SirChugsAlot made. jwolfie70 saw that thread and decided to offer me the growler. So, Thanks everyone!

A: Pours a bright, hazy, glowing blood orange rind. A nice 1 1/2 - 2 finger pearly white head forms in the snifter and takes its time walking down. Nice lacing throughout.

S: HUGE hop bomb! My nose was assaulted right when I popped the swingtop. Very west coast. Huge, slightly stinging citrus notes with massive amounts of pine and hop leaf resin. So much resin that it's almost like it's wet hopped. Alcohol is present in the slight sting mixed with the citrus. Malts are sweet yet controlled... I can't wait.

T/M: MMMmm! Tastes like I brushed my teeth with pine cones and then swished with grapefruit pulp, haha. A nice alcohol bite lets you know this beast means bidnus. Malts are super sweet and bready, cutting just enough of the hop blast to add somewhat of a balance. Body is medium+ throughout with a huge creamy, sticky, and sometimes chewy mouthfeel. Finishes instantly super dry but not overdone and with a long lasting bitterness.

D: I'll tell ya what... If I could finish this entire growler tonight, I would. After a second 10ish ounce sampling my tongue started to feel tortured. A 12oz. bottle is being hand filled and handed over to brewdlyhooked13 and then I'll finish the rest tomorrow... if my tongue can handle it :)

02-18-2008 22:49:46 | More by pwoods
Oxymoron

Colorado

4.03/5  rDev -14.1%

We are, we are...youth of the nation. On tap at O'Brien's in San Diego. Poured a somewhat hazy orange color. A good head when poured although did dissipate during the tasting. Some viscous sticks to the glass when you swirl it.

The nose is citrus hoppy with mostly grapefruit and oranges. A fantastic nose that shines of Amarillo, Summit and other "C" hops. To compare with Elder, the nose is much more hoppier and sweeter.

The taste is punch in the mouth hops. Sure it's a crazy west coast hop bomb but both hop, bittering and finishing, and hop to malt are so far out of balance, especially if you compare it to Elder. To start, the hops have a strong bittering bite that last through the finishing taste which overpowers the finish hop flavors. There are some piney and citrus finish but it plays second fiddle here. There is a sweetness to the beer that really is off for me as well. Feels like its under attenuated although there really isn't much of an alcohol or estery flavor at all. As your taste buds adjust the malt flavors come out but really limited with some sweetness and stickness.

The body of course is big. Carbonation is light, maybe to bring out the hop flavor. With the sweet syrupy finish leaves a blah aftertaste. Overall this is an ultimate hop bomb, but with my money give me an elder every time. I suppose I would have to say respect your elders.

02-18-2008 20:00:32 | More by Oxymoron