1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,117 | Reviews: 833 | Show All Ratings:
djbreezy

2010 on tap at the Horse Brass Pub and Saraveza in Portland, OR
2011 on tap at Saraveza in Portland, OR

appearance - pours a transparent amber with a one finger head and heavy lacing that lingers in long strings on the glass

smell - hop forward with fruit and citrus

taste - very hoppy but balanced considering the abv, floral and citrus hops, pine, the freshest IPA I've ever tasted, hops mask the massive alcohol in a way unseen

mouthfeel - very smooth, almost cask conditioned smooth

drinkability - very drinkable, the alcohol will sneak up on you...it's a creeper

02-23-2010 03:56:48 | More by djbreezy
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

When looking, you probably won't think this is the greatest beer in the world. It's real yellow. But the aroma, jeez, what is this, like triple or quadruple dry hopped?

Amazing aroma, dry hops of multiple hop varieties, summit, amarillo seem plentiful. So smooth, yet so hoppy, you don't taste a hint of alcohol, a favorite at the DIPA festival hosted by the Bistro. Mouthfeel, while not complex, is perfect. You love to burp after drinking this beer. Very drinkable once again, no alcohol noticeable. You just want more and more.

This beer packs ton of hop flavor into a super light, dry body. Relatively low bitterness. Lots of dank pine and cannabis type of flavors and aromas. Legit as tit.

02-27-2010 23:46:43 | More by Beerandraiderfan
regspeir

- Based on 2 10 oz drafts at Resurrection Ale House in Philly:
I doubt I have much to add to the raving about this beer except to echo my affection. It pours a copper, golden orange w. good carbonation, a decent, albeit thin head and lacing all the way down the glass.
The nose is a floral, citrus, hoppy explosion with pineapple, orange, lemon zest but especially grapefruit.
The taste, while not what I would describe as complex, was just...well...perfection - bitterness perfectly offset by sweetness and malt and a peppery grapefuit fresh aftertaste. There is evidence of the alcohol in the warming finish but no hint of the 11% (so beware!).
In short, maybe there is a better beer out there somewhere, but I have yet to find it; This is an awesome beer.

03-03-2010 20:52:24 | More by regspeir
Bluetick

Live review from the toronado (sf)

The younger is so smooth! Silky smooth. It smells good and is absolutely delicious.

The hops are exceptionly balanced; and the alcohol is too well hidden.

It deserves all the credit and hype!

A very welcome surprise, I didn't expect it to on tap. It the king of beers!

03-14-2010 02:17:17 | More by Bluetick
gafferjohn

Had this at the local 44.I felt very fortunate to have the opportunity to try this and even more so to have it in a nice peaceful local with not that many people. I've read some of the reports of PtY madness at other tappings.

From memory: What can I say, It was the smoothest, best balanced beer I've ever had. The smell was intoxicating with tropical fruitiness and some nice hops right off the bat.

Taste was less hoppy that Pliny the Elder or just better balanced ? Could not tell that it was 11% abv. Mouthfeel was not very heavy but not weak by any means. Just really an incredible experience.

I just can't wait to have it again someday !

04-14-2010 23:04:00 | More by gafferjohn
Wantbeer

A - served in a tulip glass
S - Very hoppy, citrus and floral
T - tasted hops and orange...great representation of style just perfect
M - after it warmed it was incredible, balanced from start to finish
D - excellent beer just perfect

04-27-2010 08:11:05 | More by Wantbeer
AndrewCalvi

I was sadden when i heard that Russian River sold out of this beer in the first 8 hours. Frantically I called up every local beer bar in with in an hours drive of Santa Rosa, and found out that Toronado would be tapping a keg in a week at a special Russian River 'tion night. The first sip was very magical and I knew that it was worth the trip. The gobs of hops are not over whelming like you would first expect. I think the bitterness is so intense that your taste receptors just shut down. The 11% alcohol sneaks up on you like drinking a glass or two of really good wine. You get a nice buzz going on, and you do not feel full or bloated from drinking a few pints, since they serve this to you in 8 oz. pours. That was probably one of the greatest nights in my life, until a week later I found out that RRB had a top secret keg of this stuff still available. I noticed a difference in the taste just by the Younger aging only a week, it wasn't as crisp and intense as I had remembered. Although it was still a great beer to drink. That night I had 3 glasses of Younger and a basket of beer bites. I would pay $100 any time to be able to have that night again. It was one of the best meals i have ever had.

