Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,619
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,393 | Hads: 5,781

375ml bottle provided by ahatcher78. poured into a flute

a- pours a light orange almost IPA color. maybe a pale tainted by the cherries? produced a substantial amount of fluffy white head. probably the best lacing I've seen on an American wild.

s- funky, sour cherries to the max. the cherries are so vibrant and inviting. it's hard to describe the strength of the aroma. awesome.

t- definitely some mouth puckering acetic sourness up front. it's got some great complexity to it. all the flavors are as intense and as they are pleasant. to sum it up. sour, brett, sweet cherry candy, hint of vinegar. I really can't imagine anything being much better than this. Certainly the best I've had to date.

M- super dry, light/medium bodied with fairly subtle carbonation. can mouth puckering count as a plus count as a plus in this category? since I'm not sure I'll keep it at a 4.5. BM me if you think I should bump it up.

d- yea, I could drink all my money away on this beer. and probably be pretty satisfied with my investment. dead and dying from starvation but enjoying some extremely fine brew. I've been borderline bumping up a couple stats so I'll say 5.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Body is clear brown, resembling dark apple cider. Poured easily to a half inch of tan head, which quickly dissipated to a collar, producing some trace elements of lacing as it is consumed.

Complex nose of sour apples, oak wood, vanilla, citrus, cinnamon spice, cherries and pinot noir.

This tastes somewhat tart, mainly of sour apples with a little cinnamon spiciness. Cherries and pinot noir add deeper body. The acidity is balanced by woody vanilla notes. It is dry in the finish, through which the pinot flavor extends all the way.

Body is light and carbonation is fizzy, giving this a refreshing, crisp mouthfeel.

This is a very tasty beer. It builds on the Belgian bruin style, with a foundation of bacteria-produced sourness and cherries. But aging in pinot noir barrels gives this its lovely spicy varietal element that is unique and delicious (OK, I like pinot).

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Paid 25 dollars for a 355ml. Poured into a tulip.

A: Beautiful red tinged beer with lots of bubbles. Hazy and with minimal head.

S: Sour apples, cherries, lots of fruitiness. Slight brett?

T: Exceptional. Very complex with sourness and cherry melding into an almost wine like quality. Finished dry with a lingering sweetness. Malt character is also perceivable in a biscuit like quality.

M: Well carbonated and slightly lighter body make this go down very easy.

O: A+ Worth 25 bucks....

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

375mL mini-magnum with a simple blue label marked "batch 001" and "barrel-aged one year." I'm giving extra appearance points for the coolness of this bottle, which is enough to legitimately add to the drinking experience.

Pours cloudy gold with fine, brisk carbonation and a half finger head and quite a bit of lacing. Aside from the cloudiness and the head, this beer is indistinguishable from a fine champagne.

The nose is impossibly complex. A drop of acetic acid and just a shade of barnyardy Brett. Distinct winey and cidery notes are clearly present, along with some phenols. Absolutely no malt, hops, or anything to otherwise suggest that this is beer.

The flavor includes everything in the nose, but in different percentages and with a few surprises. The Brett is in the background now, with the brisk, refreshing sourness, winey flavors, berries, and sour cherries in the forefront. Finishes with a snap of fruity sourness.

The palate is lively, with loads of fine carbonation and mouth-puckering sourness.

How's this for drinkability? I could easily drink ten bottles a day, every day for the rest of my life.

This beer is a masterpiece.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Poured a brown color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is a nose full of sour cherries

T - This is awesome tasting just like it smells lots of tart sour cherries

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - After drinking a few different bottles I think this is one my favorite beers to drink now ignore the price and get your hands on a bottle or two

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Appears a light brown/amber color with a fairly thick white head.

Smells like tart cherries there is also a sweet floral aroma. A damp wood smell and citrus smell is noticeable. The smell is very complex and is loaded with some many different smells it hard to note them all.

Tastes at first of tart cherries with a tad bit of a lemon rind taste. It progresses to a wood like flavor and a bit of cherry sweetness. There are musty and funky overtones. There are a lot of complex flavors mingling in this. It is very sour but has other flavors present as well.

Often times I find sour ales to be one dimensional but this ale has a lot of stuff going on. This is the best sour I have had. The carbonation is moderate low and light.

