Pliny The Younger - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The YoungerPliny The Younger

Wants: 4,290
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Younger Alström Bros

Cazlo, Mar 15, 2013

MykelJH, Mar 15, 2013

ucsbmullet, Mar 15, 2013

Hopbrizio, Mar 14, 2013
4.68/5  rDev -0.2%

Stood in line at Sidecar in Philly for a couple hours to get a pour of this. Was very much worth it.
The beer was lighter in color than I would have expected, but it had a beautiful white frothy head. The aroma was thick. Big hop notes of citrus with hints of tropical fruit, sitting over a big malt base that seems to thrust the hops into your nostrils. The hops and malt seem wonderfully cohesive and you can already tell this is going to be a juggernaut of a beer. The taste is equally satisfying. Thick malt and resinous hops roll across the tongue while a wonderfully complex hop profile opens us with orange, lemon and grapefriut flavors, some deeper notes of tabacco and chalk and the occasional swirl of malts keep this long, complex and drinkable. Wonderfully balanced and surprisingly easy to throw down. For those looking for a grapefruit fix, something like Maharaja might be better, but thsi has got to be one of the most well crafted and tastiest beers out there.

jmaharaj, Mar 14, 2013

I don't know if this is the 'world's best beer'. But it is the best I have ever tasted. Hands-down.

Smooth, bold flavors, and a refreshing, crisp finish. The two loveliest ladies in my life surprised me by waiting in line two hours to secure the last two tickets for a special pouring of Pliny the Younger, while I was stuck at work all day and none the wiser. It's pretty much the perfect brew. I highly recommend.

tomakeanend, Mar 13, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +4.5%

After such a long quest for some PtY, I was finally able to imbibe on some of this goodness at the Bishop's Collar in Philadelphia a couple weeks ago. Poured into a 4oz sampler glass (had two thanks to my wife who doesn't drink beer) - Poured beautiful clear golden with an one-finger super white head with beautiful lacing that lasted very well throughout. The intense aroma was full of citrus and floral hops along with pine. PtY had the perfect blend of hops in the nose that work very well with each other. The taste sweeter and maltier than I expected, possibly to better balance out the loads of hops this beer has. This was by far better than Pliny the Elder - by a mile. Full of grapefruit and sweet like honey. The finish has a nice citrus and resiny note on the end as well. Mouthfeel had a perfect balance with lively carbonation lasting throughout the (obviously very short) drinking session. It really brought out the smoothness and balance between the malts and hops on the tongue without the bringing out the bitterness like I thought it would have due to the Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder, so this was a pleasant surprise! This beer was perfectly balanced all-around. It is truly such a shame that this beer is "very expensive and difficult to make under tight space limits" according to Russian River because this would have been the go-to IPA in many beer circles. Would love to try this again in the near future!

CuriousMonk, Mar 13, 2013

BigVin215, Mar 13, 2013

SMcGuire33, Mar 12, 2013

Grant35, Mar 12, 2013

THECPJ, Mar 12, 2013

vicsju1991, Mar 12, 2013
4.84/5  rDev +3.2%

Was abosolutely thrilled to get this beer on draft at the Bishops collar in Philly. Unfortunately they only ended up giving out % oz samples. Still great to try. Nose is Elder on steroids more pine, more tropical. As perfect a mouthfeel as I've had from an IPA. Taste is sublime. Amazingly balanced between bitter hops and biscuit y malt. hope to get a full glass soon.

Homebrewpat, Mar 12, 2013

derekrick420, Mar 12, 2013

Quackus, Mar 11, 2013
4.61/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured on tap at Monk's Cafe into a wine glass for the charity event Alex's Lemonade stand. 2 1/2 hours of waiting in line, good chats, and good crowded insane times!

Glass poured ahead of time. Pale brass yellow to bronze amber body. Very clear and crystal, not much noticeable carbonation. Given with only a thin off tan to white soapy collar that never lets up. Very pretty looking IPA, with some matching spider like lacing.

Nose is familiar. A great wet sense of juicy hop orange and tangerine. There's a honey sweetness behind this also, it really reminds me of hopslam, and a very dry heat that come off of it. Not boozy smelling at all. Clean, but doesn't give me the sense of a big body coming.

Palate hits hop front hard. Big juicy but still wet body, not unlike Zombie Dust, but with a quenching almost pilsner crispness. Hop explosive notes of hinted orange from the nose, but the body is far more tropical with giant fruits of mango, maybe peach, but giant fruit punch tropics. Incredibily dry finish, almost getting into brut champagne territory, with pine hop complimenting the arid quality nicely. There is just a touch though, a peck of grainy character on this in the swallow.

It's very memorable, and hardly contains any alcohol boozy heat. I completely forgot this just barely kicks in over ten percent abv, it sure doesn't feel like it at all. It personally for myself is just missing that hint of bigger body, and oomph, and a certain "wow" factor. It's so close but it's a great beer. I'll never forget it.

smakawhat, Mar 11, 2013

ESeab, Mar 11, 2013

OleDixie, Mar 11, 2013

AilHead, Mar 11, 2013
4.6/5  rDev -1.9%

This was released this morning at my local bottle shop. It was released at eleven am, I was the eleventh person in line, the beer is eleven percent abv, and it was gone in eleven minutes.... crazy.

A- Pliny the Younger pour a glowing deep yellow with practically no head at all, which is okay for me.

S- As I take a big whiff I smell loads of pine all the way. There's also a big burst of citrus as well, just as I expected.

T- Crazy amount of hop bitterness to start. More piny notes continue to come through with lots and lots of grapefruit citrus notes as well.

M- It's actually a bit light bodied than I expected. Very medium bodied with a bit of tingly carbonation. It leaves a very interesting alcohol coating as I swallow. A bit hard to describe but still incredible.

O- Very glad I got to try this. Absolutely incredible! Very complex, super hoppy and all around goodness. I don't think it's overrated, I don't think it's underrated. I think it's spot on!

Serving type- On tap poured into a 10oz snifter. Thanks for reading.

Doc_Hops, Mar 11, 2013

rolltide8425, Mar 10, 2013

jonnyb79, Mar 10, 2013

BeezNeezy22D, Mar 10, 2013
4.69/5  rDev 0%

8oz pour at the Hulmeville Inn.

Appearance
Pale gold with hardly any head. Excellent clarity with very low carbonation.

Nose
Pineapple, pine, mango and honey.

Taste
Pineapple, pine resin, mango, candied orange and lemon. Caramel, honey and pale candy sugars. Resinous pine, lemon zest and tangerine in the finish.

Mouthfeel
Medium-full bodied, oily and smooth.

Overall
Yeah...it kind of lives up to its reputation.

justintcoons, Mar 10, 2013
4.49/5  rDev -4.3%

At the bar on my phone so won't make this too long

Pliny has this great dank aroma subtle fruitiness some mango, a little catiness. The thing I love about a lot of rr beers is they all fo.ish dry. The hop bit number the middle of the tongue a bit. Great clarity. A bit malty but definitely need ING with this beer beer. Wasn't sure what too expect. Though I would not wait in line for a taste I would seek out. Glad I had it in 10 oz Serving.

t8s8l8, Mar 10, 2013