2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,973 | Reviews: 1,279 | Show All Ratings:
MalWilkinson

4.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

When it comes to wine, I'm a big pinot noir fan. That being said, to find beer aged in pinot noir barrels brings a smile to my face. Supplication has a dark orange/ruby red color to it with sweet, but mainly sour cherry aromas. The taste is of tart cherries with a bit of oak and raspberry.

I really enjoy this beer, it's sweet but still a true sour ale.

12-27-2013 19:35:26 | More by MalWilkinson
aquazr1

4.26/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle serves in a tulip.

A - Pours a dark amber color with a nice white foamy head. Nice head retention but little lacing.

S - Pick up the cherries immediately. Lovely aroma.

T - Nicely soured so as not to overwhelm.

M - Medium bodied with excellent carbonation.

O - A well done sour. This bottle was dated 10/21/13. Going to put away a couple to see how they age.

12-18-2013 04:24:41 | More by aquazr1
Dope

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 041113.

A: Pours a beautiful ruby red. Tall, fizzy tan head. Almost soda-like. Fizzes out pretty quickly. Zero lacing and little head retention.

S: Tart cherries with some leathery tannins. Hint of oak and a little sweet fruits join when swirled - sweet raspberries I'd say mostly? General berry fruitiness everywhere.

T: Whoa, much more sour than the aroma betrays. Tart grapeskins from the wine and loads of sour cherries up front. Sour cherries don't fade, they actually get more and more tart through the middle. A little bit of raspberry sweetness and then lots of oaky, leathery tannins in the finish.

M: Medium bodied, mouth-puckeringly sour.

O: Seriously sour, I actually think this was more sour than beatification. Or maybe it's just the wine adding more layers of tartness that amplify the sour cherries. I'm not sure. Strongest/sourest cherry flavor in a beer I've ever had. A little over the top for me, but obviously well crafted. Big and bright flavors for sure. Barrel aging isn't over the top and adds quite a bit of complexity. I'm not a big fan of wine or wine barrel beers so my subjectivity is showing with my scores. It's a good beer but just not up my alley, I think.

12-03-2013 05:41:26 | More by Dope
laglocal

4.01/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

375ml Bottle poured into a tulip

A - Pours with a ruby translucency, head was a finger but was almost gone before I could observe it. Interesting that this was originally a brown ale as it looks nothing like that after the almost year of labor put into it.

S - Intoxicating. Sour cherries and a bit of alcohol warms the nose. Smells almost like the favorite sour cherry chewy gummy things of my youth. I know I said this on another recent review but this is one of the best smelling beers Ive ever smelled. Maybe my nose is just getting better

T - It should be mentioned that this is also my first sour ale. Interesting. The sour cherry flavor from the nose comes across slightly but the wine undertones are definitely stronger. The funk of traditional sour ales is definitely strong. Not sure this is my favorite style although if it were stronger on the sourness it would not be as tasteful I don't think. Still really enjoyable and pleasant, but with the price I will save this for really special occasions. I am curious about how it would age though, so I will probably toss a few bottles in the cellar

M - Really pleasant carbonated, a thin mouthfeel leaves the sour cherry and wine flavors sitting on your tongue to linger.

O - I'm sure if I had more context for the style I would have been wowed by this beer but as such I am a sour noob. I still loved the cherry and wine notes and think those will come out stronger as I age it (hopefully!)

11-27-2013 23:23:30 | More by laglocal
vinny21bal

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

One of the best sours out there. Great beer. Temptation is my favorite of the line but this one is very amazing. Perfect sour with a little bit of funk like the old world sours. To many of the American sours are just sour and miss a lot of the funky barnyard flavor that a sour should have. If this beer is ever available. Don't think twice.

11-17-2013 04:54:51 | More by vinny21bal
detroithopluv

4.61/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought this beer from a liquor store in Sacramento last summer. It sat in my fridge for months. Decided it was a special occasion(Detroit Tigers vs Oakland A's playoff game 2) . I had forgotten what kind of beer this even was. I was very surprised to find it was a sour type beer. It smelled awesome. I can't even describe it. Then the taste....just awesome. Nice and bubbly.

