Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,057
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
Dank26

h2k2c

03-23-2013 06:51:34 | More by h2k2c
Turst3Since1987

4.98/5  rDev +6.2%

First and foremost I just want to say that I did not intend to get drunk off younger but the opportunity to have as many glasses as I wished drove me to have my fill of it. And for the first time trying it, it was no less then amazing.

Golden, deep orange and minimum head, almost completely flat.

From the moment I had my first glass without putting my nose to it the smell found me, amazing sweetness deceptively covering the amount of hops it contains.

Mouthfeel was medium body, creamy silk, light oil consistency that made it one easy beer to drink and make u forget its actually 11%

Overall worth the wait and having a beer like this makes me appreciate perfectly crafted beer and has me searching for anything that can tap into the heels of this amazing brew, at least untill next year.

03-23-2013 01:30:38 | More by Turst3Since1987
ScottO

03-22-2013 03:54:37 | More by ScottO
GetMeAnIPA

4.99/5  rDev +6.4%

I was lucky enough to get two glasses this year.

A - golden crystal clear yellow with almost zero head. There is no head retention because of all the hop oil. Great alcohol legs.

S - the smell knocked me off my feet. So piney and hoppy. I could smell the beer from the table. Almost didn't want to drink it because it smelt that good.

T - perfectly balanced and smooth. Classic RR IPA with the piney, citrus flavored but just the right amount of malt backbone. Some warming but no burn.

O - if this beer was more widely available it would be easily the best beer around. Lives up to the hype and has inspired me to finally make the trek to RR next year for the PtY release.

03-21-2013 19:32:00 | More by GetMeAnIPA
bluz4frank

Can I say anything more about this beer than has already been published? Sat next to Vinnie during the day we were there. He mentioned he thought it was the best batch so far. I agree. My fourth year attending and it was definitely the best. A good friend is a photographer for the Santa Rosa Press Democratn who has done dozens of stories about Vinnie and his beer. Even HE said it was the best batch ever.

03-21-2013 03:46:46 | More by bluz4frank

03-14-2013 19:56:31 | More by Hopbrizio
jmaharaj

Maryland

4.68/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Stood in line at Sidecar in Philly for a couple hours to get a pour of this. Was very much worth it.
The beer was lighter in color than I would have expected, but it had a beautiful white frothy head. The aroma was thick. Big hop notes of citrus with hints of tropical fruit, sitting over a big malt base that seems to thrust the hops into your nostrils. The hops and malt seem wonderfully cohesive and you can already tell this is going to be a juggernaut of a beer. The taste is equally satisfying. Thick malt and resinous hops roll across the tongue while a wonderfully complex hop profile opens us with orange, lemon and grapefriut flavors, some deeper notes of tabacco and chalk and the occasional swirl of malts keep this long, complex and drinkable. Wonderfully balanced and surprisingly easy to throw down. For those looking for a grapefruit fix, something like Maharaja might be better, but thsi has got to be one of the most well crafted and tastiest beers out there.

03-14-2013 17:44:22 | More by jmaharaj
tomakeanend

I don't know if this is the 'world's best beer'. But it is the best I have ever tasted. Hands-down.

Smooth, bold flavors, and a refreshing, crisp finish. The two loveliest ladies in my life surprised me by waiting in line two hours to secure the last two tickets for a special pouring of Pliny the Younger, while I was stuck at work all day and none the wiser. It's pretty much the perfect brew. I highly recommend.

03-13-2013 21:46:19 | More by tomakeanend
CuriousMonk

4.9/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

After such a long quest for some PtY, I was finally able to imbibe on some of this goodness at the Bishop's Collar in Philadelphia a couple weeks ago. Poured into a 4oz sampler glass (had two thanks to my wife who doesn't drink beer) - Poured beautiful clear golden with an one-finger super white head with beautiful lacing that lasted very well throughout. The intense aroma was full of citrus and floral hops along with pine. PtY had the perfect blend of hops in the nose that work very well with each other. The taste sweeter and maltier than I expected, possibly to better balance out the loads of hops this beer has. This was by far better than Pliny the Elder - by a mile. Full of grapefruit and sweet like honey. The finish has a nice citrus and resiny note on the end as well. Mouthfeel had a perfect balance with lively carbonation lasting throughout the (obviously very short) drinking session. It really brought out the smoothness and balance between the malts and hops on the tongue without the bringing out the bitterness like I thought it would have due to the Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder, so this was a pleasant surprise! This beer was perfectly balanced all-around. It is truly such a shame that this beer is "very expensive and difficult to make under tight space limits" according to Russian River because this would have been the go-to IPA in many beer circles. Would love to try this again in the near future!

03-13-2013 05:20:50 | More by CuriousMonk