Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,523
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,350 | Hads: 5,572
4.27/5  rDev -4.7%

On the nose with cherries, literally. Fragrant cherry aroma hit me immediately. Reminds me of cherry sweet tarts or smarties . Looks great in my Duvel glass, perfect lacing and nice head. Taste is more tart than sour with slight notes of cherry chloraseptic, but not in a bad way, must be the Brett. As it warms, noticeable oak, well balanced. Drinkable? As much as any 12.7 ounce $15 "if you can get it at that price" beer can be. Kind of bummer that it is not more affordable and available. Would love for it to have a chance to grow on me more and perhaps share a little with the wife. Very unique! (601 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Purchased a couple of bottles on line. Glad that I did.

A- Pours a murky, dull coppery orange with a brief appearance of a thin white head. Minimal lacing

S- Some tangy, funky sourness. Able to pick up the woodiness easily. Some medicinal phenols in there.

T- Bright tanginess. Man, some great sourness on my palate. I do appreciate the sour cherries, but they don't jump out "cherries" to me. Mellow woodiness. Some bright citrus at the end.

M- Smooth, with beautiful tanginess. Lively bubbles, gets my salivary glands working.

D- Now while I love this unique RR offering, it has to be in the right setting. This needs to be paired with food, or enjoyed as you would a liquor. I would love to have multiple of these on hand to drink on a whim. (749 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

Batch 002. Sam from the Stuffed Sandwich was nice enough to sell this to me.

A - The beer pours with a rich foamy head. The color is a light red to amber. Head disipates to a skim of white foam leaving a little lace

S - The beer smells of sour cherries. This would make the brewers of Rodenbach blush.

T - More sour cherries. I also taste the oak barrel. Incredibly balanced.

M - Well carbonated, medium bodied, very dry finish.

D - Incredibly drinkable. This is probably Russian River's most balanced beer. If you can find it, buy it and drink it. (554 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%

Bought these on-line from Russian River and was generously sent to me by 0110x011. I love Russian River and I especially love these sour wild ales. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip. Batch 003.

Appearance- Pours a sunset orangeish pink with a nice big two finger bright white head. The head doesn't leave, ever, and the lacing that is left is bewildering thick and coating.
Smell- Mildly sour and tart with that fantastic yeasty wildness. Feint funk that isn't over the top like some of these can be (definitely not saying that in a bad way) and twinges of bright zesty citrus. The cherries are easily detectable and probably the focal point of the nose. A sort of metallic like sensation is given off; reminiscent of the sensation you get when smelling blood or rusted iron. Beautiful nose!
Taste- Beautifully sour and lactic but not puckering or vinegary. The Brett has done its job well on this one but I don't know how it doesn't have that sour lingering tartness that can sometimes make these brews hard to drink more than one. The cherries are sour and raw with a very fresh vibrant taste. The oak woodiness isn't as prominent as I expected but this brew has more acidic wine character than the others like it I've tried. Apparently the pinot noir has really worked its way into this one. Lightly funky and dank this brew is everything I could want in a wild ale. The aftertaste lingers with sweet twang that is lighty vanilla, lightly cherry.
Mouthfeel- Very sharp aggressive carbonation with a fairly hefty body and a dry quenching finish.
Drinkability- This is one of those brews that I could easily enjoy daily and probably not get sick of it. The sourness isn't over the top but it's prevalent enough to satisfy that sour tooth that I've acquired as of late. Terrifically balanced and funky I think this is a absolutely brilliant brew that must be tried! Big thanks to Matt for sending this my way! (1,917 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2%

Amber with some off white fizz. Tart, yeasty aroma. Begins with a sharp, prickly tartness and lively, acidic fruit over some bread and yeast. Mellows out quickly and layers of lean red fruit come through, with a lot of musty, earthy undertones. Barnyard, straw and wood notes add complexity. Cherry flavors are lean and subtle, but add some red fruit acidity. Mouthfeel is medium/light and a bit creamy. Complexities evolve as it warms, leaning toward juicier red fruit towards the end, with some semi dry sherry flavors. Finish is creamy and dry. Very very nice. As top notch as this is I think its a bit pricey. For $14 it should be a 750. (641 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 003 poured into Delirum Tremens snifter. Poured a golden amber color with slight off white head that was at least 2 fingers thick. After minutes stil an active head with great lacing. Smell is sweet bread, a slight musty brett funk, a slight phenolic smell. Taste is sour cherries some spice, a little creamy buttery nut like flavor, and slight acidic bite. Mouthfeel medium body brew is on the dry side with a little malt sweetness to round out the feel. Carbonation is a perfect moderate level that makes this beer a light refreshing sour with a nice tart balance. (572 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Batch 003 poured into a Allagash chalice

