Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 5,389
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,723 | Reviews: 925

I have long since given up on milestone beers. That being said this beer is a milestone all on its own so I am going to make it review 900. It has been my holy grail for the past year or so and a great big fucking thanks goes out to Talisker for once again hooking a brother up!

I owe you.

Being the good guy I am I took it to the local tasting group for all to enjoy.

A: Pours an ultra clear golden hue that is actually fairly light for the style. Bold creamy head quickly rises to a nice solid cap. Good retention, lots of lace and fizz when swirled. This one begs to be drank.

S: Holy hops batman! This baby is pure hop juice. Huge hop aroma with wonderful scents jumping out at you. Juicy orange and sweet apricot play well with peach and grapefruit. Green grass cuts through along with an absolute bouquet of flowers.

T: The malt in this beer must be ridiculous for the balance to be so spot on despite the insane amount of hops. Nice sweet caramel malt peeks through but trust me there is much more going on here in the malt department. That being said it has no chance to shine. The hops plow through with the malt doing its best just to provide balance... which it does quite nicely. The hop flavors are like nothing I have ever tasted. Sweet, Citrus, and Floral are all there. Sun sweet apricot and peach really stand out with notes of sweet mango. The green grass cuts through and seems to duel with sweet orange and bitter grapefruit. To call this beer complex would be an understatement. To call it great would be a crime. It is sooo much more and even better I could ever imagine.

M: Full bodied, rich, thick, smooth. It coats the mouth and throat with sweet and bitter fruit that just lingers and lingers. Pure sex in a bottle.

D: I had two full glasses and if there had been more I would have had a third. That being said I was fine drinking all the beers at the tasting. When finished with this one I was bombed, yet there was no hint of the ABV in the flavor.

Huge aromas, and out of this world flavor. This is one many will try to duplicate but will no doubt fall short.

It is worthy of that holy grail title. The best beer in the world? I would say so at least for now. The good news is my boy ibrew2or3 brought a growler home with him from his trip to Cali. I get a second round with this bad boy tomorrow. Life could not be better.

Give an arm, a leg, your first born. Get this one you will be glad you did. Talisker you rock man, I owe you big time!

- Based on 2 10 oz drafts at Resurrection Ale House in Philly:
I doubt I have much to add to the raving about this beer except to echo my affection. It pours a copper, golden orange w. good carbonation, a decent, albeit thin head and lacing all the way down the glass.
The nose is a floral, citrus, hoppy explosion with pineapple, orange, lemon zest but especially grapefruit.
The taste, while not what I would describe as complex, was just...well...perfection - bitterness perfectly offset by sweetness and malt and a peppery grapefuit fresh aftertaste. There is evidence of the alcohol in the warming finish but no hint of the 11% (so beware!).
In short, maybe there is a better beer out there somewhere, but I have yet to find it; This is an awesome beer.

REVIEW 500!

I slayed a growler of this last night with the help of the other Matt. Weapon of choice was my Stone IPA tulip. I obtained a growler in a trade with great BA. As a result of our heroic undertaking, my mind is still not firing on all cylinders, but this is the best DIPA I've ever had and only my second straight 5.

Beer poured from a Russian River growler into a Stone IPA tulip. Beer is yellow to orange and CLEAR! The pour forms a white head about an inch to a half an inch in thickness that falls away leaving some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to high and really steady. The bubbles nucleate at the bottom of the glass mostly, beginning small but rise slowly increasing in size as they rise to the head. The head retention is good. No chill haze, beautiful color, good head dynamics, nice level of carbonation, its a beautiful beer.

Aroma is primarily a lot of hops....a lot of hops. Very citrusy with some pine notes in there. There is some sweetness, its a dominate aroma component. Its difficult but sometimes I think I can smell some alcohol but mostly I can not. For being such a huge beer, I really can't tell based on the aroma at all. The aroma is also huge. I can smell it from across the table. I found myself not even drinking it just smelling it, very complex, very big, very wonderful.

Taste time, balance. This beer hits all the parts of the palate, forward, middle and back. Obviously there is hop bitterness in the back, there is some sweetness up front, but no alcohol. Beer is medium bodied, definitely not a malt bomb like some DIPAs tend to be. There are almost fruit notes in the mid-palate. Some sweet orange or almost lime flavors. Beer finishes cleanly, leaving no aftertaste. Bitterness grows as it does with most big hoppy beers, but it does not interfere with the other flavors or drinkability.

