Join our email list →

Russian River Brewing Company
California, United States | website

American Wild Ale | 7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,405 | Hads: 5,876
4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

In a tulip:

This brew has some seriously insane lacing over and amber/copper hazy body. From the moment the cork is popped, the room fills with a sour aroma. The nose also has green apple, raisin, and coriander. The taste has pounds of sweet and sour, with a pleasant green apple tartness in the beginning and a sour bitter finish that gives way to a cherry aftertaste. Extremely thick mouthfeel for the style and carbonation that ably delivers flavor. So delicious... I could drink quite a bit of this.

Overall: Supplication was my first sour. Wow, this is incredible. I can't believe what I've been missing.

4.77/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best smelling beers I've ever had. My wife who hates cherries and is not a big sour fan agreed about the smell. She did shudder after drinking it though.
I loved it. Perfect tartness and the perfect level of funk. Great feel for a sour. I opened it last night after my nephew scored me another bottle from the brewery (along with several others)! Not sure if I should age it longer or not?
This was bottled in early January of 2015, so it was almost 8 months old. It sure hit the spot for me. Hard to imagine it being better.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to Deepsouth for this one!

Pours a nice hazy orange color with a nice 1/4" head. Lots of sticking!

Very sour aroma with a tangy-citrus aroma with a nice mellow cherry in the background.

SOUOOOUUURRR!!! Love it! Huge random flavors of cherry combined with a nice citrus flavor that is combined with a long lasting oak aroma.

Very tart to the tongue and mouth. Delicious and smooth with a nice tart finish.

Very drinkable but to rare to drink often. Another smashing hit from Russian River.

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%

Enjoyed on 5-8-10 with TCHopCraver, thanks to zoso1967's kind provision.

Appearance: Poured into a wine glass. Color is a golden brown, with some red hints thrown in for good measure. A one-finger head dissipates pretty slowly and leaves a soapy ring of lacing. The lacing is extremely sticky and will cling to any part of the glass if given the chance. There are delightful yeasties and cherry bits dancing around, further agitated by a decent stream of carbonation rising up from the bottom.

Smell: Cherry fragrance abounds! Almost smells like Grandma's in the kitchen baking up a cherry pie! The only difference is that this pie is sour and full of pinot noir, funky yeast, spice, and wood.

Taste: Wow! Not what I was expecting at all. I expected something much sweeter, but instead I find a dryness that is simply enchanting. It's like all the best things about wine and beer brought together in a masterful harmony. This is definitely one of the most refreshing and invigorating beverages I have had the pleasure of consuming. The cherry sweetness of the nose is paired extremely well with the dry, champagne-like flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and refreshingly dry. Starts with a biting fruity punch to the tonsils and ends clean and dry.

Drinkability: Very refreshing and easy to drink, but this beer is so intense that it lends itself more to being a sipper.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

Supplication Batch 006X1. 375ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: 4
Brassy brown red body with 1’ white head that slowly dissipates to nothing. Mild faint lacing.

Smell:4

Definite sour aroma with notes of lemon, minimal dark fruit, and faint funkiness. Not really barnyard smelling though as I thought it might be. Also a slight toffee note of sweetness, I imagine from the malt.

Taste: 4.5

A great sour with amazing balance. It’s definitely a moderate-strong sourness, but the overall profile seems so refined. It’s not harsh or caustic, but instead very pleasant. Get a mild almost woody funk with notes of lemon/citrus, presence of pinot noir grapes as well as faintest of sweetness of the malt. Lingering sour aftertaste with touch of malt and bitterness. Nice crisp, bright mineral presence in sour component, like a good white wine; this really adds a nice level of complexity to the flavour

Mouthfeel: 4.5
So delightfully sour, but again somehow balance. Great champagne-like soft, fine carbonation that leads to almost pillowly sensation. Mild thickness. Perfect amount of slimily acidic feeling ( which sounds weird I know, but seem spot-on appropriate). I really love how this beer feels actually.

Overall: 4.5
A surprising, subtle, well balanced beer that is definingly sour, but in the same breath incredibly balanced. It’s a little different than I anticipated, much less in-your-face. But really its just such a good beer.

