Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,591
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,379 | Hads: 5,720

Nose: sour, cherries, suggestion of wine, faint malt.
Pours: brilliant garnet tinted amber – almost a brandy color, under a stiff finely bubbled off-white foam cap with a faint pink tint.
Palate: Cherry, lemon, light funk, tart. The cherries are excellently done and are well balanced by the tartness and the rich malt flavors cavorting in the background. As the beer warms slightly more elegance emerges as the pinot noir flavors emerge and mingle with the malt. Long lingering tart cherry flavors dominate the aftertaste.
Medium body and medium to above on the carbonation.

A - Redish with a perfect off white head.

S - Funk and sour cherry right away.

T - Yes! Sour cherry, oak and pure funk. This is perfect.

M - Crisp and a great medium carbonation.

O - This is my new favorite beer. Very Drinkable. Great for a hot summer day while sitting on the back porch or anytime actually.

This is one of my all time favorite beers. The last time I got to enjoy this beauty was while visiting the Stone brewery. There were so many amazing choices, but i could not pass up this one while sitting out on the Stone patio. I'm kicking myself that I did not bring any home with me to MN.

This is my favorite RRB and beer in general. It has opened my eyes to the potential of sour beers. The cherry flavor is exquisite.

Note: This beer is extremely sour. Don't expect to chug this or even think about ordering this without time to slowly drink and enjoy. Even though I love this, I cannot make myself drink this fast. The sourness is so extreme that it takes some time to adjust to. It is kind of like getting hit in the head with a heavy object.

But the sour cherry flavor makes it my favorite beer by far. I live near RRB and probably drink one 375ML bottle of this beer every week. I don't even care that it costs ~$13. It is worth it.

"Batch 006X2. Corked popped off with force. Pours a nice ruby color with a moderate white head. Aroma of sweet and tart cherries with great vanilla cream. Although this one has a much more subtle aroma, I really like the vanilla and wine grape. The beer is a very mouth puckering, medium bodied and well carbonated delight. Well balanced. Not too sweet or dry, with a lingering fruit finish. Very nice. I wish I could get ahold of more Russian River beers."

375mL corked and caged bottle split and poured into a tulip. Batch #4. Huge thanks to beerwolf77 for sharing this one!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange-ish mahogany color that produced a good fluffy eggshell colored head that stuck around for a awhile. Left some lacing behind as it dissipated, but really never completely. Still had some foam with the last few sips.

(S)- Crisp, yet tart smelling dark fruits with a lively dry oak and funk. Not necessarily a strong barnyard funk, but a dry yeasty/hay/straw/earthy profile to it. Goes so great with the oak spiciness and fruits.

(T)- Pretty much just like the smell. Awesome tart fruits with a spicy dry oak and earthy background. Has just the right amount of sour/tartness with the dry oak and funk. A brilliant and harmonious balance and taste.

(M)- A lively carbonation level that dances on the tongue. Expertly balanced with just the right amount of sour/tart fruit, dry oak, and funk. Awesome stuff that really is a party in the mouth.

(D)- A wonderful wild. What I love about it is how balanced and harmonious it is; not one character overpowers the other, but together, just creates an awesome beer. I did not want my glass to end.

Batch 005x1.

A: Pours a beautiful hazy orange. A light stone head that's big and frothy before receding to a thin layer with a ring of creamy foam hanging around the edge. Excellent lacing, just a beautiful brew.

S: Tart, apricot and cherry. It smells spritzy, if something can smell spritzy. Malty, almost biscuity, and that funky brett of course. Cherry definitely comes out more as it warms.

T: Bam, funky tartness and dark cherry. A little sweet, malty, and woody. Finishes quite dry and clean.

M: Very smooth, very full, I have not complaints on this one. Easily the best body on a sour I've ever had.

O: Wow, I'm just dumbstruck with how good this is. It's as close to perfect as I've had.

Had on Tap at RRBC last night.

Possibly my favorite sour ever. Very tart up front and the cherries really shine through. I'm not a big fan of Brett, but it's used perfectly here. Just the right amount of funk (not overpowering) to add to the cherry, pinot, sour from lacto and pedio, with just a hint of oak on the finish = amazing.

I just experienced all day happy hour at Russian River last Sunday. This was my first and last beer of the day. Great beer, sour, wine barrel, delicious. Great tartness, not overwhelming, not overly acidic. Amazing sour. Amazing brewery.

