Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,073
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
spdyfire83

Ireland

166th Review
Served into snifter
On-draft at Falling Rock Taphouse

From notes.

A: Medium burgundy. 1.5 (white) fingernail head.

S: Sweet cherry, tart apples, oak, vanilla, and hint of fig. Nice!

T: Much like the nose, but oh so tasty! Sweet cherry up-front with immediate dry tartness. Hints of oak and bacteria blend amazingly well together with a masterful (soft) citrus finish. Delicious through and through and to enjoy it on draft is even better than the bottle.

M: Light-medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Another fantastic beer from RR! This one is usually my go-to beer from RR as it is usually readily available and uber choice all-around. The complexity, yet simplicity is so perfect that words do not do it justice. If you haven't tried it, go get it! If you have tried it and don't like it, send the rest my way. If you enjoy it like me, I dig your style and maybe I'll invite you when I crack open the large format - that will be epic.

02-06-2012 18:29:31 | More by spdyfire83
VelvetExtract

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A-Pours a lightly turbid brownish hue. The body is misty, yet semi-clear. The head retains its stature proudly and doesn't waver much. Foamy lacing patches cling to the glass.

S-When initially served, it was a bit too cold and the aroma was stunted. However, as it warmed I really was impressed. A triad of wine, ale and sour yeast. The tart cherries are eccentric and enticing. The distinct Pinot Noir aroma rises and strengthens as the glass warms. Musty, dusty and oaky. The base ale also lends some pleasant malted aromas as well.

T-The flavor wowed me as well. The initial tartness of the yeast and cherries stunned my palate. As my tongue became accustomed to the flavors, I was able to pick up the delectable offerings of the barrel-aging process. Supplication is vinous and bretty while also staying sweet and ripe. I love the must, dust and oak that is found both in flavor and aroma. Perfect level of sourness.

M-Lighter side of medium bodied. Whizzing carbonation. Off-dry. No hints of alcohol. Supplication drinks with epic ease. I licked my lips and they even tasted tart.

O/D-What a success. One of the best Sours I have come across. Deserves its nearly godly reputation. This could turn any wine lover into a beer lover with one quick sip.

02-04-2013 20:48:17 | More by VelvetExtract
rye726

Colorado

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Wow, another fantastic brew from Russian River. Pours a hazy orangish brown with a creamt light beige head. Good lacing.

The nose has the usual tart fruits over subtle malts, musky oak, red wine and ripe mountain cherries.

Taste also has a near perfect blend between the sweet, sour and funky flavors. The cherries and wine barrels are a very nice addition to this ale.

Crisp body and delicate carbonation fit the style perfectly. Like I said, another artisinal creation from Vinnie.

10-31-2008 03:26:19 | More by rye726
shangwang

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Decided to crack open a bottle I've been aging for a while; I needed a little holiday cheer. Batch 006x2 poured into my Chimay glass.

Poured a hazy reddish hue with a frothy full finger of head which reduced quickly to a thin splotchy layer. I loved the columns of constant tiny bubbles rushing to the surface. It truly appeared as if my glass was alive! There was lots of great sour smell; I caught funky yeast, apple cider vinegar, cherry, and a little bit of general booziness. Very tart taste, which was totally to be expected and what I had anxiously hoped for. I tasted the brett in action (funky!), as well as the cherries and lots of bitter and sour. Also felt like like i tasted a sour apple/pear kind of thing in there. The mouthfeel was perfect- lots of crisp carbonation from the bottle conditioning which gently foamed on my tongue.

All in all, another great Russian River experience and a very satisfied customer! Sours are definitely an acquired taste, but this is among the best of the best. Definitely lives up to the hype, IMO.

12-24-2011 02:09:07 | More by shangwang
STEG

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Batch 5, duvel tulip, deep mahogany color eggshell colored fluffy head with good retention certainly. Smell has cherries tobacco red grape and a sour phenolic funk. Taste has the cherries show first with an almost medicinal character to it, cherry flavored cough syrup but in a good way a nicer, more memorable way. Mouthfeel is oily and viscous with a nice dryness and the sourness remains for a while. I could have a couple of these but not too many.

08-12-2010 00:14:36 | More by STEG
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Top 100 beer review... and this one probably always will be.

I'm bracing myself for this one. As many fine beers that I've tried now, this was absolutely my first time ever trying this one.

I need to thank my good buddies Huhzubendah and biglobo8971 for BOTH sending me bottles of this renowned sour.

Batch 005X1 poured into a tulip at cellar temperature.

