1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,132
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this as a send-off to 2010 and had only had small GABF samples prior.
Pours a brownish red that's surprisingly pretty clear throughout. Head is heavy initially, but fades into a sheen that laces as well as you could hope.
The primary flavor profiles overlap and ebb/flow between citrus, sour cherries, lemon rind, dry red wine, and spicy notes from the yeast. Occasionally I'd pick up malt notes that remind me of the balsamic-like Belgian browns, too. There's so much going on, but it never seems like any one flavor dominates and everything seems to work in harmony.
I split one of the newer 375's of this and truly wish I had more. Even at a pretty steep price, this stuff is worth every penny.
Definitely something I plan on seeking out in the future, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for this on tap, too.

Domingo, Jan 01, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -7.9%

Batch 4, bottling 5 poured into my snifter.

A - cloudy brown with a finger white head which stays for the whole our. Lacing is fairly heavy and slowly cascades down the side of the glass.

S - Intense aroma - loads of lemon, vinegar, grass, and some phenoly alcohol.

T - Intensely tart lemon and mouth puckering vinegar and funky farmhouse/grass. This isn't the most sour wild/geuze I've ever had, but it certainly does the trick. You can definitely detect where the "brown" from the sour brown ale came from - though the malt profile is absolutely swallowed by the tart and funk, there is a little bit of residual caramel and nut flavor when you search for it. The finish is astringent, mouth drying lemony vinegar with a grassy quality. Imo, not as mouth puckering and dry as a consecration, but ten fold the sour as say, a temptation.

M - medium body with mediumish carbonation. The vinegar and lemon qualities are lingering for quite a long time. This isn't necessarily a negative, but the finish is intense.

D - This is a Tums required beer; so vinegary, so acidic that you'll eventually need some relief after a 375. As much as I love the flavor, this gets somewhat offensive when you near the dregs. After nearly a whole 375ml, I feel like I've stripped a coat of skin off my tongue and mouth.

drewba, Jan 01, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A great sour to help ring in the new year.

A: Fairly opaque, very dark burnt orange. Quickly dissipating, small bubbled white head.

S: Smells very strongly of lacto-sour. That smell is so distinctive and overpowering that it's

T: Distinctly sour, hard to pick out any outstanding hops or malts, but it's notable for it's lack of a harshness at the end of the taste. The tart cherry flavor is pretty up front in the flavor profile.

M: Med-light body.

D: Fairly drinkable, very good for a sour though.

MatthewPatthew, Jan 01, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

OK, I've said before that I don't really like sours. This beer has converted me. Wow.

A: Light gold with red highlights, lots of thin bubbles clinging to the class. Really beautiful.

S: Tart cherry, strawberry, rich wine-y notes. There's something slightly sweet in the smell.

T: Tartness with slight strawberry flavor upfront, followed by a distinct funk, and bitterness across my whole tongue. The aftertaste is winey, and I love the sweet and aromatic wood flavor at the end. Tartness lingers on the back of the tongue for 30+ seconds, but is never pucker-worthy. End tastes of fresh cut grass, young wood, and maybe fresh pea or something like that. Incredibly refreshing.

M: Really tiny prickly bubbles.

D: This is the first sour that I've been determined to purchase again. Amazing.

thebreederswow, Jan 01, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

A Classic solid sour from RR.

A: Pours a dark amber with lots of bubbles and a head that dies down quickly, not a lot of lacing either, but i wasn't expecting much.

S: Smell is very funky, but not overly sour like some wilds tend to be. Tart cherry is the star with touches of vanilla oak, yeast, and a sugar coating rounds it out, nice stuff.

T: Awesome flavor that showcases great balance while still having an awesome tartness. Barnyard funk, tart cherry, oak vanilla, very savory sweet end at the back of the palate with some fruit rind bitterness to boot. Sour twist of lemon and lime under the cherry. Some malt to balance as well. Awesome.

M: Nice carbonation yet smooth and leaves the tongue electric with flavor.

D: High for a sour in my opinion. While most sours are good for 4oz and then you're done, this one you can have a good bit more and not get tired of it. Great balance, tasty!

Dreadnaught33, Dec 30, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was on the bottle list at Bar Crudo in San Francisco, I couldn't pass up the chance to try this beer (though I did see bottles of it later, I just wasn't sure that I would). Pours a golden orange colour with about a finger of white head. Nice head retention and amazing layer of lace down the side of the glass. Smells of sour cherries and apples, with some vinegar and oak as well. Flavour is quite sour. I let my friends try this beer, which then set them off on a quest to keep drinking sour beers whenever possible for the rest of the trip.

kwjd, Dec 29, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

poured into a flute glass from a 375ml bottle, batch 005X3

a- absolutely gorgeous, a murky copper sun. light on the edges of the glass, dark orange in the center. about finger of head.

s- amazing, a strong smell of tart cherries come through on the nose. sour scents

t- amazing strong taste of tart cherries, perfect amount of sourness and carbonation

m- great mouth feel, as it rolls around the tongue the flavor really comes out, the carbonation becomes very prevalent.

d- is it really finished? I can seriously be drinking this all night long.

do yourself a favor, if this bottle is available to you pick it up, if not, trade for it. You wont be disappointed. if you like sours and flanders definitely give it a try.

