Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,288
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros

Russian River Supplication Barrel Aged Sour

From the get go this beer is impressive. After popping the cork you see a beautiful deep amber cherry color, with a nice creamy pinkish-white head, and as the bubbles rise, the sediment cascades downward like a snowglobe.

On the nose I get the soft, yet complex smell of pinot as well as acidic cherry.

The first drink is sure to shock the palate a bit, however thereafter they are received much easier.

The taste is briefly a soft fruit flavor with lemon, followed by the tart punch from the brettanomyces in which you get several flavor profiles of bitter, acidic and sour cherry, and it then begins to fade abruptly into an impressively long and complex after taste that has a floral essence and leaves an oaky mouth feel that ties the whole thing together quick wonderfully.

Overall this was very great well crafted and enjoyable beer.
I guess if I were to find a negative it would be in the price, while I fully expect a barrel aged beer of this quality to cost a bit more, I still felt this was at least $2-$3 dollars over priced for such a small quantity.
But then again maybe not.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

2011 vintage, Batch #7 uncorked in Fall 2011.
375 mL bottle poured into snifter glass.

2012 vintage, batch unknown; tapped at Hollingshead Deli (Orange, CA) on 20-Feb-12
Poured into tulip glass.

Softer side of being sour w/ nice balance of acetone and sourness. Definitely pick up the cherries and the wine presence from the oak barrels.

Overall, this is the standard cherry/wine sour that I gauge all others of similar type. This one's nearly flawless.

Batch 3

375 ml. bottle

Appearence: Medium brown with decent head. Some light lacing.

Smell: Oak, brett funk, sourness, barnhouse, sour cherrys, dark fruits, wine

Taste: Tart/sour nose, slight oaky bitterness, wine, more dark fruits.

Mouthfeel: Good, medium-bodied mouthfeel, appropriate (high) carbonation.

Overall: 5/5 acceptional, tasty offering from Russian River.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Batch 04x03, enjoyed recently.

What a beer. It's nearly the perfect sour. Sour cherries and brett funk dominate the aroma. The taste is so complex. Sour cherries. Tartness. Sourness. Oak. Mouth watering. Red Sour Patch Kids, liquified. It was a real challenge for me to work through a bottle of Supplication. It is so good, but it made my mouth work too damn hard. Too much salivating and puckering. That can be taken as a tongue-in-cheek compliment, but it is also its only detracting quality. I can't sit and drink bottle after bottle of this. My mouth would. not. survive.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

One of my most favorite sours. Awesome flavor!

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Had two samples at SN beer camp philly

A-Pours a deep clear orange-amber with creamy bone-colored head and leaves some lacing.

S-Aroma is mostly funk, cherry, bretty, and little tart. When it gets warmer there are malty and wood aromas.

T-Flavor has an excellent very tart and fruity flaovr. Rather subtle effects from the pinot noir barrel aging, especially in terms of woodiness. Excellent lingering, midly tart aftertaste.

M-Mouthfeel gives a smooth, medium-light body with a good low carbonation. Finishes with near puckering tartness.

O-Overall a great beer had to get back in the long line to get another.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Not following regular format here:

FUNK, Pinot, dry grassiness, puckingly sour but not overly so. Acidic. I've had Beatification and I'm not sure it's better, just different. They are equally as good. One is just rarer than the other.

I've had a decent amount of Belgian examples of the style and this trumphs most but weird as it may be, I prefer this to most Krieks. Also, let it be known I've never had a Cantillon Beer so please take this fact into account...

Everything I look for in a sour with cherries added is right freaking here.

Dry, and semi grassy finish allows for this one to be more drinkabe than any other representation of the style I've had but that doesn't neccessarily mean best.

Near perfect beer. Well Done RRBC.

Tasted on 4/24/07
Appearance: Dark, burnt orange. Little to no head after the inital foaming from cork popping
Smell: Fantastic: Smelly sour with a lot of brett and a slight cherry note
Taste: Brilliant. Sour, sweet, cherry
Mouthfeel: Another great note. The sour brett does not take anything away from the mouthfeel.
Drinkability: Perfect. No other way to describe this beer. Absolutely phenomenal. I wish it didn't cost this much, but I understand.
Russian River is THE best brewery in America. Hands down. Vinnie truly is a beer genius. Can't wait to try other "tion" beers

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Goblet, batch 04XI Thanks ksullnh!