A - Big white foamy head. Nice reddish amber color. Head disipates to a skim of white foam leaving a little lace

S - Tart cherries, citrus, sour. Maybe a bit of strawberry?

T - Sour/tart cherries. Slight oakiness with a dry finish. Just enough sweetness. Sourness lingers.

M - Active carbo, medium bodied with a dry finish

D - Fairly easy drinking for the style. (408 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

So I finally get to try some Supplication. After having the Beatification last night, I decided to pop this one right after it to see how it was. Batch 003, I grabbed this one right out of the fridge and poured it into a Chimay chalice and allowed it to warm up a touch before deciding to go in for the kill. Huge pop on this one, I probably could have shot the cork across the room! Fantastic looking 375ml bottle, with a nice cork and cage to it in typical Russian River fashion.

Appearance - Poured a very nice looking bright, golden, amber color right out of the gate. A very nice, and slightly hazy looking consistency to it, I did notice copious amounts of bubbles coming up through it, throughout the session. This was a really a very full looking beer already. A gorgeous looking head of about two fingers in height rose up off the top and stayed FOREVER. I actually had to walk in the other room and take care of my son for about ten minutes and came back and it was still there, I was amazed! Thick, and coating side glass lace then trickled down the side of it and really just thickened up the whole thing. This was amazing looking, probably the best I could have ever envisioned it looking.

Smell - The aroma was very nice and tart. Huge aromas of Brett coming off of this immediately, turning the whole experience over to the funk that was in the glass, very nice to see. This was a little bit more sweet on the nose though then some of the other sours I have had, and after a few minutes, the cherries were very much detectable, with a dark sweetness about it. Very bright aroma, that really stuck out at you and welcomed you in. Some light woody aromas as well now as it gets a little warmer, this was turning out to be very nice indeed.

Taste - Ok, so here we go again. The first thing I notice, naturally would be the fully funked out Brett flavor coming through, though I have to admit it seems a little tamer then the Beatification I had last night. Still damn good in its own right though, but some of that deep, resonant sour taste, seems to be a little more tame that what I was expecting, A good bit of sweetness in here, balancing this one out a bit more. Nice notes of cherries riddled throughout this one. Very nice. After the initial wave of Brett, some soothing cherry sweetness rolls in behind it, with some nice tones of wood raveled in throughout as well. Really well blended, the aging is really coming into play here now. Very dry finish with the long lingering taste of sour Brett that as time fades, it does as well, but the zap of cherry sweetness lingered on long past everything else.

Mouthfeel - There was a very nice feel to this one. It came off a little bit fuller then some of the other sours I have had, with more of a rich feel, and loads of carbonation. Never a dull moment here, with a smooth texture, but yet still a crisp finish to it adding a bit of a refreshing touch to it.

Drinkability - This was superbly drinkable. The alcohol was never a factor, and with soo much yeast, I doubt you would ever be able to find it. Nice subtleness with the cherries was just enough to balance this so that you could have easily more then one. I was looking for another right away!

Overall I thought this was wonderful and well worth the price and the hassle to get it. These RR sours are unlike anything else made. It was truly unreal to see these develop and I am glad I have a few to lay down for a while. You really need to go out and get this one if you can find it, it is definitely worth it! (3,541 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%

Didn't really pay attention to the batch number...but it's the most recent one..just got delivered from RR last Thursday.

A: Nice hazy reddish orange, fairly interesting color. It almost makes me think of tomato juice (if it were less pulpy). Fluffy head, about a one-finger retention.

S: Strong sour smell-I note sour cherries and the typical citric acid smell of brett beers.

T: Lemony citric acid flavor dominates at first, which I've found is pretty typical for the style. Still, even at first this is more subdued than some of the other sour beers I've had. Once I got used to this, the cherry really came out, along with a funky/woodsy taste. This just got better and better as I drank it with the nuances really coming out by the end of the glass.

