Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,198
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros

Batch 001
(Brewed on 11-Apr-04 and Bottled on 28-May-05)
Primary: Bastogne Ale Yeast (White Labs)
Conditioning: R.R. Wine 1

Listed as:
7.0%ABV / 1.064 O.G / 27 BUs

Presentation: 12.70 fluid ounce (375ml) greeny-brown glass bottle which has a rather unique look to it, flask like the dimpled underside and wide base with the tall proboscis like neck lend it a wine bottle feel. Single blue label is literally saturated with information about this brew. Principle data is that this is a brown ale aged for over 12 months in pinot noir wine barrels, during that period sour cherries, Brettanomyces, lactobacillus, saccharomyces and pediococcus are added. Refermented in the bottle, it is listed at 7.00% Alc. By Vol.

Listed as Batch 001. Cork and Caged with a white steel cap which has the words Russian River Brewing Company on it.

Appearance: Turbid ruddy sunset red-orange body that lays a rust bloom rainbow on my keyboard as the light from my desk lamp refracts through my Gueuze glass. Shame on me, I disobeyed the advice on the label, it recommends a Duvelian Goblet and not a straight sided glass, but I like to go against the grain (grape?) once in a while. The head forms into a manageable off-white beige covering that leaves a disappearing sliding lacing on the straight sided glass walls. Gentle swirls reveal a fizzing dissolved carbonation that regresses slowly. Final pour forms a lovely looking light brown uniform cap that stays around for some time.

Nose: Mild brown ale feel with some leathery sourness that prevails throughout. Hints of sour cherries and a gentle acidic distilled acerbic cherry essence in the back end. Light but sharp, cutting woody tones, soaked wooden wine barrels with a cold damp barn odor that hangs heavy. Wild yeasty finish cuts the resilient vinegary cherries and leaves you with a tingling nasal passage.

Taste: Starts with some sweetness, it flies quickly into a malty sour Brune which has a distinctive Belgian parentage that has benefited from a sunny education in the Wine laden region of Santa Rosa. The sour cherry rises in the middle but finishes with a red grape feel which imparts a warming glow on the tongue and cheeks. Immense talent shines in the relative youngster, it has a long way to go, and it is going to be one to keep an eye on. Established Lambic like character meets a Vino Youngster.

Mouthfeel: Acidic, dry, sharp, tingly, flashingly lambic-like, fleetingly sweet, prevalently sour, shockingly big. Take a mouthful of this, swirl it in the aural cavity, the feel of the dissolution of the dissolved carbonation is fucking huge, enough to produce a nasal backwash burp and cherry flavored bogies. The swallow is dessicacringent (I think that is a new word I just invented) followed by a cherry laden lambic twang with a low lying cheek pulling Kriek feel.

Drinkability: I hear that this one is gonna be available in 1.5 liter Magnums soon……wonder if they will sell those by Mail Order? I’m seriously tempted if they do. Needless to say, 12.7 fl.oz. is just *NOT* enough!! Dump the little bottles and start sticking this one in 750’s as at least as a minimum Vinnie.

Overall: Nice to try this one fresh, so to speak, but it is going to be a real pleasure to watch this one grow up.

Wine meets Beer.
Belgium meets the USA.
Flanders meets Northern California.
Art meets Brewer.

Russian River. Once Tasted – Always Loved - Never Forgotten.

Thanks to my good M8, East Coast Worker cum wannabe Northern-West Coast Resident; Gentleman BA Rapopoda. I’m not sure I am worthy of such a gift.

TheLongBeachBum, Jun 29, 2005

Original_Gravity, Nov 11, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

One of a number of very special things I had at Russian River recently, and my overall favourite.

Sort-of-murky reddish brown with no head to speak of. Looks like some kind of wood varnish, and smells a little like it too - woody and acidic, with sour cherries, oxidised red wine, apple cider vinegar and band-aids.

The taste is similar to the above description, in the best possible way. Big dark cherries and grapes to the fore, with all the other stuff in the mix. Earthy, drying tannins and a tantalizingly ephemeral hint of sweetness. Complex as hell, and utterly refreshing and invigorating.

Light in feel and briskly carbonated, perfectly balanced and ridiculously complex without ever being a "challenge". I had another few things I desperately wanted to try, not knowing when and if I'll ever be back in Santa Rosa, but I could have had a few more of these, easy. Just dreamy.

