Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 5,403
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,723 | Reviews: 925

Golden-amber in the glass with the faintest hop haze and a quarter-inch of white froth. Head retention is very good for such a high gravity beer, and the brightness and clarity are impressive.

The hop aroma is huge. Very resiny like Elder, but with a slightly greater sugary malt presence. Notes of pine and tropical fruit from the hops, the depth is outstanding and there's barely a hint of sweetness despite the staggering 11% ABV.

Plenty of juicy, resiny hops in the taste, but they're expertly balanced by the light malt backbone. Zesty and fruity hop flavors mix with notes of peach, pineapple and biscuit. A puckering hop bitterness comes out in the finish, overpowering the malt and drying the palate slightly.

Sticky, lightly oily with semi-crisp carbonation. Dry and bitter but displaying amazing balance, the bitterness never becomes wearying and the alcohol is hardly noticeable.

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks to weeare138 for this one.
Hand-bottled in a 12oz

A: Pours a slightly hazier, slightly lighter amber than the Elder with a bigger head as well. Lots of spiderweb-like lacing.

S: Big citrusy hop smell packed with grapefruit aroma.

T: Loaded with citric hop deliciousness. Not overwhelmingly bitter, per se, but tilting heavily toward that side of the spectrum. A slightly noticable alcohol presence.

M: Full-bodied, syrupy and thick. Light-moderate carbonation.

D: A great DIPA and significantly better than the Elder IMO. Worth the hype.

4.82/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this beer a couple of times at some beer tastings in the East.
A - Pretty much looks like a big IPA. Lots of amber color.
S - Wow. Smells like Christmas from a couple of feet away. It's almost overwhelming, but in a good way.
T - Wow. Again. So many hops it's tough to take it all in. Very complex.
M - Very fresh. Very lively. Very nice.
D - This is a huge, hoppy beer. It's extremely drinkable given the agressive hopping and ABV.

4.44/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. pour, at Hollingshead Delicatessen,

A: Poured into a Chimay chalice, Pliny the Younger pours a vibrant, sparkling orange, with a creamy, billowy almost white head. Good retention with solid lace.

S: Very hoppy, with lots of pine and fragrant grapefruit. Smells like a freshly cut Christmas tree.

T: Magnificent, incredibly hoppy and complex. Hop city, if you want to know what American hops are all about, then drink this beer. Lots of pine, grapefruit, and a fair amount of tropical fruit like papaya and pineapple abound in its great taste, with a good amount of complex, solventy alcohol.

M: Robust, resiny, warming, fruity, and complex.

D: Another great beer from Russian River, I prefer the Elder to this one, but this is a great beer in its own right, everyone who can find this elusive beer should try it. Too drinkable for it's weight, a pint will get you buzzed and only make you want more.

Edit 2/15/10 - Having this beer on-tap, fresh at Hollingshead's at 10:10 am when your taste buds are at their best, I think I really know where I am at with this effort. Upped the taste and drinkablity a bit, lowered the appearance, 4.6 tells you really what I think. This is the new #1. This is truly world class. In the end though I can get a similar experience from PtE and I don't have to fight crowds and lines. The hype machine has truly taken this beer to another level. It's so good, I think I will venture to Beachwood on the 23rd, but in the end, I don't know how pumped I'll be about seeking this beer out in 2011. Pretty much check it out at Beachwood since it's close. But the easy days of PtY are over.

Edit 2/25/11 - Having this year's version, it wasn't anywhere close to last year's, just a solid beer. Dropping the score down since sometimes it's insane, other times just a "good" DIPA.

4.62/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a home bottled younger some months ago but never recorded. Recording on revisiting it this evening.

Pours a golden orange into my Smutty Big Beer glass. A decent little head rises up and fades away in minutes. Aroma is deep, and sweet with the rich resiny hops kicking in and rounding out the nose.

Taste falls in line with aroma. Hops hit syou but the sweetness carries it through the sip. Lots of sweeet and sticky conifer, not even pine so much, resiny pitch that sicks deep into the swallow and lingers till the cotton sets in and your mouth is so dry it puckers. This gets a bit hotter as the temp creeps up letting some alcohol shine through a bit.

