1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,943 | Reviews: 1,278 | Show All Ratings:
eclectic

375ml bottle marked batch 001

Cork comes off with a pop, releasing a sour flemish like aroma. Pours an enticing burnt amber/cherry color with a tiny head that quickly vanishes leaving minimal lacing. Musty, funky aroma of cherry and oak... Mildly sweet acidic flavor that quickly transforms into a lambic like tartness.

As if they took some of the best qualities of my favorite krieks, guezes, and sour flemish ales and blended them into one with a dash of complexity and smoothness that makes this go down incredibly easy.

A shame the bottle is so small, as this is extremely enjoyable... wish I had more than half a bottle to taste, but glad niftypat shared it with me.. definetly need to find some more bottles of this

07-04-2005 19:27:06 | More by eclectic
sublimesipping

I was sunday schooled today @ Tria in Philly. Can you believe it this was the beer offering- bottles at cost, and people drinking this as common as yuengling or ___! Now this place is a beer as well as wine and cheese counesouers trifecta- but come on! Amazing offering of an amazing beer. I 've had Pliny the elder and Dammnation and have enjoyed those- but I have to honestly say, and I've drunk enough beer and reviewed a scant number here(though generally only those that really stand out)- this may have been the best I've had yet.
Color- a honied amber- beautiful. Creamy subtle head poured silkily into a a tapered wine glass...
Aroma- of port and cherries and an aluring sweetness
First tast-incredible balanced depth. good warming alchohol and cherries- di I say cherries- wonderful nuancied cherries, but better than any Kriek- Rodenbach/New Glarus souped up wth La Fin du Monde. Wonderful, wonderful special occasion beer. Paired well with the French terriorfamhouse cheese and gargonzola/fig brushetta...
There has been much love, sweat, detail, patence, and time put forth into this brew. This is truly exceptional offering from what I am experiencing to be atrul exceptional, creative daring brewery. TRY IT and SAVOR! Wonderful!!

08-22-2005 01:51:45 | More by sublimesipping
BeerBelcher

This beer is, in a word, divine. If you believe sour is at the top of the beer-flavor hierarchy, as I do, than this beer is for you. If you don't believe this, well chances are this beer is still for you. It offers a rich amber color, abundant head, delicious aroma, and even better taste. Aroma is citrus-y, sour, candy-sweet, yet somehow (despite what I've already said) balanced and distinctly beer-like. Flavor is distinctly sour, although I've certainly had beers sourer. It has a musty, sweet-tart, clove, complex and delicious. Mouthfeel is excellent.

This is not a beer that is not easy for most of us to get our hands on. However, if you've not had it, you should travel, trade, or attend a festival to get it.

05-17-2008 19:43:25 | More by BeerBelcher
mhewes

Colorado

A : Pours a nice murky brown with a decent head. Leaves some nice lacing

S : The Brett aroma is definitely prevelant. There are also notes of cherry and oak

T : There's an excellent tartness throughout the taste. The cherries and oak make a good appearance. The wine like flavors from the Pinot Noir barrels make a nice subtle appearance towards the end.

M : Light to medium bodied, good carbonation, and a nice dry finish

D : Why did I just get one bottle of this? This is an awesome beer that I want to have again and again. This is one beer that I can't find any faults with and have no idea how you would even improve it.

09-17-2008 14:33:58 | More by mhewes
BlackHoleBrew42

Colorado

Thank the lord Jebus...

On Tap at Falling Rock in Denver. Been waiting to try this one, and it did not dissapoint. Little head, gives way to a nice ruby color, smelling of hay and fruit. Mouthfeel is amazing, acidity is there and cuts into it, but you really get a nice dose of the cherry. The cherry element reminds me of New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red, but the sourness creates its own unique world. What a beer, I would gladly drink this all day and all night. Thank you, Mr. Cilurzo. Thank you.

02-15-2010 08:37:17 | More by BlackHoleBrew42
berpwillie

the smell of this beer alone is enough to give you a pleasant high, or atleast it is for me. Redish-orange color, with little to no head in the pour, but lots and lots of carbonation. It Seemed as though the beer must've had a thousand different flavors it was so delicious. The main flavor that stuck out to me had a sour citrus feel that just burst in your mouth. i can only imagine the type of alcoholic i would become if this beer was readily available to me.Basically this beer taste like heaven. if you haven't tried i would suggest you do so asap.