Parrotshake, Dec 20, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

While I'm relatively new to sours, I've had some impressive variations lately. At my local brew store, I saw Supplication - and knew it came highly recommended. While I've got some work to do on my glassware game, this was served from a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- a beautiful burnt orange, like a Colorado sunset - when the sky looks like its on fire. Deep, rich hues that invoke memories of world travel and freedom. Carbonation bubbles constantly float upwards, in a seemingly endless fashion.

S - Wow. Cherries, Sour, smells like winter and spring at the same time. Refreshingly in your face, but the tartness of the ale really comes through your nostrils.

T - A beautifully put-together sour ale. So complex, with flavors galore. Not overpowering, not too tart, very very well done.

M - my mouth is still watering.

O - At $13 for a pint, I'd buy a 6 pack. Highly, Highly recommend.

fatmusic14, Dec 13, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A big thank you to stfun37 for filling this big want.

Looks a murky brown/gold, like unfiltered apple cider. Head is small, but I made an admittedly gentle pour.

Smells fantastic. Wine, apples, vinegar. Beautiful.

Tastes of apples, sour goodness, other fruits dancing in the background, but very crisp. Incredible stuff.

Mouth is spot on, thin/med with relatively high carbonation.

They say sour is the new IPA. Well if this is the head of the sour class, count me in to the new school. May the beer gods bring Russian River to Western PA.

sonicdescent, Jan 29, 2009

huddyball, Oct 12, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

I was very excited to split this with my dad. He loved Iron Hill's Barrel Aged Permanent Midnight, another sour beer aged in wine barrels. If he loved IH's I reasoned, surely this would knock his socks off. Sadly this wasn't the case. Too sour for his liking, he said. Oh well, on to what really matters, my opinion.

a: This is a dark golden color with some amber highlights. It poured with a small fizzy head.

s: I should just give up trying to describe sour beers, I just can't find the adjectives that seem to fit. I smell sour cherries that seem to have some floral qualities. I also got wine aromas blanketed by prickly mustiness. As woefully inadequate as it is, that is the best I can do.

t: Incredibly tart without quite becoming obnoxious. Dry overall, while managing to have a little underlying sweetness. Just a hint though. Tastes like red wine saturated with sour cherries. Here again, I just don't have the ability to describe what I'm tasting. I just know I love it.

m: The carbonation is on the gentle side. This has a looong tart finish.

d: Well, my dad looks like he is trying out for a Rolling Rock commercial. He just doesn't like it. For me though, I'm glad I was able to purchase and consume a bottle before the PLCB got ahold of it. Russian River continues to astound me.

DIM, Mar 18, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a beautiful red orange with no head but some lacing is left. Aroma is of cider, vinegar and cherries. Taste follows the nose, tart in the best way possible. Leaves cherries in the finish. Mouthfeel is very carbonated and dry but not too dry. This is an excellent wild ale!

jcartamdg, May 28, 2011

Batch 6

a-deep mahogany reddish color. Cork pops with ease, lots of carbonation and lively bubbles meet the glass. Head never gives way, stays about a 1/4" thick. Does not lace much down the glass. Carbonation is not too much, goes well with the beer.

s-cherries, sour, brett, funk, wine barrel, oak. Tons of nose in this beer. Opens up when it warms. The cherries are huge in the beginning, but as it warms, the brett and other bacteria come forward.

t-I tasted this beer when it was cold, then let it sit and warm. Huge difference in how the flavors open up. A lot of sour cherries are supported by brett and wood. The beer has a lot of depth of flavor. At first the beer is really tight, but gets more open as time goes on.

m-right on the money. Has a lot of good feel, lingers on for a while.

o-I bought another one to cellar, and I am damn excited. This beer should do quite well with some time. This is a great example of a wild ale.

goosewhisperer, May 30, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to BeerBeing for the trade. Pours with moderate foam, body is a cloudy brownish red. Has characteristics of a nice red wine, vanilla, oak, faint Brett.

Taste is fucking amazing! Great pinot noir flavor, vanilla, cherries, oak, plus dirty barnyard notes. Slightly sour. Mouthfeel is great, just like that of the Temptation I had before this. Just as impressive as Temptation. I've found the new crack!

