Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,616
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,392 | Hads: 5,778
4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

Batch 005x2

A really exceptional beer as I have come to expect from Russian River, especially their wild ales.

The appearance is a dark and slightly hazy honey-amber without much lasting head.

It smells of pear and apples when first poured, and once the carbonation calms down a little, then the sour cherries emerge.

The taste has a bright acidic quality from the sourness, but also a sweet earthy balance from the pinot noir oak barrels.

The mouthfeel is very good, although not quite as spectacular as some of RR other brews. The carbonation isn't harsh, but it's not as soft and fuzzy as say their Pliny. Still excellent though.

Very drinkable beer despite having a wet finish of lingering pinot noir and cherries.

A very satisfying beer that has both the bright acidity of Temptation and the sweet complexity of Consecration. Liquid awesomeness.

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Copper with a thin white frothy head.

S: Very nice aroma and pungent. Sour with a touch of phenols. Apples and spice with some sweetness and an underlying woody / mushroomy note.

T: Sweet and sour up front fading to a spiciness and finishing dry and woodsy. Alcohol starts to come through at the finish. There's definitely a tanin note from the wine barrell againg.

M: Thick and smooth with perfect carbonation.

D: Great

O: This is unique and delicious. Proof that if you take the care in brewing a beer you would in creating a fine wine, the results can be just as mind blowing.

4.36/5  rDev -3.1%

Big thanks to Smarcoly and Tieman for providing me bottles of this. Thanks guys!

375mL corked and caged bottle into a Cigar City snifter.

Batch 006x1

A- Pours a deep ruby red color with about a 1 finger cream colored head that stays for a ridiculous amount of time after the initial pour, never going below about half a finger. Fantastic lacing on this one as well.

S- Strong cherries with a nicely integrated sour funkiness to it that I really enjoy. Wild yeast is definitely present as well, with a nice funky wet hay/barnyard scent, with slight oaky undertones. Very appealing.

T- Great sour and tart cherries up front with that funky wild yeast I come to expect present in spades. The sourness becomes more subtle as it warms, giving way to a little of the oak from the barrels. It's very subtle, but it's there and I love it.

M- Semi-smooth, light, and soft, with decent carbonation. Provides a nice and dry finish that lingers for a while after the last sip.

O- This is my second of the Russian River sours, and this one was more enjoyable than Consecration to me overall. Love the use of the cherries and the nice oak presence as well. A fantastic example of a wild and a great introduction to wilds as well. Very well done.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Batch 007. Figured I should review this beer since I have had it multiple times. Served at 50 degrees into 'tion tulip. Pulled the cork a loud pop....gotta love it.

A: Aggressive pour leads to one finger head of tight bubbles that dissipates to a thin ring. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Beer is copper color an orangy red color...looks like the sun, firey and bright. Awesome. 4.5

S: Smell isn't all that strong....definitely smells a bit sour...slight vinegar....the smell is definitely not supplication's strong point but still its nice and changes as the beer warms. 4.0

T: Taste is supplications strong point. I love this beer. Super tart cherry flavor. Can definitely taste the barrel in this one. Taste on this one is hard to explain but bottom line is that its awesome. 4.5

M: high carbonation, super prickly like champagne. It goes down easy and leaves you wanting more. 4.0

O: Overall Supplication is one of my favorite offerings from Russian River. This beer is never disappointing and the hype around it is justified. I seek this out regularly every month or so. Thanks Vinnie for sending this awesome beer to Philly! 4.5

4.5/5  rDev 0%

A - Red with a faint orange hue, good retention and lacing.

S - Funky smell. With green apples, faint grapes with black cherry throughout. Hints of oak in the aroma.

T - Sour green apple/grapes in the front, leads into a pronounced wine finish. Soft due to being pinot noir. Finish fades into a mellow oak with a touch of sourness lingering.

M/D - High carbonation gives it a lighter mouthfeel, still maintains great drinkability.

O - Solid 4.5's.

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%

375ml bottle bought on vacation at Whole Foods in La Jolla. Served in a wine glass. Batch 8

a:murky red and orange. Looks like there is a good level of carbonation. Minimal head that fades quickly.

s: tart sour cherries, some citrus in there. Can tell there will be a good level of acid.

t: cherries up front. there is vanilla and oak in there. Good level of souriness in there without being overpowering and taking away from the cherries.

m: good carbination on the tip of your tongue at the beginning. It's not thin, but not syrupy either.