No working around of the cork necessary.... this sucker just popped right away!

A: Dark amber color, with ruby highlights when held up to a light source. Mildly off-white head became an oblong bubble formation as it died down.

S: The barrel-aging was evident from the get-go. Brett was totally prominent, but not ridiculous. Sour cherries for sure, along with a good bit of pepper.

T: Mildly jaw-locking, with the RR taste profile on the forefront in spades! The barrel-aging definitely tamed the over the top sourness. Mildly wine-like, but not totally.

M: Definitely carbonated and then some, but much more so than than a fine wine. Fairly thick! I didn't find this one vinegary in the least and was totally state of the art in the Mouthfeel category!

O: This one has earned its place as one of the best sours on the market. Amazing stuff!

04-30-2011 02:20:48 | More by Chaney
DaftCaskBC

British Columbia (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

375 ML bottle batch 006X2.

A: Reddish amber with 3/8" soapy white head that dissipated over 2 minutes.

S: Sour cherries and yeast.

T: Starts off like a typical cherry lambic, but is incredibly smooth and dry and leaves very little aftertaste. Very peculiar and interesting, you want to just keep going for more and more in order to try and figure it out...

M: High level of medium carbonation. Wow.

O: I typically don't like sour beers or lambics but I really enjoy this beer. Exceptional.

06-16-2011 02:17:27 | More by DaftCaskBC
Westsidethreat

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Hazy amber grape fruit color. Head is tight bubbles that last the run of beer.

Smell: Aroma is oak, cherries, yeast...mystery.

Taste: The wild yeasts have been hard at work. Scores of dried apricots, tart cherries, yeasty goodness with a touch of citrus. Truly amazing.

Mouthfeel: Cream and silk, perfectly balanced.

I :heart: this beer.

05-15-2006 01:03:45 | More by Westsidethreat
d0ggnate

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Batch 003 that I brought back from the brewery during a Bay Area trip last March. Great time and waited long enough to pop this cork.

A: Amber/orange pour that fizzled like champagne when poured. The body is translucent, but a tady hazy at the same time. Poured effervecence lingers to form a lily pad of head that has centered in my glass.
S: Perfectly-soured cherries! A nice aroma pronounces the said added fruit along with light grapefruit.
T: Puckering sour deliciousness. Magnificence abounds. Cherries punch out again, as well as brilliant sour familiarity that has come to be expected from RR.
M: A rich, sweet liquid pours over my tongue, across palate and swirls down throat. Perfectly balanced flavors drink extremely well.
D: Rarity and scarceness should not stop you from obtaining/relishing/savoring/enjoying this offering from RR. Amazing! I will jump at the opportunity to enjoy this beer again.

08-01-2008 04:36:56 | More by d0ggnate
Tschnab

Batch #005x4

Had at Monk's Cafe, my first ever Russian River sour, I trembled with excitement as my waitress brought it to my table.

A- It pours a dark cherry red, almost ruby, with an active head that sticks around the whole time, though never exceeds more than half an inch. Lacing sticks to the cup all the way.

S- Some barnyard funkiness, but not as much as I would have guessed. Still, the brett is there enough to let me know this is a great sour before I even taste it. Lemon juice, vinegar, sour cherries, oak, and candy all are present.

T- oh man! awesome sour taste here, mouth-puckering but really not overpowering. The barrel-aging is worth it, because earthy, oaky char comes through to balance the acidic sourness. I don't drink much wine, but I detect some wine like characters too. Probably the most complex sour I've had, since sourness is only one feature of the multifacted flavor. Mouthfeel is good too, very carbonated.

O- I have read and read and read about Russian River this, Russian River that. Well, there is a reason people are talking, this might be the best beer I have ever had.

06-13-2011 03:00:48 | More by Tschnab
Reagan1984

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

A nice two finger head formed atop the beer in my tulip glass. Had a brief stay and fell to a thin cap. Beer is a dull copper color with excellent clarity. At first a touch of lacing, but later it was all over the inside of the glass.

Aroma is awesome. Tart cherries, earthiness and some oak notes. As it warms the aroma mellows and becomes more toasty.

Wow, I just love this. Very nutty, toasted cashews. Of course, nice tart cherries and a touch of vinegar. Wood notes linger in your mouth. Some of the same flavors I encountered in Allagash Vagabond. Once you become accustomed to the sour notes, the flavor just explodes. The oak notes play perfectly with the tart cherry flavor.

Mouth feel is light and fluffy initially then powerful. Carbonation brings the flavor to life.