Sephiroth, Feb 07, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Dipping into my cellar for my birthday
Bottle from batch 10, poured into a snifter

pours a very dark reddish brown with a half finger of head which has receded quickly leaving a thin ring of foam. good lacing along the sides, thick and consistent

smells strongly of sour cherries, tart apple, pinot noir and the oak from the barrels, alcohol, a bit of citrus and some bready yeast

taste is incredibly sour cherry, wine, apples, following through with a nice malty finish. incredible

the mouth is my favorite part. the flavors come in layers, the first one hitting you being sweet cherry apple, quickly changing from a sweet to neutral, and finally to a strong sour finish leaving a great after taste of cherry, grape, apple, and a trace of malt. Finishes very dry and waits until the very end to make your face twist. Leaves a nice tingle on the tongue, very reminiscent of a good champagne

Overall the best sour I've had. This is the first of my russian river sours, and definitely going to make it challenging to continue aging my other RR sours in my cellar. Still amazed how all the different layers can separately and clearly present themselves as you drink the sips down

lordofstarside, Oct 19, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

A: A pale copper with excellent clarity, which surprised me after wresting the cork as much as I did I was sure I'd have stir up the sediment. The off-white head with a touch of pink/orange is quick to fade leaving a ring of fine bubbles around the edge of the glass.

S: An intense sour aroma with moderately-strong fruit aromas mostly of black cherries and currents. There is some of that velvety red grape aroma layered on top of the vanilla and oak notes. Nothing in the way of malt or hops aroma; no diacetyl either.

T: Lots of fruit most red currents and oranges with a moderately-strong sourness. There is a little bit sweetness but the balance is pretty tart, like a sweet tart with twice the tart. There aren't any hops to be found here either but there not needed; very low bitterness and no flavor. The finish is very dry, there is a tartness left in the aftertaste but its mostly fruity with oranges, dark cherries and even a touch of strawberries.

M: moderately-light bodied with moderate carbonation. It's not cream nor crisp. No astringency.

O: Wow! A complex, fruity sour with a whole lot of balance. Well worth getting a hold of. This beer could easily substitute for light to moderate red wine when paired with food. There a quiet a few beers with more sour than this but Supplication has elegant refined flavor, I want nothing more out this beer than say a few more bottles.

MadScientist, Nov 01, 2012

batch 005X2

A - pours a deep reddish brown with only half a finger of persistant head (though I poured it a bit slowly to keep yeast sediment in the bottle).

S - Cherries are initially prevalent, giving way to hints of oak, a bit of funk and sour apple. This smells fantastic.

T - Very tart, acidic cherry and oak tannins come through and dry the palate; some sour apple and mustiness as well. A wonderful blend of flavors. I'm really enjoying this.

M - Medium mouthfeel with great carbonation. This is lively, tart and drying on the palate.

D - Definitely one to sip slowly and enjoy. Makes me want to travel to California more often.

warnerry, Feb 08, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Very nice amber color. Slight tint of burgundy. Very thin fine off white head that dissipated fast. No lacing really.

S: Currants, funk, feet, earth. Oak and fresh cider apples and sour cherries. Maybe a pinch of cave aged gouda at the very end?

T: Obviously, the first thing that hits you is the sour characteristics of this crazy beer. It has a wild and complex array of sour apple, malt, pinot noir, funk fusion going on. The finish is clean and tight.

M: It's not as tannic as you would think and leaves the sides of your tongue alone. It's extremely palatable and smooth to drink.

D: If Flanders and the Willamette Valley (Pinot growers) had a love child, this would be it. Very drinkable!

MicroBeerMan1980, Jun 14, 2012

Batch 3

A - A cloudy burnt brownish color that sits squarely between a belgian pale and belgian dark. A moderate brownish white head builds and recedes quickly, with a little that retains and remains. Unique.

S - Certainly a tart aroma from the cherries and smorgasbord of other fruit underscored by biscuity spice and some wet leather brett aroma. Sweet, earthy, funky and spicy, with each facet taking its proper place.

T - Having had Temptation recently, I was anxious to see if Supplication was both as distinct and excellent as her blonde sister. Amazingly the answer is yes. Up front is some intense sour and tartness. It takes a few sips to get past the sourness and get the heart of this brew. The sourness gives way to some caramel malt bread taste. Some mild funk sticks its head in to say hello somewhere in the middle, but the Brett makes a quick visit, and goes as fast as he came. In the end is a nice rise of pure sweetness from cherries, grapes, melons oh my which goes against some yeast spice. Some oakiness lives in the breath.