I was going to originally rate the drinkability as a 4.5 for this beer. But I had some food between my pints of it and after some food a blew through my second pint. It is an amazingly balanced and completely wonderful IPA. At 11%, it is unlikely that I would make it my daily drinker, but it is the most dangerously drinkable 11% beer I've ever had.

EDIT: I had this again at EBF (4 ounce pour) and compared it side by side with Pliney the Elder. I realized as Matt and I were drinking this growler that it was an important but absent variable in my review is comparing it to another beer. We drug out an Exponential Hoppiness for comparison but it wasn't the right thing to do.

At the fest I had 4 ounces of each next to each other. My wife and I both tasted each and agreed that Younger was better than Elder. It was sweeter and thicker, had more fruit notes on the palate and smells were uncomparable. The hop aroma on Younger blew the hop aroma on Elder out of the water. I'm not going to write an additional review of this beer on draft, I just thought I would include these thoughts in my present review.

I've had every batch of Pliny the Younger and I wasn't about to miss out on this latest one.

The beer poured a rich golden color with a small white head that quickly turned into a small lace.

The aroma of this beer was bursting with amazingly fresh hops. Pine and heavy citrus (tangerine, grapefruit, and pineapple) were there in abundance. The alcohol was there to help carry the aroma up and away.

The flavor of the beer had an intense, yet incredibly rounded hop profile that blended many hop flavors. A myriad of citrus fruits were there, but tangerine was the heaviest. Many double IPAs have hop profiles that are good, but one dimensional. PTY had a multi-dimensional hop flavor. The malt profile was clean and sweet. Mostly 2 row pale malt with some light notes of caramel malt.

The mouthfeel was medium/light with a rich creaminess that worked so well for this beer. I'm assuming corn sugar and Carapils malts were used in this beer which made it crisp and dry, yet still dextrinous enough to never be thin.

The carbonation was fine and tight.

This beer is a masterpiece. This latest batch seems like the finest to me. The hop profile is a little different and improved from previous batches. I'm fortunate enough to live close to several places that have this beauty tapped. Life is good.

A: Filtered deep golden beer with frothy head.

S: Citrus, spice and honey.

T: Best in class. The flavor unfolds wonderfully, the hops and high ABV somehow not overpowering, the finish smooth but sharp.

M: Standard for a triple. This is one place the high abv can be noticed.

O: This beer's scarcity is its one (terrible) fault. Pliny the younger may be delicious but is not in the same league.

I will change the score when I find a better beer. I enjoyed this beer because it was sooo similar to pliny the elder, yet bigger in every way possible. the malts were not prominent and the hops smashed the pallet but in a very gentle way. The bar went crazy when they ran out. I am grateful for the people who were there early and appreciate the beer. I will be around next year.

Wow! I had my first Pliny The Younger yesterday at Abbey Pub in Bend, Oregon. I enjoyed it a great deal. There were about 50 people there when Geoff tapped the keg at Noon. At 12:23pm, the keg was empty. :-)

A - It has a light golden color that's clear with a light white head.

S - A wonderful hoppy smell with pine and citrus floating off the top with floral undertones.

T - Huge hops, piney and dry that finishes with a bitter touch. The alcohol is well hidden in Pliny tradition.

M - Moderate body with a touch of carbonation.

D - I can hardly wait until next year. Thanks Vinnie.

Mark

A: Poured into a snifter at the Bottleworks Grand Re-Opening. They had a great selection but my mind was already set before I walked in. Golden orange with burnt lemon and butterscotch hues. Infusion of well balanced hazy copper rich tones. While lighter in complexion than my expectations it is a fantastic looking beer. Perfect pearl white head that fluffed up like thousands of minuscule marshmallows. Retention was strong. Sticky crystallized lacing all down the glass.

S: Coats the air with honey seared grapefruits and flowery resined hops. I pushed my nose close to the glass to inhale the orchestra of melting spruce and fresh pine needles. Hints of lemon soaked tangerines. Smells like they corked a pine tree and drained out all of the sap while blowing it full of toffee smoke. Citrus, berries, and perfection.

T: This one hits the mouth like an ax blade glazed in hops. Much like the aroma everything about the taste is clean, fresh, and crisp. Significantly rich with assaulting hops. Pineapple juice tang and orange rind pierce that are cut with just the slightest vanilla and banana roundness. Subtle spiciness emerges from the cacophony of hop madness. This is over 10% and while there is no alcohol in the taste you get a nice flush feeling about 6oz in (especially at 1130AM, after the gym, and on an empty stomach). Every taste is better than the previous. Not just first class for the style but first class for beer in general.