I wasn’t 100% sold of sour beers before this, but now I am. It was just so enjoyable. In fact, super easy drinking and I was very quick to finish it, wishing I had more.

Must Try Recommendation.

4.11/5  rDev -8.7%

Batch #10

A- 1 finger of a coarse light tan foam. It's a bit champagne like at first with bubbles rising through the glass. No lacing and the color looks like a Roobios (SP?) tea.

S- Fruity sour a little medicine-y twinge of green apple with a musty almost nutty smell at the end (Oak ?) As it warms in the glass the Pinot really comes through.

T- Cider-like that drops off sharply to a sour cherry and mild currant. The malt characteristic is really not present but the tannins are revealed when you exhale. It does become more wine-y as you drink it.

M- effervescent at first that mellows to a level of a cask ale. It is only mildly sweet, but the sour zing comes more from under the tounge. It is also somewhat dry

O- Its a great sour, gets better with every sip. Would age well, would pair well with cheese. Its wine its beer its sour its great! Its an experience!

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%

Tasted on 4/24/07
Appearance: Dark, burnt orange. Little to no head after the inital foaming from cork popping
Smell: Fantastic: Smelly sour with a lot of brett and a slight cherry note
Taste: Brilliant. Sour, sweet, cherry
Mouthfeel: Another great note. The sour brett does not take anything away from the mouthfeel.
Drinkability: Perfect. No other way to describe this beer. Absolutely phenomenal. I wish it didn't cost this much, but I understand.
Russian River is THE best brewery in America. Hands down. Vinnie truly is a beer genius. Can't wait to try other "tion" beers

Batch 5 bottle poured into snifter.

A - copper with minimal head.
S - lemon, tart cherry, wet leather, dirt, hay, and toasted bread
T - cherry, dry red wine, oak, Brett funk, stale bread
M - thin with high carbonation
O - probably in my top 5 American sours. I need to get more of this to cellar.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

Thanks to jonathanL7890 for a chance to try this one.

Pours a big whopping 3 finger head, may want to pour easier on this one. Light brown to copper color and cloudy for the appearance.

The nose is that of sweetness, cherries, candies, and some yeastiness as well

Mouthfeel WOW! this is one helluva sour beer. At first the sweetness hits the mouth then the sour packs a whopper of a punch. Made me feel like my asshole was being sucked through my mouth GEEZ! the puckerness factor.

This is an amazing sour beer. Its a must try for anyone who calls themselves a beer nerd or beer geek. This really is a beer that is on the extreme side.

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance - Orangish copper with a white 1/2 inch head. Amazing lace all over my tulip glass.

Smell - Phenomenal - Some boozy barrel-aged stuff happening (like Allagash Curieux). Sour cherries and other berry smells also. Appetizing funky yeast aroma.

Taste - Like a punch in the face. Brace yourself for the tartness, but then the lovely backbone of kriek-like cherry flavor. Oud Bruin to the max, with a little saison thrown in, and kriek lambic to finish off. As this warms, more malt character is prevalent, and this is when this can truly be savored. Intensity is present throughout. Long, winey/vinegary finish leaves you smiling.

Mouthfeel - Very acidic, gets the glands working for sure. Stings the lips a bit, to be honest. After it warms up, thought, more of the wood flavors pop out and the finish is buttery. MMM....

Drinkability - Can't get enough.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks a ton to Sugit for hooking me up with this one. I've been very excited to try it.

A - What a great looking beer. Big pop when it was uncorked, and a bright amber body with beautiful head and lacing.

S - Funky! The brett comes through up front, and it smells great. The cherry comes through a little bit, but it is hidden under all that delicious funk.

T&M - The first sip blew me away with sourness. I'm a bit of a sour novice, and this shocked me. As my palate and the beer itself warmed a bit, the velvety funk and sweetness of the cherry are coming out as well. The blend is completely unique to me, and it is growing on me fast. It seems a bit lopsided on the sour side, which to me takes away from the rest of the flavor profile. I could see how some might like the balance as it is though...

