Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,557
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to urwatuh8 for the growler.

Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of foamy white head.

Scent of huge piny hops, grapefruit, citrus, honey and a bit of caramel. Extremely hoppy, but it doesn't matter, this stuff smells so damn good.

Taste is very hoppy, lots of grapefruit and citrus, honey, and a hint of caramel, there is a hint of alcohol, but nothing that would suggest 11%. Finishes with a lasting flavor of delicious hops. One of the few 'Holy fuck' beers I've had, worth the price, a growler was not enough, I must have more.

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied with a good bite from the carbonation.

paco1029384756, Feb 13, 2009
4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Finally got my hands on this one. Called Father's Office, found out it was finally in, and practically threw the lady in the car and raced off. I was not about to miss this.

Appearance - Light orangish. I definitely got the "it glows" thing. It was very nice and clear, with 1-2 inches of whispy head that settled down in a couple minutes. Not a super rich color, but very bright and nice.

Smell - Plenty of hops. Some real pine and grapefruit. Also some lemon/citrus. There's also a little bit of a malt back behind all those hops. Very nice and balanced, but no explosion.

Taste - Very, very balanced. There's that hoppy citrusness, but also some real malt hanging around. There's a bready-ness that I did not see coming. Not too astringent, and the alcohol is nowhere to be seen. That said, the aftertaste is a little tough, a sharp bitterness that sort of clings. Overall, it was one of the more balanced DIPA's you'll find.

Mouthfeel - Really great. Very crisp, not syrupy at all. Just about perfection.

Drinkability - Lethal. Definitely went down faster than planned, although it does begin to accumulate a little. Still, with such a high abv it's incredibly smooth. Even the lady, not a big fan of hops, thought that this one was very, very drinkable. That about says it all.

A very nice beer. Great even. Of course, there was no way it could live up to the hype. I'm not sure anything could. It was very, very drinkable. Still, it seemed a little thin? There was a level it did not quite go, but I think that's how it ends up being so balanced. I'm really glad I tried this one, and I really admire the craftsmanship. One of the better DIPA's you're going to get anywhere.

If you ever see it on tap, pounce! That said, your life can complete without ever having tried it. I'm a fan, definitely.

callmescraps, Feb 12, 2009
4.68/5  rDev 0%

An incredibly huge thanks to Adam (Nanoslug) for sending a fresh growler of this to me. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Three fingers of creamy-white foam, with incredible retention and gorgeous lacing. Semi-transparent gold, with tiny bubbles slowly & lazily rising upwards. This is the standard by which DIPAs are measured.

S - Huge, complex bouquet of flavors - mossy pine, fresh-cut grass, tangerine, Braeburn apple, grapefruit, and a touch of pineapple. Mild touch of malt in the background, but this is a huge hopbomb.

T - Incredible balance - great fresh hoppiness and sweet tropical fruit flavors, but also more malt than the smell lets on. Sweet and hoppy aftertaste that keeps me reaching for the glass. Only the tiniest hint of the 11% ABV.

M - Medium viscosity, reasonable carbonation. Smooth and creamy, with just a touch of tingling. Leaves a sticky resinous feeling after swallowing. Not sure what else I can ask for in a DIPA.

D - This is the most drinkable 11% beer I've ever had. The only thing that would keep me from filling up my glass is passing out.

This is incredible stuff - it takes all the things I love about Pliny the Elder but to the nth degree. This is a must try for all lovers of beer.

MasterSki, Feb 12, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -12.4%

22 ounce hand bottle shared by Bobby91w. Pours bright sunny yellow with good whit head. Dank pine and Juicy Fruit nose. Just a big bold blend of hop goodness. Medium body. Balanced finish. Certainly a great beer, I'm just not sure it lived up to my expectations.

tjthresh, Feb 11, 2009

Poured from a tap into a 4 ounce taster glass...Finally had my chance to taste The Younger, and oh my GOD, what a day to remember. First the sample, then meeting Vinnie...the brewer himself.

