Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,128
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros

Review from notes

thanks to jdefont!

Batch 4

Pours a reddish with thin white head.  Smells like oak, cherries with some sourness. Tastes like sour cherries, slightly tart, sour finish. You can taste the wood in there as well, very good beer. Drinkability is high, mouthfeel is good, I could drink a lot of these if they distributed to Indiana, that and if they were cheaper.

Lukafer, Feb 04, 2011

Reviewed from notes 2/2/2011

A: orangish-reddish brown with a subltle white head that dissipates to a very thin white layer, minimal lacing

S: sour cherries, a hint of acidity, after it sat for awhile you could notice a slight alcohol scent to it.

T: sour cherries, very tart, sour with a touch of sweetness, a slight mustiness

M: mild carbontation, thin, smooth, crisp, refreshing

D: it was a good beer, not great, would much rather prefer consecration over this one given the choice

Cheers!
The CPJ

THECPJ, Feb 03, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Batch 005x3, reviewed 2/1/11. Tulip glass.

A- Clear amber/rosy color. Some sediment in the second pour. Lots of active carbonation. Poured with 1/4" light peachy off-white head that settles to a lingering thin coating. Some light lacing.

S- Funky brett and fruity/cherry sweetness.

T- Funky brett and definitely some lacto as well upfront, extremely tart fruitiness with some cherry notes. Some faint oak at times. A bit of lemony citrus undertones as well. Incredibly smooth, tart, and extremely awesome.

M- Light bodied with tons of fine carbonation. Smooth and dry.

D- Thankfully I don't come across this often so I can honestly write that I will drink it every opportunity I get. Really excellent. The funky brett flavor just shines in this brew. Smooth and tart. Complex and well balanced all around.

misinformed, Feb 02, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

batch 005X3. shared with whiterascal:

A: It pours out an amber color with an off-white head that lingers. leaves some lacing down the glass.

S: smells acidic with hints of cherry and caramel malt. i also get a little vanilla and oak in the aromas.

T: mouth puckering tartness. very acidic. hints of cherry, vanilla, and wood. finishes off dry with nice cherry notes.

M: it has a thin body with a good amount of carbonation.

D: this is a great beer that I could drink a lot of. The acidity would be the only thing keeping me from drinking it all night.

ottovon, Feb 02, 2011

A: It is a dark cherry red with brown undertones
S: very tart with cherry aroma
T: The taste of this beer is phenomenal. To try and describe this beers taste would be a welcomed sour tart cherry flavor with a brett backbone.
M: The mouthfeel is very bubbly with natural carbonation. I love this type of carbonation because of the finest the carbonation takes on.
D: I could drink this beer all day. I really enjoyed this beer but the main issue is the price. I know that price is not part of drinkability so I did not mark down my rating in this category, but it is an extremely expensive beer and due to that fact I feel it is a great beer to try here and there but not something I would really go after again.

wrightro07, Jan 31, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -10.3%

On-tap at O'Brien's, San Diego.

Pours a lovely ruby red color with a very light, filmy head. Mild sweet & sour aroma; nice hints or orange. Very flavorful taste of orange, cherry, and lime. The finish is very sweet & sour, with a similar yet mild aftertaste. Surprisingly, there's very little bitterness here. Light- to medium-bodied, with mild carbonation. Smooth, and quite drinkable.

mithrascruor, Jan 30, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -10.3%

Served in a SA perfect pint glass

Thanks to jethrodium for this want.

This is batch 04X1. This beer pours a nice copper amber color with a frothy white foam that degrades to a thin layer but stays that thin layer throughout the consuming of this beer. This beer has the funk that is so sought after in many of the sours that I know. There is a citrus sour that comes from all sorts of bacteria. There is some cherry notes on the nose as well with some pretty decent oak notes. The taste is sour, oh so sour. The tartness of the intentional infection is not something that I know if I'm ever gonna get used to, I've really probably got to work my way up to appreciating these beers. The tart mouthfeel goes down pretty easy, it's got good carbonation for the style, and it's pretty easy to drink if I do say so. Again, it's not my style, but then again I never respected hop bombs, so maybe the time will come for me to revisit this beer.

