Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,112
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
dirtylou

Washington

4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

375ml bottle, bottleworks. obscenely priced but obscenely good.

from notes.

appearance: split and served in my hopleaf tulip, deep crimson-orange body, active carbonation and a light bubbly beige head

smell: quite tart - sour cherry, oak barrel, wet straw. very funky

taste: a definite tongue-buckler, the tartness is very high and the abundance of cherry plays well off the sharp oak notes, sprizzy carbonation, straw, hay and other barnyard funk on display. I only wish it were more affordable.

mouthfeel: blasting carbonation, high tartness

overall: great

07-13-2011 18:46:28 | More by dirtylou
kaseydad

4.28/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a hazy brown with some slight burgandy tints and nice foamy throughout the session. A lot of floaties but good. Nice funk in the aroma with some cherries, raspberries and wine-like whiffs. Nice. Tough on the esophogus after each sip for me....right to the finish. Tart but not overly distracting. Some cherries and more tart fruit in the taste. Nice. Dry and clean finish. Salivation on the buds after each sip. Overall I thought this was a great wild ale and a great starter if someone is looking to try the style. Not overly sour and pleasant to sip.

07-13-2011 02:08:21 | More by kaseydad
Kubus

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Deep Crimson, a lot of fizz, little retention.

S: Wild cherries, fermented wheat, a hint of hops.

T: Sour with a really light hint of cherry in the background. I guess this type of beer just isn't my style.

M: Light, Tangy, Bubbly, with a deep layer of sourness hanging overall.

O: With the mythical proportions that Russian River has ascended to, I guess I set the bar too high and ended up disappointed. All of this gibberish about this brew proving beer had no limits and is an American national treasure overhyped this to an absurd level. Sure it was a good beer, but it is not the second coming of Christ in beer form like a lot of people on BA seem to believe. It also doesn't help that this beer cost $12 (american). I will say try it if you're feeling indulgent, but don't invest in the hype.

07-11-2011 06:48:44 | More by Kubus
gigaknight

4.18/5  rDev -8.5%

A- This offer pours with a bit of carbonation, eventually settles to a thin halo of head around the edges of the glass. Glowing sunburst hue, with blood orange color in the center that radiates outwards into a golden straw yellow. Lots of great bubbling, looks almost like a sparkling wine or cider.

S- Though the strong suggestion of vinegar in the nose may be unpleasing to some palates, it immediately makes my mouth water. Some tart cherry comes through, but mostly a sticky sweet acidity. No hops are detected whatsoever, and the smell of the malt has been so strongly mutated by the sour yeasts that it's unrecognizable.

T- At first sip, a bit of light oaked fruit sits on the tongue for a moment, and then a wave of sour makes its way across the palate. The vinegar notes are expertly married with balanced sweet cherry, and the brown ale base keeps the whole concoction still within beer territory. That being said, the barrel aging and semblance of tannin structure put forth a lot of wine personality in this brew, which is, in my opinion, one of the most attractive things about wild ales. You get much of the character and diversity of fine wines without the high alcohol content (or price tag). The aftertaste sees the bacterial acidity through a slow transformation into a pleasantly mild lemon juice finish. It's fantastic for the style, but personally, I would have liked just a tad more sweetness in the flavor profile. Be it from more malt or treating the cherries differently, this brew might have been driven into my 'all-time-favorites' with a little something more to provide contrast to the sourness.

M- I think the rather high carbonation really works well for this type of beer, contributing to the overall refreshing nature of the style. The light citric flavors, tartness, and sparkling mouthfeel once again almost take this into champagne/sparkling white wine territory, but of course no grape has the gumption to make this ambitiously bold of a beverage.

O- Russian River has cemented it's reputation as one of the best (if not the best) producer of American wild ales, period. I tried not to judge this brew against my preferred vehicle of sour beers (Flanders Reds) and consider it within the parameters of its style. Personal preference aside, this was a masterfully brewed beer that is positively bursting with originality and flavor.