10-29-2013 00:26:21 | More by detroithopluv
MNRealtor

This is one of my all time favorite beers. The last time I got to enjoy this beauty was while visiting the Stone brewery. There were so many amazing choices, but i could not pass up this one while sitting out on the Stone patio. I'm kicking myself that I did not bring any home with me to MN.

10-21-2013 16:32:34 | More by MNRealtor
Cubatobaco

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle dated 4/11/13 into a Riedel Cabernet glass.

A - Cloudy, copper in color with a 1/2" head that fades to a faint white ring. Scattered carbonation bubbles float throughout the glass.

S - Sweet and tart cherries on the initial whiff followed by the infamous funk. You can definitely detect the Pinot barrels on the nose. Beautiful fruit and hints of malts on the back end. Very clean aroma!

T - Flavors of oak and sour cherries accompanied by a well balanced tartness and sourness. As a former wine junkie, you can pick up the Pinot on the finish. No presence of alcohol.

M - A wonderful acidity while holding it in your mouth followed by a dryness once swallowed. Not overly sweet and the sourness delivers spectacularly.

O - This was well worth the wait! I've 5 bottles staring at me for months and decided that they had sat long enough. I cannot wait to try some of the year old bottles that I have as this can only get better with age. Seek this out and you will be delightfully satisfied!

10-06-2013 02:44:56 | More by Cubatobaco
Jas45678

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375 ml bottle (dated 12/17/12) into tulip

Pours a copper color with some floaties and a minimal white head. Smell is tart cherries, oak and a little Pinot. Taste is tart cherries and raspberries, I get a little bit of Pinot and oak. Not as tart as I expected. Medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation and a little dry. Overall it is very good, I just expected a little more due to its current ranking.

09-30-2013 00:43:36 | More by Jas45678
Fatehunter

Oregon

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a goblet. One finger of head on a deep amber colored body.
The aroma is a sour smell with brown sugar, wood and raspberry all mixed up in the best way.
The taste is quite sour with wood and raspberry.
The texture is crisper with moderate carbonation.
A great drink.

09-18-2013 04:36:00 | More by Fatehunter
Justin_Neff

4.64/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 12/2012

A: Pours a dark reddish/copper colored body. Dense, frothy head runs down the glass with no lacing but settles into a silky rim reminiscent of a latte.

S: Tart cherries. Mega funk. Oak. Brown sugary sweetness. Apple cider. Grapefruit and citrus. This smells brilliant.

T: Wow. There is a ton of funky sweet tart, balanced with loads of cherries and a white grape juice flavor in the finish. There is a perfect amount of oak to balance and round the whole thing out.

M: Heavy carbonation. Medium body. Puckering tart. Prickly. Dry.

O: Every bit of the hype is warranted on this one. Mind bending good.

09-12-2013 00:01:03 | More by Justin_Neff
NuclearRich

Connecticut

4.64/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A. Copper hues pour without any semblance of foam but there is some trickling streams of bubbles spattered about. Slight haze.

S. Oak, earth, tart cherries, mild funk

T/M. Yum! A light tartness plays very well with a light cherry sweetness, dry oak along with the tartness give a puckering feel. Well carbonated and feels effervescent. As it warms, more barnyard funk comes out.

O. Quite delicious and I was very happy to drink it!

09-10-2013 23:41:11 | More by NuclearRich
RaulMondesi

4.79/5  rDev +5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Raul is up in it at Haven's 4th anniversary in Orange, CA and he is feelin' it hard with a Supplication. And to think that this 90 degree heat is melting Raul; no no no, it's the Supplication. Beyonce one said, "life is but a dream;" and if that dream were Raul's, it would be filled with Supplication. Not overly sweet, not syrupy, just clean and smooth like, well, Supplication.

Yep!

09-05-2013 00:35:18 | More by RaulMondesi
TruePerception

4.11/5  rDev -9.9%

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

4/20/13

Russian River's Supplication: sour ale aged in Pinot Noir barrels with tart cherries added, 7.75% ABV, very carbonated;

Appearance: deep orangish-amber with plenty of grey sediment, no head;

Smell: sharply pungent, acidic fusion of Pinot Noir and cherry, faint woody notes;

Taste/Mouthfeel: sharp acidity, very raspberry-like fruit, red wine dryness, minimally bitter, orange-y citrus on the finish; good.

