Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,060
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
AgentZero

4.22/5  rDev -7.7%

A - Deep reddish color with a slight head that dissipated with some nice sticking on the sides. Very good looking beer.

S - Tart cheery smell, nice oaky backbone, get a nice wine, almost vinegar influence on this. Good funk, but tartly so.

T - Quite deep and tart, with a phenol brett-funk on the end. The cherry taste is dep, but not sweet, and the wine influence comes through nicely. Nice earth tones in a very rich taste. Slightly too deep, I prefer my wild ales to be a little lighter, but good tart taste.

M - Slightly slick, just a little too heavy for the style for me, but not bad. Very dry finish, nicely tart.

D - Easy drinker, good taste, sweetness is not overpowering by any means. Great beer by RR.

03-21-2010 20:44:41 | More by AgentZero
BeerGodz

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

On tap @ Standard Tap

Look: Deep amber, slight haze, thin head with no retention little lacing. No surprise though.

Smell: Brett funk, cherry, oak, and malt

Taste: Up Front: Tartness, cherry. Finish: Brett funk, oak, an almost Pinot Noir like flavor at the end

Mouthfeel: Light/crisp body with a light carbonation works perfectly here!

Drinkability: Simply amazing

Overall Impression: This beer is beyond amazing!!! I enjoyed this even more than Consecration, and I was not sure that was possible. It's very hard to find, and it's expensive, but you simply MUST buy it if you see it. Once you taste it, you'll forget all the price.

03-20-2010 19:37:29 | More by BeerGodz
meeekyh

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev -26.7%

From a 375 ml bottle into a Fin Du Monde tulip. Batch 04X5

The beer is a deep amber, clear save for the little bits of somethingoranother floating around in it. The head is off-white very full and fluffy and prone to lacing and leaving fluff.

Nose is lactic-acid, like buttermilk. Upon warming a bit I note some brown spices and green grasses.

Taste is sour with a bit of tartness. No, really. I can flesh out a bit of sweetness back there someplace and some plum but this is one tart treat. I imagine some more complexity could be there someplace...

mouthfeel is light and finish is dry.

Drinkability suffers both from the extreme tartness and the hefty price tag, though it is remarkable nonetheless.

I think I will not be buying much more of this beer. It is interesting and sour to be sure but not so much to my liking.

Slainte.

03-20-2010 04:19:31 | More by meeekyh
ecoastman

Ontario (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

This interesting ale has a nice cherry hue, cherry aroma, and cherry taste. The fine carbonation gives it a refreshing character and champagne-like feel. Really unique and I wish we could get it in Ontario. Thanks to JZED once again for sharing this rare treat from California.

03-20-2010 00:52:37 | More by ecoastman
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Batch 04x1

Thanks to sleepydave for dropping off this brew! After popping a Confluence the other night I was feeling a bit nervous about this one as well. At least I got the cage off this time before shooting the cap across the room. The bottle foamed up a bit, but I had two wine glasses ready to go, so no problem.

Pours a slightly hazy, orange-cherry color with a slick, thin, white head across the top. Leaves some pretty lacing down the glass.

Lots of sweet and sour cherries on the nose. The pinot noir character comes out as well, giving a the cherries a slightly vinous touch. Further swirling of the glass pulls out subtle oak notes, adding some nice complexity to the aroma. Besides the sour cherries there's not too much funkiness going on. Pretty clean.

Mmm... nice tart cherries wash over the tongue right away and eventually trail off into a dry, sour, finish. Vinegar notes mixed with wine, but still overshadowed by the cherries. Malts are fairly crisp and clean. The oak barrels come through nicely, adding just a touch of refined woodiness and traces of vanilla. The more I sip, the more this beer reveals. A very well crafted flavor.

Mouthfeel is a bit foamy, with champagne like carbonation. A slight bit of acidity, but not too much. Body is pretty good for an American wild, but not quite at same level as many of the Cantillon offerings.

Drinkability is good. Lots of tartness and cherry flavor. I could definitely enjoy a 375ml bottle by myself. I think if the body were a bit less foamy I could enjoy even more, but it's still goes down pretty easy. A beer that is meant to be sipped and savored.

