Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,128
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -10.3%

A- Pours a reddish orange color with nice carbonation and a 1 finger white clean head

S- Has a nice sour funk smell with some cherry and yeast notes rising from it

T- Has a nice clean tart flavor up front followed by a nice cherry sour flavor and finishs with a nice dry but somewhat sweet flavor

M-Light bodied with excelent carbonation

O-overall i was very pleased with this beer. Wished the cherry flavor was just alittle more prominate. I think santification is still alittle better but i wouldnt hesitate to trade for this brew again.

zrab11, Jul 02, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

A - pours a reddish copper color with a nice white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Loud audible fizz, like champagne.

S - great smell of cherries, pinot noir type notes (like jammy fruits), other stone fruits, and a good amount of funk to balance it. Not unlike some krieks.

T - Significantly sour but not unpleasantly, with plenty of fruit flavors dancing around. Sour cherries predominate and there are some apple and pear notes as well. The funkiness is a bit subdued in place of sourness.

M - high prickly carbonation, like a sparkling wine. Finish is a split between dry and silky.

Overall - a superb sour. I can pick out the cherries and the pinot noir barrel aging fairly easily. It's not as funky as some others, which is fine because the flavors are very well balanced. Definitely seek out RR beers if you can.

HotHands, Jul 02, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle into a snifter

Batch # 005x5

A- Dark burnt orange color, excellent lacing and retention, one finger off white head, fizzy, very attractive beer.
S- Brett up front, nice funky sourness, cherries, pears, white grapes, barnyard, refreshing
T- Wow, very nice, slight puckering taste, slight vinegar, tart, very smooth, cherries, pear, grapes, oak, funky, balanced sourness, delicious, very complex.
M- Medium mouth feel, smooth, well carbonated, tart, puckering.
O- This is an amazing sour, absolutely surpassed my expectations, out of all the “tions” from Russian River that I’ve tried this takes the cake, now to hunt down some more bottles.

Chriscrundwell12, Jul 01, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours bright brown with a medium sized head. Nice lacing on the surface. Visible carbonation. Smell is yeasty. Big cherries. Taste has a big hit of tartness up front. Balanced with just a touch of background sweetness. Sour cherries are very noticeable but don't totally dominate the flavor. Puckering tartness ends with a dry hit of bitterness. Tons of flavors all over the place. Oak. A bit of herbal hops. Lots of barnyard yeastiness. The wild strains are obvious, although it's hard for me to describe the flavors they contribute (except for some sourness) since I've had very few wild beers. Great well carbonated mouthfeel. Full to medium bodied. Crisp with a lip smacking tart and dryish finish. Great tart and slightly bitter aftertaste. Overall this is pretty great stuff. I paid a lot for it but I'm definitely glad I tried it and will check out the rest of their wild ales if I can find them.

burnstar, Jun 28, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +5%

Batch 04X3

Opens with a huge pop of the cork and then some foam works it's way out. The pour reveals a nearly clear, light mahogany with a 1-finger, off-white head that hangs around for a short while before devolving into a cover leaving a short ring of wet lace.

The smell is a pleasant aroma of sour cherry and yeasty goodness. The wine from the barrels also makes it's presence known.

The taste is tart (but not quite puckering) cherries, the oak from the barrels stands out as well. The Brett adds funk to the many things happening with this delicious beer.

Mouthfeel is medium tending to full and quite dry with lingering moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a very well-made beer that I'd like to have more of if the price was right. Most of the elements in this beer tend to balance themselves out so that nothing is particularly overwhelming except that the sourness is always there. It does deserve to be priced higher than many other beers - considering the effort put into it. Any sour lover could hardly do better than this one. It's worth the effort to obtain one and I look forward to it's next arrival in Philly.

meatyard, Jun 25, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Crystal clear reddish orange with lots of carbonation and a few fingers fizzy head. Nice.

S - Some nice sour funk and cherry tartness. As it warms up the cherry comes out more.