03-31-2010 12:43:12 | More by berpwillie
sweemzander

375mL corked and caged bottle split and poured into a tulip. Batch #4. Huge thanks to beerwolf77 for sharing this one!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange-ish mahogany color that produced a good fluffy eggshell colored head that stuck around for a awhile. Left some lacing behind as it dissipated, but really never completely. Still had some foam with the last few sips.

(S)- Crisp, yet tart smelling dark fruits with a lively dry oak and funk. Not necessarily a strong barnyard funk, but a dry yeasty/hay/straw/earthy profile to it. Goes so great with the oak spiciness and fruits.

(T)- Pretty much just like the smell. Awesome tart fruits with a spicy dry oak and earthy background. Has just the right amount of sour/tartness with the dry oak and funk. A brilliant and harmonious balance and taste.

(M)- A lively carbonation level that dances on the tongue. Expertly balanced with just the right amount of sour/tart fruit, dry oak, and funk. Awesome stuff that really is a party in the mouth.

(D)- A wonderful wild. What I love about it is how balanced and harmonious it is; not one character overpowers the other, but together, just creates an awesome beer. I did not want my glass to end.

06-14-2010 12:59:09 | More by sweemzander
BigMike

Batch # 04x2

strawberry reddish in color lots of floaties and tons of effervesence. White fluffy 2 finger head with very small tight bubbles. Very nice looking beer.
I definity get the wine barrel characteristics. Lots of oak,sour cherries and a touch of vinegar with some funk and some floral.
Right away I get the tart cherries. Very acidic but balanced with a ton of depth for being so sour.
Nice tangy acidic mouthfeel. Smooth light bodied and so very easy to drink
no doubt about it. This is one of the best beers I've ever crossed paths with. Simply amazing!

*From notes taken on 8/4/10

08-22-2010 01:12:22 | More by BigMike
wrightro07

A: It is a dark cherry red with brown undertones
S: very tart with cherry aroma
T: The taste of this beer is phenomenal. To try and describe this beers taste would be a welcomed sour tart cherry flavor with a brett backbone.
M: The mouthfeel is very bubbly with natural carbonation. I love this type of carbonation because of the finest the carbonation takes on.
D: I could drink this beer all day. I really enjoyed this beer but the main issue is the price. I know that price is not part of drinkability so I did not mark down my rating in this category, but it is an extremely expensive beer and due to that fact I feel it is a great beer to try here and there but not something I would really go after again.

01-31-2011 02:57:49 | More by wrightro07
aglose45

Batch 004x1 from the bottle on Easter.

A: Pours a beautiful dark golden brown, with a ruby hue. The head sticks around a very long time, and leaves sticky lacing on the walls of the glass.

S: Funk leads the charge, followed by a potent tart cherry. There is sone band-aid in the middle. Sweet cherries wrap up the nose.

T: There isn't as my funk as the nose suggests, it's more acidic. Dark fruits dominate tour mid-palate, mostly cherries and plums, before giving way to some funk at the end.

M: Prickly carbonation assists the various flavors. Medium bodied.

D: After having Batch 005 on tap yesterday, I'd say the fresher this beer, the better. When the beer is fresh, the fruit flavors or more vibrant, but the sourness and funkiness levels are a little less abrasive. This beer is delicious at any age, but out of the three batches I've had, I'd rank them in the following order (best to worst): 003, 005, 004

04-24-2011 19:31:32 | More by aglose45
amcmaho1

New Mexico

As much as i don't like to have superlative reviews, this beer definitely warrants one. Thanks again JCDenver for getting me this beer!!

Served chilled into Bruery tulip
Batch 6

*reviewed from memory of last night's impromptu sour tasting

Appearance: Earthy crimson color, with some definite influence from the barrel for color, and lots of ruby from the cherries. Awesome off-white head sticks around a while, and slowly recedes and leaves some pretty nice lacing. This beer certainly has a very "classic" appearance, for lack of a better word, and is a sexy beer to sit an look at.

