Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,158
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Everything I've had from this brewery has been excellent. The adding of cherries to the barrel aging process increases the appeal of this particular beer. 375ml poured into my Birra Moretti wine style glass.

A: An almost Ruby color. Poured the beer slowly & had very low head with highly active carbonation.

S: A bright cherry nose with a little bit of brett funk & wood mixed in.

T: This brew is quite tart. Definately finishes with some of that fuckyness, but in the best way possible.

M: A cheek puckering mouthfeel.

O: Another quality product. Something I'd go back to in that $10+ range again & again.

inthebeeraisle, May 14, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Poured into an oversized snifter... starts with a nice light colored head that lingers momentarily... leaves little lacing. Beer is a very dark ruby amber color a tiny bit of sediment and very light activity

S- Very aromatic... the smell of cherries pour from the bottle as soon as the cork is popped, accompanied by a hint of funk

T- So good. Starts sour with a some toasted earthy notes before the sour funky pluckyness intensifies and takes over

M- Medium body with medium carbonation

O- This one lives up to all the recognition. It's different, but equally as good as the consecration IMO

CHEERS

bbeane, May 14, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

Received from a west coast connection and saw that it was listed as #16 all-time on BA... excited to try.

Visually, I appreciated this beer. Pretty burgundy color that made me pick up on the Pinot Noir aging right away.

The smell let me know right away that this might be more on the sour side than I anticipated from reading reviews.

Taste/mouthfeel reminds me of a belgian geuze. Super tart that leaves my tongue feeling thin. Was hoping for a little bit of a richer taste as this is more of a "wild ale" than a sour.

Overall I'm not blown away y this beer but can appreciate it for what it is. At the same time I'm a bit surprised that this came in so high all-time on the rankings. I'd grab for a Blind Pig from Russian River much quicker than I would for this.

Yagman3000, May 13, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Newer vintage of Supplication served from a 375ml bottle into a tulip.

A: A rich rose/amber color that looks stunning when held up to the light. Small white head that dissipates rather quickly, head leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S: Smell number one is FUNK, and a lot of it, then the cherry shows up to the party. Then it just is a duet between the two, it’s very enjoyable.

T: First sip makes the mouth pucker from the tartness; this is very dry wild ale also. Then once you get past the tartness and the dryness its all cherry and oak funk that floods the mouth.

M: Ideal for a beer like this, it’s a little dry, but that is just what makes this so enjoyable. Carbonation is on par and the drinkability is amazing.

O: This is one of my favorite Wild Ales on the market, and it’s nice that RR brews this and releases it a few times a year. Always nice to have a fresh back to drink and then a few to age.

MrTopher, May 13, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to forgetfu for sending me this beer!

A: Very nice pop sound upon taking the cork out. Poured a deep copper/ruby color with a bunch of small bubbles being released to the top. A nice white head formed on top, made up of tiny bubbles. Great head retention and lacing.

S: The aroma had a very nice tartness. The cherries were evident as was a slight funk and a little bit of wood. Even though it was tart there was a slight sweetness to it as well.

T: The flavor profile is not as funky/barnyardy as I was expecting, not that its a bad thing. The tartness hits immediately with sour cherries. There is a slight sweetness to slightly balance the tart as well as a little bit of wood/oak to offset the fruit.

M: Medium bodied with lively carbonation. Very smooth drinking and made me pucker a little bit.

O: A nice treat to pop open on my birthday. An easy drinking beer with great flavor. Would be a nice beer to have on hand for certain occasions, but not something I want to drink everyday...but I wouldn't turn it down either.

mdaschaf, May 11, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -20.4%

375ml bottle...man, that's some thick glass.
Pours lighter than I expected, but still a nice amber with a fairly dense head. The small snifter glass I was using really captured the foam and the aroma, which is...sour. Although not all cherry. While some cherry is present, I get more of an apricot or overripe persimmon. Some sweet caramel just barely on the end.

Very small hints of strawberry and red plum in the flavors. Mostly sour bread, sour grapes and cherries. The pinot noir is subtle as is the cherry flavor. Not quire sure which cherries are used. Apricot comes and goes, and the caramel is summarily killed.

Sour, but not overly so. Not much sweetness on this one. Pretty darn good.

Mebuzzard, May 11, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Amber color with high carbonation and about a 2 finger head

S: Mostly brett with a hint of cherries

T: Lots of brett up front but who says thats a bad thing. Some oak and cherries come though, mild tartness, enjoyable.

