Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,560
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,365 | Hads: 5,640
4.08/5  rDev -8.9%

It pours a pleasant amber color witha nice fluffy slightly off-white head to it. There is a good amount of carbonation rising up giving the head some nice retention. It leaves some fairly thick lacing as it recedes. It has a very dry smell consisting mostly of sour cherries. Notes of a dry white wine give it some nice complexity.

The first sip is very tart, with a slight cherry finish to it. It definitely has some solid bite to it. The more it warms up the more the wine-like qualities of the beer come through, and the tartness mellows somewhat. Some light phenols and hints of brown sugar are there as well. The carbonation is rich and gives it an excellent mouthfeel. Overall, excellent beer. (701 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

12.7 oz brown bottle, corked and caged, batch 003.

Pours a nice amber color with slight auburn hue to it, topped with a foamy ring and skim coat of head that lasted the entire glass. clear until the last little pour when i got some yeast into it. Laces nicely.

Smell is very tart and funky from the second i popped the cork out of the bottle. no denying the sourness of this one without even tasting it. It makes my mouth water just smelling it.

Taste is sour. I would say tart, but this goes right to the edge of tart and then one step further. once you get your jaws unlocked there are some subtle oak and vanilla flavors along with some sour cherry notes. It has a sour candy sweetness to it that makes it very enjoyable and keeps it from going over the top. It finishes like a dry wine, begging for you to drink more.

Mouthfeel on this one is good. There is plenty of carbonation to keep this one from being overwhelming while keeping a nice thick film of head for the entire glass.

As for drinkability, the only reason it does not get a 5 is that it is so hard to come by. I could drink this all day, although it would have to be sipped :) there is no hint of alcohol in this one, completely masked by the tartness. I have a few more of these i wanted to age, but not sure how long i will be able to hold on to them now that i popped the first one open! (1,368 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to myself for this one wow did I like it.

A: Pours a nice murky amber hue with a huge rocky head in the proper barrel aged Russian River tulip. Nice tiny bubbles rise to the top to maintain the head. Overall excellent head retention.

S: Wonderful aromas with tons of tart Bing Cherries. You can tell this one is barrel aged as the oak vanilla and sour wine really come thru.

T: Even better than the aroma. This one is worth every dollar I spent to get it shipped to Florida. Tons of tart ripe cherries right from the start. The barrel ageing really comes thru with tons of oak and vanilla. Wow very vineous this is one well crafted brew. Beneath all this there is just a touch of sweetness. I bought a second to trade but I am sorry I will be enoying it myself.

M: Light in body very spritzy. Very guezue like wonderful overall.

D: I love this, glad I shared it but could have enjoyed it myself no problem.

Overall: Great Brewer, Great Beer... If you have not tried it do all you can to get it. Wonderful!! (1,019 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a corked and caged bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance - Pours a murky copper color with a picturesque tight white finger length head. Lite lacing on the sides, as it forms small patches in spots.

Smell - Cherries and oak are present immediately. Very sour smell, almost akin to a flemish ale (DUCHESSE DE BOURGOGNE).

Taste & Mouthfeel - Wow! This is a sour beer! It's so tangy and sour you can't really taste much else. Definitely a sweet cheery flavor with a light oakiness to it. Feels very carbonated in the mouth but smooths out quickly, and finishes very dry.

Drinkability - Not quite what I expected. I expected it to be much sweeter and more balanced than just a huge sour tartness. A cool beer for the style, but I don't get all the hype. I could throw one back every once in a while, but not something I would seek out as an elite beer. Too tart to the Extreme for my taste. (901 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from slender neck bottle into an over sized wine glass.

A- Poured a deep burnt copper color with a nice one finger tight white head.

S- Very cherry and a bit of oak. On smelling it seems to have a bit of a sweet and sour nose.

T & M- Very sour. I was expecting this to be sour so it didn't take me by surprise. Its sour upfront but has a mild sweetness to it in the end. i can definitely taste the sour cherries. That's probably the most prevelant. Smooth on the tongue and the good carbonation balance gives it a little spice.

