Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,283
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros

nbanyard87, Mar 29, 2013

rboinski, Mar 28, 2013

timeo, Mar 28, 2013

Zorora, Mar 26, 2013
4.65/5  rDev -0.9%

This is a beer which, like so many of us beer nerds, I've wanted to try for a long, long time. I am a huge hophead, so this was a nice treat for me. Had this yesterday on tap at Varga bar in Philly for the black tie event. I managed to grab two 6 oz pours so I got a pretty good idea of this beer.

A: Almost clear orange/gold color with ample bubbles rising up to a ring of white head, pretty nice lacing.

S: Not the most pungent smelling triple IPA ever, but what is there is all resiny tropical and pine hops, weed, bitters, a crisp and clean aroma overall.

T/M: Really nice composed flavor, this is supremely balanced for a beer of this ABV. Floral and vegetal hops, tropical fruits abound with pineapple and papaya fruits for me shining through. This is very clearly the next step of elder as it has a nice dry finish, resiny front, and clean mouthfeel and the same sort of hop bill, but just more. Some honey soaked malts and a slight spicy note pervades as well- this accents the hops very well and contributes nicely to the feel overall. The taste lingers very nicely long after tasting it, which is always the mark of a great beer.

Overall, this is a great beer, and it is worth most of the hype. Did it blow me away? No. Is it still awesome? Yes. Would I drive to Philly from DC to and from in one day for it again? No. What I learned from trying this beer, is I need to take my hat off to it in that we wouldn't have beers like Boneyard Notorious, Alpine Expo Hoppiness, HF Ephraim, or even my local DC Brau OTWOA if it wasn't for this beer and it's "Elder" version. This beer seems like it would have blown the doors off the barn if I had it like 4-5 years ago, but now there are many comparable beers which maybe makes it seem less magical than it might have been before. As a saxophone player, it seems to me almost like having to appreciate Lester Young and Charlie Parker so that you can really enjoy Michael Brecker and Chris Potter etc meaning that you have to pay your dues to the ones who innovated first so you can see where the 'newer' things have grown out of. I tip my hat to Russian River and this beer for blazing the trail to the yet even crazier beers we have today.

Dreadnaught33, Mar 26, 2013

Haybeerman, Mar 23, 2013

nrb1, Mar 23, 2013

h2k2c, Mar 23, 2013
4.98/5  rDev +6.2%

First and foremost I just want to say that I did not intend to get drunk off younger but the opportunity to have as many glasses as I wished drove me to have my fill of it. And for the first time trying it, it was no less then amazing.

Golden, deep orange and minimum head, almost completely flat.

From the moment I had my first glass without putting my nose to it the smell found me, amazing sweetness deceptively covering the amount of hops it contains.

Mouthfeel was medium body, creamy silk, light oil consistency that made it one easy beer to drink and make u forget its actually 11%

Overall worth the wait and having a beer like this makes me appreciate perfectly crafted beer and has me searching for anything that can tap into the heels of this amazing brew, at least untill next year.

Turst3Since1987, Mar 23, 2013

ScottO, Mar 22, 2013
4.99/5  rDev +6.4%

I was lucky enough to get two glasses this year.

A - golden crystal clear yellow with almost zero head. There is no head retention because of all the hop oil. Great alcohol legs.

S - the smell knocked me off my feet. So piney and hoppy. I could smell the beer from the table. Almost didn't want to drink it because it smelt that good.

T - perfectly balanced and smooth. Classic RR IPA with the piney, citrus flavored but just the right amount of malt backbone. Some warming but no burn.

O - if this beer was more widely available it would be easily the best beer around. Lives up to the hype and has inspired me to finally make the trek to RR next year for the PtY release.

GetMeAnIPA, Mar 21, 2013

Can I say anything more about this beer than has already been published? Sat next to Vinnie during the day we were there. He mentioned he thought it was the best batch so far. I agree. My fourth year attending and it was definitely the best. A good friend is a photographer for the Santa Rosa Press Democratn who has done dozens of stories about Vinnie and his beer. Even HE said it was the best batch ever.

bluz4frank, Mar 21, 2013