M: Well carbonated, creates a nice puckering sensation. Hint of dryness

D: I love RR sours but I think this has to be my least favorite. Trying to age some to see if it gets any better but right now id put it in 4th behind Compunction, Temptation, Consecration and Sanctification.

Dobby, May 09, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

Finally reviewing this. I've bought dozens of these for trades but never got around to trying it. It's not even noon on Monday and I'm busting this one out....at work.

A: Crimson amber in color with a nice lasting almond colored head that forms a thick ring around the edges. Clarity is medium to good.

S: Obviously the first thing I smell is the funky brett aroma. It's not something you can really cover up, although it has to be one of the more pleasant brett beers I've had the pleasure of smelling as it's not overwhelming and compliments the other aromas nicely. There's some tartness to the nose too, probably from the pinot barrels, some cherries and a faint vanilla aroma along with an oaky woody essence.

T: Taste is of cherries, oak, kind of a sweet malt/vanilla backbone but very, very subtle. The wine/pinot essence comes through too as a kind of tartness, although this could be from the brett too. There's a slight alcoholic warmth to this as well. Very complex, and very balanced for the style.

M: Mouthfeel is great. Not too dry, just right. Carbonation is perfect. Finishes smooth.

O: Probably one of the best wild/brett ales I've had. Very delicious. I can't really complain about anything on this one.

julian, May 09, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Its a dark amber colored with plenty of active carbonation that creates a nice 2 finger head.

S - First sniff is of Brett funk and then hints of cherries. Smells like a mix of a dry red and white wine.

T - The taste is a very nice tartness of cherries and hints of oak.

M - Medium to light bodied, fairly light on the carbonation. Finish is very dry, and delicious.

O - This is a very well crafted brew and worthy of being called one of the best beers in the world. One of my first sours and was a little worried if I would like it or not and its great!

jradams76, May 09, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -55%

A. Semi peachish amber color. Pours with plenty of head, roughly 1.5 fingers.

Smell. You sure this is beer? lol. Smells of heavy influence of the wine barrel. Slight tone of fruit.

Taste. WOW. Holey f*ck. 4 years ago, regardless of the $12 price point I would have poured this beer out. Now, understanding the process that made this beer it is impressive. This is a palette cleanser. This is like wine and beer had an affair and this is the illegitimate child from that process. Very tart and sour with plenty of pinot noir tones.

Mouthfeel. Tart, dry, semi bitter. SOUR. very nice.

Overall: If you are in search of a sour beer, this is one of the tops, This will light your taste buds up like licking a 9 volt battery!And thats about it, not much for flavor, price point is off by a mile, and this is something that you would rather have a sample of, not too many people would sit down and enjoy this beer IMO, this is one you split between 5 or 6 people just to say you've had it.

alexhahn82, May 08, 2011

As much as i don't like to have superlative reviews, this beer definitely warrants one. Thanks again JCDenver for getting me this beer!!

Served chilled into Bruery tulip
Batch 6

*reviewed from memory of last night's impromptu sour tasting

Appearance: Earthy crimson color, with some definite influence from the barrel for color, and lots of ruby from the cherries. Awesome off-white head sticks around a while, and slowly recedes and leaves some pretty nice lacing. This beer certainly has a very "classic" appearance, for lack of a better word, and is a sexy beer to sit an look at.

Smell: Right off the bat, the cherries come through the nose very strongly, as does the oak. The beer is definitely holding some really vinous-pinot notes on the nose, along with some relatively tame "funk." The "funk" comes through to me, as a sort of clean earthiness, which compliments the cherry so well.

Taste: The cherries are definitely holding their own still! Nice and tart, leading into a more focused sourness which is accompanied by the oak. There are hints of a vanilla quality on the finish, which accompanied with the dryness, make for a really enjoyable sour experience. Makes me sad I only had one bottle of this, and a 12 oz. bottle at that...

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, while being a tad bit on the sticky side; which is very welcomed here. Very nice carbonation, and all the characteristics of sours working together to make this beer extremely enjoyable.

Overall: Simply amazing!! I had wanted to try this beer for a very long time, and upon finally getting the chance, i was worried i would have built it up too much in my expectations. Certainly not the case though, this is a stellar beer. I love the complexity that this beer holds, and i love knowing how much time and effort went into making it. I will without a doubt be getting this again in the near future...

amcmaho1, May 08, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Review #5
Batch 004x5 - 375ml

I had yet to try this beer and recently acquired my first one through a trade (thanks 6DaysBottomOcean!). I couldn't hold out for too long and decided to crack this one open tonight.

