Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,173
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros

kjkinsey, Mar 28, 2012

KevdoggNasty, Mar 28, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -50%

It is amazing that a beer that tastes like this makes the top 100.
I suppose I bow to all thse out there that have put this beer on such a pedestool, figuring, my tastes, just don't get it.
Almost every sip brings a squint to ones face. As if one drank a very sour cherry mix.
I know that is what these Russian River guys were going for.
It just "..ain't my cup of 'beer'"...heh.

Good for you guys that like it.

Den

Dennycurr, Mar 28, 2012

RyanPS, Mar 27, 2012

galapas, Mar 25, 2012

ayagoda, Mar 25, 2012

logicerror, Mar 25, 2012

Fitzmke, Mar 25, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -1.8%

I finished an in-depth review and the damn thing didn't save!

I had been saving this for my 2000th review, but then Rutager sent me something I'm sure I'll enjoy more.

A: Amber with a bubbly, cream-coloured head, some retention, shows some leg.

S: Pleasant funk, with a little tart/sour aroma.

T: The lacto & pedo sourness is a bit much for my palate, but I like the funk from the Brett. This is like a Flanders done in the Extreme American style. Leather, steelie mineral, hay, cherry, wheaty biscuit, balanced bitterness, alcohol is subtle.

M: Well-attenuated, moderate body, quite bubbly, some acidity, crisp, very dry finish.

D/O: I know this is a top 50 brew, but I'm still surprised I really like this (I'm not a sour guy). I'd say this is better than many Belgian brews... though personally, I'd still prefer a New Glarus Belgian Red.

Derek, Mar 25, 2012

BrittEBurke, Mar 24, 2012

DWarcher, Mar 24, 2012

turmeric, Mar 24, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

jrfehon33, Mar 24, 2012
4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 008 375ml. Picked up in Pennsylvania, might as well try it now.
A deep red with a finger of fine off white bubbles. Head retained well and just barely stuck to the glass.

Aroma, cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, lemon zest. Sour cherry. Just a faint yeast funk.

Taste, Sour cherry and lemon zest, some hay and minor barnyard. The cider vinegar is there. Fades to an acidic grape, cherry very light tanin. Though this came together even more as it warmed, which I had not found with other sours.

A quite lively carbonation, but is very fine and almost feels creamy. Drinks easy, though I can never seem to get past one with a sour yet.
Probably about as close to as good as it gets for the style.

Bung, Mar 24, 2012
4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a Southern Tier tulip.

Pours a dark, ruby amber with a big mountain of fizzy, off white head that quickly fades away. The nose has notes of white grapes, alcohol, and faint cherries. The flavor is tart and sweet with some cherries in the finish. There's a sugary, tart aftertaste that lingers. The pinot noir is evident. The mouthfeel is winy, viscous, smooth, crisp, and medium bodied.

This is my second Wild Ale. My first was Consecration. This in my opinion isn't as flavorful as Consecration, but it's delicous and worth trying. It's drinkable, flavorful, but it's a sipper. I would definitely have this again.

tdm168, Mar 24, 2012
4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

A great drinking experience!!! Beer number 98 on my quest for the 100 Beers of Fame. Thanks to Woodchopper who has single-handedly brought me into the stretch run on these fabulous beers. Poured into a Houblon Chouffe flute from a 375 ml corked and caged bottle. A deep copper color with reddish highlights. Nice delicately bubbles on a big off-white head. Some patches of lacing on the glass.

Great aroma, sour citrus, cherries and some funk. Real nice. Tastes great as well. I am not a "sours" guy. Don't like a big Rodebach style blast of vinegar in my beer. The sourness here is just right with plenty of cherry flavor and funk. The sourness is more citrus than vinegar.

Mouthfeel is just right. The sourness is not overpowering and the rich cherry flavor and funkiness are just right. A nice easy sipper.

Overall this is one outstanding beer.

JayQue, Mar 23, 2012

RosieLaRoseToronto, Mar 22, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -17.8%

punkhim, Mar 22, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -1.8%

A beer that I've had in my possession too long to not have tried yet. A long time want and craving. I picked up another bottle, a newer batch. Batch #007 remains in the cellar, cracking batch #008 open tonight to enjoy. I've read that this beer doesn't age with grace, so I'm excited to try a fresh bottle and even more excited to just TRY it. Russian River Supplication poured into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip.

