Microbrew Invitational

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Reviews: 1,424 | Ratings: 6,029
4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Light head upon pour. Falls to a nice mat of foam around the rim of the glass. Laces very well. Amazing rich auburn color.

S- Wonderful aroma. Tart cherries. Wet dog and Sweet hay.

T- This is a wonderful experience its a bit more tart then Temptation but its a nice play on a sour. The sweet cherries come through nicely. Sweet malt

M - Lovely tang on the tongue. Plenty of carbonation.

O - This is an amazing sour. I wish I had move.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

Graduation Sour Tasting. Split 4 ways. This was the last of the 20 or so sours we tasted over 8 1/2 hours. Thanks again to rhinos00, pecorasc, and beace for making this epic tasting happen!

A: Dark carmel color. Slightly hazy. Nice white head with some decent lacing.

S: Smell some caramel malts and funkiness with some cherry and dark fruit undertones.

T: Very crisp tasting beer. Lots of tart cherry and funk flavors.

M: Nicely carbonated and good full body.

D: Very drinkable. This sour was refreshing and a really great beer. Wished I had more, but my stomach was about to punch me in the face if I drank anymore sour beer. A great ending to an epic sour tasting that I will never forget.

2.1/5  rDev -53.3%

A. Semi peachish amber color. Pours with plenty of head, roughly 1.5 fingers.

Smell. You sure this is beer? lol. Smells of heavy influence of the wine barrel. Slight tone of fruit.

Taste. WOW. Holey f*ck. 4 years ago, regardless of the $12 price point I would have poured this beer out. Now, understanding the process that made this beer it is impressive. This is a palette cleanser. This is like wine and beer had an affair and this is the illegitimate child from that process. Very tart and sour with plenty of pinot noir tones.

Mouthfeel. Tart, dry, semi bitter. SOUR. very nice.

Overall: If you are in search of a sour beer, this is one of the tops, This will light your taste buds up like licking a 9 volt battery!And thats about it, not much for flavor, price point is off by a mile, and this is something that you would rather have a sample of, not too many people would sit down and enjoy this beer IMO, this is one you split between 5 or 6 people just to say you've had it.

4.51/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Beautiful cloudy red orange color with off-white head. Micro bubble carbonation. When the glass is tilted, the bubbles cling to the side and shimmer on the way back to the liquid. The head is thin but lasts until the end.

S: Sour, berrylike smell. Oak and sharp yeast.

T: Very tart candy sourness from the start. Some woody notes, fruit, light alcohol, and not much else. This beer is much more simple than I thought it would be from everyone elses description, but it is still very good. To me, it does taste like something is missing...

M: Crisp crisp crisp. Clean and tingly and bubbly.

D: Very high. I would drink this by the pitcher if it were possible. A really great beer. I love sours, and this one is no exception. However, I don't think it is the sour that all others should be judged by.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Crystal clear reddish orange with lots of carbonation and a few fingers fizzy head. Nice.

S - Some nice sour funk and cherry tartness. As it warms up the cherry comes out more.

T - Quite good -- lots of tart, sour cherry, sour funkiness, and more sour. Not quite mouth-puckering, but quite sour. Some hints of oak, and a base of simple, sweet malt underneath it all. Reminiscent of a kriek, but the cherry isn't quite so prominent and there's a bit of oak. Really tasty.

M - Medium mouthfeel, rather smooth, but with quite a bit of carbonation. A touch of acidity on the back of my tongue. It fits the beer wonderfully.

Overall, tasty tasty. I love Russian River wilds.

4.12/5  rDev -8.4%

Forewarning: my review is going to fall off the grid.

First, for the standard analysis: this beer fares well on all criteria, pours a lovely dark brown into my Duvel chalice, good head. Nice, complex aroma with cherry, wine overtones. Lovely taste, complex tartness, this beer tracks its strong Belgian heritage and then adds something. This is, of course, something to be savored to the full--a dessert beer, really.

