Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 5,615
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Reviews: 891 | Hads: 2,764

Had it on tap at the Escondido ale house. Waiting only about an hour with my wife and some really great craft beer strangers. Beer was truly nectar of the gods. Lived up to the hype and the experience overall made it that much better! Can not wait until next year to get my hands on another pint. (296 characters)

This is my favorite beer now, just a bit better than the heady topper. This is the smoothest sweetest tasting IPA I have ever had. It doesn't even taste like alcohol. The aftertaste is second to none. I tried it twice and still cannot believe how good it is. (258 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Straw yellow color. Clean filtered.

S: Piney, molasses, leafy.

T: Abundently bitter. Leafy, arugula to pepper spice. More depth of flavor than expected with this extreme hopping.

M: On a five ounce pour leaves a tingle on lips and tongue enhancing the subtle spice.

O: Worth the 10 minute wait in line. Different than expected. (337 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

A: not as cloudy as Heady Topper, but a beautiful burnt amber orange with 60% opacity. Thin, fluffy head with a sea-foam look and 1-2cm rise.

S: not as hoppy as I expected; more malt and biscuit with sweet aromas and almost a tinge of smoked grain. The finish on the aroma is familiar american hop oil, with citrus notes.

T: A perfect balance of citrusy hops with strong malt backbone. This is not the hop-bomb that some beers are (like Boulder Hazed and Infused), but there is a much stronger malt balance to this that makes the beer level nicely. The hops are certainly there, without being overwhelmingly tropical, sweet, or citrusy. There is thickness to the flavor. There is complexity to the flavor. There be dragons here.

M: A perfect amount of carbonation that can be described as smooth without being flat, carbonated softly without being pillowy, and with bubbles that are crisp without biting.

O: This beer lives up to its hype. I had two back to the back, and the second one was better than the first. Each was served in a different glass, and for whatever reason, the second was able to open up to the air more and provide a better flavor/ aroma base. Either way, this was an excellent beer that is as well-balanced and delicious as an IPA can get. Only Heady Topper is (arguably) better by a difference of the slightest degrees. You cannot tell that this beer is 11% ABV.

Here is a shout-out to Memphis Taproom in Philadelphia for providing an amazing, courteous, and well-organized PtY event! (1,514 characters)

Had this beer for the first time today on tap at the Memphis Tavern in Philadelphia. I now understand what the hoopla is all about. Although my mainstay is Belgian style beers as I'm not generally a fan of hop forward beers, this creation was excellent. Look forward to more of the same from Russian River. (306 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

6 oz pours in wine glasses. Not much but at least a try.

Nice big flavor with the pine and a touch of sweetness coming through.

Well balanced, big mouthfeel, heavy but not too syrupy. High ABV adds to the body without the alcohol jumping out at you. (252 characters)

4.54/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears a clear gold with thick white head that leaves tons of lacing. Nose is full of tropical aroma, citrus, grapefruit, and pine come through the strongest. Taste is expertly balanced with plenty of piney hops. To a of apricot and grapefruit throughout with bitter undertones. Mouthfeel is surprisngly light and had a slightly creamy feel. This is truly well balanced and the alcohol is nearly undetectable. Very good! (421 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at pour house sacto, ca..looks a clear 24k, vibrant tiny bubbles from the bottom of the tulip glass, lots of micro bubble action..smell is pine, apricot, and white grape, some sweet fruit juice as well. Taste is exactly as the smell suggest, pine, bitter-floral hop profile, very smooth and tasty..nice punch of hops without the lingering resinous sticky feeling of beers in this same style...mouthfeel is perfect, light creamy carbonation, with slight micro bubble action on the front of the tongue which smooths out quickly on the palate.. overall a well executed and dialed in iiipa. Food paring is: savory and mild- spicy foods, suxh as indian food, lamb lollipops with basil or mint sauce, or some heavily salted/seasoned nuts. (739 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap @ Final Gravity in Roseville, CA

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear, pure golden hue, served up in a 10 oz glass with a white, half finger of head. Fair retention leads to a broken layer of suds across the surface with a thick ring around the edge of the glass. Moderate lacing that's spotty with good stick.