07-10-2011 19:16:36 | More by gigaknight
TheMurse

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Batch 006x2 When this arrived I had to force myself to wait and let it settle from its airplane ride. The anticipation was almost to much to bear. Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale glass holds the whole bottle.

Appearance - This one is for me and me alone. The color of the liquid is deep amber almost the color of a cherry wood stain.

Smell - The smell is funky, with a hint of woody undertones. You can smell the cherries. They are in the background, but they are there. The smell is adding to the anticipation.

Taste - First you are hit with the sour taste. It hits immediately, however it dissipates quickly. That funky taste one comes to expect flashes in the palate competing with the sour. Oh how I love this competition. There is no vinegar after taste that I have come accustom to when trying beers of this style. The cherry is late to the party and highly welcomed. Five minutes in and I am still tasting cherries! While I smelled wood, I can not taste it. The pinot noir is lost in my opinion, however maybe I would long for it if the beer were aged in something different.

Mouthfeel - This is sour but not a pucker your lips I do not want it again sour. The carbonation helps with this I think. The beer is definitely alive with carbonation. The beer plays across my tongue. I belched on the third sip! That makes it a real beer in my opinion! I think maybe another California brewery might want to take a field trip and get some pointers. I love the mouthfeel!

Overall - Oh where have you been all my life. Now, I have a ways to go in terms of Wilds, Lambics, and Guezes. I have had several in my time. I still need to try all sorts of beers yet to qualify as some sort of sour expert. However, with that written, I must state this plainly as I can. This is the best Wild Ale I have ever had and one of the top 5 beers I have ever had.

07-10-2011 03:08:54 | More by TheMurse
OPWN3NTSL4Y3R

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 375ml corked & caged bottle into a Chimay chalice

A- Hazy mahogany/orange color, pale 2 finger head with nice lacing and some floaty sediment

S- Tart funky barnyard, wet hay, oak, dried cherries, vanilla, some Pinot Noir notes

T- Bready malt with solid tartness, pleasantly sour with a balance of oak and cherry, Brett

M- Creamy, woody bite, tart/dry finish, nice bottle conditioned carbonation

O- Intriguing, clean yet complex, sour flavors and dry finish beckon you to keep sipping

07-08-2011 23:47:55 | More by OPWN3NTSL4Y3R
Knapp85

4.28/5  rDev -6.3%

I felt this beer was going to be a challenge for me to get down. Since I'm not a big fan of sour ales if this wasn't a Russian River brew I probably would have just overlooked it. The beer poured out as a sparkling red color with some in there too. The head was fizzy and white and then vanished pretty quickly. The smell of this beer was big, it's stung the nostrils like sex panther a little bit. The smell of tart cherries and oak wood mixed with a big amount of wild yeast explode on nose. The taste of the beer is interesting too, The sour cherries almost make your lips pucker, the sour subsides and leaves you with a nice oak and vanilla smoothness. The mouthfeel is little thin, but has enough flavor to balance out the whole thing. Overall it's a good sour beer, I'm trying to give it praise despite the fact I don't care for the style. I feel that people who enjoy these will definitely enjoy this one too.

07-05-2011 16:56:59 | More by Knapp85
AdamBear

4.53/5  rDev -0.9%

A-beautiful mahogany colored with a thin cream colored head. very pretty.

S-smells like tart cherries with a hint of caramel.

T-comes in with a great tastes of really fresh tart cherries. its a subtle taste but one of great quality. the after-taste is just perfect. great candied cherries and flavored sugars, possibly vanilla? just great

M-medium to heavy carbonation with a very dry finish

O-well this is almost perfect. this is an absolutely and amazing and unique beer. i love it so much. i'd like the initial hit to be more powerful, but the after-taste is so strong and long lasting. its definitely very dry. i would recommend this to sour lovers and non believers alike.

07-04-2011 07:36:18 | More by AdamBear
scinerd3000

4.83/5  rDev +5.7%

Paid 25 dollars for a 355ml. Poured into a tulip.