M & D - Light/medium bodied with just the right balance of carbonation and smoothness to enhance the flavors. The sourness dries the tongue right out, and the flavors make you yearn for the next sip. A winning combination, but I'm not looking the empty glass that my future soon holds.

schinebd, Sep 24, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks again to ales4baldo for this awesome wild ale!
Poured from the bottle to a tulip glass.
Pours a nice deep redish brown with orange hues when up to the light. I got a one finger head from a pretty vigorous pour that then disappears to nothing with no lacing.
Nose is bright with fruit, candy sugars, tart apple, cranberry defiantly a little yeasty funk, and a hint of oak.
Flavor defiantly shows off the tart cherries. I get some nice sour apple, and cranberry but it has an interesting fresh fruit juice in the middle. I can defiantly pick up on some oak.
Mouthfeel is pretty nice, almost a cider like feel with a medium high level of carbonation. I defiantly get a nice lingering bitterness and tartness.
Overall an awesome brew. Really complex but very well balanced. I Love a good sour and this has topped them all so far!
Thanks Baldo!

hdelavega, Nov 19, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

375ml bottle, batch 04X1. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a very dark orange-brown with a thick and creamy off-white head that never fully dissipates. Leaves sudsy lacing as it recedes. Very pretty!
S - Excellent aromas of tart cherries, oak, caramel malt, and funky microbial tartness. It's tough to really make out individual aromas, this is more of a heavenly marriage between all the best Lambics, Krieks, and Flanders Reds.
T - Wow, you know how I said this smelled like some kind of blend of Lambic, Kriek, and Flanders Red? It tastes exactly the same! Cherries, oak, brown sugar, tobacco, caramel, red wine, and funk with just the right amount of tartness. Amazingly complex, this could be a deserted-island beer!
M - Quite slick, with a medium body and crisp, sharp carbonation. Nicely dry and tannic finish, much like a red wine.
O - Well, what more can I say? This was an amazing beer, easily one of the most flavorful, complex, and nuanced I've ever had. Another home run from Russian River!

jsanford, Mar 19, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

This bottle is from batch 002.

Appearance: Deep, dark transparent red with a small blanket of foam that fades into a ring pretty quickly.

Aroma: Lactic sourness with a hint of sweetness. Unripened cherries and slight funk. The wine barrel becomes more noticeable as it warms. Outstanding.

Taste: Cherries and raspberries, oaky tannins, just a touch of sweetness. The dry finish really brings out the wine barrel flavors.

Mouthfeel: Moderate acidity. Medium-to-light bodied, but the tart quality of the ale gives it a refreshing quality. Gentle carbonation.

Drinkability: Normally such an acidic beer would keep the drinkability fairly low for me, but this is so good that I honestly don't mind it.

largadeer, Jun 19, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

One can be fortunate to come across many beers that are very good, but the beer that makes you pause and marvel upon first sip are rare indeed. Bitter cherry and oak notes drum a steady sour/tart backbeat while the yeast flavors lend a funkyfied harmony that melds into a delightful experience. Must find more.

Brent, Sep 27, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pours a slightly hazy amber with some golden hues on the edges when held up to the light, capped by a two finger cream colored head with great retention that leaves tight lacing down the side of the glass. Beautiful.

S: Sour cherries up front with a lot of complexity backing it up - vinous characteristics, some oakiness, a hint of yeasty aroma, a bit of funk (although there's more sour aspects than funk), earthiness that could be from the hops or the funk. Every whiff reveals a slightly different balance of the components.

T: More tartness than the aroma lets on, but far from overpowering. Sour cherries are the first taste, giving way to oaky notes, grapes, some funk poking out from behind the sourness on the backend, even a bit of leather. All of it is backed up by a slight caramel malty aspect. Strongly sour, but balanced in the sense that it doesn't hide the complexity of everything going on in this beer.

M: Good medium carbonation and a smooth feel balance the mouth-puckering sourness. High in acidity but remarkably refreshing.

D: If not for price and rarity, I could drink this like water...and that's only a slight exaggeration. An amazing beer, and I can't wait to see how it evolves over the next couple years.