Vdubb86, Jan 26, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a cloudy brown with orange mixed in. Has a nice off white head that diminishes rather quickly.

You can smell the sourness. There's some cherry and other fruits. Some citrus and light floral notes with some sugar tossed in.

The taste is sour cherry with a nice citrus blend giving some base. You can taste the wine influence. Kind of has a sugared grapefruit taste to the middle of the taste.

Not so much of a tart front that I was expecting. It was a nice blend of flavor and sourness.

Another great sour ale from RR. It's got a lot of great flavor and a refreshing quality to it. Definitely want more.

cjacobsen, Jan 25, 2011
4.53/5  rDev -0.9%

drank during the bears sucking up the game. My 50th review so I figured I would drink something good.

a- orange red with a huge fluffy white head thats seems to take forever to go away a brilliant looking beer.

s- You can tell this beer is sour. Alot of cherries and lemons and grapefruit fill the nose.

t-woah the taste is awesome. granny smith apples type of sour. The beer is almost salty, but like a good margarita it adds to the sour flavor.

m- alot of carbonation that succums to the sour flavor. very very very good

d- I like this beer and would drink this alot but the reason it isnt perfect just results in the style.

leakyfaucet12, Jan 23, 2011

Fair complected, with a light head and nice lacing.

Aroma is rather puckering sour, funky, tart, slightly spicy, green apple tart/sweetness.

Lip pucking sour, bitter, tart cherries and green apples, semi sweet.

Medium bodied, on the light side though, with light carbonation.

The sour for me is overwhelming and makes this very difficult to put away. I've been working in some sour beers to get accustomed, but this is still a bit much for me.

EgadBananas, Jan 23, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +0.7%

A= It's got like a burnt orange color some red hues in it when held up to the light. Nice tight off white head that disappears after awhile.

S= I get the cherries in the nose you also get a lot of the yeast funkness in the nose very nice nose.

T= I'm surprised how much cherries come up in the taste considering how long this has been aged they taste very fresh. This is a Tart beer very nice.

M= I guess it would be thin in body. Nice dry finish nice carbonation.

D= Very drinkable wish I had another to go with the first one.

LiquidBread219, Jan 23, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Beautiful golden copper with a tight 1 finger head that dissapated rather quickly. Held up to a light some red tones are in there as well.

S - I am getting cherries, vanilla, oak, some yeast funk, and I am getting alot of grape. If I was blindfolded, I'd of guessed a wine by the smell.

T - Mouth puckering! This is one tart sour. Personally I am getting alot of wine showing through. I get the oak, some vanilla, a little bit of the cherries, but mainly I taste wine. With the higher carbonation it reminds me of a champagne almost. Very different. Very good.

M - Light on the tounge. Nothing sticks around on the palate. Leaves you ready for some more!

D - Pretty darn good. I prefer Temptation, but would never refuse another bottle! Try it, you won't be disapointed.

avaccani, Jan 22, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

I received this in a trade some time ago, can't remember who it was with, but I'm really glad whoever it was made this deal go down. Review is from notes taken on 1/21/2011 and poured from the bottle to a goblet, batch 04X1.

Appearance: Pour is a rich orange and coppery color with a bit of a reddish tone in the highlights; starts with a short, 1/4 finger off-white fizzy head that fades very quickly to a thin, uneven and incomplete skim on the surface; body is just a touch hazy/cloudy, but still shows ample carbonation bubbling up and throughout; only a few strands of lacing are left on the front, but the back of the glass is a thin, but complete wall of sticky lacing.

Smell: Very nice -- lots of very tart cherries, some oak notes and a bit of that sweet vanilla presence that often accompanies the oak -- the sweetness creates just a touch of a medicinal quality to it; a bit of a brett funkiness, but it seems to be hiding behind the cherries; the tartness in the scent makes my mouth water and I can tell it's going to make me pucker.