D- I'm definitely not a fan of this style. However for what this beer is trying to accomplish, it does it perfectly. In the right arena this is an exceptional brew. I would probably enjoy this more if it were paired with foods, but I'm just drinking it straight up at the moment. If your into trying new different styles, this is a must. It's the best Wild Ale you'll get. (911 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a hazy amber color with one finger of slightly yellowed head. Decent retention and no lacing.

Aroma has some barnyard funk, fruit, and elludes to tartness.

Taste is very nice. Tart cherry with a dry finish makes the mouth water for more.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and finely carbonated.

Drinkabilityi s fairly high. Alcohol is moderate and flavors are great, but tart beers are always limited in their consumption. (427 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375 ml bottle, batch 002.

Slightly hazy, amber-copper body with a dense finger of dirty khaki head. Great lacing. Intoxicating sourish Brett funk hits the nose first. A bit musty with a tart edge. This lays over toffee-coated cherries and grapes. The winy fruits add a slight powdered sugar sweetness to the nose. Notes of oak and leather as well. Wow.

Taste starts off rather tart and acidic. Lime and cherry tartness make up the most of it. Relentless sourness is backed up by slightly sweet cherries, red wine, and oak. Delicious. Finish remains tart and acidic with residual cherries, leather, vinous grapes, and oak. Very well done. Medium body with a very dry finish. Spritzy, sparkling carbonation. Would love to get more bottles of this! (747 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

pours a hazy copper into a tulip. Big, fluffy 3-finger head slowly fades to a thin cap with spotty lacing. Nose is all sour, tart fruits, with a bit of citrus & vinegar. MAN this beer is sour! I've only had a couple of sours, but this one really makes the lips pucker. Cherry, raspberry, and lemon all over. After a few sips, the sphincter-tightening sourness subsides somewhat, giving way to a pleasant sweetness, with a dash of bitterness at the end. The finish is crisp, dry, and refreshing. A brew unlike any I've had. And that's a good thing. I'd very much like to see what effect a good year or two of age will have.

Thanks to cloudskipper for the hookup! (662 characters)

This beer is, in a word, divine. If you believe sour is at the top of the beer-flavor hierarchy, as I do, than this beer is for you. If you don't believe this, well chances are this beer is still for you. It offers a rich amber color, abundant head, delicious aroma, and even better taste. Aroma is citrus-y, sour, candy-sweet, yet somehow (despite what I've already said) balanced and distinctly beer-like. Flavor is distinctly sour, although I've certainly had beers sourer. It has a musty, sweet-tart, clove, complex and delicious. Mouthfeel is excellent.

This is not a beer that is not easy for most of us to get our hands on. However, if you've not had it, you should travel, trade, or attend a festival to get it. (720 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to todd1 for this bottle!

A: Pours a deep murky orange with thin head that leaves very little lacing on the glass.

S: Smell of funkiness and spices with a deep cherry smell. Very little smell of oak but just enough to add a more complex nose leaving you asking...what the hell is that smell?

T/M: One of the most complex beers I have ever had roll across my tongue. The most misleading thing is that I would not relate any brown ale that I have ever had to this beer, yet the more I drink, the more subleties of a brown ale arise. The taste up front is a sour funky cherry taste. This is followed up with a sweet maltness that is hardly apparent but is the one thing that relates to a brown ale. About 1000 different tastes then swirl across your tongue consisting of 1000 different unknowns. I honestly can't begin to describe the tastes but they are delicious and they are there. The mouthfeel is amazing. Not too thin and not too thick, medium...just right! Wonderfully carbonated which adds so much to the beer.

D: Delicious. I could suck this down all day. The funky taste may get to you after a while but definitely not from this bottle! (1,155 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -4.7%

On the nose with cherries, literally. Fragrant cherry aroma hit me immediately. Reminds me of cherry sweet tarts or smarties . Looks great in my Duvel glass, perfect lacing and nice head. Taste is more tart than sour with slight notes of cherry chloraseptic, but not in a bad way, must be the Brett. As it warms, noticeable oak, well balanced. Drinkable? As much as any 12.7 ounce $15 "if you can get it at that price" beer can be. Kind of bummer that it is not more affordable and available. Would love for it to have a chance to grow on me more and perhaps share a little with the wife. Very unique! (601 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Purchased a couple of bottles on line. Glad that I did.