This ale poured an amber color with a nice thick white head. Like the Elder, this ale was very clear and clean with no sediment at all.
The smell was of fresh hops...citrusy and crisp. One word describes the taste...PHENOMENAL!!! Like the Elder, this ale hides its alcohol content very well and has the perfect balance of malts and hops. I wanted to ask Vinnie how he does it, but refrained. At 10.75% I thought this would be tougher to drink, but I was wrong. It's definitely not one to chug, but to savor, for this is one ale that people will remember for years to come.

hophead247, Feb 11, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +2.6%

Huge thanks to Scott (swnicholson) for scoring a growler of this for me. Poured from a cool looking growler into my Corsedonk tulip glass.

A- Pours a beautiful golden amber that just seems to have a glowing aura around it. Visibility is crystal clear and produces a huge three fingers width of white head that lasts throughout consumption.

S- Huge scents of piney hops infiltrate the nostrils. The aroma is just so clean it seems to cut through the air. There is a subtle citrus sweetness that attempts to balance the piney aroma, but to no avail.

T- Piney hops assault the tongue and hold it captive. As the beer warms up, the piney taste becomes less aggressive, allowing for the citrus flavors to kick in.

M- Clean, carbonated and medium bodied. Can't ask for much more in a DIPA.

D- After one glass of this, I was definitely feeling the effects. There is also a warming sensation that comes with this one.

Overall, an absolutely fantastic DIPA that it truly worthy of its praise. Younger is bigger and bolder than Elder, giving off a far more piney taste. As such, it is a beer that I would go out of the way for to drink on a special occasion. However, I don't think I would be able to drink this on a daily basis, unlike Elder. If you have the opportunity, definitely try this one.

rhinos00, Feb 11, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

I have waited over a year since I moved to the Bay area to have this beer and I was at Toronado the day they received the kegs. RR delivers on Thursdays to Toronado btw...might be good to know from time to time.

Needless to say I was trembling with anticipation and arrived a little before my drinking and brewing buddy so I couldn't order one by myself quite yet so I decided to warm my palate with a Blind Pig.

When the Younger arrived I was smitten by the smell, intense resinous hops, grapefruit, orange, grass, pine resin and some real dank chronic. The onslaught of hops is smoothed out by a richness of malts, a tiny bit of caramel and toffee with cream. It is intense alright and the alcohol is definitely there, but it is not overpowering. A little bit like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand, definitely there but you can easily forget it is...at least after a few glasses.

Taste-wise I was let down a little, as good as it is, there are still some things that pull it down from a perfect score. It is a little brutish and lacking elegance, but perhaps I am crazy for saying that, but I kept thinking that I may actually like the Elder better. It was also slightly under-carbonated for my taste.

All in all it is a World-class beer, probably like nothing you've ever had before so I highly recommend trying it. If I had my way I would start the evening with a regular RR IPA which is amazing, move on to Blind Pig, Pliny The Elder and finishing off with Pliny The Younger. That encompasses all the foreplay, action and climax a hophead could ever wish for.

I stayed at Toronado for 5 hours and can safely say I have not been THAT hung over for years...I was hyperventilating until noon the next day. Great stuff!!!

OK, now I've had it 2 years in a row and I revised my review. It is fantastic, better the second year. Enough said.

mj001jk, Feb 10, 2009
4.6/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

HUGE thanks goes out to bifrostguard for this and his FIRST trade! Delivered on my doorstep on Saturday 2/7/2009 and shared with pwoods (<-- this guys owes me a shit ton! Just kidding), DrewOSU and Ftownthrowdown.

Poured from the flip-top Russian River growler into my traditional pint glass at around 40-45 degrees. Pours a clear, brass orange with an average tan head. Nice sticky lacing seen rolling up the edge of my glass. White, creamy halo of foam seen, as well.

You can smell this beer from the neighboring room! The nose on this beer is so intense. Huge, pounding of floral hops, ammonia (likely from the simcoe hops), sweet malts, orange citrus, grapefruit, grass, pepper, earth all mixed around a big slap of alcohol - basically the entire spectrum of hops all over the nose - holy shit, world class.