Taste: Wow, this may be the tartest ale I've ever tasted -- the sour cherries are strong and right up front, but they taste amazingly fresh considering how long this sits in the barrel and has been sitting on a shelf in my beer closet, it's as if I literally bit through the skin of a fresh picked cherry; bit of a slight vinegar presence and touch of the brett funkiness that is present in the nose; there is a touch of oakiness in it and it brings about an attempt at some sweetness to provide a touch of balance, but the sour/tart/funkiness really leads the way in this beer, just as it should; the flavors that the cherries and barrel-aging in the pinot barrels are extremely prevalent.

Mouthfeel: The body is just a tad heavier than what I would consider light; the carbonation is present and lively, but doesn't come across as harsh or anything; the tartness is amazing, especially on the first sip and it makes my mouth pucker and water in an uncontrollable fashion; a thick, moist stickiness is left all over the mouth and continues to linger long after each sip; belly is left warm from the acidic nature of the beer; really awesome effects coming from this one and it really helps make for more of a total experience as opposed to just drinking a beer (not that there's anything wrong with that either).

Drinkability: Really an amazing beer and on part with the other great beers I've been fortunate enough to sample from Russian River; nice smells, amazing flavors and a roller coaster of a mouthfeel certainly give it a lot of credence, however, the strong nature of the acidity and extreme tartness is not something that I feel I would crave on a regular basis, but when the mood strikes, this is a world class offering.

bamadog, Jan 22, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

Batch 2 poured from a 375ml bottle

a: Amber/Red in color, small head with no lace at all.

s: Cherry and vinegar, you can tell that its a 4 year old bottle. The funk really comes out as well.

t: Really one of the best "sour" beers I have ever tasted. Sour cherries, very sour and very complex that I just cant point out. I am tasting some of the wood as well. Very complex and tasty beer, especially for such an old beer. I really thought that it wouldn't be that great of a beer either.

m: Thin and very carbonated and finishes very dry

d: Highly drinkable if you are a fan of sour beers. If I had access to this beer on a regular basis I really think that I would be drinking it all the time.

nhudson, Jan 22, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

A red and ruddy brown appearance with tons of sediment. Good white head leading to sticky lace. Aroma massively tart and sweet cherry and oak.

Taste, astringent, tart, puckering cherry flavor. Again, oak. Tons of brett flavor, lots of tannin grittiness coats the tongue and mouth.
A very chill sweetness to it, along with a gritty earthiness. One of the best wild ales out there, only rivaled in its style by Bruery's oude tart w/ sour cherries.

Beerandraiderfan, Jan 21, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Cloudy, ruby red liquid. Slightly larger than one-finger, white head; dissolves down to thick lace quickly and clings to the glass as the beer level drops. Fair amount of vigorous carbonation as well.

Smell: Mixture of apple, cherry, and grape aromas. Very strong; flows out of the glass and into my nose from three feet away.

Taste: Wow! This is probably the fullest bodied beer I have drank to date. Tangy cider taste to start, evolving into a bold cherry on the tongue, and back to sharp apple aftershocks. Wish I had enough bottles on hand to do a Temptation/Supplication comparison. Going off memory, this one probably wins.

Mouthfeel: Every drink washes the palate clean. There is just ever so slight a hint of the sour taste left over, but mainly there is a clean slate waiting for the next sip. Sadly there are not enough.

Drinkability: If I lived somewhere that this was readily available I would line my cellar with it. A great brew. The only thing that hindered its drinkability was knowing that once I drank it all I had no more. Gives a whole new meaning to crying in your beer.

tburus, Jan 20, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 37ml bottle. Batch 005.

A - Pours a strong gorgeous amber color with some nice copper hints. A nice off white light cream head is present with some nice dense bubbles interlaced with some medium sized ones. There is about 1 inch of head and retains pretty good.

