Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,408
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,312 | Reviews: 1,355

4.28/5  rDev -6.1%

Rating based on most current review:

13DEC11 review:
Batch 005x4 - Brewed 2009, bottled May 2010
A: A lovely amber ale pours from the bottle and falls under a finger of taupe foam of fine nature. The foam settles into a solid, thick sheet of the same. Sandy, spotty lace. Excellent clarity. Looks both rustic and inviting. (4.5)
S: What jumps out at me immediately is how much this smells like a Flanders Red now, oak and cherry hues over an apple cider vinegar intonation. There's a tannic characteristic in the nose as well. There's a slight grassy funk which is woven into the tart and woody characteristics quite well. Although there is much going on here, I find the nose a little too delicate. (4)
T: Tart with cherries so dominant. I am very, very surprised on how pronounced the cherry is here. It is followed through with oak, dry grapes, and interesting canned spinach flavor. I'm noting an umami/leather flavor as well. Complex, intriguing. There's a bitter undertone that is just bitter enough to impress me to reserve appreciation for the other flavors, but just as I start to get annoyed, it seems fleeting, and I almost seek out the bitterness to help clean the medium of my tongue. The tart aspect of the beer is inhibited by this bitterness in so much as it accentuates the character and marries the other nuances of the beer together. Seriously, this is really, really well blended beer. Impressive. (4.5)
M: Medium bodied and lively foam conspire to a really velvety feel and as this roams my mouth, I think it will dry it out. Upon swallowing and exhaling, my mouth is simply wet and the notes are warmed via alcohol and blossom back through the mouth. Really nice feel here. I'm hard pressed to think of what I would change here, can't think of a thing, a hard earned 5 here. (5)
O: I am struggling to think of another beer in this particular style I prefer to this one. I am calling this a Flander's Style, and I am only considering one other in the realm that competes for me: Dissident. And only time will tell if the '11 batch will meet expectations. I really enjoy this beer. And although I'm not likely to go out of my way to find it as much, I would likely grab some next time I see it on the shelves. (4)

25JAN11 review:
Batch 005x3 - '09, bottled May 2010
A: Beautiful blood orange color. Light and sandy lemon foam atop ale - two fingers which last for-ev-er. (4.5)
S: The smell of this burst out the bottle as the cork came out. Sour apple, cherry, farm funk, and grain all balance so beautifully I struggle to understand the process of developing this type of complexity in a beer. Goddamn gorgeous. (5)
T: So sour. Deliciously sour. So much going on here, I'm not going to waste time trying to articulate. (5)
M: Lovely carb tone with great latitude when gliding over the palate and I get to savor every. last. drop. (4.5)
D: Don't ever NOT drink this beer. (5)

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Dark amber. Almost brown. Hazy. Small white head.

S - Slight fruit. Sour cherries. Vinegar. Soft.

T - Sour cherries. Tart funk. Oak wood. Sweet leather. Complex.

M - Tart pucker. Dry. Lingers. Ends smooth.

O - A beautiful beer. Such a clean sour ale. And done with such a new world style. I love this beer. Will definitely be drinking again.

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

A – Bright orange-brown with little to no head.

S – Dry tart cherry. Relatively soft.

T – A smooth body and prickly carbonation pave the way for a tidal wave of tart, unripe white peach, tanniny fruit pits, and dried leaves. The sourness somehow manages to be both bracing and restrained; pushing your palate to the edge, but not over it.

M – Medium frame with a nice smoothness. Dry finish.

O – A great, uncompromising, sour.

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

375ml bottle bought on vacation at Whole Foods in La Jolla. Served in a wine glass. Batch 8

a:murky red and orange. Looks like there is a good level of carbonation. Minimal head that fades quickly.

s: tart sour cherries, some citrus in there. Can tell there will be a good level of acid.

t: cherries up front. there is vanilla and oak in there. Good level of souriness in there without being overpowering and taking away from the cherries.

m: good carbination on the tip of your tongue at the beginning. It's not thin, but not syrupy either.

This beer is world class. Perfect amount of tartness and I am a sucker for cherry beers.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company