Upon removing the cage, just the slightest bit of force sent the cork flying.

A - Pours a deep amber with ruby highlights when held to the light. Pillowy off-white one-finger head that slowly dissipates to reveal itself, leaving sticky lacing around the glass.

S - Tart cherries, pinot, oak from the barrels that nursed this beer as it aged. The funk from the Brett is evident, though balanced nicely.

T - Sweet, tart cherries. Sour, yet balanced extremely well with the oak, I pick up hints of vanilla. Finish is dry, my mouth is watering, craving more.

M - Medium bodied, wonderful carbonation that truly is an asset to the complex flavors at play.

O - This beer is truly a treat and one that I will be seeking out in earnest.

RSchaeffer, May 06, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch 06X2
A: As always I poured it gently into my snifter and was rewarded with a finger of white head. The head doesn't stick around too long . It looks like carbonated cherry juice.

S: Sour cherries, red wine, some oak, a little brett. Its got complexity on its side.

T: Tart cherry, oak flavors and just the right amount of brett funkiness all blended together perfectly. Definitely some wine comparisons. Its sour but not overwhelmingly so.

M: Light bodied and surprisingly very refreshing.

O:Had this on tap a few times at Monk's and I always seem to pick one up when I go to the bottle shop. Definitely my favorite of the -tions. The only bad thing about this beer is that due to the sourness and acidity I wouldn't really want to drink more than one. Overall a great beer!

IdrinkGas, May 05, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

Batch 005x1 375ml

Pours an amber color, good clarity with active carbonation. A clingy white foam is very active at first, but dies down to sticky lacing fairly quick. The aromas are very cool, lots of funk and sour fruit. The taste is decadent, very mellow with active bubbles that fizz on first contact with the tongue. Quickly the onset of sour cherry and orange peel take over with a very complex finish that leaves a lasting and changing funk in your mouth. Nice acidity, not overpowering, very well crafted sour.

Tripphop, May 05, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Walked into Stumptown Coffee this morning to pick up some beans to send my Mom's way (Chattanooga, TN) for Mother's Day. I had an hour or so to kill so I ordered an espresso to drink and hang out with (comped for buying three bags of coffee, sweet!) Then I looked at the tap list... Supplication for, wait for it, $6 a ten ounce pour! At one point I had a shot of espresso, a glass of water, and my goblet of Russian River sour sitting in front of me at the same time. Scanning through my reviews I see I've never reviewed this beer. Time to remedy that.

A: Clear ruby-amber, slightly dirty white thick wisp ring, surprisingly decent lacing. 4.5/5

S: Heavy on the lactic, vanilla, light funk, sweet pie cherries. 4.5/5

T: Here's where the wood comes in a little heavier. Strong vanilla notes, the expected sour cherries, a touch of ripe cheese rind funk, again with a decent dose of lactic acid, slight grape skin tannins, overall a very nice American Wild flavor profile. 4.5/5

M: Fuller than expected with soft carbonation, I wish this wasn't as sticky of a finish but I'm nit-picking. It's pretty dead on for the style. 4/5

O: A solid beer I always enjoy. Today's no exception. As good as they make them in America. For $6 a glass, I'd drink this more often. At $12 a bottle, I'm not buying one of these too frequently. Definitely worth a try though. Seek it out, drink it, enjoy. 4/5

hopsbreath, May 05, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

I have had this on tap and in bottle several times and it is always incredible, not to jump on the hypewagon but someone has to counterblaance the chocolate rain hype train

Russian River Supplication - American Wild Ale - 7% abv

A: Thick three finger head wit a red character to it, light amber with plenty of carbonation, sediment bouncing lazily throughout the glass

S: tart sour notes of bitter cherry and merlot. there's a funk to it, a bit of wet dog, but a sweet wet dog, in taste not disposition

T: Sweet introductory flavor with a strong wave of bitter tartness that is resonant of a sour patch kid, but refined with an aged pinot noir, the taste moves swift with incredible balance, the hops are so minor that they serve more as an escort to serparate the flavors than to impart authority, again the main perk is the incredible balance of sour with the underlying sweet

M: The mouthfeel is just malty enough to carry the sediment and sweet dryness of the beer, any more and it would become a decadent fruit overload, any less and it would travel to a forgettable cider, the perfect balances makes this beer fantastic without overstaying its welcome. The taste imparts a swift jab of sour notes and then quickly resides, like a berry sniper.