A: Gentle pour yields 1/4 finger of fizzy tan head with poor retention - I'd like more and better retention. Is that possible with sour beers? Clear light brown liquid with some red and amber highlights. Color is great, which brings my rating up from a 3.5 to a 4.0.
S: Citrus, lemon zest. Slight aspirin? Slight bread. So intriguing and inviting.
T: Delicious! Perfect tasting sour brown (which I thought it was!), sourness and sweetness mix perfectly, like lemonade almost. Slight whole wheat breadiness in the aftertaste. Some Atomic Warhead candy in aftertaste too. Apple cider, woody, grapeskin.
M: Expectorant, tart, dry
D: So nice. I'd definitely order another and will buy again when I can!

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Draft, at Monk’s cafe RR dinner 1/23/07. I presume this was batch 1.

Ruby colored, barely any head (sample was poured into my glass from a pitcher).

Beautiful funky sour aroma, with cherries fairly evident. I could smell this beer all day.

Tart cherrry flavor. Notes of oak and red wine. Complex yet refreshing. Finishes dry.

Delicious beer; I’d love to have a few cases in my cellar. Matched beautifully with an apple glazed duck breast.

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Huge thanks to arbitrator for sending this one my way.

Bottle split and poured into my tulip the beer is a murky amber orange. A tiny wisp of head attempts to form but fails leaving soapy spots around the glass.

The aroma starts with a heavy dose of yeasty sour funk. Tart cherries and granny smith apples along with a solid wet wood and straw mix. No wet dog or horse blanket just fruity sour funk.

The flavor is super pleasant sour cherries and grapes. Not all up in your face funky but just enough to make you mouth pucker. Light tones of wood and bready yeast sneak in there to add to the complexity of this beers flavor.

Medium to light wine like body with plenty of carbonation.

Overall I wish I had a 375ml to myself. Who am I kidding I wish it was a growler. A perfect balance of sour and sweet to keep you wanting another sip. A simply spectacular beer.

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

I got this bottle of batch 00s thanks to a trade with Tayner. Thanks Dana!

It pours a hazy peach colour with a 1" head of foam.There's some good lacing and foam is shrinking but looks like some of it will be around at the end of the session. Ok, the foam did leave the scene entirely but, what the hell..

The smell is just what I like to find in American Wild Ales...huge sour notes from cherries and lemons. Also a big yeasty profile with some vanilla and oak. Super nice nose.

The taste is as good if not better than the nose. Wow. Big oaky and yeasty notes with some yeasty tones and big fruity tartness from lemons, apricots, and cherries. There's also an underlying sweetness coming from vanilla. And did I mention the funk? No? My bad. The Brett is definitely present here working its magic, intertwining with all the other luscious flavours. and bringing real justice to the style.

Marvelous, simply marvelous. The mouthfeel is medium, the carbonation is brisk but fits this ale so well, and it finishes with that sour cherry tartness that just demands that I take another sip tout suite. Eminantly drinkable for me, to say the least.

This is a world class brew in my book and thanks go out again to Dana for sending this my way!

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from a 375 mL bottle into a tulip. Batch 04X3, caged and corked bottle.

Appearance: Supplication pours a deep ruby color, mostly transparent except for the yeast particles floating around. A dollop of beige foam rests on top and laces up the glass nicely.

Smell: A great balance of sour and funky. There is so much going on here. A bit of dark malt, lots of cherries, some lemon, and a nice level of funk, horse blanket and a little stinky cheese.

Taste: The brief sweetness is accompanied by tart cherries, and the flavor grows even more sour as the sip progresses. Tart, more acetic than lactic, and vinegary, totally bold without killing my palate. Each sip waters the mouth just enough to make me want to go back for more. Notes of pinot noir come in toward the end, as if this beer needed any more complexity, along with some spicy oak tannins. The finish has a nice funk to it, giving me an extra smile.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation starts with a bite but is smooth throughout each sip. A sour puckering sensation causes me to salivate without being overpowering. Lightly vinegary and acidic. A light astringency comes with the barrel but is barely noticeable. The body is on the lighter side of medium. Russian River knows my sour sweet spot.

Overall: I cannot believe it has taken me this long to try my first Supplication. This is everything I want in a sour, I will be coming back to this beer again and again.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

On tap at Monk's Mad Monday event..

A - Red pour with visible carbonation. Thin head that settles fast. No lacing. Clear hue. Really perfect for the style.

S - Sour cherries, vanilla, and oak hit the nose. You can really smell the pinot noir coming through this beer as it absorbed the wine notes.

T - Rich cherry flavor that ends with a tart finish. The wild yeast gives it a nice blend of funk. The aging allows some reserved oaken pulp in the finish as well. Some vanilla bean balances this out with a little sweetness.