A- Pours a murky, dull coppery orange with a brief appearance of a thin white head. Minimal lacing

S- Some tangy, funky sourness. Able to pick up the woodiness easily. Some medicinal phenols in there.

T- Bright tanginess. Man, some great sourness on my palate. I do appreciate the sour cherries, but they don't jump out "cherries" to me. Mellow woodiness. Some bright citrus at the end.

M- Smooth, with beautiful tanginess. Lively bubbles, gets my salivary glands working.

D- Now while I love this unique RR offering, it has to be in the right setting. This needs to be paired with food, or enjoyed as you would a liquor. I would love to have multiple of these on hand to drink on a whim. (749 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

Batch 002. Sam from the Stuffed Sandwich was nice enough to sell this to me.

A - The beer pours with a rich foamy head. The color is a light red to amber. Head disipates to a skim of white foam leaving a little lace

S - The beer smells of sour cherries. This would make the brewers of Rodenbach blush.

T - More sour cherries. I also taste the oak barrel. Incredibly balanced.

M - Well carbonated, medium bodied, very dry finish.

D - Incredibly drinkable. This is probably Russian River's most balanced beer. If you can find it, buy it and drink it. (554 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%

Bought these on-line from Russian River and was generously sent to me by 0110x011. I love Russian River and I especially love these sour wild ales. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip. Batch 003.

Appearance- Pours a sunset orangeish pink with a nice big two finger bright white head. The head doesn't leave, ever, and the lacing that is left is bewildering thick and coating.
Smell- Mildly sour and tart with that fantastic yeasty wildness. Feint funk that isn't over the top like some of these can be (definitely not saying that in a bad way) and twinges of bright zesty citrus. The cherries are easily detectable and probably the focal point of the nose. A sort of metallic like sensation is given off; reminiscent of the sensation you get when smelling blood or rusted iron. Beautiful nose!
Taste- Beautifully sour and lactic but not puckering or vinegary. The Brett has done its job well on this one but I don't know how it doesn't have that sour lingering tartness that can sometimes make these brews hard to drink more than one. The cherries are sour and raw with a very fresh vibrant taste. The oak woodiness isn't as prominent as I expected but this brew has more acidic wine character than the others like it I've tried. Apparently the pinot noir has really worked its way into this one. Lightly funky and dank this brew is everything I could want in a wild ale. The aftertaste lingers with sweet twang that is lighty vanilla, lightly cherry.
Mouthfeel- Very sharp aggressive carbonation with a fairly hefty body and a dry quenching finish.
Drinkability- This is one of those brews that I could easily enjoy daily and probably not get sick of it. The sourness isn't over the top but it's prevalent enough to satisfy that sour tooth that I've acquired as of late. Terrifically balanced and funky I think this is a absolutely brilliant brew that must be tried! Big thanks to Matt for sending this my way! (1,917 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2%

Amber with some off white fizz. Tart, yeasty aroma. Begins with a sharp, prickly tartness and lively, acidic fruit over some bread and yeast. Mellows out quickly and layers of lean red fruit come through, with a lot of musty, earthy undertones. Barnyard, straw and wood notes add complexity. Cherry flavors are lean and subtle, but add some red fruit acidity. Mouthfeel is medium/light and a bit creamy. Complexities evolve as it warms, leaning toward juicier red fruit towards the end, with some semi dry sherry flavors. Finish is creamy and dry. Very very nice. As top notch as this is I think its a bit pricey. For $14 it should be a 750. (641 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 003 poured into Delirum Tremens snifter. Poured a golden amber color with slight off white head that was at least 2 fingers thick. After minutes stil an active head with great lacing. Smell is sweet bread, a slight musty brett funk, a slight phenolic smell. Taste is sour cherries some spice, a little creamy buttery nut like flavor, and slight acidic bite. Mouthfeel medium body brew is on the dry side with a little malt sweetness to round out the feel. Carbonation is a perfect moderate level that makes this beer a light refreshing sour with a nice tart balance. (572 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Batch 003 poured into a Allagash chalice

A - Big white foamy head. Nice reddish amber color. Head disipates to a skim of white foam leaving a little lace

S - Tart cherries, citrus, sour. Maybe a bit of strawberry?

