Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,292
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Batch 04x03, enjoyed recently.

What a beer. It's nearly the perfect sour. Sour cherries and brett funk dominate the aroma. The taste is so complex. Sour cherries. Tartness. Sourness. Oak. Mouth watering. Red Sour Patch Kids, liquified. It was a real challenge for me to work through a bottle of Supplication. It is so good, but it made my mouth work too damn hard. Too much salivating and puckering. That can be taken as a tongue-in-cheek compliment, but it is also its only detracting quality. I can't sit and drink bottle after bottle of this. My mouth would. not. survive.

4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

Amber red with white film and speckles of yeast. Oak, vanilla, tin, cherry and sandalwood on the nose.
Tart cherries, some brown malt warmth, gentle sourness, a brandy tang and woody hum.
Vague fruit finish and dry linger. Smooth, round, crisp, light.

Sourness and oak both very measured, and not much funk. More balanced, rounded and nuanced than any kriek. Not my thing, but a stunner just the same.

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

Enjoyed two bottles of this around New Year's 2011/12 while in Southern California. Loved the first bottle so much, I went back for another. Review from notes.

Appearance: Brown and ruby colored body. Rather clear, but I didn't get a tone of head activity on a gentle pour into a wine glass.

Aroma: Tart nose, but hints at balancing sweetness. Some red wine tannins.

Taste: Great rush of tang from the cherry tartness combining with sweet malt and complex funk of everything else. As I enjoyed each bottle, I found it a marvel in that every drink allowed me to enjoy the complexity of the beer in new ways. Sour, sometimes puckeringly so, is not that best word to describe this beer. That would sell the sweetness and funk short.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Pretty rich beer to drink. Not all that heavy in the mouth, but the high stakes flavors make this one a huge endeavor. A tasty endeavor.

Overall: One of the best sours I've ever had, which isn't saying a ton. But I have been lucky to sample a few Russian River sours in the past in this is by far my favorite one.

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%

Batch 005X2. 375ml bottle to tulip glass.

Pours clear copper color with some whispy white head. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells ridiculously good: sweet cherry and loads of oak and spice, some brett. Taste is more fruit forward (red fruit like cherry), brett, lacto, just a little oak, with some mild bright acidity. The oak aroma is huge compared with the taste. Medium body and medium-high carbonation. Overall, an excellent, very drinkable wild ale. The tartness is really mild. I love the Pinot (my favorite wine) characteristics that come through. I've had this on tap numerous times and never enjoyed it this much.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Pours a semi hazy brownish color Nice bubbles flowing from the bottom
S: Tart cherries, funk, fruity esters, strong funky cherry sourness dominates.
T: Follows the nose. Tart cherries, lemon zest, sour apple, and a slight oak note in the back of the palate. Really balanced. Not too sour, but just enough to get you hooked.
M: Pretty decent carbonation, dry mouthfeel, medium bodied.
O: This is pretty delicious. As it warmed sat for a while I got more of the oak in the nose as well as the flavor. It's pretty complex and just damn good. Only complaint was the price, and of course I had to drive to Philly to pick it up.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer came highly recommended by my a trusted friend and considering I can find it more readily in Denver I decided to open my bottle.

The beer poured an nice amber/red and had a nice single finger head with itty-bitty bubbles throughout.

The nose was of sour cherries with a little bit of wood.

The taste was a dry tartness with a slight dark fruit bitterness developing into sour cherries and finishing with oak on the tongue.

The mouthfeel was elegant and fitting for as much esteem as I have heard this beer receive over the past few months.

Overall this is a great beer with a dry finish that doesn't turn me off like some beers I have recently tasted. Not much sweet which I found very inviting for this beer.

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

I love living in Philly and having this beer easily accessible all the time. This was the first American Wild Ale I ever tasted, back in 2008, and I remember actually liking it despite the total sourness of it all. I had a college buddy whose Dad was a beer collector and he broke these out randomly one night for me. Great guy...

This is Batch 8. Poured into a wine glass.

Very attractive beer, with a robust off-white head, and an excellent clarity. Beautiful hues of red, orange and copper. Careful not to pour out any of the yeast!

Smells like sweet cherries and funky funk. Definitely has a sweetness to the aroma which is quite a pleasant contrast to the obvious "wild" aroma.

The beer is actually less sweet than anticipated and is only slightly less great than I remember it to be. Soft notes of cherry are present throughout and become more predominant as the palate becomes more adjusted to the sourness.

Great amount of carbonation for the style and it has that characteristic enamel-stripping quality. Medium body.

This is a favorite beer of mine, and has remained very close to what I remember from before. I consider this to be my current benchmark of the American Wild Ale category.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company