Follow our progress ...

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Reviews: 1,426 | Ratings: 6,070
4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to TicoCali for this.

Pours a quite transparent burnt umber. Very attractive. Not much head to speak of. Just a whisper of off-white that dissipates immediately. Lots of cherries in the initial nose, but that gives way to both a sharpness of what I guess would be the pinot barrels and a bluntness of wood (guess what that's attributed to). I don't know if brett's involved, but there is a layer of funk in the nose, as well. There is a robustness to the nose, like vanilla-coated cranberries. Holy moly, this is a great sour. Just a wisp of sweetness at the start and then a torrent of pucker grabs your tongue. Getting some green apple-type pucker with deeper raisin and wine notes. At the very end, there's a semi-thick layer that blunts the sour onslaught and invites a new sip. Very interesting how much the middle bounces off the tongue and how buoyant this sour is. Great stuff.

Like It? Yes, Of Course

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I mean, what more is there to say about this beer that hasn't already been said? It's fabled, it's revered, it's adored and rightly so! Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Russian River "tion" glass. Batch 005x3.

Poures a purplish magenta with a thin white head that dissipates to just form a crown around the glass of pure white bubbles. I've never seen a beer with the depth of color this one has, ever.

The nose is the best part. You immediatly get the sour, funky characteristics but they're all bound together with this extremely prominent red wine characteristic. Tons of oak, slight vanilla, and a not-too-well hidden tartness. Amazing what's going on here.

The taste is a journey on it's own. Initially when I sip this beer there is a wonderful red wine characteristic married with the oakiness that lends an almost sweet tone to the beer but then the tartness from the bugs takes over and just enhances the previous flavors amazingly without the sweetness getting out of control. Finishes extremely dry. Perfect carbonation.

Like I said, what else can you say about Supplication or Russian River as it is? They're super hyped and deserve that hype. Supplication is probably the best American Wild Ale in existence. I need to buy this by the case. So in love.

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml corked bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A- Pours a pretty reddish-brown color with a thin half-inch head that dissipated rather quickly. Not much lacing, but I was drinking it from a hotel glass of dubious cleanliness. Minimal but sufficient effervesence.

S- Definitely started with the unmistakable odor of sweet and sour cherries, with fruity notes that smacked of raisins, dates, and currants. I caught some sweet malt back there, too, but it was elusive.

T- Wow...clean, dry, tart...reminded me of a fine champagne. Very complex with a nice fresh finish that left me wanting another sip. As I savored it, I also was reminded of a fleeting bourbon-like woody taste, with a faint but perceptible spiciness. Overall, a great balance between all the flavors.

M- Outstanding. Not too thin, very crisp and dry, the tartness faded quickly, leaving a clean puckering feeling to my mouth.

O- I picked this one up from a Denver liquor store, and I had to ask for Russian River products, which they had stashed in the back. Now I know why. I wasn't disappointed. American Wid Ales are just awesome, and this is my second brew from the style. Overall, absolutely incredible, to be enjoyed any time of year. Absolutely delicious and highly recommended.

Reviewing from notes a week or so ago. Batch 003

A - Tangerine-to-caramel with an off-white head

S - apple, pear, yeast, pepper

T - Tart like sour apple, tangerine tind (a bit sharper than orange, so I'm guessing here), lots of dried apricot especially at higher temps, very sour cherries, slight funky note that morphs into a meaty taste - like proscioutto and melon. Quite a bit going on

M - thin and bubbly with a "10% juice" backbone (i guess that means slight syrup underneath)

D - quite high - almost puckeringly sour at first, but refreshing. High temps it becomes a bit too much like juice

Thanks to BBothen for the chance to try this

4.03/5  rDev -10.4%

I poured the contents of a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The head filled it to the rim, then settled to a dense 1/4" lacy layer. The color was a light orangy-copper color. I held the beer up to the light and saw a swirling cloudiness that made it seem like something significant was going on inside that glass. I was anxious to proceed.

I perceived the odor as a mixture of cherries and pine.