D - Considering the punch packed in the first sip, I'm shocked to see how easy this has become to drink after 10 minutes. While a growler of this might be intimidating, I'm having no problem enjoying every last drop of this bottle.

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%

375mL bottle of Russian River Supplication - batch number 8.

Appearance: Supplication pours an interesting blood orange color that produces a frothy off-white head that slowly fizzles down to a thin, film-like layer.

Smell: there's a bit of funkiness in the nose.. Pinot Noir barrels inoculated with brettanomyces makes for a very nice aroma.

Taste: Supplication's fruit juiciness really sets it apart from the much drier Consecration; the sour cherries seem to enhance this barrel aged offering in a way that currants simply cannot. The wine barrel adds another layer of complexity by imparting its oakiness and Pinot Noir flavors.. and the bacteria (lacto and pedio) adds a very pleasant sourness to this stellar wild ale.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with plenty of carbonation (refermented in the bottle).

Overall: Supplication is surprisingly refreshing.. and complex. Truly a world-class beer.

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Batch 003. 375ml pulled from the "cellar" (dark, insulated coat closet) and chilled for 20 minutes in freezer.

Nice pop from the cork. Poured into tulip, producing a beautiful thin, creamy off-white head atop a copper colored, slightly hazy brew. Aroma of ripe cherries and wood punctuated with a good sharp dose of brett funk. Flavor is a well-rounded blend of tart cherries and saturated red wine barrel, with a lingering sweet/tart finish. Has a wonderful mouthfeel thanks to a light-to-medium body--surprisingly heavier than I remember, especially compared to recent, fresher batches I've had--and perfect carbonation with a perpetually replenishing head which leaves an impressive lacing behind.

This is a terrific beer that has aged tremendously. I'd have to say it's my most successful cellaring experience to date.

3.92/5  rDev -12.9%

Part IV of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. I'm re-reviewing this one because I feel that my initial review was done too early in my BA days, prior to tasting any other sours, and prior to having a more refined palate.

Dark copper, reddish brown with a persistent haziness. Supplication pours with a one and a half finger head that quickly fades to a thin film that remains for the rest of the drink. Sour cherries, musty wood, vines, slight malts, dark chocolate, raspberries, and booze. Sour cherries and ripe lemons up front followed by a funky mustiness and some alcohol heat. The aftertaste is rich in bread, sweet cherries, a touch of cinnamon, and a lingering sour must. A drinkable beer.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Props to WarriorSoul for the bottle!
Poured into my wide-mouth Duvel tulip.
Poured a very murky orangy-apple cider color. Minimal head with a ton of small bubbles. The very fine lace stayed throughout and re-emerges with gentle encouragement.
There is a galaxy of tiny black specs floating throughtout the beer, but settled to the bottom. Yeast? Cherry pit scrapnel? Not sure what it is. Had no adverse effects on this beer.
Nose of sour cherry and earthy yeast mustyness. Enjoyably tart. Very vinous and smells of a well made hard cider.
Not exactly sure how to catagorize what I'm tasting. It's unlike any beer I've ever tried before. Sour wild cherry and Brett takes presidence, along with musty fruit-cake, minus the nuts. Subdued hoppiness but there is a malty sweetness. Quite dry and woody. My vocabulary cannot express what I'm actually tasting. So much complexity here. Maybe it's not meant to be described.
Very drinkable, smooth dry body. At 7% I wasn't expecting anything too heavy. Mouthfeel reminded me of a nice dry cider.

Awsome beer from Russian River and Vinnie. Like I said before, unlike anything I've previously had. Almost too good for words.