06-19-2010 23:26:32 | More by AndrewCalvi
DovaliHops

From notes... Went to PtY release on Feb. 5th...Waited in line for 3 hours and was lucky enough to get a couple glasses for my girlfriend and I along with 3 growlers before they sold out an hour after we got there. Appearance was a bit darker and more amber color than Elder. Not a big head with incredible lacing. The smell is mind-blowing...I walked around my house with a an empty growler of it up to my nose during the Super Bowl (that's how amazing it smelled.) It's like the Elder on steroids. The taste is like no other beer in this world. So much pine, floral, sweet caramel, citrus, and hop notes....you can't get more complexity in an IIPA. The mouthfeel is slightly chewy... with SO much drinkability. I can't believe how fast I consumed high quantities of this beer. Can't wait for 2011 release!

06-22-2010 08:59:15 | More by DovaliHops
wknight167

Apearance - Hazy golden copper with a 2 finger white head with medium retention and awesome lacing.

Nose- Candied grapefruit and pine. Floral and spicy. Strong aroma, but not off putting, in fact, quite the opposite.

Palate- Strong enough malt back bone to support the amount of hops. Sweet start, hop flavor middle, balanced finish.

Mouthfeel- Very light for its ABV and well carbonated. Crisp.

Drinkability- I, like so many others, could drink this all day.

Overall- Well worth the trip. I will be back next year.

01-03-2011 05:02:10 | More by wknight167
hopmonkey

I was there at the 2011 debut. Simply an outstanding, world-class beer. Floral, pungent hops without the bitterness that so many have unfortunately associated with "good" IPA. Well-balanced and obviously carefully crafted, this is a distinctly American beer. And one to be proud of. Well done Russian River. Oh, and watch out because that 10%+ ABV will sneak up on you...

Finally, the Russian River staff and patrons couldn't have been friendlier or more welcoming. Rock on.

02-07-2011 19:15:44 | More by hopmonkey
SpdKilz

Drove up seven hours to Sacramento to stay at Abel's (abecall98) in Sacramento this past Friday, then drove another two hours Saturday morning to go to Santa Rosa...all so I could try this beer again on tap at the SOURCE.

Appearance - Given to me in a 10oz glass. After waiting in line for almost three hours, I was more thirsty for water than for beer to be honest. But alas, after seeing this beer, in its beautiful golden hue against the three o'clock sun...I pushed my thirst pangs aside. Slight white head that dissipates relatively fast, but leaves some nice thing lacing.

Smell - Wonderful. People were saying it smelled/tasted more "hoppy" than last year (IMO PtY is more citrus while PtE is more piney/hoppy). I don't know what they were thinking. The massive amounts of tropical aroma were prevalent even before I brought the beer to my nose. Grapefruit, orange, tropical fruits, slight pine, hops, and a malty aroma almost not noticeable due to the sweet tropical fruits.

Taste - I can honestly say, Holy Cow. This beer IS all that it is hyped up to be. Seeing as I drank more PtE oz for oz than any other beer last year, I just can't get over how different this "brother" to PtE is. Such an amazing tropical fruit/citrus quality. I had SO many of these while at the RR pub. I am so glad I went up there.

Mouthfeel - SO creamy, thicker viscosity, decent carbonation, slick, amazing.

Drinkability - If I gave this to someone, had them literally quaff down the beer, and then tell them it was over 10% they would laugh at me thinking I'm lying. This beer, this year over last, seems to me to be just insanely drinkable. Having no alcohol in my system and having this after standing in line for so long I would have expected to get some alcohol taste or warmth. No. Nothing. Utterly amazing. This is my FIRST perfect five I have given in over two years on BA. This beer deserves it hands down. Especially seeing as the most well versed style I know is IPA/DIPA, this beer just outdoes EVERYTHING. I am SO glad I drove up from LA for this. Amazing on tap.

02-09-2011 03:51:56 | More by SpdKilz
RBassSFHOPit2ME

I was one of the first 20 people in the joint SuperBowl Sunday and thought I might as well order a Younger while I'm here. I mean...everyone else was doing it.

I've had this beer now 5 years now in a row and it never disappoints. (Note - I did review the 2009 Younger but I was new to BA then and to reviewing beers. That review was all over the place so I'm going to leave it out of this review. If you want to compare it that bad search my profile)

A - Looks very similar to Elder, the pour was to the tip of the 10oz glass so no head to speak of but the lacing stuck all over the glass from top to bottom. Looks, crisp and beautiful for an DIPA this big.