Smell: Right off the bat, the cherries come through the nose very strongly, as does the oak. The beer is definitely holding some really vinous-pinot notes on the nose, along with some relatively tame "funk." The "funk" comes through to me, as a sort of clean earthiness, which compliments the cherry so well.

Taste: The cherries are definitely holding their own still! Nice and tart, leading into a more focused sourness which is accompanied by the oak. There are hints of a vanilla quality on the finish, which accompanied with the dryness, make for a really enjoyable sour experience. Makes me sad I only had one bottle of this, and a 12 oz. bottle at that...

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, while being a tad bit on the sticky side; which is very welcomed here. Very nice carbonation, and all the characteristics of sours working together to make this beer extremely enjoyable.

Overall: Simply amazing!! I had wanted to try this beer for a very long time, and upon finally getting the chance, i was worried i would have built it up too much in my expectations. Certainly not the case though, this is a stellar beer. I love the complexity that this beer holds, and i love knowing how much time and effort went into making it. I will without a doubt be getting this again in the near future...

05-08-2011 16:14:52 | More by amcmaho1
sdderek

From notes:
On tap 10+ times, bottles a few times.

My favorite sour. Aroma is filled with cherries and apples. Taste is the perfect balance of tartness and sweetness. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a sour. But it's not over the top sour. It's basically the most balanced sour I've ever tasted. This is only one of a few sours that I would completely feel comfortable (and excited) about drinking pint after pint. Seriously, I would drink multiple pints of this in a row! I love this beer!

06-01-2011 04:37:59 | More by sdderek
BARFLYB

Batch #3 poured into my St. Bernardus wide mouth. Got this through brotherliam, thanks again. Have not had this since the last shipment to philly. Review 400/1118 or so.

A- A nice burst from the cork pop, no foaming. Suppy's base beer is a brown ale but the look is more of a deep red with bright orange, faint bubbles rising. Cant see through the liquid. Some bubbles form islands of foam on the surface, nothing major, no lace either. This beer looks delicious.

S- This is one great smelling beer, very inviting. The sour cherries are very noticable, telling me they have not faded completely. Funk and some wild yeast strains giving off those strange scents I've come to love. The oak in this is quite possibly my favorite aspect of the nose.

T- At first Im hit with funk and sour cherries. I like supplication fresh as the cherries is what drew me to this in the 1st place. This bottle has some slight age on it. The cherries give off some tart while the 4 wild yeast strains do as well, brett and lacto being heavyhitters. Lemon and other fruits come in under the cherries The oak gives off wood while some wine characteristics step the taste up a few notches, this is tasty as F___. Not really getting any of the brown ale tastes but there is some malt towards the end.

M- This one is quite sour and tart. The puckering capabilities are up there, I can handle it though, this one is a sinch to drink. The body is somewherenear medium with perfect carbonation. I never have to worry about carb on a RR product, they are always dead on. Sup has a crispness to it and is just a lively all around beer.

D- Cant wait for these to come in 750ml bottles, 375 just does not seem like enough, but I do love the small bottles as well. With that said I could and would drink this all night until my stomach could not handle it anymore. It's great cold and just opens up with time. This would go great with some fine cheese, the perfect match. This is one of my favorite beers ever.

Batch 4(About two years old) into my Russian River Tulip.

This beer continues to impress me and it is my favorite. Some time in the bottle really does magic to this. Another pop from the cork, suppy is a brownish red with some orange up towards the light. A cream colored shell of foam stays on top throughout with nice sheets that stick. Smell is straight out lacto with sour cherry at this point. Pungent with leather and I guess you can say malt from the base. A bretty sting with some warming. The cherry has not left, it only got more aggressive. Taste is just oh my god, I love this beer. Cherry flavor with sourness that knocks socks off. I gotta say, Sup does wonders in the bottle if you have a good batch of it and give it some time in a OK enviornment. Sometimes, warm is your friend. Lacto soaked cherry with pedio/sach/brett in that order, no fooling. Supp Vs Sanct, you can tell the difference, especially in the newer Sanct versions with all brett, lacto shines here. Im babbling. All I can say is lay these suckers down if you got em, they will sour till your hearts delight, much more than the batch 4 Temptation which I think is dwindling. I love it.

