Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,344
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Goblet, batch 04XI Thanks ksullnh!

A: Gentle pour yields 1/4 finger of fizzy tan head with poor retention - I'd like more and better retention. Is that possible with sour beers? Clear light brown liquid with some red and amber highlights. Color is great, which brings my rating up from a 3.5 to a 4.0.
S: Citrus, lemon zest. Slight aspirin? Slight bread. So intriguing and inviting.
T: Delicious! Perfect tasting sour brown (which I thought it was!), sourness and sweetness mix perfectly, like lemonade almost. Slight whole wheat breadiness in the aftertaste. Some Atomic Warhead candy in aftertaste too. Apple cider, woody, grapeskin.
M: Expectorant, tart, dry
D: So nice. I'd definitely order another and will buy again when I can!

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Draft, at Monk’s cafe RR dinner 1/23/07. I presume this was batch 1.

Ruby colored, barely any head (sample was poured into my glass from a pitcher).

Beautiful funky sour aroma, with cherries fairly evident. I could smell this beer all day.

Tart cherrry flavor. Notes of oak and red wine. Complex yet refreshing. Finishes dry.

Delicious beer; I’d love to have a few cases in my cellar. Matched beautifully with an apple glazed duck breast.

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Huge thanks to arbitrator for sending this one my way.

Bottle split and poured into my tulip the beer is a murky amber orange. A tiny wisp of head attempts to form but fails leaving soapy spots around the glass.

The aroma starts with a heavy dose of yeasty sour funk. Tart cherries and granny smith apples along with a solid wet wood and straw mix. No wet dog or horse blanket just fruity sour funk.

The flavor is super pleasant sour cherries and grapes. Not all up in your face funky but just enough to make you mouth pucker. Light tones of wood and bready yeast sneak in there to add to the complexity of this beers flavor.

Medium to light wine like body with plenty of carbonation.

Overall I wish I had a 375ml to myself. Who am I kidding I wish it was a growler. A perfect balance of sour and sweet to keep you wanting another sip. A simply spectacular beer.

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

I got this bottle of batch 00s thanks to a trade with Tayner. Thanks Dana!

It pours a hazy peach colour with a 1" head of foam.There's some good lacing and foam is shrinking but looks like some of it will be around at the end of the session. Ok, the foam did leave the scene entirely but, what the hell..

The smell is just what I like to find in American Wild Ales...huge sour notes from cherries and lemons. Also a big yeasty profile with some vanilla and oak. Super nice nose.

The taste is as good if not better than the nose. Wow. Big oaky and yeasty notes with some yeasty tones and big fruity tartness from lemons, apricots, and cherries. There's also an underlying sweetness coming from vanilla. And did I mention the funk? No? My bad. The Brett is definitely present here working its magic, intertwining with all the other luscious flavours. and bringing real justice to the style.

Marvelous, simply marvelous. The mouthfeel is medium, the carbonation is brisk but fits this ale so well, and it finishes with that sour cherry tartness that just demands that I take another sip tout suite. Eminantly drinkable for me, to say the least.

This is a world class brew in my book and thanks go out again to Dana for sending this my way!

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from a 375 mL bottle into a tulip. Batch 04X3, caged and corked bottle.

Appearance: Supplication pours a deep ruby color, mostly transparent except for the yeast particles floating around. A dollop of beige foam rests on top and laces up the glass nicely.

Smell: A great balance of sour and funky. There is so much going on here. A bit of dark malt, lots of cherries, some lemon, and a nice level of funk, horse blanket and a little stinky cheese.

Taste: The brief sweetness is accompanied by tart cherries, and the flavor grows even more sour as the sip progresses. Tart, more acetic than lactic, and vinegary, totally bold without killing my palate. Each sip waters the mouth just enough to make me want to go back for more. Notes of pinot noir come in toward the end, as if this beer needed any more complexity, along with some spicy oak tannins. The finish has a nice funk to it, giving me an extra smile.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation starts with a bite but is smooth throughout each sip. A sour puckering sensation causes me to salivate without being overpowering. Lightly vinegary and acidic. A light astringency comes with the barrel but is barely noticeable. The body is on the lighter side of medium. Russian River knows my sour sweet spot.

Overall: I cannot believe it has taken me this long to try my first Supplication. This is everything I want in a sour, I will be coming back to this beer again and again.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

On tap at Monk's Mad Monday event..

A - Red pour with visible carbonation. Thin head that settles fast. No lacing. Clear hue. Really perfect for the style.

S - Sour cherries, vanilla, and oak hit the nose. You can really smell the pinot noir coming through this beer as it absorbed the wine notes.