Poured into a pint glass.

09-01-2013 18:04:32 | More by TruePerception
Philousa

4.29/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pale brown with a good amount of brown head that dissipates very quickly, leaving nearly zero carbonation at the top of the brew. Active, visible carbonation in the brew. Sweet fruit in the nose, cherries and apricot come to mind. Some Belgian yeast and and subtle bitterness from hops are present with a little bread aroma with a swirl. Fresh baked white to be exact, for you perfectionists (goes with the pale malt). Grape aroma is very evident, especially with multiple whiffs; pinot is very evident and some might argue a little overpowering. Dark fruit hits the palate at first: cherries, apricots, sour date (is that possible?), then light fruit, such as green grape and pear, then sourness and bitterness. This last combo is face-punching. Seriously. The mouth feel is wet and sloshy, very thin, which is a contrast to the flavors.

This is a very flavorful, complex beer. Then comes the sourness! Woah! I ain't kidding! This needs to be more balanced for me. I really wanted to like it, especially after having consecration, but it just didn't hold up. If you really enjoy sour beers, then this is for you. I guess I'm just not up to the task right now.

---

After nearly two years since my initial review, I felt it time to revisit this one.

Pours a leathery copper color with big, effervescent head that fades quickly. The aroma is complex, but not overreaching. Cherries, dates, plum, and other darker pit fruit along with cranberries, lingonberries, and other tart berries. The malt is subtle, but there with a dark bread presence, like pumpernickel. The light berries (cranberry, etc.) dominate with a subtle bit of overcooked wheat crust. The sourness is most like vinegar, but the darkness in the flavor offsets it a bit. I also get some oak and it's not too subtle. The dryness of the finish really helps balance the oak, as I'm one that can think it's overbearing too easily. Sourness is substantial but not overpowering. I hardly puckered my face this time. The finish is only somewhat bitter, and I can tell the hops are not their best, which really helps keep the focus on the sour and barrel aspects of this brew. The feel is light, even for a sour.

This is a great beer, but not one to reach for other than a special occasion. The sourness isn't overpowering like before, though maybe I'm just more used to sours. The only big flaw is its lack of depth. This beer can wear on you quickly, especially when warmed.

08-27-2013 05:10:57 | More by Philousa
hoppytobehere

Colorado

4.26/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

375ml bottled on 4/11/2013.

A: Gorgeous ruby red body, hazy. Some floaties at the bottom of the glass. Thin head that has some decent retention.

S: Tart cherries, good amount of oak, pinot. As advertised and amazing!

T: I'm not a sour connoisseur, I've only had a few. This isn't as sour as the others I've had, but I'm OK with that. The pinot/oak flavors hit the tongue first. Then puckering sour cherry that finishes sour and dry. Very unique and RR did a great job with this.

M: Heavy carbonation, which works for the style. Dry like a red wine.

O: Awesome beer, glad I got to try it.

08-25-2013 23:18:00 | More by hoppytobehere
MighHighBrewer

Colorado

3.84/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a bottle dated April 11, 2013. Tried on August 23rd, 2013.

I had very high expectations for this beer. But in comparision with some other sours I've indulged in lately - Cascade, Crooked Stave, etc - this one was lacking. I have two major complaints:

1) The bottle I tried just wasn't very sour. On a 1:10 sour scale, this one probably ranks a 2 or a 3. Definitely not as sour as Cascade and Bruery's sours, for example. I was expecting much more of a acetic kick and this beer just didn't deliver.

2) The complexity was somewhat lacking for my taste. Again - with the batch I tried - the red wine/Pinot overpowered the cherries. To my palate, it tasted much more like a wine/beer hybrid than a sour beer brewed with cherries. I'd take down the barrel aging a notch and kick up the cherries.

Supplication is a good - maybe great - sour. But when measured against its reputation, the bottle I had fell short. To that end, it reminds me alot of Pliny - a very well-regarded beer surpassed by other beers in the same genre but still highly regarded based on name recognition. For sour-heads, this bottle is a must-try simply based on what it is. But for my money, there are better sours out there.