06-23-2011 08:17:16 | More by BARFLYB
FARGO619

A Reddish color. Had this for Fathers day. A little treat for myself. Lots of carbonation and lively bubbles meet the glass.

S-cherries, sour, brett, funk, wine barrel, oak. Tons of nose in this beer. Opens up when it warms. This is a bang of a beer and it just jumps at you with beautification.

T I had this stored at about 55 degrees so it was cool enough to drink and enjoy from the beginning. It got a little sweeter as it warmed up too. The beer has a lot of depth of flavor. At first the beer is really tight, but gets more open as time goes on.

m-Sour candy with a kick. Has a lot of good feel, lingers on for a while.

O When can you say you had fun drinking a beer? I can, and do all the time. It is rare that I drink alone, but it was a good time to chill and watch a good movie. Great times.

06-24-2011 14:07:57 | More by FARGO619
DaveMarner

New Mexico

A - Redish with a perfect off white head.

S - Funk and sour cherry right away.

T - Yes! Sour cherry, oak and pure funk. This is perfect.

M - Crisp and a great medium carbonation.

O - This is my new favorite beer. Very Drinkable. Great for a hot summer day while sitting on the back porch or anytime actually.

07-19-2011 04:35:54 | More by DaveMarner
dannyancient

Served in a tulip.

Pours an orangish amber color, with a white head that dissipates rather quickly. No real lacing, but it leaves a nice white ring of bubble around the edges.

Smells of oak and fresh cherries, with a crisp champagne-like nose.

The taste is of cherries and tartness, and there is a nice caramel malt backbone that plays very nicely off of the sourness. Nice oak character ties everything together for a really stellar experience. The mouth feel is very smooth, with nice carbonation

This beer is truly incredible and is a pleasure to drink

08-20-2011 05:42:51 | More by dannyancient
funkyaudio

"Batch 006X2. Corked popped off with force. Pours a nice ruby color with a moderate white head. Aroma of sweet and tart cherries with great vanilla cream. Although this one has a much more subtle aroma, I really like the vanilla and wine grape. The beer is a very mouth puckering, medium bodied and well carbonated delight. Well balanced. Not too sweet or dry, with a lingering fruit finish. Very nice. I wish I could get ahold of more Russian River beers."

09-14-2011 13:18:43 | More by funkyaudio
aggiearcher13

Batch 005x1.

A: Pours a beautiful hazy orange. A light stone head that's big and frothy before receding to a thin layer with a ring of creamy foam hanging around the edge. Excellent lacing, just a beautiful brew.

S: Tart, apricot and cherry. It smells spritzy, if something can smell spritzy. Malty, almost biscuity, and that funky brett of course. Cherry definitely comes out more as it warms.

T: Bam, funky tartness and dark cherry. A little sweet, malty, and woody. Finishes quite dry and clean.

M: Very smooth, very full, I have not complaints on this one. Easily the best body on a sour I've ever had.

O: Wow, I'm just dumbstruck with how good this is. It's as close to perfect as I've had.

09-21-2011 01:12:55 | More by aggiearcher13
heelsn02

Batch 005X1. Major thanks to ipa247 for sending this my way.

SO excited to drink this... tried it on draught at RR about 2 years ago, which seems like forever ago.

12.68 fl. oz. bottle poured into my newly acquired catawba valley brewing Co. snifter.

Picking up the nose 2 feet away, straight from the pour. Almost looks like a bourbon color to me (probably b/c i've been pouring some Buffalo Trace lately :) amber/deep orange color. Very cloudy and very bubbly. 2 fingers worth of eggshell head. Awesome looking beer.

Crazy unique smell. Smells wonderfully fruity fresh, flowery wild yeast. Crisp, clean, earthy aromas. Most complex beer I've ever smelled and it's not even close. Very tart... a bit boozey, but not overwhelming. Dirty brett barnyard funkiness. just heavenly.