A: It is a dark cherry red with brown undertones
S: very tart with cherry aroma
T: The taste of this beer is phenomenal. To try and describe this beers taste would be a welcomed sour tart cherry flavor with a brett backbone.
M: The mouthfeel is very bubbly with natural carbonation. I love this type of carbonation because of the finest the carbonation takes on.
D: I could drink this beer all day. I really enjoyed this beer but the main issue is the price. I know that price is not part of drinkability so I did not mark down my rating in this category, but it is an extremely expensive beer and due to that fact I feel it is a great beer to try here and there but not something I would really go after again.

375ml bottle marked batch 001

Cork comes off with a pop, releasing a sour flemish like aroma. Pours an enticing burnt amber/cherry color with a tiny head that quickly vanishes leaving minimal lacing. Musty, funky aroma of cherry and oak... Mildly sweet acidic flavor that quickly transforms into a lambic like tartness.

As if they took some of the best qualities of my favorite krieks, guezes, and sour flemish ales and blended them into one with a dash of complexity and smoothness that makes this go down incredibly easy.

A shame the bottle is so small, as this is extremely enjoyable... wish I had more than half a bottle to taste, but glad niftypat shared it with me.. definetly need to find some more bottles of this

Shared with RoninTK3. Served from a 12oz bottle poured into a Krombacher Pils glass.

Appearance- Amber/red with short head that faded into beautiful lacing.

Smell- Lemon, vinegar, vanilla/oaky, very very very mild cherry. Light bready yeast.

Taste- Very tart. Lemon, mild cherry, lemon rind.

Mouthfeel- Quite carbonated. Very smooth. Salivating.

Overall- This is incredible. Glad I have another bottle!

Batch 004x1 from the bottle on Easter.

A: Pours a beautiful dark golden brown, with a ruby hue. The head sticks around a very long time, and leaves sticky lacing on the walls of the glass.

S: Funk leads the charge, followed by a potent tart cherry. There is sone band-aid in the middle. Sweet cherries wrap up the nose.

T: There isn't as my funk as the nose suggests, it's more acidic. Dark fruits dominate tour mid-palate, mostly cherries and plums, before giving way to some funk at the end.

M: Prickly carbonation assists the various flavors. Medium bodied.

D: After having Batch 005 on tap yesterday, I'd say the fresher this beer, the better. When the beer is fresh, the fruit flavors or more vibrant, but the sourness and funkiness levels are a little less abrasive. This beer is delicious at any age, but out of the three batches I've had, I'd rank them in the following order (best to worst): 003, 005, 004

As much as i don't like to have superlative reviews, this beer definitely warrants one. Thanks again JCDenver for getting me this beer!!

Served chilled into Bruery tulip
Batch 6

*reviewed from memory of last night's impromptu sour tasting

Appearance: Earthy crimson color, with some definite influence from the barrel for color, and lots of ruby from the cherries. Awesome off-white head sticks around a while, and slowly recedes and leaves some pretty nice lacing. This beer certainly has a very "classic" appearance, for lack of a better word, and is a sexy beer to sit an look at.

Smell: Right off the bat, the cherries come through the nose very strongly, as does the oak. The beer is definitely holding some really vinous-pinot notes on the nose, along with some relatively tame "funk." The "funk" comes through to me, as a sort of clean earthiness, which compliments the cherry so well.

Taste: The cherries are definitely holding their own still! Nice and tart, leading into a more focused sourness which is accompanied by the oak. There are hints of a vanilla quality on the finish, which accompanied with the dryness, make for a really enjoyable sour experience. Makes me sad I only had one bottle of this, and a 12 oz. bottle at that...

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, while being a tad bit on the sticky side; which is very welcomed here. Very nice carbonation, and all the characteristics of sours working together to make this beer extremely enjoyable.

Overall: Simply amazing!! I had wanted to try this beer for a very long time, and upon finally getting the chance, i was worried i would have built it up too much in my expectations. Certainly not the case though, this is a stellar beer. I love the complexity that this beer holds, and i love knowing how much time and effort went into making it. I will without a doubt be getting this again in the near future...

the smell of this beer alone is enough to give you a pleasant high, or atleast it is for me. Redish-orange color, with little to no head in the pour, but lots and lots of carbonation. It Seemed as though the beer must've had a thousand different flavors it was so delicious. The main flavor that stuck out to me had a sour citrus feel that just burst in your mouth. i can only imagine the type of alcoholic i would become if this beer was readily available to me.Basically this beer taste like heaven. if you haven't tried i would suggest you do so asap.