KevSal, Dec 29, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -16%

Into snifter from 375 mL bottle, reddish copper...almost pink tint. Smells of funk, red wine.
Very sour, acidic. Burns my throat a bit. Almost too Vinegary. Complex. Funk comes through in aftertaste, lingers. Sweetness in there as well.
Slow drinker due to the overwhelming sour/vinegar. Glad this was in a 375 mL, I don't know what I would have done with a larger bottle.

dborginis, Dec 29, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -8.3%

Bottle, Monks Cafe Philidelphia, PA

Poured a light tan/Orange glow with a light off white head forming pretty well. The head stuck around for a bit and left some nice lacing on the glass. The aroma of this brew gave my Wife and I a clue that this was going to pucker us up. The smell consisted of Sour Fruits Cherry's and apples up and to the front. Though in the background seemed to be a herbal undertone that gave these sour smells more power.
The first sip blew both of us away as we quickly fell in love with it. My Wife who from this beer alone has joined the ranks of craft beer enthusiast, is now drinking wild ale, saisions, lambics, and Barleywines. The flavor was very sour but not to the point where it left no flavor, quit the opposite. The flavors plowed threw our taste buds with the carbonation at a perfect level to achieve this move. After my second sip I removed my self to use the washroom and came back to an empty bottle. The Wife had no look of guilt but of satisfaction. Which she now pays for with the shipping of these types of beers as it is little to find in my area.

BZero007, Dec 27, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -14.5%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Tan/brown, not much of a head, not much lacing

Smell - Tons of smells, Ginger Sour apples, minty, hop overtones, yeasty, cinnamon. Smells like them sour patch gummy bear chews.

Taste - Wow, insane sour bitter beer face from first drink. Very tart. Lots of different flavors espically sour apples. Not much more can be said

Mouthfeel - Incredible sour bitters whole mouth. Small drinks, sip this cause mouth is wrecked! First drink kills.

Drinkabilty - This is a sipper, once a year session beer. Its very good for the style but hell, i didnt even want to finish my glass let alone whole beer. Its too intense, no way i could drink 2. Its good experence, and i will drink again, probily next year.

wvsabbath, Dec 26, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -6.1%

From a bottle khiasmus was kind enough to hook me up with. I decided I might as well open this one up on Christmas day, I've been waiting a long time to try this one. Poured into a snifter.

A: A cloudy slightly orange brown with about half an inch of off white head. The head stays around in a thin layer (at least it has so far) and leaves nice lacing behind.

S: First smell and I get that nice mouth watering sour smell. Smells very tart and some cherries. Maybe hints of sour apple.

T: Very sour but not quite pucker up forehead sweat sour. The sour fades and leaves a great cherry aftertaste.

M: Pretty thin, very strong lactic presence makes me think my teeth are losing enamel with each sip. Perfect level of carbonation leaves adds to the great mouthfeel.

D: Gets easier to drink as it goes. I have to think a couple bottles would tear up your stomach though.

BS68280, Dec 25, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

Little corked bottle poured into a St. Bernardus glass

A little cloudy, orangey-brown, very little head, medium active carbonation. Smell is tart and pleasant, a little unripe orange or maybe grapefruit juice, cherry blossom.

Taste is very tart with a dry chalky twist (which is better than it sounds). Makes me think a little bit of the big white chalky chewable vitamin C pills that my parents used to have (and which I secretly loved). Tartness is strong enough for a big mouthful to twinge my jaws.

Mouthfeel is dry, light, not sticky at all. A little effervescent. I couldn't session any beer this tart, but it's a pleasant, tasty beer.

snaotheus, Dec 24, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Tasting on 12/16 with GarrettMD. Batch 04x5, 375 mL bottle into DFH snifter.

A - Pours a clear ruby-ish copper with a half finger of off white head. Looks nice.

S - This is not a smell I know. Is this the legendary "Brett funk"? It is a bit sweet, a bit sour, and yeasty. Sour black cherries and perhaps some sour apple.

T - Extremely sour on the first sip, you get used to it as you drink. Definitely earns the title of Sour Ale. Sour apple and sour cherries. I am instantly reminded of the dry acidity of pinor noit. This is so so delicious.

M - Medium to light body with very active carbonation. A bit cloying finish.

