Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,618
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,393 | Hads: 5,781
4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

So I finally get to try some Supplication. After having the Beatification last night, I decided to pop this one right after it to see how it was. Batch 003, I grabbed this one right out of the fridge and poured it into a Chimay chalice and allowed it to warm up a touch before deciding to go in for the kill. Huge pop on this one, I probably could have shot the cork across the room! Fantastic looking 375ml bottle, with a nice cork and cage to it in typical Russian River fashion.

Appearance - Poured a very nice looking bright, golden, amber color right out of the gate. A very nice, and slightly hazy looking consistency to it, I did notice copious amounts of bubbles coming up through it, throughout the session. This was a really a very full looking beer already. A gorgeous looking head of about two fingers in height rose up off the top and stayed FOREVER. I actually had to walk in the other room and take care of my son for about ten minutes and came back and it was still there, I was amazed! Thick, and coating side glass lace then trickled down the side of it and really just thickened up the whole thing. This was amazing looking, probably the best I could have ever envisioned it looking.

Smell - The aroma was very nice and tart. Huge aromas of Brett coming off of this immediately, turning the whole experience over to the funk that was in the glass, very nice to see. This was a little bit more sweet on the nose though then some of the other sours I have had, and after a few minutes, the cherries were very much detectable, with a dark sweetness about it. Very bright aroma, that really stuck out at you and welcomed you in. Some light woody aromas as well now as it gets a little warmer, this was turning out to be very nice indeed.

Taste - Ok, so here we go again. The first thing I notice, naturally would be the fully funked out Brett flavor coming through, though I have to admit it seems a little tamer then the Beatification I had last night. Still damn good in its own right though, but some of that deep, resonant sour taste, seems to be a little more tame that what I was expecting, A good bit of sweetness in here, balancing this one out a bit more. Nice notes of cherries riddled throughout this one. Very nice. After the initial wave of Brett, some soothing cherry sweetness rolls in behind it, with some nice tones of wood raveled in throughout as well. Really well blended, the aging is really coming into play here now. Very dry finish with the long lingering taste of sour Brett that as time fades, it does as well, but the zap of cherry sweetness lingered on long past everything else.

Mouthfeel - There was a very nice feel to this one. It came off a little bit fuller then some of the other sours I have had, with more of a rich feel, and loads of carbonation. Never a dull moment here, with a smooth texture, but yet still a crisp finish to it adding a bit of a refreshing touch to it.

Drinkability - This was superbly drinkable. The alcohol was never a factor, and with soo much yeast, I doubt you would ever be able to find it. Nice subtleness with the cherries was just enough to balance this so that you could have easily more then one. I was looking for another right away!

Overall I thought this was wonderful and well worth the price and the hassle to get it. These RR sours are unlike anything else made. It was truly unreal to see these develop and I am glad I have a few to lay down for a while. You really need to go out and get this one if you can find it, it is definitely worth it!

4.18/5  rDev -7.1%

Didn't really pay attention to the batch number...but it's the most recent one..just got delivered from RR last Thursday.

A: Nice hazy reddish orange, fairly interesting color. It almost makes me think of tomato juice (if it were less pulpy). Fluffy head, about a one-finger retention.

S: Strong sour smell-I note sour cherries and the typical citric acid smell of brett beers.

T: Lemony citric acid flavor dominates at first, which I've found is pretty typical for the style. Still, even at first this is more subdued than some of the other sour beers I've had. Once I got used to this, the cherry really came out, along with a funky/woodsy taste. This just got better and better as I drank it with the nuances really coming out by the end of the glass.

MF: Pretty mellow carbonation, a good thing since this doesn't really need any more bite. Not quite mouth-puckering, but it gets the salivary glands working. Syrupy, full, and extremely dry finish. Alcohol is noticable, and by the end it had hit me a bit, but it's not that strong.

O: Best sour beer I've had to date (not that I've had a ton). Very drinkable once you get over the initial shock. I don't know if this will ever be a style that I just love, but this was surely worth the money. If this were more readily available, it would be something I'd try to keep on hand for when the mood struck me.

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

Batch 003 bottle, poured into a fluted tulip glass.

Coloration is a burnished orange, leaning into very light shades of brown. Fizzy, wild foam on the first pour that settles down eventually, but rekindles with a swirl.