A: Beautiful red tinged beer with lots of bubbles. Hazy and with minimal head.

S: Sour apples, cherries, lots of fruitiness. Slight brett?

T: Exceptional. Very complex with sourness and cherry melding into an almost wine like quality. Finished dry with a lingering sweetness. Malt character is also perceivable in a biscuit like quality.

M: Well carbonated and slightly lighter body make this go down very easy.

O: A+ Worth 25 bucks....

07-02-2011 15:13:45 | More by scinerd3000
zrab11

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -10.3%

A- Pours a reddish orange color with nice carbonation and a 1 finger white clean head

S- Has a nice sour funk smell with some cherry and yeast notes rising from it

T- Has a nice clean tart flavor up front followed by a nice cherry sour flavor and finishs with a nice dry but somewhat sweet flavor

M-Light bodied with excelent carbonation

O-overall i was very pleased with this beer. Wished the cherry flavor was just alittle more prominate. I think santification is still alittle better but i wouldnt hesitate to trade for this brew again.

07-02-2011 03:15:49 | More by zrab11
HotHands

4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

A - pours a reddish copper color with a nice white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Loud audible fizz, like champagne.

S - great smell of cherries, pinot noir type notes (like jammy fruits), other stone fruits, and a good amount of funk to balance it. Not unlike some krieks.

T - Significantly sour but not unpleasantly, with plenty of fruit flavors dancing around. Sour cherries predominate and there are some apple and pear notes as well. The funkiness is a bit subdued in place of sourness.

M - high prickly carbonation, like a sparkling wine. Finish is a split between dry and silky.

Overall - a superb sour. I can pick out the cherries and the pinot noir barrel aging fairly easily. It's not as funky as some others, which is fine because the flavors are very well balanced. Definitely seek out RR beers if you can.

07-02-2011 02:38:49 | More by HotHands
Chriscrundwell12

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle into a snifter

Batch # 005x5

A- Dark burnt orange color, excellent lacing and retention, one finger off white head, fizzy, very attractive beer.
S- Brett up front, nice funky sourness, cherries, pears, white grapes, barnyard, refreshing
T- Wow, very nice, slight puckering taste, slight vinegar, tart, very smooth, cherries, pear, grapes, oak, funky, balanced sourness, delicious, very complex.
M- Medium mouth feel, smooth, well carbonated, tart, puckering.
O- This is an amazing sour, absolutely surpassed my expectations, out of all the “tions” from Russian River that I’ve tried this takes the cake, now to hunt down some more bottles.

07-01-2011 07:06:15 | More by Chriscrundwell12
burnstar

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours bright brown with a medium sized head. Nice lacing on the surface. Visible carbonation. Smell is yeasty. Big cherries. Taste has a big hit of tartness up front. Balanced with just a touch of background sweetness. Sour cherries are very noticeable but don't totally dominate the flavor. Puckering tartness ends with a dry hit of bitterness. Tons of flavors all over the place. Oak. A bit of herbal hops. Lots of barnyard yeastiness. The wild strains are obvious, although it's hard for me to describe the flavors they contribute (except for some sourness) since I've had very few wild beers. Great well carbonated mouthfeel. Full to medium bodied. Crisp with a lip smacking tart and dryish finish. Great tart and slightly bitter aftertaste. Overall this is pretty great stuff. I paid a lot for it but I'm definitely glad I tried it and will check out the rest of their wild ales if I can find them.

06-28-2011 21:24:27 | More by burnstar
meatyard

4.8/5  rDev +5%

Batch 04X3

Opens with a huge pop of the cork and then some foam works it's way out. The pour reveals a nearly clear, light mahogany with a 1-finger, off-white head that hangs around for a short while before devolving into a cover leaving a short ring of wet lace.

The smell is a pleasant aroma of sour cherry and yeasty goodness. The wine from the barrels also makes it's presence known.