Have to thoroughly enjoy when the hype holds up. This is obviously a winner when in the mood for a DIPA.

4.42/5  rDev -5.8%

Clear faded orange liquid with quickly rising bubbles. A frothy bright white head rises up thickly and settles down to a firm half inch cap.

Bright and inviting aroma of tangerine and honeydew melon, some honey and cinnamon.

Full and rich flavor of resinous toffee sugar and some oily and sticky citrus hops. Less sweet than in the nose, more orange flavored with some grapefruit rind in the finish. A piney warmth lingers and warms the mouth. That 11% octane is well hidden beneath the flavors.

Good mouthfeel and carbonation despite the ABV. Pretty full and satisfying.

Very drinkable for such a big beer. Many thanks to RedwoodGeorge for this fine selection.

4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

OH MY GOSH!! [sorry about the cap lock, intentional though]

This nectar is unbelievable. Even after some of the worlds greatest Double India Pale Ales, i mean the BEST, this stuff is exceptional!

Pours a very nice pale golden color, just what an IPA [double or triple in my book} Perfect head! great lacing! [OK sorry about the exclamation points, but come on this is the best!!]

Great hoppy aroma.

Perfect balance, [Huge beer of course but...] big malt to go with the bitter hops.

[My local brewer makes a great triple, that actually come pretty close to this and some day some how i need to get this Pliny the Younger and Buzzsaw together!]

The only fault is that of course, you can't drink this all the time, and even though it [especially] isn't available to me easily, this is probably for the better.
Great stuff!

4.62/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Props to Redwood George for getting a bottle of this to someone in the Chicago area!!!

The appearance was a hazy, bright gold color with about 1/4 inch of white head. A few initial whiffs brought scents of grapefruit and lemon rind. More careful sniffing brought out some alcohol and bready croissant aromas.

The flavor was all about hops. There is a strong hop bitterness made up of mostly grapefruit, pine, and lemon flavors. What is not there is a strong alcohol taste. The mouthfeel is full with a dry, bitter finish.

Overall this is an exceptionally easy drinking double (or triple) IPA. Much more drinkable than other examples that I have had. I could drink a lot of this... which is very dangerous.

4.72/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a pale, hazy gold. Creamy head of white foam sits steady.
I was caught off-guard by the sweetness right off the bat..but that being said, once the sticky sweetness fades, this is one hoppy mother#^!%er... The citrus flavors are simply incredible..grapefruit, pineapple, orange, peach, mango, kiwi, etc, etc.. leading into an equally impressive piney, floral hop bite...wow. I would need to drink a lot more of this to try and capture all the flavors..and I have a feeling I'd be up for the challenge.
The huge hop dosage leads to a dry finish that leaves you tasting hops long afterwards..and at 11%, this remains remarkably drinkable down to the last drop.

A unique, complex, and unrelenting beer that certainly demands respect.

Can't thank wcudwight enough for the chance to try this rare gem.

4.53/5  rDev -3.4%

Had on cask at Naja's Place on my 21st birthday.
I was excited watching the beertender pump this one out of the beer engine and my mouth was salivating as she handed me my first legal "good beer." The beer was a dark orange with very little active carbonation, but a uge white frothy head. The taste was... well it's Younger. It's fantastic. Hoppy, creamy, smooth, hoppy, delicious. This was a most fantastic beer, I wish I could drink more of it, but it was my 21st and I was at Naja's and there were way too many other beers I had to try that night. I might not have been the best "advocate" that night, but dammit, how many times o you turn 21 at Naja's? Fantastic stuff, highly reccomended.

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

On tap at Capones in Norristown, PA.

Pours a bright amber/copper color with gold highlights when held up to the light. Nice fluffy, thick, two fingered, white head with great lacing on the glass.

Aromas of citrusy(especially grapefruit), zesty, lemony, piney, grassy HOPS, HOPS, HOPS!!!

Tastes of nice subtle, sweet malt and citrusy hops with a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy and a bit sweet but not cloying. Pleasant alcohol warmth with a sharp bitter bight.