Smell - Dominant grapefruit pith along with a light pine resin. Clean, simple aroma.

Taste - Follows the nose. Grapefruit pith and citrus oils, with lesser notes of pine resin.

Mouthfeel - Full body with moderate carbonation. Incredibly smooth with a crisp, clean finish.

Overall - Awesome beer, but hard to distinguish from the Elder. In fact, if you were to hand this to me and tell me it was PtE, I wouldn't give it a second thought. This one's got just a tad more body, but all the other sensory qualities are basically identical. Glad I was able to walk right up to the counter and order this; if I had to stand in line I would've been greatly disappointed. It's certainly not worth the hype and the hours of line waiting that happens every year. Just grab the Elder. I promise you they're nigh indistinguishable. (1,144 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

well, I finally got to try it. bought the raffle tickets at Beachwood BBQ so didn't have to wait in the line. $40 in raffle tickets produced one pint=a deal better than waiting in that long line and with the weather lately, that works.
much creamier head than I expected, and much more fuller and thicker, too! lots of pine, lots of sweet aroma; even the family said it smelled sweet from their prospective locations at the table! malty, bready, pine-y, sweet and bitter finish. not too much like The Elder, as others have said, but very good. in fact, not even close to Elder when considering the volume of different DIPAs and (T)IPAs out there and the amount of differing flavors of them (and the Blind Pig after, I thought, was much more stable and tastier!). nice lacing down the sides.
overall, I finally tried it! I would drink it again, but without the lines and the raffle tickets. I would very much prefer to sit at the pub and line them all up- the Plinys, Blind Pig, the Row 2, etc.... and just taste them all altogether. and then, of course, come back the next day and do all the wild ales...! but saying that I would drink it again without the lines says so much, doesn't it? it's good, but not worth the lines. (1,225 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Scored 8oz pour on tap at Crow Bar 2014 release.

A: Looks like an IPA - pours a tight 1 finger white head with beautifully golden color and crisp clarity.

S: I have no sense of smell - wife thoughts - very piney and tad citrus. Pine stood proud.

T: Big clean pine and citrus hops flavors & more resin than most IPAs. Tasted like an evergreen forest grew in my mouth with a few tropical fruit trees sneaking into the sunlit areas. Alcohol apparent but well balanced with hops. Impressed with how unique it tasted - something different than other big IPAs. As great as it was, did not feel I wanted more than (1) glass. Someone poured a Heady Topper and we preferred PtY. The clean taste and clarity felt like a fountain of youth.

O: Worth the hype at least once. Everyone knows this is an epic beer and I am only posting this to feel cool about actually getting the opportunity. (883 characters)

Got to try the beer at a local restaurant that got a couple kegs of it. 10 oz pour.
I was going into trying the beer with an expectation of it being good, and it did not disappoint. I was very surprised at how well the beer came together as more than just a better Pliny the Elder. It was more citrusy as opposed to piney, and it did not at all taste like 11% alcohol. I cannot give it anything other than perfect scores because there is nothing more I could possibly ask for in a beer. (486 characters)

4.48/5  rDev -4.5%

The younger... What can I say this beer lives up the the hype. I've never had a triple IPA that was this clean. I had it on 2/24/2014 so it's my first dive in. I had to wait in a long line and take the afternoon off work to try this beer. Let me just say it was worth it. If you can get your hands on it, do. If not you can always stumble upon the elder also a great beer and is close to the taste of the younger. (413 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +3.4%

Served on tap into a goblet.

A- Poured a clear dark golden color with a white head with big bubbles that left no lace.

S- Big tropical fruit, passion fruit, peach, and pineapple notes. Very juicy and hop forward aroma.

T- Giant passion fruit, orange marmalade, juicy tropical notes, peach, pineapple, grapefruit, and mango. Very pungent hop character, some dankness, and high hop bitterness.

M- Very smooth, some nice warming, prickly carbonation, dry and a little creamy. The drinkability on this triple IPA is incredible.