This is a MASSIVE freggin' beer! Starting on the drink was a huge wave of bittering hops. Medium bodied and FULL flavored. Finishes with a sweet, at time creamy finish. Waxiness on my tongue. This is a big, extremely tasty beer. Pine on the aftertaste lingers in my mouth. My palate is official shot for the remainder of the night. Soo much going on here. A plethora of hops and lightly balanced, semi-sweet malts, masterfully blended. Crisp and very dry, yet waxy finish. It's almost like a super-hopped strong ale.

Wow...

A million thanks go out to bifrostguard again - cheers!

beachbum1975, Feb 10, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +2.1%

Got another one of the always welcomed infamous emails/calls! These get togethers are starting to become epic!

Poured from a growler.

Pours a very nice amber, gold in color. Completely clear and effervescent. A fairly good amount of frothy head forming on the pour. Mostly around the perimeter of the glass, but it's there. Smell is all hops. All glorious in their splendor. Obnoxious hops. Oily, resinous, floral, sticky, juicy. Heavenly. The type of hops that kick in your front door and make themselves at home and there ain't nothing you can do about it.
Taste is wonderful, powerful hops. I had to apologize to my mouth and tongue after drinking this. It was a full onslaught and both sides of my tongue were numbing.
Besides the full hoppy onslaught, this is a very clean and enjoyable beer. Very crisp with a wonderful mouthfeel.
The alcohol is a bit tough to hide, so you can notice it a bit in the flavor and in the warming heat in your nostrils.

Incredible, one of a kind beer. Very glad to have had the opportunity. I've had plenty of elder since it's bottling, and I have to go against the grain and say that I like the Younger infinitely better, hands down.

FtownThrowDown, Feb 10, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap tonight at Monk's Kettle.

A: Pours clear golden color with a moderate white head.
S: Very fresh citrus, pine, and floral hop notes. Really good smell to this.
T: Again, the citrus, pine, and floral hop qualities dominate the taste, but are somewhat balanced with the malts. Still an out-of-control hop bomb, but far better than most, and probably the best California IPA I've had.
M: Mouthfeel is spot on for the style. Not too heavy, not too light, and the carbonation is perfect.
D: High ABV and out of control hops hamper drinkability, but this is very good.

waltonc, Feb 10, 2009
4.6/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Huge thanks goes out to a very helpful and patient BA, largadeer. Thanks again Chris!

Pours a nice clear yellowy orange with a stark white head that lingers forever and leaves great lacing. A very slight redness, this one doesn't quite glow, but tries as hard as it can. Carbonation stream rises from the etching in the bottom of my corsendonk goblet.

Nose is pure hops. Big West Coast hop resins waft out of the glass. A nice malty backbone is noticeable in the smell, but man o man this one just reeks of ooey gooey stanky ass hop resin. Grapefruit and pine abound, some slight perfume as well. Smells like this is going to be a major palate thrasher.

Wow. This is a fine fine D(T)IPA. Taste begins slightly mild, with good hop flavor. The sweetness from the malt backbone comes on early, and makes the taste feel a slight bit slick in the beginning. Through the middle of the taste, the hops start to take ahold of the reigns and begin to take names. Grapefruit, pine, and other citrus explode as the finish approaches. Said finish yields some fierce bitterness, but it is kept in check and balanced perfectly with a slight sweetness that makes its return here. Dry finish precedes the aftertaste that lingers of hop resin and citrus.

Mouthfeel is solid here. Near perfect viscosity, not too thick and soupy, but certainly not thin. If anything it is every so slightly undercarbonated, but when I say ever so slightly, I mean BARELY. Dry finish is spectacular without making one parched.

Drinkability is fairly unbeleivable here. You can feel the warming sensation when it begins to settle in your stomach, but there is next to no alcohol burn here, and this one goes down dangerously easy.