I would have never thought in a thousand years when I began reviewing beers that my first perfect score would be a wild ale. I honestly hated the first few I tried. I have tried to think of any reason to knock this one down a notch but honestly I can't find anything wrong with it!

Appearance: Gorgeous copper red with some brown notes, a little hazy and a beautiful creamy head that just lies there throughout the drinking of this gem.

Aroma: Soft tart cherries, some brett notes, some earthy notes and a slight grape note from no doubt the Pinot barrels, but not overly potent, very nuanced this one. The layering of the aromas is truly magnificent.

Taste: First you get some mild tart notes, but not really sour, just balanced. The Pinot Noir is definitely detected in the flavors, oakey vinous notes dominate, a slight farmhouse note but very subtle, not one that hits you in a dominant way. This beer has a nice clean carbonation on the tongue but it is also very creamy to the mouthfeel. I really don't know how they do it!

Overall: As I said before this is a perfect beer in every way. I am truly surprised. I want more and hope I can obtain many more, I have to be able to share this one with friends, its too good to have all to myself! Thanks man for the trade, truly incredible experience!

Batch #3 poured into my St. Bernardus wide mouth. Got this through brotherliam, thanks again. Have not had this since the last shipment to philly. Review 400/1118 or so.

A- A nice burst from the cork pop, no foaming. Suppy's base beer is a brown ale but the look is more of a deep red with bright orange, faint bubbles rising. Cant see through the liquid. Some bubbles form islands of foam on the surface, nothing major, no lace either. This beer looks delicious.

S- This is one great smelling beer, very inviting. The sour cherries are very noticable, telling me they have not faded completely. Funk and some wild yeast strains giving off those strange scents I've come to love. The oak in this is quite possibly my favorite aspect of the nose.

T- At first Im hit with funk and sour cherries. I like supplication fresh as the cherries is what drew me to this in the 1st place. This bottle has some slight age on it. The cherries give off some tart while the 4 wild yeast strains do as well, brett and lacto being heavyhitters. Lemon and other fruits come in under the cherries The oak gives off wood while some wine characteristics step the taste up a few notches, this is tasty as F___. Not really getting any of the brown ale tastes but there is some malt towards the end.

M- This one is quite sour and tart. The puckering capabilities are up there, I can handle it though, this one is a sinch to drink. The body is somewherenear medium with perfect carbonation. I never have to worry about carb on a RR product, they are always dead on. Sup has a crispness to it and is just a lively all around beer.

D- Cant wait for these to come in 750ml bottles, 375 just does not seem like enough, but I do love the small bottles as well. With that said I could and would drink this all night until my stomach could not handle it anymore. It's great cold and just opens up with time. This would go great with some fine cheese, the perfect match. This is one of my favorite beers ever.

Batch 4(About two years old) into my Russian River Tulip.

This beer continues to impress me and it is my favorite. Some time in the bottle really does magic to this. Another pop from the cork, suppy is a brownish red with some orange up towards the light. A cream colored shell of foam stays on top throughout with nice sheets that stick. Smell is straight out lacto with sour cherry at this point. Pungent with leather and I guess you can say malt from the base. A bretty sting with some warming. The cherry has not left, it only got more aggressive. Taste is just oh my god, I love this beer. Cherry flavor with sourness that knocks socks off. I gotta say, Sup does wonders in the bottle if you have a good batch of it and give it some time in a OK enviornment. Sometimes, warm is your friend. Lacto soaked cherry with pedio/sach/brett in that order, no fooling. Supp Vs Sanct, you can tell the difference, especially in the newer Sanct versions with all brett, lacto shines here. Im babbling. All I can say is lay these suckers down if you got em, they will sour till your hearts delight, much more than the batch 4 Temptation which I think is dwindling. I love it.

Batch 005X1. Major thanks to ipa247 for sending this my way.

SO excited to drink this... tried it on draught at RR about 2 years ago, which seems like forever ago.

12.68 fl. oz. bottle poured into my newly acquired catawba valley brewing Co. snifter.

Picking up the nose 2 feet away, straight from the pour. Almost looks like a bourbon color to me (probably b/c i've been pouring some Buffalo Trace lately :) amber/deep orange color. Very cloudy and very bubbly. 2 fingers worth of eggshell head. Awesome looking beer.