O- It lives up to the hype, not saying I would wait in line for 5 hours for it. I am glad I bought a ticket and got to try it. This is an incredibly complex and tropical triple IPA with incredible drinkability, mouthfeel, and manages to have an incredible juicy hop profile and high bitterness that work perfectly. (846 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From notes on 3 pours yesterday at Falling Rock side-by-side with Elder on tap

A- Golden, crisp. Minimal carbonation, more transparent than Elder. Thin lacing.

S- Some grapefruit, citrus out of the nose. Minimal hops. This has more of a fruit character.

T- I think this is really well balanced. Elder tastes like it has more abv than younger. Younger has less of a presence.

M- Pretty thin, some cream. Medium amount of carbonation follows.

O- Massive hype on this one. You could have told me that this was some random Colorado IPA and I would have believed it. No out of body experience for me. I liked Elder on tap more. (630 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -7.7%

On tap at Falling Rock on 2/22 (and again at Backcountry on 2/23)

While I don't think any beer is worth waiting 5 hours for, this was on my "must try" list, and I wasn't too hungover to wake up at 6AM. Headed to the taphouse at 7:30am, in line at 7:45, and surprisingly, was not first. Nice little gathering, people drinking coffee, playing board games, and enjoying each others company waiting for the doors to open.

A - pours a lovely hue, somewhere between golden and amber. Other beers of similar stature have a better pour (i.e. Hopslam), but the color is not why I was there.

S - Holy Moly. If someone finds a way to harness the scent of this thing, please let me know. I would pay handsomely for it. Literally spent the first 2 or 3 minutes just smelling it. Everything you would expect from something in the IPA family (layer upon layer of hops, grapefruit), but jesus, was this a step in the right direction.

T - everything I was hoping for. So much going on in this pour, every sip makes your brain spin trying to wrap your head around the complexity. Piney, earthy, boozy. The one downside, the booze. I did not feel that the ABV was very well hidden. Still delicious, and I had 3 of them, but it was a TINY bit overpowering.

M - beautiful

O - Look. If you can get some friends together, and the weather is nice, go ahead. Its worth it for the experience and frankly, the beer also. Is it really #2? Eh, probably not. I am glad I went, and would absolutely drink it again if it were available, but I probably will not be attending another release day. (1,569 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +4.3%

Had this beer at a keg tap at toronado in san Diego. Three glasses down and I was feeling a really good buzz. Waited an hour and a half to get it with two extra glasses on top. Totally worth it. The mouthfeel is so intense, it goes down like a creamy citrus sparkly firework. The taste is very similar to pliny the elder with a lot more mouthfeel and even smoother which is odd but I'll take it! Had a great time waiting in line and drinking with the people I met in line. Totally worth it. It's the experience coupled with great beer that just makes it all come together for a hell of a time. Any true beer fan should aspire to taste this beer. Til next year, cheers! (668 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The holy grail of beer right? Well, no, not really. Sure it's a more hopped up version of Pliny the Younger, but it honestly does away with the biggest strength that Pliny The Elder has and that is balance. I found Pliny The Younger to be too much. I much prefer Pliny the Elder to Pliny the Younger and find no need to search this out again, though the party was fun :) (374 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +4.9%

I really enjoyed this beer. Worth waiting 8 hours? Probably not. But what beer is worth 8 hours? Overhyped? Not by a long shot. Russian River really put a ton of work into this beer and it shows. The smell was incredible; intense grapefruit which I love. This beer is 10% but is not boozy what-so-ever. In fact, almost no alcohol taste and very easy to drink. I think everyone owes it themselves to at least experience this beer once. (434 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Falling Rock, February 22. 10.25% ABV

A: Clear body. Light copper color with a little head.

S: Loaded with hops, smells like Simcoe to me. Booze is noticeable. This is a huge beer.

T: Follows the nose. Huge hop bite without being too bitter. A little hot. PtE with just an absurd amount of hops. Incredibly drinkable all things considered.

M: It's no PtE in this dept but decently carbonated and a little sticky.