Alternating aromas of wood and wet stone, then wild yeast spiciness, with the occasional cherry note.

Huge sour cherry and oak, great puckering feel. Lingering spice, cherry pits, flesh, and skins. Aftertaste lingers forever, which reminds you to savor and take your time. Sourness is strong, near traditional Lambic levels. Utterly quenching and satisfying, salivary glands work overtime. Basically Supplication has all the best elements of Flanders ales, turned up to eleven.

It reminds me of Oerbier Reserva, in the level of sourness, wood, and tart berry flavors. They are both aged in wine barrels, possibly a key connection.

Thanks to Weibull & drseamus, who traded me one of these last year.

4.48/5  rDev -0.4%

A: Pours a hazy red/orange color with a finger of foam. Active carbonation and solid lacing on the glass.

S: Cherries, some citrus, and some tartness.

T: Cherries! Sweet and sour cherries, with a bit of malt behind it. A hefty amount of tartness to it. Not hugely sour, but it's sour enough to make you notice. Damn good!

M: Active carbonation, bubbly, with a nice crisp finish.

D: This is an eminently drinkable brew. Huge flavor, and a great drinking experience. Well done.

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance - Redish orange color, creamy white head, very nice lacing, active carbonation

Smell - citrus, cherries, tartness

Taste - taste is very tart, a small bit of sweetness from the cherries, some oak flavors, very dry finish

Mouthfeel - creamy, high carbonation and a very dry finish

Drinkability - easy to drink for the style, very good, wish I had more of it

4.09/5  rDev -9.1%

A- Pours a deep sunset orange with a 1 finger, off white head.

S- Smells tart, cherries, sour funk. Theres a bit of an off smell here that is sort of sulfury. I like sour but the rogue smell really throws me.

T- Tastes sweet with light fruits that move into cherries. After that of course comes the sourness. None of the strange smell from the nose, incredibly well balanced.

M- A bit thicker than russian rivers other wild ales with quite a bit of carbonation.

D- This is another winner from RR. Well balanced, delicious, what more is there to say. Maybe not my favorite of the sours but it is certainly worth a try (or two).

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

Picked up a bottle today from South Bay Drugs and Liquor.

Batch 003.

Big pop! Lots of pressure but thankfully not a gusher. Pours a caramel color with some red overtones when held to the light. A frothy white head builds up to about two inches and settles to half within the minute. There are some lacing on the sides of the glass every time I take a sip.

Smell is great. Tart cherries with some wood, funk, sour apples, and pears. The malt is hiding in the background behind the fruitiness, tartness, and funk. Some toasted bread aromas begin to come through as it warms up.

Taste is of a lovely sour and slightly aggressive carbonation on the back of the tongue. It leaves a bit of a salty sensation on the palate and you can feel the acidity travel down to your stomach. It has a big apple taste upfront too and mixes well with the sour cherries. Some vinegar flavors near the finish and lots of sour lemons too. Lots of oak flavors and right now it seems to be suppressing the cherries. Would have scored higher on the taste if I could taste some more cherries.

Mouth-feel is aggressive and punishing with the sourness and carbonation. The fruit seems to come near the finish and in the after-taste. Not as aggressive on the tongue once it warms up but still quite sour.

I need to get some more of this stuff.

4.44/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 003 at the RR taproom

A: Cloudy, murky red/brown with a small white ring of bubbles.

S: Acidic, sour and fruity. Some cherry aroma on there, and a healthy portion of "biotics"

T: Sharp sour kick with some real sweet, cherry fruit and malt in the background. It's probably the least sour of the RR barrel aged beers, but it's still got a kick.

M: lively and silky and dry.

D: Very drinkable for the style. I could have a few before needing something sweet or some food.

Photo of
3.97/5  rDev -11.8%

375ml bottle

Hazy, orange/brown fluid. Modest, light tan head. Some sediment. Relatively still. Some legs, minimal lacing.

Scent is of cherries, and comes across as very tart. Complemented by citrus and acidic notes.

Taste is sour, but not dominatingly so. Reminds me of vitamin C tablets. Cherries snuck in there. Overall, very much like a dry, white wine. Touch of sweetness as I worked through it, grapes? Maybe the Pinot Noir barrel influence?

Medium body, at best. Carbonation is medium. Fairly dry.