The taste is tart (but not quite puckering) cherries, the oak from the barrels stands out as well. The Brett adds funk to the many things happening with this delicious beer.

Mouthfeel is medium tending to full and quite dry with lingering moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a very well-made beer that I'd like to have more of if the price was right. Most of the elements in this beer tend to balance themselves out so that nothing is particularly overwhelming except that the sourness is always there. It does deserve to be priced higher than many other beers - considering the effort put into it. Any sour lover could hardly do better than this one. It's worth the effort to obtain one and I look forward to it's next arrival in Philly.

06-25-2011 20:24:25 | More by meatyard
abraxel

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Crystal clear reddish orange with lots of carbonation and a few fingers fizzy head. Nice.

S - Some nice sour funk and cherry tartness. As it warms up the cherry comes out more.

T - Quite good -- lots of tart, sour cherry, sour funkiness, and more sour. Not quite mouth-puckering, but quite sour. Some hints of oak, and a base of simple, sweet malt underneath it all. Reminiscent of a kriek, but the cherry isn't quite so prominent and there's a bit of oak. Really tasty.

M - Medium mouthfeel, rather smooth, but with quite a bit of carbonation. A touch of acidity on the back of my tongue. It fits the beer wonderfully.

Overall, tasty tasty. I love Russian River wilds.

06-25-2011 02:04:01 | More by abraxel
FARGO619

A Reddish color. Had this for Fathers day. A little treat for myself. Lots of carbonation and lively bubbles meet the glass.

S-cherries, sour, brett, funk, wine barrel, oak. Tons of nose in this beer. Opens up when it warms. This is a bang of a beer and it just jumps at you with beautification.

T I had this stored at about 55 degrees so it was cool enough to drink and enjoy from the beginning. It got a little sweeter as it warmed up too. The beer has a lot of depth of flavor. At first the beer is really tight, but gets more open as time goes on.

m-Sour candy with a kick. Has a lot of good feel, lingers on for a while.

O When can you say you had fun drinking a beer? I can, and do all the time. It is rare that I drink alone, but it was a good time to chill and watch a good movie. Great times.

06-24-2011 14:07:57 | More by FARGO619
hoptualBrew

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

375 mL bottle batch number 006X2 POPPED open with a bang! Holy carbonation - if pried off instead of pulled, could be considered a lethal weapon.

Before I go on, this is my first sour ale, so take my review with a grain of salt if you will.

Pours a violently fizzy deep clear grape red amber hue. Very pretty little thing. Head is violent fizzy storm but is gone within a matter of seconds.

In the nose I get all sour grapes! Woody base to it, but sour grapes really steal the nose.

Have not tasted anything like this before, at least from a beer. The best thing I can relate this to is those tear jerker sour grape round bubblegums I used to eat as a kid. This is really good, very fruity, sour & drinkable. Sweet & sour, jaw clenching at times but makes your mouth water for more. Aftertaste is straight pinot noir, but right before this hits the punch of sour that radiates through your jaw.

Note: I know it says cherries added, but grape is the fruit that really steals my nose & my palate.

This is a lighter bodied fizzier brew, although the head is nowhere to be found after the initial pour. Carbonation is ideal for the style.

Picked this up for $13 online + shipping.

Even though its a solid brew & I loved it, it is not readily available for me & costs a pretty penny. Will be trying other RR sours, but just a taste of this is good for me. Pliny the Elder on the other hand, well that is my first brewdiction!

Overall, really nice for my first sour.

06-23-2011 20:41:23 | More by hoptualBrew
BARFLYB

Batch #3 poured into my St. Bernardus wide mouth. Got this through brotherliam, thanks again. Have not had this since the last shipment to philly. Review 400/1118 or so.

A- A nice burst from the cork pop, no foaming. Suppy's base beer is a brown ale but the look is more of a deep red with bright orange, faint bubbles rising. Cant see through the liquid. Some bubbles form islands of foam on the surface, nothing major, no lace either. This beer looks delicious.