My objection to this beer is simple and straightforward. I love both wine and beer, but this one toes the line uncomfortably close to wine territory in my view. The dominant flavors here are, plainly, largely from being aged in wine barrels (one can pick that out immediately). As my review above states, this is a fine tasting beer and I'd gladly have it again but bluntly if this is the flavor I am craving, I'd rather have a nice glass of Rioja or Cotes du Rhone than this (which, by the way, is equally if not more costly).

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks again to ales4baldo for this awesome wild ale!
Poured from the bottle to a tulip glass.
Pours a nice deep redish brown with orange hues when up to the light. I got a one finger head from a pretty vigorous pour that then disappears to nothing with no lacing.
Nose is bright with fruit, candy sugars, tart apple, cranberry defiantly a little yeasty funk, and a hint of oak.
Flavor defiantly shows off the tart cherries. I get some nice sour apple, and cranberry but it has an interesting fresh fruit juice in the middle. I can defiantly pick up on some oak.
Mouthfeel is pretty nice, almost a cider like feel with a medium high level of carbonation. I defiantly get a nice lingering bitterness and tartness.
Overall an awesome brew. Really complex but very well balanced. I Love a good sour and this has topped them all so far!
Thanks Baldo!

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

375 ml litter bottle into a la chouffe snifter

had this at DLD from a bottle from the first 3 batches and now the review is from the 6th batch

a- a dark ruby reddish orange, not cloudy but almost opaque, it kind makes me think of thick apple cider in looks
s- some funk, some sweet, slight apple
t-sour sour sour, this bottle wasnt like my first tasting but its not bad by any means, almost like a warhead candy, you can definetely taste the cherries in the finish
m-lively and jaw locking, lots of carbonation, very dry finish
o/d- overall i love it, my favorite sour so far, drinkability- is good its easy to take down,smooth and light

Batch 005X3 into tulip

S: sour vinegary, apple cider, caramel
T: tart vinegar, lemonade, cider, hint of caramel, faint oak in the back ground
M: light but not thin. There's some body left
D: good, but 350ml is good enough for me.

I don't understand why there's minimum 250 word for a review. some beers don't need a lot of word

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed 10/24; got in a trade from Rock4sc96, thanks Chris!

Into Southern Tier elongated tulip

A: Poured slowly, no yeast. Brilliant clear amber with a fluffy off white head. Incredible carbonation surging up from the bottom. Like champagne.

S: Brett funk, berries. Sour grapes, tart apples.

T: Tart up front, dark fruit, sour cherries. It's a delight to drink, and the sour pronounces a bit more as it warms.

F: Light and fizzy. Carbonation dances on the tongue.

D: What alcohol? It has about as much burn as an apple cider. Could have done a magnum of this in a sitting.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

poured from a 375ml bottle purchased at Mile High Wine and Liquors on a recent trip to Denver. Been wanting to try this one for a while.

Batch 5

Pours a hazy amber with just a touch of red to rosy it up.

Smells sour, slight funk, hint of cherries, very pleasant

Tastes tart, sour up front, transitioning into a very slight cherry sweetness before finishing dry. A near perfect blend of sour, dry, and slightly sweet cherry flavor.

light crisp, but complex enough to not immediately fade.

Excellent overall. I liked it better than temptation and consecration and maybe even better than Sanctification, which to this point had been my favorite sour-ish beer. Glad I have another couple of bottles

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Batch 001.

Hazy peach with a large fluffy head that dies down pretty quickly. Smell is very strong - floral and herbal characters along with a vinegary smell dominate. There is definitely some sour cherry in there, and a woody smell. Taste is more of the same. The taste is a tad muted, but well done. A tiny bit of spicy alcohol shows through but other than that it is well hidden. The sourness is mild in this brew compared to most of the Belgian lambics I've had, but the cherry taste seems to come out more, along with a vinous character. Finish is very clean with some lingering oak. Mouthfeel is spot on for the style, pretty thin. Could use a bit more carbonation. Drinks very easily. Very interesting brew.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Batch 4
Poured into a Snifter

A: Pours a reddish brown with a small head on top. Supplication looks like a glass of apple cider with a light topping of foam. The head dissipates very quickly.