This beer is world class. Perfect amount of tartness and I am a sucker for cherry beers.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a juicy amber red, clouded with biotics. Head is bubbly and swirled. There's probably no bottle more enticing than an RR sour's, or maybe my response is just Pavlovian. Either way the cork and cage are definitely appropriate here.

Aroma is just step away from that of Temptation. Mostly must and hay, sawdust covered floorboards. I've heard such smells compared to cheese, fungus, sweat, and the always descriptive "funk," "barnyard," and "horse blanket." Luckily there is a pleasant backdrop here of cherry, apricot and peach, suggesting that us sour-lovers are at least not completely off our rockers.

This is by far the most delicious wild ale I've ever had. Keyword here is "refreshing." Balancing out the sour notes are sweet stone-fruit and assertive oak. Describing the sour flavor is more difficult. I'm not getting much of an acetic vibe here, the pungence is more easily ascribed to whitish grapefruit rind without the bitters. Vivid carbonation really props up the intensity of this beer. Certainly worth the price, and that's saying something for me. Superb.

4.23/5  rDev -6%

New 375ml bottling, Batch 4x2

Clear reddish-amber. Plenty of head upon pouring which dies down to a steady cap of bubbles. Plenty of lacing. Swirling the glass brings back a really nice head again.

The aroma is bright and tart. The tartness is acetic, and smells slightly oaky as well.

Taste starts bracingly sour (duh). More vinager-y tartness. Cherries are evident in the middle, and then finishes with a tannic dryness. Sour, yet very drinkable and refreshing!

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Batch 005x3, reviewed 2/1/11. Tulip glass.

A- Clear amber/rosy color. Some sediment in the second pour. Lots of active carbonation. Poured with 1/4" light peachy off-white head that settles to a lingering thin coating. Some light lacing.

S- Funky brett and fruity/cherry sweetness.

T- Funky brett and definitely some lacto as well upfront, extremely tart fruitiness with some cherry notes. Some faint oak at times. A bit of lemony citrus undertones as well. Incredibly smooth, tart, and extremely awesome.

M- Light bodied with tons of fine carbonation. Smooth and dry.

D- Thankfully I don't come across this often so I can honestly write that I will drink it every opportunity I get. Really excellent. The funky brett flavor just shines in this brew. Smooth and tart. Complex and well balanced all around.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

375ml batch 04X1. This might just be my favorite sour by RR. This sour solder is orange/amber in color with a small head. The old cake whole is inundated with tart and sour cherries, light fruit, oak, funk, and brett.

4.44/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 003 at the RR taproom

A: Cloudy, murky red/brown with a small white ring of bubbles.

S: Acidic, sour and fruity. Some cherry aroma on there, and a healthy portion of "biotics"

T: Sharp sour kick with some real sweet, cherry fruit and malt in the background. It's probably the least sour of the RR barrel aged beers, but it's still got a kick.

M: lively and silky and dry.

D: Very drinkable for the style. I could have a few before needing something sweet or some food.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Recently received this in a trade with pwoody11 (thanks again), and since it was the newest batch and I have some older stuff in the basement I figured it'd be worth drinking soon and adding the dregs to my oude bruin in secondary. Cracked this one open after a hearty dinner of rich beef stew. Really cut through all the rich robust flavors, though I'm glad I waited to drink it as an after dinner drink.

A: Nice auburn with your typical barrel-aged sour head, a quick pop that fades right away.

S: The bugs are present, but I'm still getting a lot of yeast character. Its certainly got an acetic punch too it, but not much of the funk I sometimes get from this beer. Sour cherries are very pronounced. There's a nice rich brown sugar sweetness in the background as well as a bit of oak character to be found. Pinot noir is kind of hard to miss.

T: A bit more funky than the nose first made me think. Lots of sour tart puckering (three adjectives, you are warned) cherry flavor. There's a strong spice not that I'm guessing is from the Pinot Noir barrels. For being sour there's enough residual brown sugar & molasses sweetness to overcome any notions of straight vinegar.