Upon entering my mouth, the first sensation I felt was tartness, extreme tartness to the point where could actually feel the glands in my neck swelling from the shock. I quickly identified the source of this tartness as a cherry flavor which gradually became sweeter and more soothing as my taste buds adjusted. Mixed with this was a flavor reminiscent of champagne.

It was very abrasive on the palate, acidic, somewhat vinegary, somewhat heavy on the carbonation.

Tart cherries? Acidic? Vinegary? Abrasive? Despite all of these seemingly deterrent qualities, I actually enjoyed this one. It went down more easily with each sip, and not just because the alcohol was taking effect. I liked that the cherry flavor was tart rather than sweet, as it tasted more genuine and better complemented the other intense flavors.

Supplication is unlike anything I've ever had; in a blind taste test, I'd wonder if this was, in fact, a beer, and not some other category of alcohol with which I'm not familiar. Maybe I'm just not that well versed in high quality brown ales, or maybe this one's just in a league of its own.

I decided not to read the bottle before trying this so as not to bias
my senses, but now that I read the description--the year of aging, the winemaking background of the brewer, the similar process to champagne making--I understand why this beer tastes so unusual.

I'll definitely pick this one up again on occasion, and I'd like to try it with a heavy meal, perhaps some tri-tip and mashed potatoes.

3.91/5  rDev -13.1%

I acquired this one in a trade from solomongrundy. Awesome trader, thanks again!!! Poured from 375 ml bottle into a chalice. It pours a beautiful pinkish orange with a fizzy white head that disappears rather quickly. Very Tony bubbles of carbonation. It smells of sour cherry and musty yeast. Mild scent of oak is there as well. Wow... Very tart. I'm not really a big sour fan but I've had a few and have begun to appreciate the style. Lots of sour cherry and wine flavors. Mild oak flavors hang on the tongue. This is a palate scrubber. It will obliterate any beer you've had throughout the night. One of the better ones I've had. Very acidic and dry. Tasty, but just not my favorite style.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Bought a 375mL bottle at Capone's...needed to try this before committing to a case. Batch 04x1 poured from the corked and caged bottle into my Troegs pint glass.

Appearance: Small off-white head on top of a copper colored beer with a reddish hue to it. Lots of active carbonation bubbles steaming up the sides of the glass. Slightly hazy. Real solid lacing.

Smell: A lot of pinot noir wine barrel in the nose. Hints of cherry and some tartness and funk in the background. Mild earthy aroma, but pretty sweet. Very complex nose on this one.

Taste: Very interesting. Kind of a sweet funkiness on the back of my tongue with a good amount of those pinot noir barrel and cherry flavors coming through. Not very sweet at all, just mild amounts from the cherry and oak. Finishes with a good sour bite and leaves tart cherry flavors behind.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Very refreshing despite its acidity. Sour kick in the back end gives it great balance.

Drinkability: High for a sour. The ABV is not oppressive and its smooth and balanced nature make it easy on the palate.

Very good sour. Perhaps not as good as Temptation in my mind (which is just phenomenal) but a very solid offering worthy of the price (whatever it may be).

A - Pours a surprisingly dark and malty, hazy ruby copper with a smallish light tan head that recedes at a slightly slower than normal pace to a thin fiml of microbubbles.

S - A pretty sour cherry kick in the nose that gets stronger as it warms. Only hints of funk with a slight vinegar character, a tad musty.

T - Sour sun-turned cherries, lime, and lemon zest. Oak has rounded this beer nicely. The barnyard indeed comes out here too as it warms, but never too much.

M - A little heavy for the style, but the relatively high carbonation helps to create a nice balance.

D - This brew is delicious, but far from the most complex sour I've had. It's a kriek alright, but not much more. I would seek out again, but wouldn't go too far to get it.

4.02/5  rDev -10.7%

Acquired in a trade from Emmasdad, thanks! Poured from a 12.68 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: Looks like a deep brown apple cider. When held up to the light it glows dark red. Pours a fingers worth of light brown/tan head. Very dense. It fades slightly but clings to the outside of the glass and remains throughout the drink.

Smell: Cherries and citrus dominate. Some apple as well. Smells like a wine, very robust, makes my mouth water.