T - Quite good -- lots of tart, sour cherry, sour funkiness, and more sour. Not quite mouth-puckering, but quite sour. Some hints of oak, and a base of simple, sweet malt underneath it all. Reminiscent of a kriek, but the cherry isn't quite so prominent and there's a bit of oak. Really tasty.

M - Medium mouthfeel, rather smooth, but with quite a bit of carbonation. A touch of acidity on the back of my tongue. It fits the beer wonderfully.

Overall, tasty tasty. I love Russian River wilds.

abraxel, Jun 25, 2011

A Reddish color. Had this for Fathers day. A little treat for myself. Lots of carbonation and lively bubbles meet the glass.

S-cherries, sour, brett, funk, wine barrel, oak. Tons of nose in this beer. Opens up when it warms. This is a bang of a beer and it just jumps at you with beautification.

T I had this stored at about 55 degrees so it was cool enough to drink and enjoy from the beginning. It got a little sweeter as it warmed up too. The beer has a lot of depth of flavor. At first the beer is really tight, but gets more open as time goes on.

m-Sour candy with a kick. Has a lot of good feel, lingers on for a while.

O When can you say you had fun drinking a beer? I can, and do all the time. It is rare that I drink alone, but it was a good time to chill and watch a good movie. Great times.

FARGO619, Jun 24, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

375 mL bottle batch number 006X2 POPPED open with a bang! Holy carbonation - if pried off instead of pulled, could be considered a lethal weapon.

Before I go on, this is my first sour ale, so take my review with a grain of salt if you will.

Pours a violently fizzy deep clear grape red amber hue. Very pretty little thing. Head is violent fizzy storm but is gone within a matter of seconds.

In the nose I get all sour grapes! Woody base to it, but sour grapes really steal the nose.

Have not tasted anything like this before, at least from a beer. The best thing I can relate this to is those tear jerker sour grape round bubblegums I used to eat as a kid. This is really good, very fruity, sour & drinkable. Sweet & sour, jaw clenching at times but makes your mouth water for more. Aftertaste is straight pinot noir, but right before this hits the punch of sour that radiates through your jaw.

Note: I know it says cherries added, but grape is the fruit that really steals my nose & my palate.

This is a lighter bodied fizzier brew, although the head is nowhere to be found after the initial pour. Carbonation is ideal for the style.

Picked this up for $13 online + shipping.

Even though its a solid brew & I loved it, it is not readily available for me & costs a pretty penny. Will be trying other RR sours, but just a taste of this is good for me. Pliny the Elder on the other hand, well that is my first brewdiction!

Overall, really nice for my first sour.

hoptualBrew, Jun 23, 2011

Batch #3 poured into my St. Bernardus wide mouth. Got this through brotherliam, thanks again. Have not had this since the last shipment to philly. Review 400/1118 or so.

A- A nice burst from the cork pop, no foaming. Suppy's base beer is a brown ale but the look is more of a deep red with bright orange, faint bubbles rising. Cant see through the liquid. Some bubbles form islands of foam on the surface, nothing major, no lace either. This beer looks delicious.

S- This is one great smelling beer, very inviting. The sour cherries are very noticable, telling me they have not faded completely. Funk and some wild yeast strains giving off those strange scents I've come to love. The oak in this is quite possibly my favorite aspect of the nose.

T- At first Im hit with funk and sour cherries. I like supplication fresh as the cherries is what drew me to this in the 1st place. This bottle has some slight age on it. The cherries give off some tart while the 4 wild yeast strains do as well, brett and lacto being heavyhitters. Lemon and other fruits come in under the cherries The oak gives off wood while some wine characteristics step the taste up a few notches, this is tasty as F___. Not really getting any of the brown ale tastes but there is some malt towards the end.