S: The Brett, Lacto, and Pedio blend together to give this a good musty, funk on the nose.

T: The Brett and Lacto create a musty barnyard flavor on the front, while the sour cherries add to the tartness of the finish. I am picking up slight notes of pinot noir on the finish as well.

M: Very carbonated as the bubbles tingle the tongue.

D: This is a sipper as the funk is strong but not overpowering on the taste. ABV is not too high at 7%, but the flavor will keep you drinking this beer slowly. Complex, sour, and very enjoyable.

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%

Newer vintage of Supplication served from a 375ml bottle into a tulip.

A: A rich rose/amber color that looks stunning when held up to the light. Small white head that dissipates rather quickly, head leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S: Smell number one is FUNK, and a lot of it, then the cherry shows up to the party. Then it just is a duet between the two, it’s very enjoyable.

T: First sip makes the mouth pucker from the tartness; this is very dry wild ale also. Then once you get past the tartness and the dryness its all cherry and oak funk that floods the mouth.

M: Ideal for a beer like this, it’s a little dry, but that is just what makes this so enjoyable. Carbonation is on par and the drinkability is amazing.

O: This is one of my favorite Wild Ales on the market, and it’s nice that RR brews this and releases it a few times a year. Always nice to have a fresh back to drink and then a few to age.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Russian River, I salute you. Poured from the bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Clear, beautiful ruddy brown with golden highlights. A thin cap forms, but only a collar remains after a couple of minutes. The color reminds me of what a deep sunset on the beach looks like.

Smell: Yep, there's the Russian River signature. Unmistakable sourness awaits me. Tart cherries, wood, musty old attic, and a faint pungent smell of putrefaction. I know that last item probably sounds bad, but I think it's goddamn great.

Taste is exquisite. This bottle is not particularly fresh, but it was stored in cold conditions for a long time. I think this is probably why the cherries are still somewhat prominent here. Cherry, oak, red wine, all taking turns dancing with the buggy acidity. Quick finish.

Mouthfeel is very good. Very dry, crisp finish, with lively carbonation. The carbonation is, at first, a tiny bit harsh... a few minutes into the glass it has smoothed out considerably.

Drinkability: I might drink gallons of this when bottles are released later this year. Fantastically drinkable.

This and Consecration (Batch 1) are my two favorite Russian River sours to date. This is great stuff. I am looking forward to trying it fresh.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Won my office March Madness pool, so I bought a case!

A - This beer pours a bright red pinkish color. It has a nice white lacy bubbly head. The beer loses points because it has just so much sediment in it. Probably the most I have ever seen in a beer.

S - Straight tart fruitiness right out of the gate. The beer hints with sour cherries to follow. After that, a small hint of barrel finishes.

T - Begins with the Cherries. Wow, so much cherry tartness going on. Follows with acidic notes and finishes slightly woody. Yup, Woody. Damn good.

M - Smooth, creamy, and highly carbonated. It coats the mouth. The only problem is that the floaties from the sediment are slightly noticable, and I don't like that.

D - It is damn good. Drinkability is probably a 5 on tap, but the bottle seems more acidic, and the the floaties prevent this from getting a 5.

O - This sour is amazing. On tap, it's epic, but that will wait for another review down the road. Get this beer if you enjoy a nice sour fix.