MF: Pretty mellow carbonation, a good thing since this doesn't really need any more bite. Not quite mouth-puckering, but it gets the salivary glands working. Syrupy, full, and extremely dry finish. Alcohol is noticable, and by the end it had hit me a bit, but it's not that strong.

O: Best sour beer I've had to date (not that I've had a ton). Very drinkable once you get over the initial shock. I don't know if this will ever be a style that I just love, but this was surely worth the money. If this were more readily available, it would be something I'd try to keep on hand for when the mood struck me. (1,365 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Batch 003 bottle, poured into a fluted tulip glass.

Coloration is a burnished orange, leaning into very light shades of brown. Fizzy, wild foam on the first pour that settles down eventually, but rekindles with a swirl.

Alternating aromas of wood and wet stone, then wild yeast spiciness, with the occasional cherry note.

Huge sour cherry and oak, great puckering feel. Lingering spice, cherry pits, flesh, and skins. Aftertaste lingers forever, which reminds you to savor and take your time. Sourness is strong, near traditional Lambic levels. Utterly quenching and satisfying, salivary glands work overtime. Basically Supplication has all the best elements of Flanders ales, turned up to eleven.

It reminds me of Oerbier Reserva, in the level of sourness, wood, and tart berry flavors. They are both aged in wine barrels, possibly a key connection.

Thanks to Weibull & drseamus, who traded me one of these last year. (926 characters)

4.48/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a hazy red/orange color with a finger of foam. Active carbonation and solid lacing on the glass.

S: Cherries, some citrus, and some tartness.

T: Cherries! Sweet and sour cherries, with a bit of malt behind it. A hefty amount of tartness to it. Not hugely sour, but it's sour enough to make you notice. Damn good!

M: Active carbonation, bubbly, with a nice crisp finish.

D: This is an eminently drinkable brew. Huge flavor, and a great drinking experience. Well done. (482 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance - Redish orange color, creamy white head, very nice lacing, active carbonation

Smell - citrus, cherries, tartness

Taste - taste is very tart, a small bit of sweetness from the cherries, some oak flavors, very dry finish

Mouthfeel - creamy, high carbonation and a very dry finish

Drinkability - easy to drink for the style, very good, wish I had more of it (370 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -8.7%

A- Pours a deep sunset orange with a 1 finger, off white head.

S- Smells tart, cherries, sour funk. Theres a bit of an off smell here that is sort of sulfury. I like sour but the rogue smell really throws me.

T- Tastes sweet with light fruits that move into cherries. After that of course comes the sourness. None of the strange smell from the nose, incredibly well balanced.

M- A bit thicker than russian rivers other wild ales with quite a bit of carbonation.

D- This is another winner from RR. Well balanced, delicious, what more is there to say. Maybe not my favorite of the sours but it is certainly worth a try (or two). (630 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

Picked up a bottle today from South Bay Drugs and Liquor.

Batch 003.

Big pop! Lots of pressure but thankfully not a gusher. Pours a caramel color with some red overtones when held to the light. A frothy white head builds up to about two inches and settles to half within the minute. There are some lacing on the sides of the glass every time I take a sip.

Smell is great. Tart cherries with some wood, funk, sour apples, and pears. The malt is hiding in the background behind the fruitiness, tartness, and funk. Some toasted bread aromas begin to come through as it warms up.

Taste is of a lovely sour and slightly aggressive carbonation on the back of the tongue. It leaves a bit of a salty sensation on the palate and you can feel the acidity travel down to your stomach. It has a big apple taste upfront too and mixes well with the sour cherries. Some vinegar flavors near the finish and lots of sour lemons too. Lots of oak flavors and right now it seems to be suppressing the cherries. Would have scored higher on the taste if I could taste some more cherries.

Mouth-feel is aggressive and punishing with the sourness and carbonation. The fruit seems to come near the finish and in the after-taste. Not as aggressive on the tongue once it warms up but still quite sour.

I need to get some more of this stuff. (1,319 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 003 at the RR taproom

A: Cloudy, murky red/brown with a small white ring of bubbles.