Taste: Sour, very sour, plenty of tart cherries, green apples as well. Alcohol comes through in the middle. The oak comes out really strong as well with the tannin. Again, makes my mouth water, the flavors are so strong. Also has a pucker effect.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a medium to high carbonation. The sourness and the tannin remind me of a chardonnay, and leave me with a dry finish in my mouth. I am not crazy about that dry finish.

Overall: The tannin and sourness mellow as the drink warms a little, which I like. The sourness really wakes up the palate, which I also like. I could have a couple of these a night. The flavors are bold and delicious. Just flat out different, tasty, and I want more.

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: slightly hazy brownish red maybe from a little bit of mistaken yeast. white one finger head that dissipates into a thin layer. Decent amount of lacing

S:Grassy sour cherries. lots of oak with a bit of an alcoholic smell

T: really nice sour cherry and oak just like the smell. it hits hard with sour and just when its about to hit the "too much stage" it backs off like it knows what its doing.

M: doesnt completely dry my mouth out which lets me enjoy it more. just enough carbonation to allow the flavors to open up with each sip

D: Mighty tasty i must say. while i would want to drink this quite often i couldnt exactly down a whole bottle 375 or 750 for that matter. im still a bit of a rookie with sours but this is the top 2 along with sui generis for me. worth the money for a nice long really well made sipper beer

4.13/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a brownish orange with a small head that does stay around.

Smell is very overpowering strong sour cherries. There is a bit of citrus sour in there also.

Taste is also very sour. For me the sour flavor was overpowering most everything else.

Mouth was surprisingly thick with a good carbonation.

WOW. This beer was without a doubt like nothing I had ever had before... hard to tell at times if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I am leaning toward good but really struggled to finish with the overpowering flavors eventually getting to me. Quite a bit too much sour for me to enjoy finishing the entire bottle let alone having another.

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Pours a semi hazy brownish color Nice bubbles flowing from the bottom
S: Tart cherries, funk, fruity esters, strong funky cherry sourness dominates.
T: Follows the nose. Tart cherries, lemon zest, sour apple, and a slight oak note in the back of the palate. Really balanced. Not too sour, but just enough to get you hooked.
M: Pretty decent carbonation, dry mouthfeel, medium bodied.
O: This is pretty delicious. As it warmed sat for a while I got more of the oak in the nose as well as the flavor. It's pretty complex and just damn good. Only complaint was the price, and of course I had to drive to Philly to pick it up.

4.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml corked and caged bottle poured into an Ommegang Game Of Thrones chalice. Found it at Pinocchio's in Media, PA. Thanks to Evan from Manayunk Brewery for tipping me off to go there.

AP: Nice rich amber and reddish rusty colour. Initial head was about 1" but faded quickly to 1/8". Had that nice acidic sizzle sound of the carbonation with small tight little bubbles flowing from bottom to top.
AR: Has that classic aroma I associate with Wild Ales, Lambics, Sours, Flanders, etc., which is like taking a hard sourdough pretzel and liquefying it. Apple cider/vinegar notes as well with grape skins and cherries, a bit of barrel mustiness, too. Great nose on this.
T: Very much like the nose. The balance of the sour and acidity is nearly perfect. Nice apple cider like flavour with rye sourdough grains. The addition of the cherries and Pinot Noir barrel add great depth to this. They blend well with the base of the beer. After the initial cider taste, the fruits come softly rolling in, like putting a couple of dark grapes and a cherry in your mouth and biting down on them. I also get a bit of plum as well. A very well rounded beer.
M: Neither the sourness nor tartness are too much here. In fact, they are just about right. Good carbonation, crisp and acidic on the tongue, palate cleansing but a nice viscous feel from the fruit and barrel to make for a rather smooth finish.
OV: I'm really wishing this was a 500ml bottle right now. I love Wild Ales and Sours and this beer is delicious. Well done base with the addition of cherries and PN barrel mixing well and making this a well rounded treat.

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

Batch 003 poured into a Allagash chalice

A - Big white foamy head. Nice reddish amber color. Head disipates to a skim of white foam leaving a little lace

S - Tart cherries, citrus, sour. Maybe a bit of strawberry?

T - Sour/tart cherries. Slight oakiness with a dry finish. Just enough sweetness. Sourness lingers.