Taste is very tart, very sour. absolutely incredible. Lots of tart cherry flavors coming thru. GREAT stuff. Pucker power for sure. Some pineapple/strawberries coming thru too. No oaky/woody barrel tones at all, not at all like a lambic either. Can taste some pinot noir characteristics - my favorite wine too. I just LOVE it. Absolutely phenomenal. Super complex stuff here. almost like liquid sweet tarts. I could drink this all night long.

Pretty dry, wine-like finish, very carbonated.

Really wish I had another one of these in the fridge. The best sour beer I’ve ever had, might be the best beer I've ever had too. RR rules. thanks again Jeff.

02-13-2012 21:40:14 | More by heelsn02
GJ40

I had this on tap at the brewpub. This may just be my favorite RR sour. It's got a big sour bite but a rich flavor that goes beyond that. The fruity and woody notes help make every sip as interesting as the last. I just can't get enough of this one.

04-20-2012 13:28:06 | More by GJ40
Seanniek91

Rhode Island

Shared with RoninTK3. Served from a 12oz bottle poured into a Krombacher Pils glass.

Appearance- Amber/red with short head that faded into beautiful lacing.

Smell- Lemon, vinegar, vanilla/oaky, very very very mild cherry. Light bready yeast.

Taste- Very tart. Lemon, mild cherry, lemon rind.

Mouthfeel- Quite carbonated. Very smooth. Salivating.

Overall- This is incredible. Glad I have another bottle!

12-28-2012 00:20:17 | More by Seanniek91
BrianJohnson

South Carolina

This beer is absolutely amazing. The smell reminded me of some very good wines I've had. I can't say I've every smelled a beer that had that familiar a smell of a really good wine. Even my wife, who is much more a vinophile than I am, smelled it, she was impressed. Combine that with a phenomenal sour ale, and you've got a sure winner. Absolutely phenomenal, perfect beer. If I could find a stock of this, I'd buy everything they had.

06-08-2013 18:27:06 | More by BrianJohnson
MNRealtor

This is one of my all time favorite beers. The last time I got to enjoy this beauty was while visiting the Stone brewery. There were so many amazing choices, but i could not pass up this one while sitting out on the Stone patio. I'm kicking myself that I did not bring any home with me to MN.

10-21-2013 16:32:34 | More by MNRealtor
NickBiller

This is my favorite RRB and beer in general. It has opened my eyes to the potential of sour beers. The cherry flavor is exquisite.

Note: This beer is extremely sour. Don't expect to chug this or even think about ordering this without time to slowly drink and enjoy. Even though I love this, I cannot make myself drink this fast. The sourness is so extreme that it takes some time to adjust to. It is kind of like getting hit in the head with a heavy object.

But the sour cherry flavor makes it my favorite beer by far. I live near RRB and probably drink one 375ML bottle of this beer every week. I don't even care that it costs ~$13. It is worth it.

02-04-2014 06:05:19 | More by NickBiller
pkalix

4.99/5  rDev +9.4%

$14 for a 12oz bottle of beer....
pours exactly as the last guy stated...."hazy amber, thin head, minimal lacing"... exactly....
smell is awesome. sour cherry. i really like the sours; love the belgian petrus. this one has the twist of the cherries...
really like the sour taste. but it isnt a 'sipper' as far as i'm concerned. i prefer a full gulp to slosh around inside my mouth and let all my taste buds enjoy.... it is a cherry flavor, and there are other 'berry' flavors seemingly in there and i can definitely drink these continually throughout the evening... but once you get the 'sour' you kind of need to continue with the sour as it throws the flavor off everything else... which is the best reason of all to pop that petrus i've been saving for the last six months....
there's a tingly kind of small-bubble carbonation and overall i really really like this brew. i dont want to abuse the 'straight 5' review and i dont want to be intimidated by the super high price i had to pay to try this brew, but i honestly feel it is worthy of 5s across the panel. for me, as much as i absolutely LOVE the sour beers, this one is a complete winner and as close to nirvana as i plan to ever get; thus, the marks.

04-22-2013 23:53:45 | More by pkalix