S - Some corn husk and hay come in fast with the nice cherry tartness. Nice and very slight fruit aroma is mixed in with the tartness. Some good funky yeast in the nose that is perfectly balanced with the sour notes. Delicious woody oak hints finish this beer of with a clean nose.

T & M - Tart cherry notes puckers the mouth quickly. The sour notes are more toward the fruiter side at the beginning but then finish off a bit on the vinegar side, good balance. Some nice tart grape and obviously cherry. Wood dryness coats the palette. The funk is present but less so on the taste. Feel is nice and light and clean. Delicious brew with good carbonation and a prickly feel. Some slight alcohol is noticed but not too much.

D - Delicious beer by RR. I really enjoyed this sour and have been slowly getting into them; with this one being the best yet.

JoEBoBpr, Jan 20, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Came to the table with a slightly hazed orange red with no discernable solids in the body, but it was not clear. The head on the pour was nice and solid and lowered to a skim after a minute or so.

The smell is quite incredible. It starts with more of a slightly sour smell with some cherry pits, but as it warms it takes on a more winey character with a definite cedar smell. I really enjoyed the smell of this beer, cherry pits, cedar, brown sugar, red wine, and a damp sweet earthiness. Truly amazing.

Taste was quite good as well, but not as complex as the nose. It had a light sour character that interplayed with some sweetness and a dry woodiness.

Mouthfeel was spot on - moderately thick, creamy carbonation and a slight drying.

tobin, Jan 17, 2011
4.53/5  rDev -0.9%

S: Oak, cherries, some tartness, lemons mostly, sweet caramel malt, some funk and barnyard but pretty restrained. Touch of spiciness, maybe even some breadiness.

L: Hazy orangish red, nice tight off-white head with lots of bubbles. Decent retention for a sour. Burnt orange bordering on brown.

T: Bready dark malt followed quickly by cherry tartness. Fairly strong acidity cleans the palate leaving some tingling on the tongue. As it warms, more cherry tartness is left on the palate with just a touch of sweetness. Some winey tannins in the finish drying the palate.

M: Medium-bodied, medium-high carbonation, some warming alcohol.

Fantastic sour, not sure if i liked it as much as Temptation. But very well balanced with great bold flavors. Loved it.

bum732, Jan 17, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +1.3%

Served this in a Great Divide balloon glass poured from a bottle. I gave 1/3 to myself, 1/3 to a roommate and 1/3 (the dregs) to a fermented of my own wild. Batch 005x3.

This beer is wonderfully clear. Its color is brown with clear orange notes. However, it's not breathtaking or remarkable in any way other than its clarity. The head is thin and white, but it does leave some nice lacing on a glass at was too recently washed with soap.

The nose is sour, tart and inviting. Definitely a sour, fruity and funky beer. The fruit is mostly cherries in my opinion. There's great complex layering here. Not the best smelling beer I've ever had, but it's definitely up there.

The taste is dry, fruity, sour and funky. It starts with a lactic acidity, moves to a dry cherry and ends with a barnyard, footy funk. I love beers that are layered like this. The beer is wonderfully carbonated, which makes it bright on my tongue.

I've gone out of my way to bring this back to Texas with me a few times and I'm homebrewing a batch to duplicate its wild nd sour character. Can there be any higher praise? This is unquestionably a world class beer.

UTCengOwl, Jan 15, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a chalice. Batch 5. Bottled May 2010. Drank 01/13/2011.

Poured a slightly hazy cherry wood color. Fizzy rusty head that dissipated fairly quickly, but left some lacing around the top of the glass. Smell was tart and with the slightest hint of earthy leather.

Dancing carbonation makes this a very light bodied beer. Fruity, sour cherry at first followed by a very slight brett character. Red wine. Leather, wood. Very dry. Mouth puckeringly dry. But in a good way.

