Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,072
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is our last beer from Russian River. This is also the highest rated on BeerAdvocate. We need to take a trip to the Russian River Valley so we can visit the brewery. Their beers are made in pretty small batches, and they don't get great distribution. I landed this, and all of the other beers from them, in a trade. Speaking of trades, I just bought 14 bottles/cans tonight for a massive trade I am doing with Ashley Bower. REALLY looking forward to that one. She is sending us a bottle of Mexican Cake. It's not on the list, but I am pumped to try it.

It was cool learning about the owners of Russian River Brewing Company and their love for Pinot Noir wine. I like Pinot Noir, too. This beer was aged for a year in Pinot Noir barrels. I am fickle when it comes to barrel aged beers, but I have some pretty big expectations for this one. I bet this is sour, too. I could smell this as I was pouring it… and it smells quite sour. I am going to stop talking… let's drink!

In the Glass: This is quite carbonated, and it was producing a ton of bubbles and a nice thick white head as I was pouring it. I could smell, as I was pouring it, the subtle sourness that I am looking forward to. The head just sits there and while the beer doesn't have much lace, the head makes me want to grab a spoon and start eating! I hope this beer smells good.

Oh, the beer has a nice amber color to it. I am sure some of that color comes from the Pinot Noir barrels. It says on the bottle that this is aged 9 to 15 months. I wonder how they decide how long to age a particular beer like this.

Nose: It doesn't smell as sour as I expected it to. I am getting some of those tannins that you get when smelling a well balanced Pinot Noir. In the back of my mind I want this to taste more like a glass of wine than a beer. The bubbles, however, leave me to think I am going to have an experience as if I was drinking champagne. A second sniff has me smelling more fruit and I am sure it reads weird, but it smells expensive. Is that weird?

Flavor: The beer is not as carbonated as I expected it to be, but it is quite sour. Good thing I like sour beers. There is a lot going on here with the flavor and it really changes as it slides across your palate. There are some bubbles when it first hits your lips, and then it begins to really open up as you swallow. There is a ton of flavor in the aftertaste, too, leaving this beer a wide range of awesome! The sour quickly fades leaving you a hint of those tannin that I keep talking about.

Mouthfeel: There are a ton of bubbles at first, but it's not overwhelming. I wouldn't recommend swishing this around in your mouth much. I did that on my second sip, and the sour flavor really comes through. But the bubbles become overwhelming. If you don't like sour beers, stay away. As you swallow, the beer mellows out and you are left with a nice thin layer of sweetness every time you swallow. This beer is well produced and that is obvious every step of the way.

Aftertaste: That is my favorite part of this beer. As soon as you swallow you are hit with some subtle dryness that just coats your tongue with flavor. I have been sitting on this last sip for a good 5 minutes and I feel/taste like I just took a sip. I don't know the process of aging a beer in a wine barrel, but there has got to be some trial and error to realize the beer is ready after 9 months or not quite ready until it hits 15 months.

Speaking of barrel aged beers, the last time we tried Sirius Black, a killer beer from Four Peaks Brewing Company, I talked with someone from the brewery. He said the batch we were trying, at a tap takeover at Hops On Birch, had been aged for 12 months in a barrel. I am not sure I could be that patient pouring a beer as good as Sirius Black into a barrel just to wait a year! That is what makes cellering beer so tough.

We can't get Russian River beers here, but if we could I would be broke. This, along with all the other "-ation" beers we have tried/reviewed, is great. The more sour the better. Cheers, people!

07-03-2013 04:44:42 | More by rickyleepotts
ckeegan04

07-28-2014 19:51:06 | More by ckeegan04
KG710

Georgia

07-28-2014 17:19:49 | More by KG710
bbarclay

4.91/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into a tulip glass from the tap at Russian River Brewery.

Medium brown/red.

Very little head, leaving behind small lace ring.

Nose is sour with a touch of sweet, there are cherries and blackberries with notes of oak.

Tastes of cherries, sour blackberries, oak, and wildflowers.

Light yet sharp mouthfeel, lots of acidity.

This beer boarders on perfection. Enjoy it.

07-28-2014 15:32:52 | More by bbarclay

Tennessee

07-26-2014 21:53:03 | More by Mscarpen
ONUMello

4.76/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml bottle dated 1/7/14 poured into a tulip
A: Medium brown with a slight reddish tint; its head starts out at one-finger, settles to 1/2 finger then lingers at that level
S: Intoxicating with sour cherries, a hint of vinegar, subtle wine/oak notes, and a mix of fresh herbs
T: Can't get better. Sour cherries, cranberries, some barnyard frunk, grass, subtle oak and a very long finish
M: Surprisingly light with pleasant carbonation; quite acidic
O: I don't think I've ever taken smaller sips of a beer trying to savor every last bit. This is fantastic in its complexity and also very refreshing. Wonderful beer

07-26-2014 16:06:47 | More by ONUMello