S: Acidic, sour and fruity. Some cherry aroma on there, and a healthy portion of "biotics"

T: Sharp sour kick with some real sweet, cherry fruit and malt in the background. It's probably the least sour of the RR barrel aged beers, but it's still got a kick.

M: lively and silky and dry.

D: Very drinkable for the style. I could have a few before needing something sweet or some food. (479 characters)

Photo of
3.97/5  rDev -11.4%

375ml bottle

Hazy, orange/brown fluid. Modest, light tan head. Some sediment. Relatively still. Some legs, minimal lacing.

Scent is of cherries, and comes across as very tart. Complemented by citrus and acidic notes.

Taste is sour, but not dominatingly so. Reminds me of vitamin C tablets. Cherries snuck in there. Overall, very much like a dry, white wine. Touch of sweetness as I worked through it, grapes? Maybe the Pinot Noir barrel influence?

Medium body, at best. Carbonation is medium. Fairly dry.

I enjoyed this sour beer. Not my favorite style, but very tasty. An excellent change up from the hop trip I've been on. As a warning, stay away if you don't like tart flavors. (685 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -22.8%

Bottle shared by chadspivey
Pours a rosey amber color with no head. More pleasant nose than most any of the other sours I sampled on the same evening. Nose of sourness, like funk and some dark fruitines. Taste is very tart, mild sweetness, and some fruitiness. Very oaky flavor and some dry, sour cherries as well. Quite tart indeed, yet still pretty drinkable. I can see this being really good, if Sours were my thing. (419 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Amber red in color but slightly darker and cloudy, good head to start and stuck around for a while.

S: Very simple, sour cherries and yeast.

T: Over powering sour cherries that needs sugar to calm the sour down. The flavors actually climbed up inside my nose and would not leave for quite some time.

M/D: Sour and hard to drink because of the lock jaw that ensued. I appreciate what the brewer was trying to do and that was create an amazingly sour beer for those who love sour like my wife but this intensity was a little to much for me. I will be having it again since my wife loves this one. (600 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

375ml bottle thanks to chadspivey

Reddish amber color with decent spotty head for the style.

Intense Sweet Tart aroma. Sour candy. Generic fruit.

Really extreme tartness, not as sweet as the nose. Generic sweet & sour fruity candy flavors ala Spree or Sweet Tarts, maybe cherry stands out a bt.

Nice and refreshing. Great example of RR wild ale. (349 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to JeffKenner for the chance to try this.

A- Poured from a 325ml bottle noted Batch #002 into a snifter. Pours a reddish-brown with no head just some small bubbles piled up on the side of the glass. This is a very hazy beer also.

S- Definite funk/sour in the nose. Not over-powering but very nice to me. I get cherries, melon, and apple. You know for sure you are in for a sour and tangy treat.

T- Apples at first followed by a sour cherry flavor. There is a pedio/lacto sourness throughout. This sour stays in your mouth and amplifies the other flavors. I don't taste an over strong acetobactor flavor in this. Vinnie has really kept the good bugs in and the bad ones out.

M- Incredible. Great natural carbonation with a very creamy mouthfeel. This really sticks around in your mouth but not to the point of being overly sweet or sour.

D- I could drink this all night. I really like this beer. If I was to be perfectly honest, I didn't like cherry flavor only a few months ago. I have really begun to enjoy cherry flavor in beer. This is an incredible beer. I wish I had a case! (1,092 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

Purchased at Union Jacks Inn on the Manatawny, enjoyed at home in a tulip glass, just like instructed on the cork. Batch 002.

Pours a hazy copper with pink hues with fizzy beige head, little retention and spotty lacing. Smells of sour cherry, citrus zest, caramel, bread, yeast, and red wine. Taste is very tart with lots of sour cherry presence. Beyond that there is a taste of grapes, caramel, oak, brown sugar, and a musty funk. Medium-light in body with good carbonation and lots of tartness and an acidic balance. With a good amount of tart and sour flavors it isn't a beer for everyone, but it is certainly different and at least worth a try. A very unique brew that I wish I had more bottles of. Certainly not sessionable, but nice for a change every so often, especially for dessert. (792 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a tan amber red, with a thin white head. Smell is a mix of sour fruit with musty funk, taste is more of the same. The beer has a good malt sweetness that comes through a little, but the taste is overall dominated by the tartness. A good beer, but not for all occassions. (276 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +3.6%

I drank this at an "Art of Refermentation" beer tasting hosted by Garrett Oliver at the National Geographic.