I was sunday schooled today @ Tria in Philly. Can you believe it this was the beer offering- bottles at cost, and people drinking this as common as yuengling or ___! Now this place is a beer as well as wine and cheese counesouers trifecta- but come on! Amazing offering of an amazing beer. I 've had Pliny the elder and Dammnation and have enjoyed those- but I have to honestly say, and I've drunk enough beer and reviewed a scant number here(though generally only those that really stand out)- this may have been the best I've had yet.
Color- a honied amber- beautiful. Creamy subtle head poured silkily into a a tapered wine glass...
Aroma- of port and cherries and an aluring sweetness
First tast-incredible balanced depth. good warming alchohol and cherries- di I say cherries- wonderful nuancied cherries, but better than any Kriek- Rodenbach/New Glarus souped up wth La Fin du Monde. Wonderful, wonderful special occasion beer. Paired well with the French terriorfamhouse cheese and gargonzola/fig brushetta...
There has been much love, sweat, detail, patence, and time put forth into this brew. This is truly exceptional offering from what I am experiencing to be atrul exceptional, creative daring brewery. TRY IT and SAVOR! Wonderful!!

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Pours a nice murky reddish brown with thick creamy head with loads of lace.

S: Smell is of tart cherries and oak. There is a little funk, but not overwhelming. Lovely.

T: Sweetness, then loads of tart followed with a very nice oaky taste. Really nice.

M: Medium to light mouthfeel with lots of carbonation.

D: Great beer. 375ml is just about right unless shared (I shared a few drinks with my wife).

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer was exceptional! I always look forward to finding a Russian River sour beer and this beer is a huge reason. Tons of fruit balanced with some malty sweetness and a bright puckering sour that leaves you wanting more. A must try for anyone wanting to try some sour beers. Reminded me a little of the Duchesse de Bourgogne but with even more sour and a little less fruity.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Enjoyed from a 375mL bottle (Batch 04x2) in a tulip glass. Dark amber in color with one finger of light tan head, fading into a nice cap and lacing. Smells of oak, tart cherries, and funk, but primarily cherries. Taste is mouth puckeringly tart: sour cherries, oak, and a bitter, tannic finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with ample carbonation. As much as I love everything about this beer, it can be very hard to drink. An excellent brew all around!

Batch 004x1 from the bottle on Easter.

A: Pours a beautiful dark golden brown, with a ruby hue. The head sticks around a very long time, and leaves sticky lacing on the walls of the glass.

S: Funk leads the charge, followed by a potent tart cherry. There is sone band-aid in the middle. Sweet cherries wrap up the nose.

T: There isn't as my funk as the nose suggests, it's more acidic. Dark fruits dominate tour mid-palate, mostly cherries and plums, before giving way to some funk at the end.

M: Prickly carbonation assists the various flavors. Medium bodied.

D: After having Batch 005 on tap yesterday, I'd say the fresher this beer, the better. When the beer is fresh, the fruit flavors or more vibrant, but the sourness and funkiness levels are a little less abrasive. This beer is delicious at any age, but out of the three batches I've had, I'd rank them in the following order (best to worst): 003, 005, 004

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

Review #5
Batch 004x5 - 375ml

I had yet to try this beer and recently acquired my first one through a trade (thanks 6DaysBottomOcean!). I couldn't hold out for too long and decided to crack this one open tonight.

Upon removing the cage, just the slightest bit of force sent the cork flying.

A - Pours a deep amber with ruby highlights when held to the light. Pillowy off-white one-finger head that slowly dissipates to reveal itself, leaving sticky lacing around the glass.

S - Tart cherries, pinot, oak from the barrels that nursed this beer as it aged. The funk from the Brett is evident, though balanced nicely.

T - Sweet, tart cherries. Sour, yet balanced extremely well with the oak, I pick up hints of vanilla. Finish is dry, my mouth is watering, craving more.

M - Medium bodied, wonderful carbonation that truly is an asset to the complex flavors at play.

O - This beer is truly a treat and one that I will be seeking out in earnest.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

Great offering from Russian River.

A - Good orange / amber hued beer with a thin white head quickly dissipating

S - Good sourness here with a underlying depth. Not as snappy as some other wild ales

T - Very tasty brew. You can taste the depth that comes from the oak aging, and the slight cherrry tartness is very complimentary to the sourness of the Brett.