This is a really easy beer to drink and is flavorful but it did wreck my palate. This is deserving of the hype it has.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Wow, another fantastic brew from Russian River. Pours a hazy orangish brown with a creamt light beige head. Good lacing.

The nose has the usual tart fruits over subtle malts, musky oak, red wine and ripe mountain cherries.

Taste also has a near perfect blend between the sweet, sour and funky flavors. The cherries and wine barrels are a very nice addition to this ale.

Crisp body and delicate carbonation fit the style perfectly. Like I said, another artisinal creation from Vinnie.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Brinking a Supp Batch 9. Ok, I am spoiled by living in Europe for the past few years and having visited the Lambic region in Belgium many times. This is a great beer, no doubt, and I love it, but there are many out there that have a lessor rating that could and should be rated better. Many from the Lambic region that are pretty obscure (not going to list any plugs for other beers on this Supplication review).

A: Deep ruby-brown hued with a golden amber tone! Looks so delish!! Nice one finger head.

S: Sour and bitter...really nice! The cherries (big time sour cherries!!!) and pinot noir are in there with an awesome balance of fruity flavors! Nice!

T: Wow! so nice. Love the sour notes and the cherries and the oak and pinot background notes. Now I know why this beer is rated a 99!

M: Smooth and bitterly sweet...really nice!

O: Worthy. I like it a lot. Really coming on board with RR wild ales and this one did not disappoint! Simply put...wow.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle batch 004x1 purchased at Capone's last week.
Poured into an oversized wine glass. Great copper color with a minimal beige head that didn't last long. Minor lacing down the glass. Smells great, big burst of cherries, wood and some funkiness. The taste is where this beer really shines in my book. It's dominated by cherries with a great sourness but nothing over the top. Very, very delicious beer. I felt like I was flying through this beer so I had to slow myself down to really enjoy it. Mouthfeel is excellent as well. The carbonation is spot on and it has a sort of champagne quality that coast your tongue. Drinkability is off the charts in my opinion. Feel like I could sip on this all day long. Temptation and consecration were very good but I think supplication is my favorite of the 3. I will get more, highly recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a cloudy orange tea color with a thick stiff foamy white head that resists fading, leaving a huge amount of Belgian lacing, some 3D. The smell is aggressive, complex and fruity classic Bing cherries down to the unique tart character. The aroma also has a sweetness that i want to associate with malt but with a creamy vanilla note that i sense may be from the barrel aging. Full flavored, the tart cherry character is intense without being offensive and in fact is exceptional. Visibly effervescent, the mouth feel finishes clean and dry. This is the most drinkable sour that I've experienced...right up there with Brute and LeBleu. The depth of the flavors and aroma of this one exceeds the other two. Really glad that I had the opportunity to consider it!

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to brent56k for the opportunity. Batch 003.

A: Poured a golden copperish color. Very different than the other wild ales I have had from Russian River. Reminds me of Tornado 20th but a few shades lighter. Poured with a 1/2 finger of white head. Good head retention especially for the style.

S: Nice mix of funk/ sweetness and cherries. The funk is subtle but definitely there. The horse blanket is in the way back but it is there.

T: The tartness is caught right on the front of your tongue. Totally up front. Almost like a sweet tart. Little bit of sweetness from the cherries after that. I wouldn't say it is balanced but it is enjoyable. This is nice and tart but more balanced than Beatification I would say.

M: Little bit thicker than other wild ales I have had. Probaly a result of this starting out as a brown ale. Carbonated well.

D: God damn it. Why can't beers like this be on the shelves of the store. That being said this is a treat. The cherries and the fact that it was a brown ale blend everything nicely. A good starter for someone wanting to try a wild ale. I find that Russian River nails that tart sourness better than just about everyone.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Batch 006x2 When this arrived I had to force myself to wait and let it settle from its airplane ride. The anticipation was almost to much to bear. Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale glass holds the whole bottle.

Appearance - This one is for me and me alone. The color of the liquid is deep amber almost the color of a cherry wood stain.

Smell - The smell is funky, with a hint of woody undertones. You can smell the cherries. They are in the background, but they are there. The smell is adding to the anticipation.