M- This one is quite sour and tart. The puckering capabilities are up there, I can handle it though, this one is a sinch to drink. The body is somewherenear medium with perfect carbonation. I never have to worry about carb on a RR product, they are always dead on. Sup has a crispness to it and is just a lively all around beer.

D- Cant wait for these to come in 750ml bottles, 375 just does not seem like enough, but I do love the small bottles as well. With that said I could and would drink this all night until my stomach could not handle it anymore. It's great cold and just opens up with time. This would go great with some fine cheese, the perfect match. This is one of my favorite beers ever.

Batch 4(About two years old) into my Russian River Tulip.

This beer continues to impress me and it is my favorite. Some time in the bottle really does magic to this. Another pop from the cork, suppy is a brownish red with some orange up towards the light. A cream colored shell of foam stays on top throughout with nice sheets that stick. Smell is straight out lacto with sour cherry at this point. Pungent with leather and I guess you can say malt from the base. A bretty sting with some warming. The cherry has not left, it only got more aggressive. Taste is just oh my god, I love this beer. Cherry flavor with sourness that knocks socks off. I gotta say, Sup does wonders in the bottle if you have a good batch of it and give it some time in a OK enviornment. Sometimes, warm is your friend. Lacto soaked cherry with pedio/sach/brett in that order, no fooling. Supp Vs Sanct, you can tell the difference, especially in the newer Sanct versions with all brett, lacto shines here. Im babbling. All I can say is lay these suckers down if you got em, they will sour till your hearts delight, much more than the batch 4 Temptation which I think is dwindling. I love it.

BARFLYB, Jun 23, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -8.1%

Thanks to a number of BA's in FL that welcomed me and let me join in their epicness. Review from notes.

Hazy soft rose color with a whitish head. This beer gave much sour cherry and an oaky woodiness in the nose with lesser amounts of green apple and horse blanket. Quite intriguing and inviting. Less cherry in the flavor, but this gave way to other fruits... maybe a touch of apricot, more apple, and a light berry tartness. Bubbly carbonation lifted the light body. A fine beer indeed. Paired nicely with blue types of cheese.

DmanGTR, Jun 23, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Hazy deep orange color. Wonderfully tart aroma of sour cherry and funk. Sour cherry flavors and slight oakiness come out as it warms. Sour finish that lingers on the tongue. Absolutely Love it! Could drink this ale every day if I was independently wealthy.

scbrew, Jun 22, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +5%

375ml poured conservatively into Lost Abbey Tulip

Brew was shared with Klym, the consumer of all liquids.

Reviewed from notes, an artifact of a legendary weekend session.

A: Reddish pumpkin with a deep maple syrup presence. Very cola looking with a strong two finger hyper-sizzlin head. Tufts of sea-foam whiteness peak into mountains where the sides recede to form clouds around the foamy summit. Beautiful beer!

S: Big tart yeast with cherry and craisins. Pickle juice consumes the berries and then blends them to form a very sweet red wine vinegar. This whiff makes me salivate uncontrollably. Let's drink already!

T: Lime juice that crashes into pickle juice, a late middle of yellow squash. Strong cranberry/cherry tartness that subsides into a bright red wine vinegar. Incredibly consistent phases of -- nay, a royal procession of flavor. Top tier.

M: A great everlasting sizzle of a mouth. It has a real punch to follow the super clean flavor and mouth. The different elements come together in an air tight collaboration. I salivate from the smell, the taste, and in the memory. I held back tears when my glass emptied too soon. A fantastic wild ale; with a high end cocktail party mouth to boot.

O: There's a lot to say about this beer, but really it's just so well made. The wood does this brew a real honor by taking would could be seen as too bretty/tart/sweet, and making it a refined offering. All the flavors are in check, but they aren't exactly conservative either. I'd love to hear what a master's palate would say of this one, because I think there's far more in there than a laymen can give credit for. I'd come back to this one after more "education".

Cavery, Jun 22, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -6.3%

Batch 005x5. A standard pour into a Duvel tulip left me with a big two fingers of head sitting atop a reddish-brown body. Smelled of tart ripe dark cherries, apple, yeast and a subtle funk.