S - Smells similar to PtE but a tiny bit muted in comparison in regards to not as pungently floral. BUT, the Tropical Fruit and hemp and earthiness coming out of this is fantastic. Smells very balanced. Can't wait to dive in.

T - I've heard Younger referred to as Elder on Steroids which I agree with and disagree with. How could it be on steroids if it's a smoother beer? BALANCE...wow. It's everything Elder is but a bit stronger malt profile to balance out the enormous amount of hops. The Tangerine forward Grapefruit that the Elder provides in citrus is replaced by Younger with Tropical Fruits and I want to say strawberries. There is less pine in Younger than Elder but the earthiness is still present. Similar bitter finish in the end but not quite as much as Elder. If I could give a 6 here I would.

M - Similar qualities to Elder but smoother and easier drinking??? This is a 5

D - In my 2009 review I gave this category a 4 but this year is the easiest drinking Younger I can ever remember having. I could session this beer, and pretty much did as I drank my 3 pours and my wife's 3 pours as well. I could have kept going but she was starting to get annoyed with me.

Final Thoughts - If you can improve upon Elder which near impossible to do, it's been done with Younger. Many similarities but this is more complex and masterfully crafted. There were more "stages" to this beer. I kept thinking to myself...when you get this this level of IPA (10% +) it really can't be crafted any better. Truly world class. Never had a better IPA or beer period.

02-10-2011 02:19:44 | More by RBassSFHOPit2ME
Habanero58

United Kingdom (England)

The things I will do to taste world class beers!!

Made a 11,000 mile or so round trip from London, UK to Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, CA to be there during 3 of the 14 days of PtY at Russian River. Was in the first throng on Superbowl Day so hello to anybody who also got that little emerald green wristband!! Great organistation here from the Russian River team. Anyway...

No sooner than we were seated (having quickly made friends in the queue) than the magic words "Younger"? were spoken and the beer followed shortly after.
I will have to start backwards and say the thing that astounded me most about this beer was the drinkability.
It is so smooth and creamy and the 10.25% ABV announced on the RR blackboard is just SO well hidden that you really do not realise how strong it is.

Even with my poor sense of smell the floral, fruity, piney scent of PtY blew me away as when I had first tried PtE.

I returned to RR for two more days and on my last visit sampled PtY and PtE alongside eachother as I find this helps me to really spot any differences.
That they are close siblings is no doubt but the thing that stood out for me was that I thought PtE had a much drier finish. The bitterness was certainly there but seemed more discreet in the Younger.

Anyway, mission accomplished, it was nice to meet possibly the most drinkable, the most quaffable beer of all...which it probably shouldn't be? Amazing!!

And my bottles of Supplication and Consecration survived the flight home! Thanks to everybody who made me so welcome in Santa Rosa and RR.

02-10-2011 22:19:08 | More by Habanero58
Offa

This is truly excellent and overall essentially a stronger, slightly more intense and richer version of Pliny the Elder, with the same excellent balance of hop and malt, bitter and sweet, full body and easy drinkability.

It is deep gold or pale amber with a smallish off-white head soon thinning to a foamy ring that eventually diminishes, but leaving nice lace all the way down.

Aroma is a stronger Pliny the Elder essentially, with caramelised grapefruit and pine, some lemon and plum as well as other undefined but rich light fruity character and a raisiny character.

Taste is excellent, a full but balanced character. It has complex balance of warming fruity-raisiny character with some lightly toasted caramelised grain and plenty of spicy citrusy hops including a lightly caramelised orange and grapefruit with some green grass and leafiness. Feel is excellent, again a great balance between a full, slightly oily body and a light lively zestiness. It is not viscous, greasy or heavy and drinkability is high.

02-10-2011 23:28:44 | More by Offa
Sideswipe

On tap at Stone 1/10/11

PTY arrived in a 8oz glass with a one finger layer of dense white foam atop it. The head bubbled away quickly leaving a small ring around the outside of the glass. The beer is a clear golden orange color, beautiful! The nose is huge citrus and floral notes with a good dose of pine, very nice! The taste. Is. Incredible! Orange, tangerine, and grapefruit play across my tastebuds. The malt manifests itself as a sugar cookie sweetness. The most amazing characteristic of this beer is the balance it exhibits. The ABV is completly hidden. It is the perfect blend of sweet biscuity malt and citrusy, piney bitterness. In a word, exquisite! Mouthfeel is medium with an appropriate level of carbonation. It's creamy, smooth and perfect. Drinkability is over the top. No trace of the 10+ABVis noticeable at all. This beer is the pinnacle of IPA evolution. A must try for any hophead.