I enjoyed this sour beer. Not my favorite style, but very tasty. An excellent change up from the hop trip I've been on. As a warning, stay away if you don't like tart flavors.

3.46/5  rDev -23.1%

Bottle shared by chadspivey
Pours a rosey amber color with no head. More pleasant nose than most any of the other sours I sampled on the same evening. Nose of sourness, like funk and some dark fruitines. Taste is very tart, mild sweetness, and some fruitiness. Very oaky flavor and some dry, sour cherries as well. Quite tart indeed, yet still pretty drinkable. I can see this being really good, if Sours were my thing.

3.68/5  rDev -18.2%

A: Amber red in color but slightly darker and cloudy, good head to start and stuck around for a while.

S: Very simple, sour cherries and yeast.

T: Over powering sour cherries that needs sugar to calm the sour down. The flavors actually climbed up inside my nose and would not leave for quite some time.

M/D: Sour and hard to drink because of the lock jaw that ensued. I appreciate what the brewer was trying to do and that was create an amazingly sour beer for those who love sour like my wife but this intensity was a little to much for me. I will be having it again since my wife loves this one.

4.22/5  rDev -6.2%

375ml bottle thanks to chadspivey

Reddish amber color with decent spotty head for the style.

Intense Sweet Tart aroma. Sour candy. Generic fruit.

Really extreme tartness, not as sweet as the nose. Generic sweet & sour fruity candy flavors ala Spree or Sweet Tarts, maybe cherry stands out a bt.

Nice and refreshing. Great example of RR wild ale.

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to JeffKenner for the chance to try this.

A- Poured from a 325ml bottle noted Batch #002 into a snifter. Pours a reddish-brown with no head just some small bubbles piled up on the side of the glass. This is a very hazy beer also.

S- Definite funk/sour in the nose. Not over-powering but very nice to me. I get cherries, melon, and apple. You know for sure you are in for a sour and tangy treat.

T- Apples at first followed by a sour cherry flavor. There is a pedio/lacto sourness throughout. This sour stays in your mouth and amplifies the other flavors. I don't taste an over strong acetobactor flavor in this. Vinnie has really kept the good bugs in and the bad ones out.

M- Incredible. Great natural carbonation with a very creamy mouthfeel. This really sticks around in your mouth but not to the point of being overly sweet or sour.

D- I could drink this all night. I really like this beer. If I was to be perfectly honest, I didn't like cherry flavor only a few months ago. I have really begun to enjoy cherry flavor in beer. This is an incredible beer. I wish I had a case!

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Purchased at Union Jacks Inn on the Manatawny, enjoyed at home in a tulip glass, just like instructed on the cork. Batch 002.

Pours a hazy copper with pink hues with fizzy beige head, little retention and spotty lacing. Smells of sour cherry, citrus zest, caramel, bread, yeast, and red wine. Taste is very tart with lots of sour cherry presence. Beyond that there is a taste of grapes, caramel, oak, brown sugar, and a musty funk. Medium-light in body with good carbonation and lots of tartness and an acidic balance. With a good amount of tart and sour flavors it isn't a beer for everyone, but it is certainly different and at least worth a try. A very unique brew that I wish I had more bottles of. Certainly not sessionable, but nice for a change every so often, especially for dessert.

3.53/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a tan amber red, with a thin white head. Smell is a mix of sour fruit with musty funk, taste is more of the same. The beer has a good malt sweetness that comes through a little, but the taste is overall dominated by the tartness. A good beer, but not for all occassions.

4.64/5  rDev +3.1%

I drank this at an "Art of Refermentation" beer tasting hosted by Garrett Oliver at the National Geographic.

These are my tasting notes:

This was the first tart beer which I really appreciated. It had a tart cheery flavor in the mouth. A very good beer.

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Received from jgaston as part of my BC2 package. Thanks!
Deep, burnt reddish orange with a light haze and short-lived foam. The colour was really gorgeous! The aroma was very earthy and woody, juicy cherry, delicate red grapes, a bit vinous, fruity, with tart berry. Mouthwatering tartness in the flavour with a very light acidic character, sour cherry and vinous, raspberry, woody and oaky. Perhaps a hint of funk. Medium to light bodied with a bit of residual sugar present - still some dryness though. Mild warmth in the finish. This stuff is super tasty! Highly drinkable and a great accompaniment to dinner. I'm glad I have another bottle, but I'd love to have more.