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow I was really surprised by this beer. I thought the cherries were going to be too much for this beer and ruin it but I was so mistaken the cherries really make this beer great. The color is a nice deep brown. Slight sourness and cherries plus some malty sweetness are the aromas that greet your nose. These same flavors come through in the taste plus a few other notes that hard to truly pick out. I could see a few years really helping this beer balance out and become even better. Great to drink now but some age will just make it that much better.
Cheers

4.24/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Damn good beer...that being said, I think so much of the ravenously devout following that RR has is based so much around the hype of the company, and thus societally imposed interpretations of the beer manifest. But, that being said, this is a great fucking work of craft.

The beer looks like Pinot Noir: slightly translucent ruddy brown color, good haziness, nice carbonation visible in the frothiness of the head.

Smells of beautiful vinous cherry, subtle oak, and tangy yeast.

Taste follows smell, almost to the letter. A bit more tang from the wild. very subtle and refreshing, not terribly funky.

Yes, there's a reason, objectively, that there is so much hype surrounding RR. But, you can pay 2 dollars more for a 750mL of Jolly Pumpkin and support a smaller, still-growing independent producer that makes a beer that's almost as good in a very similar style.

4.69/5  rDev +4.2%

I happened to be walking down Pine St. in Philadelphia after a dentist appointment today. Ordinarily, this would just be another street. However, I was far enough east that my journey would take me right past a Philadelphia beer mecca known as The Foodery. If you strolled by briskly you could easily mistake it for your typical corner bodega/deli if it weren't for the assortment of beer bottles on display in the windows. I love when I find myself in the neighborhood.

The store has the usual suspects in terms of the Belgians, a wide variety of American craft and a great selection of one-offs and randoms scattered around the back of the store. I saw the bottle of Supplication sitting by itself on a shelf and I knew I needed to purchase it. I gave up browsing at that point since I knew this one bottle would be a small fortune and worth every penny: ~$19.50 for 375ml.

I was planning to eat spicy chili tonight so I made it a point to enjoy this beverage fully before touching my dinner. Didn't want to ruin my palate with such a great beverage ready to entertain my mouth.

I poured 90% of the beer into a Duvel glass and did a good swirl to capture the yeast (against the advice of the bottle) as I like to get the fully experience even if it means extra yeast flavors. The color was brown/cherry. Jumping ahead, as I drank the lacing was light but looked like it would never give up its grasp of the side of the glass. No real head on this beer.

The smell is sour but nothing pastoral or farm-like about it other than the fact that it makes you feel strangely relaxed much like being in the rural lands of central Pennsylvania. Who would have thought that sour is a smell? As you breathe it in you can almost taste sour without anything touching your lips. The smell is enhanced as you take the first sip.

Exactly what I hoped. Sour thought smooth at the same time. The liquid is thin and first but fills your mouth instantly with flavor that makes it feel a lot more heavy-bodied. I don't know enough about the bacteria in this beer to say how they each contribute to the flavor but overall the wildness of it is enagaging but not overwhelming. It is not too wild. After drinking a sip and thinking about it for a minute the acting of licking one's lips is a treat. It is a different sense of sourness. Speaking of sourness, on the grand scale of sour this really isn't too bad. I'd give it a 6/10 on the sourness scale.

Overall, this is definitely an easy drinker which might be surprising for such an extreme mouth shocker. Equally shocking, the weight of the bottle. This is one heavy bottle for such a small volume of beer. Totally worth the price to try but I don't think I'd penny up another $20 as I'd rather try other Russian River offerings first.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this one for $17 at Eulogy while traveling in Philadelphia. A steep price, but building in the restaurant's markup, I felt pretty much fine about this pricier pickup, especially since this beer never comes my way. Having had some of their traditional ales (Salvation, Redemption, Damnation), this sour from Russian River really knocked me out.

A lot of people talk about Russian River's sours as if they're of an entirely different stock than their other beers. I can now see why. The balance on this wild ale rivals anything from the best Belgian sours, and has a subtlety that quickly trumps other American brewers like, say, Allagash (not that that subtlety is always a good thing).