Overall, this is certainly one of the best DIPAs to be found on the planet. Amazingly well put together, quite balanced, and just plain delicious. If you are a hophead you MUST seek out this beer. It is one that you do not want to miss. If you never have this in your lifetime, and you die and go to heaven, as soon as they pour you one, as this will surely be on tap there, you will realize what you were missing your entire life on earth, and you will curse long and loud, maybe even punch a monk or two, drop kick a couple cherubs, and you will be kicked out and sent to hell.

So don't screw up and miss out on this.

I'm not saying this is the best DIPA on the planet, but it should certainly be in the discussion. I can count those that would rival it on one hand, and can think of none that surely beat it. An amazing beer.

AKBelgianBeast, Feb 10, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -12.4%

On tap at the Sonoma Wine Exchange (Wine Exchange of Sonoma?). Pours a yellow to orange and transparent, with a nice white head. Sticky, sticky lacing. Clear and gleaming in the light. Smells very hoppy, citrusy, but also very heavy on the alcohol. Some pine notes. Flavor is quite good. Very bitter, very hoppy. Citrus hops dominate, but again there's a pine sap presence too. Hops blow out my taste buds pretty early on. More of a malt profile than the Elder and definitely a more prominent alcohol presence too. The massive hops and alcohol don;t really work to its benefit, imo. Elder is a great beer because of how it manages to cram all that good stuff in and not be overwhelming, while Younger IS overwhelming. Still, its very tasty, just more on the overly aggressive side of things. Full bodied, but also a bit syrupy. Drinks well, but again, i prefer the elder.

aforbes10, Feb 09, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Managed to get this at the brewery within the one week they had it on tap. A beautiful ride up through Sonoma County with apogee of a great beer.
A: Orangish gold body with a milky compact white head with decent lacing.
S: Papaya, guava, pine, and grapefruit.
T: Tons of pine and less citrusy up front, more of a floral hint of hops. Also somewhat spicy at the beginning.
M: Compact, light but high carbonation. Surprisingly creamy.
D: Definitely hides the 11% well; had three of these and it's definitely easy to have too many.

lhaqq, Feb 08, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

a - bright golden color, fairly clear with a slight haze, good sized white head with very good retention and lacing

s - prominent citrus aromas centering on lemon, moderate sweetness, slight alcohol, a lot going on in the nose

t - very sharp hop bitterness at the start, lots of citrus on the midpalate, lemon and grapefruit mostly, good deal of sweetness and alcohol on the finish without being overwhelming, hop bitterness and citrus lingers for awhile

m - medium-bodied, full mouthfeel relative to other DIPAs, not overly dry on the palate

d - pretty dangerously drinkable for an 11% DIPA, not too harsh on the palate, not one dimensional, so it stays interesting

Very good DIPA overall, though I actually like the Elder a bit more. It's too bad they don't brew this more than once a year.

WeisGuy, Feb 08, 2009

On-tap@Toronado S.F. on 2-6-09(Good times Joe...good times!)
Warmed up with a pint of his uncle to be able to fully appreciate the differences...
Looks lighter in hue and less haze than his uncle PtE. Smell is a big dose of hops, no malt or alcohol comes through. Taste is nothing short of spectacular! Just so easy to quaff, but with each drink you feel yourself getting more and more buzzed. This is hands-down the best triple IPA. It's just so smooth and rounded you feel like you can drink it 'till the cows come home. Then before you know it your on your thrid one and crossed-eyed, stumbling out looking for a cab! I'm knida glad they don't bottle this one(yet) because I could see myself going overboard on this beer(literally, I ride the ferry everyday). People go wild over this beer with good reason, it's the best! I thank my lucky stars(and curse them at the same time)that I live in the bay and get to have all these awsome RR beers!

ironlung, Feb 07, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

My 100th review! WOW! And the perfect beer to enjoy on such an occasion. I had the chance to enjoy this beer twice. Once on 2/6/09 at Hollingshead in Orange, and yesterday (2/10/09) at Beachwood BBQ. This a combination review from both tastings.