M - Active carbo, medium bodied with a dry finish

D - Fairly easy drinking for the style.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to witbier for the opportunity....
375 ML. Poured into my st. bernardus goblet

A: Pours a murky brownish golden red. One finger yellow, offwhite head to a thin cap in one minute

S: can smell apples, other fruits, maybe cranberries. can smell hints of alcohol, but not so apparant.

T: I wondered where the cherries were in the smell, but they hit in the first sip. This tastes like it could be a wine of some kind. grapy, viney taste with candied apple taste and other fruits.

M: velvetty... perfect for the style

D: gets better with every sip. That being said, I feel satisfied after drinking the one bottle...good thing too because it's $15/bottle.

4.27/5  rDev -5.1%

Color is clear and reddish, with a small head that fades quickly. Some earthy scent and some, but less, earthy taste. Bright with carbonation, maybe even a little too much. The RR sour taste is nice and cleaner than many other sours. Burns all the way down to the stomach, which is the only thing that decreases drinkability.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Very dark amber color with a small head of pure white bubbles that hangs around for quite a while and some lacing. Nice and inviting.

Smell: Sour and unique aroma. Very fruity but I'm having difficulty picking out anything specific. Smells great though.

Taste: This is an amazing beer. The flavor revolves on my palate from sour to cherries to salty to bread to the moon. I am truly blown away by this beer.

Mouthfeel: Great mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation and perfect body. Just perfect.

Overall: So impressed by this beer and would happily drop another $15 to get another bottle.

4.05/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

375ml Bottle poured into a tulip

A - Pours with a ruby translucency, head was a finger but was almost gone before I could observe it. Interesting that this was originally a brown ale as it looks nothing like that after the almost year of labor put into it.

S - Intoxicating. Sour cherries and a bit of alcohol warms the nose. Smells almost like the favorite sour cherry chewy gummy things of my youth. I know I said this on another recent review but this is one of the best smelling beers Ive ever smelled. Maybe my nose is just getting better

T - It should be mentioned that this is also my first sour ale. Interesting. The sour cherry flavor from the nose comes across slightly but the wine undertones are definitely stronger. The funk of traditional sour ales is definitely strong. Not sure this is my favorite style although if it were stronger on the sourness it would not be as tasteful I don't think. Still really enjoyable and pleasant, but with the price I will save this for really special occasions. I am curious about how it would age though, so I will probably toss a few bottles in the cellar

M - Really pleasant carbonated, a thin mouthfeel leaves the sour cherry and wine flavors sitting on your tongue to linger.

O - I'm sure if I had more context for the style I would have been wowed by this beer but as such I am a sour noob. I still loved the cherry and wine notes and think those will come out stronger as I age it (hopefully!)

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Picked up a bottle of this at Capone's. Poured into an appropriate Russian River Barrel aged glass. Poured a dark red/light brown murky color. The smell was very yeasty which was expected because of the appearance. The taste was great. Sour and yeasty with a little carbonation. This was a nice wild ale and was enjoyed over an hour to experience different temps. Another good barrel aged product from Russian River.

3.53/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a tan amber red, with a thin white head. Smell is a mix of sour fruit with musty funk, taste is more of the same. The beer has a good malt sweetness that comes through a little, but the taste is overall dominated by the tartness. A good beer, but not for all occassions.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from cork and caged 375ml bottle.
Batch :04X5

First sour ever so lets see what these are all about.

A:pours a burnt orange color with an appealing amount of cloudiness. The head is bubbly lace in the shade buttermilk. Its leaving nice thick lace sheets comprised of foamy bubbles. The top of the head is smooth and frothy looking

S:gobs and gobs of sour cherries and yeasty funk. No booze present in the smell but its almost like brandy soaked cherries. Very sweet smelling and I cant really pick out a ton of brett but it is apparent.

T: WOW. I have heard sours were interesting and that in no way could describe this beer. No amount of words could ever describe this much flavor. First a TON of sour, all different types. mainly cherries but there is a reminiscence of other fruits as well like apples but its mostly a berry sourness. There is a sweet flash almost as things shift from sour to smooth. No off flavors to be found or any alcohol. The aging has done amazing for this beer as all the types of yeast now work as one smooth complex flavor that melds perfectly with the sour from the cherries. The finish is clean and smooth with no aftertaste. I am very impressed.