M: Perfectly dry and smooth with a medium mouth feel. My tongue was still tingling 45 minutes later.

D: The best IIPA I have tried. Thus, I am giving this five's across the board. A possible uniter of humanity? RR may be onto something. It's a sipper but after the first sip it's hard not to keep going. They should just call it a triple imperial IPA. I am by no means an expert on beer but this lived up to my anticipation. Thanks to RR for creating this and Bottleworks for providing it.

Apearance - Hazy golden copper with a 2 finger white head with medium retention and awesome lacing.

Nose- Candied grapefruit and pine. Floral and spicy. Strong aroma, but not off putting, in fact, quite the opposite.

Palate- Strong enough malt back bone to support the amount of hops. Sweet start, hop flavor middle, balanced finish.

Mouthfeel- Very light for its ABV and well carbonated. Crisp.

Drinkability- I, like so many others, could drink this all day.

Overall- Well worth the trip. I will be back next year.

Best beer ever. Had the 2015 edition. Drove 9 hours to the Russian River Brew Pub and got lucky with only a 2 hour wait time on a Saturday to get in. Totally worth all the hype. So amazingly drinkable its scary. It almost hurts to say but I prefer it over Pliny The Elder.

It's gold, Jerry... it's gold!

When I heard about Pliny The Younger, I was at my infancy stage of beer enjoyment. I had read many reviews and often thought, "how the hell can any beer be as good as people rate this to be??!!" So, I decided to break Vinnie's rule and enjoy this beer at a local watering hole weeks after "it should have been enjoyed." Well, Vinnie, I can't imagine how this wonderful contribution to the beer world could get any better, even after sitting through a coast to coast joyride, over many wonderful brew towns in this great place of freedom to brew whatever the heck you want to! All I can say is thank you. One day I will enjoy this citrine jewel in the location of its birth, until then...

Sharing my buddies growler during the big game.

A - pours a beutiful rich pale orange. White sticky head stands out at the top. The beer head grasps the rim of the pint glass tightly. Amazing

s - wow, first wiff, smells like a fresh rain forest. Further smell brings out slight grapefruit bitterness. Every sniff is a new adventure.

T - this beer tastes so pleasing. The taste grabs your taste buds and screams bitter. Even the burps afterwards remind you of the taste. The hoppiness in this beer is awesome. It's a bitter sweet. Feels like biting into a grapfruit, you get the bitterness of the peel, and then the sweetness of the fruit kicks in to finish. Perfect triple ipa taste going on here.

M - only been in the growler for 2 days. Carbonation is there. The beer is bubbly, it's silky, it's smooth. It's everything you can ask for in a perfect beer. I can't complain about this mouthfeel.

D - wow, at 11%abv, this beer is dangerous. It is the highest abv beer that us unnoticable to me. The hops and malt create the perfect bitterness and sweetness to mask the abv perfectly. This beer also has such a good balance that it is hard to put down. It is very easy to drink an entire growler solo. Wish I could. So damn drinkable.

O - this beer is the top of it's style for a reason. It's got the whole package. If you enjoy ipas, this beer is a step beyond in the right direction. Highly recomended.

A - Striking honey colored amber. Wasn't expecting the look of this beer to be as beautiful it was.

S - Pine & Grapefruit notes, classic DIPA smell, very fragrant

T - The classic hoppiness of other great DIPAs was there, but it was incredibly smooth, almost subtly sweet. None of that bitter or funny aftertaste you usually get with heavily hopped beers. Exceptional!

M - Despite its malty notes, it maintains the crispness you expect from an good DIPA.

O - I bought into the hype before I tasted this beer, so you'd think it I'd be at least a little let down, but I kid you not, I teared-up a little. It's that good. If anything, I think I expected something more aggressive, like Stone's Domination IPA, but the magic of this beer is how it marries the wonderful hoppy qualities of an DIPA with a smooth, sweetness that I've yet experienced in one of its peers. Hands down the best DIPA you will ever experience, and maybe, dare I say it, the best *beer* you will ever experience (outside of Belgium, of course... respect to the Trappists)

Went to Russian River Brewery yesterday to get me some Younger. We parked out back and didn't see much of a line. After walking up to the bouncer, I found out the back door entrance is for folks purchasing growlers only, who could come in and get anything they want to go, for the exception of a pour of Younger. Once we walked around the front, we saw the liny for the pliny which took us 3 hours to get through. As we waited, we decided we've came too far to turn back now, but this will be a one-time thing waiting in line this long for some beer. Once we got in though, holy smokes. Pliny the Younger did NOT disappoint. Less hoppy and much smoother than Elder, it was absolutely the best 10% beer I've ever tasted. Like everyone said, lots of grapefruit...simply amazing.