M: Lively carbonation carries this light to medium bodied beer. That said, as it warms a lot of body is lost. Due to the tartness and slight tannic nature finish is very dry. Alcohol becomes more present as it warms as well.

O: Reading over my review I keep thinking it sounds like I didn't really enjoy this one. I did, I always do. It was different than other bottles I've had, which is of course to be expected. Its not a perfectly balanced beer, but its an extremely enjoyable one that fully deserves the praise it gets. It really was a nice contrast to dinner, and I'm hoping it'll do some great things to my conditioning beer.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

Drank on tap at Barcade Philly

A = A deep orange with some brownish tints to it. Very clear. Minimal head on this pour.

S = We really had a hard time picking out any special scents. Just well balanced.

T = Cherries. Tart. That was our big takeaway from this one.

O = A great beer, but not my favorite style of beer. That is on me and not Russian River though.

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

App- A slightly murky maroon with whitish-pink head. Lots of lactic lacing

Sm- Tart cherries, oak, funk, and a roasted toffee hiding in the back.

Ta- Cherries, but not very pronounced. The tartness is there but is seems to come from the yeast not the fruit. Funk is minimal and comes through with some barnyard smells. The malts are rich and have a some sweet caramel, toffee flavors.

MF- Small bubbles with minimal carbonation. Nice.

DR- Amazing. Another winner that can be savored slowly (because you don't want it to end) over and over.

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%

Batch 006 (bottle says 006X1). 375 mL. Poured into my Stone Old Guardian Barleywine goblet. My favorite glass these days - works wonderfully with several different styles, especially puckery ones like IPAs, DIPAs and SOURS.

I actually pulled this one out of the fridge because I had a greasy quesadilla from a Lincoln Heights Mexican hole-in-the-wall up on North Broadway called Carnitas Michoacan. Needed something acerbic to settle the stomach. This one fit the bill nicely.

Poured like the red-orange hues of the sunset. Really a beautiful color, the red must be coming from the cherries. Respectable white head, really great lacing. This bottle came out nicely and perfectly conditioned.

Smells like mouth-wateringly tart cherries, some vague sweetness and the oak is definitely present.

Wow, this one is sour, but it's nice. The sour cherries are dominant here, there's some mild sweetness, which provides some balance making this one more pleasant. The oak starts to come to the forefront and then begins to recede in the follow, but lingers in the aftertaste. The oak really does a great thing for this brew - sometimes this barrel aging stuff gets a little gimmicky, but this is right on. It adds wonderful complexity - the cherries and the oak infused with a quality sour are what makes this beer something quite special.

Mouthfeel is fairly light in body, decent carbonation, but also a bit of a softness.

I could drink a good amount of this. It's really good, complex and interesting, but remarkably drinkable. Makes me really happy.

I'm a learner in the sour department, but this beer converted me to the style. I enjoyed it and rushed out the next day to procure another bottle. This will be a beer I'll seek out as a regular whenever it's available.

4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

I was walking through SF and came upon a small corner bottle-shop. I went inside and, WTF?!? It was like a beer mecca (there's irony here people); where things I'd only heard about were just sitting on the shelf waiting for someone to purchase. Why, there's a Black Albert, sure, I'll take one. Oh, a Supplication? I would love one...

Have I mentioned that I like sours?

No, well...

I don't know how to put into words the level of love that I have for this beer. It's perfectly balanced, it's got amazing depth, the barrel, the cherries, oh my...

Right, tell you why I like the beer: it's simply one of the best examples of a barrel aged sour beer that exists. The flavor is slightly fruity, puckery, and has these amazing layers that just keep coming. It's one of the best beers that I ever had. I disconnected my analytical beer drinking side, sat, and sipped thinking, "oh god" over and over. Not many beers allow me to do that.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%

Batch 003

a - cidery color, red, clear, lots of head. No gush but tonds of head. Bubbles are like paste on the glass.

s - cherries and sour. Have to forgo some aroma whifs to taste because the head is not moving. The smell really singes my nose hairs a bit.

t - controlled tartness up front, but asservies and smooth in the middle and slight hint of phenolic (?). Clean finish. Not a long finish. Cherry pits. Phenol taste is slight, but it's something not awesome.

m - very smooth. Not over carbonated, but it should probably be super chilled before opening.

d - super high. I shared this tiny bottle and I want MORE! It's not mouth pucking sour but quality sour that's easy drinking.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

This poured an orangish copper in color with tinges of red and brown. It had a fluffy head of beige bubbles with faded to leave some island lacing from the constant bubbles. The nose showed off the sour cherries along with other red fruits, "brown" wood and an herbal funkiness. In the mouth this is extremely sour and acidic with the tart cherries being the domminate flavor and a tannic grip on the finish. While acidic, the midpalate does come off as balanced with a nice combination of carbonation and supple edges.