4.89/5  rDev +4.3%

Nice golden color with an off-white head that retains well and leaves a decent lacing. Absolutely mind blowing aroma. Full of citrus; grapefruit and pine and other aromas I can't hardly begin to describe are not only blended perfectly, but are powerful enough to greet your tongue from a foot away. Amazing taste of aforementioned aromas with a strong, yet amazing bitterness. The bitterness seemed like it came in waves; extremely bitter, but only pleasant bitterness, not harsh at all. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a dry finish, leaving you wanting more and more once the explosion of taste leaves your mouth. I would drink the hell out of this if given the opportunity.
I should note that this was from a growler shared at DLD, it was not a full glass, but I felt there was more than enough for a review.

4.92/5  rDev +4.9%

HUGE THANKS to todd1 for this growler. You are a god among men, sir.

Pours out crystal clear, thin white head. Golden/copper in color. Not much carbonation to be seen... maybe since it's from a growler. Nice lacing whilst drinking.

Absolutely amazing hop aromas going on here. Very citrusy, bold American hops. Perfect for the style.

Taste absolutely lives up to reputation. Bold hop flavor, not overly bitter or aggressive. Sticky, citrus flavors... incredibly smooth and balanced. Strong malt backbone. Honestly, the most well-balanced DIPA I've ever had. As this warmed, the hops became even more prevalent.

Mouthfeel is wonderfully full. Nice hop-stickiness across the palate. I think this brew lost a bit of the carbonation being in a growler for a week before I opened it, but it's still very nice.

I didn't notice that this was 11% ABV until I was polishing it off. So smooth and tasty... masks the strong alcohol admirably.

Photo of
4.53/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Capone's 4/18/07.

Clear, true-gold in color. Modest, off-white head. Lacing minimal, some legs.

Aroma is grapefruit, peaches and honey. Smelled pine in my growler of Elder a few months ago, but didn't get that as much here. Tasting this side by side with Elder, and Younger doesn't smell as sweet.

Taste was grapefruit, big time. Younger has stronger hop bite than Elder. Biscuity, but covered in grapefruit jam. Well balanced, but still screams with hops, if that makes any sense. A bit sweeter than the Elder, and a more noticeable ABV. Grass and pepper at finish.

Medium to medium + in body. Carbonation seemed medium. Immediate feel of alcohol warming in Elder, alcohol warming with Younger when you pick up the glass...

Very, very good. If I wasn't drinking it side by side with Elder, I would probably have no complaints at all. As it stands, it is a touch sweeter and, to my taste, quite a bit hotter. I would happily drink this until I fell over, but when it came time to fill my growler, I took the Elder home with me.

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

Second of a group of growlers donated by kind hosts to the beer-sampling cause after being retrieved by a long road trip several days prior. Carbonation levels somewhat lower due to this treatment. Still sampled in reasonable condition and without having to take a personal trip down to Philly to have some.

After a minor cuisine-related mishap that had me thinking this somewhat bland and watery (see my tasting notes for the Elder for details), I came back to this beer to be quite pleasantly surprised. Suddenly, tasted on a palate no longer swamped with spice, I had something big and broadly hoppy and quite enjoyable.

Appearance was a clear deep amber. Due to conditions, there wasn't any obvious head without swirling up whatever little was still there, in which case there could still be some little bit of white bubbles. Big, broad, full nose of hops. Not so much a focused blast of grapefruit as in the Elder, more of a solid wide symphony of hops. Flavor was complex with a sort of mild start, then more of the hops shining through along side some syrupy-sweet caramel malt notes and then the 2x4 of the high alcohol to the side of the head. Wow. Needs to be treated with respect, but quite delicious. Again, quite similar to some other DIPAs that I'm fond of, but I prefer a more direct hop slightly lower alcohol/malt version so I will have to so that I prefer the Elder slightly. No matter, quite a wonderful beer.

4.92/5  rDev +4.9%

Sampled on-tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA on 4-18-07 as part of a side by side comparison with Pliny the Elder. This review is from notes taken that night.

APPEARANCE: Amber with gold highlights. Nice head with incredible lacing.

SMELL: Huge grapefruit and other citrus. Very raw hops flavors. Smells like the hops were just picked off the plant.