08-25-2013 01:50:13 | More by MighHighBrewer
BlackBelt5112203

South Carolina

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

HUGE thanks to beersndrums for this one! I am clamoring to try all of these RR beers.

375 mL bottle poured into a tulip at cellar temperature.

L – Hazy deep amber color with a 1-finger bubbly cream-colored head that fades rapidly into a ring of froth around the edge of the glass. Not much lacing.

S – Unbelievably complex. Sour cherries burst out right away, but on further analysis, I get Pinot Noir notes including more cherries and raspberries, obviously lots of tart lactic acidity, dry oak, some musty Brett, and a nice helping of sweet caramel and brown sugar malt. There’s more going on here as well, but this is what I can gather.

T – It starts off immediately sour with cherry, raspberry, and grape flavors followed soon by sweet caramel malt and brown sugar as soon as the acidity fades. As the taste progresses dry oak and musty, funky Brett appear and pair well together. Really, really tasty.

F – Medium-bodied, great carbonation, an effervescent, tart, sticky, and mouth-coating feel, and a sweet, sour, earthy, musty, and dry finish. There are so many flavors that meld together wonderfully and linger that I can’t just pick out a few. This whole beer comes together at the finish and is spectacular.

O – This is a fantastic beer and a great sour. It’s extraordinarily drinkable for a sour beer at nearly 8% ABV, I think due to the sweeter elements that balance out the sour ones. It’s very complex but very approachable at the same time. By that I mean that there are aromas and flavors that scream out at you but there are also layers upon layers of other aromas and flavors if you keep digging. Really my only complaint as others have said is that I wish it was in a bigger bottle so I could have more. The price is a little tough, too, especially for a bottle this size, but it really is a fantastic beer. Thank you so much for the opportunity to try this one, Jared!

08-15-2013 02:17:15 | More by BlackBelt5112203
beerloverofbham

Washington

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a schooner (not my first choice).
Deep copper in color with a thin, cream-colored, head, this had a softer nose than I expected; subdued scents of cherries and grapes, with a little bit of oak. On my initial taste the beer is only moderately tart, and flavors include cherries, grape must, and fresh blackberries from early in the season; it finishes dry with traces of oak. Hardly any sweetness at all. The carbonation I do sense quickly dissipates. Nearly as good as the bottle I remembered...

08-08-2013 09:30:53 | More by beerloverofbham
SebD

Ontario (Canada)

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: It has a nice murky orangy/brown color to it with some sediment. It has a nice light beige head that dies down moderately and leaves little lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of tart cherries, grapes, Pinot Noir, brett funk and some oak.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has alot of tart cherries, a definite sourness, grapes, Pinot Noir, woody oak and some brett funk. Great balance.

Mouthfeel: It has a med/high carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas.

08-07-2013 21:00:01 | More by SebD
Stinkypuss

4.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Russian River
Supplication

Poured into a snifter, pours a bright copper color . Had excellent clarity, though the head does die quickly. Aroma of funky bugs, cider vinegar, cherry, oak, and brown sugar. Has a sour aroma overall, which to a fan of wild ales, is quite delighting.

In the taste, puckering sourness, cherry pit, apple cider, lemon juice, vinegar, with a snappy lactic/acetic boom. Tart to sour, musty, oaky, and semi dry. Has the taste of white wine, not surprising through the stated use of Pinot Noir barrels. Mild herbal bitterness, the sourness really is the bite to this brew. Has a medicinal note, and the fruitiness of the cherry grows in the aftertaste.

A medium bodied, well carbonated offering, full of flavor. There is an oaky dryness with lingering fruit and sour notes sticking to the palate. Minutes after sipping there is still a strong sour flavor. This is a sipper meant to be savored.

Supplication makes for a great addition to any glass or beer cellar. Quite sour, mildly fruity, and full of wild ale funk. Enjoyable through and through, thanks to GodsBrother for picking me up a bottle from the brewery. Lovely stuff.

08-04-2013 01:22:57 | More by Stinkypuss
MNishCT77

District of Columbia

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12.68 oz. bottle purchased on a recent trip to San Francisco, unclear bottling date (batch #009), poured into my FFF Teku glass, drank 8/3/13 over an hour.