Taste - First you are hit with the sour taste. It hits immediately, however it dissipates quickly. That funky taste one comes to expect flashes in the palate competing with the sour. Oh how I love this competition. There is no vinegar after taste that I have come accustom to when trying beers of this style. The cherry is late to the party and highly welcomed. Five minutes in and I am still tasting cherries! While I smelled wood, I can not taste it. The pinot noir is lost in my opinion, however maybe I would long for it if the beer were aged in something different.

Mouthfeel - This is sour but not a pucker your lips I do not want it again sour. The carbonation helps with this I think. The beer is definitely alive with carbonation. The beer plays across my tongue. I belched on the third sip! That makes it a real beer in my opinion! I think maybe another California brewery might want to take a field trip and get some pointers. I love the mouthfeel!

Overall - Oh where have you been all my life. Now, I have a ways to go in terms of Wilds, Lambics, and Guezes. I have had several in my time. I still need to try all sorts of beers yet to qualify as some sort of sour expert. However, with that written, I must state this plainly as I can. This is the best Wild Ale I have ever had and one of the top 5 beers I have ever had.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

One of the best sours out there. Great beer. Temptation is my favorite of the line but this one is very amazing. Perfect sour with a little bit of funk like the old world sours. To many of the American sours are just sour and miss a lot of the funky barnyard flavor that a sour should have. If this beer is ever available. Don't think twice.

Poured from a 375 ml into a la chouffe tulip - bottle 04x1

Appearance - Beautiful deep amber with nice head that leaves a beautiful lacing with decent retention.

Smell - ohhh - tart dark fruits grape, licorice, cherry a bit of a sour funkiness to it - man this is exciting...

Taste - man that is some sour deliciousness. Just read the back of the bottle and the strong grape and cherry tones make a lot of sense now. Sour cherry, grape, deep fruitiness with hints of oak that I perceived as roastiness for a split second - followed with a potent funk from the bret et al. ending in a very pleasant dry tartness. Much more complexity that I cannot put my finger on. Can't wait to review with increased tasting abilities.

Exceptional beer - seriously fantastic. I have fallen off the deep end into a deep love of well brewed sour beers. Wow this is good.

4.81/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 4/11/13
Poured in a standard tulip glass.

Appearance: (4.75)
Pours a hazy light amber/orange with lovely peach highlights throughout the body. A small, finger tall, off white cap of a head quickly forms and falls leaving no lacing behind. Which is to be expected of a barrel aged sour ale. The body is gorgeous.

Aroma: (4.75)
A blast of tart cherries up front, which are positively drenched in some lovely barnyard funk; Musty, dusty hay, leather, light tobacco. The initial blast of cherry seems to be a byproduct of lactobacillus, which are one of the souring bacteria that Russian River(as well as most other sour ale producers) uses in this beer, but underneath the tart and funk is a fabulous aroma that you can only get from fresh cherries. The cherries really add a great, fresh contrast to dusty Brettanomyces in the nose. The aroma is bathed in a thick barrel character from the Pinot Noir barrels; mostly vanilla and slight, earthy pepperiness. A faint, malty sweetness lingers in the background.

Taste: (4.75)
Bright, juicy and sour lemon attacks your palate immediately with ripe, tart cherry skins soon to follow. Like the nose, the aggressive sourness is clothed in this musty, dusty barnyard funkiness. Middle of the mouth is when the fresh cherries really come out to play in conjunction with lightly bready malt backbone. The beer finishes VERY dry and sour with lingering notes of sour cherries, bitter lemon peel and a light tannin presence. The barrel comes out more and more as the beer starts to warm; notes of vanilla, cherries and a generic pepperiness.

Mouthfeel: (4.75)
Fully bodied with an interesting creaminess. High carbonation.

Overall: (4.75)

This doesn't become the highest ranked 'American Wild Ale' on Beeradvocate.com without good reason. This beer is absolutely awesome and extremely ahead of its time(for American Craft Beer) when it first came out in the early 2000's. This beer is awesome, and do to it's extreme sourness, I can only recommend it to seasoned sour fanatics.

4.81/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

new style for me really, haven't had many sour beers. this thing really spoke to me. lot of sour cherry. aroma had sort of a funky note but it wasn't offensive. it wasn't a particularly fruity or tart smelling beer. only had a 6 oz glass and wanted t much more

4.81/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle to a new Belgium globe glass.

A golden color with pink-ish hue and a long lasting head that is also pink-ish. A lot of sediment settles to the bottom of the glass.