TASTE: It starts out so malty, you don't expect what's to come. But serious grapefruity hops come really hard, and last. The finish is nice and clean. An absolutely perfect beer.

MOUTHFEEL: Not very carbonated, but feels really smooth. Not syrupy like its Elder counterpart.

DRINKABILITY: Like the Elder, I'm blown away by this. No IPA can come close.

The Younger was my preferred Pliny of the night. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it.

4.24/5  rDev -9.6%

Many thanks to redwoodgeorge and mntlover for making this possible.

This beer is like Elder on steroids. The beer looks the same, smells much the same but there are some differences. The higher abv of the younger is evident. This takes just a touch from the drinkability because caution is needed. Much like the Elder, this beer is worthy of the hype and and I will likely try and get some more in the future.

4.32/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a clear copper/golden color with a solid inch off-white sticky head. I honestly didn't spend much time eyeing this one as the aroma when the bottle cap was popped kind of put me into a trance. Wonderful punget hoppy aroma. The aroma almost dares you and invites you at the same time.
Taste is much like the Elder. Hops are more agressive and the alchohol is more noticable in the finish. Still a marvelous tasting beer.
Mouthfeel is full, sticky and numbing. The Younger attacks the palate and leaves no doubt that he was there.
As much as I like this beer, and I LIKE this beer. IMHO, the Elder is better. I could drink the Younger often, but only a pint at a time. I could spend a happy life drinking nothing but the Elder. Both are excellent examples of thier respective styles by a top notch brewery and a very tallented brewer.
Thanks to RedwoodGeorge for not only providing the beers, but for the experience.

4.1/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Toronado. After drinking Pliny the Elder too many times to count, I finally came across the much heralded and harder to find Pliny the Younger on tap. Like the Elder, the Younger pours beautifully with a clean, coppery orange and a nice two-finger head. The smell is pungent with citrus/grapefruit hops, but with less of the sweet pine and floral character you sometimes find in the other good IIPAs. Not a bad thing - just different and you know this one is going to hit you big time with the bitter end of the hops. Flavor is dominated by grapefruity bitterness, but kept in check with a biscuity malt. Mouthfeel is medium and fairly smooth for such a big beer. My only real complaint is I find this beer to be a little more astringent and hot with alcohol on the finish than I like. Where the Elder is the epitome of balance for me, I find this one a bit unbalanced. Some like this, but to me it makes this a "have a pint and then I’m done with it" kinda beer. Another excellent effort by Vinnie, the Yoda of IPAs, but I’d rather hook myself up to an I.V. of the Elder for the night!

4.44/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Standard pint from tap

Appearance: Golden yellow in color, minus points for looking strangely like urine

Smell: Nothing overpowering with a light hop and medium malt smell.

Taste: A balanced malt flavor straight from the start quickly blends with a balanced hop charactor and a alcohol flavor. Finishes at first with a strong alcohol flavor that is mildly covered with the hops. The alcohol flavor quickly vanishes as the glass empties, because it starts to get you tipsy.

Overall: An excellent offering, but I didn't buy into the hype. I like the elder much more. I think with a little more time the alcohol would have aged into a more balanced beer. I finish still in search of a beer I would put in my all time top 10.

4.67/5  rDev -0.4%

Advertised as a triple ipa at hollingshead's. Nice hoppiness on the nose and mouth. The hop level is high, but the cascades (with another hop that I don't know) make it citrusy and easy to drink. A lot of ipas are just hop bombs with nothing else. This beer is a hop monster, but has enough malting (especially a delicate caramel malting) behind it to not just be hop oil. The alcohol presence is also not too extreme even though this an 11 percent abv beer. This beer is a work of art and you need to go out and drink it. Stop reading my review and go drink it NOW!

4.65/5  rDev -0.9%

I have had this beer four separate times. I have in front of me four separate pages of notes and my head is swirling with how to put this all together. Twice I did a side by side with the Elder and the Younger. Clearly these are two, TERRIFIC beers! The Younger is the strong muscular, steroid juicing aggressive loud ostentatious, sibling to the more refined, Elder brother. Pliny The Younger gets right in your face and smacks you around until you pay attention. Wow!