Overall, this is my first Russian River sour out of the bottle and I'm finding it to be pretty awesome. Lots of cherry, nicely complex, this beer is a great example of the American wild style. My only real complaint is that I don't have a few to age in my cellar. Keep up the great work Russian River!

03-19-2010 01:15:31 | More by sisuspeed
DIM

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

I was very excited to split this with my dad. He loved Iron Hill's Barrel Aged Permanent Midnight, another sour beer aged in wine barrels. If he loved IH's I reasoned, surely this would knock his socks off. Sadly this wasn't the case. Too sour for his liking, he said. Oh well, on to what really matters, my opinion.

a: This is a dark golden color with some amber highlights. It poured with a small fizzy head.

s: I should just give up trying to describe sour beers, I just can't find the adjectives that seem to fit. I smell sour cherries that seem to have some floral qualities. I also got wine aromas blanketed by prickly mustiness. As woefully inadequate as it is, that is the best I can do.

t: Incredibly tart without quite becoming obnoxious. Dry overall, while managing to have a little underlying sweetness. Just a hint though. Tastes like red wine saturated with sour cherries. Here again, I just don't have the ability to describe what I'm tasting. I just know I love it.

m: The carbonation is on the gentle side. This has a looong tart finish.

d: Well, my dad looks like he is trying out for a Rolling Rock commercial. He just doesn't like it. For me though, I'm glad I was able to purchase and consume a bottle before the PLCB got ahold of it. Russian River continues to astound me.

03-18-2010 20:45:00 | More by DIM
jeffthecheff

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev +1.3%

Batch 4. Thanks to Joe for splitting the bottle. We prepared for a gusher by opening it over the sink...but it wasn't so bad. It pours a really nice, dark red color with good clarity. The color is really bright and inviting. A newsprint white head forms but quickly turns to great lacing in my tulip, with a few islands of foam.

The nose is sour with a bit of funk and mustiness. There's some nice, dark fruit in there, some fruit punch, and sour cherries. It's fruity, complex, and very inviting. The taste is earthy and fruity with a big cherry flavor. It reminds me of cherry flavored sour candy. There's also some citric lemon mixing in with all the fruitiness. The finish is a little tannic with an earthy, tea like flavor.

The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated, a bit more would have been good. The finish has a bit of a puckering tannic feeling to go with the acidity. This was a great beer that I will try and have again. Splitting this bottle is ideal.

03-16-2010 00:02:48 | More by jeffthecheff
callmescraps

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

It's about time. I've been saving this for a special occasion. Then I realized that drinking this beer would make any night a special occasion.

Appearance- A reddish chestnut. It appears brown, but glows a warm, deep ruby when held to the light. Half inch of head with some nice big bubbles. Slightly off-white.

Smell- Very nice. The cherry comes through, without a doubt. Sour, old cherries. A nice funky farmyard. There is a strong vinegar note that is sharp on the nose. The wood comes through as well. Good stuff all around.

Taste- The cherry comes through immediately. There is plenty of wood as well. It finishes wonderfully tart. Would like a little bit more of that funky goodness. That sharp sour note really gets the salivary glands going, so I'm literally drooling over this one. The acidity on this one is no joke.

Mouthfeel- Great carbonation. Nice and bubbly on the tongue. Good body. Very nice.

Drinkability- So tart it's a little tough, but I'd love another one. Still, the acidity is near overwhelming. Tums, please.

Another knockout from Russian River. I just can't get enough of their beers. May not like it quite as much as Consecration, but everyone is a winner in that comparison.

03-15-2010 05:44:29 | More by callmescraps
froghop

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -14.7%

pours a cloudy dark orange with a small off-white head, and good lacing.

smell is of sour malt, wild yeast, cherry, and tart fruits.

taste is tart, fruit, cherry, wild yeast, and malt, ends very sour and somewhat dry.

overall a very good sour ale.

03-15-2010 00:11:21 | More by froghop
squaremile

Oregon

4.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Nice orange/amber color, half finger white head that maintains throughout the whole glass. Well carbonated. The smell itself hurts my jaw and the sourness has a great bite but is not the most hardcore I've ever had. Instead it's just perfect for continued drinking. Cherries, pinot, and oak flavors dominate. The drinkability is truly exceptional. One of the best wild ales I've ever had.