S- This is one great smelling beer, very inviting. The sour cherries are very noticable, telling me they have not faded completely. Funk and some wild yeast strains giving off those strange scents I've come to love. The oak in this is quite possibly my favorite aspect of the nose.

T- At first Im hit with funk and sour cherries. I like supplication fresh as the cherries is what drew me to this in the 1st place. This bottle has some slight age on it. The cherries give off some tart while the 4 wild yeast strains do as well, brett and lacto being heavyhitters. Lemon and other fruits come in under the cherries The oak gives off wood while some wine characteristics step the taste up a few notches, this is tasty as F___. Not really getting any of the brown ale tastes but there is some malt towards the end.

M- This one is quite sour and tart. The puckering capabilities are up there, I can handle it though, this one is a sinch to drink. The body is somewherenear medium with perfect carbonation. I never have to worry about carb on a RR product, they are always dead on. Sup has a crispness to it and is just a lively all around beer.

D- Cant wait for these to come in 750ml bottles, 375 just does not seem like enough, but I do love the small bottles as well. With that said I could and would drink this all night until my stomach could not handle it anymore. It's great cold and just opens up with time. This would go great with some fine cheese, the perfect match. This is one of my favorite beers ever.

Batch 4(About two years old) into my Russian River Tulip.

This beer continues to impress me and it is my favorite. Some time in the bottle really does magic to this. Another pop from the cork, suppy is a brownish red with some orange up towards the light. A cream colored shell of foam stays on top throughout with nice sheets that stick. Smell is straight out lacto with sour cherry at this point. Pungent with leather and I guess you can say malt from the base. A bretty sting with some warming. The cherry has not left, it only got more aggressive. Taste is just oh my god, I love this beer. Cherry flavor with sourness that knocks socks off. I gotta say, Sup does wonders in the bottle if you have a good batch of it and give it some time in a OK enviornment. Sometimes, warm is your friend. Lacto soaked cherry with pedio/sach/brett in that order, no fooling. Supp Vs Sanct, you can tell the difference, especially in the newer Sanct versions with all brett, lacto shines here. Im babbling. All I can say is lay these suckers down if you got em, they will sour till your hearts delight, much more than the batch 4 Temptation which I think is dwindling. I love it.

06-23-2011 08:17:16 | More by BARFLYB
DmanGTR

4.2/5  rDev -8.1%

Thanks to a number of BA's in FL that welcomed me and let me join in their epicness. Review from notes.

Hazy soft rose color with a whitish head. This beer gave much sour cherry and an oaky woodiness in the nose with lesser amounts of green apple and horse blanket. Quite intriguing and inviting. Less cherry in the flavor, but this gave way to other fruits... maybe a touch of apricot, more apple, and a light berry tartness. Bubbly carbonation lifted the light body. A fine beer indeed. Paired nicely with blue types of cheese.

06-23-2011 04:29:32 | More by DmanGTR
scbrew

4.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Hazy deep orange color. Wonderfully tart aroma of sour cherry and funk. Sour cherry flavors and slight oakiness come out as it warms. Sour finish that lingers on the tongue. Absolutely Love it! Could drink this ale every day if I was independently wealthy.

06-22-2011 18:50:35 | More by scbrew
Cavery

4.8/5  rDev +5%

375ml poured conservatively into Lost Abbey Tulip

Brew was shared with Klym, the consumer of all liquids.

Reviewed from notes, an artifact of a legendary weekend session.

A: Reddish pumpkin with a deep maple syrup presence. Very cola looking with a strong two finger hyper-sizzlin head. Tufts of sea-foam whiteness peak into mountains where the sides recede to form clouds around the foamy summit. Beautiful beer!

S: Big tart yeast with cherry and craisins. Pickle juice consumes the berries and then blends them to form a very sweet red wine vinegar. This whiff makes me salivate uncontrollably. Let's drink already!