A: Poured into a Chimay glass, PTY boasted a robust white and frothy two-finger head. The liquid sitting beneath this extremely frothy beast comprised of deep and dark golden-copper hues along with shades of orange. Similar to PTE, but not as murky and chewy looking. It also gave off that "clean and crisp" appeal that every Double and Triple IPA should have.

S: Intense piney and tree like smells that were balanced off by the sweet malts. There was also a definite alcohol bite from the initial whiff as well.

T: For as robust and potent, the hops and malts balanced out each other out in complete harmony. Hop bitterness was strong, but not overwhelming, and seemed to stay pretty consistent throughout the whole sip. Alcohol was not noticeable, but not hot.

M: Smooth carbonation, medium to full-body, a numbing affect on the palate from hop bitterness.

D: Alcohol is extremely well hidden, to the point that I might think this a regular IPA! A hop bomb that is well balanced between both pines and malts, makes this very enjoyable for just about any time of the year.

Overall: WOW! This beer didn't disappoint at all. It deserves a spot on my top 5 beers I've ever had and one that is well worth seeking. Now that I have said that, I do believe that Pliny the Elder (when fresh) is on par with the Younger. So, if you are unable to get your hands on this, just grab an Elder, put a whole bag of hop pellets in your mouth and drink...then you'll know what PTY tastes like. LOL. Well, maybe not quite like that, but you get the point. A must try. Cheers!

OlieIPA, Feb 07, 2009
4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

The downright worship of this beer is remarkable to me. A girl at the bar sounded like she was having an orgasm after each sip. But on to the beer.

A: Beautiful orange/amber with a nice thick, creamy-looking head. Nice lacing on the glass.

S: Exceptional smell of citrus and piney like hops. The freshness is amazing. Almost an earthy component to it.

T/M: As expected, massive amounts of citrus & piney hops. Mouthfeel is unexpectedly creamy. Despite how over-the-top this beer is, it's very well-balanced. There's none of that stinging bitterness on the finish that ruins other big IPAs for me (many of the San Diego style brews). Overall, I'm impressed.

D: I had four in one sitting. I don't remember much else of the evening.

So, is it worth all the hype? Maybe. A remarkably well-made beer that's probably the best IPA I've ever had. At the same time, I probably wouldn't be driving all of the country to try it (which is what I get the impression some do).

abfraser, Feb 07, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -19.2%

A - pours the exact same color as Elder but with less head and very little lacing

S - I can understand why this was named after Pliny the Elder - the aroma profile is almost identical - just way more floral.

T - Alcohol is very prominent followed by a STONG FLORAL hop presence a bit of grapefruit. Unlike Elder there is no emphasis on the malt.

M - Creamy and smooth if the alcohol didn't have such a strong presence this would be highly drinkable

D - the strong alcohol burn is a let down

People are going hog wild over this beer but it's definitely not the best double / triple IPA I have ever had.

xhcadamx, Feb 07, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -8.5%

on tap at the Toronado SF.
pours a dramatic orange/amber with a creamy one finger head. the head dissipates rather quickly, but there is some ok lacing left in the glass.
smell is the expected citric and piney hops, with a bit of grass and earthiness in the back.
the taste is rather unexpected, however, as I was anticipating an amped-up version of the Elder. the immediate impression is of pine, but that quickly gives way to a really nice spice, like some peppery greens, and black tea. the citric notes from the nose are barely present, but there is a nice floral character at the end, with a pleasant bitterness in the finish. malts do not register too much except as a faint sweetness in the memory.
mouthfeel is medium-full, without too much carbonation, a little sticky in the finish.
overall this is a heavenly tasting beer, but the ABV really sneaks up on you. I was aiming to have a few but had to quit after one.
definitely worth trying if you can, but the Elder is the more drinkable brew.

JoshuaCain, Feb 07, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

oh day of days the younger has come to town. as I sit here with my buddy olie I wonder about this beer. how can anything be this good in liquid form. easy younger can be.