Crazy unique smell. Smells wonderfully fruity fresh, flowery wild yeast. Crisp, clean, earthy aromas. Most complex beer I've ever smelled and it's not even close. Very tart... a bit boozey, but not overwhelming. Dirty brett barnyard funkiness. just heavenly.

Taste is very tart, very sour. absolutely incredible. Lots of tart cherry flavors coming thru. GREAT stuff. Pucker power for sure. Some pineapple/strawberries coming thru too. No oaky/woody barrel tones at all, not at all like a lambic either. Can taste some pinot noir characteristics - my favorite wine too. I just LOVE it. Absolutely phenomenal. Super complex stuff here. almost like liquid sweet tarts. I could drink this all night long.

Pretty dry, wine-like finish, very carbonated.

Really wish I had another one of these in the fridge. The best sour beer I’ve ever had, might be the best beer I've ever had too. RR rules. thanks again Jeff.

Thank the lord Jebus...

On Tap at Falling Rock in Denver. Been waiting to try this one, and it did not dissapoint. Little head, gives way to a nice ruby color, smelling of hay and fruit. Mouthfeel is amazing, acidity is there and cuts into it, but you really get a nice dose of the cherry. The cherry element reminds me of New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red, but the sourness creates its own unique world. What a beer, I would gladly drink this all day and all night. Thank you, Mr. Cilurzo. Thank you.

I had this on tap at the brewpub. This may just be my favorite RR sour. It's got a big sour bite but a rich flavor that goes beyond that. The fruity and woody notes help make every sip as interesting as the last. I just can't get enough of this one.

The nose on this is off the chain can't even begin to describe it. The taste is tart at first, and then a sour dark fruit takes over that leads to a finish of oak goodness. You can really taste the age on this. The pinot wine is their and the barrel shines. I guess this is why this is a world class beer you can actually taste the care that was taken in this beer.

From notes:
On tap 10+ times, bottles a few times.

My favorite sour. Aroma is filled with cherries and apples. Taste is the perfect balance of tartness and sweetness. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a sour. But it's not over the top sour. It's basically the most balanced sour I've ever tasted. This is only one of a few sours that I would completely feel comfortable (and excited) about drinking pint after pint. Seriously, I would drink multiple pints of this in a row! I love this beer!

Favorite beer in the world.

Tighter flavor profile than other sours - compare against Lost Abbey's Red Poppy and you're know what I mean.

Smell whiffs away stunningly, with a depth of taste and crispness. Strongly recommended on tap, which is rare but another level of effervesce and taste.

I was sunday schooled today @ Tria in Philly. Can you believe it this was the beer offering- bottles at cost, and people drinking this as common as yuengling or ___! Now this place is a beer as well as wine and cheese counesouers trifecta- but come on! Amazing offering of an amazing beer. I 've had Pliny the elder and Dammnation and have enjoyed those- but I have to honestly say, and I've drunk enough beer and reviewed a scant number here(though generally only those that really stand out)- this may have been the best I've had yet.
Color- a honied amber- beautiful. Creamy subtle head poured silkily into a a tapered wine glass...
Aroma- of port and cherries and an aluring sweetness
First tast-incredible balanced depth. good warming alchohol and cherries- di I say cherries- wonderful nuancied cherries, but better than any Kriek- Rodenbach/New Glarus souped up wth La Fin du Monde. Wonderful, wonderful special occasion beer. Paired well with the French terriorfamhouse cheese and gargonzola/fig brushetta...
There has been much love, sweat, detail, patence, and time put forth into this brew. This is truly exceptional offering from what I am experiencing to be atrul exceptional, creative daring brewery. TRY IT and SAVOR! Wonderful!!

Batch # 04x2

strawberry reddish in color lots of floaties and tons of effervesence. White fluffy 2 finger head with very small tight bubbles. Very nice looking beer.
I definity get the wine barrel characteristics. Lots of oak,sour cherries and a touch of vinegar with some funk and some floral.
Right away I get the tart cherries. Very acidic but balanced with a ton of depth for being so sour.
Nice tangy acidic mouthfeel. Smooth light bodied and so very easy to drink
no doubt about it. This is one of the best beers I've ever crossed paths with. Simply amazing!

*From notes taken on 8/4/10