Ruby colored with fruity notes that are both vibrant and delicately mixed. There's no unpleasant sharpness challenging or harming the taste. Likewise, the carbonation is just active enough to bring out the subtler notes that might otherwise be lost. Smooth and downright delicious, I can't wait to find this one on tap. Curious how it would compare to that fresh Lou Pepe 2008 I just had...

4.11/5  rDev -8.7%

Batch #10

A- 1 finger of a coarse light tan foam. It's a bit champagne like at first with bubbles rising through the glass. No lacing and the color looks like a Roobios (SP?) tea.

S- Fruity sour a little medicine-y twinge of green apple with a musty almost nutty smell at the end (Oak ?) As it warms in the glass the Pinot really comes through.

T- Cider-like that drops off sharply to a sour cherry and mild currant. The malt characteristic is really not present but the tannins are revealed when you exhale. It does become more wine-y as you drink it.

M- effervescent at first that mellows to a level of a cask ale. It is only mildly sweet, but the sour zing comes more from under the tounge. It is also somewhat dry

O- Its a great sour, gets better with every sip. Would age well, would pair well with cheese. Its wine its beer its sour its great! Its an experience!

3.83/5  rDev -14.9%

Sampled this one along side a Temptation, and this one was not my favorite of the two.

Supplication pours amber colored with a slight reddish tinge when held to light. Aroma is dominated by a strong musty character with perhaps a touch of cherry but not much. Mouthfeel is very dry and tart. Flavorwise, it it has a "clean" sourness (lacto-dominate?) with just a bit of cherry and almond. Displays less complexity than the best sour beers. I was expecting more cherry and funk.

Overall, worth a try but to me not among the very best of sour beers.

In a tulip:

This brew has some seriously insane lacing over and amber/copper hazy body. From the moment the cork is popped, the room fills with a sour aroma. The nose also has green apple, raisin, and coriander. The taste has pounds of sweet and sour, with a pleasant green apple tartness in the beginning and a sour bitter finish that gives way to a cherry aftertaste. Extremely thick mouthfeel for the style and carbonation that ably delivers flavor. So delicious... I could drink quite a bit of this.

Overall: Supplication was my first sour. Wow, this is incredible. I can't believe what I've been missing.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to Deepsouth for this one!

Pours a nice hazy orange color with a nice 1/4" head. Lots of sticking!

Very sour aroma with a tangy-citrus aroma with a nice mellow cherry in the background.

SOUOOOUUURRR!!! Love it! Huge random flavors of cherry combined with a nice citrus flavor that is combined with a long lasting oak aroma.

Very tart to the tongue and mouth. Delicious and smooth with a nice tart finish.

Very drinkable but to rare to drink often. Another smashing hit from Russian River.

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%

Enjoyed on 5-8-10 with TCHopCraver, thanks to zoso1967's kind provision.

Appearance: Poured into a wine glass. Color is a golden brown, with some red hints thrown in for good measure. A one-finger head dissipates pretty slowly and leaves a soapy ring of lacing. The lacing is extremely sticky and will cling to any part of the glass if given the chance. There are delightful yeasties and cherry bits dancing around, further agitated by a decent stream of carbonation rising up from the bottom.

Smell: Cherry fragrance abounds! Almost smells like Grandma's in the kitchen baking up a cherry pie! The only difference is that this pie is sour and full of pinot noir, funky yeast, spice, and wood.

Taste: Wow! Not what I was expecting at all. I expected something much sweeter, but instead I find a dryness that is simply enchanting. It's like all the best things about wine and beer brought together in a masterful harmony. This is definitely one of the most refreshing and invigorating beverages I have had the pleasure of consuming. The cherry sweetness of the nose is paired extremely well with the dry, champagne-like flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and refreshingly dry. Starts with a biting fruity punch to the tonsils and ends clean and dry.

Drinkability: Very refreshing and easy to drink, but this beer is so intense that it lends itself more to being a sipper.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company