Batch 002; Sampled January 2008
A careful, persistent pour yields a fat-one-finger thick, dingy, tan colored head. The beer is a brilliantly clear, light cherry red color. Tart aromatics of acetic acid, lactic acid and moldy cheese are the first thing I notice in the nose. Quite fruity, but it is a sort of non-descript, perhaps berry-like, sweet fruitiness. The barrel character is present, but held well in check by the other aromatic components; touches of vanillin, a backdrop of spicy oak, some hints of butterscotch around the edges and a tannic character that is definitely noticed. The nose is quite funky, teetering on the edge of being off; over-ripe cheese, penicillin and buttery oak notes all contribute to this. Compared to a Lambic, this has quite a bit of acetic acid character to it, which is something I always enjoy if kept to a reasonable level.

Tart tasting, in fact very tart tasting; this is a nice mix of lactic and acetic notes. The lactic acid is the more prevalent not, but I am not sure that the lesser amount of acetic acid is not the most noticed part of the acidity. Flavors of tart cherries, tamarind and star fruit are all noticeable in this exceedingly dry beer. The body actually has a bit of heft to it though, which should be attributed to the barrel contribution and touches of residual malt character. Dry cherry notes, rich (though diluted) balsamic character, . A tannic, tongue coating note in the finish adds spicy almost piquant oak flavors that coat the tongue in a long finish. The barrel adds notes of buttery oak, spicy wood, some soft, creamy vanillin and probably even some berry flavors (assuming that the noticed berry flavors are coming from the Pinot Noir part of the barrel). As the beer warms it really starts to come into its own; the fruit & malt seem to balance the sour notes all that much more and make this even more enjoyable.

This is quite a bit more acetic in character than batch one. This is actually quite hard for a red / brown styled sour beer. An aggressive, but enjoyable, experience if you are into that sort of thing. I like that the oak character is much more integrated (though it still plays a significant role) than it was in batch one, but it still has a little ways to go before it hits that perfect balance between malt and funk / oak. This is still a fantastic beer, but I can't wait to see if Vinnie can dial this in a bit more over the next couple batches.

Batch 001; Sampled July 2005
4/4.5/5/4/5 total=4.6
Pours a hazy ruby red color when held up to the light, an amber color otherwise. The head is thin and tan in color. The aroma is dominated by a fresh oakiness, but, especially when I was pouring this, there is a nice acetic acid note to this that reminds me of a Rodenbach. The nose has notes of buttery oak, hints of cherries, balsamic, and a certain tannic woodiness. The aroma is quite well integrated with a great balance to it, though it does lean toward the acidity, which I am partial to.

The taste is fairly dry, much drier than the pasteurized Flemish beers, but still strikes a malty balance with a bit of caramel complexity to it. The finish is pleasingly acidic, with a leaning towards the acetic side of things. This beer is really well done, I am quite impressed, this is quite a bit farther along than the temptation. The finish has notes of a tannic woodiness, plus a long sour note that lingers along with the woodiness. This beer certainly reminds me of cherries, with a nice fruitiness to it. The more I drink it the more I become enamored of this beer, an authentic Flemish style sour beer that has not been pasteurized. This is quite a bit better, and much more balanced than New Belgium's La Folie. There is a wonderful interplay between the oak, maltiness, and acid character; this is superb and I can't wait to get more vintages of this.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Batch 002. Sampled 7-6-07.

Pours a clouded reddish amber. Nose is a beautiful antiseptic funk. Flavor is outstanding. Crisp woody character with wild, barrel aged goodness. Outstanding. Feel is smooth on liquid. Great level of carbonation. For f**ks sake is this drinkable. Obviously a work of art.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

Great offering from Russian River.

A - Good orange / amber hued beer with a thin white head quickly dissipating

S - Good sourness here with a underlying depth. Not as snappy as some other wild ales

T - Very tasty brew. You can taste the depth that comes from the oak aging, and the slight cherrry tartness is very complimentary to the sourness of the Brett.