First smell during the pour is overwhelming bananas. In the glass it's horse blanket, cherry, and a woody smell from the barrel.

Taste is instant sour, that easily slides to a sweetness for a dry finish. There's a lot of wood in the middle. More than I can describe, but really great. Probably the best sour I've ever had. Medium bodied and dry, yet still leaves a bit of a syrupy coating on the tongue.

Overall a fantastic beer. Try it if you have the opportunity.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance – This one is a bright orange in color and very cloudy with a moderate head that went down rather quickly as is typical of the style. The liquid though just lit up the room.

Smell – The big malted notes and controlled sourness are in perfect balance at the nose. I am amazed at how exactly even the balance here is between the malts and sour fruits. The cherries are most dominant I think but there are lots of other sweets in here.

Taste – The brown malts here are just gorgeous. I just love the wonderful Belgian lightly-toasted malts and how they played with the sourness of this ale. The sour flavors are extremely refined. This is not a hurtful sourness or something meant to knock you off your barstool. This is a sour flavor, mated equally with the malt, to encourage a broader acceptance of this style.

The fruits are exciting and, again, could be appreciated by those unfamiliar with this style not commonly found here in the US. The cherries are the most prominent, but I can pick up a diverse sugary complexity that consists mostly of citrus and darkish fruits like dark berries.

The lambic nature of this ale is unmistakable. This is like a great raw lambic with incredible smoothness mated to big Belgian malts and some nice fruits.

Mouthfeel – This one is medium-bodied with some comfortable sourness in the mouth and a light bitterness at the very end. Even the finish is balanced.

Drinkability – This is the first sour Belgian Ale that I wanted to drink all night. I really had a hard time finding fault with this Russian River offering.

Comments – This was an “early preview” of Vinnie’s next batch that will condition in the bottle for another nine months or so prior to release. I’m not sure how much better this one can get, but I want to thank the brewmaster for sharing this wonderful sour ale with me, my wife, and rapopoda who was also in town for barrel-tasting weekend.

One more note. I’m hesitant to send in a change of style request since I am certainly no expert on Belgian sour ales, but the big malt here makes me think that this is more of a brown (Oud Bruin) than a red. However, this is aged in oak (old pinot noir barrels), so who knows.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

I was lucky enough to try this on tap.

Rusty amber color without much head.

Floral and bretty notes with wonderful cherry notes.

Taste is sour cherries, subtle vanilla, and pinot noir.

Mouthfeel is where it really blows up. It's a medium mouthfeel that finishes acidic with superb dry, red wine tannins.

Probably not really drinkable for a lot of people considering how sour and dry it is. For me, bring it by the pitcher.

batch 005X2

A - pours a deep reddish brown with only half a finger of persistant head (though I poured it a bit slowly to keep yeast sediment in the bottle).

S - Cherries are initially prevalent, giving way to hints of oak, a bit of funk and sour apple. This smells fantastic.

T - Very tart, acidic cherry and oak tannins come through and dry the palate; some sour apple and mustiness as well. A wonderful blend of flavors. I'm really enjoying this.

M - Medium mouthfeel with great carbonation. This is lively, tart and drying on the palate.

D - Definitely one to sip slowly and enjoy. Makes me want to travel to California more often.

"Batch Number 001"

375ml bottle

Hazy, peachy coppery bronze in hue with an amber highlight; the liquid is lovely, it has great color intensity. Off-white head, at the apex the foam was almost one finger high. The bubbles quickly faded to a thin, soapy cap and then a slim collar. There wasn’t any subsequent lacing of note, just a couple spots of residue, what a pity. I do like how this beer looks; it is eye-catching but not jaw-dropping.

The nose starts off vibrant, it is very tart. Sour cherries and hints of crabapples are the strongest aromas. Acidic, funky Brett notes, I also smell old wood. I guess it is the barnyard and barn I smell! There is even a smattering of vinegar at the back. The malt base meekly shows itself but clearly the lacto/wood/Brett/cherry combination is the show stealer. Moderate potency, the nose is complex, there is a great frame to the bouquet but it seems kind of skinny. In other words, the nose could fill in a little. With that said, the aromas that are present are great. Truly inviting, it is mouthwatering good. It is almost perfection.