The taste was very tart (not overly sour) initially. I was pleasantly surprised by the sweetness. Cherries were the predominant flavor, with a subtle oakiness. The finish was dry and refreshing, with medium carbonation. Overall this was a really tasty and satisfying beer.

surlytheduff, Jun 20, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -11.8%

On-tap at Toronado, SF. Poured into a fluted glass.

3.5 A: Nearly clear red zinfandel color. Came without a head, so no comment there.

4.5 S: Big hit of tart cherry, then plum, grape, tangy lactic acid with a mild sourness. Lots of vanilla with oak on its heels and tannic astringency at a minimum.

4.0 T: The potent cherry in the nose is much less powerful in the taste, but it is still the main attraction. A host of other flavors are introduced though. Wild apple, a touch of acetic acid, a touch of musky funkiness, and this time more sour than tart. Vanilla is much subdued, but the oak itself is stronger.

3.5 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Could be a lot creamier, but balanced enough to be quite smooth.

4.0 D: Good, solid all around beer.

DavoleBomb, Jun 19, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

batch 006X1

I have been looking forward to drinking this beer for a while now and I have to be honest the beer actually intimidated me at first. I usually don't drink sour beers and I was afraid that because of the style I was going to be really disappointed in the beer.

I got my hands on a few entry level / basic sours to get a feel for them and I liked what I was trying. So last night on my first night of vacation I broke down and opened up the bottle. I poured the 12oz bottle into a snifter glass to find a deep red, amber, hazy body with a bubbly head that dissipated quickly.

The aroma of course was dominated with the sour cherries and oak. I also noticed some dried fruits at the end which gave it more of a sweeter aroma than I expected.

The taste was exceptional, and I was really impressed. There are a lot of different things going on here that just work so well together. The tart cherries, oak, sweetness, and funk. The beer is sour, but its so enjoyable with the sweetness thats balanced in. The carbonation and alochol are just right.

I could go on and on about this beer, it really was a great experience to drink it and I really wish I could get this on a weekly basis. I can say that I am a fan of sours now and look forward to trying more but at the same time the bar is set very high!

Dan3279, Jun 18, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -5.9%

Batch 006x2

Supplication pours a rose color with a bit of head retention and a small amount of lacing. The aroma is slightly sour with a nice fruity cherry note, as it warms, a very distinct wine and funky side emerges. The taste has the cherries and a mild mild oak wine presence which is a nice counterpoint to the cherries and tartness, with the same character emerging as the beer warms. This beer is extremely light and refreshing and complex. Very enjoyable beer, especially for the summer. Very light and very well carbonated with a nice bite. Have not quite gotten into sours, but this is a very good beer to get going with.

Agold, Jun 17, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

375ml bottle into Duvel tulip. Batch 005X3, so bottled 5/3/10. Thanks to BA msulinski for trading me this bottle!

Appearance: Moderate pour yields a one inch fizzy white head that dissipates slowly. Pours a semi-translucent dark red and leaves large, many-pointed swatches of lacing that don't go away.

Smell: In the bottle: sour cherries and acetic sourness. In the glass: oak, some mild Brett, and even milder sour cherry in the background. Lactic sourness comes out quickly. The smell develops heavily minutes after leaving the bottle, and gets nice and deep with warmth. Almost floral. Good, but a bit faint.

Taste: First sip is sour cherry up front with a big, complex and tangy Brett note, a nice hit of sourness and then a soft but full oak note and more Brett. Sour cherry and tartness come back for the long aftertaste. Second sip brings out some surprisingly distinct and prominent Pinot Noir flavor, then more sour cherry and tons of Brett.

It's been awhile since I've had a wild ale this Bretty... I love it. That said, everything here is in balance. There's multiple types of sourness, a decent brown ale occasionally detectable underneath all the barrel treatment, and lots of strong and interesting flavors constantly emerging.