D: Some people may feel that the sweet notes are not high enough and the sour creates a poor man's wine experience, I couldn't disagree more. This is incredibly drinkable, not in the power hour sense, in a strictly delightful sense, the type that makes you wish for a couple bombers of, or a huge wallet to acquire these gems. This would find itself equally at home on a boat in the sun, or after a ski trip in the lodge. Incredibly drinkable.

Narrative: The clicking roll and an L2 against an L3 vertebrae makes a percussive click clack with a certain panache that only Briscoe Wellingstone, berryspy extraordinaire can evoke. Some errant sour juice dribbles from the guard's mouth, but Kiwis weren't fit to guard a hostile embassy. He was hired as a young tart currant, trained in the most hostile vineyards, and was raised a pedigree in solitude for 15 months. Only this sour aging could create an agent of such brackish authority, such swiftly petulany candor, bitterly imparting a smooth sourness to the political fruit world. He rounds the foyer of the Tropicanaria, resolute to steal the famed cherry pit of Largesse. A hardened fruit son of a bitch, but with a slippery smoothe discountenance, lovable, yet stern in his demeanor. Mr. Wellingstone peppers the security cameras during an arching slide across the marble flooring. The pit was obtained, a sour finish left in the museum curator's mouth.

SubpoenaDeuces, May 04, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

Top 100 beer review... and this one probably always will be.

I'm bracing myself for this one. As many fine beers that I've tried now, this was absolutely my first time ever trying this one.

I need to thank my good buddies Huhzubendah and biglobo8971 for BOTH sending me bottles of this renowned sour.

Batch 005X1 poured into a tulip at cellar temperature.

No working around of the cork necessary.... this sucker just popped right away!

A: Dark amber color, with ruby highlights when held up to a light source. Mildly off-white head became an oblong bubble formation as it died down.

S: The barrel-aging was evident from the get-go. Brett was totally prominent, but not ridiculous. Sour cherries for sure, along with a good bit of pepper.

T: Mildly jaw-locking, with the RR taste profile on the forefront in spades! The barrel-aging definitely tamed the over the top sourness. Mildly wine-like, but not totally.

M: Definitely carbonated and then some, but much more so than than a fine wine. Fairly thick! I didn't find this one vinegary in the least and was totally state of the art in the Mouthfeel category!

O: This one has earned its place as one of the best sours on the market. Amazing stuff!

Chaney, Apr 30, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

Batch 006X1.
Poured into my newly acquired Russian River belgian glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep reddish/brown mix. About a three quarter finger off white head. A lot of carbonation bubbles from all over the glass. The head does not recede quickly at all. Bubbles in the head are tiny and tightly packed together, looks very nice. However the head has grown to a full finger and will not recede at all, getting a little annoying.

Smell: Dark fruit. Tartness. Some nice funkiness, the brett character really sticks out.

Taste: Strong sourness right off the bat but the sourness seems to fade quickly. Sour cherries. Mouth waters with every sip. Characteristics of the wine come through moreso in the aftertaste. Following the wine is this mix between brett and breadiness. Every sip leaves me wanting more. Tangy. Sourness decreases as the beer warms, but the tartness remains strong.

Mouthfeel: Nice body but it changes over the time spent in the glass. The carconation is released quickly so the first sips are quite carbonated and has a bite from the bubbles. Later on, the carbonation bite is less but the beer smoothes out.

Overall: I am loving sours and this sure helps my experience with them. I liked Consecration more than this but this is still a solid brew. I would gladly take more. I cant wait to see how the other one in my "cellar" matures.

OddNotion, Apr 29, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Batch 5x4. Poured in a Duvel tulip. Courtesy of a trade with CHILLINDYLAN.

Pours a well carbonated orange/red.

Sour cherries (with a vinous quality) are dominant on the nose. Some sweetness to balance the sour.

The vinous qualities mix with the sour cherries on the tongue. Lactic sourness more than acetic, but not puckeringly so. Light to medium feel, crisp carbonation keeps things from getting heavy. The sourness builds as my glass empties, but the sweetness holds on (barely). Not much funk. Dry and a hint of oak on the finish. (Ok, maybe I puckered a bit). Well integrated flavors, just the right sweet and sour balance. Well crafted is the best way to put it.