03-14-2010 05:30:37 | More by squaremile
semibaked

Kentucky

4.22/5  rDev -7.7%

Many Thanks to bulldogp04 for sharing this with me. Poured into my fav Tulip glass. This was batch 004.

A - Pours an amber color with about a half an inch of tan head with tons of carbonation and some decent lacing on the glass.

S - Super nice oak aroma with some bright cherry juice and a great sour funk to it.

T - Super bright sour cherry taste with phenomenal sourness.

M - Medium bodied with sharp carbonation, better mouthfeel than I thought it would have.

D - As much as I enjoyed trying this I can't see drinking it alot, it is a palette bomb for sure.

03-14-2010 03:47:30 | More by semibaked
SpeedwayJim

4.53/5  rDev -0.9%

Batch 001 375ml. corked, caged, and taped bottle with the most stubborn cork I have ever come across... poured into a tulip. Shared with schen9303.

A: Standard pour yields a 2 finger coarse white head with great retention. Beer is a cloudy reddish clay color. Lacing is minimal, spotty in parts with very little cling.

S: Sweet and sour cherries, wood, farmhouse funk, with a subtle vinegar. Smells exactly like it should with moderate power.

T: Wood, vinegar, this one will burn a hole in your stomach. Very acidic, cherry flavor is present. Dissipates slightly towards the middle where booze becomes a bit more apparent. Woody and funky in the finish. Woodiness as an extremely unique aftertaste. Sweeter as it warms with a steadily creeping cherry candy flavor.

M: Light bodied, not overly coarse, but quite carbonated. Watery in the mouth and surprisingly not dry. Finish lingers a bit and is very unique and pleasant, begging me to go back for more.

D: Good complexity here though not overly so. What does it for me with this beer is the body. Amazingly light, invigorating, and drinkable, it complements the flavors present perfectly. Oddly filling also considering the light body, it exhausts and puzzles my palate. I could have glass after glass of this one though. Definitely worth seeking out and trying if you get a chance!

03-14-2010 00:54:46 | More by SpeedwayJim
samie85

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Originally reviewed on 2/28/10 at Falling Rock Tap House. I'm back to try Supplication after some palate fatigue.

A- Pours a garnet hue with a thin white head.

S-Acidic, tart cherries, oak and soil are also present.

T-Follows the nose with acidic, tart cherries, some vanilla and that clay-like characteristic is there again.

M-Effervescent and thin bodied.

D-Pretty easy drinking for the style and way too close to call between this and Temptation. It's a coin flip situation to determine which is better.

03-13-2010 07:10:20 | More by samie85
riored4v

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

Reviewed on 3/1/10

Poured into a Duvel Tulip. Amber with hints of ruby. 1 finger, white head that faded to a thin layer quickly.

Smell had good amount of oak and a nice presence of tart, dark cherries and some acidity.

Taste had good hints of oak. Nice acidity in the finish. Great amount of tartness and dark cherry flavor. Some great puckering that hits you in the back of your cheeks.

Mouthfeel was light body and very dry. High carbonation.

Drinkability was great. Seriously sucks that the bottle was so small. Even with the tartness it was still very drinkable.

Overall, this was very close to Consecration, but some extra tartness and oak presence.

03-11-2010 01:53:38 | More by riored4v
pwoody11

Delaware

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

Batch 04x4 served in snifter.

Pours a nice dark amber. Very carbonated. Pour left a 3 finger head that was off white with a hint of orange color to it. Lacing is incredible and head lasted until the last drop

The aroma is kind of funky. Almost musty. Not really picking up on any cherry notes specifically but am getting some fruit notes, more along the lines of red wine.

WOW! Love it. Taste immediately reminds me of red wine. Tart and sweet. Slight hint of heat towards the end. Still not picking up much cherry.

Mouthfeel is dry and carbonated. Pleasant.

To sum this beer up, it's like beer, wine, and champagne all in one. I have to believe it is truly one of a kind. I hope I am able to get my hands on this again sometime soon.

03-09-2010 22:04:42 | More by pwoody11
dukedevil0

4.13/5  rDev -9.6%

Big thanks goes out to Evan (beddachedda) for sending this 375mL bottle to me in a recent trade. Batch 04x1.