Great brew, I wish it was bottled and year round. It taste like a concentrated glass of grapefruit and pine. I've had heady topper, and I know this would rank higher if it were more readily available outside of California. I also think that this blows heady topper out if the water.

I had this beer about a dozen times in February and twice in March. I write this review now from notes I had written on my notepad app in my phone. I think this review deserves the complete journey I took from La Habra to Santa Rosa on a chilly evening in February. I drove seven and a half hours to get to Russian River and arrived a bit past 10:30pm. My girlfriend and I ordered a couple glasses of Pliny the Younger. What I saw was a small glass with a clear, obviously filtered, golden beer and a nice head. The aroma was enticing to me, not so much my girlfriend. "It smells like pine cones!" She was not a beer enthusiast like me but I agreed with her- "It also smells like citrus and in very good balance. Not one more than the other." So we drank. Poof! Like a memory it was there and it was gone- it vanished, it evaporated. It was so easy to drink I had to keep the second gulp in my mouth, swish it around and chew it a bit to get the complete experience. I was dumbfounded. "Isn't this supposed to be nearly 12%?" I asked my girlfriend. By this time she was done and ordered another. This was a woman that barely got the hang of Leinenkugel not two months before. As I watched her drink it, swish it around and chew a few times (like I told her to) she would close her eyes and "Mmmm! This is SO good." This was probably the fifth or sixth kind of beer she has ever tried. The aggressive amounts of ABV with the intense aroma and smooth flavor and the subtlety by which the flavors develop in your mouth which is such a rich dynamic from a hop punch in front to a sweet tang of citrus to the back which completely masks the amount of alcohol in addition to being filtered- this beer is quite frankly dangerously delicious and I can't wait for my next journey in February!

First of all I just wanted to say I am not one of these guys who went to beer college and pretends to know anything about beer. I know what I like and I know that Russian River has a huge hype behind them...But its the real deal. Pliny the Younger has been on my radar for a long time and finally got a chance to get a taste this past weekend at Harrys Hofbrau. It did NOT disappoint. From the second I got the beer in my hand(4oz pour) I swirled it around in my glass for what seemed like 10 minutes smelling the hell out of it. I wanted to stick it up my nose and breathe it in forever...It was refreshing. Its definitely got a huge scent and taste of grape fruit. Super smooth, much more than the Elder but amazing. Well worth the wait in line and wish it wasnt so hard to get...But I see why it is. If this beer isnt on your bucket list revise that list today! Cheers

On tap at Toronado. First keg tapping of 2009 in the yay area...Reprazent.

A: 12oz tulip chalice, light golden ambrosia with a thickish white head of pure white. Head lasts and leaves good lacing and legs.

S: Sweet, sticky, weed influenced, candy coated hops, with big light french bread malts as well.

T: holy hop monster, super sticky to the icky with tons of hops and a candy coated sweetness from the boatloads of malts.

M: Syrupy and sweet, like canned doal pears...but instead of pears..there are HOPS. Like marijuana laced beautiful candy coated candy coloured goodnes. The mouthfeel is sticky, icky, and full and it COATS your mouth...for real.

D: I can drink this all day and all night. It goes down WAY too easy for a 10 + % abv brew. I just slammed two of these with Jen in like 20 minutes...haha..every year, I drink too much of it, and every year it gets me drunk on the cheap...!

ENJOY this shit while it's around...! for real...it will be gone within the next 10-14 days...seriosuly. Get some PTY action YO

For Realz.

Jam Master F

This is not beer, it is hop juice. That said, it is the tastiest thing I have ever put in my mouth. Had on tap at Lucky Baldwins.

Appearance: Pale ale color, nice dense head. Sheet after sheet of lacing.

Smell: Massive orange juice aroma.

Taste: orange rinds on a big bed of malt. There is no noticing the 11% alcohol level. This is perfectly balanced and insanely delicious. Although there is a sweetness to this monster, it is not a sweet beer.

