Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 5,099
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,656 | Reviews: 905

4.42/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Scored 8oz pour on tap at Crow Bar 2014 release.

A: Looks like an IPA - pours a tight 1 finger white head with beautifully golden color and crisp clarity.

S: I have no sense of smell - wife thoughts - very piney and tad citrus. Pine stood proud.

T: Big clean pine and citrus hops flavors & more resin than most IPAs. Tasted like an evergreen forest grew in my mouth with a few tropical fruit trees sneaking into the sunlit areas. Alcohol apparent but well balanced with hops. Impressed with how unique it tasted - something different than other big IPAs. As great as it was, did not feel I wanted more than (1) glass. Someone poured a Heady Topper and we preferred PtY. The clean taste and clarity felt like a fountain of youth.

O: Worth the hype at least once. Everyone knows this is an epic beer and I am only posting this to feel cool about actually getting the opportunity.

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

Got to try the beer at a local restaurant that got a couple kegs of it. 10 oz pour.
I was going into trying the beer with an expectation of it being good, and it did not disappoint. I was very surprised at how well the beer came together as more than just a better Pliny the Elder. It was more citrusy as opposed to piney, and it did not at all taste like 11% alcohol. I cannot give it anything other than perfect scores because there is nothing more I could possibly ask for in a beer.

4.48/5  rDev -4.5%

The younger... What can I say this beer lives up the the hype. I've never had a triple IPA that was this clean. I had it on 2/24/2014 so it's my first dive in. I had to wait in a long line and take the afternoon off work to try this beer. Let me just say it was worth it. If you can get your hands on it, do. If not you can always stumble upon the elder also a great beer and is close to the taste of the younger.

4.25/5  rDev -9.4%

4.25/5  rDev -9.4%

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company