Ok I'll be trading for more of this. Just an awesome beer to drink. I am making myself savor every last drop however, I want to consume it faster as it's just wonderful. Hats off again to Russian River.

03-22-2010 00:31:26 | More by Reagan1984
misinformed

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Batch 005x3, reviewed 2/1/11. Tulip glass.

A- Clear amber/rosy color. Some sediment in the second pour. Lots of active carbonation. Poured with 1/4" light peachy off-white head that settles to a lingering thin coating. Some light lacing.

S- Funky brett and fruity/cherry sweetness.

T- Funky brett and definitely some lacto as well upfront, extremely tart fruitiness with some cherry notes. Some faint oak at times. A bit of lemony citrus undertones as well. Incredibly smooth, tart, and extremely awesome.

M- Light bodied with tons of fine carbonation. Smooth and dry.

D- Thankfully I don't come across this often so I can honestly write that I will drink it every opportunity I get. Really excellent. The funky brett flavor just shines in this brew. Smooth and tart. Complex and well balanced all around.

02-02-2011 06:29:54 | More by misinformed
kaips1

Kentucky

375 ml litter bottle into a la chouffe snifter

had this at DLD from a bottle from the first 3 batches and now the review is from the 6th batch

a- a dark ruby reddish orange, not cloudy but almost opaque, it kind makes me think of thick apple cider in looks
s- some funk, some sweet, slight apple
t-sour sour sour, this bottle wasnt like my first tasting but its not bad by any means, almost like a warhead candy, you can definetely taste the cherries in the finish
m-lively and jaw locking, lots of carbonation, very dry finish
o/d- overall i love it, my favorite sour so far, drinkability- is good its easy to take down,smooth and light

05-23-2011 01:29:17 | More by kaips1
TheMurse

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Batch 006x2 When this arrived I had to force myself to wait and let it settle from its airplane ride. The anticipation was almost to much to bear. Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale glass holds the whole bottle.

Appearance - This one is for me and me alone. The color of the liquid is deep amber almost the color of a cherry wood stain.

Smell - The smell is funky, with a hint of woody undertones. You can smell the cherries. They are in the background, but they are there. The smell is adding to the anticipation.

Taste - First you are hit with the sour taste. It hits immediately, however it dissipates quickly. That funky taste one comes to expect flashes in the palate competing with the sour. Oh how I love this competition. There is no vinegar after taste that I have come accustom to when trying beers of this style. The cherry is late to the party and highly welcomed. Five minutes in and I am still tasting cherries! While I smelled wood, I can not taste it. The pinot noir is lost in my opinion, however maybe I would long for it if the beer were aged in something different.

Mouthfeel - This is sour but not a pucker your lips I do not want it again sour. The carbonation helps with this I think. The beer is definitely alive with carbonation. The beer plays across my tongue. I belched on the third sip! That makes it a real beer in my opinion! I think maybe another California brewery might want to take a field trip and get some pointers. I love the mouthfeel!

Overall - Oh where have you been all my life. Now, I have a ways to go in terms of Wilds, Lambics, and Guezes. I have had several in my time. I still need to try all sorts of beers yet to qualify as some sort of sour expert. However, with that written, I must state this plainly as I can. This is the best Wild Ale I have ever had and one of the top 5 beers I have ever had.

07-10-2011 03:08:54 | More by TheMurse
Pahn

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

375ml bottle into Duvel tulip. Batch 005X3, so bottled 5/3/10. Thanks to BA msulinski for trading me this bottle!

Appearance: Moderate pour yields a one inch fizzy white head that dissipates slowly. Pours a semi-translucent dark red and leaves large, many-pointed swatches of lacing that don't go away.

Smell: In the bottle: sour cherries and acetic sourness. In the glass: oak, some mild Brett, and even milder sour cherry in the background. Lactic sourness comes out quickly. The smell develops heavily minutes after leaving the bottle, and gets nice and deep with warmth. Almost floral. Good, but a bit faint.

Taste: First sip is sour cherry up front with a big, complex and tangy Brett note, a nice hit of sourness and then a soft but full oak note and more Brett. Sour cherry and tartness come back for the long aftertaste. Second sip brings out some surprisingly distinct and prominent Pinot Noir flavor, then more sour cherry and tons of Brett.

It's been awhile since I've had a wild ale this Bretty... I love it. That said, everything here is in balance. There's multiple types of sourness, a decent brown ale occasionally detectable underneath all the barrel treatment, and lots of strong and interesting flavors constantly emerging.

