Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,072
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
Sanchezrox23

06-26-2013 07:32:14 | More by HaveUSeenMyCellar
skunk242

07-16-2012 18:34:53 | More by skunk242
Bluetick

Live review from the toronado (sf)

The younger is so smooth! Silky smooth. It smells good and is absolutely delicious.

The hops are exceptionly balanced; and the alcohol is too well hidden.

It deserves all the credit and hype!

A very welcome surprise, I didn't expect it to on tap. It the king of beers!

03-14-2010 02:17:17 | More by Bluetick
acsprouse

South Carolina

02-15-2013 06:26:37 | More by acsprouse
notyourdadsbeer

Colorado

On draught at Oskar Blue's Liquids and Solids in Longmont, Co. Poured into an 8oz snifter.

A: Deep gold with amber hues but more on the bright side of amber then the dark. Solid head retention that fades into a spiderweb like lacing on the glass.

S: Massive piney hops is the first aroma to hit your senses. It's as if you too a wiff of the biggest pine tree in existance and let the flavor wash over you. Touches of citrus grapefruit also take shape behind the chronic and pine notes.

T: Massive pine to match the nose. Comes across somewhat sticky and resinous but the bitter is truly there. Citrus fruit such as mango and pineapple are present but pine and chronic flavors are dominate. The malt is solid and doesn't subdue the hops but instead balances them very well.

M: Because of the prefect malt backbone this beer weighs heavy on the palate. Top of mouth is coated but the bitterness creeps from the back of the palate to the front. Citrus notes linger on the middel of the tongue and the finish just doesn't stop. Almost no booziness present.

D: Having the oppurtunity to taste this beer is up there with getting superbowl tickets. It's worth the time, effort, and money. It's exceptional in all standings for what an Imperial IPA should be. It's not over hopped nor is it over malted, it's perfectly balanced- just like all the beers RR does. I only wish it were made more often or in higher quantities because 8oz's is just not enough.

03-24-2011 19:11:48 | More by notyourdadsbeer

bdm620

02-12-2012 02:40:42 | More by bdm620
Denmark

Denmark

What to say? This is the best beer I've ever tasted - and boy, have I tasted a few good ones.
The aroma was superb - I would have never thought that a beer could smell that good. The whole experience of the beer was simply ecstatic. Brewing on grapefruit and oranges is original and brilliant!

02-14-2013 03:32:33 | More by Denmark
gregshead

on tap at Toronado SD

A: a beautiful light copper orange color.

S: lots and lots of grapefruit hops hit the nose.

T: the hops are what I taste from beginning to end. Lots of pine and grapefruit overwhelm my mouth. So much hops aftertaste. Minutes of it. I should just wait to see how long the hop aftertaste lasts.

M: amazing carbonation reallly masks the thickness of this beer. Contributes to it's amazing drinkability.

D: the 11% is sooo well hidden. I have to slow myself dwn from drinking this one like I would a single IPA. This beer is from a different planet. A planet I want to live on all the time.

02-16-2011 04:38:11 | More by gregshead
AbyssJunkie13

I was luck enough to have this 2 days in a row, 2 10z pours at RR and 2 more the next day at a tapping at Bobby G's in Berkeley. All 4 were equally amazing, though nothing will ever match the first couple sips I had at RR. Rarely does a beer live up to the hype, but this one surpassed it for me.

Poured a golden yellow with a thin head that disappeared very quickly.

The aroma was great, but not amazingly strong. You could really tell that this beer was all hops.

The taste was literally mind-blowing. It's like a hop explosion in your mouth. And all hops, but it a really balanced way, if that makes sense. LIke all of the characteristics of hops you can have in a beer (grapefruit, pine, floral, tropical, bitter) that were all balanced perfectly harmoniously on the tongue and permeating every corner of my mouth. You can't even taste the alcohol.

It has a very light mouthfeel for what I would've expected, and that, plus the extremely great taste, contributes to the danger of this beer because I could easily drink 3 before I even felt drunk. In fact, I could literally drink these all night, or as long until I passed out! In fact, on my 2nd day of Younger, I was drinking with an inexperienced beer buddy, and he enjoyed it so much, he's the one who asked for a 2nd round, not really comprehending the effect of 10.25-11%. He was definitely feeling it by the time we made our way around the corner to Triple Rock.

Overall, I would have to say it surpassed all my expectations, and I will definitely be putting Younger day on my calendar every year for as long as we are blessed with this beer.

02-20-2011 06:49:42 | More by AbyssJunkie13
Curranme

07-15-2014 00:12:39 | More by Curranme
Ktown67

Wisconsin

02-20-2012 23:51:47 | More by Ktown67
Benm1024

Got to try the beer at a local restaurant that got a couple kegs of it. 10 oz pour.
I was going into trying the beer with an expectation of it being good, and it did not disappoint. I was very surprised at how well the beer came together as more than just a better Pliny the Elder. It was more citrusy as opposed to piney, and it did not at all taste like 11% alcohol. I cannot give it anything other than perfect scores because there is nothing more I could possibly ask for in a beer.

02-27-2014 22:58:23 | More by Benm1024
AndrewCalvi

I was sadden when i heard that Russian River sold out of this beer in the first 8 hours. Frantically I called up every local beer bar in with in an hours drive of Santa Rosa, and found out that Toronado would be tapping a keg in a week at a special Russian River 'tion night. The first sip was very magical and I knew that it was worth the trip. The gobs of hops are not over whelming like you would first expect. I think the bitterness is so intense that your taste receptors just shut down. The 11% alcohol sneaks up on you like drinking a glass or two of really good wine. You get a nice buzz going on, and you do not feel full or bloated from drinking a few pints, since they serve this to you in 8 oz. pours. That was probably one of the greatest nights in my life, until a week later I found out that RRB had a top secret keg of this stuff still available. I noticed a difference in the taste just by the Younger aging only a week, it wasn't as crisp and intense as I had remembered. Although it was still a great beer to drink. That night I had 3 glasses of Younger and a basket of beer bites. I would pay $100 any time to be able to have that night again. It was one of the best meals i have ever had.

06-19-2010 23:26:32 | More by AndrewCalvi

Beeranator

02-10-2013 21:02:59 | More by Beeranator
peabody

Kentucky

I don't give up all 5's very often but this one deserves it.
Pours out really clean and clear with two fingers of white suds. Pine tree in a bottle here. I mean the oily pine shit you get on your hands after cutting down a pine tree. Very strong pine smell in other words.
Tastewise, the bitterness hits first with a blackness from hades. You get used to it really quickly. Then the pine smell is twice as strong.And the malt and mellowness take over.
Really a complicated drink here.
Mouthfeel is perfect and you never know you have had an 11% beer in your hands. This is the perfect mouthfeel for an IPA.
Drinkability should be lower since you can't get this all the time. In fact, this year it only lasted 12 days. This is a travesty!
This is the perfect IPA for now. I can't wait for the beer to beat this one!

Serving type: growler