I am greeted by a whiff of of amazing head. strong straw color. not much lacing

smells like a pine forest after a rain storm.

taste is amazing. piney. an amazing flavor. sweetness dancing with a beautiful bitterness. a fantastic beer.
huge hop presence. leaves me wanting more.

mouth is smooth and creamy. this thing is a ninja. hits you like a silent freight train.

sad that it got me quite the buzz of the one. i dont feel like I was able to give this beer the love poem it deserves. I love this beer. totally worth all of the hype. if you have the means drink it....now

Mauerhan, Feb 07, 2009

On tap at Toronado. First keg tapping of 2009 in the yay area...Reprazent.

A: 12oz tulip chalice, light golden ambrosia with a thickish white head of pure white. Head lasts and leaves good lacing and legs.

S: Sweet, sticky, weed influenced, candy coated hops, with big light french bread malts as well.

T: holy hop monster, super sticky to the icky with tons of hops and a candy coated sweetness from the boatloads of malts.

M: Syrupy and sweet, like canned doal pears...but instead of pears..there are HOPS. Like marijuana laced beautiful candy coated candy coloured goodnes. The mouthfeel is sticky, icky, and full and it COATS your mouth...for real.

D: I can drink this all day and all night. It goes down WAY too easy for a 10 + % abv brew. I just slammed two of these with Jen in like 20 minutes...haha..every year, I drink too much of it, and every year it gets me drunk on the cheap...!

ENJOY this shit while it's around...! for real...it will be gone within the next 10-14 days...seriosuly. Get some PTY action YO

For Realz.

Jam Master F

francisweizen, Feb 06, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -8.1%

On tap at Toronado. Poured into a tulip glass.

Beer pours and almost fiery, translucent orange. Small white head disappears almost instantly. Almost glowing appearance.

Hops, hops and hops on the nose. A touch of citrus, some sweetness and some booze.

Not surprisingly, the hops dominate. Hoppy flavor is fantastic. Quite bitter but also some balancing sweetness. Some citrus flavors but everything pales next to the hops.

Mouthfeel is is good. Nice carbonation. There is a lingering bitterness left on the tongue which is very noticeable but also very pleasant.

This is an amazing beer and one I am glad to have tried. However, I feel that in the quest to be huge, it lost some of the subtlety and nuance of the Elder. For my tastes, it is a bit too much.

yeastsipper, Feb 06, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Finally...the elusive "Younger".

I made it to Russian River to partake in the almighty son. Brought to the table with no foam whatsoever. Poured in a 10 oz. glass with a nice caramel/amber color.

Fruit, very hoppy aroma. Awesome smell!

Massive grapefruity taste with hops to no end. No major aftertaste for so many hops. Smooth and silky feel.

Very easy to drink for the high alcohol content. So easy I put back two and was "hopping"...er...hoping for more.

Definitely worth driving an hour and a half to partake in it and look forward to it someday being put in bottles.

Awesome beer and well worth the hype!

kaseydad, Feb 04, 2009
4.68/5  rDev 0%

Served on tap at O'brien's TION night in a 10oz taster. One of the first pours of 2009, I almost didn't want to drink it. The first keg blew in 7 minutes...

Color is a hazy, glowing orange, white head, aroma of floral hops, pine, citrus (more citrus in the nose than elder). Taste is similar to smell, full of grapefruit, pine, slightly sweeter than elder, but maybe a bit more in bitterness up front. The 11% is very well hidden, and the brew is balanced to perfection.

It's a shame it's so rare. I'll be going out of my way to get a few pints when it hits beachwood/hollingshead next week...

antilogic, Feb 02, 2009

A- this is the best looking IPA period!!!It glows.

S- WOW this along with elder is absolutly amazing, this ipa has the perfect balance of hops and malt. tons of both but the resiny, piney hops dominate in a floral paradise.

T- nothing comes close, I have yet to find someone who does not think its amazing!!!

M- perfection of the west coast style of DIPA.

D- good thing the brewery only serves in a 10oz i could have 10 of these but some other local establishments will serve you a 22oz pilsner YUM, this is my wifes favorite brew, that says something, this is what IPA is all about!!

My favorite brew to date!!!!

JWD, Dec 29, 2008