Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,157
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
4.26/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a corked bottle into my RR Belgian glass.

Appearance: Deep amber/ruby/almost reddish brown. See a lot of carbonation with a decent head. Head eventually recedes to an 1/8 head.

Smell: Cherries, yeast. Not impressed by the smell or appearance honestly.

Taste: This is where it gets better. Tartness hits you immediately. Immediate cherries into some sweet and sour apple. You can taste the wine from the wine barrels. It all works really well. Love the complexity.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation initially intimidated me but it all works really well. Medium bodied.

Overall: Not for the faint of heart. Wouldn't recommend this for someone's first sour. At the same time, I love the pinot barrel taste and the complexities. Not necessarily the best sour I've ever had but I would certainly recommend. Don't get why so many find this one "world class"...had many European sours that trump this one. Either way, I woould love to try this one on tap to see if I spot anything else. Good stuff.

MagicJeff, Oct 22, 2012

nosavingsaccount, Oct 20, 2012

Trio2shine, Oct 19, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +9.2%

Wow, what a beer.

Just getting into sours and my buddy brought me one of these back.

Pours rich amber, almost reddish with fluffy white head that stuck around. Good retention.

Great smell. Tart, cherries, oak, and some good funk. Hints of oak as it warms a little.

Flavor was off that charts. Super tart up front, hits the back of the teeth aggressively, then it smooths out. Cherries, some lemon, Brett funk, all kinds of stuff going on.

Good carbonation that keeps all the complexity and flavors slightly at bay. Balances on the tongue.

Overall? One of the best beers I've ever had. Sours might be my new favorite thing. Not sure any will ever beat Supplication though

Maddmartagan, Oct 19, 2012

DrLaFollette, Oct 19, 2012

foxyaardvark27, Oct 19, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Dipping into my cellar for my birthday
Bottle from batch 10, poured into a snifter

pours a very dark reddish brown with a half finger of head which has receded quickly leaving a thin ring of foam. good lacing along the sides, thick and consistent

smells strongly of sour cherries, tart apple, pinot noir and the oak from the barrels, alcohol, a bit of citrus and some bready yeast

taste is incredibly sour cherry, wine, apples, following through with a nice malty finish. incredible

the mouth is my favorite part. the flavors come in layers, the first one hitting you being sweet cherry apple, quickly changing from a sweet to neutral, and finally to a strong sour finish leaving a great after taste of cherry, grape, apple, and a trace of malt. Finishes very dry and waits until the very end to make your face twist. Leaves a nice tingle on the tongue, very reminiscent of a good champagne

Overall the best sour I've had. This is the first of my russian river sours, and definitely going to make it challenging to continue aging my other RR sours in my cellar. Still amazed how all the different layers can separately and clearly present themselves as you drink the sips down

lordofstarside, Oct 19, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Beautiful clear amber red in color with a few fine white bubbles lingering on the top

S: Lots of brett funk, vinegar, hay wine and cherry

T: Very straight forward sour, a good combination of dry brett funk and a smoother more vinegary mouth puckering quality. Sweet malt, oak, cherry and wine layered among the sour aspects so well. Very complex.

M: Medium body, that sweet spot between too dry and too juicy

O: Absolutely delicious sour, never gets old

anteater, Oct 18, 2012

From a 375 ml bottle (Batch 10) into a tulip.

A-The beer poured a brownish red color that was mostly clear except for the few floaties that dribbled out of the bottle towards the end. The khaki-colored head was pretty solid and left a nice cap.

S-A pleasant, if not complex, smell of red fruit and berries. I thought of sour cherries and cranberries. There was a bit of oak noticeable.

T-The taste mostly follows the smell, sour cherries and tart cranberries. I also picked up some tart lemon (it may have just been the tartness I was noticing ) and a nice oaky undertone to it all.

M-There was a nice, prickly carbonation. The long finish left my mouth watering, but it wasn't all sour, there was a just a bit of sweetness.

O-A good sour brew, but not my favorite Russian River. The beer was concentrated and had a good flavor (if you like sour cherry), but a bit one-dimensional to be truly world-class. Perhaps I had too high of expectations, but I thought this one lacked a little of the complexity (oak, vanilla, chocolate, raspberry, etc.) that I was hoping for.

Edit: I recently opened a bottle from Batch 11 and was pleasantly surprised. I found much more oak and tart, vinous complexity than my review above indicates. Tasty.

spoony, Oct 18, 2012

Stevie_Janowski, Oct 13, 2012

illini4x4, Oct 13, 2012

joh04587, Oct 13, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

After drinking the Temptation earlier in the week I thought it would be very similar. At first blush it seemed to be, but once I got into it it really became it's own animal.

Appearance - clear amber with a tiny head that dissipates quickly

Smell - sour, dry cherries

Taste - It's sweet but doesn't have any kind of bitter or sour after taste, which is a pleasant surprise. After you get into it a little bit and let it breathe it becomes much more drinkable.

Mouthfeel - light carbonation, tiny bite. Pleasant.

I'm surprised how much I enjoy this after being so-so on the Tempation. Hats of to Russian River.

jimilayne, Oct 13, 2012