The sour cherry notes are substantial but mild; this isn't sour cherry forward like Red Poppy (which, deliciously, tastes like drinking sour cherries). The fruit notes are integrated like everything else. Even the dominant Brett manifests as distinct, complimentary notes; tangy up front, deep and musty in back. Despite the 7% ABV, there is not a hint of solvent or booziness anywhere in the vast array of flavors in this beer.

Each sip yields exciting and bold flavors up front and in the middle, then a beautiful, oaky mellowing into the tart and Bretty finish and aftertaste. World class stuff.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied. Perfect carbonation; abundant but just enough to keep the feel soft and creamy. Despite the numerous types of sourness, the feel is never stinging or abrasive. There's a great clarity to the flavor, bolstered by the excellent mouthfeel.

Overall: This beer is a real treat. It's one of those endlessly complex and delicious beers where even when you write too much in your review, you still haven't properly described all the beautiful things going on in the flavor. When you get the chance to drink this beer, take it.

Pahn, Jun 17, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

this is described by RR as "Brown Ale aged in French oak Pinot Noir barrels with three strains of Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus and sour cherries." it was also my first real sour (i.e. not the duchesse or monk's flemish.) i decided this was the place and beer to try it with. i wasn't disappointed. it was really, really good. it's hard for me to evaluate it because of my lack of sour expertise, but i thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to trying other RR sour offerings that i brought back with me from seattle.

Franch, Jun 16, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

375 ML bottle batch 006X2.

A: Reddish amber with 3/8" soapy white head that dissipated over 2 minutes.

S: Sour cherries and yeast.

T: Starts off like a typical cherry lambic, but is incredibly smooth and dry and leaves very little aftertaste. Very peculiar and interesting, you want to just keep going for more and more in order to try and figure it out...

M: High level of medium carbonation. Wow.

O: I typically don't like sour beers or lambics but I really enjoy this beer. Exceptional.

DaftCaskBC, Jun 16, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Caged and corked 375ml bottle batch 4x1, poured into a tulip.
This bottle has been in my fridge for almost a year now, and i figured that today is as good a day as any. I've had it plenty of times, but i have yet to review it.

A - Beer pours a bright, clear, reddish amber with a tight, bubbly one finger head that quickly recedes leaving some lacing. The head clings to the sides of the glass. Some yeast sediment is floating in the glass, but its not distracting in the least. almost non-existent layer of white head.

S - Aroma is tart and funky. Sour cherries, brett-y funk and some oakiness from the pinot barrels really shine through.

T - Tart and funky, duh! But not so fast. This is an insanely complex beer. Sour cherries provide a mouth puckering sourness, immediately followed by some hay like funk and some subtle oak notes. Very similar dry finish to a nice Pinot Noir wine.

M - Light bodied with moderate carbonation. The finish is dry and mouth puckering.

O - Always a favorite of mine when it comes to sours. Very complex and refreshing. Im so lucky to have this beer available at all times.

dubinsky, Jun 14, 2011

7% ABV
27 IBUs
OG 1.064
Brown Ale aged in French oak Pinot Noir barrels with three strains of Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus and sour cherries. 375 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks Anand!

Appearance: Rust brown, somewhat hazy, with a very good and creamy light khaki colored head. Excellent retention and lacing. 5/5

Aroma: Sour, obviously. Notes of brett, but not overpowering. Much sweeter than I expected, and very welcome. Earth, spice, and fruit --- quite rustic. Some vinegary sharpness comes along with warmth. 4/5

Taste: Tart and sweet, but never overpoweringly sour. Everything from the aroma is present, and it goes down with a kiss of sour cherries. Amazingly clean with a subtle yet long aftertaste of cherries and funk. Also, oak gets quite strong as the beer warms up. 4/5

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with a certain fullness yielded by the high, and yet soft, carbonation. It's an oxymoron! Very dry and clean. 4.5/5

Overall, very very good, and so refreshing! A testimony to what subtle can be... it is sour but a lot of other things too. I love it. 4.5/5

tewaris, Jun 13, 2011

Batch #005x4

Had at Monk's Cafe, my first ever Russian River sour, I trembled with excitement as my waitress brought it to my table.