The sour cherry notes are substantial but mild; this isn't sour cherry forward like Red Poppy (which, deliciously, tastes like drinking sour cherries). The fruit notes are integrated like everything else. Even the dominant Brett manifests as distinct, complimentary notes; tangy up front, deep and musty in back. Despite the 7% ABV, there is not a hint of solvent or booziness anywhere in the vast array of flavors in this beer.

Each sip yields exciting and bold flavors up front and in the middle, then a beautiful, oaky mellowing into the tart and Bretty finish and aftertaste. World class stuff.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied. Perfect carbonation; abundant but just enough to keep the feel soft and creamy. Despite the numerous types of sourness, the feel is never stinging or abrasive. There's a great clarity to the flavor, bolstered by the excellent mouthfeel.

Overall: This beer is a real treat. It's one of those endlessly complex and delicious beers where even when you write too much in your review, you still haven't properly described all the beautiful things going on in the flavor. When you get the chance to drink this beer, take it.

06-17-2011 01:59:40 | More by Pahn
ONUMello

4.76/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml bottle dated 1/7/14 poured into a tulip
A: Medium brown with a slight reddish tint; its head starts out at one-finger, settles to 1/2 finger then lingers at that level
S: Intoxicating with sour cherries, a hint of vinegar, subtle wine/oak notes, and a mix of fresh herbs
T: Can't get better. Sour cherries, cranberries, some barnyard frunk, grass, subtle oak and a very long finish
M: Surprisingly light with pleasant carbonation; quite acidic
O: I don't think I've ever taken smaller sips of a beer trying to savor every last bit. This is fantastic in its complexity and also very refreshing. Wonderful beer

07-26-2014 16:06:47 | More by ONUMello
TCHopCraver

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Tasted this on 5/3/10 with TCGoalie and then again 5/8/10 with Buckyfresh. Thanks for sending it our way, zoso1967!

A: Served into an oversized wine glass, this beer appears as a copper/peach/raspberry colored amalgamation, and is topped with a pillowy beige head that starts at 1 finger high and slowly recedes. The head retention is exceptional. And, boy oh boy, is the lacing amazing! It is uber sticky and looks like the splashing water that Mickey Mouse controls in "Sorcerer's Apprentice." This is the finest lacing I have seen from a beer.

S: Aromas of sour fruitiness greet me when I take this beer deeply into my olfactory. I also detect a slight vinegar presence which contrasts nicely to all sorts of fruit smells: cherry, raspberry, peach, golden delicious apple. There is a healthy dose of funk in this smell, as well. The aroma is quite wine-like, closely related to a Pinot Grigio; this is odd, because the label says that the beer was aged in Pinot Noir barrels. Other aromas I get from this beer are some spice in the form of clove, paprika, and black pepper, and also some fresh woodiness.

T: Wow, sour! My first thought of a similar experience in my mouth is that of sucking on a Sour Patch candy. This beer lights up every crevice of my palate with a dry, biting, cherry, blueberry, golden delicious cider bomb of a flavor. There is some serious funk in the taste, in a great Tower of Power sort of way. You've got to Funkifize! The more I taste this, the more I recognize a similarity to quite dry Champagne.

M: Supplication takes my mouth on a roller coaster ride. The sourness explodes onto every taste bud, lingers for around ten seconds and then really dries out my mouth with a long, dry cherry-like residue.

D: I really enjoy the sour and dry character of this beer, and having split two 12.68 bottles in separate sittings, I would certainly classify this brew as a drawn out tasting sipper. This is by far the most original and exciting beer that I have had in awhile and it really shocked and delighted my taste buds. What a great beer!

05-09-2010 22:00:23 | More by TCHopCraver

02-03-2013 14:36:59 | More by bierdabbler
badbeer

Iowa

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Warning: Open this bottle over a bowl so that when it overflows you can still pour it into your glass. I did not use a bowl so the table got to drink a few ounces.

Batch 002
Pours a hazy reddish-brown color with a quickly dissipating off-white head. Smell is very tart, there are aromas of cherries, but there isn't a whole lot to them, predominant smells of sour and funk. This is not as sour as some other beers of this style, but that's not the goal, the goal is to create a damn good brew and I would say mission accomplished. There are sour cherries in the taste as well, but it's more of a vinegar-like sourness mixed with some oak and some grapes. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and had medium levels of carbonation, finish was dry. Extremely drinkable, I would have plenty of this often if I were given the chance.

03-12-2007 18:38:54 | More by badbeer