M - Crisp, tart mouth feel with good carbonation

D - Could drink this consistently, if it weren't made in CA and not the easiest to get around me. This may not be the best sour beer that I have had, but certainly highly drinkable an a great offering from RR

3.72/5  rDev -17.3%

Supplication comes in a pricey little 375 mL bottle. (I think I paid $12.00?) The bottle looks neat though, with a long, bulged neck like a miniature version of it's 750 mL big brothers. Corked and caged. Served at 47°F.

A: Uncorked, revealing a swirling mist in the bottle. Pours into my NB goblet a cloudy, light copper, peachy brown, that's too dark for an amber but lighter than a typical brown. A creamy, one-finger sandstone head emerges, with just a tinge of pink.

S: Sour cherries, which undoubtedly had been eagerly anticipating uncorking, fill the room before the pour. This brew is almost overwhelmingly sour and complex. The nose is packed with vinegar, as well as clove, cinnamon, Morello cherries, and a slight, salty, barnyard funk. Overall the smell is an intense sour acid with accents of warm, herbal Christmas notes. The background spice is phenolic and slightly solventy.

T: The taste is predominantly dry, woody, and tart. It's very complex, but it's a well past center on the sour scale, so it's hard for me to decide if I love it or not. The carbonation and sourness hit first, but then a solventy hotness follows. The flavor also finishes with more fresh-cut oak and vanilla than any other sour I've tasted.

M: This wild is highly carbonated, so the effervescence foams in the throat and causes major burpage. The bubbles from the foam nucleate and explode in the mouth, but the cream makes the bursting bubbles and ensuing foam stick to your mouth and throat. There is also enough sourness to bring on some puckering and pangs in the jaw.

D: I would say drinkability is severely limited on cost alone, but as far as the beer itself goes, the real factor is your appreciation of very sour beers. I tend to avoid more acidic beer styles like Flanders Red, but I would consider this to be right at my limit for sourness. Medium.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Batch 4
Poured into a Snifter

A: Pours a reddish brown with a small head on top. Supplication looks like a glass of apple cider with a light topping of foam. The head dissipates very quickly.

S: The Brett, Lacto, and Pedio blend together to give this a good musty, funk on the nose.

T: The Brett and Lacto create a musty barnyard flavor on the front, while the sour cherries add to the tartness of the finish. I am picking up slight notes of pinot noir on the finish as well.

M: Very carbonated as the bubbles tingle the tongue.

D: This is a sipper as the funk is strong but not overpowering on the taste. ABV is not too high at 7%, but the flavor will keep you drinking this beer slowly. Complex, sour, and very enjoyable.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

10oz pour at Monk's Cafe. While I noticed some marked differences between this and the batch 3 bottle I had last year, I wasn't aware that I was drinking Batch 1 (4.5 years old) until later in the afternoon. Especially with all of the talk that batch 4 is very pungently cherried, I assumed I was having delusions or that Younger had wrecked my palate, neither of which is true.

A- Pours a brownish amber with 1-finger of off white head, which is very spritzy and dissipated quickly leaving sticky, streaky lacing.

S- Huge lactic character with a slightly vinegary aroma (which is much more pronounced that I remember from the fresher bottle I sampled.) I wrote in my notes that I got no cherry whatsoever in the nose, due to the overpowering lactic sourness and this makes perfect sense in retrospect. The old wood and vinegar that followed the sourness are much more welcome with the knowledge that this beer had been aged for 4.5 years.

T- Initially, I get an ever-so-slight fruitness, which I wouldn't even single out as cherries except for the fact that I know this beer is aged with cherries. The Pinot Noir barrels may play a role in this initial fruiting as well. The fruit immediately gives way to the huge lacto sourness I have already alluded to in the smell category. In the finish, I get a lot of the vinegar flavor, which is much more intertwined with the woodiness and marked leathery flavors making it much more enjoyable than in the nose.

MF- Spritzy mouthfeel with a medium body. The fresh consecration I sampled right after this was slightly syrupy for my liking, but this was pretty much the perfect viscosity for this beer.

D- Slightly more acidic that I would like to the point where it had a burn that was slightly more on the esophagus than most any sour I have tasted. This is not to say that it was more sour or worse, it just burned a little. Other than that one downside, however, the beer was extremely drinkable and has held up VERY nicely.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company