A- It pours a dark cherry red, almost ruby, with an active head that sticks around the whole time, though never exceeds more than half an inch. Lacing sticks to the cup all the way.

S- Some barnyard funkiness, but not as much as I would have guessed. Still, the brett is there enough to let me know this is a great sour before I even taste it. Lemon juice, vinegar, sour cherries, oak, and candy all are present.

T- oh man! awesome sour taste here, mouth-puckering but really not overpowering. The barrel-aging is worth it, because earthy, oaky char comes through to balance the acidic sourness. I don't drink much wine, but I detect some wine like characters too. Probably the most complex sour I've had, since sourness is only one feature of the multifacted flavor. Mouthfeel is good too, very carbonated.

O- I have read and read and read about Russian River this, Russian River that. Well, there is a reason people are talking, this might be the best beer I have ever had.

Tschnab, Jun 13, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a slight hazy reddish brown into the glass with bright Red highlights. Aromas of tart cherry and dark fruit and oak. Flavor is a burst of intense but smooth sourness delivered nicely with the carbonation with a bit of fruitiness and faint oak. Very soft malt flavors stay on the tongue as it dries out on the finish. Not my "Style" of beer, but starting to intrigue me more and more. Just like 2IPA's did a couple of yrs. ago, now they are 1 of my favorite styles. Maybe sours will be next?

beergod1, Jun 13, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Ah, Supplication. Your 375ml bottle has been sitting in my fridge for quite some time now. No longer will you take up room while my tongue cries for you. A 7% sour barrel-aged 12-15 month brew will finally be imbibed. Batch 005x3 poured into a snifter.

Pours the color of an amber-ruby red, like the mosquito lodged in tree sap in Jurassic Park. ROAR! Bathtub foam bubbles create a 1/2 inch of head, which quickly rescinds. A thin layer sticks around on top for the duration of your drinking session.

Aroma is all sour, brett-y funk, followed by cherries and other yeasty smells I'm not accustomed to coming in contact with. Really punches the olfactory glands. Smells like oak as well.

This extremely sour brown puckers your lips up & assaults your palette with a champagne effervescence and tart cherry combo. A fresh crispness coats the mouth in the finish, which actually becomes bitter after the swallow. This beverage is heavily carbonated, but that's not necessarily a bad thing here. A fizzy sour cherry bomb.

Not my style but highly enjoyable to say the least. Would seek this out again, and continue aging a few to see the effects. Californians - you are lucky. Very, very lucky.

Wisconsuds, Jun 12, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +0.7%

375ml bottle poured into a Brooklyn tulip

My first RR sour!

A: Pours with a generous 2 finger head. Reddish-pink hue.

S: Cherry candy and funk…although not as funky smelling as I anticipated. The bubbly vapor goes through your nose and hits the back of your throat.

T: The funk is first and foremost. The other flavors are more muted than I expected but the funk makes it extremely sour and tangy. After the initial attack, cherry and mild oak notes follow, but the cherry is not nearly as intense as the scent indicated. I had to aerate this in my mouth quite a bit to bring out the characteristics from the pinot. Alcohol never really present. Finishes very dry.

M: On the thinner side. The brett plays with and enhances the carbonation. I love carbonation and this has it in spades so that’s a big attraction. Astringency detracts from the drinkability somewhat, but not unpleasantly so. Even though the alcohol is low, this isn’t to be consumed in large quantities.

O: Such a cool beer, but to be honest I’m not sure my palette is mature enough to fully appreciate it…but I know what I like! Can’t wait to try more of these varieties.

mjtiernan, Jun 12, 2011