Xul, Feb 21, 2010

Batch 4x4, thanks to a trade with Popkas

Pours a beautiful deep ruby red with a finger of soft cream colored head that has great retention and great lacing. Smells of wood, red grapes, some spice, cherries, and definitely a funky brett smell. Taste is much like the nose but now I can pick up on raspberries and the vinegar cuts through, in a very pleasant way. The sourness is mouthwatering and refreshing, not burning or overly drying. Nice and sweet but nicely sour too, ends pretty cleanly but still has a faint lingering grain taste, but more noticeable in the slight aftertaste are the sour cherries. Wonderful carbonation and coating round out the dry and tart body. Incredibly delicious and enjoyable, though I could see how having much more would be troublesome for a person's stomach or tongue. Still, this is an incredible beer and I wish that RR distributed in MA!

kbanks13, Aug 21, 2010

Poured from a mini-Belgian style bottle into a Duvel Tulip

A-Beautiful mahogany/amber with a thick white head and awesome lacing

S-Such an amazing nose. All of the sour beers I have had in the past seem unrefined after just the smell of this. Full on sour beer funk, green apples, moss, sour berries. Amazing

T-Wow. This is amazing. Tons of sour yeasty/brette funk with some tart apple cider vinegar, sweet apple, cherry and sweet vanilla oak. This is the best sour beer I have ever had. It is aggressive, assertive and yet some what subtle and refined.

M-High carb, keeps it light and lively.

D-Very Very high for the style. This is a beer anyone who prides themselves a beer geek should not only try but stock at home. Incredible plain and simple.

MinorThreat, Sep 15, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

i am going to be visiting russian river two weeks from today, so i decided it was a good excuse to open my bottle of supplication. been looking forward to this one for a while! thanks to fartingdog and DrJay for helping this to get here.

375ml bottle, corked and caged. batch 003. sampled august 17/08.

bottle opens with a hefty pop. pours murky reddish orange with a small head of fine white bubbles. the head quickly drops to a ring around the glass, with a small patch in the center from the etching on the bottom of my chimay glass.

aroma is great. as soon as i opened the bottle i could smell it. tart cherry. cider vinegar. lemon. leather. horse blanket. green tobacco leaves. oak and vanilla. white wine. light citrus. bread and cracker. bit of grain. can't wait for the taste!

taste is excellent. intense puckering sourness at first, quickly fading to a nice light citrus sweetness. lemon and cider vinegar that becomes more tangerine and orange peel. slightly acidic, but not overpowering. after a few sips i become accustomed to the sourness and can see a little deeper into it. white bread and a bit of cracker. faint sour cherry. bit of leather and horse blanket funk, but a little less than i expected from the aroma. it plays well with the other elements here. earthy and slightly herbal, bringing in that tobacco element again. vanilla and raw oak. white wine. green grapes. light alcohol. as it warms a little more caramel and nutty character comes out too. wow, i think i'm in love.

mouthfeel is great. medium high carbonation level that feels a bit higher due to some sting from the acidity, but once you grow accustomed to the acidity you can see that it's not quite as high. body is about medium, but with a fairly clean dry finish.

drinkability is great. the interplay and balance between all the elements here is superb. the depth and complexity keeps you going back for more. i wish i had a case of this so i could just keep drinking it...

grub, Aug 18, 2008

First had: on tap at Monk's, Philly, PA

Russian River never disappoints, so it seems. Just tremendous all over the place, and it's so hard to pick a favorite from them. That said, there's a good possibility that Supplication may be my favorite Russian River brew, more so than Pliny the Younger and Consecration, both of which I really love.

Poured a crimson cherrywood color, with a creamy cap of off-white head that left a bit of streaky lacing on the tulip glass. The head dissipated mostly, but left a ubiquitous ringlet of delicate bubbles behind. Tart aroma, rich with various indistinct fruits, and classic Brett-ness; woody, with some nice funk. Incredibly complex taste: starts out tart and sour, with notes of cherries, cranberries, lemons!!! and white wine; mellows out mid-palate with a distinct mustiness that allows the woody characters to come out, then a fruity reprise in the end with dried cherries and dried pineapple, for a solid crisp finish. Not heavy in the mouthfeel, but definitely full on the palate. Beautifully crafted, and highly drinkable.

Rifugium, Oct 31, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to Deepsouth for this one!

Pours a nice hazy orange color with a nice 1/4" head. Lots of sticking!

Very sour aroma with a tangy-citrus aroma with a nice mellow cherry in the background.

SOUOOOUUURRR!!! Love it! Huge random flavors of cherry combined with a nice citrus flavor that is combined with a long lasting oak aroma.

Very tart to the tongue and mouth. Delicious and smooth with a nice tart finish.

Very drinkable but to rare to drink often. Another smashing hit from Russian River.

RixBeer, Jun 06, 2008