I've had all 3 of the regular RR sours several times. This is my favorite. I always wonder how hyped this beer would be if it were brewed once with cherries from some tree that died.

caskstrength, Apr 28, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 375ml bottle on 4/22/10.

Appearance - Beautiful orangish brown color, with bubbly white head.

Smell - good, sour, vineger, and cherries, I am not getting a ton of the barrel in the nose, but overall very pleasant.

Taste - delicious sweet tart like cherry with a variety of additional dark fruits fruits and earthiness. Subtle notes from the barrel come through as it warms.

Mouthfeel - very bubbly and compliments the style.

Overall - Fantastic, I have been slowly getting more and more into this style and after having this one I am hooked. Absolutely a world class beer.

pmoore311, Apr 26, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -2%

Number 3 on my Russian River -ation quest.
Pours an orange amber with a tight bubbled head.
Smells of a sour sweet-tart candy.
Tart cherries, and more tart fruits. His one hits you in the jaw. A decent sweetness helps round off the sour, balancing the beverage. Dry crisp finish. This one reminds me of a tart brut. Booze is everso whispering to the palette.
Tight carbonation only further compliments the sour cherries.
This is a great beverage. Russian River's experimentation and attention to detail pays off.

dbmernin83, Apr 25, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a golden orange brown. Very bright when held to the light. It was poured into a tulip glass and it had about a two finger white head. A bit of sediment floating in there as well.

Nose comes off with a medium amount of vinegar at first. A mouthwatering tartness wafts up to the nose and begs for a sip. Some attic mustiness and a rich carameliness.

Sourness comes first in the taste followed by a whipcrack of Brett. Finally finished by a decent amount of sweetness. This beer has a decent amount of residual sugars in it.
Only the slightest hint of vanilla shows from a very old wet wood note and the mustiness once again from the nose. Some esters mostly including apples and tart cherries.

To wrap this up(in comclusion) this beer is medium bodied with ample carbonation. It has a syrupy mouthfeel and a mouthwatering sweet/sour flavor profile acompanied by all of complexities that you'd look for in a beer as deserving as this.

cooch69, Apr 25, 2011

Batch 004x1 from the bottle on Easter.

A: Pours a beautiful dark golden brown, with a ruby hue. The head sticks around a very long time, and leaves sticky lacing on the walls of the glass.

S: Funk leads the charge, followed by a potent tart cherry. There is sone band-aid in the middle. Sweet cherries wrap up the nose.

T: There isn't as my funk as the nose suggests, it's more acidic. Dark fruits dominate tour mid-palate, mostly cherries and plums, before giving way to some funk at the end.

M: Prickly carbonation assists the various flavors. Medium bodied.

D: After having Batch 005 on tap yesterday, I'd say the fresher this beer, the better. When the beer is fresh, the fruit flavors or more vibrant, but the sourness and funkiness levels are a little less abrasive. This beer is delicious at any age, but out of the three batches I've had, I'd rank them in the following order (best to worst): 003, 005, 004

aglose45, Apr 24, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

375mL corked and caged bottle, batch 006x2 poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/21/11

A: Pours a clear dark reddish orange with good carbonation and off white head that leaves plenty of lacing around the glass.

S: Tart cherries and sour barnyardy funk dominate with some oak and malt notes in the background.

T: Tart cherry flavors are carried all over my mouth on a wave of acidic sour funk with hints of oak, red wine and sweet malt. Delicious mouth puckering goodness. Very sour yet you can still taste all of the complexities with each little sip. The tart cherries and oak flavors linger in my mouth and each time I lick my lips I get hit with more delicious sourness and cherries. This is divine.

M: Very sour, smooth and balanced medium-light body that finishes crisp and dry.

O: One of my all time favorite sours. So many great clean and distinct layers of flavor make me keep wanting to take another sip. Exceptional ale that I simply can not get enough of.

Azurescens, Apr 22, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Pours a slightly hazy ruby orange color with a nice tan cap of foam.

S: Nice and tart on the nose with some cherries, wood, a hint of bubblegum, a little marzipan and a bit of funk.

T: I had this a while back on tap and was blown away. Now that I've gotten to try some more of RRs sours, I'm even more blown away because, somehow, this is better than any of the others I've had (and I really like the others).

T: Huge sourness with some sweet malts in the background. The finish is dry with a hint of nuttiness. The sourness is a combination of apple cider vinegar and sour cherries for me and is incredible. This is such an amazing beer.

notchucknorris, Apr 21, 2011