Lengthy sour finish. Delicious. This beer would be great with a cheese plate and some dark fruits. Each sip is seemingly palate cleansing. Did I say delicious?

nniicckkww, Jan 14, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle shared with cmurren25, Jwiss22, JayW73 and Lane23 at a little tasting, finally a proper review of one of my all time favorites and the experience was just like always...

A- A nice dark brown color with a slight ruby/mahogany hue. A nice steady stream of bubbles showing off the nice carb and leading up to a fluffy and thin white head with a little pinkish tinge.

S- Uh Oh! Here we go again the beer that always gets me in trouble. I can never get bored of that aroma. It's an immediate rush of sour and tart cherries with some amazing musty and lactic undertones. I love this smell. It's a crazy and complex aroma that I wish they made into deodorant. As it warms which is hard for me to let happen it allows the sublte oak undertones to breathe and let the vanilla and faint, but sharp mustiness to come out. Really an incredible aroma!

T- BLISS! A rush or sour cherries has led me to nirvana. It is life altering good. The cherries are the focal point in the beginning, but the awesome lactic sourness and the sublte brett mustiness work well together side by side with the sour cherries. I detect and almost sharp cheese characteristic that is awesome as it warms then I realize that it's all the barrel. The bugs are going crazy. A crazy mix of earthy wood, sweet oak and subtle vanilla that make the finish simply divine. Again BLISS!

M- It's a sour obviously, but it's crazily balanced. A great mustiness, awesome slightly syrupy coating and an in your face, puckering sour that leaves you craving more. The carb tingles, prickles and makes sure that it coats every inch of your mouth so you can taste every single nuance of this masterpiece.

D- You bet your ass! I can't believe how refreshing, fulfilling and satisfying this one is. I love the complex aromas and tastes. The ridiculous balance leaves you wanting more and more and more. It continues to impress every time I crack a new bottle. A MASTERPIECE!

MORE! MORE! MORE!...PLEASE!!!

StormKing47, Jan 12, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +2.4%

appearance is a beautiful mahogany color, with a thin off white collar of foam. Smell is pronounced sour cherry, not much else. Taste is just the right amount of sour, without any yeasty funkiness. Mouth-feel is very smooth, nice and moist to start fading slowly to a crisp dryness. This beer is an excellent reminder of what a good beer can be, and an excellent return for me to reviewing beers.

BigJTrucker, Jan 11, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -0.4%

12,75oz bottle shared into chalice tasting glasses, from notes. Thanks to Stoney73!
A: Pour a nice and bold red/brown, not as much red from cherries as I would have guessed. Head is fluffy and holds very well, lacing is as sticky as the head is.
S: An aroma that can only come from a well produced sour. A tight and sharp snap from the Bret, underlining a use of cherry and very dry use of hop.
T/M: The bold and complex flavors in this beer are beyond the norm, this is a highly great use of sour, that shows a nice blend of brown sour character and a interplay of a Belgian Kriek. SOUR, SOUR and more sour, this is spot on for the American style and sets standards for what the Wild ale should be compared to.
D: Mind blowing, had this while brewing a Pliny clone with my father, wow thanks Russian River, great brews and pushing the style envelope. I could find my self drinking many of these sours.

GDBEERMAN, Jan 05, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

I drink this beer far to often not to have reviewed it yet. This is from limited notes on my phone, along with memory.

Poured from Bottle into Bells Tulip.

A - Dark orange color with a good amount of cream colored head. Dissipates quickly, leaving a thick foam cap. Lots of lacing...

S - Tart Cherries, some sugars and a bit of funk. Wood is also present, but very subtle.

T - I love this stuff. Sweet cherries go well with the tartness and lacto. Bready Malts were surprising the first few times, but it's an awesome compliment. Sour finish and a bite of carbonation goes to MF.

M - Very dry with that carbonation bite. Leave you with that sweet tart taste.

D - I drink it all the time, and just wish it was more readily available. 12 bucks a bottle on the east coast is also holding this back, but I still buy it.

BeerThursdays, Jan 05, 2011