Mouthfeel: light carbonation, silky and delicious. Not a drop of harshness for all the long lasting and beautiful hoppiness.

I had a Avec Bons Les Vouex afterwards and could barely taste it. I could sell my soul for this.

There is no doubt in my mind. For all the talk and trendy tales about this beer, now I understand this to be one of the greatest IIPA ever crafted.
Life's mysterious abundance, got me in the doors of Father Office in Santa Monica right before the mob, and a long quest was finally ended few feet from the bar counter(for an other year:).
Very much a replica of the Elder in the aroma profiles, the color takes a darker copper orange red tones here. Clear and crisp appearance with a impeccable inch head that is the gift that keeps on giving. Releasing complex Citrus,pineapple,caramel pine essence into your nose, just to prepare you to what I will call "A religious experience" has your lips come in contact with the tulip.
Smooth yet extremely strong mouth feel at the same time. A balance that would make any scale blush. Full body,Average carbonation, inviting hop bit up front but magically metamorphose on your taste buds to open up a vast field of complex hop flavors.
Definitely more intensity than with the Elder, and great sweet caramel silky consistency that lace down the glass as you watch your new lover disappear sip after sip. I had four in one hour. Just that good and I couldn't resist. Watch out though. 11% is a quick reminder that this one is a triple IIPA.
Enjoy

Huge-ass growler courtesy of RedwoodGeorge. You are a prince among men.

Pours a hazy coppery color with a very nice, thick, almost injection molded, pure white head. Lacing and retention are both spectacular. This beer just screams drink me from the moment it hits the glass.
Smell is a hop head's wet dream. Nothing but hops, pure, unadulterated hop aroma. Well balanced and just superb. Piny, citrusy, and just a bit earthy. Some alcohol in the nose, but at 11% it's not surprising. Everything is balanced out nicely with just a hint of toffee.
Taste, again, is just amazing. This is hop juice pure and simple. What starts off slightly sweet, and a little caramelly, easly blends into a piny, bitter and downright great taste. Loads of hops in this one, that's for sure, and yet it doesn't seem overdone. I've had some DIPAs that are just acrid with hops where as this beer blends everything together so nicely it's hard to find fault. There is, of course, a slight (very slight) alcohol warming sensation as this one goes gleefully down my throat.
Mouthfeel is just what I want from a DIPA, not tooth enamel stripping, but not something that is going to feel like water going down. With the amount of hops in this it's amazing that the former isn't the case.
Drinkability is insane for the alcohol content. I could easily drink this beer all night and not have any complaints. Of course, the next morning might be a problem, but I'm sure it would be a fun night.
Overall, this is easily one of the best IPAs if not one of the best beers I've ever had. It stands to style, and takes it just one or 10 steps further than you would have thought possible. An impeccable beer from an even more impeccable brewery.

A: A perfect golden yellow but it did not have a significant head to go with it.

S: It smelled bitter but was a little more muted considered they claimed to have dry hopped it 5 times. However the high alcohol could be keeping some of the aromas in solution.

T: AWESOME. I did a comparison with Pliny the Elder and the Elder tasted bland in comparison. The IBUs on Pliny the Younger must be over 150 yet there is still perfect balance within the beer with caramel, citrus, and pine.

M: Perfect retention and carbonation.

O: Even if you live in Alaska, the trip to Russian River in February is worth it if you are a beer enthusiast. I will be making the trip every year despite the fact I will be moving out of the area in a couple of months.

Absolute blast at Russian River this year, younger is nothing short of amazing

A huge thanks to Matt (drabmuh) for sharing his growler with me!

Served in my Russian River pint glass.

A: Remarkably clear, beautifully light in color, effervescent, white fluffy head that leaves generous amounts of sticky lacing

S: Huge hop aroma with grapefruit, citrus, floral notes. Alcohol virtually non-detectable in the nose.

T: This beer is worth all the hype. Wow! Unbelievably smooth. Huge hops, no astringency, the bitterness and sweetness walk a tightrope of perfection. The taste hits you initially with smooth hops, then transitions to a sweet, sticky deliciousness that coats the palate, and finishes with a wonderful bitterness that begs to begin the sequence again.

M: Everything is perfect here - carbonation, freshness, this beer is phenomenal.

D: At 11%, this beer kicked my ass, and I loved it. I finished three pints, and would've hurt myself even worse if we didn't run out.

Pliny The Younger from Russian River Brewing Company