A: Pours into the glass a brown color with reddish tint that lead to just a thin layer of white bubbles

S: Smells lightly funky, lactic scent, tart cherries, light oakiness

T: Very similar to the smell - sour cherries, light oakiness, lactic acid and some minimal funk

M: Highly carbonated and almost too much so if you ask me that makes this really full bodied

D: Surprisingly, even though I'm not a big fan of sours yet, I am liking this beer the more sips I take. I guess that's just getting used to the style. I wouldn't drink a ton of this, but it's a nice change from the usual beers to sip on for an occasion.

03-08-2010 01:38:31 | More by dukedevil0
boatshoes

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Received this bottle from a great California trader, Arbitrator, who hooked me up for the recent release. Bottle is batch 04x5. Had this one other time from a different batch on tap at my first GABF and loved it. Interested to see how it differs from a bottle.

Appearance- Pours a translucent shade of darkish amber into my snifter and comes out of the bottle with about a finger of slightly off-white head. Massive amounts of beading up the side of my glass as I drink and the head dies back rather slowly into a fairly dense sheet across the top of the beer. What gets this beer particularly high marks in the looks department from me is the lacing. For a barrel-aged sour, this beer leaves a tremendous amount of lacing as I drink. Really looks nice in the glass.

Smell- Wow, very tart with lots and lots of oak coming through. Right up front, you get a whiff of that lactic tartness that is tinted with a cherry fruitiness and perhaps just a touch of barnyard funk. After that comes the wood, which mixes very nicely with the tartness and slight fruitiness. Smells great.

Taste- Very very complex. Up front, I get the fruity, cherry tartness. Mixed in with this is the oak, a woody pithiness, and some iron. For me, this drinks amazingly like a complex Flanders red ale. Possibly the best integrated, most flavorful Russian River that I've had (though I have yet to be disappointed). Really like this one.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is well-carbonated and has a good deal of body for the style. Being a sourhead, the well integrated flavors and overall high quality of this brew really put the drinkability off the charts.

Overall, an outstanding sour. I really like this and it is probably my favorite Russian River to date (out of Consecration and Temptation). Get ahold of this one.

03-08-2010 00:08:14 | More by boatshoes
Beerisheaven

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

Recent batch sent to me by one of BA's best traders and all-around good guys - ipa247.

Popped this 375 bottle and it sounds like a small firecracker on July 4th. Loud pop with wispy cloud.

A - Made sure to not be too aggressive with the pour as I have read reviews that it is a bit of a gusher. Ruby color red with a large pillow of white immediately upon pour. As you work your way through the glass, significant retention on the glass. Very impressive.

S & T - Cherry and oak dominate this beer with a measurable amount of funk but not over the top. The taste is just about perfect. Beautiful tart sour cherry and oak combine to make this a world class beer. Not face puckering by any means. If you are a not a huge fan of sours, this is the beer for you. As soon as I started drinking it, I became sad knowing that I was killing off one of the bottles.

M & D - Very nice, but I dinged it just a bit not knowing how much of this I could actually drink. One 375 bottle was more than enough for me.

I always liked Temptation, but this one is now my favorite in an impressive lineup of RR beers. I need to get more of this, because it is a beer that I would like to have whenever the desire is there. Really top notch.

Thanks Jeff for picking this up and sending to me. More, more, more!!

03-07-2010 21:25:38 | More by Beerisheaven
erosier

Connecticut

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thank to tzanio for this one!

L: Pours a nice copper orange brown color with a tall and medium bodied white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malt, huge cherry, wood, and a big sour aroma at the end. Complex yet enticing aroma.
T: Tastes of sweet roasted malts, big cherry flavors mixed with oak notes, a big sour almost citrus-y sour finishes this one off.
M: Very crisp, medium bodied, full flavored, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Pretty drinkable. This was very interesting and the flavors all mixed very well. Excellent beer.

03-07-2010 13:58:43 | More by erosier
JBogan

Nevada

4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

An attractive dark amber body supports a one finger off white crown. There's a substantial amount of lacing left behind. This is one good looking beer.

The delicate aroma consists of cherry, oak and a light barnyard funk.

The taste is even better. One again cherries play the leading role, the oak the supporting cast (cask?), and the barnyard funk is there in the finish along with a bit of lemon. A near perfect blend and extremely delicious.