T - Rich cherry flavor that ends with a tart finish. The wild yeast gives it a nice blend of funk. The aging allows some reserved oaken pulp in the finish as well. Some vanilla bean balances this out with a little sweetness.

M - One of the easiest drinking sour beers I've ever come across. Scratch that, it is. just a perfect balance of sweet to tart notes.

O - I am not an expert on this style but I don't know how this could be better. This is why RR is on that elite level. And this is why American craft can accomplish anything when craftsmen brew this quality of beer. Just a wow moment drinking this one.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

A- Brown with a deep reddish hue. Poured with about a two inch head, settles nicely into about a quarter inch head that is quite fluffy. Great head retention. Also quite a bit of lacing on the glass. Quite carbonated when it is poured. Even after a few minutes, can see bubbles traveling up the glass.

Right off the bat, can tell this is a special beer.

S- Smells of cherries with other fruity smells in there. I honestly don't have the greatest sense of smell, however, first smells of cherries, with sharp citrus scents in there as well, with just a hint of an oaky aroma.

T- Tastes mostly of cherries with just a hint of oak. Nice laid back funk to it. A little sour bite to it, however, does not make you pucker. Extremely balanced; almost difficult to discern flavors because everything blends so well....this is definitely a good thing

M- medium mouthfeel; not extremely thick, but not thin by any means. Beer almost sticks to the inside of the mouth and finishes medium dry.

O- One of the best beers I've ever had. For some reason, I expected this to be more challenging to drink, however, compared to other sours this was not extremely sour or extremely funky. The real magic in this beer for me was how all of the flavors of fruit, funk, sour, and oak blended together.

For a sour, drinkability was off the charts. If I had brought back more from Colorado, I would definitely be drinking multiple bottles.

I brought back three of these from Colorado, and now I am really regretting not bringing back more...

4.88/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow I'm excited.

Thanks to Jake_ramrod for the share.

A. Bright amber. Translucent. Poured minimal head that retreats to a fine rim.

S. Tart. Sour fruits of cherries, apples, grapes, and persimmon. Sour bacteria. Neutral oak. Clean and crisp.

T. Super tart. Follows the nose with sour fruit, light malts, sour yeast, and bretts.

M. Crisp and clean. Extremely smooth to the 3rd degree. Low carbonation. Light body.

O. This lives up to the hype. I would go to great lengths for this again. It's way sour but in an excellent way. Super clean. One of the best sours brewed in the U.S.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Batch 006X2. Long time fan of Supplication, first time reviewing it.

A - beautiful red dark amberish hue. Not exactly clear, but close enough for the style

S - funk, tart aroma with a little sour cherry and lemon.

T - Wow! The tart, sour, mouth Pickering lactic acid is a kick in the pallet! Awesome beer. The oak, cherry, sour balance is unbelievable. It finishes with a lingering lemony lactic taste, with a very very slight vinegar/acetic touch. Fantastic! The Pinot noir barrel adds a bit of depth that really comes out as it warms.

M - sparkling carbonation on the tongue. Medium body, crisp from start to finish.

O - Outstanding beer!!! I could honestly drink this everyday! It's tart/sour enough, but displays the beautiful notes that fruit and Pinot noir can add to this style. Beautifully sour, but drinkable beyond belief. I'd recommend this beer as the best 'American Wild' that i've tried.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

375ml bottle, batch 04x1, poured into a Bruery tulip glass at around 45-50 degrees. This is a bit over a year old at this point, I've been saving it a while to see how it has changed.

Pours a rich mahogony with a very light tan tinged head. Miniscule carbonation rises from the bottom, keeping afloat the one finger width of very fine froth on top. Fantastic clarity, excellent retention, and crazy lacing. In a word - perfect.

Initial aroma impressions include red wine vinegar, grape skin, red currants, maraschino cherries, and wood. Digging deeper I'm finding green apple, raisin, and some sourness mixed with barnyard funk. Quite complex indeed.

Red wine is the first thing I taste, but that quickly succumbs to a sour burst of cherries. Underneath the puckering sourness is a bit of balsamic vinegar, but it's kept in check thankfully. The back end presents a bit of the brown ale malts with some faint caramel and bready bits. There's a bit of leather, earth, funky straw, hay and grass to wrap it all up into a big package of awesomeness.

The best mouthfeel of any American Wild Ale I've ever had. I attribute it mostly to how microscopically small the bubbles are, creating a soft and smooth feeling across my tongue. The body feels slick, with a proper viscosity that is right within the means.