T - Sour/tart cherries. Slight oakiness with a dry finish. Just enough sweetness. Sourness lingers.

M - Active carbo, medium bodied with a dry finish

D - Fairly easy drinking for the style. (408 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

So I finally get to try some Supplication. After having the Beatification last night, I decided to pop this one right after it to see how it was. Batch 003, I grabbed this one right out of the fridge and poured it into a Chimay chalice and allowed it to warm up a touch before deciding to go in for the kill. Huge pop on this one, I probably could have shot the cork across the room! Fantastic looking 375ml bottle, with a nice cork and cage to it in typical Russian River fashion.

Appearance - Poured a very nice looking bright, golden, amber color right out of the gate. A very nice, and slightly hazy looking consistency to it, I did notice copious amounts of bubbles coming up through it, throughout the session. This was a really a very full looking beer already. A gorgeous looking head of about two fingers in height rose up off the top and stayed FOREVER. I actually had to walk in the other room and take care of my son for about ten minutes and came back and it was still there, I was amazed! Thick, and coating side glass lace then trickled down the side of it and really just thickened up the whole thing. This was amazing looking, probably the best I could have ever envisioned it looking.

Smell - The aroma was very nice and tart. Huge aromas of Brett coming off of this immediately, turning the whole experience over to the funk that was in the glass, very nice to see. This was a little bit more sweet on the nose though then some of the other sours I have had, and after a few minutes, the cherries were very much detectable, with a dark sweetness about it. Very bright aroma, that really stuck out at you and welcomed you in. Some light woody aromas as well now as it gets a little warmer, this was turning out to be very nice indeed.

Taste - Ok, so here we go again. The first thing I notice, naturally would be the fully funked out Brett flavor coming through, though I have to admit it seems a little tamer then the Beatification I had last night. Still damn good in its own right though, but some of that deep, resonant sour taste, seems to be a little more tame that what I was expecting, A good bit of sweetness in here, balancing this one out a bit more. Nice notes of cherries riddled throughout this one. Very nice. After the initial wave of Brett, some soothing cherry sweetness rolls in behind it, with some nice tones of wood raveled in throughout as well. Really well blended, the aging is really coming into play here now. Very dry finish with the long lingering taste of sour Brett that as time fades, it does as well, but the zap of cherry sweetness lingered on long past everything else.

Mouthfeel - There was a very nice feel to this one. It came off a little bit fuller then some of the other sours I have had, with more of a rich feel, and loads of carbonation. Never a dull moment here, with a smooth texture, but yet still a crisp finish to it adding a bit of a refreshing touch to it.

Drinkability - This was superbly drinkable. The alcohol was never a factor, and with soo much yeast, I doubt you would ever be able to find it. Nice subtleness with the cherries was just enough to balance this so that you could have easily more then one. I was looking for another right away!

Overall I thought this was wonderful and well worth the price and the hassle to get it. These RR sours are unlike anything else made. It was truly unreal to see these develop and I am glad I have a few to lay down for a while. You really need to go out and get this one if you can find it, it is definitely worth it! (3,541 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%

Didn't really pay attention to the batch number...but it's the most recent one..just got delivered from RR last Thursday.

A: Nice hazy reddish orange, fairly interesting color. It almost makes me think of tomato juice (if it were less pulpy). Fluffy head, about a one-finger retention.

S: Strong sour smell-I note sour cherries and the typical citric acid smell of brett beers.

T: Lemony citric acid flavor dominates at first, which I've found is pretty typical for the style. Still, even at first this is more subdued than some of the other sour beers I've had. Once I got used to this, the cherry really came out, along with a funky/woodsy taste. This just got better and better as I drank it with the nuances really coming out by the end of the glass.

MF: Pretty mellow carbonation, a good thing since this doesn't really need any more bite. Not quite mouth-puckering, but it gets the salivary glands working. Syrupy, full, and extremely dry finish. Alcohol is noticable, and by the end it had hit me a bit, but it's not that strong.