A: 2/3 - orange-brown coloration, minimal clarity (cannot see through), off-brown/white head dissipates into small glass lacings, surprising big alcohol legs for a 7.00%ABV concoction

S: 11/12 - lots of pungent sour notes admixed with cherries and mild tannins imparted by the use Pinot Noir bottles; really enticing aroma

T: 19/20 - on the anterior tongue, there's a strong sourness - vinegar, sour cherries and even some apple cider notes, in the middle of the mouth, some of the vinous qualities start to rear their head - tannins, grapes and stone fruit; the alcohol is present but certainly not overwhelming in the taste with some minor malt characters to hint at balancing

M: 5/5 - moderate bodied and appropriately carbonated for an American wild ale; really nice dry, crisp finish that doesn't linger with a puckering sourness

O: 10/10 - as opposed to some of their other beers, which I believe have a tendency to be overrated, this one lives up to the hype; on numerous levels, it's just about a perfect sour - tart, refreshing, dry with a complex aroma and flavor; cheers to Vinny C. for reinforcing my faith in the power of the sour!

TOTAL = 47/50

08-04-2013 00:37:13 | More by MNishCT77
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap @ City Beer. 2011 vintage

A - Dark opaque orange with a thin layer of white head

S/T - Vinegar, bready, tart, slightly puckering sour. Fruity/berry notes. Slightly acidic but not overwhelmingly sour.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation. Dry throughout.

08-03-2013 21:16:43 | More by TheSevenDuffs
GuinnessAtRogerWilco

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml corked and caged bottle poured into an Ommegang Game Of Thrones chalice. Found it at Pinocchio's in Media, PA. Thanks to Evan from Manayunk Brewery for tipping me off to go there.

AP: Nice rich amber and reddish rusty colour. Initial head was about 1" but faded quickly to 1/8". Had that nice acidic sizzle sound of the carbonation with small tight little bubbles flowing from bottom to top.
AR: Has that classic aroma I associate with Wild Ales, Lambics, Sours, Flanders, etc., which is like taking a hard sourdough pretzel and liquefying it. Apple cider/vinegar notes as well with grape skins and cherries, a bit of barrel mustiness, too. Great nose on this.
T: Very much like the nose. The balance of the sour and acidity is nearly perfect. Nice apple cider like flavour with rye sourdough grains. The addition of the cherries and Pinot Noir barrel add great depth to this. They blend well with the base of the beer. After the initial cider taste, the fruits come softly rolling in, like putting a couple of dark grapes and a cherry in your mouth and biting down on them. I also get a bit of plum as well. A very well rounded beer.
M: Neither the sourness nor tartness are too much here. In fact, they are just about right. Good carbonation, crisp and acidic on the tongue, palate cleansing but a nice viscous feel from the fruit and barrel to make for a rather smooth finish.
OV: I'm really wishing this was a 500ml bottle right now. I love Wild Ales and Sours and this beer is delicious. Well done base with the addition of cherries and PN barrel mixing well and making this a well rounded treat.

07-24-2013 03:52:11 | More by GuinnessAtRogerWilco
Knuckles_Nuclear

Missouri

4.71/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml corked bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A- Pours a pretty reddish-brown color with a thin half-inch head that dissipated rather quickly. Not much lacing, but I was drinking it from a hotel glass of dubious cleanliness. Minimal but sufficient effervesence.

S- Definitely started with the unmistakable odor of sweet and sour cherries, with fruity notes that smacked of raisins, dates, and currants. I caught some sweet malt back there, too, but it was elusive.

T- Wow...clean, dry, tart...reminded me of a fine champagne. Very complex with a nice fresh finish that left me wanting another sip. As I savored it, I also was reminded of a fleeting bourbon-like woody taste, with a faint but perceptible spiciness. Overall, a great balance between all the flavors.

M- Outstanding. Not too thin, very crisp and dry, the tartness faded quickly, leaving a clean puckering feeling to my mouth.

O- I picked this one up from a Denver liquor store, and I had to ask for Russian River products, which they had stashed in the back. Now I know why. I wasn't disappointed. American Wid Ales are just awesome, and this is my second brew from the style. Overall, absolutely incredible, to be enjoyed any time of year. Absolutely delicious and highly recommended.

07-23-2013 03:33:17 | More by Knuckles_Nuclear