M - Crisp, tart mouth feel with good carbonation

D - Could drink this consistently, if it weren't made in CA and not the easiest to get around me. This may not be the best sour beer that I have had, but certainly highly drinkable an a great offering from RR

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz. blue bottle, batch 002, bought at ABC Liquor in Long Beach, CA, on December 10th, 2007,

A: Pours a murky brown, but with a thick, nice, white head that leaves good retention until the beer is drunk, nice lacing there as well, but not a 5.

S: Complex - Brown ale malt, sour cherries - kind of a Warheads/Sour Patch kids smell, but not artificial, real cherries, also balsamic vinegar, tart apples, strawberry, horse blankets and funk, with a hint of gouda or cheddar cheese, red apple peel as well. Possibly the most fragrant, beautiful smelling beer I have ever had.

T: Just as complex as the smell. Tartness and sour cherries at first sip, then the grape skins come in. The pinot noir and barnyard character is there throughout, there is also a light taste of grass and wood, wet hay as well. Once the beer is in your mouth for a couple of seconds, there is this funky hit that is just to die for. Truly fantastic and a brewing work of art.

M: Smooth, acidic, and tart, but it just melts across the tongue at a perfect pH, sublime, definitely has a cidery character to it.

D: This is definitely one of the best beers that I have ever had. I had had it once before when it was first released in stores here in SoCal a few months ago and really liked it, but this time wow. It's so easy to drink, I could have drank it in like 20 minutes, but I milked it for a couple of hours while watching the Santa Clause because it's so damn good. An extraordinary beer, couldn't recommend it more, go buy it, it's worth the price, even if it is about a dollar an ounce.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased at Union Jack's in Glenside, PA. Poured ruby read with a touch of brown. Small, quickly disappating head. Thin lacing. Slightly cloudy. Smells of cherries, pungently. Some alcohol on the nose too. Taste is of tart cherries with an earthy sweetness below. Sour, puckeringly delicious malt. As it warms, the cherries soften, or at least become less tart, and some oak and more sour malt come through wonderfully. The finish has some hints of vanilla, which add more depth to the overall flavor. Medium bodied and somewhat sticky. A nice-drinking wild ale that demands to be savored. So many subtle flavors and odors make every sip a treat. A wonderous beer creation.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy burned orange/caramel with a white head that dies completely. Smells of huge sourness, a little cherry and oak as an afterthought. Taste starts out mild then BAM, huge rush of tarty goodness. You want to pucker its so sour. Finally mellows out with the oak and cherry peaking through. Medium in the mouth and a tickle of either carbonation or the tartness giving its finishing move. You want to sip this because larger samplings at a time would be a waste. A very tasty and different libation.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Finally got around to drinking this... what an amazing beer.

Poured into a tulip glass, and that was the last time the beer would even mildly disappoint. A hazy light amber/brown (burnt sienna, we'll say) with a thin, waif-y head that disappears quickly. It looks fine, but if I wasn't sneaking glances back over at the bottle I wouldn't know quite what a treat I was in for.

The aroma is stunning. Sharp cherry tartness and other ripe fruit on a malty backbone with a distinct funk.

And it tastes even better... I was splitting this bottle with my girlfriend (damn my generous ways!) and it was all I could do not to gulp this down. Clean, crisp, refreshing! The funky sourness gives an awesome bite that never completely overpowers (this doesn't reach that "other" level of sourness achieved by, say, a nice geuze), and the cherry notes are carried high with the proper amount of sweetness, which isn't cloying or simple, but complex and full bodied, coats the tongue and lifts with an excellent level of carbonation. Oak-y astringency is just around the edges, rounding it off nicely. I couldn't be more pleased, particularly after Temptation set the bar so high. If I could afford to purchase by the case, I would.

Excessively drinkable, complex enough to handle a variety of duties in food pairing, you simply must try this beer. And Russian River simply must find a way to produce more of it.

3.76/5  rDev -16.4%

I split this bottle with Stopper. I am pouring a cellar temp bottle into a snifter. The beer is a huge gusher! Lots of spillage. ugh
The beer finally pours a cloudy ochre color with minimal beige head. Aroma is funky, musty, and some oak and tart cherry as well. First sip reveals a light body with almost no carbonation. The texture is a little thin to watery. Flavor is as expected with caramel and tart cherry, some wooden notes and a fairly dry earthy and vinous finish. Not a bad beer after the initial gusher, but not my favorite sour brew either.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company