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow what an awesome sour! Never thought I wud have a better sour then concecration but I just did!! Brought this baby from Russian River back home to so cal in imperial.. And enjoyed it with boy Jared..

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

Batch 002. Sam from the Stuffed Sandwich was nice enough to sell this to me.

A - The beer pours with a rich foamy head. The color is a light red to amber. Head disipates to a skim of white foam leaving a little lace

S - The beer smells of sour cherries. This would make the brewers of Rodenbach blush.

T - More sour cherries. I also taste the oak barrel. Incredibly balanced.

M - Well carbonated, medium bodied, very dry finish.

D - Incredibly drinkable. This is probably Russian River's most balanced beer. If you can find it, buy it and drink it.

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

A: A lot of power behind that cap, intense carbonation. Fairly aggressive pour into a tulip. Light brown/caramel body with a two finger, creamy off white head.

S: Strong oak, very vinous - reminds me of my uncle's wine celler. Dark fruit, mostly cherry but some prune. A slight funk to the nose, and a touch of alcohol.

T: Holy sh*t. Definitely get tart cherries, a bit of orange peel, lemon, grapefruit. A funky quality, but not Lambic funk - it's more earthy, more subtle. Get the oak, and wines notes. Unbelievably clean finish, slight bitterness.

M: Funk and carbonation just roll over your tongue. Medium body. Leaves your mouth watering begging for more but also very satisfied.

Amazing brew. So consistent. A lot of beers have a great nose, but fail to back it up in the taste or mouthfeel - everything is in sync here. Gets better with each progression.

3.81/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3

I guess sours are just not for me i mean i am a beer drinker if i wanted something like this i would be a wine drinker!! I will stick to my manly big boy beers and leave the sours to the wine lovers. Shouldnt be considered a beer at all!

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served on tap at O'brien's TION night in a 13oz Chimay. Have had it in bottle (batch 003) on several occasions previously. Bottle matches tap pretty close.

Color was a dull gold with a light white head. Smells of tart fruits, cherry, apple, sourness. A very drinkable sour, less biting than a flanders or some of RR's other sours, medium bodied, and less fruits in the taste than I expected. Good stuff.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Batch 4x4, thanks to a trade with Popkas

Pours a beautiful deep ruby red with a finger of soft cream colored head that has great retention and great lacing. Smells of wood, red grapes, some spice, cherries, and definitely a funky brett smell. Taste is much like the nose but now I can pick up on raspberries and the vinegar cuts through, in a very pleasant way. The sourness is mouthwatering and refreshing, not burning or overly drying. Nice and sweet but nicely sour too, ends pretty cleanly but still has a faint lingering grain taste, but more noticeable in the slight aftertaste are the sour cherries. Wonderful carbonation and coating round out the dry and tart body. Incredibly delicious and enjoyable, though I could see how having much more would be troublesome for a person's stomach or tongue. Still, this is an incredible beer and I wish that RR distributed in MA!

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Pours a rich copper /amber color topped with a (1) finger foam head. The balance between the head and body is exceptional... maybe I am just a pro at pouring. Leaves a light lacing around the tulip glass as carbonation continues to rise. Looks like the standard for a tart brown ale

Smells - fruity and tart. Wife says she can smell a bitter fermentation.

Taste - The sourness stands out heavily from the lactobacillus and pediococcus, fruity tart from cherries. Grapefruit tartness hangs at the end. Having a hard time pulling the Brett our with the overpowering sourness.

Overall - Refreshingly well-balanced between the sour and fruit. Great for a sunny afternoon picnic or just complimenting some brie crackers. If you like sours this is the one to have.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company