Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,660
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros

A - Striking honey colored amber. Wasn't expecting the look of this beer to be as beautiful it was.

S - Pine & Grapefruit notes, classic DIPA smell, very fragrant

T - The classic hoppiness of other great DIPAs was there, but it was incredibly smooth, almost subtly sweet. None of that bitter or funny aftertaste you usually get with heavily hopped beers. Exceptional!

M - Despite its malty notes, it maintains the crispness you expect from an good DIPA.

O - I bought into the hype before I tasted this beer, so you'd think it I'd be at least a little let down, but I kid you not, I teared-up a little. It's that good. If anything, I think I expected something more aggressive, like Stone's Domination IPA, but the magic of this beer is how it marries the wonderful hoppy qualities of an DIPA with a smooth, sweetness that I've yet experienced in one of its peers. Hands down the best DIPA you will ever experience, and maybe, dare I say it, the best *beer* you will ever experience (outside of Belgium, of course... respect to the Trappists)

Went to Russian River Brewery yesterday to get me some Younger. We parked out back and didn't see much of a line. After walking up to the bouncer, I found out the back door entrance is for folks purchasing growlers only, who could come in and get anything they want to go, for the exception of a pour of Younger. Once we walked around the front, we saw the liny for the pliny which took us 3 hours to get through. As we waited, we decided we've came too far to turn back now, but this will be a one-time thing waiting in line this long for some beer. Once we got in though, holy smokes. Pliny the Younger did NOT disappoint. Less hoppy and much smoother than Elder, it was absolutely the best 10% beer I've ever tasted. Like everyone said, lots of grapefruit...simply amazing.

Great brew, I wish it was bottled and year round. It taste like a concentrated glass of grapefruit and pine. I've had heady topper, and I know this would rank higher if it were more readily available outside of California. I also think that this blows heady topper out if the water.

I had this beer about a dozen times in February and twice in March. I write this review now from notes I had written on my notepad app in my phone. I think this review deserves the complete journey I took from La Habra to Santa Rosa on a chilly evening in February. I drove seven and a half hours to get to Russian River and arrived a bit past 10:30pm. My girlfriend and I ordered a couple glasses of Pliny the Younger. What I saw was a small glass with a clear, obviously filtered, golden beer and a nice head. The aroma was enticing to me, not so much my girlfriend. "It smells like pine cones!" She was not a beer enthusiast like me but I agreed with her- "It also smells like citrus and in very good balance. Not one more than the other." So we drank. Poof! Like a memory it was there and it was gone- it vanished, it evaporated. It was so easy to drink I had to keep the second gulp in my mouth, swish it around and chew it a bit to get the complete experience. I was dumbfounded. "Isn't this supposed to be nearly 12%?" I asked my girlfriend. By this time she was done and ordered another. This was a woman that barely got the hang of Leinenkugel not two months before. As I watched her drink it, swish it around and chew a few times (like I told her to) she would close her eyes and "Mmmm! This is SO good." This was probably the fifth or sixth kind of beer she has ever tried. The aggressive amounts of ABV with the intense aroma and smooth flavor and the subtlety by which the flavors develop in your mouth which is such a rich dynamic from a hop punch in front to a sweet tang of citrus to the back which completely masks the amount of alcohol in addition to being filtered- this beer is quite frankly dangerously delicious and I can't wait for my next journey in February!

First of all I just wanted to say I am not one of these guys who went to beer college and pretends to know anything about beer. I know what I like and I know that Russian River has a huge hype behind them...But its the real deal. Pliny the Younger has been on my radar for a long time and finally got a chance to get a taste this past weekend at Harrys Hofbrau. It did NOT disappoint. From the second I got the beer in my hand(4oz pour) I swirled it around in my glass for what seemed like 10 minutes smelling the hell out of it. I wanted to stick it up my nose and breathe it in forever...It was refreshing. Its definitely got a huge scent and taste of grape fruit. Super smooth, much more than the Elder but amazing. Well worth the wait in line and wish it wasnt so hard to get...But I see why it is. If this beer isnt on your bucket list revise that list today! Cheers

On tap at Toronado. First keg tapping of 2009 in the yay area...Reprazent.

A: 12oz tulip chalice, light golden ambrosia with a thickish white head of pure white. Head lasts and leaves good lacing and legs.

S: Sweet, sticky, weed influenced, candy coated hops, with big light french bread malts as well.

T: holy hop monster, super sticky to the icky with tons of hops and a candy coated sweetness from the boatloads of malts.

M: Syrupy and sweet, like canned doal pears...but instead of pears..there are HOPS. Like marijuana laced beautiful candy coated candy coloured goodnes. The mouthfeel is sticky, icky, and full and it COATS your mouth...for real.

D: I can drink this all day and all night. It goes down WAY too easy for a 10 + % abv brew. I just slammed two of these with Jen in like 20 minutes...haha..every year, I drink too much of it, and every year it gets me drunk on the cheap...!

ENJOY this shit while it's around...! for real...it will be gone within the next 10-14 days...seriosuly. Get some PTY action YO

For Realz.

Jam Master F

This is not beer, it is hop juice. That said, it is the tastiest thing I have ever put in my mouth. Had on tap at Lucky Baldwins.

Appearance: Pale ale color, nice dense head. Sheet after sheet of lacing.

Smell: Massive orange juice aroma.

Taste: orange rinds on a big bed of malt. There is no noticing the 11% alcohol level. This is perfectly balanced and insanely delicious. Although there is a sweetness to this monster, it is not a sweet beer.

Mouthfeel: light carbonation, silky and delicious. Not a drop of harshness for all the long lasting and beautiful hoppiness.

I had a Avec Bons Les Vouex afterwards and could barely taste it. I could sell my soul for this.

There is no doubt in my mind. For all the talk and trendy tales about this beer, now I understand this to be one of the greatest IIPA ever crafted.
Life's mysterious abundance, got me in the doors of Father Office in Santa Monica right before the mob, and a long quest was finally ended few feet from the bar counter(for an other year:).
Very much a replica of the Elder in the aroma profiles, the color takes a darker copper orange red tones here. Clear and crisp appearance with a impeccable inch head that is the gift that keeps on giving. Releasing complex Citrus,pineapple,caramel pine essence into your nose, just to prepare you to what I will call "A religious experience" has your lips come in contact with the tulip.
Smooth yet extremely strong mouth feel at the same time. A balance that would make any scale blush. Full body,Average carbonation, inviting hop bit up front but magically metamorphose on your taste buds to open up a vast field of complex hop flavors.
Definitely more intensity than with the Elder, and great sweet caramel silky consistency that lace down the glass as you watch your new lover disappear sip after sip. I had four in one hour. Just that good and I couldn't resist. Watch out though. 11% is a quick reminder that this one is a triple IIPA.
Enjoy