Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,421
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros

likemike, Apr 10, 2014

HighonHops42, Aug 28, 2014

bombadil, Nov 14, 2011

Topher78, Feb 17, 2012

skunk242, Jul 16, 2012

Live review from the toronado (sf)

The younger is so smooth! Silky smooth. It smells good and is absolutely delicious.

The hops are exceptionly balanced; and the alcohol is too well hidden.

It deserves all the credit and hype!

A very welcome surprise, I didn't expect it to on tap. It the king of beers!

Bluetick, Mar 14, 2010

acsprouse, Feb 15, 2013

On draught at Oskar Blue's Liquids and Solids in Longmont, Co. Poured into an 8oz snifter.

A: Deep gold with amber hues but more on the bright side of amber then the dark. Solid head retention that fades into a spiderweb like lacing on the glass.

S: Massive piney hops is the first aroma to hit your senses. It's as if you too a wiff of the biggest pine tree in existance and let the flavor wash over you. Touches of citrus grapefruit also take shape behind the chronic and pine notes.

T: Massive pine to match the nose. Comes across somewhat sticky and resinous but the bitter is truly there. Citrus fruit such as mango and pineapple are present but pine and chronic flavors are dominate. The malt is solid and doesn't subdue the hops but instead balances them very well.

M: Because of the prefect malt backbone this beer weighs heavy on the palate. Top of mouth is coated but the bitterness creeps from the back of the palate to the front. Citrus notes linger on the middel of the tongue and the finish just doesn't stop. Almost no booziness present.

D: Having the oppurtunity to taste this beer is up there with getting superbowl tickets. It's worth the time, effort, and money. It's exceptional in all standings for what an Imperial IPA should be. It's not over hopped nor is it over malted, it's perfectly balanced- just like all the beers RR does. I only wish it were made more often or in higher quantities because 8oz's is just not enough.

notyourdadsbeer, Mar 24, 2011

teamchevymxer, Sep 20, 2014

kazmaniac, Nov 22, 2011

joshfullam, Apr 16, 2014

bdm620, Feb 12, 2012

What to say? This is the best beer I've ever tasted - and boy, have I tasted a few good ones.
The aroma was superb - I would have never thought that a beer could smell that good. The whole experience of the beer was simply ecstatic. Brewing on grapefruit and oranges is original and brilliant!

Denmark, Feb 14, 2013

on tap at Toronado SD

A: a beautiful light copper orange color.

S: lots and lots of grapefruit hops hit the nose.

T: the hops are what I taste from beginning to end. Lots of pine and grapefruit overwhelm my mouth. So much hops aftertaste. Minutes of it. I should just wait to see how long the hop aftertaste lasts.

M: amazing carbonation reallly masks the thickness of this beer. Contributes to it's amazing drinkability.

D: the 11% is sooo well hidden. I have to slow myself dwn from drinking this one like I would a single IPA. This beer is from a different planet. A planet I want to live on all the time.

gregshead, Feb 16, 2011

I was luck enough to have this 2 days in a row, 2 10z pours at RR and 2 more the next day at a tapping at Bobby G's in Berkeley. All 4 were equally amazing, though nothing will ever match the first couple sips I had at RR. Rarely does a beer live up to the hype, but this one surpassed it for me.

Poured a golden yellow with a thin head that disappeared very quickly.

The aroma was great, but not amazingly strong. You could really tell that this beer was all hops.

The taste was literally mind-blowing. It's like a hop explosion in your mouth. And all hops, but it a really balanced way, if that makes sense. LIke all of the characteristics of hops you can have in a beer (grapefruit, pine, floral, tropical, bitter) that were all balanced perfectly harmoniously on the tongue and permeating every corner of my mouth. You can't even taste the alcohol.

It has a very light mouthfeel for what I would've expected, and that, plus the extremely great taste, contributes to the danger of this beer because I could easily drink 3 before I even felt drunk. In fact, I could literally drink these all night, or as long until I passed out! In fact, on my 2nd day of Younger, I was drinking with an inexperienced beer buddy, and he enjoyed it so much, he's the one who asked for a 2nd round, not really comprehending the effect of 10.25-11%. He was definitely feeling it by the time we made our way around the corner to Triple Rock.

Overall, I would have to say it surpassed all my expectations, and I will definitely be putting Younger day on my calendar every year for as long as we are blessed with this beer.

AbyssJunkie13, Feb 20, 2011