02-11-2011 02:01:46 | More by Sideswipe
notchucknorris

Had on tap at Toronados

A: A beautiful clear golden color with a nice foamy head that quickly drops to a few off white bubbles on top of the beer.

S: Unbelievable. Smells a lot like the other Pliny, but with a little bit of a tropical flare. Lots of piney hops, some mango, apricot and a lot of pineapple. As the beer warms, an earthy smell appears and some bitter hop resins.

T: I was expecting this to just be a bigger version of PTE, but as other have said, it doesn't taste "bigger," just better. The balance in this beer is uncanny. Citrus hops and grapefruit hit the palette first along with a sharp peppery bite and then it gets mellowed by the malts and finishes pretty crisply. It takes all of the rough edges that PTE has and polishes them into a masterpiece. One of the best beers I've ever had.

02-11-2011 22:46:27 | More by notchucknorris
NWer

Washington

On tap at RRBC on Tuesday the 8th and again on Friday the 11th.
Trying very hard not to get caught up in the hype but couldn't help it.
This is one amazing beer. The perfect balance between flowery smoothness and hoppy essence you want from a DIPA.
It just tastes sooo good!
Thanks for the memories RRBC! My new gold standard to measure all others.

02-12-2011 12:18:38 | More by NWer
Beerenauslese

Body is a clear gold poured from draft to about a half-inch head. White foam dissipates pretty quickly to a cap and ring. Leaves trace lacing on the glass, which is motile and does not stick.

Aroma of light malt, floral and fruity hops--green grass and grapefruit, pine. Somewhat resiny. Hops are present across the palate, and begins with sweet malt and caramel. Mid-palate and in the finish, there is a pleasant hop burn on the tongue.

Body is medium with pleasing carbonation, producing a very creamy mouthfeel.

This is a great tasting, pleasant drinking ale. ABV at 11% is well masked by the big flavor. Excellent beer, but should be consumed responsibly.

02-13-2011 02:34:43 | More by Beerenauslese
Hawkfish

Washington

First brew rated, figured it should be 'the One'.

All I can type is 'incredible' and 'epiphany'. It was when I drank Adam from HotD for the first time. Wow!

It ranks as one of the best beers ever sampled. Drank 3 between sour sample.

Beer Nirvana! I can hear Angels!

02-13-2011 03:50:02 | More by Hawkfish
gregshead

on tap at Toronado SD

A: a beautiful light copper orange color.

S: lots and lots of grapefruit hops hit the nose.

T: the hops are what I taste from beginning to end. Lots of pine and grapefruit overwhelm my mouth. So much hops aftertaste. Minutes of it. I should just wait to see how long the hop aftertaste lasts.

M: amazing carbonation reallly masks the thickness of this beer. Contributes to it's amazing drinkability.

D: the 11% is sooo well hidden. I have to slow myself dwn from drinking this one like I would a single IPA. This beer is from a different planet. A planet I want to live on all the time.

02-16-2011 04:38:11 | More by gregshead
HipHop5

There is no doubt in my mind. For all the talk and trendy tales about this beer, now I understand this to be one of the greatest IIPA ever crafted.
Life's mysterious abundance, got me in the doors of Father Office in Santa Monica right before the mob, and a long quest was finally ended few feet from the bar counter(for an other year:).
Very much a replica of the Elder in the aroma profiles, the color takes a darker copper orange red tones here. Clear and crisp appearance with a impeccable inch head that is the gift that keeps on giving. Releasing complex Citrus,pineapple,caramel pine essence into your nose, just to prepare you to what I will call "A religious experience" has your lips come in contact with the tulip.
Smooth yet extremely strong mouth feel at the same time. A balance that would make any scale blush. Full body,Average carbonation, inviting hop bit up front but magically metamorphose on your taste buds to open up a vast field of complex hop flavors.
Definitely more intensity than with the Elder, and great sweet caramel silky consistency that lace down the glass as you watch your new lover disappear sip after sip. I had four in one hour. Just that good and I couldn't resist. Watch out though. 11% is a quick reminder that this one is a triple IIPA.
Enjoy

02-17-2011 15:36:18 | More by HipHop5
AbyssJunkie13

I was luck enough to have this 2 days in a row, 2 10z pours at RR and 2 more the next day at a tapping at Bobby G's in Berkeley. All 4 were equally amazing, though nothing will ever match the first couple sips I had at RR. Rarely does a beer live up to the hype, but this one surpassed it for me.

