Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,405
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,309 | Reviews: 1,355
4.28/5  rDev -6.1%

Consumed 12/24/2012

Batch 008

The beer pours a very clear red brown with a lovely white head that turns into a thin film over the top of the beer.

The aroma in mostly sour but present is a little bit of fruitiness.

The beer starts of sweet and quickly moves to a sour semi-sweet somewhat funky finish.

Overall the beer is okay. I have not had a lot of sours so it is hard to rate it against other beers in its style. However, as a beer for special occasion it will not stand out in my memory compared to a lot of the beers that I have had.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Batch 005x5

Pours a deep orange and light brown color with a fluffy white head that has moderate retention and great lacing

Aroma is tart, sour and funky with a nice white grape touch.

Taste starts out sour and funky with lots of citric notes. Sour cherries and grapes appear in the middle. Finishes very sour and astringent.

Mouthfeel is very dry and tannic with high carbonation and medium to low body. Aftertaste is funky and lasting leaving the mouth watering.

Great sour experience from RR. Very balanced and yet "in your face" at the same time.

4.41/5  rDev -3.3%

375 mL bottle poured into my Allagash chalice, because I broke my RR -tion glass :( RIP RR -tion. May I soon obtain another. Batch 006X2.

Appearance - More red than brown. The color of a dark sherry. Huge head that seems to climb the sides of the glass and cling for dear life. A soft pillow protects the body from the elements.

Smell - The tart fermented cherry aroma is most prominent. Some brett aromas as well. Not terrifically funky. Huge pinot aroma.

Taste - Starts off with a threatening tartness that fades and suddenly returns with a vengeance in the finish. The cherries come through most in the front. Behind the cherries the pinot flavors push through with some tannins and oak flavors. The tartness almost overwhelms the wine in the finish, but as the sour notes fade, the wine shines through. To be honest, I'm not sure I love how strong the wine is, but for right now it's awesome.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and tinglingly carbonated. Very dry in the finish with the tannins from the oak and wine extending the finish.

Overall - Really spectacular. I don't get to drink many sours as good as this one. I can't wait to try the Beatification in my cellar. It tempts me every day. Is there anything Russian River doesn't do well?

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Decided to crack open a bottle I've been aging for a while; I needed a little holiday cheer. Batch 006x2 poured into my Chimay glass.

Poured a hazy reddish hue with a frothy full finger of head which reduced quickly to a thin splotchy layer. I loved the columns of constant tiny bubbles rushing to the surface. It truly appeared as if my glass was alive! There was lots of great sour smell; I caught funky yeast, apple cider vinegar, cherry, and a little bit of general booziness. Very tart taste, which was totally to be expected and what I had anxiously hoped for. I tasted the brett in action (funky!), as well as the cherries and lots of bitter and sour. Also felt like like i tasted a sour apple/pear kind of thing in there. The mouthfeel was perfect- lots of crisp carbonation from the bottle conditioning which gently foamed on my tongue.

All in all, another great Russian River experience and a very satisfied customer! Sours are definitely an acquired taste, but this is among the best of the best. Definitely lives up to the hype, IMO.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Wow. If you have had Santification or Consecration this beer is similar but way better than both. If you have the money buy at least one and enjoy. I paid 17 per bottle from Pinnochios Beer Garden in Media, PA. Well worth the buy. I offered to a friend of mine who hates all craft beers because he is not open to the "big" taste but he was blown away by this one!

3.91/5  rDev -14.3%

I acquired this one in a trade from solomongrundy. Awesome trader, thanks again!!! Poured from 375 ml bottle into a chalice. It pours a beautiful pinkish orange with a fizzy white head that disappears rather quickly. Very Tony bubbles of carbonation. It smells of sour cherry and musty yeast. Mild scent of oak is there as well. Wow... Very tart. I'm not really a big sour fan but I've had a few and have begun to appreciate the style. Lots of sour cherry and wine flavors. Mild oak flavors hang on the tongue. This is a palate scrubber. It will obliterate any beer you've had throughout the night. One of the better ones I've had. Very acidic and dry. Tasty, but just not my favorite style.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company