O: I'm not a ticker, but I'm really glad I had the opportunity to try this. It's an excellent beer, but would never waste 3 hours of a day again to get it. I can think of several IIPAs that are better and also aren't impossible to get. (665 characters)

On tap at Toronado (SF). This beer is awesome. I could dock random 1/4 points, but for the style, it doesn't get any better. This pours a medium orange color that is surprisingly see through. The smell is juicy citrus fruit with a light sweetness. The taste is lots of strong citrus fruit. It's bitter, but at the same time balanced by the sweetness from all the malt. There is virtually no alcohol presence, which is quite a feat for an 11% beer. This beer is incredibly drinkable and perfectly balanced. Far and away my favorite TIPA. (536 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

I've been about the hype for two years now...learning about the Younger releases last year and missing my opportunities. After striking out twice already this year, my opportunity came this morning (2/22/14). After the hours of driving, parking, waiting, holding in a coffee dump, waiting, making small talk, waiting, finding a quick spot for said coffee dump, waiting, taking pictures, waiting, and more waiting....my snifter was poured and the deliciousness was before me.

It's an odd feeling, seeing 6 ounces in front of you and realizing that each ounce equated an hour of your life. It's an odd feeling, having what you've "dreamt" over, researched, and hyped over to be in front of you. What do you do first?

Smell: It smells like heaven, or what I hope "heaven" to smell like. To me, it's smell is the liquid brother of bacon smell. The aroma coming off this thing was amazing. Super piney with hints of citrus.

Taste: I sipped too quickly. I don't know if it was the hours of waiting or the general anticipation of it all but I sipped before it had a chance to open up. The first taste, to me, wasn't worth the hype. It wasn't until five-ten minutes went by that I realized just how delicious this beer tasted. The longer I waited, the better it became. The Younger went down so easily, especially for it's 11 ABV.

Overall: Worth it. The combination of how delicious it was, coupled with the camaraderie one creates with other beer nerds makes for a wonderful experience. I'm glad this isn't an everyday beer for it gives us something to yearn for throughout the year.

Long story short, enjoy the process and let it breathe. (1,641 characters)

4.66/5  rDev -0.6%

Stem glass poured from tap at tap room San Diego's 7th anniversary party.

Pours golden with about 3/4 inch head, ideal appearance for an IPA.

The aroma for some reason is a little hard to find. Very clean, but honestly not too strong. What I am finding is typical of the style. Piney with a hint of citrus.

Taste is where this beer really lives up to the hype. I can't imagine an IPA tasting a whole lot better than this. Remarkably clean for an 11 ABV. This beer goes down dangerously easy. So mellow for a beer that is so aggressively hopped.

Very light and airy but strikes the taste buds at the same time.

Overall, probably the best IPA I've ever had. A little bit better than a hopslam or an enjoy by, but not by a whole lot. Don't know if it's worth the hype, but then again, hype grows exponentially. Definitely worth seeking out if you can find it, but I wouldn't wait 8 hours at the brewery for it like some of the stories I've heard. All in all, an amazing beer, the gold standard for the style. (1,012 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had it in a wine glass type vessel at Toronado San Diego 2/18/14.

The color was a great, golden ale color. I was expecting a little darker, but you can't smell or taste color, so no worries. No head, no lacing.

I didn't get much on the nose surprisingly. some tropical notes for sure. Some hop oil.

Taste was great. The booze was minute in it. the hops didn't linger at all. very smooth and enjoyable. tropical hop extract perhaps?

mouth feel was very creamy and stuck to the side of your mouth, I liked that.

was happy I lucked into getting this beer to cross off my bucket list. Would have it again if available, but not wait for a long time in line for it. The experience drinking it with other people waiting for it was actually pretty neat, as we all had the same goal. (779 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Falling Rock in Denver.

After what I'd heard about the lines at the brewery in Santa Rosa, I didn't know what to expect here. Showed up at 4 pm. No line at all. Sat down. Had a blind pig and PtE while waiting and had my Younger handed to me at 6 pm.

What an experience. A true world class beer full of hops, pine, and citrus on the nose and tongue. Wonderful mouthfeel and a lovely light orange hue.

It lives up to the hype. If you have the chance, drink this beer. (481 characters)

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company