Held to the light, the beer has a light red hue (almost pink-ish) with some brown-ing. Looks red-brown without the light. Eggshell head of an inch is falling slowly, but holding strong. The bigger bubbles are popping sporadically. 4.0

Pungently sour nose with a light spritzy fruitiness. The vinous character is more pronounced than the cherries, but the tartness reminds me of the fruit note. Light cherry, sure, but perhaps white grape with tannins. 4.5

Bretty funk out the wazoo. Lighter-bodied red wine, sour berries, oak, tannic grape skin, straw, oversteeped black iced tea. Mouth-puckering with very little residual sugars remaining. Semi-dry, but very fruity. Heaps of Brettanomyces and tangy Lacto. I pick up some tart red apple, mint, chamomile, and raw basil leaf. A bit husky without being robust. Complexities that are foaming at the mouth. Unreal good. Impressive stateside beer. 4.5

Key in the feel is the proper dose of suds and scrub. Not boisterously carbonated, just ideal for a medium-light bodied American Wild. A beer that should be savored, but drinks too fast for its own worth. That was meant to be a compliment. 4.5

If you're looking for rich fruits and deeply complex malts, this is not the beer for you. There's no hop bite in the tailend (sans a little bitterness), nor is there heavy breath-catching sourness. This wild ale is all about balance, complexity, and drinkability. Scarce in the flaw department, this beer drinks like a great wine. A real shmoozer. Skoals! 4.5

thecheapies, Mar 22, 2012

frank12, Mar 21, 2012
4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

375ml bottle bought online from the Cracked Kettle, Amsterdam... this bottle is probably 3-4 years old...

Poured a clear coppery brown colour with a tinge of reddy pink... lightly tan head poured quite foamy and disappeared slowly to thin coating... fair amount of carbonation bubbles to the surface... no real lacing at all..

Aroma - Strong tart fruits (light sour apples and pears, tart cherries, lemons), champagne notes, some light almond hints, light mustiness, some wet hay notes, light red wine hints, grassy, faint candy sugar, light oak

Taste - Very tart fruits (strong lemon notes, light cherries, grapefruits), some vinegary notes, strong brett notes, faint red wine, light nutty hints, farmhouse cider traces, floral.... the faintest sweetness emerges after a few sips...

Feel - Very sharp and dry - mouth puckeringly so... suprisingly drinkable and refreshing though..

Overall - An excellent Wild Ale and as good as some of the Belgians i've had... probably not for everyone but definitely recommended...

mdagnew, Mar 21, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured from a 375mL bottle into a brandy snifter. Batch 008. Brewed on 20 August 2010. Bottled 14 November 2011.

A: No head, but lots of initial bubbles. Clearish. A ruddy orange, somewhere between amber, russet, pink, and ruby. Astounding.

S: Red wine and brettanomyces. I find little oak, but there are some rich cherries and perhaps almond.

T: Huge initial sourness reminds me unfortunately of pickle brine, one of my huge complaints against some Geuze. Indeed, the similarity in taste is not superficial. However, the added cherries come to the rescue towards the latter half of the flavour, offering an excellent sweet fruity finish. Otherwise, Supplication is dry, winey, and puckery, tasting more alcoholic than it is. Some grape peel and fermented fruit is not always pleasant.

M: The spirited carbonation (the cork shot across the room) and sheer sourness necessitate smallish sips, but the mouthfeel is none the less for that.

O: So I didn't particularly enjoy it (even though I loved Temptation), but I guess I can see where it's a goodish beer. I certainly would not recommend it, but I guess if sours are your think, grab one. Meh.

Notes
Primary Yeast: Abbey Ale Yeast
Conditioning Yeast: Rockpile

EDIT (14 April 2012): Drinking it on-tap in the brewpub, I enjoy it much more.

EDIT (10 November 2012): Batch 010. Poured from a 375mL bottle into a Koningshoeven chalice.

4A: Translucent, pale, ruddy amber. Light head, light lace.

4S: Oak and Brett. Tart fruit blends with the wood aging and conspires to smell like an Oud Bruin. Deep and tannic.

3.5T/3M: Thin and sour maintaste with a hint of balsamic vinegar. The aftertaste is candyish (think red apple Jolly Rancher). The mouthfeel lacks presence, weight, and pizazz. I don't get the appeal of this beer.

3.5O: Eh, it's alright, but RR makes a lot of beers that are better and there are many sours/wild ales that top this one. Not recommended in bottles.

AgentMunky, Mar 21, 2012