D - Despite the sourness I find it very easy to drink. Tart and sweet and an absolute joy and privilege to drink.

greenmonstah, Dec 23, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured into a MJ tasting glass.

Pours a ruby hue with orange highlights around the edges of the glass. About a finger of head that drops rather quickly. But a very effervescent brew.

Aromas of lactic sourness, oakiness, cherry stones, vinegar, and cherries.

First sip is of a slightly puckering sourness. A bit of a carbonic bite. Sour cherry juice, untoasted oak. Vinegar and lactic sourness. And cherry pits.

Mouthfeel is thin, tart, and a drying puckerness.

Drinkability is fairly good. A "classic" american wild brew. Missing some intangibles from a belgian sour, lack of "earthiness." Overall good, but nothing to get too excited about. Not getting the hype.

JamnesCameron, Dec 22, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a corked 375ml bottle into a snifter glass.

A: A darker golden orange color with a prickly two finger white head. No glass lacing to speak of.

S: Wow, sour and tartness jump with smells of fruit, cherry, apple and some yeastiness.

T: Sour? Absolutely, just plain mouth puckering from the second it hits your lips. Flavors of dark fruit, cherry, some apple, pear with some very slight (I do mean slight) sweetness. Some yeastiness but no funk. Finish remains sour and puckering that just lasts seemingly forever. So this has brett in it? I'm not getting any classic brett flavors.

M: Tart, puckering, full, coating.

D: Medium, it was the perfect serving size but more might not have been better.

Overall this is one sour beer (like I expected anything less), but a great beer at that. RR is amazing with their sours as they are just so damn good. I might like Consecration better, but this is one great beer too.

Kadonny, Dec 20, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

A - A hazy ruby/copper hue with thin white head. Head fades to a thin lacing of bubbles. Seems to be hazy due to carbonation.

S - I can safely say I have never smelled that aroma before in my life (this is the first sour I have ever had). I will assume the brett is what I smell. Sweet smelling but I can't place any aroma at all...

T - Wow. Wow. Sour. Lots of sour apples. Dark cherry flavor as well. Complex, but once again I can't place any of the flavors as I have never had anything like it before.

M - Medium body, lots of carbonation. Sour all the way through with a nice crisp finish.

D - Extremely drinkable. ABV doesnt show at all, this might as well not have any alcohol as far as I'm concerned. The sourness isn't too overpowering either. I had never had a sour, so I expected this to force my to pucker up the entire taste, not the case.

Batch 04x5

GarrettMD, Dec 16, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a corked and caged 375ml.

Batch 005X5

A: Ports a reddish amber with little clarity. The head is a think white layer that has nice lacing and somehow stays with throughout the tasting.

S: Sour Cherry, lime, very little oak if any.

T: The sour cherries and overall tart is great. The sourness hits the front of my pallet aggressively but fades away allowing for more of the subtle notes to shine.
The brett/lacto/pedio and apparent but man does this finish so clean. If it were easy I suspect all American Wilds would taste this good.

M: Not to thick. The carbonation here is perfect for the style.

D: Perfect ! I could drink much more than RR would suggest...

AndrewNations, Dec 15, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoying this the evening before my first brewery only release at Troegs for Splinter Black. From a batch 5 bottle. Shared with the woman, who gives the dreaded beerface to it (a day after giving La Folie two thumbs up!).

Supplication is a wildy tasty sour. Great lacing, half finger of head that dissipates but spots the glass and retains well. The aroma is strong of cherries and puckering tartness. Taste follows the nose and is dark cherries that pucker but aren't overwhelmed by malts. The malts are present too, just dominated by the sourness.

For all the sour, it's still highly drinkable. After the medium body, nicely carbonated brew goes through it leaves you puckering for more. At 7.00%, that's not hard. Only problem is the price.

afksports, Dec 15, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

25 cl pour into Delirium Tremens mini-snifter at Belmont Station PDX 12.1.2010 $5.

3/4 finger brown head, quick dissipation resulting in thin broken layer on top of clear reddish brown body, small trail of very small bubbles rising from bottom of glass. Nose is a bit fruity, some oakiness, horse blanket funk, not picking up a lot of hop aromatics. Taste features a bit of cherry sweetness upfront, a bit more tart than sour, funky backend, musty, some floral hops but not much bitterness, not mouth puckering sour. Mouthfeel just on the light side of medium, pretty sticky. Drinkability is good for style but dont' want to do multiple glasses re palate fatigue. Complex and certainly recommended for fans of the style.

jdense, Dec 12, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Batch 5, Barrel 3
A- orange/golden with great head that sticks around for quite a while
S- very very sour... not sure what else to say
T- sour sweet tarts with a hint of malt...
M- smooth, well carbonated
D- Sharp and bitter making it tough to do more than sip a bit. Definitely couldn't drink a whole bottle

Urbancaver, Dec 12, 2010

Batch 005x 2 split with milwaukeeclassic and batting lead off during tonight's impending monster snowstorm

Pours ruddy copper with a thin white collar

Tart cherry, vinegar, and heavy oak on the nose

Much livelier in taste than smell. Tart cherries at the get go muted by funk and vinegar across the middle. Highly acidic and hugely tannic on the back. Barrel is all over this beer. Perhaps memory is faulty, but I've had this beer a handful of times including on tap at the brewery and this just doesn't seem the same: less sour and more vinegar and oak.