M - One of the easiest drinking sour beers I've ever come across. Scratch that, it is. just a perfect balance of sweet to tart notes.

O - I am not an expert on this style but I don't know how this could be better. This is why RR is on that elite level. And this is why American craft can accomplish anything when craftsmen brew this quality of beer. Just a wow moment drinking this one.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

A- Brown with a deep reddish hue. Poured with about a two inch head, settles nicely into about a quarter inch head that is quite fluffy. Great head retention. Also quite a bit of lacing on the glass. Quite carbonated when it is poured. Even after a few minutes, can see bubbles traveling up the glass.

Right off the bat, can tell this is a special beer.

S- Smells of cherries with other fruity smells in there. I honestly don't have the greatest sense of smell, however, first smells of cherries, with sharp citrus scents in there as well, with just a hint of an oaky aroma.

T- Tastes mostly of cherries with just a hint of oak. Nice laid back funk to it. A little sour bite to it, however, does not make you pucker. Extremely balanced; almost difficult to discern flavors because everything blends so well....this is definitely a good thing

M- medium mouthfeel; not extremely thick, but not thin by any means. Beer almost sticks to the inside of the mouth and finishes medium dry.

O- One of the best beers I've ever had. For some reason, I expected this to be more challenging to drink, however, compared to other sours this was not extremely sour or extremely funky. The real magic in this beer for me was how all of the flavors of fruit, funk, sour, and oak blended together.

For a sour, drinkability was off the charts. If I had brought back more from Colorado, I would definitely be drinking multiple bottles.

I brought back three of these from Colorado, and now I am really regretting not bringing back more...

4.88/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow I'm excited.

Thanks to Jake_ramrod for the share.

A. Bright amber. Translucent. Poured minimal head that retreats to a fine rim.

S. Tart. Sour fruits of cherries, apples, grapes, and persimmon. Sour bacteria. Neutral oak. Clean and crisp.

T. Super tart. Follows the nose with sour fruit, light malts, sour yeast, and bretts.

M. Crisp and clean. Extremely smooth to the 3rd degree. Low carbonation. Light body.

O. This lives up to the hype. I would go to great lengths for this again. It's way sour but in an excellent way. Super clean. One of the best sours brewed in the U.S.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Batch 006X2. Long time fan of Supplication, first time reviewing it.

A - beautiful red dark amberish hue. Not exactly clear, but close enough for the style

S - funk, tart aroma with a little sour cherry and lemon.

T - Wow! The tart, sour, mouth Pickering lactic acid is a kick in the pallet! Awesome beer. The oak, cherry, sour balance is unbelievable. It finishes with a lingering lemony lactic taste, with a very very slight vinegar/acetic touch. Fantastic! The Pinot noir barrel adds a bit of depth that really comes out as it warms.

M - sparkling carbonation on the tongue. Medium body, crisp from start to finish.

O - Outstanding beer!!! I could honestly drink this everyday! It's tart/sour enough, but displays the beautiful notes that fruit and Pinot noir can add to this style. Beautifully sour, but drinkable beyond belief. I'd recommend this beer as the best 'American Wild' that i've tried.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

375ml bottle, batch 04x1, poured into a Bruery tulip glass at around 45-50 degrees. This is a bit over a year old at this point, I've been saving it a while to see how it has changed.

Pours a rich mahogony with a very light tan tinged head. Miniscule carbonation rises from the bottom, keeping afloat the one finger width of very fine froth on top. Fantastic clarity, excellent retention, and crazy lacing. In a word - perfect.

Initial aroma impressions include red wine vinegar, grape skin, red currants, maraschino cherries, and wood. Digging deeper I'm finding green apple, raisin, and some sourness mixed with barnyard funk. Quite complex indeed.

Red wine is the first thing I taste, but that quickly succumbs to a sour burst of cherries. Underneath the puckering sourness is a bit of balsamic vinegar, but it's kept in check thankfully. The back end presents a bit of the brown ale malts with some faint caramel and bready bits. There's a bit of leather, earth, funky straw, hay and grass to wrap it all up into a big package of awesomeness.

The best mouthfeel of any American Wild Ale I've ever had. I attribute it mostly to how microscopically small the bubbles are, creating a soft and smooth feeling across my tongue. The body feels slick, with a proper viscosity that is right within the means.

I think this is the best experience I've had to date with this beer, so I'd definitely recommend aging a bottle for a year and a half. This is the most balanced sour beer I can remember having, with all sorts of flavors and smells to pick up that can too often be covered up by a cloying sourness. I always told my parents I wanted to be a Blue Angels pilot when I grew up, but now I just want to be Vinnie Cilurzo.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company