Poured a golden yellow with a thin head that disappeared very quickly.

The aroma was great, but not amazingly strong. You could really tell that this beer was all hops.

The taste was literally mind-blowing. It's like a hop explosion in your mouth. And all hops, but it a really balanced way, if that makes sense. LIke all of the characteristics of hops you can have in a beer (grapefruit, pine, floral, tropical, bitter) that were all balanced perfectly harmoniously on the tongue and permeating every corner of my mouth. You can't even taste the alcohol.

It has a very light mouthfeel for what I would've expected, and that, plus the extremely great taste, contributes to the danger of this beer because I could easily drink 3 before I even felt drunk. In fact, I could literally drink these all night, or as long until I passed out! In fact, on my 2nd day of Younger, I was drinking with an inexperienced beer buddy, and he enjoyed it so much, he's the one who asked for a 2nd round, not really comprehending the effect of 10.25-11%. He was definitely feeling it by the time we made our way around the corner to Triple Rock.

Overall, I would have to say it surpassed all my expectations, and I will definitely be putting Younger day on my calendar every year for as long as we are blessed with this beer.

02-20-2011 06:49:42 | More by AbyssJunkie13
luisfrancisco

Mexico

Tasted the beer at the bar. I had to wait in line for about one hour and a half. I then just proceeded to drink two 10 oz younger glasses in almost no time at all. It is really exceptional how easy drinking the beer is for its size.
I later ordered an Elder and a Younger to compare then side by side.

Appearance is fantastic. A hazy orangey color, just a tad more copper than the characteristic yellow of pliny the elder. Under some lights they seemed almost the same color, but when held up, you can clearly see that Younger is a bit more orange. Very nice. It is a little hazy, but I guess it goes with the style and the amount of hops. Not a very large head but it really doesn't matter, the beer was very nicely carbonated.

Smell is wonderful. Piney, citrus hops. I swear this has got to be the best smelling beer ever. Perhaps I like the smell of the Elder just a tad better, just because it is a bit dryer. Nonetheless a LOT of hops and a delicious smell.

Taste is just fantastic. It is impressive how the Younger can make the Elder seem not as good. It really has a nicer, maybe a little more balanced taste. Not as dry, and just as much hop flavor.

Everything was amazing about the beer. The only bad thing is they only make it once a year and I had to travel FAR to get it.

Drinkability is excellent. I would have had more, but did not want to get home without a brain.

The best beer I've had hands down. Really hard to express how this one makes the Elder seem like a normal beer. Although we all know the Elder is also great. I hate to give out a perfect score, but this one just plain deserves it.

02-22-2011 00:14:18 | More by luisfrancisco
chcfan

On tap at TJ's in the western burbs of Philly.

Maybe I'm tasting the hype, but this is the third year I've had it and it blows me away every time. And this is after drinking HopSlam and Nugget Nectar heavily for at least a month before getting a glass.

Looks like liquid gold in the glass, if gold were a little darker. The aroma is very similar to the Elder. Possibly a little more potent, which is saying something! Taste is pure hops, but less bitter than the Elder, which is why I prefer Younger.

It's the perfect beer for hopheads. Big thanks to Jeff from TJ's for this one.

02-24-2011 12:54:07 | More by chcfan
Prospero

Colorado

2/28/11 - 8oz pour in to a tulip glass

The color was exceptional, a clear shiny copper color with a thin white head that was only about 1 finger or so that dissipated quickly.

The aroma was full of citrusy & floral hops. A very intense aroma for a beer, but had the perfect blend of hops in the nose that work very well with each other.

Taste was amazing. It was sweeter and maltier than I expected, possibly to better balance out the loads of hops this beer has. Full of grapefruit and sweet like honey. The finish has a nice piney note on the end as well.

Mouthfeel was perfect, not too heavy or light, the carbonation was a bit lower than most IPAs, but suited this beer just right. It really brought out the smoothness and balance between the malts & hops on the tongue without the bringing out the bitterness.

This is quite possibly the best balanced IPA I've had even though it's a TIPA. I love the Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder, this is just one step beyond and much more refined. Excellent beer, well worth the wait, only wish it was more readily available.

03-01-2011 05:26:00 | More by Prospero