Wow. It first the cherries are sweet and quite lovely. Next the malt shines, it tastes like a Brune for a moment. At this point the palate is very good. But, in the middle, oh my… the tart, acidic cherries and vinous note emerges. By the finish are flavors of wood, leather, horse blanket, horsehair, crabapples, old orange peels, sour cherries, oak, and sharp acidity. I am truly impressed at the depth and complexity of the palate. Nothing smashed my tongue with a sledgehammer but everything played my tastebuds like an orchestra. It was a beery symphony. The aftertaste is a tug-of-war between sweet malt/cherries and sour cherries/Brett. I am the winner of this epic struggle. This is an amazing beer that my words could not pay it justice.

Medium in body but this matters little with the mouthfeel. I can’t think of many beers where the body is so irrelevant. The mouthfeel is all about the low, fizzy and soothing carbonation and the super refreshing acidity. Somehow – I don’t really understand why – the mouthfeel is absolute perfect for this beer. It is amazing because there is nothing to it, just a soft body, a few bubbles and some sourness. It must be voodoo.

Give me funky cheese, some grapes, some apples, some more bottles of this nectar and a glass. Astonishingly drinkable, this beer is so simple but so complex. It is genius. The warmer the beer became the sweeter and more luscious this beer turned out to be. If you love sour beers, you must try Supplication. I am happy I purchased a bottle online from RR, it was worth every cent. I highly recommended. Why did I wait so long to drink this gem!

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks again to ales4baldo for this awesome wild ale!
Poured from the bottle to a tulip glass.
Pours a nice deep redish brown with orange hues when up to the light. I got a one finger head from a pretty vigorous pour that then disappears to nothing with no lacing.
Nose is bright with fruit, candy sugars, tart apple, cranberry defiantly a little yeasty funk, and a hint of oak.
Flavor defiantly shows off the tart cherries. I get some nice sour apple, and cranberry but it has an interesting fresh fruit juice in the middle. I can defiantly pick up on some oak.
Mouthfeel is pretty nice, almost a cider like feel with a medium high level of carbonation. I defiantly get a nice lingering bitterness and tartness.
Overall an awesome brew. Really complex but very well balanced. I Love a good sour and this has topped them all so far!
Thanks Baldo!

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

375ml bottle, batch 04X1. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a very dark orange-brown with a thick and creamy off-white head that never fully dissipates. Leaves sudsy lacing as it recedes. Very pretty!
S - Excellent aromas of tart cherries, oak, caramel malt, and funky microbial tartness. It's tough to really make out individual aromas, this is more of a heavenly marriage between all the best Lambics, Krieks, and Flanders Reds.
T - Wow, you know how I said this smelled like some kind of blend of Lambic, Kriek, and Flanders Red? It tastes exactly the same! Cherries, oak, brown sugar, tobacco, caramel, red wine, and funk with just the right amount of tartness. Amazingly complex, this could be a deserted-island beer!
M - Quite slick, with a medium body and crisp, sharp carbonation. Nicely dry and tannic finish, much like a red wine.
O - Well, what more can I say? This was an amazing beer, easily one of the most flavorful, complex, and nuanced I've ever had. Another home run from Russian River!

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: A dark Ruby in light and out of light it has a very brown copper look to it.

S: Cherries,oak, wine,biscuit among others

T: Tart with tons of cherries that follows with sweet bread malts and the Funk! on the back side

F: Light to Medium body, crisp bubbles

O: im a big fan of this beer/wine or wine/beer. whatever it is its good. Love the after taste and licking my lips after every sip to get that last little bit of tart sweetness. best I have had in class

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

This bottle is from batch 002.

Appearance: Deep, dark transparent red with a small blanket of foam that fades into a ring pretty quickly.

Aroma: Lactic sourness with a hint of sweetness. Unripened cherries and slight funk. The wine barrel becomes more noticeable as it warms. Outstanding.

Taste: Cherries and raspberries, oaky tannins, just a touch of sweetness. The dry finish really brings out the wine barrel flavors.

Mouthfeel: Moderate acidity. Medium-to-light bodied, but the tart quality of the ale gives it a refreshing quality. Gentle carbonation.

Drinkability: Normally such an acidic beer would keep the drinkability fairly low for me, but this is so good that I honestly don't mind it.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company