M:Carbonation is almost the the level of champagne but it fits this style perfectly. Lots of bubbles keep things moving along nicely. Its very nice although im not really sure what the mouthfeel is supposed to be on these or how difficult it is to attain but there is for sure nothing wrong with it.

D: This is great beer. By all accounts this beer is delicious. I cant imagine having a lower quality version. The sourness does take a little getting used to after the initial sip but its all world class from there.

4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from bottle to my RR goblet
Batch 5

Color: A hazy copper color with hints of brown at the core of this beer. A nice nickle sized head forms of the off white color. A good amount of lacing is left behind in the glass.

Nose: Complex and intense! Tart cherries hit first followed by hints off oak and wild yeast funk.
Rounding off the aroma of this beer are apples and a slight vinegar smell.

Palate: An amazing mouth feel. Sour/tart with a great level of carbonation. The cherries coat the tongue and are then washed away by earthy tones and barnyard flavors.

Finish: Wow! Dry and complex. An immaculate beer that offers plenty of texture and surprises. One of the better beers in the world.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

My wife was visiting her parents in Vallejo over the fourth, and went through Santa Rosa on her way to a spa treatment at Osmosis, just outside of Sebastopol (I think). I had cajoled her into stopping in at Russian River on her way back and picking up anything that wasn't either Damnation (of which I have thre bottles in the basement) or Sanctification (which I'd already had). She came back with one bottle each of Temptation and Supplication.

Appearance: Gorgeous. Pours into my wine goblet a light golden brown, then as the glass fills it exposes its murky, cherry-colored heart. This is a beer with gentle secrets.

Smell: The oak from the pinot barrels is really the predominant smell, but it backs away to expose the light fruitiness of the cherries, brett and candy sugars.

Taste: Very, very nice. Again, light and fruity (almost like a chardonnay), but the oak and the cherry truly take over in the middle, with the oak politley excusing itself and allowing the cherry to dominate the finish. A light alcohol warming once the beer comes up to temperature.

Mouthfeel: Exquisite. Gentle, but weighty. This is a 7% beer that isn't shy about throwing it's weight around, however, it isn't overpowering. A wonderful balance.

Drinkability: This is hard to quantify. I have to say a four, because I think I could (at most) drink maybe three glasses of it. It's a sipping beer, a conversational beer, not a session beer.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Rusty, cloudy, a brownish murkiness almost caramel hue

N - Very tart, unripe cherries, raspberries, freshly picked fruit, vinous, tart puckering stone fruit to maybe even blackberries wraps around a nice wafting barnyard wet hay, mossiness; smattering of Belgian like spiciness like peppercorn and a little spike of veiny blue cheese.

T/M - Super tartness assaults the palate up front but levels with an irony, long and dry finish; mineral oil, seltzer water; texture is reminiscent of an unblended lambic, a little thinness mixed with a champagne feel. As it warms we get more of the stone fruit bitterness like grape skin or even lemon skin, more vinous, red wine vinegar.

D - This is an excellent, teeth chattering sour beer but something I can drink a lot of, like drinking a dry, expensive champagne without the bubbles.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

Served on tap at Russian River brewing company, Santa Rosa Ca. First I'll have to warn that this is the most expensive beer that RR makes, coming in at $12 for a 12oz bottle, so the best way to enjoy it is by the glass which is only about 6 bucks. The reason being is that this beer is aged in pinot noir barrels in the nearby wine country, and uses expensive ingredients such as the sour cherries which gives the brown ale the sour.

Most people will admit they don't like sour beer, and it does sound gross at first, but give this a try and you won't be disappointed. This is the kind of sour ale where each sip beckons for the next. A refreshing change from the hop overload of RR's famous other beers. The taste is dominated by the sourness of it, but in an enjoyable way. The mouthfeel is wine like in it's tartness, but entices you to drink more. This is a beer that defines specialty, hand craftsmanship, and care. Get it on tap if you can, this beer does NOT bottle well.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company