T: Lime juice that crashes into pickle juice, a late middle of yellow squash. Strong cranberry/cherry tartness that subsides into a bright red wine vinegar. Incredibly consistent phases of -- nay, a royal procession of flavor. Top tier.

M: A great everlasting sizzle of a mouth. It has a real punch to follow the super clean flavor and mouth. The different elements come together in an air tight collaboration. I salivate from the smell, the taste, and in the memory. I held back tears when my glass emptied too soon. A fantastic wild ale; with a high end cocktail party mouth to boot.

O: There's a lot to say about this beer, but really it's just so well made. The wood does this brew a real honor by taking would could be seen as too bretty/tart/sweet, and making it a refined offering. All the flavors are in check, but they aren't exactly conservative either. I'd love to hear what a master's palate would say of this one, because I think there's far more in there than a laymen can give credit for. I'd come back to this one after more "education".

06-22-2011 04:23:46 | More by Cavery
surlytheduff

4.28/5  rDev -6.3%

Batch 005x5. A standard pour into a Duvel tulip left me with a big two fingers of head sitting atop a reddish-brown body. Smelled of tart ripe dark cherries, apple, yeast and a subtle funk.

The taste was very tart (not overly sour) initially. I was pleasantly surprised by the sweetness. Cherries were the predominant flavor, with a subtle oakiness. The finish was dry and refreshing, with medium carbonation. Overall this was a really tasty and satisfying beer.

06-20-2011 03:04:42 | More by surlytheduff
DavoleBomb

4.03/5  rDev -11.8%

On-tap at Toronado, SF. Poured into a fluted glass.

3.5 A: Nearly clear red zinfandel color. Came without a head, so no comment there.

4.5 S: Big hit of tart cherry, then plum, grape, tangy lactic acid with a mild sourness. Lots of vanilla with oak on its heels and tannic astringency at a minimum.

4.0 T: The potent cherry in the nose is much less powerful in the taste, but it is still the main attraction. A host of other flavors are introduced though. Wild apple, a touch of acetic acid, a touch of musky funkiness, and this time more sour than tart. Vanilla is much subdued, but the oak itself is stronger.

3.5 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Could be a lot creamier, but balanced enough to be quite smooth.

4.0 D: Good, solid all around beer.

06-19-2011 18:50:00 | More by DavoleBomb
Dan3279

batch 006X1

I have been looking forward to drinking this beer for a while now and I have to be honest the beer actually intimidated me at first. I usually don't drink sour beers and I was afraid that because of the style I was going to be really disappointed in the beer.

I got my hands on a few entry level / basic sours to get a feel for them and I liked what I was trying. So last night on my first night of vacation I broke down and opened up the bottle. I poured the 12oz bottle into a snifter glass to find a deep red, amber, hazy body with a bubbly head that dissipated quickly.

The aroma of course was dominated with the sour cherries and oak. I also noticed some dried fruits at the end which gave it more of a sweeter aroma than I expected.

The taste was exceptional, and I was really impressed. There are a lot of different things going on here that just work so well together. The tart cherries, oak, sweetness, and funk. The beer is sour, but its so enjoyable with the sweetness thats balanced in. The carbonation and alochol are just right.

I could go on and on about this beer, it really was a great experience to drink it and I really wish I could get this on a weekly basis. I can say that I am a fan of sours now and look forward to trying more but at the same time the bar is set very high!

06-18-2011 23:54:43 | More by Dan3279
Agold

4.3/5  rDev -5.9%

Batch 006x2

Supplication pours a rose color with a bit of head retention and a small amount of lacing. The aroma is slightly sour with a nice fruity cherry note, as it warms, a very distinct wine and funky side emerges. The taste has the cherries and a mild mild oak wine presence which is a nice counterpoint to the cherries and tartness, with the same character emerging as the beer warms. This beer is extremely light and refreshing and complex. Very enjoyable beer, especially for the summer. Very light and very well carbonated with a nice bite. Have not quite gotten into sours, but this is a very good beer to get going with.

06-17-2011 02:13:18 | More by Agold