I think this is the best experience I've had to date with this beer, so I'd definitely recommend aging a bottle for a year and a half. This is the most balanced sour beer I can remember having, with all sorts of flavors and smells to pick up that can too often be covered up by a cloying sourness. I always told my parents I wanted to be a Blue Angels pilot when I grew up, but now I just want to be Vinnie Cilurzo.

4.88/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Aw yea, straight deliciousness right here. Poured a deep ruby with a frothly head that subsided quickly. Smells of fruity cherries, barnyard/hay, funk, and tart cherries. Taste shines right with the smell with a glorious burst of dark cherry, morphing into tart cherry, then transforming into a beautiful barnyard funk, with some horseblanket and hay, followed by wet dirt (think moist turned up soil), and light lactic sourness. Mouthfeel is spot on, bracing carbonation that carries the flavors around without being too abrasive. Must buy, must try for the sour fan.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Batch 04x4. Christening my new flute glass.

Huge pop off the cork on this one, pours a hazy weird red-brown color with a nice fluffy white head. The lacing on this is crazy, some of the thickest I've ever seen and all over the glass.

Smell is very musty and funky, cherries, very much like a lambic.

The cherry taste is excellent and super-fresh and covers your tongue and gums in a smooth, sour silk. It is sour but not overly so at all, keeps you wanting more and more after each sip. Funky yeast, musty cherries and lemon linger in the aftertaste for a frighteningly long time, so awesome. I think I still pick up some of the brown ale notes, a slight caramel/vanilla taste. The oak/woodiness starts to show through more in the finish, and it is the most up-front WOOD taste I've had in a beer. It literally tastes like chewing on tree bark (a good thing in this case.)

The mouthfeel here is great and creamy, very carbonated, but I have to give it a 5 here simply because of the way it just covers your mouth with awesomeness. Any alcohol taste is massacred, it doesn't stand a chance.

Sourness and price may affect drinkability but for this style, this is amazingly easy to drink, tasty and refreshing. Every sip left me yearning for more, I finished this too quickly. This is only my 3rd sour I've had so I'm no expert, but goddamn this was a good beer. I can't wait to try Russian River's other sours.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Wow. If you have had Santification or Consecration this beer is similar but way better than both. If you have the money buy at least one and enjoy. I paid 17 per bottle from Pinnochios Beer Garden in Media, PA. Well worth the buy. I offered to a friend of mine who hates all craft beers because he is not open to the "big" taste but he was blown away by this one!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

poured into a chimay goblet.

a- pours a nice deep bronze. The beer is a little hazy and the head stayed about a half inch thick throughout.

s- smell of slight brett funk, oak, and dark cherries. Very inviting, and hard to stop sniffing.

t- a very dry, oaky ale taste up front, followed by a sour cherry tang on the back corners of the mouth.The complexity of flavors work so well together. The whole tongue is needed to taste this beer.

m- champagne-like carbonation, The dryness really leaves you wanting more.

d- I could drink this all day, every day. It's a shame it's seasonal (as well as a little pricy) because these are the only things keeping me from doing so.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

The best sour I've ever had. Pours a dark orange/light brown that turns golden at the edges in the light. A nice tan head that sticks around for much longer than one would expect, but does eventually disappear. The smell is fantastic... So complex. Sweet sweet dark fruits: lots of cherry and plum along with figs and currants. a great oakiness to compliment the brett smell that is so overwhelmingly awesome. I find it hard to really get a grip on everything that eminates from a glass of supplication.

The flavor is equally phenomenal. Everything from the aroma is there in a big way. Lots of oak and cherries up front to start off sweet, and then it moves into the more subtle fruit flavors with the plum and figs. Raisins are even perceptible. Some alcohol to go along with the beautiful tartness in the finish and sweet sweet aftertaste that keeps you reaching for so much more. Just a really, super complex, ridiculously well made beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and wonderful with, of course, excessive carbonation. The drinkability is as good as any sour out there.

This beer brings tears to my eyes. Highly recommended.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Pours a semi hazy brownish color Nice bubbles flowing from the bottom
S: Tart cherries, funk, fruity esters, strong funky cherry sourness dominates.
T: Follows the nose. Tart cherries, lemon zest, sour apple, and a slight oak note in the back of the palate. Really balanced. Not too sour, but just enough to get you hooked.
M: Pretty decent carbonation, dry mouthfeel, medium bodied.
O: This is pretty delicious. As it warmed sat for a while I got more of the oak in the nose as well as the flavor. It's pretty complex and just damn good. Only complaint was the price, and of course I had to drive to Philly to pick it up.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company