Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,288
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros

4.39/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle says batch #8 on the side. My first Russian River, and I sincerely hope that it will live up to my expectations.

Pours out a semi murky brown tinged amber, no head, yet paradoxically has a semi spritzey carbonation as also typical in a great sour. The wine aroma really does come through on the nose, full of bold fruity sour cherry character on a base of tannic wood aroma, just about everything I want out of a sour nose all at once somehow delivered without being cloying or overwhelming at all. I think I may be seeing why this beer has developed such a cult following. Tastes of sour candied cherries and than everything I experienced within the nose coming at me just like clockwork in exactly the same order, only difference being that the pucker of the acidity fades out only to be replaced by the wood tones accentuated in the finish. Very much on the gentler (yet paradoxically also the drier) side of most wild ales that I have sampled as of this date. The body is medium thick and not as astringent as it could have been, job well done!

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

4.36/5  rDev -4.4%

My first Russian River beer! Helpfully located for me by the great guys at Davis Beer Shoppe. I have split on Russian River for a while. On the one hand, I have been seeking their stuff out and looking forward to trying it - it is universally regarded as an awesome brewery with a lot of unusual beers. On the other hand, there is a part of me hoping I don't like their stuff. Nothing against the Russian River brewery. Russian River loyalists, on the other hand....well, let's just say, from reading posts, this is the one brewery where the most loyal fans clearly believe if you're not drinking Russian River, you might as well be drinking superheated yak piss.

Split into 2 pint glasses. First mark against this beer: It's too damn expensive. I believe I paid $6 for a 12 oz. There are plenty of damn good beers that can be had for $2-$4. But that's not what reviewing's about.

The pour is an inert amber, with some carbonation but in general just sort of sits apathetically in the pint.

The smell has a lot of vinegar, and a whacked-out, overall tart smell. It smells to me like skunked beer, intentionally skunked in the right hands. It isn't foul, very intriguing, good smell.

The taste is absolutely pucker-worthy. Sour cherry? Sour grapefruit? Sour grape? Can't pick it out. No matter. Love.

Bang-bang accurate carbonation, the sour has generally rendered this a sipper, but RR gets the consistency right on.

I hate to validate all the RR boobs out there, but this is a great beer. Really enjoyed this. At this price I could not drink Supplication daily without liquidating my 401k, but I will seek out other RR wilds and would periodically by Supplication again.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

375ml Batch 006x2 into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to everyone who's traded me one of these; I think this particular bottle came from an in-person trade at the last Rosso release.

A: The ultra-tight cork finally gives way with a satisfying pop, and the beer pours a bright cherry-brown body underneath a solid inch of ultra-fine, creamy pinkish-tan foam. Strong retention but only faint, spotty lace. Lovely.

S: Hugely vinous aroma, with classic Pinot notes of earthiness and strawberries lying atop some tannic oak, sour cherries, barnyard, and straight lactic sourness. A somewhat dry, acetic undercurrent keeps things from being truly spectacularly juicy, but definitely keeps the fruit from threatening to be too sweet. As it warms the grape and cherry aspects become more prominent (which I find welcome). Excellent.

T: Tart cherries are right up front, but quickly give way to a huge wave of lactic sourness. Once this subsides the barrel components come into play nicely, with strawberry, grape, earthiness, spice and tannic oak all adding distinct notes of complexity on the way to a long, dry, vinous, and supremely sour finish. If anything I'd rather the sourness be dialed back just a touch so as to let the fruit and barrel nuances be more prominent. Still, it's nothing short of amazing - particularly the oaky, earthy aftertaste. Yum.

M: Soft medium body with plenty of ultra-fine effervescence. Delightful.

O: This is a terrific wild, no doubt about it. No aspect of it wowed me enough to push it into A+ territory, but it's as close as you a beer can get while still falling short. I'm going to have to try this alongside Rosso sometime to see how they compare, since they are by far the two most wine-like beers I've ever had. The tannic dryness of this beer's finish makes me feel like I've absolutely been drinking wine. Cool.

Cheers!

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Poured in a white wine glass.

This is my second ever bottle of supplication, pretty much my favorite thing ever.

Head dissipated quickly. The nose is incredible. Funk and cherries. The cherries return in the taste along with a faint oak turning tart and finishing dry and almost sweet. It's amazing how the cherries persist throughout without being over the top like a lindeman's. The effervescence sends the beer across my tongue but dries out quickly to leave just a hint of cherries. This is an amazing beer: nuanced and tasty.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company