These are my tasting notes:

This was the first tart beer which I really appreciated. It had a tart cheery flavor in the mouth. A very good beer. (255 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Received from jgaston as part of my BC2 package. Thanks!
Deep, burnt reddish orange with a light haze and short-lived foam. The colour was really gorgeous! The aroma was very earthy and woody, juicy cherry, delicate red grapes, a bit vinous, fruity, with tart berry. Mouthwatering tartness in the flavour with a very light acidic character, sour cherry and vinous, raspberry, woody and oaky. Perhaps a hint of funk. Medium to light bodied with a bit of residual sugar present - still some dryness though. Mild warmth in the finish. This stuff is super tasty! Highly drinkable and a great accompaniment to dinner. I'm glad I have another bottle, but I'd love to have more. (671 characters)

Batch 002; Sampled January 2008
A careful, persistent pour yields a fat-one-finger thick, dingy, tan colored head. The beer is a brilliantly clear, light cherry red color. Tart aromatics of acetic acid, lactic acid and moldy cheese are the first thing I notice in the nose. Quite fruity, but it is a sort of non-descript, perhaps berry-like, sweet fruitiness. The barrel character is present, but held well in check by the other aromatic components; touches of vanillin, a backdrop of spicy oak, some hints of butterscotch around the edges and a tannic character that is definitely noticed. The nose is quite funky, teetering on the edge of being off; over-ripe cheese, penicillin and buttery oak notes all contribute to this. Compared to a Lambic, this has quite a bit of acetic acid character to it, which is something I always enjoy if kept to a reasonable level.

Tart tasting, in fact very tart tasting; this is a nice mix of lactic and acetic notes. The lactic acid is the more prevalent not, but I am not sure that the lesser amount of acetic acid is not the most noticed part of the acidity. Flavors of tart cherries, tamarind and star fruit are all noticeable in this exceedingly dry beer. The body actually has a bit of heft to it though, which should be attributed to the barrel contribution and touches of residual malt character. Dry cherry notes, rich (though diluted) balsamic character, . A tannic, tongue coating note in the finish adds spicy almost piquant oak flavors that coat the tongue in a long finish. The barrel adds notes of buttery oak, spicy wood, some soft, creamy vanillin and probably even some berry flavors (assuming that the noticed berry flavors are coming from the Pinot Noir part of the barrel). As the beer warms it really starts to come into its own; the fruit & malt seem to balance the sour notes all that much more and make this even more enjoyable.

This is quite a bit more acetic in character than batch one. This is actually quite hard for a red / brown styled sour beer. An aggressive, but enjoyable, experience if you are into that sort of thing. I like that the oak character is much more integrated (though it still plays a significant role) than it was in batch one, but it still has a little ways to go before it hits that perfect balance between malt and funk / oak. This is still a fantastic beer, but I can't wait to see if Vinnie can dial this in a bit more over the next couple batches.

Batch 001; Sampled July 2005
4/4.5/5/4/5 total=4.6
Pours a hazy ruby red color when held up to the light, an amber color otherwise. The head is thin and tan in color. The aroma is dominated by a fresh oakiness, but, especially when I was pouring this, there is a nice acetic acid note to this that reminds me of a Rodenbach. The nose has notes of buttery oak, hints of cherries, balsamic, and a certain tannic woodiness. The aroma is quite well integrated with a great balance to it, though it does lean toward the acidity, which I am partial to.

The taste is fairly dry, much drier than the pasteurized Flemish beers, but still strikes a malty balance with a bit of caramel complexity to it. The finish is pleasingly acidic, with a leaning towards the acetic side of things. This beer is really well done, I am quite impressed, this is quite a bit farther along than the temptation. The finish has notes of a tannic woodiness, plus a long sour note that lingers along with the woodiness. This beer certainly reminds me of cherries, with a nice fruitiness to it. The more I drink it the more I become enamored of this beer, an authentic Flemish style sour beer that has not been pasteurized. This is quite a bit better, and much more balanced than New Belgium's La Folie. There is a wonderful interplay between the oak, maltiness, and acid character; this is superb and I can't wait to get more vintages of this. (3,858 characters)

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company