Another conundrum lies in the mouthfeel. A lively pop from the cork portended a high level of carbonation. Once poured and allowed to settle, the promise isn't quite kept. Oddly it seems just a bit off.

Not to blaspheme, and I'm sure this isn't a bad bottle, but this just didn't deliver on the promise of what I know to be a good beer. A mild disappointment.

BarrytheBear, Dec 12, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a corked and caged 375ml bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Thanks to hippityhops85 for this from our recent trade!

Batch 005X3

A: After the cork loudly popped out of the bottle it poured a reddish-amber color. Fanning out on top was a light khaki colored, one finger layer of foam that retained for ages. Carbonation was lively and lots of lace was left stuck in the glass.

S: Tart berry, lemon, damp oak, sour cherry, and the slightest hint of dry/roasty malt.

T: Great flavors of tart berry/sour cherry, oak, and hints of tangy citrus.

M: Tangy and dry with a bit of acidic vinegar. Not quite pucker inducing. Awesome.

D: Consider me impressed. I would consider this a sessionable sour. Totally excellent!

GbVDave, Dec 12, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

GRADING IS BASED ON THIS ONE!: Batch 04X2. Massive thanks goes out to dyan for this bottle in a long past trade! Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Poured a massively hazy red-orange with a three finger off-white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, and a hint of dark fruit upon warming up. The flavor was of sweet malt, excellent sour, nice tart, dark fruit, hint of funk, and a floral note on the followthrough. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew is excellent. I must have more of this one!!! Definitely has an excellent aroma, but the flavor is other-worldly. I was really surprised how the floral note on the followthrough seems to cleanse you palate to prepare it for your next sip. Just purely amazing. This is probably my favorite Wild Ale that I have consumed to date without a doubt. Hope I can find something better in the future, but this one is going to be hard to top!

Batch 003! Massive thanks goes out to gcurlow for hooking this one up for beeruser and I to tick! Served from bottle into a Sweetwater snifter. Poured bright orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, wood, fruit, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, funk, wood, tart, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly great brew still. I have been lucky to try this one multiple times and have never been disappointed. While this one did carry a slightly different flavor and aroma there really wasn't a huge difference between the two batches I've reviewed. However, the carbonation seemed to have dropped off a little bit on this one as it was a little older. Still definitely one of my favorite AWAs out there today. 4.5 appearance/4.5 aroma/4.5 tate/4 mouthfeel/4.5 overall

thagr81us, Dec 08, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

WOW

I have had the opportunity to try this on tap and in the bottle quite a few times and it never ceases to amaze me every single time I have it.

Pours a deep brown with red highlights. Looks like rotten cherry juice, in the best way.

Smells fantastic. Cherries, lots of tart acidity in the nose, a little bit of vinegar but it is subdued. There's a little bit of funk to it as well.

Taste is even better, no, MUCH better than the nose. This is possibly one of the most complex beers I've ever had, but I can't really tell... I'm too busy enjoying how amazing it tastes to care about complexity. Cherries. Tart, TART, yummy, sour, delicious cherries but not too fruity. Some of the wine taste comes in as well. If you're a wine lover, then you'll enjoy this. It's reminiscent of Rodenbach Grand Cru if you're looking for something to compare it to if you've never had it, but it is SO MUCH better. I get lost drinking this beer, and I can't get enough of it.

I'm literally thinking about moving out to Santa Rosa just so I can go to the Russian River brewpub and drink this every day.

Estocker, Dec 08, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 375mL bottle into my Duchesse goblet. Got one of these from mikesgroove and one from domtronzero. Thanks guys! This is a review of 004 x 02

A- Hazy orang/red body with a decent sized off white head resting on top.

S - Smell's like this one will be pretty sour. Also picking up hints of cherry. Oak notes are certainly present as well.

T - More funky and less tart than I was expecting. Really clean finish. Some cherry notes but not too much. Plenty of barrel flavor. Earthy notes are also in play

M - medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

D - A nice sour indeed. Plenty of funk and other good wild notes. Not as sour as I would have liked but I've found that to be the case with most RR sours. I like this one better than Consecration and Temptation bt not as much as some other sours out there. I would certainly drink/buy this one again if I had the chance but wouldn't go too crazy trying to get it.

jpmclaug, Dec 08, 2010