Appearance: pours light liquid gold into my snifter glass. A white frothy head rises moderately in this beer (more in the first growler than the second.) The carbonation in this beer is very tight. A few swirls and the wall of the glass are lined with lace though it does not stick. Very attractive brew.

Smell: The aroma is extremely poignant and yet quite complex. The bold resinous hops spray hop juice directly up the nose. When we opened the growler you could notice it across the table. There is a sweetness as well. A tropical fruit attribute that brings to mind pineapples and apricot along with the glorious grapefruit. The sweet sugary sticky backbone does present it self, and then is followed by a noticeable alcoholic rum-like presence as well.

Taste: Where do I even start. Again this is much more aggressive than the Elder. It is intensely hoped with grapefruit, pine, lemon, orange-rind, tangerine, pineapple, and pepper scorching the mouth and then peach, apricot, melon, and loads of sweet sugar, malts caramel and cookie-dough pull this back into harmony creating a nice balanced MONSTROUS beer. The alcohol plays a role in there too.

Mouthfeel: It is a rough prickly roller-coaster of sensations on the palate. It is hard to describe because the hops bite at you while the sugars ooze through the palate slow and sticky. It is sweet and full in the mouth but then the warming alcohol and the bitterness leave you feeling more of the bite than the sticky caramel sweetness.

Drinkability: This Monster is an EXTREME IPA! There is no two ways about it. It is not friendly or approachable, it is impressive. A magnificent display of what can be done when you give a great brewer the chance to show off. I suggest sipping this beer! =) I also discovered that you really do need to let it warm. Bars serve it too cold. Order it before your meal and drink it after; and I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

---
DIPA, IIPA, ... No. This one is certainly an 'Extreme IPA' as coined my akorsak. To Adam, Chancellor, Extreme IPA! ;-)
---

4.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Hollingshead Deli in Orange County, CA.
Poured a golden yellow with a white half finger head that melted slowly to top covering, very sticky lacing. Beautiful.
Lots of hops and a little brown sugar amber malt in the aroma.
Very balanced with it's sweet amber malt and fresh grapefruit peel bitter hops...nothing really fighting anything...just two very strong, impressive opposites complementing each other very well.
Great DIPA from a great West Coast Brewer.
Wish they would bottle this stuff.

4.45/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. Presented in a wine glass. Appears a rich golden amber-yellow with a finger of fluffy white head. Smells of grapefruit, apricot, pineapple and sweet malt. Tastes of the same fruits evident in the nose, predominantly grapefruit, alcohol. Just about the perfect balance of piney, fruity hops, and rich caramel malt. Finish is very dry. Moderate in both body and carbonation. What a sublime DIPA.

4.94/5  rDev +5.3%

A growler filled at the Union Jack's Inn On The Manatawny. Thanks to Phatz for sharing it.
A- Light amber with ample white head

S - Extremely Hoppy aroma -floral, citrus and heaps of pine abound

T - Kicks and envelopes taste buds with hop acidity, malt sweetness creeps in at the finish

M - Full round and substantial with sharp hop edges

D - Less than average drinkability due to over the top hops, alcoholic strength, but a delightful taste nonetheless

Edit -prior ratings A 4, S 4.5, T-4, M 4.5, D-4 from Growler

I went to the release this year and had it on tap -2014 I want to update since I was so impressed with the difference having it fresh from the source.

Start with appearance- the color is spot on with light haze and lasting head with fine bead. Smelling this- The smell is phenomenal, I don't think I have smelled hops as fragrant or clean with tropical fruit citrus and sweet floral odors in an Imperial IPA before -just incredible and wonderful in every way. The feel is equally great -practically no alcohol and lots hop resins with mild sweetness and semi high carbonation with moderate bitterness and semi-dry finish.

The flavor is great just embodies everything good about an Imperial IPA, Hops are the star but nice amount of malt body to support and the smooth flavor is seemless without much alcohol taste at all and I had this on an empty stomach/clean palate. Overall extremely drinkable for 10%+ and worth the time it took to try it on tap at the brewpub which I was skeptical of but recommend having this fresh to appreciate the true glory that is Pliny the Younger.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company