O: Best sour beer I've had to date (not that I've had a ton). Very drinkable once you get over the initial shock. I don't know if this will ever be a style that I just love, but this was surely worth the money. If this were more readily available, it would be something I'd try to keep on hand for when the mood struck me. (1,365 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Batch 003 bottle, poured into a fluted tulip glass.

Coloration is a burnished orange, leaning into very light shades of brown. Fizzy, wild foam on the first pour that settles down eventually, but rekindles with a swirl.

Alternating aromas of wood and wet stone, then wild yeast spiciness, with the occasional cherry note.

Huge sour cherry and oak, great puckering feel. Lingering spice, cherry pits, flesh, and skins. Aftertaste lingers forever, which reminds you to savor and take your time. Sourness is strong, near traditional Lambic levels. Utterly quenching and satisfying, salivary glands work overtime. Basically Supplication has all the best elements of Flanders ales, turned up to eleven.

It reminds me of Oerbier Reserva, in the level of sourness, wood, and tart berry flavors. They are both aged in wine barrels, possibly a key connection.

Thanks to Weibull & drseamus, who traded me one of these last year. (926 characters)

4.48/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a hazy red/orange color with a finger of foam. Active carbonation and solid lacing on the glass.

S: Cherries, some citrus, and some tartness.

T: Cherries! Sweet and sour cherries, with a bit of malt behind it. A hefty amount of tartness to it. Not hugely sour, but it's sour enough to make you notice. Damn good!

M: Active carbonation, bubbly, with a nice crisp finish.

D: This is an eminently drinkable brew. Huge flavor, and a great drinking experience. Well done. (482 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance - Redish orange color, creamy white head, very nice lacing, active carbonation

Smell - citrus, cherries, tartness

Taste - taste is very tart, a small bit of sweetness from the cherries, some oak flavors, very dry finish

Mouthfeel - creamy, high carbonation and a very dry finish

Drinkability - easy to drink for the style, very good, wish I had more of it (370 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -8.7%

A- Pours a deep sunset orange with a 1 finger, off white head.

S- Smells tart, cherries, sour funk. Theres a bit of an off smell here that is sort of sulfury. I like sour but the rogue smell really throws me.

T- Tastes sweet with light fruits that move into cherries. After that of course comes the sourness. None of the strange smell from the nose, incredibly well balanced.

M- A bit thicker than russian rivers other wild ales with quite a bit of carbonation.

D- This is another winner from RR. Well balanced, delicious, what more is there to say. Maybe not my favorite of the sours but it is certainly worth a try (or two). (630 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

Picked up a bottle today from South Bay Drugs and Liquor.

Batch 003.

Big pop! Lots of pressure but thankfully not a gusher. Pours a caramel color with some red overtones when held to the light. A frothy white head builds up to about two inches and settles to half within the minute. There are some lacing on the sides of the glass every time I take a sip.

Smell is great. Tart cherries with some wood, funk, sour apples, and pears. The malt is hiding in the background behind the fruitiness, tartness, and funk. Some toasted bread aromas begin to come through as it warms up.

Taste is of a lovely sour and slightly aggressive carbonation on the back of the tongue. It leaves a bit of a salty sensation on the palate and you can feel the acidity travel down to your stomach. It has a big apple taste upfront too and mixes well with the sour cherries. Some vinegar flavors near the finish and lots of sour lemons too. Lots of oak flavors and right now it seems to be suppressing the cherries. Would have scored higher on the taste if I could taste some more cherries.

Mouth-feel is aggressive and punishing with the sourness and carbonation. The fruit seems to come near the finish and in the after-taste. Not as aggressive on the tongue once it warms up but still quite sour.

I need to get some more of this stuff. (1,319 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 003 at the RR taproom

A: Cloudy, murky red/brown with a small white ring of bubbles.

S: Acidic, sour and fruity. Some cherry aroma on there, and a healthy portion of "biotics"

T: Sharp sour kick with some real sweet, cherry fruit and malt in the background. It's probably the least sour of the RR barrel aged beers, but it's still got a kick.

M: lively and silky and dry.

D: Very drinkable for the style. I could have a few before needing something sweet or some food. (479 characters)

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company