The mouthfeel is smooth, rich and with a slightly dry finish.

Wow, what a nice sour. I was extremely impressed by this beer and would recommend it to anyone who even remotely likes this style.

03-07-2010 02:09:30 | More by JBogan
loving44

3.9/5  rDev -14.7%

From notes:

A: Deep ruby brown with a pillow-like foamy head.

S: Sour cherries, lifesavers, very wine like

T: Sour cherries, sour patch kids with citrus sweetness, starts malty and sweet then quickly turns tart.

M: light with tight carbonation

D: Delicious and addictive, the tartness keeps you in check, easy to savor sip by sip, a great beer!

03-06-2010 06:07:26 | More by loving44
oceanman

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Aromas of cherries and berries, grassy funk, pepper, lemon, vanilla, baking spices.

First sip is a burst of sourness followed by cherry finish, then complexity builds. Gets lemony, and increasingly creamy, but definitely has a peppery and earthy side. Finishes very dry. Towards the end of the bottle, I got the exact taste of slightly tannic green tea with honey.

Has a very dry sourness.

You want to take very small sips of this one. Each sip brings something new.

03-06-2010 04:21:07 | More by oceanman
djbreezy

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +5%

appearance - very consistent pour and settling, one finger head and nice lacing that sticks, reddish/amber opaque in color

smell - cherry nose, very fragrant and consistent

taste - cherry taste, sweet and tart, complex, sour but not aggressive

mouthfeel - strong body, consistent mouthfeel, medium carbonation, smooth finish

drinkability - very drinkable, excellent flavor, great treat

03-06-2010 04:18:05 | More by djbreezy
mutterfudder

New Hampshire

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

Batch 04x5, poured into a Cantillon glass.

A - Tawny deep copper/brown color. It pours with a thin head that sticks around for the entirety of the beer. some thin lacing crawls down the glass.

S - Tart cherries and wood. There is a slight vinegar nose but nothing out of control. The beer smells like a cherry lover's dream.

T - Brown style ale lends a good base here, as there is a roasty malt flavor and even a little hint of hops. But you'll have to dig for those flavors, since the tartness and cherry are the most present notes here. Again, this is well balanced, and not too sweet or tart; the biggest advantage the beer has is this restraint and balance.

M / D - The mouthfeel is exceptional; crisp and refreshing. As for drinkability? I could have a couple of these a night. If only they were easier to find!

All in all, it's another amazing beer from RR!

03-03-2010 00:32:16 | More by mutterfudder
mbudner

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

10oz pour at Monk's Cafe. While I noticed some marked differences between this and the batch 3 bottle I had last year, I wasn't aware that I was drinking Batch 1 (4.5 years old) until later in the afternoon. Especially with all of the talk that batch 4 is very pungently cherried, I assumed I was having delusions or that Younger had wrecked my palate, neither of which is true.

A- Pours a brownish amber with 1-finger of off white head, which is very spritzy and dissipated quickly leaving sticky, streaky lacing.

S- Huge lactic character with a slightly vinegary aroma (which is much more pronounced that I remember from the fresher bottle I sampled.) I wrote in my notes that I got no cherry whatsoever in the nose, due to the overpowering lactic sourness and this makes perfect sense in retrospect. The old wood and vinegar that followed the sourness are much more welcome with the knowledge that this beer had been aged for 4.5 years.

T- Initially, I get an ever-so-slight fruitness, which I wouldn't even single out as cherries except for the fact that I know this beer is aged with cherries. The Pinot Noir barrels may play a role in this initial fruiting as well. The fruit immediately gives way to the huge lacto sourness I have already alluded to in the smell category. In the finish, I get a lot of the vinegar flavor, which is much more intertwined with the woodiness and marked leathery flavors making it much more enjoyable than in the nose.

MF- Spritzy mouthfeel with a medium body. The fresh consecration I sampled right after this was slightly syrupy for my liking, but this was pretty much the perfect viscosity for this beer.

D- Slightly more acidic that I would like to the point where it had a burn that was slightly more on the esophagus than most any sour I have tasted. This is not to say that it was more sour or worse, it just burned a little. Other than that one downside, however, the beer was extremely drinkable and has held up VERY nicely.

03-02-2010 21:11:07 | More by mbudner